The Official April 24, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopelessDreamer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else on here taking it on the 24th? I'm going to start studying later this week. What is everyone else's study plan?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Well, I'm done screw it. CBT 11: 30 10/9/11. I seem to be capped at 31 (my highest scores); however, I'd love a 33. So I'll just do what I've been doing and hope I sore 30+ on Thursday.

I've got 2 chapters left of Nova Physics to finish up by Tuesday. Good luck to everyone taking on the 24th! A special thanks to those of you that answered my questions; you guys have been quite helpful.

See you in a month, lol.
Good luck! You're gonna do great. Stay calm. 30 is a great score.

AAMC 11: 30.

If only I managed my time right for physics I would have scored higher. Lesson learned. Transitioning from all the AAMC conceptual based exam really threw me off on timing today. :slap:( Thats what I get for spending too much time on some on the calculation based questions).

Did anyone else find it difficult for managing their time on PS. I usually end up with 10 minutes to spare at the end. I really don't know what happened today. I'm really bummed out. The lowest I've scored for PS section is 11. I'm not sure what to make of my results. Advice and some motivation anyone ?

If only I managed my time right for physics I would have scored higher. Lesson learned. Transitioning from all the AAMC conceptual based exam really threw me off on timing today. :slap:( Thats what I get for spending too much time on some on the calculation based questions).

Did anyone else find it difficult for managing their time on PS. I usually end up with 10 minutes to spare at the end. I really don't know what happened today. I'm really bummed out. The lowest I've scored for PS section is 11. I'm not sure what to make of my results. Advice and some motivation anyone ?
How was the verbal compared to 10?

Members don't see this ad :)
AAMC 11

32 10/11/11

Ok, I'm glad that verbal went up that high, but what in the world went on in physics? That section seemed particularly easy...

How was the verbal compared to 10?

Verbal wasn't too bad. The worst is that they know you're tired by the end of the verbal exam and then they throw you a very conceptual passage. That has happened on every AAMC (iirc) so expect the same on this one. Despite that, a couple of the passages were actually fun to read this time around.

AAMC 11

32 10/11/11

Ok, I'm glad that verbal went up that high, but what in the world went on in physics? That section seemed particularly easy...

Verbal wasn't too bad. The worst is that they know you're tired by the end of the verbal exam and then they throw you a very conceptual passage. That has happened on every AAMC (iirc) so expect the same on this one. Despite that, a couple of the passages were actually fun to read this time around.
What have been you scores on 9 and 10?

Whoa, 11 was tough. I keep reminding myself before each section- "Think big picture, think big picture".
PS- Beast. My score suffered due to physics in this section. Doing the discretes first really help with my timing and confidence, though.
VR- Felt alright. I took a 5 second break between passages and told myself "Focus... ENJOY this ****" lol
BS- Felt different. Before the test, I convinced myself that for the most part, the answers will need to be extracted from the passage, so don't bank on memorized facts/

All in all, 9/10/9- 28. I'll take it.

Post game in a couple of hours.

What have been you scores on 9 and 10?

AAMC 9 - 12/9/10 31
AAMC 10 - 10/8/10 28 (my worst score in weeks)

Going back over the PS, there are 3 questions where I marked the answer correctly (I specifically remember marking the correct answers) and upon review of these questions it was recorded that I put completely wrong answers. Idk if anyone else has had that happen to them before but this test also had other glitches as in portions of passages I would highlight would delete themselves from the test. Could explain some of the discrepancy in my PS score since my raw PS score was 39/52 would have been 42/52.

Can't wait to take 11 tomorrow. Trying to fight through the SN2 final 1/3 passages, but its tough lol. I will for sure review notes though, and probably go over all of them lightly on wednesday.

Can't wait to take 11 tomorrow. Trying to fight through the SN2 final 1/3 passages, but its tough lol. I will for sure review notes though, and probably go over all of them lightly on wednesday.
I'm taking AAMC 11 tomorrow as well. Today I'm fighting through the rest of the physics discretes in the TPRH SW and then gonna work some chem and physics passages I think.

Yeah what are people's plans Wednesday? I have class but I am thinking just notes and flash cards. No passages or anything with an A,B,C,D.

Gahhh i got such easy questions wrong on AAMC 11 I want to punch myself in the face so bad but I can't afford to lose any brain cells for Thursday

Got a freaking "which gets oxidized" question wrong. Did the math wrong for the Young's modulus. Assumed the order of values they give you increase, when a middle number was actually smaller. Faaaa* :poke:+pissed+

Last edited:
On Wednesday I'm going to review all of the notes I have, including going over all my "post games" for all the AAMCs in the morning/early afternoon, and then relax the rest of the day.

Members don't see this ad :)
Def gonna do a verbal section the day before when I wake up
Formulas/Kaplan Quicksheets all day
Read my notes from the FLs
Do random practice problems in PS

Guys, have you done the Official Guide to the MCAT questions? I though they were extremely tough, only done the PS sections so far.

22/28 correct in Physics and 25/28 correct in Gen Chem. Not feeling good at all....

Monovalent metal means the formula for the hydroxide is XOH (X being the metal).

If Kb = 1 x 10^-6, then we can set up this equilibrium equation: Kb = [X+][OH-]. Since the dissociation will lead to equal amounts of X+ and OH-, we will have the equation as Kb = [OH-]^2.

sqrt(1*10^-6) = [OH-] = 1 * 10 ^ -3

pOH = -log(1*10^-3) = 3.

14 - pOH = pH = 11.

hi guys, I gave this explanation to a poster regarding their question, and I am wondering something myself now.

In the equilibrium expression, it would just be kb = [X+][OH-] right? Nothing in the denominator because the metal is solid. Am I correct in assuming this? Even if the question was asking us to figure out the Kb or whatever, when we do the weak base approximation, the denominator for the equilibrium expression will still have nothing right? since a solid would not be there...Am I self-doubting too much here?

Guys, have you done the Official Guide to the MCAT questions? I though they were extremely tough, only done the PS sections so far.

22/28 correct in Physics and 25/28 correct in Gen Chem. Not feeling good at all....

Being that yyou are scoring terrific on the AAMCs and that the prevailing majority score around their last few scores... I'm gonna assume that those are just extremely hard questions

I did the verbal ones just now and yeah some of them they marked as easy 90% of people got them right and I was like whoops... not good haha.

hi guys, I gave this explanation to a poster regarding their question, and I am wondering something myself now.

In the equilibrium expression, it would just be kb = [X+][OH-] right? Nothing in the denominator because the metal is solid. Am I correct in assuming this? Even if the question was asking us to figure out the Kb or whatever, when we do the weak base approximation, the denominator for the equilibrium expression will still have nothing right? since a solid would not be there...Am I self-doubting too much here?

I'm not sure where you are confused. But your explanation before is correct. Since MX is a solid it is considered 1 in the denominator. Anything solid =1.

This is what I was warning about. Some of the questions were very challenging. :O Let me know what you think of the bio section. I didn't feel good at all there esp. considering its my strongest section.

This is what I was warning about. Some of the questions were very challenging. :O Let me know what you think of the bio section. I didn't feel good at all there esp. considering its my strongest section.

Bio was pretty ridiculous, honestly, it was more VR than anything else. If I could put it one way, all the passages were on par or harder than the Ebola passage on AAMC 11. Once you get the theme of passage, it becomes relatively easier, but still.... I timed myself on it, and did quite poorly.

Bio was pretty ridiculous, honestly, it was more VR than anything else. If I could put it one way, all the passages were on par or harder than the Ebola passage on AAMC 11. Once you get the theme of passage, it becomes relatively easier, but still.... I timed myself on it, and did quite poorly.

Ugh I know. Most of the passages seem like abstract puzzles. Once you figure the main idea everything else is relatively easy. However, the challenge comes due to the time constraint, not necessarily the difficulty of the passages per say.

I'm not sure where you are confused. But your explanation before is correct. Since MX is a solid it is considered 1 in the denominator. Anything solid =1.

Yeah I was just confirming because I saw another link with the same question and that person was doing something different so it got me thinking. Thanks.

Ugh I know. Most of the passages seem like abstract puzzles. Once you figure the main idea everything else is relatively easy. However, the challenge comes due to the time constraint, not necessarily the difficulty of the passages per say.

Assuming the scoring scale of AAMC 11,

I have a 11 PS 10BS so far..

I think I'm the only person that actively posts and hasnt broken a 30 yet..... Its my verbal thats holding me back.

Last edited:
Honestly, frustrating yourself with new material now probably isn't best. When I took three days of rest in between practice tests for gold standard, I noticed the largest improvements (28,31,33). Now that I've taken a practice test every day for about two weeks between GS and AAMC, I feel super burned out. It shows in all my work. I think eliminating the silly mistakes is going to be accomplished when I start getting good sleep again and relax these next two days. I'm only going to be doing three things tomorrow: 1. Thermodynamics and Hess's Law 2. Circuits and electrical power 3. AAMC post gaming

I printed out every single AAMC test and put it in a giant folder. For all the ones I got wrong, I've been writing detailed solutions. Again though, I think the ONLY way to eliminate the silly mistakes is to not be sleepy when taking the test and to allow at least 2 days buffer of letting the material in your mind gestate.

On a brighter note, I don't know what I'm going to do with all of my free time after the test! I know I'm going to walk out and then say, "well now what do I do?"

Right there with you bud. I've scored a 29 on several occasions, though. Going in and giving it all I got.
You guys/gals can do it. Last year when I was studying I couldn't break 30 from AAMC 3-8. Then I got a 30 on #9. Verbal is my nemesis as well and still is. Don't think about your past scores. If you were to go back now, knowing what you know, and take AAMC 3-9 I'm sure you could break 30. 3 more days! Stay confident.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi all..... new to SDN, found it a somewhat productive way to distract myself from studying. I did self study and don't feel ready AT ALL.... I did happen to take the aamc 11 like a lot of you did today & got.... 10PS 10VR 11BS .... which is actually my second highest score to date.

I am really hoping Thursday will go better, I want to break 33 SO BAD!!!

Yes, but they kind of ten to get gross real fast if you pull them out with a bunch of wax on them.

Also, it's nice to have quiet but when you start focusing on the noises your body makes, like the sound of swallowing, it can be distracting. I'd advise if you've never used earplugs for testing that you try them out eithe tomorrow or Wednesday. Don't wait until test day to experiment with testing strategies.

Yes, but they kind of ten to get gross real fast if you pull them out with a bunch of wax on them.

Also, it's nice to have quiet but when you start focusing on the noises your body makes, like the sound of swallowing, it can be distracting. I'd advise if you've never used earplugs for testing that you try them out eithe tomorrow or Wednesday. Don't wait until test day to experiment with testing strategies.

Omg I thought it was only me that couldn't concentrate with ear plugs

I think I'm the only person that actively posts and hasnt broken a 30 yet..... Its my verbal thats holding me back.

Naw, im there as well. Made a 29 on AAMC 11 and that was my highest to date. Reviewing by doing SAs today, flashcards/ 1 or 2 verbal passages tommorow.....then giving it all to God.lol

Reactions: 2 users
I'm gonna take AAMC 11 in a couple minutes, and don't worry, I also haven't broken 30 yet! However, my goal isn't to score above a 30.

Be confident and stay positive !!! Anything is possible on test day. Also, the forums are bias those who post their scores are usually the ones who score really high. So don't pay attention to that. Its a tough exam so just do your best.

Due to a filled schedule, a test coming up, and the semester lab report due this week, I've been crunched for time. Just took the physics portion of AAMC 11 in the noisy library (forgot my headphones in my car) and scored a 12 (Screwing up the lewis structure question prevented me from a 13 lol). Despite the ideal situation, I'll be taking AAMC 11 in stages and taking my score with a grain of salt. I have been consistently scoring >30 now, which I feel will help me since I'm applying strictly DO.

Edit: just tallied up my responses, and the damn chem is what killed me. I got 20/25 on chem q's, but 26/27 on the physics. My BS section is the same, Ochem kills whereas bio I can breeze through.

Last edited:
Trying to relax and study today is killing me.... i can't imagine my nerves tomorrow! Anyone else there with me!? hah

Today is my last day of studying. MCAT, you will be missed. Actually on second thought, no you wont.

I hope we get a test that is heavy on physics and Ochem, my strong points. As for VR, I just hope that the gods are kind to me on Thur. Please, no Confucius, let us read about old dinosaurs and James Randi the magician.

Last edited:

The timing for PS in this one was pretty tough, I marked a lot of questions to go back on, but I ended up finishing just on time if not rushed in the end.

PS 11 VR 11 BS 14

That evola question in BS threw me off, I had a lot of time though on the bio section and was able to go back and reread the passage, but it was pretty confusing at first. Aside from the physical, I though the verbal and bio were very fair. Hopefully I wont have timing issues with PS on the actual test. Missed some pretty easy questions because there just wasn't enough time.

Oh and as far as the official guide to mcat, I did them three weeks ago and they were pretty demoralizing. Some passages felt easy but turned out hard, like the eggshell intensity of birds passage. I was just hoping that the writers put those specific questions for a reason, because although some of the questions are listed as easy, they are topics that aren't brought up as much on most tests.

Last edited:
Haha, I actually enjoyed that Randi bit on VR.

In regards to preference on our test on Thursday, looks like we're virtual opposites. I'd love a Chem heavy and very minimal Ochem test.

I'm currently going over flashcards, I'll probably do this all day today.

Since it is active, I will say: against.

Actually, its kind-of both. It moves 1 molecule against will moving another molecule down.

Question: Is secondary active transport down or against the concentration gradient?

One of the molecules will move down its concentration gradient providing energy to move the other molecule (=undergoing secondary active transport) to move against its concentration gradient.