The Official 5/1/2010 MCAT Club...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MegaSpectacular

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let the games begin...

Members don't see this ad.

Small side note:
Anyone begin thinking about the writing section?
I think I'm going to take a break from my practice tests on Friday and focus on the writing section and review some sciences.
Then relax and night and watch the Yankees play and the NBA playoffs :D.

I took a practice test Tuesday (10/5/incomplete), Wednesday (12/10/11) and Thursday (13/10/11) AND went to school the last two days- I need to take it easy :thumbup:.

good idea to take a break so u dont burn out

as for writing, im going to just wing it and hope i dont get anything lower than an O lol. i know i can write english and answer the prompt the only hard thing is coming up with examples so hopefully my adrenaline will help me out

good idea to take a break so u dont burn out

as for writing, im going to just wing it and hope i dont get anything lower than an O lol. i know i can write english and answer the prompt the only hard thing is coming up with examples so hopefully my adrenaline will help me out

I suggest you look at the TPR books and just lock down the format of the writing, and once you get the format down and know how to write common English, I am pretty sure you can get an N/O. With good examples, that can go up to a P or a Q.

I suggest you look at the TPR books and just lock down the format of the writing, and once you get the format down and know how to write common English, I am pretty sure you can get an N/O. With good examples, that can go up to a P or a Q.

good idea

go yanks haaa...not a baseball fan but if u like em, i like em

LAKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!>>>MCAT + THUNDER

Members don't see this ad :)
Do we really have to arrive at the MCAT center 30 minutes prior to our test? I mean it's 8:00a.
I don't wanna have to wake up super early. I plan on getting there at least 10 minutes before. I heard they always start late anyways to get everyone situated.
What are you guys planning to do?

Do we really have to arrive at the MCAT center 30 minutes prior to our test? I mean it's 8:00a.
I don't wanna have to wake up super early. I plan on getting there at least 10 minutes before. I heard they always start late anyways to get everyone situated.
What are you guys planning to do?

wake up, throw on some eggs and tea and get going lol

just dont be late

Just took AAMC 7 and got a 34. Not very happy about this because my last one was 37. I made some dumb mistakes too which always is annoying. The only good thing was that my improvement on verbal continued. Finally got to the point where I do not mind verbal at all.

About the Lakers, I was hoping they would win last night so they could close it out in 4. That way I wouldn't have to watch extra games right before the test. God forbid there is like a game 7 in LA on April 30th lol. I dunno what I would do.

Just took AAMC 7 and got a 34. Not very happy about this because my last one was 37. I made some dumb mistakes too which always is annoying. The only good thing was that my improvement on verbal continued. Finally got to the point where I do not mind verbal at all.

About the Lakers, I was hoping they would win last night so they could close it out in 4. That way I wouldn't have to watch extra games right before the test. God forbid there is like a game 7 in LA on April 30th lol. I dunno what I would do.

PS, is it wrong that I went to UCLA and I don't like Russell Westbrook and I HATE Matt Barnes?

LOL westbrook is a baller no joke but i got u on barnes (hes kinda dirty).

as for the AAMC7 thats still a really good score dude. ive realized that it almost always comes down to having a good verbal score, so just be strong with that and you'll do great.

i hope no game 7, i want there to be a game 1 for round 2 hopefully i can watch that the day before my test, and kobe for 3 for the win... what a way to go into my test lol

so what are you guys doing for this last week? i have no idea to what even look at other than take my 2 remaining tests

what are you guys going to do?

so what are you guys doing for this last week? i have no idea to what even look at other than take my 2 remaining tests

what are you guys going to do?

I want to review all my notes at least once, and then focus on my troublesome areas the most.. which will basically include going through extra chem, physics, and orgo problems

I also have AAMC 9 and 10 left for next week, and whatever passages come with the MCAT guide

I want to review all my notes at least once, and then focus on my troublesome areas the most.. which will basically include going through extra chem, physics, and orgo problems

I also have AAMC 9 and 10 left for next week, and whatever passages come with the MCAT guide

yeah im going to go through that book on thurs and fri

notes and some old practice passages for me probably

1 week!!!!!!!!

My last week consists of this:

Saturday: TBR Bio Passages for Ch. 9 and 10
Sunday: AAMC 8
Monday: The whole EK Physics book (skim through the whole book and do all the lecture questions again just to revive my knowledge and make sure I remember everything)
Tuesday: AAMC 9
Wednesday: EK Gen Chem book same reason
Thursday: AAMC 10
Friday: EK Orgo for a little bit just to have all the reactions in my head.

Saturday: Dominate

Members don't see this ad :)
My last week consists of this:

Saturday: TBR Bio Passages for Ch. 9 and 10
Sunday: AAMC 8
Monday: The whole EK Physics book (skim through the whole book and do all the lecture questions again just to revive my knowledge and make sure I remember everything)
Tuesday: AAMC 9
Wednesday: EK Gen Chem book same reason
Thursday: AAMC 10
Friday: EK Orgo for a little bit just to have all the reactions in my head.

Saturday: Dominate

haha good planning

my last week will be
sat: aamc 9+review
sun-tues: physics, gchem, ochem, bio notes+skim notes and do as much of the online bank as possible
wed aamc 10+review
thurs-fri: mcat guide + ochem

saturday: bust 81 points like kobe did in january 06 in the PS
2 buzzer beaters in 01 in the same game against portland (last one was a 3 in double OT to win the game) in the VR
4 championships in the WS
and a 3 at the buzzer to win game 7 against cleveland in LeBricks face in cleveland for championship #5 for the BS

sounds like a deal!

I hated AAMC #7, too.

I'm taking 9 today, but in parts. I got an 11 in PS, after getting a 15 on #6. I'm annoyed. 4 different questions I had it down to the right answer and 1 wrong answer, and I picked the wrong one. I went back and changed them to see what could have been... a 13. :mad:

I can't wait to be done with this ****.

I hated AAMC #7, too.

I'm taking 9 today, but in parts. I got an 11 in PS, after getting a 15 on #6. I'm annoyed. 4 different questions I had it down to the right answer and 1 wrong answer, and I picked the wrong one. I went back and changed them to see what could have been... a 13. :mad:

I can't wait to be done with this ****.

if youre on their website, you can click "how the mcat is scored" and itl show u the scale for all the CBT tests, thats how i usually get pissed when im 1 question from the higher score lol

anyone who took AAMC 8:
Did you think the verbal was harder than the other AAMCs?
I really couldn't understand half the passages and the questions were a little obscure. Just wondering if it's just me...

Also, I notice it seems like you guys are actually studying Friday before the test. Pretty intense. I think if I don't take a break Friday, I'll be too burned out on Saturday. Just me though.

quick re: AAMC 8 VR.. if it helps, I also did poorly..

I completely had the wrong idea on the lit study passage and missed all 7 of the associated questions : ).

Best of luck to you all, remember to stay healthy! (I'm feeling burn out, taking the rest of the day off)

I just took AAMC #7 and somehow got a 36. I'm hoping this is some sort of breakthrough and not an outlier since I was averaging about 30 on AAMC 3-6, but was eating pizza and taking poops during verbal #7 and somehow managed a 13. I didn't even know what was going on is some of the bio either. But some people say there's a difference b/w 3-6 and 7-10 so who knows.

P.S. The Lebrons are gonna win it all this year. Kobe is gonna be washed up within 3 years.

Just took AAMC 10. My verbal score landed in the toilet.. 8 not sure WHAT happened. ugh. Guess I'll look into it later. Anyone else take a practice test today?

I just took AAMC #7 and somehow got a 36. I'm hoping this is some sort of breakthrough and not an outlier since I was averaging about 30 on AAMC 3-6, but was eating pizza and taking poops during verbal #7 and somehow managed a 13. I didn't even know what was going on is some of the bio either. But some people say there's a difference b/w 3-6 and 7-10 so who knows.

P.S. The Lebrons are gonna win it all this year. Kobe is gonna be washed up within 3 years.

first, congrats on the score

u may be right about this year because kobe is injured, but please dont get into the whole "lebron is better than kobe" debate, i always come out on top with that one;). kobe wont be washed if he gets his finger surgery and gets a summer's rest his knees are banged up he cant get any elevation.

if lebron doesnt win this year then there is something seriously wrong. cavs have him, williams, shaq (probably the greatest center everrr) and jamison plus the best bench who can all shoot....

first, congrats on the score

u may be right about this year because kobe is injured, but please dont get into the whole "lebron is better than kobe" debate, i always come out on top with that one;). kobe wont be washed if he gets his finger surgery and gets a summer's rest his knees are banged up he cant get any elevation.

if lebron doesnt win this year then there is something seriously wrong. cavs have him, williams, shaq (probably the greatest center everrr) and jamison plus the best bench who can all shoot....

LOL....I actually don't really like either Kobe or Lebron, but I do like watching both of them in the playoffs, along with Steve "God of Pass" Nash. I don't think you can argue he supporting cast argument...Kobe has Gasol, Bynum, Odom, and Artest. That is ridiculous. Lebron def does have a better cast this year, but for a while (when Williams and West were out, and Jamison wasn't traded there yet) they went like 10-0 and Lebron was single-handidly the best team in the NBA. And it's nowhere near the Lakers' roster. Plus Shaq is washed up, he spends more time at Burger King than he does on the practice court.

Actually, I think there's a decent chance neither the Lebrons or the Lakers make it to the finals. The Magic have looked good, and the Spurs have looked good, two teams that respectively give the Lebrons and the Lakers a lot of trouble.

LOL....I actually don't really like either Kobe or Lebron, but I do like watching both of them in the playoffs, along with Steve "God of Pass" Nash. I don't think you can argue he supporting cast argument...Kobe has Gasol, Bynum, Odom, and Artest. That is ridiculous. Lebron def does have a better cast this year, but for a while (when Williams and West were out, and Jamison wasn't traded there yet) they went like 10-0 and Lebron was single-handidly the best team in the NBA. And it's nowhere near the Lakers' roster. Plus Shaq is washed up, he spends more time at Burger King than he does on the practice court.

Actually, I think there's a decent chance neither the Lebrons or the Lakers make it to the finals. The Magic have looked good, and the Spurs have looked good, two teams that respectively give the Lebrons and the Lakers a lot of trouble.

good point, i guess we shall see in a few weeks

as for me i just finished my test and i got my highest score thus far!!!:wow:

aamc#9: 15-8-12 i only missed 1 question in PS! and i thought this BS was really hard and still managed to do really well

as for the verbal...i don't know what to do anymore i just have to hope for the best. I REALLY thought this was the easiest verbal of any of the practice tests, and still did horribly

overall though, i would not be upset with that score on the real thing even though its lopsided

damn it what should i do for verballllllllll:scared:

I have been getting low 30's on all my AAMC's (3-5). Yesterday I took AAMC6 and got a 36. WUT! Mixed feelings about that one. I think it had a lot to do with trivial detailed knowledge.

On my way to 7-10 and reviewing.

Saturday is approaching.

I have been getting low 30's on all my AAMC's (3-5). Yesterday I took AAMC6 and got a 36. WUT! Mixed feelings about that one. I think it had a lot to do with trivial detailed knowledge.

On my way to 7-10 and reviewing.

Saturday is approaching.

wow 4 tests in a week haha goodluck and good job

i think i want to take a break tonight and go out hmmmmm

good point, i guess we shall see in a few weeks

as for me i just finished my test and i got my highest score thus far!!!:wow:

aamc#9: 15-8-12 i only missed 1 question in PS! and i thought this BS was really hard and still managed to do really well

as for the verbal...i don't know what to do anymore i just have to hope for the best. I REALLY thought this was the easiest verbal of any of the practice tests, and still did horribly

overall though, i would not be upset with that score on the real thing even though its lopsided

damn it what should i do for verballllllllll:scared:

Dude! Nice job on PS!

I'm taking #9 today, too. I only got an 11 on PS. I thought it was harder than a few of the others I've taken. But I just finished the verbal section and got a 12! 4 questions wrong, and they were pretty much all ones that I had narrowed down to two answers but picked the wrong one. If I'd had a little more time I think I might have changed them. I got 10s more often at first and have gotten more 11's recently, but I felt capped there. It was nice to see some improvement!

I will take BS after my kid goes to bed. How was the BS section, as far as Bio vs. O-chem goes?

Do you have the EK 101 book? I have been doing some of the passages in it the last few days and i felt a LOT more confident taking this VR section. It felt a lot easier to eliminate wrong answers.

You have been pretty solid in your sciences, BB. If I were you, I'd definitely focus most of my attention this week on VR. You don't need me to tell you it's holding you back. GL!

Dude! Nice job on PS!

I'm taking #9 today, too. I only got an 11 on PS. I thought it was harder than a few of the others I've taken. But I just finished the verbal section and got a 12! 4 questions wrong, and they were pretty much all ones that I had narrowed down to two answers but picked the wrong one. If I'd had a little more time I think I might have changed them. I got 10s more often at first and have gotten more 11's recently, but I felt capped there. It was nice to see some improvement!

I will take BS after my kid goes to bed. How was the BS section, as far as Bio vs. O-chem goes?

Do you have the EK 101 book? I have been doing some of the passages in it the last few days and i felt a LOT more confident taking this VR section. It felt a lot easier to eliminate wrong answers.

You have been pretty solid in your sciences, BB. If I were you, I'd definitely focus most of my attention this week on VR. You don't need me to tell you it's holding you back. GL!

the bio i thought was a little harder but the ochem was a lot easier. but i think its all relative what was hard for me might be really easy for you.

yeah ive done almost all the EK101 book, starting out getting 7s on them and now im getting 9s and 10s consistently but its not showing up on these tests. i have like 3-4 tests left in the book im going to do this week, and look over old tests again

for some odd reason, i feel like its because of the whole CBT reading on a computer....i feel way more comfortable reading on paper

the bio i thought was a little harder but the ochem was a lot easier. but i think its all relative what was hard for me might be really easy for you.

yeah ive done almost all the EK101 book, starting out getting 7s on them and now im getting 9s and 10s consistently but its not showing up on these tests. i have like 3-4 tests left in the book im going to do this week, and look over old tests again

for some odd reason, i feel like its because of the whole CBT reading on a computer....i feel way more comfortable reading on paper

I felt the SAME way!

Any of you PS whizzes have some tips for that section? I can get about 10-11 on the PS section, but can't seem to get over that hump. I think my problem is when a question is asked I don't know what exactly formula or concept to apply, or I can't connect concepts together, or I don't know exactly what the question is asking. I feel like I have most of the content solid, with a few weaknesses, but then again who doesn't. I do look over all the questions on the AAMCs, but it doesn't help much.

Any of you PS whizzes have some tips for that section? I can get about 10-11 on the PS section, but can't seem to get over that hump. I think my problem is when a question is asked I don't know what exactly formula or concept to apply, or I can't connect concepts together, or I don't know exactly what the question is asking. I feel like I have most of the content solid, with a few weaknesses, but then again who doesn't. I do look over all the questions on the AAMCs, but it doesn't help much.

Work on practice problems for each chapter/unit in Chem and Physics- the entire section is just applying concepts. If you know what your looking for and you know the equations, you can easily get a 12+. Just jot down the variables they give you and think of a formula that includes all of them and you will nail it!

Anyway, my remaining MCAT Schedule looks like this:
Saturday: AAMC #8
Sunday: AAMC #7
Monday: Writing-EK101-Review Science that I don't know
Tuesday: AAMC #10
Wednesday: Writing-EK101-Review Science that I don't now
Thursday: AAMC #9
Friday: Writing-EK101
Saturday: ;) AAMC #11 (or at least treat it like a practice)

If I stick to the schedule, that would mean I did not do practice test #6- I hope that doesn't hurt me. I am skipping it so I can finish 7-10 before my test and give myself enough breaks in the middle.

The thing that is keeping me chugging along is just envisioning my summer break once I mail out my applications and just wait for the supplemental and once I mail those out.

Those times will be so chill! BBQs, going to Yankee games, playing basketball and baseball virtually everyday, going to movies, going to the gym, going on road trips- A lot of things I haven't done in literally the entire calendar year! I'll be taking a couple of summer courses and volunteering at Radiology, but it will feel like I'm at Aruba compared to the amount of work and stress I had to deal with over the last 4 months!

11/12/12 on AAMC #9. I'm pretty pleased. 35+ is my goal and I seem to be on track for it. More than half of my mistakes in the science sections are stupid test taking mistakes like missing a word that I'm praying won't be the case when I'm actually AT Prometric and as distraction-free as possible.

What is the highest possible composite from all the practice MCATs you've taken? DON'T post what your lowest would be, we're thinking positively here!

15/12/13 here. A 40! My highest BS was so close to a 14, too, but I certainly wouldn't care if I got a freakin' 40 on the real thing. OMFG, I would just pee.

11/12/12 on AAMC #9. I'm pretty pleased. 35+ is my goal and I seem to be on track for it. More than half of my mistakes in the science sections are stupid test taking mistakes like missing a word that I'm praying won't be the case when I'm actually AT Prometric and as distraction-free as possible.

What is the highest possible composite from all the practice MCATs you've taken? DON'T post what your lowest would be, we're thinking positively here!

15/12/13 here. A 40! My highest BS was so close to a 14, too, but I certainly wouldn't care if I got a freakin' 40 on the real thing. OMFG, I would just pee.

My highest composite is the exact same as my highest overall score on my four AAMC tests and that's a 34, which I would love (13/10/11)

I just took AAMC 8 and I died on it.
My PS score dipped to an 11 and my verbal went down to single digits 9. I also thought I did a lot better in Bio, but it turns out I got the same score I've gotten on the other 2 practice tests (11).

AAMC4: 12 PS, 10 VR, 11 BS- 33
AAMC5: 13 PS, 10 VR, 11 BS- 34
AAMC8: 11 PS, 09 VR, 11 BS- 31

I heard the AAMC8's verbal was ridiculous for some people, so I guess I'm happy I only dropped 1 pt.
Back to the drawing board.

Sidenote: I noticed on the practice tests that the tie freezes when the 'you have 45 minutes remaining' and 'you have 5 minutes remaining' pop up.
If that happens during the actual test.... JACKPOT :)

But it prob doesn't...:thumbdown:

mine is a 15/10/14 39 man that would be amazing....i don't know how you guys are pulling 11s and 12s on verbal its just impossible for me i always hit like 2 passages i dont get and miss like 5/6 of the questions and it killss my score

anyways, it felt good to go out tonight and free up my mind for this last week

Don't read what people are posting on the April MCAT that just occurred yesterday... so depressing.

Anyways, I took Kaplan 10 PS and BS and it was freakin' hard but that was expected. Got a 9, 10 respectively. In the middle I did AAMC 3 verbal and got a 12!!! Highest score yet.

Was the verbal for 3 easier? Hoping it's not.

Highest score possible on practice: 13, 12, 13 = 38.
That's what I'll get on the real thing. :)

I'm going to agree with everyone about the VR for AAMC 8. I didn't know what was going on!!! Started to have a mini meltdown. I wound up getting a 9, so I guess I can't be too upset. Did anyone else think the PS on AAMC 8 was tough? I've been doing fairly well on PS, but I completely bombed it yesterday.

i really dont know how you guys are pulling 12s on verbal. ive pretty much gone through all my verbal material (and its alot of stuff lol) and i have never gotten a 12

i guess i will have to try and pull something out of my @ss :/

Don't read what people are posting on the April MCAT that just occurred yesterday... so depressing.

The last two or three MCATs, people were going on about how hard they were. I'm trying to make myself feel better by thinking they're due for an easier test... ours.

I'm going to agree with everyone about the VR for AAMC 8. I didn't know what was going on!!! Started to have a mini meltdown. I wound up getting a 9, so I guess I can't be too upset. Did anyone else think the PS on AAMC 8 was tough? I've been doing fairly well on PS, but I completely bombed it yesterday.

My PS score went from 12-13 on AAMC4 and 5 to an 11 on AAMC8.
My VR score also dipped from a 10-10 on AAMC 4 and 5 to a 9 on AAMC8...

I am about to take AAMC9 and own it so hopefully it was just a one test thing!

Check out my awesome Paint artwork...

250v2nr.jpg

Just took AAMC #8...

That verbal was Redonkulous (yes, with a capital R). It had really tough and boring passages coupled with really tough questions. I consider myself solid at verbal in the sense that I never get below 10, but I just barely made it this time and I was thanking the lord. I thought that AAMC #7 was similar in that it had difficult, convoluted, and boring passages, but the questions were a lot easier, and I did much better on that one. I also find that I get completely owned by the art passages. Damn artists.

I thought he BS and PS were normal. I'm pretty weak at the PS, but I managed a 12 which was my highest yet. BS was also pretty normal, it had stuff that I consider my self weak on but I still hit a 12.

I think there is a diff b/w AAMC 3-6 and AAMC 7-10. The PS on 7-10 seem more calculation heavy, while the BS sections seem to require more reading comprehension and application skills. I guess people also say this is a more accurate reflection of the real MCAT.

I also just took AAMC 8 too. I didn't do very well, it was one of my worst performances which sucks. I got a 33 (12 10 11) and I thought that the solubility questions on PS were a little confusing with all the different colors. I thought that it was overall one of the harder AAMCs. Anyone else have trouble with 8?

I also just took AAMC 8 too. I didn't do very well, it was one of my worst performances which sucks. I got a 33 (12 10 11) and I thought that the solubility questions on PS were a little confusing with all the different colors. I thought that it was overall one of the harder AAMCs. Anyone else have trouble with 8?

thats wierd i got my second highest score on aamc 8 lol

u guys think its bad if i redo the old aamc VR sections of the old tests that i kinda forgot about anyways? just to get some more practice with verbal so i can hopefully get it up to a 10?

6 dayssssssssssss

I have been going over the old practice tests I've already taken, to see if I've learned from my mistakes. I know it's not the best representation of that, but I've already paid for them and it can't hurt.

I plan on taking a practice test today, Tuesday and Thursday...
I have AAMC 6,7,9,10 remaining

Does anyone recommend the order I should take three of those four?
I hear 9, 10 are more similar to the actual exam...
I might need a confidence boost for Thursdays.....

Any ideas?

IMO, if you want a confidence boost on Thursday, take #6. I thought #7 was worse than #8. I took #9 yesterday and I did pretty well. I'm taking #10 sometime this week and that's probably it for me.