The Official August 16, 2013 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Welcome everyone! For those following the SN2ed or a similar 3-month study schedule, prep should begin in the next few weeks.

Hope to see some ambitious and optimistic people here with me, and shout out to the 3/23'ers from before I bailed on that test date.

Let's go!

Members don't see this ad.

Here's a passage for you. Reply in white text.

Four gases - helium, oxygen, nitrogen, and carbon dioxide are pumped into a previously evacuated container in equal molar quantities. The container is filled until the total pressure is 1 atm and the temperature is held at a constant 25°C. What gas would be expected to have the shortest free mean path?

A. Helium, because it has the greatest velocity.
B. Oxygen, because its molecules are diatomic.
C. Carbon dioxide, because its molecules are the largest.
D. Nitrogen, because its molecules are uncharged.

Gotta go with A on this one. B is out because nitrogen gas is also diatomic, D is out because all the gas molecules are uncharged. While "free mean path" does ring a bell (I haven't reviewed gases yet) I only recall that RMS velocity is inversely related to molecular mass and it logically follows that greater velocity would translate to shorter intermolecular distance at any given time, and I would wager that's more important than the difference in molecular size between CO2 and He.

Yo guys,

Hope everyone's studying been going well! Finally have some time these weekend to start studying. Working 40+ hours a week is no easy task, especially with my crappy sleeping schedule.

Btw, my answer to ktanner's question is: A

Answer to ktanner's question is: C Since CO2 would have maximum surface area (because it has the largest radius).

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Glad to see some effort towards the question. I will say this...the distractor and answer have both been given as answers thus far. I'll post the answer with an explanation in the morning!

Glad to see some effort towards the question. I will say this...the distractor and answer have both been given as answers thus far. I'll post the answer with an explanation in the morning!
BTW if I had to bet my money I think you are of Indian origin (Since you know about Ayurvedic and "Being 26 makes you the old guy"

BTW if I had to bet my money I think you are of Indian origin (Since you know about Ayurvedic and "Being 26 makes you the old guy"

Nope. But good reason to assume so. I know about ayurvedic medicine because I am an anthropology major with a heavy focus on medical anthropology. I did a year of independant study under a professor who studies ayurvedic medical systems in Kathmandu, Nepal and I have come to love the philosophy at its foundation. The first thing I read when I began studying the medical system was, "Health will be good if one's mind and body are in harmony, and one's interaction with the universe is natural and wholesome." I love that philosophy and desire to integrate it into my practice as a healer one day. Biomedicine is obviously a superior medical system because of its scientific foundation, but there is a lot to be learned about healing that can't be devised in a lab. People are what make medicine unlike any other science.

As for the 26 year old thing...that's just becauase the premed world is a 22 year old world and I always feel like the oddball sitting in undergraduate classes and listening to guys joke about their genitals and laugh at their own farts. I'm married with two young children so being in that environment makes me feel very old.

Lol that makes sense. As far as Ayurvedic goes..I've had first hand experience with that stuff. Believe it or not I had a dude in my Bio class who was 33 years old :)

Nope. But good reason to assume so. I know about ayurvedic medicine because I am an anthropology major with a heavy focus on medical anthropology. I did a year of independant study under a professor who studies ayurvedic medical systems in Kathmandu, Nepal and I have come to love the philosophy at its foundation. The first thing I read when I began studying the medical system was, "Health will be good if one’s mind and body are in harmony, and one’s interaction with the universe is natural and wholesome." I love that philosophy and desire to integrate it into my practice as a healer one day. Biomedicine is obviously a superior medical system because of its scientific foundation, but there is a lot to be learned about healing that can't be devised in a lab. People are what make medicine unlike any other science.

As for the 26 year old thing...that's just becauase the premed world is a 22 year old world and I always feel like the oddball sitting in undergraduate classes and listening to guys joke about their genitals and laugh at their own farts. I'm married with two young children so being in that environment makes me feel very old.

My dad enrolled back into med school in his late 40s a couple years back. After literally watching him fight and struggle to get on the same level as other fresh out of college premeds, I now know that nothing's impossible. He's married with a kid (me, duh). All the power to ya, homie G. :D

Four gases - helium, oxygen, nitrogen, and carbon dioxide are pumped into a previously evacuated container in equal molar quantities. The container is filled until the total pressure is 1 atm and the temperature is held at a constant 25°C. What gas would be expected to have the shortest mean free path?

I think the answer is: C. the particles have the same kinetic energy, so the molecule with the largest mass (CO2) will be going slower than the other particles. I imagine the limiting case where there's a particle so massive that is barely moves at all. Other particles will ram into it before it has gotten very far. So in the less extreme case of CO2, the same principle should apply.

These problems are a good idea. Maybe a thread should be didicated to this. Here's my contribution.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

When a stretched rubber band contracts, the configuration of its molecules becomes less ordered. Over the contraction process, entropy change ΔS and enthalpy change ΔH have the same sign. For a rubber band undergoing contraction, which of the following statements must be true? (Hint: ΔG = ΔH - TΔS)

I. The rubber band transfers heat to its environment.

II. The rubber band absorbs heat from its environment.

III. ΔG is negative, so the process is spontaneous and requires no external work.

(a) I only

(b) II only

(c) both I and III

(d) both II and III

Last edited:
These problems are a good idea. Maybe a thread should be didicated to this. Here's my contribution.

When a stretched rubber band contracts, the configuration of its molecules becomes less ordered. Over the contraction process, entropy change ΔS and enthalpy change ΔH have the same sign. For a rubber band undergoing contraction, which of the following statements must be true? (Hint: ΔG = ΔH - TΔS)

III. ΔG is negative, so the process is spontaneous and requires no external work.

(a) I only

(b) II only

(c) both I and III

(d) both II and III

I think there was a section and an example in TBR about this ;)
My answer is: (b) II only. You stated in the problem that as contraction occurs, dS is positive thus making dH positive due to the statements. Positive dH means the reaction is endothermic so the heat is being absorbed by the rubber band. I was about to choose both II and III until I reread your statements ;)" which MUST be correct" statement III does not need to be true depending on the temperature of the reaction :)

I think there was a section and an example in TBR about this ;)
My answer is: (b) II only. You stated in the problem that as contraction occurs, dS is positive thus making dH positive due to the statements. Positive dH means the reaction is endothermic so the heat is being absorbed by the rubber band. I was about to choose both II and III until I reread your statements ;)" which MUST be correct" statement III does not need to be true depending on the temperature of the reaction :)

:)

Members don't see this ad :)

Four gases - helium, oxygen, nitrogen, and carbon dioxide are pumped into a previously evacuated container in equal molar quantities. The container is filled until the total pressure is 1 atm and the temperature is held at a constant 25°C. What gas would be expected to have the shortest mean free path?

For me it would have to be this answer: A. In my mind, B and D make no sense as choices. I feel that C is the distractor as you would think large molecules = slower velocity. However, shortest mean free path is the distance between collisions. I think Helium with its higher velocity would encounter collisions at a faster rate and a shorter distance.

Hopefully my reasoning is correct haha.

(a) I only

(b) II only

(c) both I and III

(d) both II and III

Answers is: D

34qwgvp.png

C is the answer

Loveanswers reasoning was correct. Mean free path is the distance a molecule will travel before colliding with another molecule. The velocity is irrelevant to how far it will travel before colliding with another, it would only tell us that helium would collide with another object sooner but not necessarily in a shorter distance.

Mathematical explanation is that mean free path is proportional to V/n and inversely proportional to the cross sectional area of the molecule. Since PV = nRT we have, mean free path = RT / P. The quantity is the same for all the gases so the only factor that remains is the cross sectional area. CO2 is the largest molecule out of our choices and is the correct answer.

Last edited:

(a) I only

(b) II only

(c) both I and III

(d) both II and III

D. I also recall this from TBR but it's easily solved with attention to the information in the question stem anyway.

Edit: Ah, balla is right. I was assuming the entropy change would outweigh the enthalpy change regardless, but it doesn't. It does depend on temperature.

Last edited:
In a related experiment, a researcher attempts to characterize the dimensions of the mitochondria in a species of small eukaryotes. He synthesizes a liposome of approximately the same lipid composition and external surface area as an average mitochondrion. He finds the liposome to be comprised of roughly 830 phospholipid molecules. The researcher can most reasonably conclude that the mitochondria contain in their membranes, on average, approximately:

A. 415 phospholipids per mitochondrion
B. 830 phospholipids per mitochondrion
C. 1660 phospholipids per mitochondrion
D. 2490 phospholipids per mitochondrion

Answer in white below!

The correct answer is D. A liposome is composed of a lipid bilayer, and a mitochondrion, like the nucleus, is enclosed by a double lipid bilayer membrane set. However, one of the identifying characteristics of mitochondria is the presence of cristae, extensive infolds of the inner mitochondrial membrane. The high degree of convolution of the inner membrane serves to increase its surface area to accommodate greater numbers of electron transport chain enzymes. Given that the surface area of the inner membrane should be significantly greater than that of the outer membrane, the answer must be greater than twice the number of lipids in the liposome. The only answer greater than 1660 is D, 2490.

34qwgvp.png

C is the answer

Loveanswers reasoning was correct. Mean free path is the distance a molecule will travel before colliding with another molecule. The velocity is irrelevant to how far it will travel before colliding with another, it would only tell us that helium would collide with another object sooner but not necessarily in a shorter distance.

Mathematical explanation is that mean free path is proportional to V/n and inversely proportional to the cross sectional area of the molecule. Since PV = nRT we have, mean free path = RT / P. The quantity is the same for all the gases so the only factor that remains is the cross sectional area. CO2 is the largest molecule out of our choices and is the correct answer.

velocity is irrelevant when all particles are the same mass, but I think it should matter when they're going different speeds.

Imagine if there's a particle, of the same size as CO2, that's extremely massive, so massive that it takes the particle 1 billion years to move infinitesimal distance dR. Over the course of 1 billion years, the particle will have gone tiny distance dR, and surely would have encountered many collisions in that time. It would encounter collisions if it didn't move at all. So the massive particle's average distance is dR ÷ (number of times it gets hit every billion years). The average distance the other particles go before collisions is obviously greater than dR.

Another example. Imaging there are only two particles in your volume. Every collision that occurs is clearly between the two particles. Let's call the average time between collisions t. If the particles have the same mass, they will be going the same speed v, and thus have the same distance vt between collisions. But if one particle is massive with smaller velocity v than a less massive particle with velocity V, the big particle will go vt and the small paorticle will go Vt. V>v, so small particle goes larger distance.

EDIT: I initially interpreted this question as implying the gases will be mixed together. Rereading, I guess the problem intended for the gases to be kept separate? In that case, mass doesn't matter. That's MCAT style ambiguity true and true, good job;)

Last edited:
This question stuff is really cool. I always like learning from my mistakes and hearing the reasoning behind correct answers.

I'll definitely contribute some once my class starts. I should have a trove of stuff!

velocity is irrelevant when all particles are the same mass, but I think it should matter when they're going different speeds.

Imagine if there's a particle, of the same size as CO2, that's extremely massive, so massive that it takes the particle 1 billion years to move infinitesimal distance dR. Over the course of 1 billion years, the particle will have gone tiny distance dR, and surely would have encountered many collisions in that time. It would encounter collisions if it didn't move at all. So the massive particle's average distance is dR ÷ (number of times it gets hit every billion years). The average distance the other particles go before collisions is obviously greater than dR.

Another example. Imaging there are only two particles in your volume. Every collision that occurs is clearly between the two particles. Let's call the average time between collisions t. If the particles have the same mass, they will be going the same speed v, and thus have the same distance vt between collisions. But if one particle is massive with smaller velocity v than a less massive particle with velocity V, the big particle will go vt and the small paorticle will go Vt. V>v, so small particle goes larger distance.

EDIT: I initially interpreted this question as implying the gases will be mixed together. Rereading, I guess the problem intended for the gases to be kept separate? In that case, mass doesn't matter. That's MCAT style ambiguity true and true, good job;)

You got it right though lol

TBR biology passages make me feel unworthy lol... brutal

I had two very difficult bio/ochem passages on the real thing. I would say that the genetics and biochem TBR chapters are worth a read through if your struggling with the passages.

I actually disagree, I think the problem is clearly intending the gases to be mixed together in the same previously evacuated container.

Further, I can't find any material online regarding mean free paths of different individual components of a gas mixture, so I'd appreciate a source on this if Ham wouldn't mind.

I actually disagree, I think the problem is clearly intending the gases to be mixed together in the same previously evacuated container.

Further, I can't find any material online regarding mean free paths of different individual components of a gas mixture, so I'd appreciate a source on this if Ham wouldn't mind.

true. but later, the question asks "which of the gases." If they are mixed together, I believe you'd refer to it as one gas. So "which of the gases" to me implies that they are distinct gases. But the first part of the question definitely implies that they're mixed.

In the case of mixing, I'm fairly certain that the CO2 will have the shortest path, for the reasons stated in my previous post. Both large radius and slow speed will speed will contribute toward a small average distance. CO2 is both the largest molecule and the slowest molecule, so it will definitely have the shortest distance. I focused on speed in my explanation since the speed differences should be more significant than the size difference, since a gas is mostly empty space anyway.

I had two very difficult bio/ochem passages on the real thing. I would say that the genetics and biochem TBR chapters are worth a read through if your struggling with the passages.

It's still too much detail to be of very much use. TBR's all about the passages and how obscure they are, since the real thing is like that.

I have a question about something on pg 205 of TBR gen chem. They say that at the start the reaction, catalyst concentration is high, and as the reaction proceeds and the catalyst is part of a transition state complex, it's concentration is low. And as the reaction gets closer to equilibrium, the catalyst concentration increases, and eventually reaches it initial value.

Initially, the catalyst was involved in any transition states. At equilibrium, although the net forward reaction is zero, wouldn't the catalyst still be involved in transition states between forward and backward reactions that occur at equilibrium? So the equilibrium concentration of catalyst should be lower, than, not equal to, the initial concentration?

true. but later, the question asks "which of the gases." If they are mixed together, I believe you'd refer to it as one gas. So "which of the gases" to me implies that they are distinct gases. But the first part of the question definitely implies that they're mixed.

In the case of mixing, I'm fairly certain that the CO2 will have the shortest path, for the reasons stated in my previous post. Both large radius and slow speed will speed will contribute toward a small average distance. CO2 is both the largest molecule and the slowest molecule, so it will definitely have the shortest distance. I focused on speed in my explanation since the speed differences should be more significant than the size difference, since a gas is mostly empty space anyway.

While I follow the logic of your explanation, I'm sure you'll understand if I don't want to take something as fact just because it's sensible.

I have a question about something on pg 205 of TBR gen chem. They say that at the start the reaction, catalyst concentration is high, and as the reaction proceeds and the catalyst is part of a transition state complex, it's concentration is low. And as the reaction gets closer to equilibrium, the catalyst concentration increases, and eventually reaches it initial value.

Initially, the catalyst was involved in any transition states. At equilibrium, although the net forward reaction is zero, wouldn't the catalyst still be involved in transition states between forward and backward reactions that occur at equilibrium? So the equilibrium concentration of catalyst should be lower, than, not equal to, the initial concentration?

I do not see anything about catalysts on page 205 in either of the TBR gen chem books.

It's adapted from a TPR full length.

Everything you say is correct. *In my opinion* , it seems like the book is talking about a reaction with an equilibrium that completely favors the products. If you look at the graph to the left of the Intermediate/catalyst graph; it shows that as time goes to infinity, concentration of reactants will possibly go to zero. In those circumstances, the concentration of the intermediate will be minimal and the catalyst concentration would be unhindered by the amount of catalyst in the transition state form.

But then again... I might be wrong

Last edited:
GTLO,

What about my answer can I clarify? It's possible I didn't do a very good job. It was a learning experience for me. Writing these things is tough!

Everything you say is correct. *In my opinion* , it seems like the book is talking about a reaction with an equilibrium that completely favors the products. If you look at the graph to the left of the Intermediate/catalyst graph; it shows that as time goes to infinity, concentration of reactants will possibly go to zero. In those circumstances, the concentration of the intermediate will be minimal and the catalyst concentration would be unhindered by the amount of catalyst in the transition state form.

But then again... I might be wrong

good point, they were probably talking about the theoretical limit of a complete reaction.

GTLO,

What about my answer can I clarify? It's possible I didn't do a very good job. It was a learning experience for me. Writing these things is tough!
The question was very good, and pedagogical. I haven't encountered the answer to it in my studies. All questions of this type that I have seen involved uniform gases, not gases of different particles. I am 99% sure that my reasoning is correct, because the limiting cases described seem undeniable. But GTLO wants to hear the correct answer from an authority in the subject. I have never seen this question answered, though. Might take some digging to find it.

GTLO,

No no, I agree with Platonic that it's a good question, and aside from him bringing it up I didn't think it was ambiguous or anything at all. But like he said, it's not something I've ever seen before. I can't find anything that addresses the estimation of relative mean free paths between components of a gas mixture, and it'd be nice to get to read an explanation of it from an educational source so I can be sure I have the fundamentals right for evaluation of similar scenarios.

No no, I agree with Platonic that it's a good question, and aside from him bringing it up I didn't think it was ambiguous or anything at all. But like he said, it's not something I've ever seen before. I can't find anything that addresses the estimation of relative mean free paths between components of a gas mixture, and it'd be nice to get to read an explanation of it from an educational source so I can be sure I have the fundamentals right for evaluation of similar scenarios.

Here you go sir. This site explains it pretty well. Its basically dependent on the surface area of a molecule.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/kinetic/menfre.html

Here you go sir. This site explains it pretty well. Its basically dependent on the surface area of a molecule.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/kinetic/menfre.html

Yeah, I've read through the HyperPhysics page on it. It goes into discussion of the effect of molecular speed on the calculation, but bases the adjustment on the Maxwell speed distribution, which assumes ideal gas molecules. The very fact that we're distinguishing between gas molecules' different sizes (not to mention velocities, as this makes the speed distribution inapplicable to the gas mixture as a whole) means that doesn't work in this case.

I look at it like this. If a highway is crowded with many cars, lets say its creeping traffic in Los Angeles. If I'm on a motorcycle, the distance I can travel through traffic is further than the distance I could travel through the traffic in a concrete truck. The motorcycle has a reduced chance of collision because it can fit in between more cars.

That being said, the motorcycle could be going 2mph and the concrete truck 150mph and the concrete truck wills till occur a collision first because the distance is independent of the speed I travel that distance. If I'm 1 mile from a brick wall, whether I travel 100mph or 1mph towards that wall, I'm still going to collide with that wall.

Everyone dreads female reproduction system questions so here's one for you guys!

A patient with at risk for thromboembolic blood disorders is advised by her physician to refrain from taking her birth control pill. The patient is sexually active and not desiring pregnancy so she asks her physician if there are any alternative to oral contraceptives. Her physician tells her about the sympothermal method. She and her partner are instructed to refrain from sexual intercourse until an incrase in her basal body temperature.
This rise occurs 24 to 48 hours after ovulation and is most likely associated with an increase in the release of:

A. FSH
B. LH
C. estrogen
D. progesterone

Please respond in white! Answer will be provided tomorrow!

Everyone dreads female reproduction system questions so here's one for you guys!

A patient with at risk for thromboembolic blood disorders is advised by her physician to refrain from taking her birth control pill. The patient is sexually active and not desiring pregnancy so see asks her physician if there are any alternative to oral contraceptives. Her physician tells her about the sympothermal method. She and her partner are instructed to refrain from sexual intercourse until an incrase in her basal body temperature.
This rise occurs 24 to 48 hours after ovulation and is most likely associated with an increase in the release of:

A. FSH
B. LH
C. estrogen
D. progesterone

Please respond in white!

D. Progesterone is responsible for the increase in basal body temperature as it preps the uterus.

A patient with at risk for thromboembolic blood disorders is advised by her physician to refrain from taking her birth control pill. The patient is sexually active and not desiring pregnancy so she asks her physician if there are any alternative to oral contraceptives. Her physician tells her about the sympothermal method. She and her partner are instructed to refrain from sexual intercourse until an incrase in her basal body temperature.

A. FSH
B. LH
C. estrogen
D. progesterone

Answers:D, I remember this from a chart in my content review. As for why, I have no clue. But I know for sure that C is incorrect because estrogen would be constantly increasing even before the 24 hour mark.

Btw, after I went back through the TBR bio passages, everything makes sense. I honestly think that for a person to get a 15 on the bio section, they should be able to score at least >85-90% on these tough passages; looks like thats gonna be my new goal. Got a 70% across the 15 ch1 passages yesterday meh :/

Answers:D, I remember this from a chart in my content review. As for why, I have no clue. But I know for sure that C is incorrect because estrogen would be constantly increasing even before the 24 hour mark.

It is hypothesized that progesterone somehow increases metabolism. The mechanism is still being debated in the literature, but it is known that rising concentrations do not lead to larger temperature increases.

I look at it like this. If a highway is crowded with many cars, lets say its creeping traffic in Los Angeles. If I'm on a motorcycle, the distance I can travel through traffic is further than the distance I could travel through the traffic in a concrete truck. The motorcycle has a reduced chance of collision because it can fit in between more cars.

That being said, the motorcycle could be going 2mph and the concrete truck 150mph and the concrete truck wills till occur a collision first because the distance is independent of the speed I travel that distance. If I'm 1 mile from a brick wall, whether I travel 100mph or 1mph towards that wall, I'm still going to collide with that wall.

The reasoning isn't correct. Consider a gas of two molecules of different mass and thus different speed. Clearly the faster molecule will go further distance between collisions. The same principle applies as you increase the number of molecules.

Estrogen is decreasing immediately after ovulation, not increasing. It doesn't significantly start to rise again until the corpus luteum is formed.

I think this is a good question, but I can't imagine we're expected to know that progesterone increases basal body temperature. It's not mentioned in the address of progesterone's effects during the menstrual cycle in any prep book I have or in my 1000+ page physiology textbook.

I would have said D, but I would have reasoned that 1) A and B won't see any increase after ovulation, so they're out, and 2) estrogen and progesterone both experience a delayed increase after ovulation, but progesterone more so. Therefore, D is more likely the answer.

Not sure if there's another way to solve it.

A. FSH
B. LH
C. estrogen
D. progesterone

38584474.jpg

The reasoning isn't correct. Consider a gas of two molecules of different mass and thus different speed. Clearly the faster molecule will go further distance between collisions. The same principle applies as you increase the number of molecules.

I don't see why this necessarily applies. Why does a faster gas go further in between collisions?

I don't see why this necessarily applies. Why does a faster gas go further in between collisions?

if you have two particles in your system, P1 and P2, each collision is between these two particles. So the time between collisions for P1 is the same as the time between collisions for P2. Distance=(velocity) x (time). Since they have the same time, the faster particle will go the furthest distance between collisions.

The same principle applies as the number of particles in your system increases.

if you have two particles in your system, P1 and P2, each collision is between these two particles. So the time between collisions for P1 is the same as the time between collisions for P2. Distance=(velocity) x (time). Since they have the same time, the faster particle will go the furthest distance between collisions.

The same principle applies as the number of particles in your system increases.

Yeah. :-/ idk. I just think that CO2 is exponentially larger on a atomic level so it encounters so many more collisions in a shorter distance. You bring up a good point though that I hadn't considered. CO2 is traveling slower so its not traveling as far in between all of these collisions. Proving the answer to my question even more.