**The Official Guide to Special Masters Programs**

Started by braluk
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Lots of great information in this thread. I will eventually be looking for a MBS program to help get me in. Here are the stats I posted in the LECOM thread.

I will be finishing Organic this summer and then taking the MCAT. My undergraduate GPA is low due to my first two years of college when I got academically dismissed from school. Since then I have returned to the school, earned my BA in Psychology and now am taking my med school pre-reqs. I will probably have to wait until 2012 since I won't be taking my MCAT until July 2011.

I current have a GPA of around 2.70 which I am raising.
Community service involvment in undergrad.
A letter of recommendation from a MD and from a DO.
Pharmacy experience.
A year of nurse assistant experience at an urban Buffalo hospital.
At the time of applying I will have a year of experience as an EMT-B (formerly EMT-D).

I am hoping a to get a great MCAT score and that my experience will help push me into admission. I will definately be monitoring this thread (along with other non-URM (white guy here with nothing but western European ancestry) post-baccs.

Keep up all the good advice.
 
Hey, great thread. I been finding a lot of useful info. I've recently decided to apply for some grade enhancers. My adviser mentioned I could aim for same year applying programs. My goal is US med school, MD or DO, as soon as practical and appropriate, but I'm not sure what would work best for me, post-bac (catagory 2) or real SMPs (cat. 1)?

Here's my stats:
cGPA: 3.35 at ug, with a splattering of 4.0 from continuing education courses.
sGPA: 3.14 I think, maybe 3.2
MCAT: 30 (11,11,8 in bio even though I work as a biologist, ugh) I'll definitely be retaking.
EC: Stellar research, decent clinical+non volunteering, leadership, etc. No shadowing for now though.

I've heard good things about Tufts and BU, and those were specifically mentioned to me, but the BU is two years right? Would something like that really be best for me, since I feel like I'm pretty close to the edge. It seems like a hardcore SMP is the course of last resort so would a 1yr post-bacc. be more appropriate (cost-benefit, risk-reward wise) for me?

Thoughts, comments and advices appreciated. Thanks!
 
Hey guys,
I recently started looking into SMP programs and would like some advice on what programs to look at and the kind of chance I may have at getting in:
cGPA: 3.21 (upward trend)
sGPA: 3.00
MCAT: 30N
I did a Bachelor of Kinesiology after switching from biology so it took 5 years. Not the best idea in retrospect but I wasn't planning on medicine to begin with. I have all the pre-reqs some are good some are C's (upward trend again).
I have ok extra curriculars including a big brother type program (1 year 3hrs/week), working with physically and mentally disabled youth (1 year 3hrs/week), working in a cardiac rehab program (1year 3hrs/week) and I got a certification as a exercise physiologist during my undergrad.
I'm also Canadian so I'm looking for schools that will accept me (I am pretty sure G-town does, and I think Rosalind-franklin). I am also interested in whether or not these types of programs have any impact in Canada as I would like to apply to both there and the US to maximize my chances. can anyone comment on this? I was considering the Caribbean but I want to exhaust all my options first. DO may be an option but again I don't know exactly how well it transfers back to Canada (I have a contact in residency in Calgary I will hopefully be in touch with on this). I know they are supposed to have unlimited rights in certain provinces but it's difficult to find many practicing here to discuss this with. Any information would be appreciated!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone, I am applying to Post-Baccs and SMPs right now. I have read a lot of this thread and I just thought to check out what you all thought of my chances and if anyone has any advice.

I am a senior Neuroscience major, my overall GPA is 3.0 and my science right now is 2.8. I know that's pretty low.
I have a physical disability and for a few semesters in college I was in the hospital a lot so I missed classes and it's hard concentrating while on medications. Either way, I have adapted and coped with my disability a lot more in recent years and my transcript shows an upward trend overall.
My MCAT is 26R, 9 in both sciences, 8 in verbal. Yes, I took the Kaplan course.

I have been volunteering at a state hospital for the past 5 or 6 years. I have clinical research in bioengineering and clinical research in a treatment unit for children with autism. I teach science classes to elementary students, am in neuroscience club, and some other things.

My goal is for MD, but I am considering DO as a possibility.
I am applying to the top 4 Caribbean schools. I have sent in my applications to Barry post bacc and I am working on BU's now. I applied to a few American MD Schools, but I had a realization last month that my chances for getting into an american medical school the first try with my stats is small at best. So I haven't followed through with the secondaries in an attempt to save money to apply to MS, post baccs, and SMPs.

Also worth mentioning, my university pre-health office is only now sending out my reference letters due to some mix up they had.

Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!!!
 
Hey everyone, just wanted to say reading this forum has given me a lot of info about applying to med school and especially SMP programs. I am a senior graduating this coming May with a BS in Biochemistry and a BA in Biology. I decided to defer my application to medical school until after my senior year because I felt I was not a very strong candidate applying after my junior year. I was really interested in the SMP program at UC and was trying to get an idea of my chances of getting in. I saw on their website the requirements are generally atleast a 3.0 GPA and a 27 on the MCAT. I have already taken the MCAT but unfortunately I didnt prepare nearly as much as I needed to and only got a 27 (10,10,7). My undergraduate GPA is a 3.45 with my science GPA being approximately 3.3. I don't have a multitude of volunteer activities but rather one that I have been involved with for the past 2 years for about 10 hours a week. After this and classes, most of the free time I have is spent in a research lab. I am worried my lack of involvement on campus could be quite detrimental to my application. I was also looking into Boston University and Loyola's SMP programs as well. Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for making this such a great place for people like me to find exactly what I need to know about the medical school application process.
 
Please help: In search of advice

Option 1: Take my acceptance to a strong DO medical school

or

Option 2: Apply to special post bac programs and try to get into an MD school ?

Info about me:
4.0 GPA in undergrad
student-athlete (with many awards- All-American, Scholar Athlete of the Year etc)
Tons of leadership (Captain of the team, commencement speaker)
Lots of Volunteer, clinical experiences etc
BUT........MCAT 24

** If Option 2: What SMP or postbac programs offer a linkage to affiiliated medical schools contingent upon receiving a certain defined required GPA with a minimum required MCAT or offer an automatic medical school interview contingent upon grades as well ?

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE! xxx
 
😱

Retake the MCAT.

Seriously.

Retake the MCAT. That'll cost you about $1500 for a prep course and 3-6 months of hard work.

An SMP does nothing to address the only problem with your app: your MCAT score.

If you were going to take that DO acceptance you wouldn't be asking around.

Best of luck to you.

Thank you so much for your response. Unfortunately, I took a prep course and also took the MCAT 3 times and got the same score 🙁
My practice tests were in the 28-30 range but I blew it on test day.
 
Howdy,
So I posted in this forum a week or so ago and didn't receive any responses. I figure this is probably because I asked too many questions and made my situation sound too complicated. So to make things a bit easier:

(1) Does anyone know which (good) SMP programs accept Canadians?

Also, I'm planning on applying in both Canada and the US after/if I do a SMP so...

(2) Does anyone know if Canadian schools look favorably on SMP programs?

Thank you!
 
Thank you so much for your response. Unfortunately, I took a prep course and also took the MCAT 3 times and got the same score 🙁
My practice tests were in the 28-30 range but I blew it on test day.
Sounds like you should be happy with that DO acceptance then.

What's your strategy for doing well on the boards during and after med school? These exams are considerably longer than the MCAT (full day+), and they cover ridiculous amounts of material that you get much less time to learn. And you never get to stop taking them. DO or MD.

Best of luck to you.
 
Thank you so much for your response. Unfortunately, I took a prep course and also took the MCAT 3 times and got the same score 🙁
My practice tests were in the 28-30 range but I blew it on test day.

As Midlife said - take the DO acceptance. Even if you get a 4.0 in an SMP, you still arent going to get into a MD program with a 24
 
On the topic of JuliaJulia's question in regards to the linkage programs, does anyone have any suggestions? I am looking for a linkage program for MD that gives either acceptances or at minimum guaranteed interviews. The ones that I know of are VCU, RFU, and EVMS. I appreciate your input in advance.
 
Hi All,

I am a current medical school applicant applying for 2011. I have a few interviews coming up at DO schools and am waiting for interviews at the MD schools I applied to. I think I should be able to get a few more interviews at DO schools and a few MD interviews.

I have a lot of extra-curriculars, research, community service, teaching experience, volunteer work, clinical experience etc. Stats are 3.6 post-bac gpa through 60 science credits(2.9 undergrad gpa from Cornell) and a 30 O MCAT. \

Based on how I fair this year with the acceptances I will decide on whether or not I want to enroll in an SMP or not. Can someone tell me when the application period opens for 2011 SMP classes?

Thanks so much!
 
hi! i'm a non-traditional applicant that has been considering applying to medical school. i've been browsing different threads on this forum and have come to the conclusion that i pretty much don't have any chance of getting into an MD program without doing an SMP first. i would like some input/ advice.

here are my stats:

undergrad
-top 20 school
-sGPA: 2.98 cGPA: 3.32 (steep positive slope)
-lots of EC (4 years of research, internships every summer, 4 years of volunteer)

graduate school
-top 5 school
-3.94 GPA
-1460 GRE score
-lots of EC (fieldwork abroad, volunteer, master's thesis)

HAVE YET TO TAKE THE MCAT. i'm registered to take it in march 2011.

also, with my low undergraduate GPA and absence of an MCAT score, will i have difficulty getting into a selective SMP, such as BU or georgetown?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hi! i'm a non-traditional applicant that has been considering applying to medical school. i've been browsing different threads on this forum and have come to the conclusion that i pretty much don't have any chance of getting into an MD program without doing an SMP first. i would like some input/ advice.

here are my stats:

undergrad
-top 20 school
-sGPA: 2.98 cGPA: 3.32 (steep positive slope)
-lots of EC (4 years of research, internships every summer, 4 years of volunteer)

graduate school
-top 5 school
-3.94 GPA
-1460 GRE score
-lots of EC (fieldwork abroad, volunteer, master's thesis)

HAVE YET TO TAKE THE MCAT. i'm registered to take it in march 2011.

also, with my low undergraduate GPA and absence of an MCAT score, will i have difficulty getting into a selective SMP, such as BU or georgetown?


forgot to mention that grad school was for an MPH.
 
Hey guys,

I'm in my last year of undergrad in Texas. I was first wondering if the list Braluk and Maxprime provided were still a good list to go by? I looked through the entire thread looking for any updates which I may/probably missed (if so, sorry!).

So, here are my stats:
cGPA: 3.1 (last 80 hours ~3.7, effed up/unfocused first year and turned myself around from then)
sGPA: 3.45
MCAT: 29Q (PS:10, V:8, BS:11)
ECs: 2 labs (one in "pre-publication"), Premed organization officer, EMT-B (taken as night classes during undergrad of spring '09), lots of volunteering in medical field, also starting my schools first official first-responder program.

Basically, after applying to all the schools in TX (TMDSAS) by mid-July, it doesn't look like I'm getting into medical school this year. I talked with an adcom and they said what I obviously knew was the prob: GPA. So I figured SMP is best but, being from Texas, is this recognized? Adcom I talked with said yes, but they mentioned one at UNT College of Osteopathic (I think, what Maxprime considers "hard science," not applied) and, allegedly, one at UT-Dallas (which I have tried for hours to find and came up with nothing).


I'll be applying to those programs like Gtown, UCincinnati, and more, but is this best course of action for my situation? I don't mind staying in Texas (UT-Houston, UTMB, UTSW, all very appealing to me). It seems Gtown and all those other "best of the crop" SMPs could possibly be an overkill for someone wanting to stay in TX. MrMidLife kind of made an inference that Texas schools, in general, were easy to get into vs Cali (I was curious about this? Is it because of the sheer number of med schools TX has?).


Thank you for all your help and advice, sorry for the long message!🙂
 
MrMidLife kind of made an inference that Texas schools, in general, were easy to get into vs Cali (I was curious about this? Is it because of the sheer number of med schools TX has?).
That's Ms. Midlife.

Texas schools are "easier" to get into than CA schools, in the sense that TX has slightly less insane admissions than CA. TX is highly competitive. Look at an MSAR for numbers. Nobody has extra room and a welcoming smile for low-GPA candidates - you'll have to fight for it.

Giving up your TX residency would be a mistake, imho.

Look into the UT Dallas postbac. You can take a year of upper div science and get some support.

Have you considered DO? TCOM is a good school.

Best of luck to you.
 
That's Ms. Midlife.

Texas schools are "easier" to get into than CA schools, in the sense that TX has slightly less insane admissions than CA. TX is highly competitive. Look at an MSAR for numbers. Nobody has extra room and a welcoming smile for low-GPA candidates - you'll have to fight for it.

Giving up your TX residency would be a mistake, imho.

Look into the UT Dallas postbac. You can take a year of upper div science and get some support.

Have you considered DO? TCOM is a good school.

Best of luck to you.

I'm sorry, Ms.Midlife! 🙂

I honestly want to keep my TX residency too. While I'm not too informed on SMP and such, I know a LOT about admissions through TX, TMDSAS, and the different schools. I personally feel many of these schools are more than qualified to provide me with the tools I'm seeking in order to be a great physician. I applied everywhere, including TCOM. I was *hoping* they'd notice the dramatic trend in my grades after my first year (I was dumb my first year) but I guess not.

Looking over that UT Dallas program, it seems to be undergrad coursework. Is it considered as such since TMDSAS applies ALL undergrad to undergrad GPA, regardless if its taken postbac or not (then again, I'm not familiar with Certificates, bah!) Also, would it be "rigorous" enough for me to prove to medical schools I can handle the coursework? There's also the Master's Program at TCOM that I think is an SMP... I'd like my chances at UTHouston and UTMB, not just TCOM if that's who it'll help (which, indeed, is a great school).

Sorry I'm so clueless at all this.. Thanks for all your help again!
 
Quick Question:

I'm currently applying to both MD and DO schools, but since it's pretty late in the cycle I'm a little worried I may be overlooked. Hence, I'm strongly considering applying to SMPs when the applications open. I don't think my grades are an issue, as I'm carrying a 3.6 Cum and 3.6 BCPM with a 31R MCAT. As I stated, my only concern is that I'm a little late. With these scores, if I don't get in would SMP be a good route to take? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
 
Hey everyone,

This forum is a life saver! My quick story: Have a B.S in Biology graduated with a cGPA 3.2, science GPA 3.59. Volunteer at in the Peds Hema/Oncology Unit 12 hours a week, am registered for a spring semester EMT-B Class, and work part-time for the NYS Dept. of Health as a research scientist. I've been trying to prepare myself to apply to medical schools next year, I was going to apply to master's programs to improve my GPA and recently found out about these special programs.

Since I just recently found out about these programs I have yet to take the MCAT. I want to begin the program in this upcoming Fall '11 academic year. Do you think I could prepare for, take, and get my MCAT scores in time to make the deadlines for these programs? I know its going to be tight, but is this doable?

Any advice would be very helpful, its very overwhelming!
 
Hey everyone,

This forum is a life saver! My quick story: Have a B.S in Biology graduated with a cGPA 3.2, science GPA 3.59. Volunteer at in the Peds Hema/Oncology Unit 12 hours a week, am registered for a spring semester EMT-B Class, and work part-time for the NYS Dept. of Health as a research scientist. I've been trying to prepare myself to apply to medical schools next year, I was going to apply to master's programs to improve my GPA and recently found out about these special programs.

Since I just recently found out about these programs I have yet to take the MCAT. I want to begin the program in this upcoming Fall '11 academic year. Do you think I could prepare for, take, and get my MCAT scores in time to make the deadlines for these programs? I know its going to be tight, but is this doable?

Any advice would be very helpful, its very overwhelming!
Assess your readiness: take a free practice MCAT on www.e-mcat.com. What you get on verbal isn't going to budge. Take this first free practice exam seriously - pretend it's the real thing.

If you can get a solid score in January, then Fall 2011 for an SMP is reasonable. Later than January, your MCAT won't be available in time for the good SMPs. SMP apps are open now.

That said, your GPAs aren't that far from good enough for med school. NY is tough, but if you get a competitive MCAT (32+) and apply early and broadly (NY and outside NY), you might get lucky.

Also: masters programs don't improve your GPA. Grad and undergrad GPAs don't mix on your app. If you do a medical masters (or SMP) that is designed to demonstrate med school capability, that SMP-grad GPA becomes a strong counterpoint to your undergrad GPA - an SMP doesn't change your undergrad GPA at all.

Best of luck to you.
 
I did the Barry University 1 year - track one SMP program, so if anyone has any questions just ask me on here or PM me.


J
Can you please tell us if you made it to med school through the program? Can you also share the link to the application, and are you in the Barry university school of medicine? Will you say this program guaranteed your admissions and does the program have affiliation to other unversities?

any info from you will be greatly appreciated

thanks


assis1
 
Assess your readiness: take a free practice MCAT on www.e-mcat.com. What you get on verbal isn't going to budge. Take this first free practice exam seriously - pretend it's the real thing.

If you can get a solid score in January, then Fall 2011 for an SMP is reasonable. Later than January, your MCAT won't be available in time for the good SMPs. SMP apps are open now.

That said, your GPAs aren't that far from good enough for med school. NY is tough, but if you get a competitive MCAT (32+) and apply early and broadly (NY and outside NY), you might get lucky.

Also: masters programs don't improve your GPA. Grad and undergrad GPAs don't mix on your app. If you do a medical masters (or SMP) that is designed to demonstrate med school capability, that SMP-grad GPA becomes a strong counterpoint to your undergrad GPA - an SMP doesn't change your undergrad GPA at all.

Best of luck to you.

Thanks Dr.Midlife! My GPAs aren't terrible but they are not great. It's the details about my transcript that make me nervous. I did horrible my freshmen year, steadily got better my sophomore year, and then my junior and senior year is where I made up for all my previous mistakes; getting 3.5-4.0's every semester for those last two years. So, my upper level course scores are great, but my general sciences are the opposite of great.

I'm going to take the MCAT January 28th in hopes to get into an SMP this fall. I'm taking that practice test this Friday very seriously so I know exactly where I need improvements. I would have liked more time to prepare myself, what is the average time a student takes to prepare for the MCAT? I feel a little rushed!

Anyways, thanks for the advice!
 
I did the Barry University 1 year - track one SMP program, so if anyone has any questions just ask me on here or PM me.


J
Hey,
Can you please share the link to apply for this program and did you get into any med school? if so which med school did you get in? Does the program award you a diploma or a certificate?

thanks
 
Hey,
Can you please share the link to apply for this program and did you get into any med school? if so which med school did you get in? Does the program award you a diploma or a certificate?

thanks
You're not going to get a response from somebody who posted three and a half years ago.

Please slow down. Please figure out more about what med school is before you give Barry any money. For example, pick up this book: http://www.galenpress.com/024.html.

You don't have any info about how bad (or not bad) Dr. Zeke's stats were when she did Barry's program. Please don't get excited about Barry rescuing you from a low GPA. Barry doesn't have a med school and thus makes no promises about getting you into one.

Best of luck to you.
 
You're not going to get a response from somebody who posted three and a half years ago.

Please slow down. Please figure out more about what med school is before you give Barry any money. For example, pick up this book: http://www.galenpress.com/024.html.

You don't have any info about how bad (or not bad) Dr. Zeke's stats were when she did Barry's program. Please don't get excited about Barry rescuing you from a low GPA. Barry doesn't have a med school and thus makes no promises about getting you into one.

Best of luck to you.

Thanks for the link!!! Definite looks like an excellent source for not just applying for med school but for a career in medicine as well!
 
I was just curious if anyone had experience with submitting an app to a smp with a C- on their application? Some of the smp's require "C or better" and unfortunately C-'s or better are illegal repeats at my university. Should I just retake the class anyway before I graduate? For my case in particular, it seems they reformatted the bio class I received a C- anyway, so maybe that is just my best bet although I would prefer not to take classes I do not need to take.
 
Yeah it is a prereq, 2nd quarter of the three quarter gen bio classes at UCD...I suppose I could do that. I am still a senior here though... I guess my main question is if taking a new version of the same prereq (it went from being called BIS 1B to BIS 2B) would satisfy that "C or better" req even though both would show up on the transcript (or if it's even necessary to do that if the "C or better" isn't rigorously enforced, maybe my best bet is to email all of smp's I'm applying to for that).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Also no SMP, even those with great linkage programs guarantee MD admissions or DO admissions for that matter.

Just an FYI.

There is no Barry University School of Medicine as I pointed out and Dr.Midlife pointed out.

And again, as I stated earlier, Dr. Zeke got into UMiami's MD program which is a pretty damn good school to get into. So it did help her to geti nto an MD school.


Thanks for the info you guys are awesome! Do students who complete the Barry SMP only attend DO schools?

Thanks again!!
 
Thanks for the info you guys are awesome! Do students who complete the Barry SMP only attend DO schools?

Thanks again!!
Can you even read?

You asked Dr.Zeke about Barry SMP who went to an MD school after completing their SMP at Barry....
 
you're not going to get a response from somebody who posted three and a half years ago.

Please slow down. Please figure out more about what med school is before you give barry any money. For example, pick up this book: http://www.galenpress.com/024.html.

You don't have any info about how bad (or not bad) dr. Zeke's stats were when she did barry's program. Please don't get excited about barry rescuing you from a low gpa. Barry doesn't have a med school and thus makes no promises about getting you into one.

Best of luck to you.

thanks drmidlife you rock! Are u a md student? If you dont mind me asking? My GPA isnt LOW! I'M JUST LATE APPLYING TO MED SCHOOL, FYI. Just thought SMP will be a great refresher!

Thanks again!
 
Lastly, if you looked at that site and did your own research instead of expecting people to do it for you, you'd see on their site the percent of people who get into med or not.
Barry doesn't show a percentage. Giving them money is more donation than investment.

Assis1: you are helpless. Doctors aren't helpless. Bit of a problem, that.
 
Midlife is a SMP student at EVMS BMS.

And as per SMP. SMP is a last shot for med school kinda program. it is not worth the debt you get by going if you have a good ugrad GPA and meant for a refersher course.

If you are just late then why not reapply early next time and do other things to strengthten your app like research full time or becoming a teacher for a year or doing some clinical internship or something else interesting.
I couldn't agree more with you, i'm strongly considering that route. I appreciate the input! Keep up the good work!
 
Hi,

I have a B.A. in political science from Northwestern University, Evanston, IL. While in school, my grades were poor. I am currently taking science courses at community college. By the time I finish (May 2011), I will have a science GPA of 3.2 and cum GPA of 3.25. I took the MCAT twice and scored 28O and 33R.

I applied to medical schools but do not have much hope of getting in, yet, as I have only a few science credit hours (26) and a dismal science GPA of 2.35.

I want to apply to (i) Univ of Cin. M.S. in Physiology, and (ii) RFU Masters in Biological Sciences this cycle.

Any advice will be appreciated.
 
I've been skimming through the entirety of this thread for the past two days and I must say that the patience of the people who answer questions here is amazing. If I may, I would like to further inconvenience you.

I have a 3.2 uGPA and 3.15 sGPA w/ a 37 MCAT. Applied early and broadly this last cycle but ended up with 1 interview and 0 acceptances. The GPA was not the only weak point of my app though as my clinical experience consisted entirely of one year spent volunteering in an african hospital, basically nothing stateside. I've corrected that, but I'm not sure it will be enough to make me a strong candidate. Also my GPA has the weight of about 6 years of courses, so it's very hard to improve.

I really want to get in next cycle. Something like the UCincy SMP, where you take med school courses and compete directly against the med school class, sounds like just the opportunity to prove myself, and I think I could succeed. Of course, it would mean my wife and I would quit our jobs, move across the country and dive back into debt.

What do you think? I know in a sense this is a gut call, but if you were me would you settle for incremental grade improvements (I could get a 3.3 GPA and 3.2 sGPA at best) in an informal post-bacc or go for the SMP?
 
I have a 3.2 uGPA and 3.15 sGPA w/ a 37 MCAT. Applied early and broadly this last cycle but ended up with 1 interview and 0 acceptances.
Job #1: protect that MCAT score. Don't risk a retake.
The GPA was not the only weak point of my app though as my clinical experience consisted entirely of one year spent volunteering in an african hospital, basically nothing stateside. I've corrected that, but I'm not sure it will be enough to make me a strong candidate.
Make sure you have:
1. a substantial amount of US clinical exposure. 40+ hours of volunteering & shadowing, minimum. If you haven't had a 2 am conversation with a senior nurse about health care policy and economics, you haven't done enough clinical volunteering. imho.
2. LORs that you know are solid, and you'll need a new one for reapplying
Also my GPA has the weight of about 6 years of courses, so it's very hard to improve.
Yup. I've got almost 25 years and 6 transcripts now. I feel ya.
I really want to get in next cycle. Something like the UCincy SMP, where you take med school courses and compete directly against the med school class, sounds like just the opportunity to prove myself, and I think I could succeed. Of course, it would mean my wife and I would quit our jobs, move across the country and dive back into debt.
The moving across country and diving back into debt is just as likely with a med school acceptance, so you can't bill that to an SMP.

The quitting of jobs is tough, because you might not know where you're going until it's time to go.

What do you think? I know in a sense this is a gut call, but if you were me would you settle for incremental grade improvements (I could get a 3.3 GPA and 3.2 sGPA at best) in an informal post-bacc or go for the SMP?
The SMP is faster, more expensive, and has a bunch of risks. As an old fart in an SMP after beating my head against more undergrad for multiple years without getting the 3.7+ I recommend to everybody, I recommend going SMP. Note that depending on the SMP, you might need to wait to apply until you finish the SMP. Same-year-as-SMP apps are late apps, but your MCAT should git'er done.

But: if you have access to a university where you would thrive, private or public, and you can get admitted and have access to a ton of upper div science that you haven't already taken...and by doing such a DIY you can postpone the cross-country move to a place where you have no roots and no family and might not stay but will give up everything to get there...and you're willing to wait to apply until after you're done with a year of 4.0 hard science...possibly meaning an MCAT retake...then I'd vote that's an SMP equivalent.

Or: make friends with DO.

Best of luck to you.
 
Thank you for the prompt response Dr. Midlife.

The SMP is faster, more expensive, and has a bunch of risks. As an old fart in an SMP after beating my head against more undergrad for multiple years without getting the 3.7+ I recommend to everybody, I recommend going SMP. Note that depending on the SMP, you might need to wait to apply until you finish the SMP. Same-year-as-SMP apps are late apps, but your MCAT should git'er done.

I'm hoping to be able to get in with a same-year-as-SMP app. Should I target programs with earlier start dates (Cincy, Gtown, EVMS) in that case?

And, boy, is there any flexibility at all in the Tulane ACP requirement of a waitlist? I am drooling over that tuition, and I did get an interview...
 
Hello SDN,
I am relatively new to SDN and this is my first post. I am clueless on what path to take going forward in creating my medical career. I graduated in 2009 from University of South Florida majoring in Biomedical Sciences with 3 minors I ended up with a 3.46 cGPA and a 3.32 sGPA. I took the MCAT twice with an 18Q and 19Q respectfully (horrible numbers). I worked full time throughout undergrad and continue to work full time to date. I also have strong research experience/ volunteering/ shadowing. I submitted an AMCAS application before I got my last score and surprisingly ended up with one interview and now I am waitlisted, and being considered for that school's post Bacc program (which would be a 5yr MD program depending on performance in the post Bacc). I also have an interview for Indiana University's post Bacc. My question is: if I am accepted to Indiana U's post Bacc (which has no guarantee of acceptance after the SMP) should I do the SMP or take a few classes as a non-degree seeking student and take MCAT PREP course? Any help would be appreciated!
 
Hello SDN,
I am relatively new to SDN and this is my first post. I am clueless on what path to take going forward in creating my medical career. I graduated in 2009 from University of South Florida majoring in Biomedical Sciences with 3 minors I ended up with a 3.46 cGPA and a 3.32 sGPA. I took the MCAT twice with an 18Q and 19Q respectfully (horrible numbers). I worked full time throughout undergrad and continue to work full time to date. I also have strong research experience/ volunteering/ shadowing. I submitted an AMCAS application before I got my last score and surprisingly ended up with one interview and now I am waitlisted, and being considered for that school's post Bacc program (which would be a 5yr MD program depending on performance in the post Bacc). I also have an interview for Indiana University's post Bacc. My question is: if I am accepted to Indiana U's post Bacc (which has no guarantee of acceptance after the SMP) should I do the SMP or take a few classes as a non-degree seeking student and take MCAT PREP course? Any help would be appreciated!
IMHO, what you need, in priority order:
1. 10 more points on the MCAT
2. 10 more points on the MCAT
3. 10 more points on the MCAT
4. 10 more points on the MCAT
5-9. 10 more points on the MCAT
10. GPA improvement or an SMP

The IUPAC/PPNT program doesn't include any MCAT activities, and you can assume you won't have time during that program to do MCAT prep. If you do this program, you still have to retake the MCAT and get about 10 more points before you'll have a successful med school app. If this program accepts you with a sub-20 MCAT, that says to me that it's not a program that seriously expects to put its graduates into medical school.

I expect that you'll want to prioritize MCAT prep first, and dedicate about 6 months to it, and spend money on a tutor if you need one, as if your career depends on it. Because it does.

Best of luck to you.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for your help I have been focusing on my mcat and I am scheduled to take it in may. I have been talking to advisors from different med programs and they all tell me to do an SMP, but I really didnt think that was the way to go since it's extra money on top of my future med school expenses. Im confused becaue I am told different things by different people. However, I feel that the 5yr program At my interview school may be a good opportunity if I am accepted. In my interview packet for IU and the school I interviewed at stated that their post Bacc programs have a 10 wk intensive mcat prep program, but from your response it looks like I can save a lot of money doing it with tutors and a little time. Thank you very much for clearing things up for me!
 
Thanks for your help I have been focusing on my mcat and I am scheduled to take it in may. I have been talking to advisors from different med programs and they all tell me to do an SMP, but I really didnt think that was the way to go since it's extra money on top of my future med school expenses. Im confused becaue I am told different things by different people. However, I feel that the 5yr program At my interview school may be a good opportunity if I am accepted. In my interview packet for IU and the school I interviewed at stated that their post Bacc programs have a 10 wk intensive mcat prep program, but from your response it looks like I can save a lot of money doing it with tutors and a little time. Thank you very much for clearing things up for me!
The average premed adviser looks at a 3.46/3.32 and thinks OMG because average is 3.6 or so. But you have an acceptable range GPA. Not a super competitive GPA, but acceptable. Half of accepted applicants have GPAs below the average. Right?

Your MCAT score is incredibly important. If you get an above-average MCAT score, then boom you have a fairly competitive app (if the rest of your app is solid with ECs & LORs etc.).

Which is probably why your advisers are telling you to look at SMPs. They don't think you'll get an above average MCAT.

What you should know is that without a competitive MCAT score, you are in no position to make your next move. There's no harm in dancing with the IU program, ahead of taking the MCAT, but if you're a Florida resident you don't stand to benefit by leaving FL unless it's for a big name SMP like Georgetown. USF has an SMP that is cheap and reputable.

Personally I'd like to see you spend a whole bunch of time on MCAT prep and ECs. If you need another year to get your MCAT score up, then sure, take some more classes. Just don't keep taking the MCAT over and over - every score you get is reported when you apply to med school.

Best of luck to you.
 
Please don't cross post; it's a violation of the SDN terms of service. I answered in the low GPA thread.