***The Official Community College Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LNinlove

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This thread is here for those of us who have gone to a CC and are pursuing an education in dentistry.

Some of us have already gotten in to a dental school and some of us are working towards it. Hopefully those who have gotten accepted to a dental school with CC credits under their belt will inspire the rest of us.

You can look at the poll started by PChemGrad...
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=399118

Or another discussion on CC work...
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=398290

Or if you aren't finding what you are looking for, do a search and see what pops up.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sorry, but to make this really official, you need 8 asterisks.

I'm sorry, but to make this really official, you need 8 asterisks.

Well, that must be why no one is responding. Do you know if that is 8 asterisks total, or per side of the title?

Members don't see this ad :)
I used to be a CC student...i opened a thread on CC as well...you guys might know about it...i am hoping for more responses on it & suggestions on dental schools where i can apply....thanks for opening this thread and the poll!:)

I used to be a CC student...i opened a thread on CC as well...you guys might know about it...i am hoping for more responses on it & suggestions on dental schools where i can apply....thanks for opening this thread and the poll!:)

Ya, we should definately make a list of schools that are CC friendly...

I did my time at a CC!

Me too. I took most of my science prereqs there too.

I went to a CC so I'll happily join in the thread. I got a great education and helped tutor students at the bigger school down the road! Good luck to all my fellows cc kids looking to kick some butt in dschool.

I have nothing but praises for the CC I attended. It was a wonderful experience for me.

I am taking last few upper bio at CC..

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys im currently going to a CC and im really glad to see some people that are actually becoming dentists coming from CC. it really inspires me to see what people can achieve despite the negative views of looking down on CC's.

Does anyone have advice for me? i would really appreciate it. I am going to start my 2nd year in fall. any tips on classes and transfers?

Thanks for the bump- this is very comforting.

For those of you who did do CC courses, how many credits did you do there and what school accepted you? I believe that some schools, like Tufts, wants their students to have no CC credits. Others have limits. I'm hoping to get into a school that has a limit of 60 semester hours from a CC. Are they talking about the pre-requisites, or if you have done a considerable amount of time in a CC (like me) they'll toss your application because of your generals done at the CC? Just curious.

i took 98 units at a CC, that included all of my pre-reqs.
Gen Chem, O-Chem, Bio, Physics, English, etc...

Then I transfered to a University and finished my BS. I was accepted to 3 dental schools this past year.

I did take a lot of upperdivision science classes after transferring.

i took 98 units at a CC, that included all of my pre-reqs.
Gen Chem, O-Chem, Bio, Physics, English, etc...

Then I transfered to a University and finished my BS. I was accepted to 3 dental schools this past year.

I did take a lot of upperdivision science classes after transferring.

Same here, with 4 acceptances on 12/1

nice. lol my heros!

question though. dont want to sound dumb, but after organic chem 2, bio 2, physics 2...what other sciences are there to take?

biochem, any other upper division bio classes.

it really inspires me to see what people can achieve despite the negative views of looking down on CC's.

Does anyone have advice for me? i would really appreciate it. I am going to start my 2nd year in fall. any tips on classes and transfers?

The negative views of CC is what drove me to do well on the DAT, like I had to prove to non-CC people that that going to a CC didn't make me a weaker applicant. I don't think I would be where I am today if I didn't go to a CC.

CCs are more personal that universities. Get to know your professors, and learn the material. (Especially the stuff that will be on the DAT.) If you can do that now, then when you get to a 4 year then you won't have any trouble competing w/ brainiacs.

I m joining the CC club too!
I was wondering does anyone have a list which schools are not accepting CC credits at all?!

I went to CC did extremely poorly(too much partying) went to a junior college, and then transfered to a satellite state school. I will be starting D-school in less then a month:eek:. What I admire about people who share similar backgrounds, is that maybe we all didn't start out as great students, but along the way we realized our goals, learned a hell of a lot and we get to see our dreams realized. I guess what I think is the most important point, it doesn' matter where you start, its how hard you work. Good Luck to you all..

In for the cc here too. You know what makes the cc look bad, its the little annual colleges that give masters in 3 months!! Admissions hear cc and automatically compare to the above colleges and think balancing equations and long breaks in chem classes. I was looking at a couple of the d-schools in the guide and many of them do not even want to see you if you are from a cc regardless of your stats. They should tell students this before they enroll in the cc. To tell you guys the truth, I would have never attended a cc if I knew that it was so badly looked upon. Did not speak English very well back then and school was school so I went. Just make sure you guys dont waste your money applying to schools that dont like cc credits.

You know what makes the cc look bad, its the little annual colleges that give masters in 3 months!!

What are you talking about??? I've never heard of a CC giving out masters degrees. CCs are only 2 years, the highest degree they can confer is an Associates degree.

What are you talking about??? I've never heard of a CC giving out masters degrees. CCs are only 2 years, the highest degree they can confer is an Associates degree.

No, I was talking about those online or night colleges that come up once a year that offer the compact degrees not cc's. They are the ones that cc's are compared to and degraded.

nice. lol my heros!

question though. dont want to sound dumb, but after organic chem 2, bio 2, physics 2...what other sciences are there to take?

:eek::eek::eek::eek:
Dude there is a lot of science still left:laugh:

How about Cell, Devo, Micro, Biochem, Pchem, Analytical, Inorganic, Devo, Genetics, Evolution, Molecular, and those are just the basics.

Please there is much more to science then preprofesional pre-reqs.

nice. lol my heros!

Depends on what degree you want, and what dental school you want to go to. For some schools and/or degrees, there is no science left. Some schools also require Micro and Anatomy and Physiology. I got into D.School with the absolute bare minimum science and although it saved me a year, it would of been nice to have the same science background as 90% of my class. I was at a huge disadvantage in the extra science classes/concepts in D.School.

Here is my story. Graduated high school, had no idea what I wanted to do. Went to UVSC, got a 1.9 gpa my freshman year. :eek:

Went on a LDS Mission, came home, decided I wanted to be a lawyer like my dad. Did a lot of pre-reqs for that. Hated them. Started looking into a science career, but didn't want to do medicine (for lots of reasons, basically all the typical ones; didn't want to be an employee, work weekends, nights, be on call....I understand that those "stereotyped" reasons aren't always true, but they were in my mind and perception is reality...). Met my wife, a hygienist.

She worked for a doctor 2 days a week. I met him and he was a great guy. He said I should come in and watch him work for a couple days to see what it was like/gain an appreciation to what my wife does (mainly bc I couldn't believe how much she was being paid!). I fell in love with what he did.

Called around to every school in Utah (BYU, Utah, USU, WSU) and Utah had a B.S. that I was 19 credits away from earning, so I withdrew from BYU and transferred to the U, did my pre-reqs in 1 yr and a summer session with the 19 credits thrown in here and there. Applied with the bare minimum pre-reqs (which was kind of sad, a lot of the schools I originally wanted to attend required more science coursework). I was hoping to get in with the bare, but if not, I would finish up the science work and apply again the next year.

I applied to 10 schools, got into 2 on Dec. 1, one of which was Temple. I felt that Temple would prepare as good, if not better than any other school to do clinical dentistry, so I immediately accepted and canceled my application at the other schools. I have to say, it has been a wild ride, but I wouldn't change a second of it for anything.