The Official 8/17/2012 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LaurenMarie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's all dread this date together! :scared:

How/when are you guys studying? (i.e. SN2ed, Kaplan, TBR)

EDIT: I'm attaching simple charts I made to keep track of my progress for each set of passages for the SN2ed schedule. Its helpful to monitor how you are progressing and will show you what areas to work on. ENJOY :)

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Physics Passage Scores.doc
    79 KB · Views: 253
  • Biology Passage Scores.doc
    73 KB · Views: 141
  • Organic Chemistry Passage Scores.doc
    67 KB · Views: 118
  • Verbal Reasoning.doc
    143 KB · Views: 109
  • General Chemistry Passage Scores.doc
    79.5 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
"I really wish instead of the typical math for liberal arts course that most non science freshman have to take, schools would do something like a mash up between feeling for numbers (magnitudes etc - so many people never wonder or question differences of 3 orders of magnitude and they never truly get a feeling for what that means), discrete math and combinatorics (people count in horrendous ways)"

They have those-it's called elementary school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else had MCAT score release dreams yet? I didn't think I was going to run into these, but last night I had a nightmare that scores got released 2 weeks early and I got a 32 (yes I'm aware that a dream where you get a 32 is hardly a nightmare for most people). I was so glad when I woke up :scared:

My god this happens to me about every other night...I thought I was the only one. The wait is horrendous. I wouldn't be too upset with a 35, but a 36+ would be the best possible outcome of this wait.

I had a dream the other night that the AAMC called me at around midnight and told me that somehow my score had been erased from their systems. They then told me that I had to take the test the very next morning at a testing center about 3 hours away and that the score that I got then would be the only score I could ever submit to med schools. So dream me, being at college and not having a car, starts freaking out and trying to figure out how to get to the testing center and all that. Then my roommate's whiteboard fell off the wall and knocked down a shelf of our books and stuff and I woke up in a nervous sweat.

Gah, I cannot wait until scores come out >.<

Anyone else had MCAT score release dreams yet? I didn't think I was going to run into these, but last night I had a nightmare that scores got released 2 weeks early and I got a 32 (yes I'm aware that a dream where you get a 32 is hardly a nightmare for most people). I was so glad when I woke up :scared:

A week ago i had a dream and in it i saw three numbers written in a row format, just like when you check yr scores when you login to the MCAT testing history (THx) system and they were in order of 11 12 11...a 12 in VR :laugh:

a couple of weeks ago, I had a dream about my scores coming out being 32 as well, exactly the same as my last mcat. i forget the details of the dream, but i came out of it feeling like ****. but two days ago, after being stopped at the immigration for an invalid visa, sent flying back from where I had just come from, climbed tiredly into bed and crashed, I dreamed that I got a 41...I can only hope it's one of those dreams that peer briefly into my future. Anyone ever get those dreams? Like when you're awake you see a scene where you felt like you have seen in a dream before?

Members don't see this ad :)
do you guys feel better or worse about your scores as time progresses?
I oscillate between thinking I got 40+ and thinking I got low 30s. Right now I'm just assuming I got +/- 2 of my average and leaving it at that since there's no way to figure out the odds anymore than that. One thing that's putting my mind at ease is that my practice test performance was pretty stable, and I honestly don't think the test could have gone any better than it did (fully rested, not anxious, finished every section with plenty of time to spare, test was geared almost exclusively to my strengths), so I think it's pretty unlikely my score on this one slipped below my average barring any bull**** from the curve.

You are lucky, bro. I had trouble sleeping the night before, until about 1:30 AM. I ended up with like 7.5 hours of sleep and felt a bit tired; hopefully that didn't affect my performance. I feel the same about the scores though, since I can't predict anymore because of the experimental questions thrown into each section.

Last edited:
One of my friends posted on facebook about some movie playing on AMC. I read it as AAMC..

The MCAT is over (for now at least), yet it is still consuming my life :thumbdown:

I really wish I had time to sit and wonder how the test went. Honestly speaking, past the day I took the test (when I felt like poop) I haven't even had time to feel bad. Between taking 6 classes, teaching 4, shadowing, gym and spending 6 hours a week with my gf I don't have time. I don't know how everyone does. :(

I hope the curve on the PS section isn't too rough, since everyone's been commenting on how easy it was for them. Anyone have thoughts on the verbal?

i'm pretty sure the schedule says we get our scores back the 18th...not the 17th :(....
but at this point i'm whatever about it. i'm preparing myself for a 28 so that i'll be happy if i get anything over that...although i feel worse about my score every day that passes. i'm just so tired of worrying about it!!!!!!!

i'm pretty sure the schedule says we get our scores back the 18th...not the 17th :(....
but at this point i'm whatever about it. i'm preparing myself for a 28 so that i'll be happy if i get anything over that...although i feel worse about my score every day that passes. i'm just so tired of worrying about it!!!!!!!
What schedule? I didn't know there was one.

I'll be pissed if that's true though. I thought scores were coming back 30 days after the test, which would have been Sept. 16th.

So the 8/16 and 8/17 scores are being released 9/18. Man, you have to wait 2 days longer. Some have to wait even longer.
https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/mcat/reserving/261800/deadlineandscorerelease.html
Yes, I'm not happy that I have to wait 2 days longer considering that means dragging out an anxiety ridden wait even longer. 2 days may not be much, but finding out you have to wait longer for any period of time sucks. Just look at all the threads where people are freaking out because the score release took a couple hours longer than they thought. It's not about the length of the wait, it's having the goal post moved farther away, get it?

Lighten up.

I wish there were some lobbying the thousands of pre-meds could do to shorten the turn around time on the scores :laugh:. Seriously though, I've spent TWO MONTHS of this year waiting on mcat scores (retaker here)... two full months of agony. I can understand a week or maybe two, but an entire 30 days is so ridiculous... but, what can you do.

Surprisingly I think I'm feeling a little better since the shock has worn off... although I probably shouldn't be feeling any better lol. I still have questions seared into my brain that I wasn't sure of, or knew I screwed up on after the fact (like looking at scratch work and noticing math mistakes from rushing).

I am really starting to freak out now. A couple people I know at school who wrote their tests in the week or two before us are NOT getting great scores. This freaks me out because I consider these people to be much smarter than I. I felt like test day went as good as it could have gone for me, but now I am not so sure.

I am really starting to freak out now. A couple people I know at school who wrote their tests in the week or two before us are NOT getting great scores. This freaks me out because I consider these people to be much smarter than I. I felt like test day went as good as it could have gone for me, but now I am not so sure.

Yeah, I'm starting to really freak out too. Part of me feels like I got 40+ and then another part of me feels like the test seemed too easy and I must have screwed up somewhere. Ugh...

Something to keep in mind about friends' scores though is that most people aren't as hardcore about MCAT prep as SDN. You have to ask what they were getting on practice tests and how long they studied. I knew people who had big score drops after studying for only a month with examkrackers, or people who studied inefficiently with a single book and only took one practice test. Also keep in mind that scores above 32-33 are rare, and that 25-28 are actually extremely common. Coming from a top 20 where it seemed like most people got 28-32 scores, I can tell you that their "low" scores were a result of piss poor studying and not an intelligence issue.

Yeah, I'm starting to really freak out too. Part of me feels like I got 40+ and then another part of me feels like the test seemed too easy and I must have screwed up somewhere. Ugh...

Something to keep in mind about friends' scores though is that most people aren't as hardcore about MCAT prep as SDN. You have to ask what they were getting on practice tests and how long they studied. I knew people who had big score drops after studying for only a month with examkrackers, or people who studied inefficiently with a single book and only took one practice test. Also keep in mind that scores above 32-33 are rare, and that 25-28 are actually extremely common. Coming from a top 20 where it seemed like most people got 28-32 scores, I can tell you that their "low" scores were a result of piss poor studying and not an intelligence issue.

Ok. This makes me feel better...for like a day or two, lol! Thanks!

OCDOCD, I love that your problem is that you thought it was too easy, hahah! I wish I had that concern lol. Curious to see what you get though - I'm rootin for ya since you were the only one 100% confident about bio.
Im only really worried about my marked questions. I didnt have time to go back and check them and I usually do. Otherwise, the exam went just as well as the practice tests (save the one bio passage that I can purposefully no longer remember lol).

I hate that I have NOOOOOOOOOO clue about verbal though. I'm gonna hug a hobo if I get over 12.

im from 8/16. im pretty piss scared too. like legitimately i need to hit a lotto ticket to do well. man that bio was just straight up mean.

luckily i dont have class on wed so i can just sleep all day when i find out my score

Although it cannot offer me any real relief, I think that reading the comments on this thread every so often is the only thing that keeps me from going insane while I wait for the scores to be released. I hope that the PS section wasn't curved too harshly since I anticipate it to be my highest section, and I hope even more that the BS curve was favorable, since I found it to be on the difficult side (to say the least). And I'm praying the verbal went alright, since I definitely consider it a wild card.

We've only got a litte over 5 days to wait, and then all of our feelings of uncertainty will terminate. Here's hoping that we're all pleasantly surprised.:xf:

I'm so ready for Tuesday. I've already got my waterproof mascara ready.

I have lab a couple hours after scores are released. I'm not sure if I should check them before class or wait until after.. :scared:

I'm so ready for Tuesday. I've already got my waterproof mascara ready.

I have lab a couple hours after scores are released. I'm not sure if I should check them before class or wait until after.. :scared:

I have Orgo lab DURING the release and will be sneaking out with my laptop to "use the bathroom". That way I can cry in private if necessary.

I have Orgo lab DURING the release and will be sneaking out with my laptop to "use the bathroom". That way I can cry in private if necessary.

I have class as well on the release date! I am nervous but ready to know if I need to take it again and withdraw AMCAS. I have come to terms with my situation, and I will not be sad and cry all day. I will adjust and move forward because I know one day I will be in medical school, however it may just not be this year. Which might actually work out for the better for me. However still hopeful! :):):):)

Had the best dream ever that I got a 48 on the MCAT. Then I woke up to realize that it's not even possible, haha. Less than 5 days guys!

How are you guys thinking about opening your scores on THx? Are you going to zoom-in on individual sub-section scores in order of (VR, PS, WS, BS, total) or are you to going look at all of the sub-section scores simultaneously.

How are you guys thinking about opening your scores on THx? Are you going to zoom-in on individual sub-section scores in order of (VR, PS, WS, BS, total) or are you to going look at all of the sub-section scores simultaneously.
Can you even do that? I thought the screen just gives you a single line with your scores on it such that you see everything all at once. By the time you zoomed in you'd already know what all your scores were anyway.

Regardless, I'll just look at everything all at once. No sense in dragging this out any longer.