If I am getting paid to do research at a lab, do I list it as "Research/Lab" or "Paid Employment"?
Depends what you're lacking in your application, but if you're participating in the research directly, I'd list it as research.
Hi everyone,
1)So I have a question about my experiences in a club at my university. It is a community service based club (American REd Cross) and I was also the events coordinator for the club.
Should I just clump the two experiences into "leadership" and explain I was also a member that participated in the club? or I should I separate htem into two different things so it is clear that I have non-medical community service and leadership?
One would hope that if you have a leadership position in the club that you're also an active member of the club. List them as one activity (under whichever you feel needs to stand out the most... the leadership or the community service) and elaborate as to what all you did in the explanation section.
2) Regarding LOE/LOR, my school will package the letters into a packet and send it off to AMCAS. i was instructed to put the counselor's name as the contact for the Letter writer on AMCAS. As such, since my packet won't be finished until after I submit early June, should I just fill out the LOE section with the information and submit my app without the completed packet or should I wait until the packet is done, fill out the LOE section, resubmit my app, and then have it sent off to AMCAS by my school?
You don't have to have your LORs in the application before you submit. It's nice, because then you don't have to worry about it anymore, but you don't have to. Listing it, even though they won't have the completed packet, won't hurt anything and it'll save you a little time and energy later on.
3) Regarding "Year in school" on the course work section, if we started out our first year as "sophomore" due to AP credits, should we list that we were a sophomore or just put "freshman" as year in school to correspond to the traditional meaning of "year in school--1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th"?
No, your first semester you list all your AP/IB credits (not the college classes you took in high school), and your entire first semester's grades. You are listed as a freshman. Second semester you can become a sophomore, though I suspect that if you have a substantial amount of AP/IB credits, they'll mess around with your classifications some (I don't think I had any junior classifications, and I had like three senior semesters).
Is it necessary to list every poster presentation that you are a co-author on? One lab I worked in was very productive, and the full citation for all presentations takes up two activity slots. I only presented one of the posters, would it be smart to list this presentation and not list some of the others? Or would leaving these off be a bad idea?
Also, if I worked in a lab but did not participate in any research (glassware cleaning job that was just a source of income) is it safe to leave it off the application?
I'm not sure how your research breaks down, but I'd list all the similar presentations in one group. So, if one lab did like 10 presentations (for instance), you'd list one activity and just list the additional presentations in the comments area.
You can also leave whatever ECs you want off your application. In fact, it's probably better to leave off stuff that you can't really talk about at an interview. I left off a couple of clubs I participated in because, while they looked good on paper, I found that I had nothing to talk about them when it came time to interview.
But if I put in all my courses just now and those credits are obviously from freshman year, can I just add them now? If I add them now, these AP "credits" will appear after the actual course work that I had in that semester and that's not how it appears on the transcript. Is that a problem?
AMCAS will reorder all your courses anyway, so it doesn't really matter. As long as they can match what you wrote to what's on your application, you have nothing to worry about. List all your AP credits under your first freshman semester/quarter.