The Official April 5th, 2014 MCAT Thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BeachBlondie

Put some tussin on it!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
139 days!

You know, for a couple of weeks I thought I would just not subscribe to any particular SDN MCAT thread. Figured it wasn't necessary. But, frankly, knowing that there are other people out there--pissed about not remembering values for logs, and trying to sort out where epinephrine is secreted from ("Was that the adrenal cortex... or adrenal medulla?")--makes this slog towards test date bearable :)

Best of luck, fellow lost souls!

(P.S...... it's from the medulla ;) )

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I had TERRIBLE insomnia last night. Rolled around in bed til 7am, decided I wasn't gonna sleep anytime soon so I went ahead and took AAMC 11 anyways. Didn't do too bad considering I had no sleep at all. However, it could have been slightly inflated as I've already taken it once last year.. I don't know how I feel about myself right now.. I'm nervous, but ready, but not ready.

".. I'm nervous, but ready, but not ready.

My sentiments EXACTLY! I feel as prepared as I could have been, and yet there is this overwhelming sensation that I could have spent another YEAR perfecting the craft of owning this test.

Members don't see this ad :)
Same. I feel I'm as prepared as I ever will be. But only now am I starting to get a bit nervous now that there are only a couple more HOURS of studying for this one test that I've probably studied close to 500 hours for. CRAZY!

We got this! I just hope PS isn't as calculation heavy. I mean they're not particularly difficult, but it eats sooooo much time. I usually finish with 5 to 10 minutes to spare but with AAMC 11, I had to literally pick a random answer for 4 questions, and that's on top of picking other convoluted answers derived from semi convoluted passages. Anyone else had trouble with it this section?

This is what I did today, what I plan to do tomorrow, and what I am going to do the morning of the test. The greatest clarity arises from simple pleasures...

What are your hobbies, SDN?

(And for those of you wondering, I'm on a 46" Mäki Ambassador, with Carver trucks. And the dual swivel trucks make it impossible to stand on one foot.... so I'm stoked that this shot was taken!)

NDsJpHV.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Good luck everyone! Get some good rest and stay stress free. I'm sure those of you that have been prepping diligently will do well. :cool:

So...did anybody feel like that Bio section was extremely difficult?
I was of course expecting that one section would be harder than the others (I thought PS, VR was relatively straightforward), but not to this extent.

That bio section was intense. There is definitely no other practice material that even comes close. BS on AAMC 10 and 11 were a joke compared to that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone who felt comfortable with BS care to discuss which study materials they used? I've recently switched to TPR from EK cause I don't feel like EK provides enough background information

Anyone who felt comfortable with BS care to discuss which study materials they used? I've recently switched to TPR from EK cause I don't feel like EK provides enough background information
I don't think any prep book would have covered what was on the BS today.

I don't know why I read these threads... it only makes me concerned about my bio section, haha. Sounds brutal. Anyone here use this TPR bio book and still feel unprepared?
510T2mONQHL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Anyone tried Kaplan Bio passages and care to comment on the similarity with the MCAT you guys saw today?

@inasensegone - yep. I didn't honestly give it fair use, though, as I was getting great bio practice scores. But really it was the O-chem on that section that was worst.

Thanks for the feedback australopithekus! I was worried about falling into a sense of false security as well about my bio scores. Looks like I have 6 days to sponge up some serious info! Haha, I hope you all receive excellent scores 30 days from now :)

they were logic questions disguised as bio questions. You could have solved them without background knowledge but the lack of background would've definitely made it hard to know where/if to start your reasoning. I fumbled around for ~20 minutes before I realized what was going on and was then able to finish the test with a few minutes to spare. My bio background is bs biochem and graduate level immuno though...

they were logic questions disguised as bio questions. You could have solved them without background knowledge but the lack of background would've definitely made it hard to know where/if to start your reasoning. I fumbled around for ~20 minutes before I realized what was going on and was then able to finish the test with a few minutes to spare. My bio background is bs biochem and graduate level immuno though...

Holy balls. Lol.

My bio background was a community college bio course... I got this... hold my beer. :hurting:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
That hurt.

So much for the rumours that Ochem is getting phased out!

If AAMC isn't good enough practice, what is? Straight up reading Nature or what?

Who said O-chem was getting phased out? If anything, its getting condensed into the biochem trial section i took

@nctw, yes, but not thoroughly. Like I said, my practice test bio scores were great (consistently 13-15) and organic chem is supposed to only be about 8% of the exam, so I focused on my problem areas (verbal, primarily).

@getsome111 sure, many were. But many were not, and a few very specific concepts had multiple knowledge-requiring questions asked.

Awesome... thanks for the confidence boost... lol ;)

My friend who took it in January isn't even a science major and scored an 11 on the BS...he also scored a 12 on VR so I don't think it's as much of how well you know bio as much as it is reading comprehension

@Australopithekus - definitely agree on some of the specific knowledge questions, I'm curious to see what the curve looks like. How did you feel about verbal? thats where I spent most of my time studying.. the beginning felt rough

Im really curious as to how mcaters who prepared w/ Kaplan felt about this exam.. esp bio!

@getsome - It was my weakest area in the practice exams and I put a pretty good amount of verbal practice in over the last month. I thought the first passage was rough, but the rest were easy. That said, I always miss some questions I thought I got correct in the VR.

I just talked to my friend that I've been studying with this semester and he said the bio was pretty rough but the exam as a whole was actually easier than a lot of the AAMC tests, that it just seemed longer and more difficult to finish on time

Reactions: 2 users
Sooo...... the server went out at my testing center RIGHT as I was scanning my fingerprints. I felt SO bad for the people in the middle of their PS -- literally, their screens went black. Luckily, everything was up and running an hour and a half later. Spent my downtime trying to make the other test takers laugh.... everyone looked like they were going to puke in preparation for taking this thing *chuckle*

I agree with the test takers here: bio was difficult. But, I also think that aspects of verbal were a bit tougher than what I've come across. PS--from what I can recall was, more or less, straight forward.

One thing I'd like to make clear to prospective test takers--while honoring my AAMC agreement (the language of which is kind of ominous, actually!)--is that you need to practice speed AND accuracy. I would normally have 10+ minutes left when finishing practice exams. Today, I had to HUSTLE for a mere 5 minutes per section. Wasn't really able to review some of my marked questions.

The strangest part of all of this is that I would guess my range to be (literally) anywhere from a 25 to 35. I felt prepared with content, but ill equipped for execution.

Reactions: 5 users
Sooo...... the server went out at my testing center RIGHT as I was scanning my fingerprints. I felt SO bad for the people in the middle of their PS -- literally, their screens went black. Luckily, everything was up and running an hour and a half later. Spent my downtime trying to make the other test takers laugh.... everyone looked like they were going to puke in preparation for taking this thing *chuckle*

I agree with the test takers here: bio was difficult. But, I also think that aspects of verbal were a bit tougher than what I've come across. PS--from what I can recall was, more or less, straight forward.

One thing I'd like to make clear to prospective test takers--while honoring my AAMC agreement (the language of which is kind of ominous, actually!)--is that you need to practice speed AND accuracy. I would normally have 10+ minutes left when finishing practice exams. Today, I had to HUSTLE for a mere 5 minutes per section. Wasn't really able to review some of my marked questions.

The strangest part of all of this is that I would guess my range to be (literally) anywhere from a 25 to 35. I felt prepared with content, but ill equipped for execution.

I'm surprised no one snapped and went postal when the server died. I'm pretty sure if that happened to me, it would have turned into a hostage situation. Lol damn you MCAT.

I'm surprised no one snapped and went postal when the server died. I'm pretty sure if that happened to me, it would have turned into a hostage situation. Lol damn you MCAT.

I only had a door separating me from the testing room. But, I could see everyone through the large Plexiglass window, heads down, barreling through it. Then, all of a sudden, synchronized hands shot up...

The proctors started panicking and there were several staff members on the phone with the AAMC. Crazy.

Oh! Bonus: my highlighter tool wasn't working properly.

This is what I did today, what I plan to do tomorrow, and what I am going to do the morning of the test. The greatest clarity arises from simple pleasures...

What are your hobbies, SDN?

(And for those of you wondering, I'm on a 46" Mäki Ambassador, with Carver trucks. And the dual swivel trucks make it impossible to stand on one foot.... so I'm stoked that this shot was taken!)

NDsJpHV.jpg

Hobbies? Brazilian Jiu-jitsu, building guitars, running, and studying (of course!)

I only had a door separating me from the testing room. But, I could see everyone through the large Plexiglass window, heads down, barreling through it. Then, all of a sudden, synchronized hands shot up...

The proctors started panicking and there were several staff members on the phone with the AAMC. Crazy.

Oh! Bonus: my highlighter tool wasn't working properly.

I wonder if they basically got boned... Do you know if they had to reschedule? That seriously sucks.

Didn't take their course. I used their online resources though and the Kaplan FL's as well as the topical tests. Good luck!

Thanks a lot for your reply. Do you think kaplan didnt prepare you enough? I heard from recent MCATers that BS on Kaplan FLs are similar to recent MCATs, maybe thats another myth lol

What would you suggest ?

Easiest to Hardest
Verbal>Physics>Biology

Physics got stuck on some questions...(without breaking any rules..there was one really easy Calculus based one) that through me off track that i knew i had thought took a breath and would have spent less time on. I did the prompts out of order
Verbal..1st passage tripped me up a little (but decided to complete it last) so all was not as bad (tried to use TPR technique of process of elimination but hopefully

Biology...ugh!

Average combo of different test: lowest 21 highest 33
Looking for just a 25 to solidify by hard work...