*-*-*The Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2011*-*-*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
First....cheers to you for reading this thread and searching.

The later you are (especially as a non-traditional student) the less leverage I (personally) think you have. If your GPA is solid, I'd go with be early, and use the good grades in update letters.

Truth.

Members don't see this ad.

This is really just a judgement call. If your grades in those classes significantly change your GPA....it may be better to wait. If not, then you may want to submit earlier. Even if you submit early, you won't be complete until your scores are released on 7/19. But at least with transcripts in, you will be complete sooner than waiting about 3-5 weeks at the end of July.

The later you are (especially as a non-traditional student) the less leverage I (personally) think you have. If your GPA is solid, I'd go with be early, and use the good grades in update letters.
Thanks cougar,

I've an enough solid GPA, and those courses won't make a dramatic increase in it. I first registered to an earlier MCAT in April. However, thinking of that I'll be finishing with the Summer school on 7/24, I changed it to a later date on 6/16 to wrap up everything in synch, also having more time to study the MCAT. I thought that I might be put on-hold without completing my pre-requisites, and that update letters won't be accepted by schools for the Summer term.

This is really just a judgement call. If your grades in those classes significantly change your GPA....it may be better to wait. If not, then you may want to submit earlier. Even if you submit early, you won't be complete until your scores are released on 7/19. But at least with transcripts in, you will be complete sooner than waiting about 3-5 weeks at the end of July.

Made a judgment call, and decided to apply early... I'll send the update letters with good grades after Summer semester has ended.

I also changed my MCAT date to 5/20 (scores will be released on 6/21.)

Members don't see this ad :)
I searched for something like this too but didn't see anything that quite answered it. First time posting so I apologize if I'm butting in but I've got a specific question about LORs.

I have been offered letters of recommendation from 3 of my professors (One I do research with in Biology and have had classes under in the same, another is my organic chem prof, and the third is my physiology prof who has ties with the med school I'm seeking). I also have 2 great letters from MDs I've worked with for four years now.

The problem is, my first choice med school has a requirement of at least 3 letters and they say they want 2 from science profs, and 1 from a nonscience prof. I know that the 3 that I have been offered will be great letters, but they're all from science profs. I'm through taking non-science classes and it's too late to take an extra one in hopes of establishing a good relationship and getting a good letter in time. Do I just play dumb and submit the 3 that are all from science anyway? I don't know if they would look at this as a lack of attention to detail.

Thanks for the help.

First off I apologize if this has been covered repeatedly in the past, but I don't want to spend hours sifting through such a huge thread for an easy answer

My MSAR says AMCAS will open in early May and participating schools begin receiving applicant data in late June. Does this mean that schools will begin receiving all the applications that have been completed from May to late June at the same time?

Question about entering these grades and CEUs in AMCAS:

I took the class "Intermediate Algebra 080" at a community college way back. It is a college course but below 100 or "1000" level. Is this included as part of my BCPM and AMCAS GPA?

Also, I took an EMT cert. and it gave me 19.20 CEU's with a grade of "S." Im assuming this means satisfactory and this is a Pass/Fail type grade? There was no conversion or explanation offered on the institutions website and AMCAS say to only include this in the Special Type area and enter the grade as is (S). It says it will not be counted as AMCAS GPA, does this sound correct?

Question about entering these grades and CEUs in AMCAS:

I took the class "Intermediate Algebra 080" at a community college way back. It is a college course but below 100 or "1000" level. Is this included as part of my BCPM and AMCAS GPA?

If the course is on your transcript with a math department designation and letter grade yes it should be included in AMCAS GPA BCPM, though logic and rational would seem otherwise. It obviously wouldn't count for any school-specific prereqs. Conversely, if you took a course such as Advanced Statistical Analysis for Social Sciences (given in the sociology department) at a 300 level, it wouldn't count towards BCMP though some schools might accept it as a semester of math.

Also, I took an EMT cert. and it gave me 19.20 CEU's with a grade of "S." Im assuming this means satisfactory and this is a Pass/Fail type grade? There was no conversion or explanation offered on the institutions website and AMCAS say to only include this in the Special Type area and enter the grade as is (S). It says it will not be counted as AMCAS GPA, does this sound correct?

Yes, it is like a P/F, no matter how rigorous or medically applicable, it doesn't go towards your AMCAS GPA.

Hello everyone,

got a question on the May 15th deadline. I just got a call today from my top choice school accepting me, but I'm also holding an acceptance at another University. I wanted to wait to withdraw that acceptance until I had placed my deposit at my top choice.

What do I do?

how long would it take for someone who submits his amcas early august to get verified?

Status
Not open for further replies.