The Official April 24, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopelessDreamer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else on here taking it on the 24th? I'm going to start studying later this week. What is everyone else's study plan?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
upload_2014-4-19_21-14-41.png

Members don't see this ad :)
Right? It's not going to be this easy, there've got to be some bat **** crazy passages out there that are waiting to be unloaded onto me on test day, but they might not be on your test though because apparently they can differ. Whoops.

Hey guys,

I'm a little late to the party, but I brought some taco bell, so it's cool right (anyone else think their marketing department is killing it?).
I'm very excited to finish. What's everyone's plan for wrap up, rest, digest these next few days?

For me its doing more practice tests and reviewing weak sections. I'm graduating this semester, and 2 of my professors decided to make the final a week earlier than the syllabus….so one normal test monday and 2 finals tuesday, wed off and mcat thursday.

just want to say thanks to those 2 tuesday professors……not.

Tomorrow- Go over all previous AAMC exams.
4/21- AAMC 11, Post game
4/22- Get a haircut, go over all notes/flashcards.
4/23- Light review/rest brain.
4/24- Commit murder at the Prometric center.
4/25-4/26- Screw a couple bad b*tches.

Theeeeeen I'll start working on my application. (Texas resident, application opens May 1st)

Reactions: 3 users
4/21- AAMC 11, Post game

Theeeeeen I'll start working on my application. (Texas resident, application opens May 1st)[/QUOTE boss.

4/21- AAMC 11, Post game

Theeeeeen I'll start working on my application. (Texas resident, application opens May 1st)
Boss

Good luck next week guys, y'all got this and will be lurking here for all the success stories after the scores are released!

Dammm aamc 11 was hard...
It's like every single topic i am weak on from Physics, Gchem, and Bio was chosen by a consortium of **holes to rip me a new one.

Did mediocre - 31 (lowest AAMC score yet, although more balanced), but I sure as hell hope that test day isn't this hard across both science sections. Verbal was manageable but as per usual, less than 5 min to do the last passage and guessed on 2 : /

Last edited:
[Q UOTE="Bbqchickenman, post: 15147907, member: 601558"]Dammm aamc 11 was hard...
It's like every single topic i am weak on from Physics, Gchem, and Bio was chosen by a consortium of **holes to rip me a new one.

Did mediocre - 31 (lowest AAMC score yet, although more balanced), but I sure as hell hope that test day isn't this hard across both science sections. Verbal was manageable but as per usual, less than 5 min to do the last passage and guessed on 2 : /[/QUOTE]
How did ya do on 10

Members don't see this ad :)
[Q UOTE="Bbqchickenman, post: 15147907, member: 601558"]Dammm aamc 11 was hard...

Did mediocre - 31 (lowest AAMC score yet, although more balanced), but I sure as hell hope that test day isn't this hard across both science sections. Verbal was manageable but as per usual, less than 5 min to do the last passage and guessed on 2 : /
How did ya do on 10[/QUOTE]

12, 9, 11 verbal was an outlier for me

I got a 15 8 13 on AAMC 10,

I definitely though 11 was tougher, but more manageable. PS had more calculations/dimensional analysis that takes up more time but nothing out of the blue. My verbal was pretty good on this one. I would say 10 was my outlier verbal. BS was also manageable, but was a lot more specific than I expected.

I am happy with the split, so I would prefer it to my AAMC 10 score.

Also you got a 32 not a 31 haha. Nothing to fret about, considering it seemed to test your weaknesses.

Dammm aamc 11 was hard...

Taking AAMC 11 tomorrow. Great, I hope this exam doesn't completely kill my confidence.

I got a 15 8 13 on AAMC 10,

I definitely though 11 was tougher, but more manageable. PS had more calculations/dimensional analysis that takes up more time but nothing out of the blue. My verbal was pretty good on this one. I would say 10 was my outlier verbal. BS was also manageable, but was a lot more specific than I expected.

I am happy with the split, so I would prefer it to my AAMC 10 score.

Also you got a 32 not a 31 haha. Nothing to fret about, considering it seemed to test your weaknesses.

What does tougher but more manageable mean?

By manageable, I mean that the calculations in PS always work out perfectly unlike Kaplan/GS. You can tend to predict if you are on the right track if your calculations work out. Therefore if you find the simple approach to a calculation (they take literally 10 seconds or you can do them in your head). Personally, I would advice against this because of careless errors which the AAMC loves.

BS, had a tough Ebola passage, but again, once you find the theme/trick on passage it becomes relatively easy. Once I found out what it was actually saying, the passage was fairly straightforward. Although, I did made some very stupid mistakes on the overall BS which resulted in a 12 (still happy with it nonetheless).

Overall, don't go into the exam and psyche yourself out because of what I or anyone else had said about this test. Sometimes, I feel like our greatest enemy is our self because we expect something to be difficult. Had this test been blinded, I may have done better since I would not have gone it with the expectation of it being crazy difficult.

We are already under this precept that the real MCAT is some monster test way harder than these AAMC exams. Unfortunately I think we will all still think this on test day, but in reality, it may just be another test that appears more difficult because of anxiety and what everyone else says. Basically, we end up making it tougher because everyone else says so as well.

We have all worked hard, so don't let one test score good or bad affect your demeanor going it (I know its hard not to). Just keep your head up and stay confident and see what happens because ultimately no one can predict the **** show of a test the MCAT is going to be.

By manageable, I mean that the calculations in PS always work out perfectly unlike Kaplan/GS. You can tend to predict if you are on the right track if your calculations work out. Therefore if you find the simple approach to a calculation (they take literally 10 seconds or you can do them in your head). Personally, I would advice against this because of careless errors which the AAMC loves.

BS, had a tough Ebola passage, but again, once you find the theme/trick on passage it becomes relatively easy. Once I found out what it was actually saying, the passage was fairly straightforward. Although, I did made some very stupid mistakes on the overall BS which resulted in a 12 (still happy with it nonetheless).

Overall, don't go into the exam and psyche yourself out because of what I or anyone else had said about this test. Sometimes, I feel like our greatest enemy is our self because we expect something to be difficult. Had this test been blinded, I may have done better since I would not have gone it with the expectation of it being crazy difficult.

We are already under this precept that the real MCAT is some monster test way harder than these AAMC exams. Unfortunately I think we will all still think this on test day, but in reality, it may just be another test that appears more difficult because of anxiety and what everyone else says. Basically, we end up making it tougher because everyone else says so as well.

We have all worked hard, so don't let one test score good or bad affect your demeanor going it (I know its hard not to). Just keep your head up and stay confident and see what happens because ultimately no one can predict the **** show of a test the MCAT is going to be.
That's very true.

Today I am gonna be doing BR chemistry passages.

Tomorrow morning I am gonna take AAMC 11 and hope for a 30+. Then post game analysis and more BR chem and TPRH physics.

Tuesday gonna work more physics and TPRH bio passages.

Wednesday gonna review everything and go over formulas again. Maybe watch some chad videos.

Thursday I'm gonna bend over Mcat.

Reactions: 1 users
Can anyone explain this?

12) What would be the pH of a 1.0 M solution of the unknown salt hydroxide given that the metal is monovalent?

Kb=1.0 x 10-6
Correct Answer: A

Last edited:
Can anyone explain this?

12) What would be the pH of a 1.0 M solution of the unknown salt hydroxide given that the metal is monovalent?

pKb=1.0 x 10-6
Correct Answer: A

Monovalent metal means the formula for the hydroxide is XOH (X being the metal).

If Kb = 1 x 10^-6, then we can set up this equilibrium equation: Kb = [X+][OH-]. Since the dissociation will lead to equal amounts of X+ and OH-, we will have the equation as Kb = [OH-]^2.

sqrt(1*10^-6) = [OH-] = 1 * 10 ^ -3

pOH = -log(1*10^-3) = 3.

14 - pOH = pH = 11.

Monovalent metal means the formula for the hydroxide is XOH (X being the metal).

If Kb = 1 x 10^-6, then we can set up this equilibrium equation: Kb = [X+][OH-]. Since the dissociation will lead to equal amounts of X+ and OH-, we will have the equation as Kb = [OH-]^2.

pOH = -log(1*10^-3) = 3.

14 - pOH = pH = 11.

Is it weird that got me a little hot and bothered...

pOH = -log(1*10^-3) = 3.

14 - pOH = pH = 11.

I thought to do this. But then wouldn't monovalent qualify as alkali metals which are strong bases ?

It cannot be a strong base after you see that the Kb value is 10^-6 <-- this should indicate that it is a weak base so you have to use the weak base approximation formula.

I thought to do this. But then wouldn't monovalent qualify as alkali metals which are strong bases ?

That's what I assumed at first too, that it was a strong base, but that didn't make sense with the Kb value.

Is it weird that got me a little hot and bothered...

Not at all. That's how I get the ladies actually, tell them how to solve equilibrium problems.

:dead: This is how I feel after reviewing all my mistakes.

3 more days guys :soexcited: then catch up with game of thrones

Hey everyone, I'm in much better spirits today than yesterday. Going to Easter service this morning really help clear my mind out of anxiety.

I know there are people of many different faiths and creeds on this forum, but I'd like to say happy Easter to all of you and I pray you find peace and comfort on test day.

For me, peace and relaxation has lead to all of my solid scores so far so that's what I'm all about for the next 4 days.

Reactions: 2 users
Okay so after doing so many practice tests I really feel like I have mastered most of the topics considered high yield. However, there are some topics on the AAMC content outline( i.e. thin-film interference, single-slit) that I don't feel really comfortable about since I haven't seen or done too many practice problems on these topics. Should I be worried ?

Okay so after doing so many practice tests I really feel like I have mastered most of the topics considered high yield. However, there are some topics on the AAMC content outline( i.e. thin-film interference, single-slit) that I don't feel really comfortable about since I haven't seen or done too many practice problems on these topics. Should I be worried ?
I think if that stuff shows you'll be fine cause everyone else will fail it too lol

I'm taking it in the AM. I've scored a 29 on several occasions but have yet to score a 30 on a practice test. Hoping for the best, as AAMC 11 is the most representative of the real deal.

When're you taking AAMC 11?
I think Tuesday morning. I wanna get through the rest of the physics discretes in the TPRH science workbook and do some more chem passages before I do it. I have 200 more physics discretes.

On break for aamc 11: I didn't finish Physical science: guessed on 5 questions. I think I should just give up :(. That was brutal.

Just finished PS aamc11. Personally, I thought it was a lot of fun. It played a lot to my strengths. We'll see in a couple of hours how I did.

It was A LOT of calculation though and it was tough to manage my time. There was 1 that I looked at,gave 10 seconds of thought, and then realized I didn't have enough time or inclination to calculate so I guessed on that one. I think strategic guessing is really going to be important on test day. You can get away with 1 or 2.

Last practice test complete! AAMC 11: 38 13/11/14... let's hope something like this can happen on test day!

Hey quick question for everyone. I typically write down a formula sheet during the 10 minutes of tutorial time. Do we technically have an additional 10 minutes to write down facts during the examinee agreement during the test?

Well, I'm done screw it. CBT 11: 30 10/9/11. I seem to be capped at 31 (my highest scores); however, I'd love a 33. So I'll just do what I've been doing and hope I sore 30+ on Thursday.

I've got 2 chapters left of Nova Physics to finish up by Tuesday. Good luck to everyone taking on the 24th! A special thanks to those of you that answered my questions; you guys have been quite helpful.

See you in a month, lol.

Hey quick question for everyone. I typically write down a formula sheet during the 10 minutes of tutorial time. Do we technically have an additional 10 minutes to write down facts during the examinee agreement during the test?

I believe the test does not start until you click begin because there's a screen explaining what the physical science section is about, however, I can't recall.

Same sort of thing happens after a break finishes, we're not forced to start a section when the timer hits zero.