*-*-*The Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2011*-*-*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I have questions about updates to AMCAS too. Like now I want to add an LOR or two, do I have to send them to the schools directly or will AMCAS update schools. And I'm in a grad program and will have grades to report, update on AMCAS or do I have to update individual schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you guys listing biochemistry under "biology" "chemistry" or "other?" My school has it's own section called "biochemistry" which isn't on the list.

Also, i took parasitology which is under "environmental, plant, and weed sciences." Would that be natural/physical sciences or other? (my school was heavily focused on agricultural sciences).

I submitted Aug 1st. I just added 2 more schools and "re-submitted"

Does this mean I got bumped to the back of the line, or do I still have the same spot I did when I submitted Aug 1st?

Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted Aug 1st. I just added 2 more schools and "re-submitted"

Does this mean I got bumped to the back of the line, or do I still have the same spot I did when I submitted Aug 1st?

Don't worry. Adding schools does NOT move you to the back of the line. You still maintain you place in line. Good Luck

My mother is a Cuban immigrant from the Castro revolution era and my father is a towhead from the midwest. I was born in this country and raised in an area that is not particularly hispanic. English is my first language although I am moderately proficient in Spanish (not by any means fluent, but I understand pretty well and can get my point across usually). I have grown up mostly with the American culture, but also following some Cuban traditions/values at home and with relatives. I understand that Cubans are not considered URM's. I am just wondering what I should select on the AMCAS. Do I mark hispanic/cuban and caucasian both? Do I only mark caucasian since I was born in this country? My surname is not hispanic. What would schools think if I presented myself as hispanic/caucasian? Would it be regarded poorly as if I were trying to gain an advantage?

I'm 1/2 Cuban as well from my mom's side and have grown up with a background very similar to yours. I marked ethnicity Cuban and race White.

If I want to graduate a semester early, but on my original AMCAS application it says that the expected graduation date is May 2011, should I just call them and tell them about the changes?

Would I have to explain to med schools why I'm graduating early?

Thanks,
Dave

Are ALL psychology classes not counted as BCPM? what about classes like "physiological psychology" or "brain/behavior"?

I've already submitted my AMCAS app for verification and am waiting for review. Due to the availability of one of my letter writers (won't complete it until 9/10), I'm guessing that my primary will be verified before I get that final letter.

Is there any disadvantage to assigning my letters AFTER verification but before submitting the secondary? Is this acceptable?

Are ALL psychology classes not counted as BCPM? what about classes like "physiological psychology" or "brain/behavior"?

If the class is listed under bio department, then you probably can. If listed under psych, probably tough. I know some classes are cross-listed between different departments, but it comes down to what department the class is listed under on your transcript.

I've already submitted my AMCAS app for verification and am waiting for review. Due to the availability of one of my letter writers (won't complete it until 9/10), I'm guessing that my primary will be verified before I get that final letter.

Is there any disadvantage to assigning my letters AFTER verification but before submitting the secondary? Is this acceptable?

No disadvantage. Almost all med schools only pull your letters from AMCAS file after you've completed your secondary.

I won't assign letters to schools until it has been received by AMCAS. B/c I'm not sure if you can unassign letters after you've assigned them to schools.

If I want to graduate a semester early, but on my original AMCAS application it says that the expected graduation date is May 2011, should I just call them and tell them about the changes?

Would I have to explain to med schools why I'm graduating early?

Thanks,
Dave

I don't think it's that big of a deal. After all, the AMCAS asked about "expected" grad date, so at that time when you submitted AMCAS your plan was to grad on May 2011.

You could call to try to change the date, but not really a big deal.

You would explain to med schools why you're grad early and what meaningful things you're doing after graduating. Not a problem with med school as long as you get your bachelor's degree before med school matriculation. It's only a problem if you're graduating later than the matriculation date.

I apologize if this is a repeat question. I just don't have the time to read through all 51 pages of this thread to check to see if it was asked already.

I submitted my primary back in June and it was verified and sent out way back when. The only thing was, I did all this before the end of my school year was finished (Ohio State is on quarters and doesn't finish until mid June). So, I didn't have grades for my last quarter of classes. I have already finished all of my secondaries, but I felt like I should update my grades (it doesn't raise or lower my gpa, it just shows that I have maintained it).

My interpretation of the AMCAS website though is that they will not update grades unless it was due to an error on their part or on my university's part. Does anyone else have this impression? Would I have to send individual transcripts to each and every school? (I applied to 16 and that would be a boat load of money). Thanks for your help!

If the class is listed under bio department, then you probably can. If listed under psych, probably tough. I know some classes are cross-listed between different departments, but it comes down to what department the class is listed under on your transcript.]

I don't really understand what it means when people say it's "probably tough" to get a class counted as BCPM. do you basically make the decision yourself if the class is borderline bcpm, and then the med school either accepts it/rejects it? when do they tell you if they accepted/rejected it? sorry.. i'm new to this! thanks!

If the class is listed under bio department, then you probably can. If listed under psych, probably tough. I know some classes are cross-listed between different departments, but it comes down to what department the class is listed under on your transcript.]

I don't really understand what it means when people say it's "probably tough" to get a class counted as BCPM. do you basically make the decision yourself if the class is borderline bcpm, and then the med school either accepts it/rejects it? when do they tell you if they accepted/rejected it? sorry.. i'm new to this! thanks!

AMCAS makes the decision based on their guidelines. You can contest their decision if you want by sending them the course outline etc...

I apologize if this is a repeat question. I just don't have the time to read through all 51 pages of this thread to check to see if it was asked already.

I submitted my primary back in June and it was verified and sent out way back when. The only thing was, I did all this before the end of my school year was finished (Ohio State is on quarters and doesn't finish until mid June). So, I didn't have grades for my last quarter of classes. I have already finished all of my secondaries, but I felt like I should update my grades (it doesn't raise or lower my gpa, it just shows that I have maintained it).

My interpretation of the AMCAS website though is that they will not update grades unless it was due to an error on their part or on my university's part. Does anyone else have this impression? Would I have to send individual transcripts to each and every school? (I applied to 16 and that would be a boat load of money). Thanks for your help!

AMCAS will not add grades. You can send an unofficial transcript or an update letter with your most recent grades if you fell it will make a difference.

Members don't see this ad :)

AMCAS makes the decision based on their guidelines. You can contest their decision if you want by sending them the course outline etc...

yes to what positron 511 said.

Basically you designate a category for your transcript class when you file AMCAS. When AMCAS review and process your application, they will check your classes, including the grades and class designation. They may change a class from BCPM to other. To contest the change, do what positron said.

Those are for borderline classes like psych. Med school pre-req and science department classes will have no problem being categorized as BCPM. "tough" as in tough luck if AMCAS doesn't accept the class as BCPM, but usually not tough for the classes I just mentioned.

Med schools would accept AMCAS designation of classes and BCPM and other class GPA calculations. Med schools would not re categorize and recalculate your GPA (no time and resource for med school to do that for thousands of app).

is what is under bcpm ever changed at all from year to year?

@Latuza - thanks. If the psych class is recognized by my school as having 50%+ biology, would that make it more likely for AMCAS to accept it as BCPM? (the course fulfills a "natural science" requirement at my school)

is what is under bcpm ever changed at all from year to year?

Rarely change. There are instructions when you fill out AMCAS, will include class classfication.

@Latuza - thanks. If the psych class is recognized by my school as having 50%+ biology, would that make it more likely for AMCAS to accept it as BCPM? (the course fulfills a "natural science" requirement at my school)

I really don't know. If the class is called psych something, probably won't be counted as BCPM by AMCAS. By all means, you can designate as BCPM when you file AMCAS, but then if they change the classification, then you have to appeal to get that listed as BCPM. Anyway, natural sciences is a category separate from BCPM according to AMCAS.

Can I add more schools I want to apply to after I submit my application or do I have to select all the schools before I submit?

For the courses section, are microbiology, immunology, and other upper division science courses considered "biology" or "other"?

Does anybody know a thread containing info on which schools to apply to according to your stats?

Thanks

Hi,
I just started an NIH IRTA postbac fellowship. I've yet to submit my AMCAS. Is it alright to list this on the application since I've already started, though I haven't so much as touched a pipette? I imagine once interview season gets going I'll have done much more and be able to talk about it.

Can I add more schools I want to apply to after I submit my application or do I have to select all the schools before I submit?

For the courses section, are microbiology, immunology, and other upper division science courses considered "biology" or "other"?

Does anybody know a thread containing info on which schools to apply to according to your stats?

Thanks
1) yes, add more later. Just need 1 school to have AMCAS processed.
2) I think bio.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=552026
there are also instructions you can look into when filling out AMcAS.
3) Don't know. Med school selector excel worksheet has been taken down b/c of copyright claim by AAMC.

Hi,
I just started an NIH IRTA postbac fellowship. I've yet to submit my AMCAS. Is it alright to list this on the application since I've already started, though I haven't so much as touched a pipette? I imagine once interview season gets going I'll have done much more and be able to talk about it.

Don't see any harm to list it. You can also update schools with letters after you sent in secondaries.

My application was submitted for verification yesterday and I just decided I want to add another school to my list. If I do that, will my application get sent to the back of the line? It mentioned that it will have to be "re-submitted."

On the application, it says to select a date for which you plan to take the MCAT. I selected May 22, 2010 and it says on my application I plan to the take the MCAT on that date.

That doesn't make sense though because I already took the test (May 22, 2010) and have my scores. Schools won't be waiting for a score that is already there would they? I just a little paranoid.

My application was submitted for verification yesterday and I just decided I want to add another school to my list. If I do that, will my application get sent to the back of the line? It mentioned that it will have to be "re-submitted."

Don't think you have to get back in line again. Verified or not, you will always have to resubmit AMCAS when you add a school or LOR.

I think your place in line depends on when is the time AMCAS receives your transcript. Well, one day won't make a big difference. Also don't think it's peak AMCAS verification period now.

On the application, it says to select a date for which you plan to take the MCAT. I selected May 22, 2010 and it says on my application I plan to the take the MCAT on that date.

That doesn't make sense though because I already took the test (May 22, 2010) and have my scores. Schools won't be waiting for a score that is already there would they? I just a little paranoid.

If AMCAS shows your 5-22 score. You'll be fine. NOt much else you can do.

I graduated from my master's program in bio with a 4.0 GPA (all classes were Science). Does that mean I have 2 separate BCMP GPAs or are they averaged somehow? If they are, how is it done? I'm just curious because I don't know how to state my BCPM and overall GPA, whether I should write 2 separate sets are to put them together somehow.

Did you ever get a response to your question? I'm in the same boat and would like to know too.

Did you ever get a response to your question? I'm in the same boat and would like to know too.

You would have two separate sets of GPAs: 1 undergrad sGPA and cGPA and 1 grad sGPA and cGPA.

Only post-bac classes (in official post-bac programs or any college classes taken in a non-degree setting after graduating from undergrad), will be entered into undergrad GPA.

Anyway, all you have to do when entering into AMCAS are your classes, what type (BCPM or other), grade, units/hours, and what year/level are those classes. so master classes would be grad courses.

Then when AMCAS verifies your application, then will fix any classes they see fit and calculate for you your GPAs.
In sum, just enter your classes and AMCAS will calculate your GPA.

I think above is how it works.

Well, congrats on a high grad GPA, it will still help your application.

How long is AMCAS taking to receive and upload LOR to your application (I'm already verified)? I have confirmed shipment from Interfolio, so I'm just trying to estimate when I'll see them on AMCAS.

Also, how quickly do the schools get them after uploading if they've already downloaded my primary?

Thanks!!

I have read most of these pages and have not seen this post, if this is a duplicate question -- I apologize.

1. Do most people waive their rights to access the LORs?

Some people have told me to sign the form and waive rights because medical schools count the LOR in higher regard. Others say, reviewing the LOR's is a great way to catch any mistakes.

I have read most of these pages and have not seen this post, if this is a duplicate question -- I apologize.

1. Do most people waive their rights to access the LORs?

Some people have told me to sign the form and waive rights because medical schools count the LOR in higher regard. Others say, reviewing the LOR's is a great way to catch any mistakes.

look at this from the perspective of the adcom. failure to sign the waiver a) sticks out because most people do sign it and b) suggests that you are not confident in what your letters contain. it probably doesn't look very good. why are you submitting letters in which you are not confident?

Many schools, mine included have internships/shadowing for credit. At my school the course is BIO 444, for every 40 hours of shadowing, you can get 1 credit hour. First you have to have a faculty monitor the internship, then you have to write a 10-15 page paper, and then prepare and present a poster to the school. Students are not guaranteed an "A", and it sounds easier than it is.

What catagory do I list this course? Other?

look at this from the perspective of the adcom. failure to sign the waiver a) sticks out because most people do sign it and b) suggests that you are not confident in what your letters contain. it probably doesn't look very good. why are you submitting letters in which you are not confident?

I'm not submitting letters that I am not confident in, since I had been given 2 very different perspectives, I decided to post the questions. thanks

I know I'm bumping an old thread but didn't want to start my own. If I have to reapply in the next cycle will I keep my same AMCAS application and ID # or will I have to re-enter my transcript data into a new AMCAS app? Thanks.

You will keep the same ID #, and the old application will stay in the system but you will have to reenter everything onto the new application for the new cycle. And the schools you transmit the new application to during the next cycle will only receive the new app, no the old one.

Question

I dropped at class and at one time it read as a "W". Now the class reads as a "DG" (changed systems).

I never took a test in this class and dropped on the correct date. Will I enter this as a "W" in AMCAS or a "DG". I just do not want them to give me an "F".

Question

I dropped at class and at one time it read as a "W". Now the class reads as a "DG" (changed systems).

I never took a test in this class and dropped on the correct date. Will I enter this as a "W" in AMCAS or a "DG". I just do not want them to give me an "F".

bump

To be safe (i know it varies by school) how many letters of rec and from who should we plan on getting?

Is it 2 science prof, 1 non-science prof, and 1 lab PI/employer?

I had a quick verification question. I was planning to submit next year's app on June 1st and my transcripts shortly thereafter. Is there any reason I need to be in the country during the verification process? Does it also take them 2-4 weeks to tell you if there are any problems, the same way it takes time to get verified? I was thinking of visiting friends/family overseas while I waited.

Any advice would be appreciated.

grt398, your application profile will be incomplete until TMDSAS correctly recieves and handles your app material. It is not uncommon for them to misplace stuff, so it is in your best interest to stick to finishing your app and verify the completion of your app in every step of the way. The interview season doesn't start until August 3rd, so its best to take a break in July after you verify that your app is complete.

Can someone explain shadowing to me and how I can get started in it?

Shadowing just involves following a physician in their daily practice. There are a variety of ways to do so depending on whether you're currently in college or not. You could try emailing some local physicians at a nearby academic center or asking family members if they know anyone. You could also try to ask your own physician if they would mind you following them around.

Sorry if this has already been answered or is stupid. I graduated last december and I am waiting on hearing back from one of my state schools. When updating, do you send the update to AMCAS or should I call the school and see if I can have it sent directly to them? Thanks in advance!

Sorry if this has already been answered or is stupid. I graduated last december and I am waiting on hearing back from one of my state schools. When updating, do you send the update to AMCAS or should I call the school and see if I can have it sent directly to them? Thanks in advance!

Send updates to each individual school. AMCAS only accepts letters of recommendations that are required for med school admissions. Good luck.

I had a quick verification question. I was planning to submit next year's app on June 1st and my transcripts shortly thereafter. Is there any reason I need to be in the country during the verification process? Does it also take them 2-4 weeks to tell you if there are any problems, the same way it takes time to get verified? I was thinking of visiting friends/family overseas while I waited.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I think mostly everything is done over emails these days, nothing much to worry about. As long as you finish your primary app in June, you're still early in the application cycle.
They won't start the verification process for the AMCAS app until they've received your transcript. As long as you can ask your school to resend a transcript to AMCAS in the case that your transcript somehow didn't arrive, you'll be fine. Also if you want to contest a class classification (as BCPM or other), then you may need to be able to send AMCAS your syllabi or some class description.

To be safe (i know it varies by school) how many letters of rec and from who should we plan on getting?

Is it 2 science prof, 1 non-science prof, and 1 lab PI/employer?

You're good with 90% of the schools with those letters. 1 or 2 schools want science letters from different science depts (bio, chem, or physics), but only those.

When you do the grades section on AMCAS, look in the guidelines where it would say how to calculate W into the GPA. I think AMCAS ignores W in GPA calculation, not sure.

DG is kind of rare, so email AMCAS about that. They should reply in 2-3 days, not long.

This question might have been asked before, but I couldn't find an answer via searching.

I'm a post-bacc student with a BS + MS in engineering. I'm planning to wrap up with my pre-requisites by taking physics-2 (retake) + composition-2 in this Summer 2011 (school ends on 7/24.)

I decided to take the MCAT on 6/16 (scores will be released on 7/19.)

How do you recommend to submit my AMCAS application on 6/1, or on 7/25 after I got my Summer transcript?

How long does it take AMCAS to evaluate the applications when submitted on 6/1 or 7/25?

I'd appreciate your recommendations.

This question might have been asked before, but I couldn't find an answer via searching.

I'm a post-bacc student with a BS + MS in engineering. I'm planning to wrap up with my pre-requisites by taking physics-2 (retake) + composition-2 in this Summer 2011 (school ends on 7/24.)

I decided to take the MCAT on 6/16 (scores will be released on 7/19.)

How do you recommend to submit my AMCAS application on 6/1, or on 7/25 after I got my Summer transcript?

How long does it take AMCAS to evaluate the applications when submitted on 6/1 or 7/25?

I'd appreciate your recommendations.
First....cheers to you for reading this thread and searching.

This is really just a judgement call. If your grades in those classes significantly change your GPA....it may be better to wait. If not, then you may want to submit earlier. Even if you submit early, you won't be complete until your scores are released on 7/19. But at least with transcripts in, you will be complete sooner than waiting about 3-5 weeks at the end of July.

The later you are (especially as a non-traditional student) the less leverage I (personally) think you have. If your GPA is solid, I'd go with be early, and use the good grades in update letters.

Status
Not open for further replies.