The Official August 15, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

axa5780

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'am signed up for this date. I didn't find a thread for August 15th, so here it is. Let's make this a fun experience, and hope we all come out the other end satisfied with our score.

Materials:
PS: BR Physics, NOVA Physics, BR Chemistry, EK 1001 Chem & Phys
BS: EK Biology, BR Biology, EK 1001 Biol
Verbal: EK 101, TPR Verbal

Extras: TPRH SW, WIkiPremed Flashcards & videos. All AAMC FL plus all Kaplan FL.

Lets do this.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,

So I have been lurking on this thread for months now and I'm torn. On my practice exams, I got 35-38, mainly 36. But on my actual test, I got 33.,11-11-11. I'm trying to figure out what to do. I have a 3.83 GPA and a science of 3.79 from a prestigious University known for grade deflation.
Part of me wants to retake the test for my own personal vendetta, but at the same time, I don't want to go through the stress of it again, especially if it will actually hurt me when I apply.
I am trying to get into a school in California but any MD program would be great.

I'd love to hear feedback on what you guys think would be my best option.

Hi,

So I have been lurking on this thread for months now and I'm torn. On my practice exams, I got 35-38, mainly 36. But on my actual test, I got 33.,11-11-11. I'm trying to figure out what to do. I have a 3.83 GPA and a science of 3.79 from a prestigious University known for grade deflation.
Part of me wants to retake the test for my own personal vendetta, but at the same time, I don't want to go through the stress of it again, especially if it will actually hurt me when I apply.
I am trying to get into a school in California but any MD program would be great.

I'd love to hear feedback on what you guys think would be my best option.

Personally if I got a 33, I would be happy with that and move on with my life.

Reactions: 2 users
Test Date: 08/15/2014
Time: 8:00 AM
FL AAMC Average: 35.5 (range 33-41)
Post-test expected score: 30-36
Actual Score: (PS/V/BS): 32 (12/09/11)

Been lurking this thread so thought I would post. Was definitely shocked because I thought PS was ridiculous and verbal and BS weren't that hard. Guess I thought wrong...what's up with the verbal from this test? It's amazing how much different a 9 feels from a 10.

Question: should I retake? I feel like I am right on the edge for more competitive programs. Background: post-grad doing bio-medical research at ivy university, 4.0GPA, volunteering at hospital, will have two publications (one second author) in chemistry this fall. Loads of TA experience and will have about 5 years of research experience before I matriculate. Planning to apply next summer but wanted to take the MCAT before it changes into a new monster.

Anybody have any advice? Would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been lurking for a while so I thought I would add my stats to the pile
FL AAMC Average: 34-35ish? tbh I never actually sat down and took a full-length. I am incredibly irresponsible and studied for ~3 weeks and only did 3 AAMCs, and never straight through, just one section at a time
Post-test expected score: 25-30? I honestly had no idea, the PS really threw me for a loop (like ????) and I ran out of time to properly check my answers, but I had 15 minutes left in both V and BS to check my work
Actual Score: (PS/V/BS): 35 (11/12/12)

My face when I saw it :heckyeah: I was reasonably sure my score would be sub 30, mostly because of my haphazard studying methods (passages with the food network in the background) and the fact that I waited until pretty much the last minute to start studying (did all my content review + practice in those 3 weeks, didn't ever actually practice techniques for verbal besides doing 3 AAMC verbal sections). I'm just incredibly glad I don't have to retake - my trial section was biochem and what I saw scared the crap out of me

I hate to post again but please y'all I need your insight!

Got a 30 (9,9,12) on the 8 am 8/15 exam
AAMC avg a 34
I'm in a 7 year accel med program that couples UT Austin with either UTSW or UT Houston. I'm a sophomore currently. I need a 30 for both of these schools as part of the requirements.

I wanted to apply out to Baylor but my mcat score isn't good enough.. I currently have a 3.98 GPA.

Should I retake the mcat and apply out or stick with what I have? And if I should retake, when?

AAMC avg a 34
I'm in a 7 year accel med program that couples UT Austin with either UTSW or UT Houston. I'm a sophomore currently. I need a 30 for both of these schools as part of the requirements.

I wanted to apply out to Baylor but my mcat score isn't good enough.. I currently have a 3.98 GPA.

Should I retake the mcat and apply out or stick with what I have? And if I should retake, when?

Dude, if you have nothing to lose from taking this exam (ex - if you get a lower score on this next try, will it negatively impact your admissions into UTSW or UTH? Or is it already guaranteed admission since you have already received a 30?) - then retake it. Waste of money and time, though, in my opinion, because you are already guaranteed admission into two of the best medical schools in Texas.

I've been lurking for a while so I thought I would add my stats to the pile
FL AAMC Average: 34-35ish? tbh I never actually sat down and took a full-length. I am incredibly irresponsible and studied for ~3 weeks and only did 3 AAMCs, and never straight through, just one section at a time
Post-test expected score: 25-30? I honestly had no idea, the PS really threw me for a loop (like ????) and I ran out of time to properly check my answers, but I had 15 minutes left in both V and BS to check my work
Actual Score: (PS/V/BS): 35 (11/12/12)

My face when I saw it :heckyeah: I was reasonably sure my score would be sub 30, mostly because of my haphazard studying methods (passages with the food network in the background) and the fact that I waited until pretty much the last minute to start studying (did all my content review + practice in those 3 weeks, didn't ever actually practice techniques for verbal besides doing 3 AAMC verbal sections). I'm just incredibly glad I don't have to retake - my trial section was biochem and what I saw scared the crap out of me

Lend me your brain plz. I would like to study for only 3 weeks and get a bombtastic score like yours.

Reactions: 1 users

AAMC avg a 34

+pity+So sad...

Reactions: 5 users
I have an extensive array of MCAT books if anyone still needs some message me. Here's a pic of my stash.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 111
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 113
Members don't see this ad :)
Dude, if you have nothing to lose from taking this exam (ex - if you get a lower score on this next try, will it negatively impact your admissions into UTSW or UTH? Or is it already guaranteed admission since you have already received a 30?) - then retake it. Waste of money and time, though, in my opinion, because you are already guaranteed admission into two of the best medical schools in Texas.

The second score if lower would probably negatively impact my score but I think you're right. Unless they say my score isn't an "even" split (since the 12 is a bit apart from the 9s), I'll just stick with what I have. Thanks!

I think you're a little bit hard on yourself, remember its just a test, nothing more it doesn't indicate the kind of doctor you'll be. We are almost in the same shoes..Chemical Engineering major, 27 MCAT. i studied for this for almost a year, kinda disappointed with my score but there was a vast improvement in BS from 6 to 10. i'm confident i'll get admitted someplace. I tuned down a job offer in top 7 energy company hopefully i'm not making a big mistake.

just work and study.
thats what i am doing.

dont just do nothing and study for mcat.
just work full time and study during nights and weekends.

But i know its hard studying with a competitive jobs..
I sometimes come home at 9pm (leave everyday at 6:00am) so it feels like you're dying.
But you have got this!

Really hope you're joking. If your parents would make you feel bad for your score, I suggest seeing a therapist. Parents need to always be supportive and proud of your accomplishments. Good news is, you have a lot of room to improve and it seems like you're taking a less-than-hoped-for score in good stride. GL to you.

Unfortunately, it is the truth. I live in SoCal , so finding a place to live will be quite the challenge. My parents just want me to succeed, to them this is the only way to motivate me. Personally for me, I just want to get in med school and then get the hell on with my life. I have shadowed a good number of doctors and do not care for what specialty I get into it.

I will reach the other side, whether it be this year or the next.

Any 8/15 survivors have any last advice to those taking the MCAT tomorrow?

Woke up at 4 am for my 8 am exam and jogged for 45 min. Never tried that before a test but it really cleared my mind and I felt refreshed going into the exam. Bring a jacket, or at least wear long-sleeves because it gets cold in there. As far as after the exam, I worried a TON about how I did for the entire month. To keep yourself sane in the later months, maybe right after the exam give yourself an honest prediction that's not too modest and not too dreamy and just stick with it for the entire month. The month of waiting really sucks, but you have your test date's thread as your support group and feel free to just vent when you think you have the need to. Best of luck to you!

Woke up at 4 am for my 8 am exam and jogged for 45 min. Never tried that before a test but it really cleared my mind and I felt refreshed going into the exam. Bring a jacket, or at least wear long-sleeves because it gets cold in there. As far as after the exam, I worried a TON about how I did for the entire month. To keep yourself sane in the later months, maybe right after the exam give yourself an honest prediction that's not too modest and not too dreamy and just stick with it for the entire month. The month of waiting really sucks, but you have your test date's thread as your support group and feel free to just vent when you think you have the need to. Best of luck to you!

Aren't you not allowed to take off a sweater inside the testing room?

Aren't you not allowed to take off a sweater inside the testing room?
Yeah, but if you bring layers, you can change things up during breaks. If you don't, you're SOL, even if you're shivering. Plus, if you've got a zip-up sweatshirt on, you can change your temp without removing it.

Yeah, but if you bring layers, you can change things up during breaks. If you don't, you're SOL, even if you're shivering. Plus, if you've got a zip-up sweatshirt on, you can change your temp without removing it.

Lol okay so they don't enforce the amount you zip-it-up.

If they are so worried about people hiding things in their sweatshirt, they should ban zip-ups. It seems even easier to hide stuff in that.

Unfortunately, it is the truth. I live in SoCal , so finding a place to live will be quite the challenge. My parents just want me to succeed, to them this is the only way to motivate me. Personally for me, I just want to get in med school and then get the hell on with my life. I have shadowed a good number of doctors and do not care for what specialty I get into it.

I will reach the other side, whether it be this year or the next.

i would have a talk with them before a retake, and tell them that the pressure they're putting on you is counterproductive to your success. there are other ways to motivate you, and they shouldn't even have to - you should want this enough for yourself that their opinion is indifferent (not saying it is, but you should tell them that). if you don't handle this type of controlling dominating relationship now, they're only going to repeat it again when you get married or take the boards or whatever. you can't live your life on their timeline and expectations - especially if you're not a child in their house anymore...

Lol okay so they don't enforce the amount you zip-it-up.

If they are so worried about people hiding things in their sweatshirt, they should ban zip-ups. It seems even easier to hide stuff in that.
They pat you down and make you roll up your sleeves and turn every pocket inside out. Then they use a metal detector wand. That being said, it's all academic because there are about 8 different ways you could probably succeed in cheating if you were so inclined and willing to take that phenomenally high risk instead of just studying. It's really just there to discourage casual cheating, imo.

Hey guys I am a long time lurker, but I would love to have some advice. My averages of the FL was 33, and when I got my score it was a 27... ( 9 Ps/ 9 VS/ 9 Bs)..Needless to say, I am still in shock as I my diagnostic before even content review was a 28 and I have never scored a 9 in PS and BS in all the practice exams I took. does anyone have any advice what to do now? To prepare, I did the SN2 schedule with TBR, and I did all the AAAMC FL, along with all ten Gold Standard exams. Any advice? I am thinking of getting the Princeton self paced online course...

Officially signed up for the October 25th exam.....not looking forward to the marathon of studying ahead of me, and having to balance taking classes at the same time

I took the self paced TPR, found that it gave me a lot of structure over the summer. However, with my 28 this test, whether it be due to choking or just a poor outing, whatever..I did not like their physics professor. I didn't click or something and found it difficult to stay tuned. That and the questions associated with each lecture were much harder than what was taught.. excuse my whining, guys.

Hey guys I am a long time lurker, but I would love to have some advice. My averages of the FL was 33, and when I got my score it was a 27... ( 9 Ps/ 9 VS/ 9 Bs)..Needless to say, I am still in shock as I my diagnostic before even content review was a 28 and I have never scored a 9 in PS and BS in all the practice exams I took. does anyone have any advice what to do now? To prepare, I did the SN2 schedule with TBR, and I did all the AAAMC FL, along with all ten Gold Standard exams. Any advice? I am thinking of getting the Princeton self paced online course...

Did you do the aamc self assessments? If not, definitely do those. Did you take your practice aamc exams under timed, test like conditions? On the day of your test were you suffering from extreme test anxiety? Did you get enough sleep? All of those factors can impact your score. Don't worry, you will do better next time around. Lots of people retake and improve their score!

After thinking about it these past 2 days, I somewhat thought and hoped I did better. Hopefully a 31 is good enough to get into a couple of TX schools but all the medians are so high..

After thinking about it these past 2 days, I somewhat thought and hoped I did better. Hopefully a 31 is good enough to get into a couple of TX schools but all the medians are so high..

Haha, same here. The initial relief after month of extremely low expectations is gradually giving way to the thought "could i do better", "should i retake" and the like... Still haven't gotten rid of my prep books.

This was a retake for me. I originally took the exam on May 31 and had been averaging 29, then scored a 26 on the real thing (9,9,8). I was disappointed with my VR and BS scores, I think the fact that my grandpa had some major health problems the night before and ended up in the hospital pushed my nerves over the edge so I decided to retake. On my retake I felt much more calm, I completely ran out of time on PS and had to guess on a whole passage. I felt like I dominated VR and felt strong about Bio.

Time: 8 AM
FL AAMC Average: 29 (then I retook 1 before retake and got a 33)
Post-test expected score: >26
Actual Score: (9/11/10): 30

I am applying DO only so I am EXTREMELY happy with this score, 30 was my goal.

I hear ya WhatshouldIdo, I appreciate where these people are coming from, but the fact of the matter is I did not do well on this exam, I am not pleased with my score, I will not be competitive at most schools, and for the moment this is not just something that is O.K.. Really wishing I had taken the exam on almost any other day, as it definitely seems like we got the short end of the stick as far as exams go, judging from most peoples reactions.

Also I thought I remembered someone posting that they had a set of online flashcards or something like that available, does anyone remember who that was that posted that? Or does anyone themselves have the link? It wasn't one of the secondary sources for flashcards (i.e kaplan, GS, TBR, etc.), I think I remember the person saying they had like 2319 of them or some number like that

Also I thought I remembered someone posting that they had a set of online flashcards or something like that available, does anyone remember who that was that posted that? Or does anyone themselves have the link? It wasn't one of the secondary sources for flashcards (i.e kaplan, GS, TBR, etc.), I think I remember the person saying they had like 2319 of them or some number like that
Haha, that was probably me. I posted my personal Anki deck (~2800 cards). I still don't think they'd be that useful for others, because most of the benefit is from making your own, but they're floating around here somewhere. I'll try and find the link, as I don't want to make another (and the post had useful info for using them which I am too lazy to retype).
Disclaimer, though: I have not received my score yet. For all we know, they could be the cards that get me a 9!

Edit: Link is now in my sig! Also check out my Anki Central page for an overview on Anki settings if you are unfamiliar with it...that thread is open for questions!

Last edited:
for everyone who did badly on the exam: be glad you can retake. i did badly in chemistry (both physical and orgo), and it meant the difference on my AMCAS from a 3.6/7 to a 3.3/4. had i done better in chemistry alone i could have applied to medical school straight out of my undergrad and save $40k on my SMP, on top of the years. the MCAT is an exam you can retake and there are worse things to screw up. you'll be ok. find a tweak to your method. for me, i didn't retake, but having done TBR, i did all the coursesaver videos right before my exam, and seeing the material in a different format and covering minor differences, it definitely helped my score. sign up for a retake, and good luck.

Never thought I would tell someone that the word "shafted" is an understatement.
I honestly don't understand this perspective...SDN is a limited sampling of those taking the MCAT. Thus, the populations viewed on SDN for any given test day are going to behave somewhat randomly...some will be overall better than the average (in terms of scoring close to FL averages), some will be worse, most will be close. It's not personal, and on the grander scale the variation likely shrinks.

I honestly don't understand this perspective...SDN is a limited sampling of those taking the MCAT. Thus, the populations viewed on SDN for any given test day are going to behave somewhat randomly...some will be overall better than the average (in terms of scoring close to FL averages), some will be worse, most will be close. It's not personal, and on the grander scale the variation likely shrinks.

This perspective is not a global statement. Just a recognition of the general consensus within this thread and SDN. I don't know how those who are not on SDN performed on this exam and cannot comment on it. What I do know is that the majority of people who supported each other taking this test date feel as if they performed vastly lower than their averages and expected performances. In this regard, I believe "shafted" is warranted and an understatement.

I'm just glad I did not take the Aug15th exam. Cuz originally I was scheduled to take it but last minute rescheduled to Aug 27th.
That being said.. My Aug 27th exam went horrible regardless so...
I guess it wudnt have mattered whichever day I had taken the exam...
i wish I cud just find my scores now :confused:

Lol at the people in this forum!

I scored 18 (4 VR, 7 PS, 7 BS), and there are people crying about not getting above a 32! Just apply anywhere! I am pretty sure you will get in somewhere unless you are one of those who only apply to the top 20 medical schools in the country.

Good luck with your applications!

Reactions: 4 users
Time: 8 AM
FL AAMC Average: 39
Post-test expected score: no idea.
Actual Score: (PS/V/BS): 35 (12/11/12)

**** the MCAT. so much for +/-2 points from your average. So incredibly disappointed in myself. Two points lower than any practice exam (which only happened once) and only one point higher than my lowest scores in each section ever combined. At a complete loss.

AAMC FL average : 36
Actual: 35 (12/10/13)

Kinda funky verbal as I never scored below 11 on the practice tests but I'm fairly happy with my score (though would have loved a 36). I'm grateful I never have to take this test again!

AVG: 35-37
Expected: 33-38 12-14/10-11/11-13
Actual: 35 (12/10/13)

Thinking of retaking because of the mother ******* fire alarm that went off during my verbal.

Fl average 42
post test feeling ~38
8/15:35 14/11/10

SDN should I retake? I just want to get into a cali school

Feel like there's a conspiracy going on with really high scorers and getting 35's, pretty much right at the threshold of a score they would've rather gotten.

I scored 18 (4 VR, 7 PS, 7 BS), and there are people crying about not getting above a 32! Just apply anywhere! I am pretty sure you will get in somewhere unless you are one of those who only apply to the top 20 medical schools in the country.

Some people have different goals and standards of personal success that are just as valid as yours, even if they're seen as more lofty/privileged/unattainable/unexpected... so keep that in mind. Works both ways.

Where do you plan on applying? I'm nervous waiting on my scores.

Feel like there's a conspiracy going on with really high scorers and getting 35's, pretty much right at the threshold of a score they would've rather gotten.

Exactly. Would've been content with a 36 and thought pretty seriously about retaking a 34. 35 is iffy for top schools but too high to retake. :\

Exactly. Would've been content with a 36 and thought pretty seriously about retaking a 34. 35 is iffy for top schools but too high to retake. :\
35 was my cutoff as well. 34 would be a retake, 36 would make me feel alot stronger about applying to top schools. 35 is meh.

Hey guys I get my score back tommorow and this might sound like a dumb question but how does it appear right after you log in? Is the score right there or do you open another tab and then it shows up? I hope you can answer, thanks and congrats to all of you!

Hey guys I get my score back tommorow and this might sound like a dumb question but how does it appear right after you log in? Is the score right there or do you open another tab and then it shows up? I hope you can answer, thanks and congrats to all of you!

You log in and it's right there, all sections and total in one row, as far as i remember

for everyone who did badly on the exam: be glad you can retake. i did badly in chemistry (both physical and orgo), and it meant the difference on my AMCAS from a 3.6/7 to a 3.3/4. had i done better in chemistry alone i could have applied to medical school straight out of my undergrad and save $40k on my SMP, on top of the years. the MCAT is an exam you can retake and there are worse things to screw up. you'll be ok. find a tweak to your method. for me, i didn't retake, but having done TBR, i did all the coursesaver videos right before my exam, and seeing the material in a different format and covering minor differences, it definitely helped my score. sign up for a retake, and good luck.

The best application is a single strong MCAT score. Just by retaking the MCAT will weaken your app for many schools.