The Official August 16, 2013 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Welcome everyone! For those following the SN2ed or a similar 3-month study schedule, prep should begin in the next few weeks.

Hope to see some ambitious and optimistic people here with me, and shout out to the 3/23'ers from before I bailed on that test date.

Let's go!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,
I've been on the forums almost a month now. I am writing 8/16 too. I'm not following SN2 as I feel it is ridiculous. I've started my own method of studying but I've actually been pretty behind. I finished Gen Chem about two weeks ago and I started biology this past weekend. I've been thoroughly going through each TBR and corresponding EK material in depth, writing down notes and practicing their passages and individual Qs. I've also been using Chad's Videos as a major form of study although he doesn't have Bio. What do you guys think... Individual section study and then constant review after finishing and building up or an intertwined study method like Sn2ed? I'm afraid I'm not going to be ready in time because I'm doing full time research this summer (physical chemistry!) which is taking about 45 hrs a week out of study time (although I manage to get in some studying). Any help? Also. Hello everyone :)

Hello all,
I've been on the forums almost a month now. I am writing 8/16 too. I'm not following SN2 as I feel it is ridiculous. I've started my own method of studying but I've actually been pretty behind. I finished Gen Chem about two weeks ago and I started biology this past weekend. I've been thoroughly going through each TBR and corresponding EK material in depth, writing down notes and practicing their passages and individual Qs. I've also been using Chad's Videos as a major form of study although he doesn't have Bio. What do you guys think... Individual section study and then constant review after finishing and building up or an intertwined study method like Sn2ed? I'm afraid I'm not going to be ready in time because I'm doing full time research this summer (physical chemistry!) which is taking about 45 hrs a week out of study time (although I manage to get in some studying). Any help? Also. Hello everyone :)

As someone who just got their s*** pushed in by the MCAT because I had too many other commitments, I would advise against this

Members don't see this ad :)
Re-taker here from 4/26. Excited to see some familiar faces. I hope we can all become as close as we did in the 4/26 thread. O Grady...let's make this test our b*** this time around eh?

Last edited:
Any retakers wanna discuss what they will be doing differently this time around?

I will be following the spinach dip method. I feel strong in my understanding of the content since I scored a 30 on AAMC #9 & #10. I accredit my 24 on actual test to nerves and lack of test taking skills. This time I hope that spinach dip method will allow me to be exposed to a voluminous amounts of practice so that come test day, I will be much more comfortable.

I followed sn2ed schedule the first time though, which means I have exhausted all of the AAMC FL's so I have kaplan, TPR and TBR full lengths to work with. I plan on finding my weak areas by doing practice tests and then using chad's video's to review those weak areas.

What else is everyone doing?

^what did you get the first time using SDN 3 month

I've taken it once using SDN 4 month and it was a 24. I simply did not do enough practice tests. Time and test taking skills were my biggest downfall. TBR gives you the knowledge you need but I could have used more time to really practice actual passages.

August 16th will be my first retake. Hoping for at least a 30 since I have seen those scores before on the practice FL's

Any retakers wanna discuss what they will be doing differently this time around?

I will be following the spinach dip method. I feel strong in my understanding of the content since I scored a 30 on AAMC #9 & #10. I accredit my 24 on actual test to nerves and lack of test taking skills. This time I hope that spinach dip method will allow me to be exposed to a voluminous amounts of practice so that come test day, I will be much more comfortable.

I followed sn2ed schedule the first time though, which means I have exhausted all of the AAMC FL's so I have kaplan, TPR and TBR full lengths to work with. I plan on finding my weak areas by doing practice tests and then using chad's video's to review those weak areas.

What else is everyone doing?

4/27 retaker. Scored a 27 (10/8/9) on the real deal so applying with that currently, and will update schools once new scores come in.

I used TPR the first time around. Exhausted all my AAMC's, but a major issue was me not spending enough time reviewing post-test results and honing in on my weaknesses. I would usually just read the explanation, say "oh that makes sense, just a stupid mistake on my part, I'll learn next time" and then move on. This time, I plan on using TBR for the PS, maybe some EK verbal, and then some AAMC self-assessment. Looking for a 2-3 pt increase and anything more than that will be golden.

Goal - 15/15/15
Realistic goal - 11-12/8-10/10-12

Re-taker here from 4/26. Excited to see some familiar faces. I hope we can all become as close as we did in the 4/26 thread. O Grady...let's make this test our b*** this time around eh?

:laugh: sounds good man, you're gonna rock it for sure.

As much as I like to pretend otherwise, I only cracked my MCAT books a handful of times in the months leading up to the test, so I got what I deserved and I know I can score better. This time around I'm doing SN2ed, with additional practice from the TPRH SW. Honestly I hate doing content review. It sucks but its a necessary evil, considering I have some huge gaps in my knowledge. I can't wait to start taking FLs.

As much as I like to pretend otherwise, I only cracked my MCAT books a handful of times in the months leading up to the test, so I got what I deserved and I know I can score better. This time around I'm doing SN2ed, with additional practice from the TPRH SW. Honestly I hate doing content review. It sucks but its a necessary evil, considering I have some huge gaps in my knowledge. I can't wait to start taking FLs.

Unfortunately, I already did SN2ed the first time around and I didn't see great results. I don't blame his schedule though because it has worked for so many people. I think going into I knew it didn't cater to the ways that I affectively study but I did it anyway since so many others had had so much success with it. I am an audio learner and also have to do an immense amount of practice to learn things. I never once cracked my Orgo book when I took it. I simply went to all the lectures and practiced problems. If I didn't understand something I would go find the answer with online video resources or talk to my professor. I should have studied more like this for MCAT. When I read a book to study things it goes in and out immediately.

4/27 retaker. Scored a 27 (10/8/9) on the real deal so applying with that currently, and will update schools once new scores come in.

I used TPR the first time around. Exhausted all my AAMC's, but a major issue was me not spending enough time reviewing post-test results and honing in on my weaknesses. I would usually just read the explanation, say "oh that makes sense, just a stupid mistake on my part, I'll learn next time" and then move on. This time, I plan on using TBR for the PS, maybe some EK verbal, and then some AAMC self-assessment. Looking for a 2-3 pt increase and anything more than that will be golden.

Goal - 15/15/15
Realistic goal - 11-12/8-10/10-12

Same for me. I never took the post-game analysis serious enough. Won't make that mistake again. Have you seen this thread, http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=786361 ? It really explains a good strategy for post analysis of mistakes. Check it out!

As someone who just got their s*** pushed in by the MCAT because I had too many other commitments, I would advise against this

I believe this is our difference. I spend nearly all of my time outside of work doing MCAT prep. Also, isn't SN2ed's schedule for more than 74 days before the exam? I'm not quite sure how you could manage to pull that off.

I believe this is our difference. I spend nearly all of my time outside of work doing MCAT prep. Also, isn't SN2ed's schedule for more than 74 days before the exam? I'm not quite sure how you could manage to pull that off.

Fair enough. I just know the reason I had such a hard time studying was trying to keep up a steady pace with my studying while taking on other commitments. It's a quick recipe for burnout. If you can do it though, more power to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Fair enough. I just know the reason I had such a hard time studying was trying to keep up a steady pace with my studying while taking on other commitments. It's a quick recipe for burnout. If you can do it though, more power to you.

Thanks! And to you the same. Working as a residential assistant and doing 20 hours of research a week during the school year certainly forces you to learn time management lol.

Here's a GTLO BS Discrete for you guys:

A researcher working with a species of small eukaryotes attempts to characterize the dimensions of these cells' nuclei. In one experiment, the researcher synthesizes a micelle of the same phospholipid composition and surface area as the nuclear membrane, and finds the micelle to comprise approximately 630 lipid molecules. The researcher concludes that the nuclear membrane is composed of approximately:

A. 630 phospholipids
B. 1260 phospholipids
C. 1890 phospholipids
D. 2520 phospholipids

Last edited:

A researcher working with a species of small eukaryotes attempts to characterize the dimensions of these cells' nuclei. In one experiment, the researcher synthesizes a micelle of the same phospholipid composition and surface area as the nuclear membrane, and finds the micelle to comprise approximately 630 lipid molecules. The researcher concludes that the nuclear membrane is composed of approximately:

A. 630 phospholipids
B. 1260 phospholipids
C. 1890 phospholipids
D. 2520 phospholipids

B, I would quickly eliminate D and C

Last edited:

Any other takers? I'll post the answer explanation later tonight or tomorrow (same for all the questions I post unless otherwise specified).

Also, just FYI for the future, anyone attempting mine or anyone else's problems could please post their response in white text so as not to spoil anyone else's thought process! Thanks guys :)

Any other takers? I'll post the answer explanation later tonight or tomorrow (same for all the questions I post unless otherwise specified).

Also, just FYI for the future, anyone attempting mine or anyone else's problems could please post their response in white text so as not to spoil anyone else's thought process! Thanks guys :)

B - phospholipid "bilayer" so just multiply the number by 2

could the answer be D, bc the nuclei is double membraned?

A. 630 phospholipids
B. 1260 phospholipids
C. 1890 phospholipids
D. 2520 phospholipids

D, the micelle had the same surface area but is a monolayer or 1/4 that of a DOUBLE bilayer.

Last edited:

A. 630 phospholipids
B. 1260 phospholipids
C. 1890 phospholipids
D. 2520 phospholipids

I wanna go with A because you said same composition and surface area.

A. 630 phospholipids
B. 1260 phospholipids
C. 1890 phospholipids
D. 2520 phospholipids

Answer and explanation in white below!

The answer is D. A micelle is a single phospholipid layer, and the nuclear membrane is a double bilayer. Doubling the number of micelle phospholipids once yields the number for a single bilayer, and doubling again yields that for a double bilayer, as in the case of the nuclear membrane. 630 x 2 x 2 = 2520. As a point of interest, the individual bilayers of the nuclear membrane may be referred to as the inner and outer nuclear membranes.

So all the way through the titrations and buffers chapter of TBR I was getting so annoyed and frustrated, because I didn't feel like it made any sense (G-chem was a long time ago and I struggled then, too). But alas I went on to do 5 passages with 82% correct! I'm feeling pretty good right now haha

So all the way through the titrations and buffers chapter of TBR I was getting so annoyed and frustrated, because I didn't feel like it made any sense (G-chem was a long time ago and I struggled then, too). But alas I went on to do 5 passages with 82% correct! I'm feeling pretty good right now haha

Awesome man! Congrats! :D

I am doing bio content review and it is so boring reading it the second time around. is it wrong that i rather be watching tv or watching youtube singers than studying this....? i know it doesn't get so bad once u start studying bit the procrastination to start is deadly

personally i am waiting until i am also installing a virtual machine on my computer. creating a hackintosh on my spare computer

Considering how hard TBR is supposed to be compared to the actual test, I'd say you're doing quite well.

I'm wondering, should I postpone? I've finished GChem and I'm only a fourth of the way through Bio (still need OChem and Physics to study). I'm hoping to pick up the pace but I don't want to kill myself in the process. My scores in GChem are high (~90%) but my Bio has been a struggle for me lately.

I'm aiming for 36+ by the way.

Considering how hard TBR is supposed to be compared to the actual test, I'd say you're doing quite well.

idk...I scored 70-80% on my TBR and got a 24 on 4/26. Granted, I think most of that was due to crazy anxiety because I scored a 30 on AAMC #9 and #10 so I was expecting nothing lower than a 27. **** happens. I just wouldn't trust those rumors you hear about the content being that much harder.

The problem I had with SN2ed was that most of the practice you do is topical so you already know what subjects the passages are testing you on. This is totally not representative of actual test day. The hardest part about MCAT in my opinion is deducing WHAT they are testing you on, not the actual difficulty of the material itself. I would recommend much more general practice FL and to not trust your scores on the practice passages as much.

Hey everyone, figured I'd join in here. Was planning to take mine June 20th after around 3 months of studying (which included a FT job). I was hoping today to score above a 30 on AAMC FL #7 but it did not go at all how I planned. Good thing today was the last day I could reschedule...

I caved to spending a lot of money and signed up for the Kaplan course in my area starting in 1-2 weeks. Since it's been about 3-4 years since taking physics/orgo/inorg chem, I feel that I definitely need something other than self instruction to review these. I know a guy who's currently doing a Kaplan course and he said that they really help if you haven't taken the classes in a while.

REALLY did not want to spend a ton of money and delay my application, but I believe applying later with a higher score will look better than applying early with a 25 (my average from the few practice FLs I have done and when I took the real thing last year).

idk...I scored 70-80% on my TBR and got a 24 on 4/26. Granted, I think most of that was due to crazy anxiety because I scored a 30 on AAMC #9 and #10 so I was expecting nothing lower than a 27. **** happens. I just wouldn't trust those rumors you hear about the content being that much harder.

The problem I had with SN2ed was that most of the practice you do is topical so you already know what subjects the passages are testing you on. This is totally not representative of actual test day. The hardest part about MCAT in my opinion is deducing WHAT they are testing you on, not the actual difficulty of the material itself. I would recommend much more general practice FL and to not trust your scores on the practice passages as much.

So if you could go back what would you do differently? I believe you mentioned your post-game analysis wasn't as good as it could have been. I get that the practice being topical is unrepresentative of the real thing, but shouldn't enough practice FLs get you used to integrating various topics together?

So if you could go back what would you do differently? I believe you mentioned your post-game analysis wasn't as good as it could have been. I get that the practice being topical is unrepresentative of the real thing, but shouldn't enough practice FLs get you used to integrating various topics together?

I would. I would study the way I have always studied. Attempt problems and when I don't know the answer, I go find it. In the process of looking for that answer I usually learn 10 other things I didn't know well. I would just do practice passages and find where I'm weak and fix those weak areas. This study method is what got me a sGPA 3.92.

I'm not saying SNed is bad. It got me a 30 on AAMC #9 and #10 and it has been successful for so many before me. I just think that the schedule could use more practice FL. AAMC's are good but I found them much easier than the actual and think I could have benefited from more FL where you don't have the benefit of know what topic your being tested on.

I would. I would study the way I have always studied. Attempt problems and when I don't know the answer, I go find it. In the process of looking for that answer I usually learn 10 other things I didn't know well. I would just do practice passages and find where I'm weak and fix those weak areas. This study method is what got me a sGPA 3.92.

I'm not saying SNed is bad. It got me a 30 on AAMC #9 and #10 and it has been successful for so many before me. I just think that the schedule could use more practice FL. AAMC's are good but I found them much easier than the actual and think I could have benefited from more FL where you don't have the benefit of know what topic your being tested on.

If you don't mind me asking, what was your AAMC FL Average (3 to 11)? And how many points below did you score on the real deal?

In a related experiment, a researcher attempts to characterize the dimensions of the mitochondria in a species of small eukaryotes. He synthesizes a liposome of approximately the same lipid composition and external surface area as an average mitochondrion. He finds the liposome to be comprised of roughly 830 phospholipid molecules. The researcher can most reasonably conclude that the mitochondria contain in their membranes, on average, approximately:

A. 415 phospholipids per mitochondrion
B. 830 phospholipids per mitochondrion
C. 1660 phospholipids per mitochondrion
D. 2490 phospholipids per mitochondrion

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep that in mind. I originally left myself an extra week of buffer time to take more FLs, but I've been trying to get my apps wrapped up and submitted so I'm getting behind. I'm trying to find others ways to trim down SN2ed to leave more time for FLs, so I'm considering dropping the re-read/EK 1001 days.

I've been meaning to post my TBR scores for a while, since I tend to be more productive when I feel the need to be accountable. I'll keep updating/reposting as I progress with the schedule.

TBR
Format:
chapter: 1st 1/3, 2nd 1/3, last 1/3

Organic Chemistry:
1: 66%, 81%
2: 76%, 76%
3: 90%, 71%
4: 82%, 78%

Physics:
1: 79%, 69%
2: 70%, 61%
3: 63%, 67%
4: 80%, 61%
5: 63%,

General Chemistry:
1: 65%, 60%
2: 85%, 71%
3: 74%, 60%
4: 73%, 60%
5: 82%,

Biology:
1: 50% , 56%
2: 58%, 59%
3: 53%, 67%
4: 58%,

I know my bio is bad, but the others seem to vary depending on the topic. I am trying to focus more on bio now, so I'm supplementing with TPRH bio passages/discretes

Last edited:
In a related experiment, a researcher attempts to characterize the dimensions of the mitochondria in a species of small eukaryotes. He synthesizes a liposome of approximately the same lipid composition and external surface area as an average mitochondrion. He finds the liposome to be comprised of roughly 830 phospholipid molecules. The researcher can most reasonably conclude that the mitochondria contain in their membranes, on average, approximately:

C.
Another two lipid bi-layer. Same surface area x 2 layers consisting of 830 phospholipids per layer.

Nucleus, mitochondria and chloroplasts have two lipid bilayer, and other structures are surrounded by a single lipid bilayer (such as the plasma membrane, endoplasmic reticula, Golgi apparatuses and lysosomes)

i pick C, bc mito. is double membrane (2 bilayer), and liposome is single membrane (1 bilayer), so 1660. :luck:

Here's a passage for you. Reply in white text.

Four gases - helium, oxygen, nitrogen, and carbon dioxide are pumped into a previously evacuated container in equal molar quantities. The container is filled until the total pressure is 1 atm and the temperature is held at a constant 25°C. What gas would be expected to have the shortest mean free path?

A. Helium, because it has the greatest velocity.
B. Oxygen, because its molecules are diatomic.
C. Carbon dioxide, because its molecules are the largest.
D. Nitrogen, because its molecules are uncharged.

Last edited: