The Official April 24, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopelessDreamer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else on here taking it on the 24th? I'm going to start studying later this week. What is everyone else's study plan?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
took AAMC 10 today
9/10/9.
I always run out of time on verbal, but I atleast got a chance to read the 1st and last paragraph of the last passage. As for PS and BS......:dead::dead:

Question for everyone, I just heard this, but is everyone's version of the test different? Like does everyone get a different mix of questions? I haven't heard this before. Is this true?

Members don't see this ad :)
How was it compare to 9?

IMO : AAMC 9 was more based on knowledge of info vs AAMC 10 more passaged based/not as direct ( for both the PS and BIO). As far as the verbal is concerned passages were easy to read;but answering the questions were a bit more challenging.

200 redox questions later...I'm calling it a night.

The spirit is willing, but the flesh is bruised and spongy.

Glad to see 9/10 people on here complaining about FL 10's VR section.
VR 10 was acutaly my second highest # correct, but lowest score overall.
VR 10 had the easiest to read passages ever; I actually went slower than usual trying to get more correct and finished with loads of time.
So, I don't know about you guys but heres to a hard a f#ck VR section on the 24th!

AAMC
FL 3: 31 10/10/11
FL 4: 30 10/9/11
FL 9: 31 11/9/11
FL 10: 28 10/8/10
FL 11: ???

TBR
CBT 1: 28 9/11-12/8
CBT 2: 28 10/9/9
CBT 3: 28 11-12/9/8
CBT 4: 25 9/9/7
CBT 5: 26 7/10/9

I've been going over the AAMC Outline all week on mcat-review.org and I don't have blaring gaps in my PS knowledge.
That being said, when I get a question wrong it's because I don't understand the way the question is being asked, or I make a mistake in math.

@ConsultantMD @Lamel @enjoipanda and anyone else scoring consistently high on PS...

When you see a question like: "What is the magnitude of the detected sound frequency shift from 170 Hz during the projectile flight described in the passage?"
Did you automatically understand what they were looking for? When I read it, I thought: "obviously, frequency decreases on the way up and increases on the way down."
None of the choices had that, so I began thinking that perhaps they want just the first half of the flight mentioned in the passage.I also didn't know what was meant by "frequency shift"
is that delta(F) or (F)observed?

VR 10 had the easiest to read passages ever; I actually went slower than usual trying to get more correct and finished with loads of time.
So, I don't know about you guys but heres to a hard a f#ck VR section on the 24th!

AAMC

TBR

I've been going over the AAMC Outline all week on mcat-review.org and I don't have blaring gaps in my PS knowledge.
That being said, when I get a question wrong it's because I don't understand the way the question is being asked, or I make a mistake in math.

@ConsultantMD @Lamel @enjoipanda and anyone else scoring consistently high on PS...

When you see a question like: "What is the magnitude of the detected sound frequency shift from 170 Hz during the projectile flight described in the passage?"
Did you automatically understand what they were looking for? When I read it, I thought: "obviously, frequency decreases on the way up and increases on the way down."
None of the choices had that, so I began thinking that perhaps they want just the first half of the flight mentioned in the passage.I also didn't know what was meant by "frequency shift"
Yup. I did half the flight cuz they never said it came back down. Add in "shift" and that makes for a great question for me to get wrong.

AAMC

TBR

Hmm don't remember this question but I'm about to do AAMC 10 this morning so we will see how this goes?
Hmm.

Hmm don't remember this question but I'm about to do AAMC 10 this morning so we will see how this goes?
Hmm.

Sorry, didn't know you guys didn't all do that 10 yet. Either way, save for that fluster **** of a question, that passage is straight forward.

Yup. I did half the flight cuz they never said it came back down. Add in "shift" and that makes for a great question for me to get wrong.

Sigh, VR = don't make assumptions based on outside knowledge. PS = Assume the projectile came back down even thought it's not stated. :-/

Last edited:

AAMC

TBR

It looks like you misunderstood the wording of the question. Frequency shift= change in frequency from the original frequency produced by the source ( this is independent of whether it increases or decreases, its asking specifically about if it changes or not). During projectile motion at the top you have a relative velocity of zero since both source and the detector are not moving at that moment (frequency shift =0). Hope this makes sense.

MOst of the mcat questions will twist the wording around and make a simple problem more complicated. Especially for physics. Just try to ask yourself; what is the simple concept is being tested.

AAMC

TBR

Couldn't you use the doppler effect equation to find the answer? The magnitude of the "detected sound frequency shift" - well isn't that just delta f?

Whenever I hear shift, I always think the doppler effect, i.e. - blue shift, red shift (how we know the universe is expanding and accelerating away from us). These shifts are all examples of differences between the perceived frequency the observer sees/hears and the frequency emitted by the source. The question states that there is a shift from 170 Hz, therefore it's my best guess that this is the frequency of the source Fo. So I'm sure the passage gives you some clues on the velocity of the source and the velocity of the sound/light traveling in the medium.

But then again, I haven't taken it so what do I know?

I'm off to a really late start to my day and am starting AAMC 10 in about 15 minutes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck to everyone taking AAMC 10 today!

The frequency question was very poorly worded. I ended up looking at that problem for like 10 minutes. I got it right, but it is a bad question. @AKMCAT I finally got to that logic 10 minutes after staring at that question.

Anyone else taking AAMC 11 tomorrow??

In the few days before this test, I want to thank you guys for keeping me motivated to continue my studying, its great having like minded individuals trying to crush this exam!

Good luck to everyone taking AAMC 10 today!

The frequency question was very poorly worded. I ended up looking at that problem for like 10 minutes. I got it right, but it is a bad question. @AKMCAT I finally got to that logic 10 minutes after staring at that question.

Anyone else taking AAMC 11 tomorrow??

In the few days before this test, I want to thank you guys for keeping me motivated to continue my studying, its great having like minded individuals trying to crush this exam!

AAMC 11 8am tomorrow.

And dont say that yet! Such a long way to go until Thursday! Just ordered next day air The Official Guide to the MCAT.

AAMC 10 wasn't bad! Verbal is still such a tough curve, I hope it's not still like this.

My breakdown was 14/11/13 = 38, I am completely happy with that given the curve. A couple more days!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Took aamc 11 today, IMO: one of the hardest AAMC PS sections i've encountered. I thought it was particularly calculation heavy, and I tend to do better with the conceptual questions. Anyways,here is my breakdown..
29 9/8/12

proud of the rise in my bio score from yesterday's AAMC 10. Very confused and dissapointed in verbal. It SUCKS knowing that im so close to my target(30) but knowing that I might not reach it before test day. Probably should reschedule but f**** it, Ready to get this thing over with!!!

In my break now. Everything was going so well until the last vr passage with 6 minutes to go. That thing was a bear and I ran out of time with two unfinished questions...

Took aamc 11 today, IMO: one of the hardest AAMC PS sections i've encountered. I thought it was particularly calculation heavy, and I tend to do better with the conceptual questions. Anyways,here is my breakdown..
29 9/8/12

proud of the rise in my bio score from yesterday's AAMC 10. Very confused and dissapointed in verbal. It SUCKS knowing that im so close to my target(30) but knowing that I might not reach it before test day. Probably should reschedule but f**** it, Ready to get this thing over with!!!

As hard as kaplan PS?

AAMC 10 - 14 PS, 11 VR, 15 BS - 40

Fingers crossed to pull off such a performance on the real thing.

I missed a 15 on PS because I got the right answer, but circled the wrong bubble...REALLY need to make sure that doesn't happen.

Also anyone think that the sciences were pretty straight forward for AAMC 10? I finished PS and Bio with 20-25 minutes remaining. I also hadn't taken an AAMC for like a week, so I was a bit refreshed and very confident, which really helped.

AAMC 10 wasn't bad! Verbal is still such a tough curve, I hope it's not still like this.

My breakdown was 14/11/13 = 38, I am completely happy with that given the curve. A couple more days!!!
Excellent score, that is a great sign. And I agree, that curve for verbal was pretty harsh compared to the last one.

Last edited:
I've taken all of the AAMCs at this point, some of them multiple times. Retaking them has really helped. I was surprised at how many things I thought I had learned from reviewing the test the first time, that I didn't actually learn.

My scores are still pretty variable - really wish I was more consistent. 12-14 PS, 11-13 VR, 12-14 BS. I hope on test day I end up the high end of that range.

For this I immediately thought doppler shift. I also kept in mind what was going on kinematics wise. The fact that they italicized "frequency shift" made it clear that they were looking for Delta F. I think where you messed up was your understanding of doppler shift; yes frequency "increases" as it goes up, but the velocity decreases, so the magnitude of frequency shift will go down (0 at the peak). It was a bit tricky yes, but pay attention to the frequency shift part.

One picture I keep in my mind really helps me with doppler shift questions (I have hardly ever used the equation).

rldp3.gif

With that image, when something is moving away, the waves look further apart, which means greater wavelength, which means shorter frequency (wavelength and frequency are inversely related, keep that in mind always).

AAMC 10

11/9/11

Ugh. Looks like my 34 is pretty distant right now...

You've broken a 30 on one of the more indicative exams, you should be proud. The verbal on this one was scaled harshly as well. The adrenaline on the actual day will pull you through!

I've taken all of the AAMCs at this point, some of them multiple times. Retaking them has really helped. I was surprised at how many things I thought I had learned from reviewing the test the first time, that I didn't actually learn.

My scores are still pretty variable - really wish I was more consistent. 12-14 PS, 11-13 VR, 12-14 BS. I hope on test day I end up the high end of that range.

You're more consistent than I am, but I think the later tests are more indicative. Either way your cumulative range is 35-41, I don't think you can go too wrong.

Update: Took AAMC 9 last Wednesday and got a 30 (11/9/10) and just took AAMC 10 and got a 32 (12/9/11)...which is pretty good considering about halfway through the verbal and for all of the BS I really had to pee lol.

You've broken a 30 on one of the more indicative exams, you should be proud. The verbal on this one was scaled harshly as well. The adrenaline on the actual day will pull you through!

Thanks. I haven't gone over the exam yet for review, but looking at the scale, I was one away from a point jump in all 3 topics! If I would have gotten 3 more correct out of the entire exam I would have scored a 34! Ugh!

How are you all doing so well in verbal?! I've used up every possible resource out there but still have a huge fluctuation in my scores. I'll be happy with a 9 considering my scores. I really hope after all this hard work I can manage a 9 on verbal . :(

28 on AAMC 10. What the hell, I am so much better than that. AGAIN, the bane of my existence is marking the incorrect answer or changing my answer from a correct one to an incorrect one.

and 3 hours of sleep...I've got to tighten down the hatches. I took GS 4 just last night and scored a 35 (12/11/12). There is no reason for me to be depriving myself of sleep just to get a crappy score on an official AAMC exam. I am so unbelievably disappointed that my I know my understanding of these subjects warrants at least a 12 on the science portions of the exam yet I am letting way too many external factors affect my performance and cause me to stumble into stupid miscalculation errors.

As God is my witness, today I am printing every single AAMC exam, writing in my own solutions with details for each, and practice like all get out practice problems from EK 1001 until I puke. I WILL NOT let AAMC 11 or the MCAT get the better of me.

10/9/10.

Last edited:
How are you all doing so well in verbal?! I've used up every possible resource out there but still have a huge fluctuation in my scores. I'll be happy with a 9 considering my scores. I really hope after all this hard work I can manage a 9 on verbal . :(

It seems like everyone has their own strategy. Personally, I read fast enough that I have a decent amount of time to look back at the passage, so I try to make sure I can justify every single answer I choose with something from the passage. I was shocked when I read examkrackers guide and it said to never look back at the passage. That might be good advice for getting an OK score but for a decent/good/great one, you have to look back.

Unless the question is really really easy, I always question my "gut" (often not what you are told for tests, I guess, but they really like to trick people with verbal). If I'm clearly not understanding a passage while reading I either stop and do another passage before going back and trying again, or I take a few breaths and reread from the beginning. No point wasting time if you aren't really comprehending what you're reading.

28 on AAMC 10. What the hell, I am so much better than that. AGAIN, the bane of my existence is marking the incorrect answer or changing my answer from a correct one to an incorrect one.

10/9/10.
Or thinking 10+9+10 is 28 lol. You did fine. Aamc 10 was not as easy as some have said

Thank you @Lamel you killed that test as well, look at that BS score, wow! Yeah the verbal, you miss like 4-5 and get an 11, that is rough. I'm hoping for a similar test on test day but I fear that PS will not be as straightforward. I finished way ahead of time on VR as well, so on test day I will slow down and use that time but today I was ready to go. Same thing on BS, I finished like 20 minutes early. Who knows if that extra time will help or hurt me if I change wrong answers to right ones? I think I've decided that I'm going to pretend that I'm explaining why I'm changing my answer to my Kaplan instructor and so I need some damn good reasons to change it.

I'm taking the day off I think, but eventually I will want to go over everything I've ever done and keep tabs on what I missed.

Ah I am so mad at myself! I just went through and did post game analysis on PS of AAMC 10. Four STUPID mistakes put me from a 13 to a 11.

Dumb stuff like ( saying that sulfur ion has a -1 charge. wtf) and then having the correct answer on my scratch paper but selecting the wrong answer.

I need to slow down!

7 questions wrong due to overthinking on PS. In all cases I have initially marked the correct answer, then hesitated, overthought, and then switched to the wrong answer.

7/10 mistakes were stupid. I could have had a 13-14: that's what kills me.

7 questions wrong due to overthinking on PS. In all cases I have initially marked the correct answer, then hesitated, overthought, and then switched to the wrong answer.

7/10 mistakes were stupid. I could have had a 13-14: that's what kills me.
Same here. Except mine I had them right and clicked the wrong answer. Went from 13 to 11.

For this I immediately thought doppler shift. I also kept in mind what was going on kinematics wise. The fact that they italicized "frequency shift" made it clear that they were looking for Delta F. I think where you messed up was your understanding of doppler shift; yes frequency "increases" as it goes up, but the velocity decreases, so the magnitude of frequency shift will go down (0 at the peak). It was a bit tricky yes, but pay attention to the frequency shift part.

One picture I keep in my mind really helps me with doppler shift questions (I have hardly ever used the equation).

rldp3.gif

With that image, when something is moving away, the waves look further apart, which means greater wavelength, which means shorter frequency (wavelength and frequency are inversely related, keep that in mind always).

You're more consistent than I am, but I think the later tests are more indicative. Either way your cumulative range is 35-41, I don't think you can go too wrong.

I totally understood what happens to the frequency. I said "It decreases on the the way up" not increases. The thing that got me is that they wanted the absolute value of the shift, furthermore, I didn't conceptualize the "shift" as reaching zero when it stops moving. I just thought "at the apex of flight the frequency will return back to F(o). Honestly, I wanted to pick the correct choice since I had eliminated the others, but the wording of the question made me doubt myself; if I can't justify an answer choice then I pick the one that I can justify. In this case, it was something like frequency decreases on the 1st half of flight.

If I could, somehow, trust my knowledge of the concepts, or overlook the complicated wording of certain questions I think I'd have a bit more breathing room in the PS section.

Never the less, thanks for taking the time to explain the way you tackled the problem. Perhaps I can mirror the type of reasoning you used, because mine seems to not be in line with those of the test writers.

Last edited:
It seems like everyone has their own strategy. Personally, I read fast enough that I have a decent amount of time to look back at the passage, so I try to make sure I can justify every single answer I choose with something from the passage. I was shocked when I read examkrackers guide and it said to never look back at the passage. That might be good advice for getting an OK score but for a decent/good/great one, you have to look back.

Unless the question is really really easy, I always question my "gut" (often not what you are told for tests, I guess, but they really like to trick people with verbal). If I'm clearly not understanding a passage while reading I either stop and do another passage before going back and trying again, or I take a few breaths and reread from the beginning. No point wasting time if you aren't really comprehending what you're reading.

Thank you for your advice. I definitely agree with you. I wish I was able to read fast enough to do that; sometimes I end up with only only 5 min left on the last passage.

So they say the last test is indicative of your overall score. I scored a 32 on AAMC 10 on Thursday but took AAMC 11 today and scored a 27. I know I sound like every other poor pre-med kid on here but I feel like I am way better than a 27. I know everyone says the real test is even harder than AAMC 10 and 11 but I still feel like I can do well and I have been studying my ass off for four months and still am pretty confident. I was wondering if anyone has a nice motivational story to share. That would motivate me! Thanks

So they say the last test is indicative of your overall score. I scored a 32 on AAMC 10 on Thursday but took AAMC 11 today and scored a 27. I know I sound like every other poor pre-med kid on here but I feel like I am way better than a 27. I know everyone says the real test is even harder than AAMC 10 and 11 but I still feel like I can do well and I have been studying my ass off for four months and still am pretty confident. I was wondering if anyone has a nice motivational story to share. That would motivate me! Thanks

Yeah man I was pretty much in the same boat as you. I started with AAMC 7, and then in order took all the rest. My scores were 29, 31, 32, 27 27 on 10 and 11. I've taken 3, 4, 5 now too with scores of 34, 33, 31

Honestly at this point, I feel like I have done all I could do for the MCAT. I've been studying for the better part of 9 months, and I feel like my performance on the test is going to be a combination of test-specific things, like if I know the specific things discretes ask on my test day, in addition to test day jitters.

For me, all I can do, even with those poor later scores, is just be confident in myself and hope that I can prove AAMC 10 and 11 wrong.

We both can do it.... the fact that we've scored 32 shows it. I think I'm gonna take the next week off. I honestly think I psyche myself out. I did my best on my two tests that I spaced out the longest

Ah I completely understand, I'm also in the same position. Good luck to us all.