The Official 8/4/12 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mehd School

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who's in? I just rescheduled from June 21st. I've been studying off and on since late march, but really started to kick it in about three weeks ago. Applying DO this cycle.

:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can test takers post their practice test average, their predicted score immediately after taking exam and their actual score?

I'm freaaaaaking out..... Do I check after or before my work out? If after after or before the giants game LOL I hate being in a horrible mood...... After the first two I was depressed for weeeks

1st time 25R 8vr9ps8bs
today: 27S 10vr9ps8bs

I have ~ a 3.8 sci and cum gpa. I'm satisfied either way and will be thrilled to be a DO or MD. So ****ing happy it's done.

Members don't see this ad :)
PS:10 VR:12 BS:12 WS:p

LOL P in ws effff. kind of surprised about PS as I only got 11 and 12 in practice but THRILLED with the two 12's. YES VR! :)

01/27/2012 - 8/11/10 O
08/04/2012 - 11/11/11 N

Yay!! I was worried about verbal score but it came out fine.
I am really happy with balanced score :)
I already sold all my MCAT books :p

Jan 2011: 27Q (8/10/9)
Aug 4 2012: 32S (10/11/11)

Waitlisted for my top school last year. Sooo happy and relieved right now, I don't even know what to do.

wow sdn has some smart ppl! good job guys. i have honestly spent about 6 months of my life full time studying for this. so annoying i wish i was a bit smarter but oh well.

Jan 2011: 27Q (8/10/9)
Aug 4 2012: 32S (10/11/11)

Waitlisted for my top school last year. Sooo happy and relieved right now, I don't even know what to do.

Wow dude I got the exact same! I was pretty bummed because I got 34-36 on practices and wanted 33 but **** it!!!!!!!!!

29 R... 9/10/10. I am super surprised about that 9 in verbal. I was averaging 11's on all the AAMCs with a 12 on AAMC 10 and a 11 on AAMC 11. Thought I did better on Bio as well. Guess I'll be rewriting. Congrats to everyone who did well.

EGADS THE WAIT IS OVER.

SCOREEEE
PS 10
BS 11
VR 10
Q

I'm just so happy to be 30+ and DONEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. Hurrah for that bellcurve on BS! :laugh::thumbup:

CONGRATS EVERYBODY! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

EGADS THE WAIT IS OVER.

SCOREEEE
PS 10
BS 11
VR 10
Q

I'm just so happy to be 30+ and DONEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. Hurrah for that bellcurve on BS! :laugh::thumbup:

CONGRATS EVERYBODY! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Yeah, I guess since we all probably bombed it, it ended up okay :)

9 VR - 11 PS - 13 BS - 33R
Gutted about VR but when it comes to quickly interpreting humanities passages I am hopeless.

10 VR, 10 PS, 11 BS!!!!!!!!!!! 31Q!!!

Soooooo happy! This is my 3rd time taking the MCAT and, let's just say, this score is much better than the previous times.

:soexcited: :soexcited: :soexcited:

Congrats to everyone else who got the score they were hoping for!

My average for AAMC practice tests were a 28 and my highest was a 29. However, coming out of the test I didn't feel HORRIBLE but didn't feel great either! However...

PS:10
VR:10
BS:11
Writing: O

I am so super happy right now!!! Officially all of my hard studying paid off! =D

AAMC Average: 37.5
Predicted: I felt terrible (as everyone does) after this God forsaken test. Honestly, I didn't think I "poorly", but I definitely felt I was far below my average. The PS felt awkward, the Verbal was interesting (which means the curve would be steeper), and the BS was... BS. To add to my self-doubt, I suffered a painful knee injury the day before my seating and was in severe discomfort throughout the entire test. My prediction, based on all these factors, was a 33N-P.

Actual: 40Q I am completely baffled, I don't know how I outscored my average and still felt like crap!!!

PS/VR/BS
14/12/14

AAMC Average: 37.5
Predicted: I felt terrible (as everyone does) after this God forsaken test. Honestly, I didn't think I "poorly", but I definitely felt I was far below my average. The PS felt awkward, the Verbal was interesting (which means the curve would be steeper), and the BS was... BS. To add to my self-doubt, I suffered a painful knee injury the day before my seating and was in severe discomfort throughout the entire test. My prediction, based on all these factors, was a 33N-P.

Actual: 40Q I am completely baffled, I don't know how I outscored my average and still felt like crap!!!

PS/VR/BS
14/12/14

Man there are so many 40 + this year. The percentile for it has gone down too right? It's like 99.5 % for a 40 - that's like 500 something people getting above a 40.

My score:

BS: 14
VR: 12
PS: 15

Writing: T

41T

just found out that two other kids from my school got 42 and 40 - crazy right?

My scores for the summer when I took AAMC Practice tests were in order:
7 (6/11 - After reviewing all of BR once but before doing any practice questions): 33
9 (2 weeks after taking AAMC 7 and doing practice questions for 2 weeks): 37
Retake of 8: 39
4: 37
5: 35
Retake of 11: 39
Took the AAMC Self Assessments
10: 37
Actual Exam: 39S

After the exam, I was expecting around a 34-36 and had no idea about my essay score since I never did a full essay during a practice test, just made an outline for a few of them. Ended up with a 39S :D I had to double check to make sure it was right. Breakdown was 14 Phys/ 11 Verbal/ 14 Bio.

For me, I found reading the economist every day pretty helpful in terms of getting used to unfamiliar verbal articles about different areas around the world. Also, while BR and EK are great for gathering information from getting questions wrong (I did every question from each book btw), the AAMC really has its own style of asking questions and so loading up on those questions the week before I thought helped get me into the right mentality, even if they were from old exams that I had already done. The biggest thing for me was realizing that the MCAT does not really ask trick questions, which is something I lost sight of when doing a ton of the 1001 EK books and when I was torn between 2 choices, I went for the more obvious answer.

Just a side note, I absolutely hated EK Bio 1001 and would honestly only recommend doing the discrete questions from that book. Also, I did about 4-5 questions worse on average on the BR Verbal book than on AAMC tests and EK 101 Verbal so don't be discouraged if you're not doing as well on those practice tests.

well... I guess I have no way of finding out my score...

I got locked out of my login, so I requested a password reset (but for some reason my password is still linked up with my old email... which i changed on the account.) My old email I don't have access to any more because it was my schools, which they shut down

AND the phone lines are closed for today.... :mad:

ps10, vr8, bs10

**** you VR uhhhhhh, not looking forward to studying for this **** again

So, passing the USMLE Step exams really isn't anything special. In the current system, passing the exam with a bad score does not guarantee you a residency. Some people do not get residencies. Hopefully congress will fix the problem and dedicate more money and resources to residencies, but who knows.

You can pass the USMLE Step 1 exam with a 188. However, you probably won't get into any residency with a 188. You would have to have many other things going for you. The least competitive residency (Family Practice) averages around 210 I believe, and the competitive ones (Derm, Plastic, ENT, etc.) are more like 230-240. Plus, you have to do extremely well on Step 2.

I'm curious to see a correlation of MCAT scores to Step 1/2 numerical scores, not simply passing.

It would be nice to see a score correlation (MCAT vs. Step 1)

However, failing step 1 is worse than simply a low passing score. So there is some use to the MCAT vs. Step 1 passing, nearly all high MCAT scorers don't score very poorly on Step 1. Meaning odds are if you do well on the MCAT you will pass Step 1, and odds are you will get a residency if you pass your classes and Step 1 (90%+ chance).

My score:

BS: 14
VR: 12
PS: 15

Writing: T

41T

just found out that two other kids from my school got 42 and 40 - crazy right?

I would say you could improve that a bit - I would study and take the test again, just because it's so much fun!

Kidding but for real, congrats. That score is insane.

Never taking the devil's test again!

AAMC Avg: 11/11/10

Actual (8/3): 11/11/10 = 32M

I know everyone has heard it before, but trust your training. I was so pessimistic after the test that I did not believe I scored anywhere near my average. I was thinking high 20s, but sure enough I scored my exact AAMC average. I'm a little puzzled about the writing, but WGAF, I got a 32!

Good luck to those who have to retake, I know that must suck, but hang in there and in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter because we will all be working together in a few years anyways.

Last piece of advice, don't take Ochem 1 and 2 during the summer session while studying for the MCAT unless you want to subtract 5 years from your life :laugh:

I guess I will have the lowest for this thread 22Q (6 PS/7VR/9BS). I got the lower end of my range 22-29 with my average at 25. My PS score went down from my practices and I gained 2 points for VR. My practice PS/BS range (8-10). This sucks! I will be taking it a 4th time (5th including void). I need a prep course because nothing I'm doing is working. I did better for writing P => Q. I guess the good thing is that the less than week technique for VR helped me and my first two rushed/haphazard attempts were in 2009, so they don't count. I can't believe I studied so long and stilled did crappy. It's better than 18P, but still... I need to figure out why I suck so much at standardized test. I felt I was going to get less than 20.

Do any of you 35+ people want to donate a few points to my lame score? LOL I am already verified for this cycle, so I guess I will finish riding it out.

Last edited:
So here is my story. First time I took the exam I scored a 15. Retook the exam a year later thinking I had spent enough quality time with the material and scored a 19. An increase but still not early enough. After this exam I received orders to go to Afghanistan and retook the exam a couple of months later hoping that luck was on my side and I would get a decent score. I scored a 20. Needless to say I deployed to Afghanistan for a year. After returning home I enrolled in a Kaplan course and spent what seemed like every waking hour with the material and it more than payed off. I increased my score 9 points to a 29. 11PS, 8VR, 10BS. For all of you people who did well and received the scores you were hoping for congrats and good luck in the near future at your interviews. For all of you who are still trying, please don't give up. It can be done. Hang in there and keep after it. Good luck everyone!!!

Last edited:
So glad I am getting a chance to post this.

My MCAT last summer : 32 Q (14 PS/8VR/10BS). I re-took because of the 8 in VR.

Aug. 4th test: 33 R (10 PS/10 VR/13 BS) :)

So happy to have a balanced score now. I'm not sure how I got 10 in PS because I was averaging 11-13 on AAMCs and it was my best section usually. However, I am not going to get upset because of that drop. I am gonna look at the positive side and be happy about the increase in the other sections and a balanced score.

Just wanted to say that all of you who are thinking of re-taking or still have yet to take the first time, keep going at it! All the best to everyone. You can do it! :thumbup:

Congratulations to everyone who got a good score or the score they wanted! Great job guys!

So here is my story. First time I took the exam I scored a 15. Retook the exam a year later thinking I had spent enough quality time with the material and scored a 19. An increase but still not early enough. After this exam I received orders to go to Afghanistan and retook the exam a couple of months later hoping that luck was on my side and I would get a decent score. I scored a 20. Needless to say I deployed to Afghanistan for a year. After returning home I enrolled in a Kaplan course and spent what seemed like every waking hour with the material and it more than payed off. I increased my score 9 points to a 29. 11PS, 8VR, 10BS. For all of you people who did well and received the scores you were hoping for congrats and good luck in the near future at your interviews. For all of you who are still trying, please don't give up. It can be done. Hang in there and keep after it. Good luck everyone!!!
Wow...From a 15 to 29...I did not think that was even possible...You give me hope...Congrats.

PS 11 VR14 BS14

Im done..My whole year went into this. Felt depressed for a while. I was studying from January.

Faced so many problems in this long journey. This was my second time. First time I scored below 30.

I want to tell those who are truly passionate about this to never give in or give up.

When someone tells you you cant, thats the reason why you must.

There is no such concept as a smart person, there is only hard work and dedication, and the world is an unjust/unfair place that has to be navigated. Rise above it.

World Peace!!

Meh, I was debating posting, but I suppose it's a step in coming to terms with it.

Like a lot of people, I felt like I did pretty awful. And when I say awful I was expecting like below a 20 or something (it's my first time to take it so I had nothing to gauge by).

My score ended up being:
10 BS
6 PS
10 VR

= 26 R

I'm completely, utterly bummed about the PS score of course, but it really came of no surprise to me...

My former advisor from biology in undergrad (I just graduated in May) actually emailed me a month ago saying all the science departments were getting together to discuss improving preparing students for the MCAT, and he wanted my feedback. The main targets of this meeting? Our physics department. I only took a month to study (mainly to do with starting grad school in the summer), and I had so much to make up and teach myself.

I feel like with the other things on my app I still stand a decent shot at my state school. And I guess on the bright side, if I have to retake it again, it's only a matter of actually thoroughly learning the physics I was never taught. On a more positive note, wtf with my writing score? Can I donate some of that to physics? :laugh: I thought I would bomb writing... not like it matters though.

Last edited:
5/19/12: 12/6/9 27O
8/4/12: 10/8/9 27Q

i at least wanted one point higher.. damn
my average for all aamc tests was a 30 (11/8/11)

i felt the physical was easier than the first time i took, but who knows what happened here. i was scared for the bs section but it turned out to be the same. worked my ass off in verbal, thought i would have at least got a 10 because i was pretty confident in all my answers, but turns out i was wrong.

probably going to retake next summer.

well.. at least technically my score was higher this time O -> Q lol

I guess I will have the lowest for this thread 22Q (6 PS/7VR/9BS). I got the lower end of my range 22-29 with my average at 25. My PS score went down from my practices and I gained 2 points for VR. My practice PS/BS range (8-10). This sucks! I will be taking it a 4th time (5th including void). I need a prep course because nothing I'm doing is working. I did better for writing P => Q. I guess the good thing is that the less than week technique for VR helped me and my first two rushed/haphazard attempts were in 2009, so they don't count. I can't believe I studied so long and stilled did crappy. It's better than 18P, but still... I need to figure out why I suck so much at standardized test. I felt I was going to get less than 20.

Do any of you 35+ people want to donate a few points to my lame score? LOL I am already verified for this cycle, so I guess I will finish riding it out.

Hey don't worry too much about that 22. The first time I took it, I got a 21 and STILL got in to school. :) Needless to say, my GPA is extremely strong and I have tons of ECs, plus it was an in-state school.

Anyway, I re-took it and got a 25 (which still isn't a 30+), but I know I am competitive with the schools to which I re-applied.

Kind of random but I just wanted to say that you're awesome for being honest and posting this. The MCAT is a difficult test and SUCKSSS