The Official April 5th, 2014 MCAT Thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BeachBlondie

Put some tussin on it!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
139 days!

You know, for a couple of weeks I thought I would just not subscribe to any particular SDN MCAT thread. Figured it wasn't necessary. But, frankly, knowing that there are other people out there--pissed about not remembering values for logs, and trying to sort out where epinephrine is secreted from ("Was that the adrenal cortex... or adrenal medulla?")--makes this slog towards test date bearable :)

Best of luck, fellow lost souls!

(P.S...... it's from the medulla ;) )

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
My exact sentiment. PS has been my highest even though I thought it'd be my lowest. My spring break started this weekend, so I decided to take a break today and continue watching Pokemon on Netflix:D I agree, though. I'm getting more and more terrified as I get closer. I suppose that's somewhat good...I usually do better than I think when I'm in a panicky state.... Since I'll have all of next week free, I'll be studying like crazy, for the MCAT and school. But for now, back to Pokemon!

My exact sentiment. PS has been my highest even though I thought it'd be my lowest. My spring break started this weekend, so I decided to take a break today and continue watching Pokemon on Netflix:D I agree, though. I'm getting more and more terrified as I get closer. I suppose that's somewhat good...I usually do better than I think when I'm in a panicky state.... Since I'll have all of next week free, I'll be studying like crazy, for the MCAT and school. But for now, back to Pokemon!

My Spring break was this past weekend. I ended up not going home and studying all week. Hopefully it'll pay off!

Members don't see this ad :)
My Spring break was this past weekend. I ended up not going home and studying all week. Hopefully it'll pay off!
Nice! I'm doing the same thing. If I went anywhere else, I probably wouldn't get any work done if I'm honest with myself. At least I have the apartment to myself and I'll hopefully get 3 AAMC tests and a lot of reviewing done! That's the plan (and I'm hoping to stick w/ it) ! I want to finish season 1 of Pokemon today, though ;)

Lol it's one week for students to use at their disposal...I'm also from Texas so I assume you know what that is lol.

What is this "Spring Break"?

I see what you did there.

Render%20-%20I%20See%20What%20You%20Did%20There%20Troll%20Face%20%20BaixeRenders.png

I've taken 4 exams in the past week and a half and they were all pretty much the same score (except one that was 3 points lower). I'm not improving, but I'm at where I want to be and haven't been doing worse.

Ah, I'm ready to get it over with :)

After have taken four- five KP FLs I finally took the AAMC FL #3. Got a 23...9/6/8... Guess which one's the 6?:(

Last edited:
Ugh really slacked off.

Hit the books hard in January. Barely touched them in February thanks to life and my job. Haven't started Ochem yet or any VR practice. Took AAMC 4 and scored 8/9/8 - 25.

Missed tons of easy discretes in PS from forgetting very simple stuff but the passages were relatively easy compared to TBR. Lost lots of points on Ochem in BS. Good news is finished PS with 15 minutes to spare, verbal right on time, and BS with 20 minutes to spare--but was so tired from taking my first FL and eager to see my score I didn't even check over any answers lol.

AAMC 3 pre content review was 6/9/6 - 21 and way over time on each section. So I'm happy with the little jump in score on #4 and very efficient timing but definitely not where I want to be 1 month out.

I rescheduled for May 8th to make up for my missed month of studying. No excuses this time.

Test is very doable. GL to everyone on the 5th!!!!!!

After have taken four- five KP FLs I finally took the AAMC FL #3. Got a 23...9/6/8... Guess which one's the 6?:(

Okay. After reviewing VR, I know I can do much better (at least an 8); I was bad on timing today, b/c I woke up later than I planned to take this test, and I was supposed to leave for work, so I was really time conscientious....I didn't focus as on the passage as I should have, so I spent more time on the passage...think I'll just read and highlight...writing takes too much time for VR... I read through each passage after reviewing, timed myself, and it didn't take me as long to read as it initially did, and I had a better sense of the answers, too. I practically guessed on the last passg. b/c of time....I think I got 20/40...so I'm just going to do a VR every day until April and continue to review for PS and BS....physics, haha, I missed about 1/pssg w/ the exception of one passage where I missed about 3...and missed 2-4 discretes total....
BS...well, I'm still reviewing BS, so it could improve, but PS has been around 9/10 compared with the kaplan FLs.
I can do this, and you guys can too! GL :)

Thanks! I think I'll use this...
In terms of VR, just took aamc 4 VR...the score is even lower than my aamc 3,:mad:..I did guess on the last one BC of time, but I missed at least half on each...idk what to do besides doing passages on MCAT 101... looks like prayer is the only thing that will help me now. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
In terms of VR, just took aamc 4 VR...the score is even lower than my aamc 3,:mad:..I did guess on the last one BC of time, but I missed at least half on each...idk what to do besides doing passages on MCAT 101... looks like prayer is the only thing that will help me now. :(

Stop thinking. Once I stopped thinking, I started to do better on the VR part. Don't overthink. The answer will always be in the passage, just learn how to find it...all this coming from someone who scored a 5 on their first practice VR lol.

Stop thinking. Once I stopped thinking, I started to do better on the VR part. Don't overthink. The answer will always be in the passage, just learn how to find it...all this coming from someone who scored a 5 on their first practice VR lol.
Okay, I'll try that...but I've been getting around that same score, and I do't really feel ready, only b/c of verbal. I've done AAMC 3,4, and 5 VR ....never hit beyond that 6, so I think I'll just push my date back and do as much MCAT 101 stuff as possible.

Last edited:
If you can't get beyond 6 after 3 AAMC attempts, you should definitely push the MCAT back. Join me in the April 24 group lol. I've heard mixed things about the MCAT 101 verbal book. Personally, I've been using the TPRH verbal book, and while only having taken AAMC 3, can confirm that the two are similar.

Thanks for the advice. Haha I would have , but I can't miss class, so I rescheduled for May 17; I'll be done with exams and physics and biochem , and I'll have a little under 2 weeks to do more tests. Plus ill be back in my home state, taking it the same day/place with my friend who attends the same out of state college as me. Then I'll send my apps for TMDAS and work on AAMCs. I think I'll buy TPRbooks...maybe that will help. :)

For the AAMC tests I found scanning the questions before reading the passage to be very useful. The scan should take about 20-30 seconds and only do it to question stems that are no longer than 2 lines in length otherwise you wont be able to remember it all.

By scanning the questions I am able to

1. See what the passage is about in general before reading, allowing me to prepare for the passage.
2. It allows me to be on the lookout for certain things that were in the question stems.
3. Allows me to ignore anything I didn't understand if it wasn't related to any questions

Before reading the question stems I would often read through a whole passage trying to remember everything and anything (because it might end up in the questions) and by the end of the passage ask myself wtf did I just read. I would often have to go back to the passage to answer the questions, which caused me to become even more confused in some cases.

After reading question stems, my reading style changes without me even realizing it. I pick up on important details and ideas and by the end of the passage, I have a general understanding of what is going on and can answer most if not all the questions without referring back to the passage.

I am not a verbal master, but I found this strategy helpful for anyone who is in the 6-8 ranges trying to score in the 9-10 range.

As for increasing the score try doing this:
Take 120-150 minutes a day to do 3-4 passages and review them.
Example: put 24-32 minutes on a timer and do 3-4 passages (I.E split a verbal test into 2 separate tests of 3 passages and 4 passages respectively). After completion of the 3 passages do not go to the answer sheet instead go back to the first passage and read it out loud, then go to the questions and answer them again seeing if you had a change in heart form your previous answer choice, if so document why you had the change of heart and what makes the new answer better and what makes your old answer incomplete/flawed. If you stick with your answer try and justify why it is the correct answer and for each of the wrong answer choices give a reason to why they are wrong. Do this for the other 2 passages this should take up roughly 90 minutes (24 minutes for the exam, 20-25 minutes to go over each passage). Once you have done this then go to the answer sheet and see how your logic held up taking up the last 3o minutes.

It is important in my opinion to do this right when you wake up, because it allows you to make no excuses later in the day to why you cant go over verbal. Many people hate verbal review because they feel like they are getting nothing out of it and as a result put a lot of time and effort into PS/BS and are exhausted when it comes to reviewing verbal for that day. This leads to poor results and procrastination in studying verbal.

use this same strategy for reviewing FL verbal AAMC's, after you get your score, go back to the verbal test (untimed) and do it again before looking at the answers. This allows you to not tell yourself "you just made stupid mistakes and you will score better next time"

EK101 is free on the internet if you type in EK101 verbal PDF (first one that pops up) so you don't have to pay for it and its great practice and very representative of both length and difficulty of the actual test.

Hey all, this is my first post on SDN and I am planning on taking the MCAT on the 5th of April. My current scores have been...

Kaplan FL 1 11 8 13 (32)
Kaplan FL 2 13 10 12 (35)
Kaplan FL 3 13 12 12 (37)
Kaplan FL 4 11 9 13 (33)
AAMC 3 13 12 11 (36)

I plan on finishing the AAMC (4-11) and Kaplan (5-11) by this month. I was wondering if anyone else was following a similar schedule as me and had tips on verbal (specifically squeezing out those extra 3-4 right answers.

Also, I know this question has been asked so many times but how accurate are Kaplan FL to the real thing? IMO, the kaplan sciences are trickier but provide a more generous curve. In my experience with AAMC 3, the sciences were easier; however the curve was extremely harsh. I think I missed 2 on PS and got a 13.

Also should I go ahead and purchase TBR FL for extra review?

Word of Advice don't do Kaplan FL 7-11 they are very hard and absolute confidence destroyers. I scored an average of 33 on my Kaplan AAMC 1-6 and on 8 I scored at 26, total confidence destroyer. I recommend doing the section tests after you complete all the AAMC's/Kaplan FL 5-6

Word of Advice don't do Kaplan FL 7-11 they are very hard and absolute confidence destroyers. I scored an average of 33 on my Kaplan AAMC 1-6 and on 8 I scored at 26, total confidence destroyer. I recommend doing the section tests after you complete all the AAMC's/Kaplan FL 5-6

I feel like if they're that hard, it would be important to do them just to be prepared for the worst (I hear the real thing is also a confidence destroyer) IMO I think you should take the most difficult ones, but for the sake of confidence, don't even worry about scoring it at all Just do a serious post-game review of all mistakes and it'll do nothing but make you even better and more prepared.

I feel like if they're that hard, it would be important to do them just to be prepared for the worst (I hear the real thing is also a confidence destroyer) IMO I think you should take the most difficult ones, but for the sake of confidence, don't even worry about scoring it at all Just do a serious post-game review of all mistakes and it'll do nothing but make you even better and more prepared.

Let me rephrase that, id do them only after I did Kaplan FL 1-6, all the AAMC/ self assessment, and Kaplan section test. I agree hard practice does result in being ready for anything the AAMC throws at you, but if im scoring in the mid 30's I would hate to do Kaplan test 11 a week before my MCAT and score in the 20's.

Let me rephrase that, id do them only after I did Kaplan FL 1-6, all the AAMC/ self assessment, and Kaplan section test. I agree hard practice does result in being ready for anything the AAMC throws at you, but if im scoring in the mid 30's I would hate to do Kaplan test 11 a week before my MCAT and score in the 20's.

That's why I suggested not even scoring it, but just post gaming the missed questions. If you're consistently scoring in the mid 30's on AAMC, thats most likely what you are going to get on the real thing so your score on the Kaplan FL's is completely useless

Tried 4 timed TPR passages today... still doesn't feel like the AAMCs. Anyone else score different on Kaplan & AAMC vs. TPR & EK?

3 weeks, guys! Here's where you dig in!

I managed to get this stint off from work. So, I'll be incommunicado until Show Time (3 full-lengths per week? Can I get a hollar?!). Just wanted to check in and say good luck to everyone :D

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. I rescheduled for May 17th b/c I don't feel ready, especially since VB is no where near it needs to be. Still applying this cycle, but I'll be taking it after the semester is over. Using Chads videos to supplement my content reviee along with some EK 101 practice problems, since I haven't done much practice. Good luck, everyone!

Last edited:
Kaplan VR is misleading... Fluctuated for me a bit, but avg. Was an 8 or so....then I took an AAMC verbal...dropped way down. KP is too nice about the curve...
AAMC is a bit easier to follow but you can't miss as much as you could on KP..that's my experience.

Was it as horrendous as it is fabled to be?

I took it in Aug 2013 but voided because I wasnt around my target score of a 35. It was EXACTLY like the AAMC practice exams. However, a friend of mine, who is also retaking, says her BS section was nothing like she had ever seen before (she took hers in July 2013.)

Anyone do AAMC Fl #8 yet? Anyone else think passage 6 in PS was ridiculous in terms of numbers (i.e. really difficult numbers to compute)? I hope that that isn't very indicative of the MCAT we take.

Anyone do AAMC Fl #8 yet? Anyone else think passage 6 in PS was ridiculous in terms of numbers (i.e. really difficult numbers to compute)? I hope that that isn't very indicative of the MCAT we take.

That whole exam was whack, from some of the threads I've been reading it looks like one of the harder exams. I took PS and BS two days ago and barely scored what I've been averaging. The whole exam was like one big verbal section

That whole exam was whack, from some of the threads I've been reading it looks like one of the harder exams. I took PS and BS two days ago and barely scored what I've been averaging. The whole exam was like one big verbal section

Agreed. I was not at all confident about the PS section after it was done, and I thought VR went ok. Ended up that PS and BS scored fine, and VR absolutely dominated me. Wow, what surprise my VR score was.

Need some advice here:
2.5 weeks out from this MCAT and my scores are 24 (8 in each section, with VR occasionally at 9). Against my better judgment, I opened a small business in January right as I began my studying. Not surprisingly, this took away about 2.5 months of studying. The question:
Should I accept defeat this close to the test (my 1st one) and manage some refund for it rather than risk having a terrible score on my record OR is it more favorable to take it, even with a poor score and even if I don't apply this cycle?
I've had some mixed reviews from friends in med school about it and would like to know if you guys have any advice.

I say, if you don't feel ready, don't waste your money. You could do well, you never know, but you could always take it another time, even during the summer. I pushed mine back to May b/c with school and my practice scores being sub par, as well as secretly stressing out with a whole list of other things, MCAT included, I'm taking it after my classes are over, but I'm still applying to this next cycle. I have hope. Whatever you decide, do whatever makes you least stressed in the end. I know a good number of people who pushed their test date back, so good luck with whatever you decide! If you're not applying this cycle, you can always take the MCAT later, before they switch to the new one, and I'm sure you'll be even more prepared!
But what do I know? I'm just a junior in college...my 2 cents :)
PS. You're from Texas, I forgot! Even better, haha. Well, good luck!

Need some advice here:
2.5 weeks out from this MCAT and my scores are 24 (8 in each section, with VR occasionally at 9). Against my better judgment, I opened a small business in January right as I began my studying. Not surprisingly, this took away about 2.5 months of studying. The question:
Should I accept defeat this close to the test (my 1st one) and manage some refund for it rather than risk having a terrible score on my record OR is it more favorable to take it, even with a poor score and even if I don't apply this cycle?
I've had some mixed reviews from friends in med school about it and would like to know if you guys have any advice.

I would say that do not, under any circumstances, just "take the test". This is one of the few instances that you have full control over how an exam goes down. By no means is it "accepting defeat" to reschedule for a time in which you will be more prepared.

I've had to kick back my exam several times (once due to ill-preparedness (I also work full-time and a half), and a couple of times more due to my father's deteriorating health). Did it feel sh'itty at the time? Sure! But when I look back, it was the best move I could have made. I was testing in the mid- to upper-20's range before my last cancellation. Thanks to my dad's emergency open-heart surgery (I'm being glib... kind of), I'm now going into this exam with AAMC practice exams in the mid-30s.

Your will to want to take the exam, knowing that you won't do as well as you could, is driven only from pride. But, I'll be completely honest with you: there is absolutely no room for that sentiment in this game. Your pride doesn't simply take the backseat.... it's strapped to the roof rack.... with an old bungee cord that has lost its elasticity... and it's dangerously close to flying off while you're on the freeway.

My point is: do it once; do it right. You'll be happy you did. Good luck with your entrepreneurship!

Thank you for the advice! This business is not a passion of mine by any means, I might add. Family friends offered me a generous loan and opportunity with this business after seeing me miserableand struggling working 50+ hours a week for minimum wage at a clinic that I hated. Anyway, it may not have been the best move, but has taught me a lot about myself and I will never put medical school on a back burner for money/temporary happiness ever again. Good luck to you all on the upcoming exam. I'll continue studying and take this monster with all that I have in the fall or January.

Nearly two weeks away!!! We're so quiet in this thread -- I like to think it's because we're so composed ;)

What's on the docket for you guys this weekend? Today, I'm taking my third of 9 practice exams before Show Time; this weekend is ALLLLL dedicated to orgo. Tryin' to bang out 300-400 questions (I will NOT submit to orgo on test day. Freaking refuse.).

Hey Guys, does anyone else think that Kaplan FL 8 was tough. I took FL 7 and got a 38 and FL 10 and got at 37. I got slaughtered on FL 8 and got a 28...

Also, just a heads up, if you guys have some extra time take a GS FL. I thought it mimicked the AAMC style very good. I took the free GS FL 1 and got a 31 (12 8 11) and felt its passages and weirdness were on pace with the actual MCAT. I think the GS test was good because its question stems were extremely tricky (more so than other tests).

On another note, has anyone taken Kaplan FL 10 that was confused by number 16?

It says that when ice melts the water level increases, and that when ice freezes the water level decreases (WTF??).

I have always learned that ice is less dense than water. Therefore when it melts it displaces exactly the same volume of water, hence the water level remains the SAME. Looking for some advice thanks!

I just saw this. Yeah I got wrecked on Kaplan FL 8 as well. Ended up with a 28

Nearly two weeks away!!! We're so quiet in this thread -- I like to think it's because we're so composed ;)

What's on the docket for you guys this weekend? Today, I'm taking my third of 9 practice exams before Show Time; this weekend is ALLLLL dedicated to orgo. Tryin' to bang out 300-400 questions (I will NOT submit to orgo on test day. Freaking refuse.).

Hey Blondie,

How do you recommend tackling Orgo. I did all the content review, and all the Kaplan questions/topicals. But I feel that I don't remember a single reaction lol. Think its worth memorizing basic reaction structures/patterns and a few key reactions? Or take pen to paper and start writing and memorizing as many as possible at this point?

Thanks!

Exactly what I am doing. ALL orgo. Do you have TBR CBTs? I was thinking about purchasing those, only have money for three and didn't know which three to do.

Exactly what I am doing. ALL orgo. Do you have TBR CBTs? I was thinking about purchasing those, only have money for three and didn't know which three to do.

I thought I read somewhere that you have to buy them sequentially.... but I'm not sure. If that's the case, I've only done 1-3 (thus far) and, frankly, I think they're all pretty awesome -- challenging and pertinent. I have an aversion to the TBR verbal sections because I just don't think that the question schema they've developed is reflective of the MCAT. But, the sciences sections are clutch.

Hey Blondie,

How do you recommend tackling Orgo. I did all the content review, and all the Kaplan questions/topicals. But I feel that I don't remember a single reaction lol. Think its worth memorizing basic reaction structures/patterns and a few key reactions? Or take pen to paper and start writing and memorizing as many as possible at this point?

Thanks!

It may depend on how you learn. However, in my experience, content review and flashcards only got me to the high 20s; practice (a ton of practice) got me to the mid-30s. It may be different for you, though. My goal is to finish 800 orgo question by next week.... 100 down so far! :)

It may depend on how you learn. However, in my experience, content review and flashcards only got me to the high 20s; practice (a ton of practice) got me to the mid-30s. It may be different for you, though. My goal is to finish 800 orgo question by next week.... 100 down so far! :)

That's pretty impressive. I'd love to do that except it takes me a while to go over passages, as I take notes and try to see where I went wrong. Maybe I should speed up a little.

Do you do anything to keep old subjects fresh in between tackling one subject?