The Official April 5th, 2014 MCAT Thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BeachBlondie

Put some tussin on it!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
139 days!

You know, for a couple of weeks I thought I would just not subscribe to any particular SDN MCAT thread. Figured it wasn't necessary. But, frankly, knowing that there are other people out there--pissed about not remembering values for logs, and trying to sort out where epinephrine is secreted from ("Was that the adrenal cortex... or adrenal medulla?")--makes this slog towards test date bearable :)

Best of luck, fellow lost souls!

(P.S...... it's from the medulla ;) )

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I applied my normal study habits with classes to my MCAT note taking, which is very simple: reading along and taking notes. I try and read over my personal notes as much as possible and find that my handwriting is easier to log into memory than typed text. Eventually, I'll start making "cheat sheets" of each chapter. I just finished the Gen. Chem. section of Kaplan's books and plan on reading through my notes today, writing down important formulas on one sheet and any sort of other useful concepts, sentences, relationships between variables, etc on another separate sheet. Those 2 sheets will be the only thing I end up studying from then on regarding general chemistry and I'll replicate them for OChem, Physics and Biology.
I thought that the note taking process on content review was taking up too much of my time, but in my mind it's so very important to take GOOD notes while reading because that condenses a large amount of material into concepts and formulas that are better to learn than endless amounts of ****. Even if you're unsure of the information you're writing down, you can always review and master those topics with other resources. Hope this helps?

Do you plan on re-reading chapters like the Sn2 method suggests? I'm currently using OneNote for some notes and handwriting others but I think I'm going to rewrite those and hand-write the rest. I just get stuck on perfection and can't stand messy notes which slows me down (OneNote helps with this, but obviously handwriting is better for memorization). Whereas if I were to read through and answer questions I'd be done in half the time and could read through a second time. Even if I stop note-taking on content I will still be making a formula sheet with side notes. I don't really have a go to study method as it really depends on the class and professor so I don't have any one method that is fail-safe. Very content heavy classes with limited time would usually be just adding to a powerpoint during lecture and rewriting on a whiteboard for memorization with the occasional cheat sheet. Any thoughts or suggestions?

they are definitely worded confusingly! I'm actually behind so I'm on Day 4 when I should be on Day 9, so I need to just skip to questions right now. I'm also using the BR pdfs so it doesn't help that the book looks like they were printed a century ago. lol

I had a question though, since chemistry doesn't include the review passages like in physics, are you guys just doing 1/3 of the study passages? For example, Gen Chem Section 1 on stoichiometry has 12 corresponding study passages, so on Day 2 of the Sn2ed plan, I did passages 1, 4, 7, and 10. Is this correct?

I do believe that is the correct way of going about it! Just to share, I have been using other practice problems and saving those(TBR Passages) for timed practice. Thinking under timed conditions seems to be an issue for me on test day. If I just do practice problems at my own pace I do well, but then when doing them timed I make super stupid mistakes.

As for note taking, I have been just writing down the minimal. Having taken the MCAT before, I have come to terms with the fact I will never remember every detail, so its just seems like a waste to write a ton down. I am just focusing on how to think the right way about the problems, and practice practice practice!

Hi guys! I recently signed up for the April 5th MCAT as well. I'm planning on using BR for content review in gen chem, physics, and orgo, but I'm stuck on what prep book to use for bio. What would you guys recommend for someone who needs an in-depth review? It's been a couple years since I've taken my bio prereqs, and I'm afraid EK won't cut it for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys! I recently signed up for the April 5th MCAT as well. I'm planning on using BR for content review in gen chem, physics, and orgo, but I'm stuck on what prep book to use for bio. What would you guys recommend for someone who needs an in-depth review? It's been a couple years since I've taken my bio prereqs, and I'm afraid EK won't cut it for me.

I personally recommend TPR for Bio Content Review

Just decided to register for this test after canceling my registration for Jan 25th. Got a bit behind on my schedule. Almost done with content review. I am more than ready to be done and start the taking PT consistently.

I might be too late but I had this same issue. I was about 10 pages in for lecture 1 of EK bio when I realized the review was too condensed for me. Luckily, I still have kaplan review books that I had from a free kaplan course given to my schools premed students that I didn't even use. Opened it up and realized that it was just right for me for bio review, not too condensed like EK and no too detailed like BR. I don't have TPR but if its anything like Kaplan's bio then u should be good.

How is everyone's studying going?

Over the course of this month I've found that reading chapters I am already strong in is a complete and utter waste of time (for me it was kinematics, stoichiometry, and thermodynamics among others) mostly the beginning chapters.

Even if I feel somewhat confident in an area I don't bother to waste precious time reading it thoroughly, taking notes on it, or for gods sake re-reading it lol. I might quickly skim through that chapter for formulas, sentences surrounding formulas, and examples (takes 20-30 min) and then jump into the practice passages (timed) and some EK 1001's (also timed) as my content review for that chapter. With that said, I read some chapters--circuits and optics for example with surgical precision :grumpy:

Your brain power should not be spread out equally among all the topics--in my opinion.

Anyone do TBR physics ch. 7 yet. Those passages are crazy difficult imo. I haven't done Electrostatics in a while (and the chapter was unsatisfying in terms of info), but compared with TPR science workbook questions, TBR questions were downright humiliatingly difficult.

Hi, guys. I just signed up this week for 4/5... nervous but excited...esp. since a lot of my friends decided to take it late April/May.
How are you all studying?

I'm taking it on the 5th also and am beginning studying at the end of this week. Anybody else using Kaplan Advantage On-Demand?
I took the "on site" class this break in my home state & used my repeat that'll take effect before this month ends, which will be the on demand one.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you plan on re-reading chapters like the Sn2 method suggests? I'm currently using OneNote for some notes and handwriting others but I think I'm going to rewrite those and hand-write the rest. I just get stuck on perfection and can't stand messy notes which slows me down (OneNote helps with this, but obviously handwriting is better for memorization). Whereas if I were to read through and answer questions I'd be done in half the time and could read through a second time. Even if I stop note-taking on content I will still be making a formula sheet with side notes. I don't really have a go to study method as it really depends on the class and professor so I don't have any one method that is fail-safe. Very content heavy classes with limited time would usually be just adding to a powerpoint during lecture and rewriting on a whiteboard for memorization with the occasional cheat sheet. Any thoughts or suggestions?
I can understand the 'messy note' thing. I'm re-reading the Kaplan books and broke it down to part 1/2/3; so last week, got through each topic (except verbal :/ ... and just repeating that, but taking notes while I read. I've always been one to write too much, so my notes are condensed versions of the book...ie. the 1st 3 chapters and cp. 7= 8 pages of notes front and back, sorry, I meant total 8 pages (so about 4-6 pages of notes), some sides with less writing...it's better than the 50+ pages for a few chapters, and I also put equations down as well. I guess if anything, write eqs. and topics that you don't feel confident on so that you can come back to them. When I took the class this winter break, I read just to get through the chapters, so I didn't write anything down. I'm a huge fan of study guides, that's just what I tend to make for studying for classes, but I guess it just depends on what method is more effective for you. I like color, highlighting, and pen/paper. Whatever works for you :)

Last edited:
Just decided to register for this test after canceling my registration for Jan 25th. Got a bit behind on my schedule. Almost done with content review. I am more than ready to be done and start the taking PT consistently.

I didn't cancel in time, so I'll be taking the exam (as practice) and voiding it. Got bad practice exams results and not feeling super confident. So hopefully they'll be some opened seats on this day when I sign up for it next week.

How is everyone's studying going?

Over the course of this month I've found that reading chapters I am already strong in is a complete and utter waste of time (for me it was kinematics, stoichiometry, and thermodynamics among others) mostly the beginning chapters.

Even if I feel somewhat confident in an area I don't bother to waste precious time reading it thoroughly, taking notes on it, or for gods sake re-reading it lol. I might quickly skim through that chapter for formulas, sentences surrounding formulas, and examples (takes 20-30 min) and then jump into the practice passages (timed) and some EK 1001's (also timed) as my content review for that chapter. With that said, I read some chapters--circuits and optics for example with surgical precision :grumpy:

Your brain power should not be spread out equally among all the topics--in my opinion.

I think a good rule of thumb is to do practice practice practice passages on the chapters you skim. It'll be a good test to see if you REALLY know it or not and then write down the topics of the questions that you got wrong. For me, I'm pretty good with every chapter of EK Bio (major) except endocrine system (more memorizing than conceptual), physics and especially gchem are my weak areas.

Last edited:
Is anyone else simply ready to get this over with? If for no other reason than to call it done??

I'm aiming for 35+, and my first full-length after a studying hiatus (AAMC 9) was a 30. Right after being on the heels of averaging a 33-ish. A FREAKING 30!!! I mean, come on; that's well short of what I need to earn whence test day rolls around. I went from disappointment, to apathy, to a growing sense of resolution. I'm just tired of having this April 5th exam hanging over my head. Can anyone else relate?

By the way, who are my fellow victims that will be applying this year? :D

Last edited:
Is anyone else simply ready to get this over with? If for no other reason than to call it done??

I'm aiming for 35+, and my first full-length after a studying hiatus (AAMC 9) was a 30. Right after being on the heels of averaging a 33-ish. A FREAKING 30!!! I mean, come on; that's well short of what I need to earn whence test day rolls around. I went from disappointment, to apathy, to a growing sense of resolution. I'm just tired of having this April 5th exam hanging over my head. Can anyone else relate?

Consider me victim #1. I just can't wait to be done w/ this so I can somewhat enjoy the rest of my semesters left.

I'm ready for it. Definitely.

tumblrm1iaiuebbp1rqfhi2.gif

I'm ready for it. Definitely.

tumblrm1iaiuebbp1rqfhi2.gif
Lol, I'm DONE, hahahaha. Spent ~ 6 hours rereading/taking notes on 4 chapters of the Physics review. This is how I felt when it was 8pm and I was working on my actual Physics HW for school. I cannot wait until I'm finished w/ content so I can actually start studying/review.
the GIF was a nice touch. 10 pts.

Hey guys, I took the test once on September 12th of last year, so hoping this time it goes a lot better. I'm just quickly finishing reviewing some content I was rusty on, but luckily I still remember a lot of it from the first time I studied. A question, should I retake the AAMC practice tests? I took them all before but I don't really remember them well, but I'm worried that the scores could still be inflated. What other practice tests could I take along side that? If anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it.

Hey guys, I took the test once on September 12th of last year, so hoping this time it goes a lot better. I'm just quickly finishing reviewing some content I was rusty on, but luckily I still remember a lot of it from the first time I studied. A question, should I retake the AAMC practice tests? I took them all before but I don't really remember them well, but I'm worried that the scores could still be inflated. What other practice tests could I take along side that? If anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it.

I took the MCAT in August and I also unfortunately went through all the AAMC practice exams too. Yes, the scores will be inflated but they will still be worth doing. What you should do though is also take as many practice exams from other companies as possible. The Berkeley Review and the gold standard both sell practice exams that you can do. They aren't great but its something. I would run through those exams first and save the AAMCs for last so you put as much time between taking them as possible. Good luck, I'm in the same boat and am taking a bunch of kaplan exams in addition to the AAMCs again.

Is anyone taking notes?

I'm only writing down the notes of the problems I got wrong or the areas that I need reviewing, AFTER I take my practice passages. And I only note w/ short sentences/concepts (as little as possible) when I'm reading.

I'm using flash cards in lieu of notes. Quick bits of stuff that either need rote memorization, acronyms, mnemonics, or is a weakness.

Meeeeeee So excited!! Ready to start this journey!:)

I took the MCAT in August and I also unfortunately went through all the AAMC practice exams too. Yes, the scores will be inflated but they will still be worth doing. What you should do though is also take as many practice exams from other companies as possible. The Berkeley Review and the gold standard both sell practice exams that you can do. They aren't great but its something. I would run through those exams first and save the AAMCs for last so you put as much time between taking them as possible. Good luck, I'm in the same boat and am taking a bunch of kaplan exams in addition to the AAMCs again.

I actually have 5 or 6 Kaplan FLs I haven't taken yet so I can utilize those in addition to ones from the other companies as well. Thanks for the advice man, I wish us both luck.

I only plan on re-reading what areas I do poorly on practice tests/really don't understand, etc. And honestly, I feel like I'm completely wasting time with some of the physics example questions. It's hard to just skip over stuff for me, but in general, I feel like the MCAT is going to be conceptual. This means that I'm wasting time with content review if I'm not just finding the concepts that will be tested and applying them to practice test. Does that make sense? It becomes more evident and a little easier to comprehend when I looked over the AAMC's content outlines. It's all concepts with occasional equations written beside them as it applies. My biggest concern now is that I don't want to waste time with reading so detailed if I'm going to be tested on the big picture.

Hey everybody, I just took the MCAT yesterday and after how badly that BS section did me over I am hitting the books again for the March test (I know this is the April thread but the tests are close enough). One thing that REALLY helped me prepare for the test (btw I think PS and VR went very well, I hope), is I found a study partner here on SDN that used the same materials I did (TBR review books). We would decide what chapters to read and what passages to do out of the TBR books ahead of time, do them on our own, then get on Skype and go over all the passages. This helped me IMMENSELY. Lucky for my friend, it seems he did very well on the test yesterday and is all done with this nightmare. Me on the other hand, I gotta get ready for round 2. So if anyone here is using SN2ed or TBR review books and wants to SKype Study hit me up! It makes the whole process a LOT easier and its great to work through things with somebody else. Also, if we want to do a group thing if more than one person is doing SN2ed or using TBR we could try that so long as its productive. So either post on here or PM me. My skype name is G.K.Dubey. Good luck and happy studying everyone!

...then get on Skype and go over all the passages. This helped me IMMENSELY. Lucky for my friend, it seems he did very well on the test yesterday and is all done with this nightmare. Me on the other hand, I gotta get ready for round 2. So if anyone here is using SN2ed or TBR review books and wants to SKype Study hit me up! It makes the whole process a LOT easier and its great to work through things with somebody else. Also, if we want to do a group thing if more than one person is doing SN2ed or using TBR we could try that so long as its productive. So either post on here or PM me. My skype name is G.K.Dubey. Good luck and happy studying everyone!

This actually sounds like it would be awesome. I'm tempted to jump aboard, but I complete things at odd intervals (for instance, I will crank out all 100 TBR end-of-chapter questions in a night) because I'm working full-time and only have so many hours in the day to get things done. Maybe I could sit in on some questions I've already completed and do a retrospective review? I'll have to think about this.... Great suggestion, though! I hope others join in!

EDIT: Also, sorry to hear that you feel lousy about your recent real-deal BS. Hopefully things will pan out better than you anticipate; I've read from a lot of folks that the BS section is incredibly difficult and not represented adequately by the practice AAMCs.

Anyone using sn2? What chapters are you on I feel like I might be slightly behind. Any ideas for cutting things out or condensing things to move along quicker? Good Luck Everyone!

First post! Took it the first time last September, had studied for the Jan 25th test but didn't feel confident enough to do better so voided it... Now preparing for April 5th! Haven't officially signed up yet but hoping space opens up in time...

Just discovered the spinach method, so incorporating that into my study schedule. Officially going to start studying tomorrow!

First post! Took it the first time last September, had studied for the Jan 25th test but didn't feel confident enough to do better so voided it... Now preparing for April 5th! Haven't officially signed up yet but hoping space opens up in time...

Just discovered the spinach method, so incorporating that into my study schedule. Officially going to start studying tomorrow!
What's the spinach method?

Anyone using sn2? What chapters are you on I feel like I might be slightly behind. Any ideas for cutting things out or condensing things to move along quicker? Good Luck Everyone!

Cut out VR

When I do well on TBR I feel like:

All the seats in my state's April 5th is full......I'm april 11th now, can i still stay with y'all?

Also, anyone feel like some of the TBR review problems are too calculator based? I am getting them right by using intuition but the numbers feel a little "big" for mcats.

What's the spinach method?

https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/how-i-raised-my-mcat-score-by-10-points-in-2-months-—-the-spinach-method.988678/

have fun. It's basically: focus on practicing and reviewing a lot.

Anyone do TBR physics ch. 7 yet. Those passages are crazy difficult imo. I haven't done Electrostatics in a while (and the chapter was unsatisfying in terms of info), but compared with TPR science workbook questions, TBR questions were downright humiliatingly difficult.

I did passage I, V, and VII. I and V were very good but VII had me shivering in fetal position under my desk.

I did passage I, V, and VII. I and V were very good but VII had me shivering in fetal position under my desk.

I just finished all of chem... all glorious 980 questions of it. Now, I'm breaking into physics; got a 9 in Translational Motion. But that 9 was with missing nearly HALF of the questions--VERY generous curve, I dare say. So, while I can't speak to chapter 7, I'm obviously "excited" to get to it now that you've introduced it to me.

By the way.... introducing air resistance, randomly, into the questions of chapter 1? Awesome. HAHAHA...HAha...ha..heh.... *sob sob sob*

^^^I remember that passage lol

When do you all plan on starting the AAMC's?

I'm thinking of transitioning into strictly passages with minimal chapter reading in about a week or so using TBR passages and Kaplan FL's... and then start the Self Assessments in the end of February followed by 2 AAMC's per week beginning in March.

Is that it? Oh man. Soon, soon, soon.

Just 2 days away from completing my content review. Then just PTs, the rest of TBR and TPRH science workbook problems, and flashcards.

One and done!!

Just started studying for this exam- ended up paying for a Kaplan course after getting a 31 studying on my own. I realized I needed some sort of structure in order to do better just because it's been so difficult to get motivated to take this exam again.

Mostly just need to concentrate on learning the science behind the exam, took the exam aug 2013 and got a 31 (PS11, VR10, BS10) without really knowing much. Hoping that knowing the sciences better combined with my existing reasoning ability gets me to a better score but we'll see what happens.

Nice!! That's awesome. You sound like you're naturally a great critical thinker. That's my problem is learning to think outside the box.

I'm trying to do a Kaplan FL every sat this month, then start AAMC FLs in march...2 per week, and probably 3 the week of spring break. The last one will be the week of the exam for me.

I'm set on taking the MCAT on April 5th.

I finished reading all of the TBR books from the SN2ed schedule, and I started doing GS exams. I got a 34 on GS1 and a 32 on GS2... so i'm feeling kind of uneasy. I felt like based off my knowledge I should have scored a lot higher. Anyone else take those exams and feel they were graded kind of difficultly? Especially the verbal... some questions answers were not intuitive in my opinion.

I'm taking TBR FLs first before moving on to AAMC and I just finished my 2nd and got the same scores as you. 34 on the 1st, 32 on the 2nd.

Anyone else taking TBR FL paper copy tests (the really long one)?

I'm taking TBR FLs first before moving on to AAMC and I just finished my 2nd and got the same scores as you. 34 on the 1st, 32 on the 2nd.

Anyone else taking TBR FL paper copy tests (the really long one)?

Not doing the paper versions. But my TBR CBTs are available on Wednesday, I believe. I've heard TBR exam scores are pretty brutal; can anyone confirm?

Not doing the paper versions. But my TBR CBTs are available on Wednesday, I believe. I've heard TBR exam scores are pretty brutal; can anyone confirm?

I found a few dumb mistakes in the first TBR FL I took, but so far, I've found A LOT more in the 2nd one and I'm not done reviewing it. I think I just lost my focus and chose some answers simply because they looked good or seemed right. Though I will say it is a hard test and kind of calculation heavy. I know the TBR CBTs are a bit different, but I think the questions are similar and some are even the same.

I found a few dumb mistakes in the first TBR FL I took, but so far, I've found A LOT more in the 2nd one and I'm not done reviewing it. I think I just lost my focus and chose some answers simply because they looked good or seemed right. Though I will say it is a hard test and kind of calculation heavy. I know the TBR CBTs are a bit different, but I think the questions are similar and some are even the same.

They are supposed to be much harder than AAMC FLs.
In fact, they are. They require a lot of outside knowledge than AAMC does.
They are meant to prepare you for the worst.
That's why their curve is pretty generous and you wont see a huge difference between your TBR and AAMC scores.

You wont see any questions on AAMC FLs that go into so much detail btw.

Wow. I just finished the PS section on TBR FL #3. It was without a doubt the hardest section I've ever seen. Not necessarily the toughest questions in the world, but extremely calculation heavy and the passages! Oh good god.