**The Official Guide to Special Masters Programs**

Started by braluk
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was reading some of the thread and it says that people who have started out with a decent GPA and then took a SMP and failed out--what happened to those people? Does anyone know did they ever get in to medical school? Did they have to retake the SMP?What happens in a case like that?
 
I was reading some of the thread and it says that people who have started out with a decent GPA and then took a SMP and failed out--what happened to those people? Does anyone know did they ever get in to medical school? Did they have to retake the SMP?What happens in a case like that?
Failing an SMP is a very expensive way to find out (or confirm) that you shouldn't go to med school. If you can't succeed in an SMP you won't succeed in med school. Keep in mind that 55% of med school applicants get rejected every year and most of the rejections have pretty good stats. Med school interviews (fallibly) weed out well-qualified students who aren't mature/focused/independent/resourceful/personable enough to do the job.
vennl.jpg


That said, the only anecdote I have is that "I've heard of" a student who did multiple SMP attempts (I heard 3) until the student succeeded, and then got into med school. There must be a large trust fund in that story, as well as highly-questionable SMP admissions offices. Also it was nice to find out that there's a more hellbent and ridiculous GPA comeback than mine.

Doing average in an SMP is more scary to me than failing one. If you fail, that's very clear. Even when you're successful, there's a stunning level of misery in keeping up with med school coursework. A reasonable person would find a less misery-prone path, after failing on the misery-prone path.

But if you do average in an SMP, then you didn't really do anything to help your med school app. Typically, the case is that the student didn't get into MD school with acceptable-range stats, and they don't want to do DO or Carib. So they do an SMP. By doing average in the SMP, they aren't going to fare any better in getting into an MD school (certainly not in the worst case of California). So they end up having spent $50k for nothing - they could have gotten in DO or Carib in the first place.

Best of luck to you.
 
Last edited:
I understand there are many resources 'out there' regarding letters of intent, but I was wondering if someone who was accepted into an SMP program could give me some advice. I have found that their really isn't much advice tailored specifically to SMP applicants for intent letters.

Would anyone consider showing me a letter of intent of their own? I can offer the highest trust a possible future doctor could offer. In no way would I use it wrongly, just as an example to see how straightforward the letter should be. If not, advice would be great.

thank you!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello, I've posted here before but my situation has changed and I have two big decisions I need to make. The one right now, is to whether or not take the MCAT or GRE. I can tell you right now I'm leaning toward the MCAT but let me tell you my situation and I want to get some honest advice and if my course of action sounds right.

Okay, a little about me, undergrad I was a bio sciences major, biochem minor. I graduated with a 3.45 cGPA and a 3.29 sGPA. I had an upward grad trend getting mostly B+'s and A's in my upper division bio sciences courses. Have multiple volunteering activities, the American Lung and Diabetes Associations, JDRF, New Jersey Medical Reserve Corp, College Leadership + Governing bodies, biomedical research experience.

Later this year I'm going to get going on my clinical exposure, hospital volunteer and 2-3 physician shadowing opportunities but I have plenty of time to do these since I would not be applying to MD programs till summer 2013.

I know right that for me to have any chance in hell of getting even interviewed for an MD program, I need to do some sort of Master's and do very well in it and at least higher than a 30 on the MCAT. As I see it I have 3 options, do an SMP, a hardcore science M.S. program or an MPH (certain one that combines science and public health). Right now I'm leaning toward the former 2 but I know friends personally who have done all three routes to boost their resume and are now in M.D. medical school programs (they all had similar if not slightly better stats then me). I've done extensive research on all 3 of these options and I have found not just SMPs but also MS and MPH programs that will accept MCAT scores in lieu of the GRE. That being the case, I think the MCAT is the way to go since the majority of these options accept it. The decision later this year will be based on my MCAT score, what one of those options to take for a Master's degree. Does that sound like a good plan of action for now? Study for the June MCAT and see how that goes?

Also, if I do apply to SMPs, I am only applying to one's that offer a Master's degree upon completion. Here is my reasoning on that, if I do decide to do the SMP route, I don't want to spend all that time and money not getting a degree and walk away empty handed God forbid I do not do well or do not get accepted into med school. I want something to fall back on. At least with a SMP Master's I could use some of that knowledge for clinical research, biomedical research, or a public health career if I had to. I've listed below the Master's programs that accept the MCAT and want your take on the list as well and see if I'm missing any.

* Univ of Pitt School of Public Health (Infectious Diseases and Microbiology) - M.P.H.
* George Washington Univ School of Public Health (PH Microbiology and Emerging Infectious Diseases) - M.S.
* Emory Univ School of Public Health (Epidemiology) - M.P.H.
* Tulane Univ School of Public Health (Epidemiology) - M.P.H.
* SUNY Albany School of Public Health (Biomedical Sciences) - M.P.H and M.S.
* UMDNJ School of Public Health (Epidemiology) - M.P.H.
* Univ of Michigan School of Public Health (Molecular & Hospital Epidemiology) - M.P.H.
* Univ of South Florida School of Public Health (Global Communicable Diseases) - M.P.H.
* Yale Univ School of Public Health (Chronic & Infectious Disease Epidemiology) - M.P.H.
* John Hopkins Univ School of Public Health (Molecular Microbiology + Immunology) - M.H.S.

* Univ of Cincinnati College of Medicine (Physiology) - Special M.S.
* Georgetown Univ School of Arts + Sciences (Physiology) - Special M.S.
* Eastern Virginia Medical School (Medical Sciences) - Special M.S.
* Boston Univ School of Medicine (Medical Sciences) - Special M.A.
* Tufts Univ School of Medicine (Biomedical Sciences) - Special M.S.
* Univ of South Florida School of Medicine (Medical Sciences) - Special M.S.
* Drexel Univ College of Medicine (Medical Sciences) - Special M.M.S.
* New York College of Medicine (Biomedical Sciences) - Special M.S.
* University of Toledo College of Medicine (Medical Sciences) - Special M.S.
* UMDNJ-Newark Grad School of Biosciences(Biomedical Sciences)- Special M.B.S.

* Seton Hall Univ College of Arts & Sciences (Microbiology) - M.S.
* Univ of Connecticut Graduate School (Microbiology) - M.S.
* Georgetown Univ School of Medicine (Microbiology & Immunology) - M.S.
* Temple Univ School of Medicine (Microbiology) - M.S.
* Thomas Jefferson College of Grad Studies (Microbiology) - M.S.
* Drexel Univ College of Medicine (Microbiology & Immunology) - M.S.
* Loyola Univ School of Medicine (Infectious Disease & Immunology) - M.S.
* Univ of Cincinnati College of Medicine (Immunobiology & Microbiology) -M.S.

By the way, the program's I choose are due to my geographical location. I'm not interested in moving to the west coast or southwest US so I stayed on the east coast, south, and mid-west. If there are any master's program's in those area's that I may have missed, please mention them so I can investigate. Thanks in advance for your input, it is greatly appreciated!
 
Last edited:
Quit whining - midlife answered you, and there is a reason why double posting isnt allowed cos it gets confusing and takes up space unnecess.

Also lose the attitude, then people might be more willing to help you
 
Quit whining - midlife answered you, and there is a reason why double posting isnt allowed cos it gets confusing and takes up space unnecess.

Also lose the attitude, then people might be more willing to help you

I never gave an attitude what so ever. The only person with an attitude is you. Your two posts go nicely to prove it! Also, get off your high horse and make better use of your time rather than complaining. You'll do much better in med school if you do 👍 I'm sorry a double post seemed to annoy you so much!
 
Last edited:
Hey man. I can definitely empathize with you.
First, I'm not sure you need an MBS unless there's something missing here? did you retake any classes? what is your GPA on AMCAS? I know people who've gotten into their state allo schools with around your GPA and a competitive ( 30+) MCAT. That's definitely the more cost-effective route.

On the other hand, if taking the MCAT is daunting to you and you don't have at least 3 months to commit to studying effectively 4-8hrs a day (I would swear by examcrackers for review, TBR for weaknesses, and Kaplan's online tests for practice), then an MBS may be a great option. You would probably have to take the GRE, which i assume would take a shorter amount of time to achieve a sufficient score in. I am currently in UMDNJ's MBS and doing quite well thus far ( knock on wood). I would recommend this over the MPH program since it can be completed in 1 year, and has a bunch of reputable faculty in research. It's also less expensive than many other MBS programs. However, you won't find much on success rates - the administration hasn't really done a good job of keeping track of graduates, but i hear good things on word of mouth and networking.
I don't know what an acceptable GRE score is for these programs, but an acceptable MCAT score to qualify for UMDNJ's MBS seems to be from low 20s and up. I think your GPA may buy you some buffer room. you can pump your GPA up maybe a couple tenths with a 4.0. The curriculum is difficult but not impossible - i'm sure we get hands-on opportunities not availed to students at other schools.


I wish you luck in this process. I would recommend that you make quick and efficient use of these next few months, i think you have to apply to the program by the end of april at the latest.

Robflanker seems to be a hawk for double posts. He once chastised me as well. He needs to be empathetic towards the high levels of anxiety inherent of this life choice. Congrats on your acceptances, Rob. Breathe & calm the **** down- a double post on SDN is hardly the end of the world. You have bigger hurdles to jump, now.


PS: i don't mean that you have a great cGPA and sGPA. I only meant that it may be a risk you'd be willing to take. Go really hard for your MCAT in may/ early june. Apply broadly to allopathic schools. Or you can take the GRE soon, apply to an MBS program for april, then study for your MCAT this summer while you wait to matriculate to an MBS program, and take that **** in August or September. OR, if you're feeling really ballsy, do both, at your own risk. Or, you can go really hard for your MCATs, apply to MD schools, and while you're waiting for interviews, apply to an MBS program as your backup. I'm not completely sure, but i don't see much preventing someone from enrolling in UMDNJ's MBS right before the spring semester.
...I dunno just chew on that for a bit. Not too long though!







Hello, I've posted here before but my situation has changed and I have two big decisions I need to make. The one right now, is to whether or not take the MCAT or GRE. I can tell you right now I'm leaning toward the MCAT but let me tell you my situation and I want to get some honest advice and if my course of action sounds right.

Okay, a little about me, undergrad I was a bio sciences major, biochem minor. I graduated with a 3.45 cGPA and a 3.29 sGPA. I had an upward grad trend getting mostly B+'s and A's in my upper division bio sciences courses. Have multiple volunteering activities, the American Lung and Diabetes Associations, JDRF, New Jersey Medical Reserve Corp, College Leadership + Governing bodies, biomedical research experience.

Later this year I'm going to get going on my clinical exposure, hospital volunteer and 2-3 physician shadowing opportunities but I have plenty of time to do these since I would not be applying to MD programs till summer 2013.

I know right that for me to have any chance in hell of getting even interviewed for an MD program, I need to do some sort of Master's and do very well in it and at least higher than a 30 on the MCAT. As I see it I have 3 options, do an SMP, a hardcore science M.S. program or an MPH (certain one that combines science and public health). Right now I'm leaning toward the former 2 but I know friends personally who have done all three routes to boost their resume and are now in M.D. medical school programs (they all had similar if not slightly better stats then me). I've done extensive research on all 3 of these options and I have found not just SMPs but also MS and MPH programs that will accept MCAT scores in lieu of the GRE. That being the case, I think the MCAT is the way to go since the majority of these options accept it. The decision later this year will be based on my MCAT score, what one of those options to take for a Master's degree. Does that sound like a good plan of action for now? Study for the June MCAT and see how that goes?

Also, if I do apply to SMPs, I am only applying to one's that offer a Master's degree upon completion. Here is my reasoning on that, if I do decide to do the SMP route, I don't want to spend all that time and money not getting a degree and walk away empty handed God forbid I do not do well or do not get accepted into med school. I want something to fall back on. At least with a SMP Master's I could use some of that knowledge for clinical research, biomedical research, or a public health career if I had to. I've listed below the Master's programs that accept the MCAT and want your take on the list as well and see if I'm missing any.

* Univ of Pitt School of Public Health (Infectious Diseases and Microbiology) - M.P.H.
* George Washington Univ School of Public Health (PH Microbiology and Emerging Infectious Diseases) - M.S.
* Emory Univ School of Public Health (Epidemiology) - M.P.H.
* Tulane Univ School of Public Health (Epidemiology) - M.P.H.
* SUNY Albany School of Public Health (Biomedical Sciences) - M.P.H and M.S.
* UMDNJ School of Public Health (Epidemiology) - M.P.H.
* Univ of Michigan School of Public Health (Molecular & Hospital Epidemiology) - M.P.H.
* Univ of South Florida School of Public Health (Global Communicable Diseases) - M.P.H.
* Yale Univ School of Public Health (Chronic & Infectious Disease Epidemiology) - M.P.H.
* John Hopkins Univ School of Public Health (Molecular Microbiology + Immunology) - M.H.S.

* Univ of Cincinnati College of Medicine (Physiology) - Special M.S.
* Georgetown Univ School of Arts + Sciences (Physiology) - Special M.S.
* Eastern Virginia Medical School (Medical Sciences) - Special M.S.
* Boston Univ School of Medicine (Medical Sciences) - Special M.A.
* Tufts Univ School of Medicine (Biomedical Sciences) - Special M.S.
* Univ of South Florida School of Medicine (Medical Sciences) - Special M.S.
* Drexel Univ College of Medicine (Medical Sciences) - Special M.M.S.
* New York College of Medicine (Biomedical Sciences) - Special M.S.
* University of Toledo College of Medicine (Medical Sciences) - Special M.S.
* UMDNJ-Newark Grad School of Biosciences(Biomedical Sciences)- Special M.B.S.

* Seton Hall Univ College of Arts & Sciences (Microbiology) - M.S.
* Univ of Connecticut Graduate School (Microbiology) - M.S.
* Georgetown Univ School of Medicine (Microbiology & Immunology) - M.S.
* Temple Univ School of Medicine (Microbiology) - M.S.
* Thomas Jefferson College of Grad Studies (Microbiology) - M.S.
* Drexel Univ College of Medicine (Microbiology & Immunology) - M.S.
* Loyola Univ School of Medicine (Infectious Disease & Immunology) - M.S.
* Univ of Cincinnati College of Medicine (Immunobiology & Microbiology) -M.S.

By the way, the program's I choose are due to my geographical location. I'm not interested in moving to the west coast or southwest US so I stayed on the east coast, south, and mid-west. If there are any master's program's in those area's that I may have missed, please mention them so I can investigate. Thanks in advance for your input, it is greatly appreciated!
 
Last edited:
Hey man. I can definitely empathize with you.
First, I'm not sure you need an MBS unless there's something missing here? did you retake any classes? what is your GPA on AMCAS? I know people who've gotten into their state allo schools with around your GPA and a competitive ( 30+) MCAT. That's definitely the more cost-effective route.

On the other hand, if taking the MCAT is daunting to you and you don't have at least 3 months to commit to studying effectively 4-8hrs a day (I would swear by examcrackers for review, TBR for weaknesses, and Kaplan's online tests for practice), then an MBS may be a great option. You would probably have to take the GRE, which i assume would take a shorter amount of time to achieve a sufficient score in. I am currently in UMDNJ's MBS and doing quite well thus far ( knock on wood). I would recommend this over the MPH program since it can be completed in 1 year, and has a bunch of reputable faculty in research. It's also less expensive than many other MBS programs. However, you won't find much on success rates - the administration hasn't really done a good job of keeping track of graduates, but i hear good things on word of mouth and networking.
I don't know what an acceptable GRE score is for these programs, but an acceptable MCAT score to qualify for UMDNJ's MBS seems to be from low 20s and up. I think your GPA may buy you some buffer room. you can pump your GPA up maybe a couple tenths with a 4.0. The curriculum is difficult but not impossible - i'm sure we get hands-on opportunities not availed to students at other schools.


I wish you luck in this process. I would recommend that you make quick and efficient use of these next few months, i think you have to apply to the program by the end of april at the latest.

Robflanker seems to be a hawk for double posts. He once chastised me as well. He needs to be empathetic towards the high levels of anxiety inherent of this life choice. Congrats on your acceptances, Rob. Breathe & calm the **** down- a double post on SDN is hardly the end of the world. You have bigger hurdles to jump, now.


PS: i don't mean that you have a great cGPA and sGPA. I only meant that it may be a risk you'd be willing to take. Go really hard for your MCAT in may/ early june. Apply broadly to allopathic schools. Or you can take the GRE soon, apply to an MBS program for april, then study for your MCAT this summer while you wait to matriculate to an MBS program, and take that **** in August or September. OR, if you're feeling really ballsy, do both, at your own risk. Or, you can go really hard for your MCATs, apply to MD schools, and while you're waiting for interviews, apply to an MBS program as your backup. I'm not completely sure, but i don't see much preventing someone from enrolling in UMDNJ's MBS right before the spring semester.
...I dunno just chew on that for a bit. Not too long though!

Thank so you so so much for the insightful advice. DrMidLife and you have been great with such informative information and given me a lot to think about. I sincerely appreciate it. Best to you as well in your program!
 
I'm applying to SMP programs right now, in case I hear all negatives (very likely with my GPA).

I just want to get some confirmation that I'm the right type of person to be doing an SMP:

2.9 ugGPA (3.1 sGPA)
3.7 ugGPA post-graduation (16 credits: the orgo's, biochem, and mol-bio)
total GPA is ~2.97
40M MCAT
2008 graduate, work in physics/chem research with 2 pubs so far (not first author) probably a couple more later, reasonable EC's

Is an SMP a good way to go here?
 
Is an SMP a good way to go here?
That MCAT score is your ticket to ride.

I think an SMP may be overkill for you. I would hate to see you spend $50k to do something you might not need.

You'll need to consider two app processes in parallel. You might be ready to go straight to med school, and you might want to use an SMP as a backup (sooner or later).

Between now and June, would you be able to flesh out a complete and compelling med school app, with lots of clinical exposure and ECs, letters of recommendation, well-reviewed essays, and as many more undergrad hard science classes with A's as possible? Do you have the money to apply & interview? If so, then I'd say you should go straight to AMCAS and give it all you've got.

Meanwhile, if you're considering doing an SMP, then get SMP apps done now. I'm assuming you'll apply MD in June 2011. The SMP decision, then, is whether you can wait to find out what happens in your MD app year or not. If you're in a big fat hurry, then sure, doing an SMP at the same time you're applying to med school will speed things up.

I'm inclined to recommend postponing an SMP until it's more necessary, which would be the case if you have an unsuccessful med school app year. If you apply early and broadly to med school, in June 2011, you would know by mid-fall 2011 if you need to apply to SMPs to better your chances for another MD app cycle.

Best of luck to you.
 
DrMidlife, thank you so much for the great response.
I applied this cycle (Fall 2011 start) and only got two interviews: one resulted in a rejection and the other is up in the air. It sounds like I'm at the tail end of the timeline you sketched out, and the verdict is just about in.
The cost is not an obstacle for me, so from what you've written, it sounds like I'm at an appropriate point: tried my hand, no dice.
Sorry I left out all of that relevant background in my original post.

As a side question- I'm consoling myself by deciding to believe that doing first year med school courses in an SMP will help me crush those classes during MS1 - because it will be my second time doing them - and thereby make me more competitive during residency match. Anyone have any experience with this? (the post-SMP success, not the delusions)
 
I applied this cycle (Fall 2011 start) and only got two interviews: one resulted in a rejection and the other is up in the air. It sounds like I'm at the tail end of the timeline you sketched out, and the verdict is just about in.
Before I would "bless" that as a demonstratively unsuccessful year, I'd want to know if your app was early and/or broad. When was your AMCAS complete, how many schools did you apply to, did you do substantial research to choose appropriate schools, and did you aggressively complete secondaries?

For example, if you were complete in August and applied to 5 schools, all Ivy, no blessing.
As a side question- I'm consoling myself by deciding to believe that doing first year med school courses in an SMP will help me crush those classes during MS1 - because it will be my second time doing them - and thereby make me more competitive during residency match. Anyone have any experience with this? (the post-SMP success, not the delusions)
A strong performance in an SMP gets 2 or 3 things done.
1) it gets you into med school, either at the host med school or elsewhere, sooner or later
2) [edit] in some cases [/edit] it absolves you of repeating M1 coursework that you aced, if you stay at the host school
3) it makes it almost fun to repeat M1 coursework, because you know from flocculonodular and QRS.

As far as making you more competitive for residency, well, there's this thing called M2. Which can hurt you really bad, what with path & pharm & micro & immuno etc. Nothing in your SMP, other than learning study skills, is going to help you in M2. More to the point, an SMP spreads your M1 across 2 years, and then when you hit M2, you get the full truckload.

Which isn't to say that an SMP has no bearing on your board scores. It's just no cause to relax.

Meanwhile: with or without an SMP, you should absolutely get all your GPAs up over 3.0. You are so close that it should not be that big a deal, and I do think it will make a difference.

Best of luck to you.
 
Last edited:
Hi all,

So... I did apply to MD programs this year. I had couple interviews but I'm not really that optimistic about my chances (I did this a couple years ago as well with the same result).

I'm in real need of some objective and helpful advice about where to go from here.

Here are the basics:

undergrad gpa: 3.3 (upward trend)
science gpa: 3.2
grad gpa : 3.9
MCAT : 33Q (first time I did 35R, but it expired so I had to retake it).

I had a rough sophomore year, and the fact that my freshman year was all on pass/fail didn't help my science gpa since that's when i took most of my pre-reqs... I have decent though probably outdated LORs at this point and I'm set to complete my masters at Drexel this June.

I'm looking into post-baccs but aside from the Drexel and gtown one which I've heard about before, I'm not even sure what I should be looking at or what programs I"m even a competitive applicant for. Your help is greatly appreciated!
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
While I agree with most of what you say, I do have to say that not every smp allows kids to SKIP M1 classes when they join the host school as M1s officially

Two schools come to mind with this:

1. Tufts Medical School
2. University of South Florida College of Medicine

So I would not post such a statement. EVMS, BUSM allow this but not every school does.
Really varies, but I would agree with this. At my current medical school, I could have used my credit I earned from good grades in the SMP medical courses (Physio, Biochem), and put it towards being exempt from them, but I know plenty others who do not allow it simply because their medical school's course of study is different than others (systems based learning versus subject based, for example). Some will allow you to become a TA for the course instead of redoing the entire course again. I opted to retake the courses again simply because I knew that I would do well in them, and that it would boost my grades. It's also advantageous for board exams, as I could not imagine doing well if the last time I touched those courses were over 2 years after my postbac (when you take your boards).
 
Hi everybody

cali, 3.2/3.2/36, biology major
ec: 1.5 years hospital volunteering, 70 hours shadowing, working as a clinical research assistant (for a private company, pretty much i just count cells, not really helping me), played d1 club sport in college, vice president of fraternity, pretty average ec's
my LOR were terrible in the sense that i only had 3 of them and only 1 was a science professor, the other two were grad advisor and volunteering coordinator. they all wrote good LOR though
i submitted early June, applied very broadly, no interviews at all

anyways, my gpa is pretty consistently mediocre, and i am at a crossroads. i dont know whether i should do an postbacc or an smp. my parents want me to do an smp after i explained it to them, but id like some advice from you guys. is an smp the best option for me right now? i think part of me is scared that if i do the smp and i mess up, then that was it, no more medical school for me.
 
Brief summary -

UC Irvine graduate holding a B.S. in Biomedical Engineering: Premedical. cGPA - 3.73. sGPA - 3.67. MCAT attempt #2: 32O (12, 8, 12). Unsuccessful during 2010-2011 application cycle. Plan to enroll in either a SMP or a M.S. and re-apply after completing program. Please advise which of the two, SMP or M.S., is the way to go (or if there are better/other alternatives) for my situation.
 
Last edited:
I don't think you need to do a SMP. Your stats are fine. I'd suggest you apply better though next time. You applied to a lot of mid tiers and high tiers and schools that don't take OOSers as much.

Except for Stonybrook, I'm not surprised by a lot of the rejections based on where they were from.

However, I think you should apply to schools like Downstate, upstate, buffalo, EVMS, Creighton (granted they are primary care focused they take a lot of cali people), even consider some of the newer Fl. schools like UCF which takes 25% out of staters and has interviewed people fromc ali schools, and others like that.

I think you'd get in.

Also what are your ECs like? MDapps doesn't say anything about it.


Also not sure why you withdrew from Ohio state but you had a decent shot there as far as mid tiers go. You also have a shot at schools like Wayne state, Toledo, SLU though that is a bit tougher in a way, GW though this is also a bit tougher in some ways due to sheer number of apps.

I'd reconsider where you apply next time. Perhaps continue strengthening ECs. I don't know what getting an MS will do for you but a research job with a lot more shadowing and volunteering perhaps may help.

Thank you for the prompt and thorough reply. I went ahead and updated my MDapplicants profile accordingly. Re-directing my q: which program do you think will benefit my situation more? A M.S. or a SMP?
 
Hmm my personal opinion is you don't have to do either but if you want to do something to keep yourself busy you could do a regular MS program. Or perhaps if you are in LA you could do the MS in epidemiology program at USC. I know someone in that program and she told me a lot of her classmates got interviews. they too took classes with M1s at USC but it was not necessarily an SMP per say.

I wouldn't do an SMP because in a way it will slow down your app process as many people doing SMPs will wait til you get at least your first semester grades for deciding to interview you even with your stats because they like to see how you did in med classes. if you screw up you will hurt your chances more then if you do a regular MS program which will be easier.

I would look into 1 year programs in the area that are non SMP. That is my opinion because you can further continue to strengthen ECs. Though you don't really have a bad application. The big thing with you is to to apply broadly.


Hmm where I'd apply to next time you apply if the whole VCU thing doesn't work out:

mix of mid tiers and low tiers. So some of the schools you applied to you can reapply to but then apply to schools like the following:

other SUNYs: Downstate, upstate, buffalo.
GWU
EVMS
UToledo
Ohio state

Possibly consider some of the new schools
UCF, Vtech, FIU, FAU

Consider applying to midwest schools like

SLU
MCW, UWisconsin (mid tier ranked but loves cali people).
RFU

These are the sort of schools you should add in there if you are going to have to reapply along with VCU where you interviewed and a few others from where you applied.

I think if you apply more broadly you should be ok. Also make sure your letters and essays are good if you have to reapply because it could be little things like that that messed you over.

I would talk to MD admissions directors if you can of schools you applied to and were rejected from to see in the different areas how you compared against other applicants.

In conclusion, Don't do an SMP if you can help it. Its hell, its costly, if you don't do well it will cost you. Its not needed with your GPA and MCAT. If I had your stats I'd never dream of doing one.

Thank you, yet again, for the prompt and thorough reply. After much debating and contemplating, I decided to pursue a M.S. program. Which program are you currently in?
 
x3r - id consider an mph

something to make you stand out; u clearly don't need the GPA help.
 
I'm in an SMP but that's cuz I don't have ur awesome numbers. lol.

You are too kind. Which SMP pgrm?


x3r - id consider an mph

something to make you stand out; u clearly don't need the GPA help.

I was considering doing a MPH but after doing some research on it, I concluded that it was not for me. Thank you for the advice and kind words though.
 
Last edited:
Failing an SMP is a very expensive way to find out (or confirm) that you shouldn't go to med school. If you can't succeed in an SMP you won't succeed in med school. Keep in mind that 55% of med school applicants get rejected every year and most of the rejections have pretty good stats. Med school interviews (fallibly) weed out well-qualified students who aren't mature/focused/independent/resourceful/personable enough to do the job.
vennl.jpg


That said, the only anecdote I have is that "I've heard of" a student who did multiple SMP attempts (I heard 3) until the student succeeded, and then got into med school. There must be a large trust fund in that story, as well as highly-questionable SMP admissions offices. Also it was nice to find out that there's a more hellbent and ridiculous GPA comeback than mine.

Doing average in an SMP is more scary to me than failing one. If you fail, that's very clear. Even when you're successful, there's a stunning level of misery in keeping up with med school coursework. A reasonable person would find a less misery-prone path, after failing on the misery-prone path.

But if you do average in an SMP, then you didn't really do anything to help your med school app. Typically, the case is that the student didn't get into MD school with acceptable-range stats, and they don't want to do DO or Carib. So they do an SMP. By doing average in the SMP, they aren't going to fare any better in getting into an MD school (certainly not in the worst case of California). So they end up having spent $50k for nothing - they could have gotten in DO or Carib in the first place.

Best of luck to you.



Can you please define "average in an SMP" and also "doing well in an SMP" in terms of GPA?

I mean, what GPA in an SMP should one get in order to prove oneself can do med school?
 
Can you please define "average in an SMP" and also "doing well in an SMP" in terms of GPA?

I mean, what GPA in an SMP should one get in order to prove oneself can do med school?

Generally doing "average" is around a 3.0, and doing "well" is 3.5+. Average is basically the level where the med students perform, so you need to exceed that to prove that you can handle medical school (since their courseload and time requirements are generally a fair bit higher than even the most rigorous SMP).
 
Generally doing "average" is around a 3.0, and doing "well" is 3.5+. Average is basically the level where the med students perform, so you need to exceed that to prove that you can handle medical school (since their courseload and time requirements are generally a fair bit higher than even the most rigorous SMP).

At BU MAMS, average is ~3.4-3.5 and the minimum for a "well" is 3.7. A GPA of 3.0 is borderline not passing a class, so it is hardly average.
 
At BU MAMS, average is ~3.4-3.5 and the minimum for a "well" is 3.7. A GPA of 3.0 is borderline not passing a class, so it is hardly average.

Ah, maybe it's curved differently there. At Drexel IMS, the B is set at the med student average for each class, and a C- is not passing. A and A- are in the Honors range, usually +90% (give or take). Thus, a 3.5 would be consistent with all Honors, and considered doing "well".

That said, yes, people certainly fare better with grades north of 3.7 or 3.8.
 
Junebloom, is your masters program at Drexel, the medical tract one? Or is this a separate masters program? How are your grades there, what classes?


I am Drexel MPH (Epidemiology concentration, 3.9 GPA)- I just got accepted into VTC today so I guess my question here is moot. I'm always up for making sure I have backup plans though 🙂 Thanks for the reply!
 
So ive been somewhat quiet on SDN forums trying to collect info and from what I gather I have a decent chance of getting into a SMP. Georgetown is my dream SMP, so ill be applying there but what would u more experienced members/current students say are my chances of getting into georgetown or another SMP?

my stats are:
uGPA: 3.3
major GPA: 3.34 (physiology and neurology BS from UCSD)
- also minored in psychology and got a 3.57 (dont know if that matters)
BCPM GPA: 3.3
MCAT: 35

I am just shy of a years experience working in research and have a good amount of volunteer hours at a hospital but other than that I dont have much EC activity since I had to help support my parents dry cleaning business sometimes even during school weeks, making me miss classes. Ive had a strong upward trend in GPA going from a 2.7ish in my sophmore year to what I graduated with getting mostly A's with a B+ here and there.
My red flags are a C in O.chem I and a C- in O.chem III and a C+ in O.chem lab. Took these all my sophmore year when I was extremely busy helping my parents. I still have one quarter left, so should i just retake the o.chem i got a C- in even though it wont effect my gpa?

Guess im asking cuz im wondering if it even worth trying to go the med school route or invest my time trying to do pharm or DO. Thanks in advance! i appreciate your input 😀
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Are you sure you want to do an SMP? it wouldn't be a horrible idea, but your GPA isn't crazy bad. maybe retake o chem, and see if you can bump those grades up because the Amcas averages those numbers (A+C/2 = B); it would certainly help your BCPM. however if you've retaken classes before, already know what your GPA is on the AMCAS, and you are certain that you can't get over the GPA hump, maybe try an SMP or a post-bacc.
A third route, and potentially the cheapest, is to apply, and to apply broadly to schools that are in your range. you may get lucky, and get a little extra respect by an adcom because of your MCAT. I don't know about georgetown, but you may have a chance at the next lower tier of schools, or your state school depending on where you live. I know a kid who got into USC off the waiting list with around your GPA and a lower MCAT. Maybe talk to the admissions counselor at a particular school and see if you can get some specific guidance because you're right on the border there credential-wise, and an SMP is risky unless you can devote that amount of time and resources into insuring you are successful. you may wanna look into UMDNJ's SMP - It's more affordable than other programs, the curriculum is tough but doable, and you can give yourself credibility by taking classes alongside medstudents, however few they may be. Plus, many ppl finish in 1-1.5 years.

I know i was all over the place, but with a 35 MCAT, i think you need to stick with this if it is truly your goal. these stats are certainly reparable, just do your research. Who knows you may get into a school off of what you have already. stay encouraged! good luck!

So ive been somewhat quiet on SDN forums trying to collect info and from what I gather I have a decent chance of getting into a SMP. Georgetown is my dream SMP, so ill be applying there but what would u more experienced members/current students say are my chances of getting into georgetown or another SMP?

my stats are:
uGPA: 3.2
major GPA: 3.34 (physiology and neurology BS from UCSD)
- also minored in psychology and got a 3.57 (dont know if that matters)
BCPM GPA: 3.18
MCAT: 35

I am just shy of a years experience working in research and have a good amount of volunteer hours at a hospital but other than that I dont have much EC activity since I had to help support my parents dry cleaning business sometimes even during school weeks, making me miss classes. Ive had a strong upward trend in GPA going from a 2.7ish in my sophmore year to what I graduated with getting mostly A's with a B+ here and there.
My red flags are a C in O.chem I and a C- in O.chem III and a C+ in O.chem lab. Took these all my sophmore year when I was extremely busy helping my parents. I still have one quarter left, so should i just retake the o.chem i got a C- in even though it wont effect my gpa?

Guess im asking cuz im wondering if it even worth trying to go the med school route or invest my time trying to do pharm or DO. Thanks in advance! i appreciate your input 😀
 
Hi guys,
So I've been reading these forums for some time now trying to decide if an SMP would be the best route for me. I was really hoping if any of you could give me some advice on this matter. I applied to around 25 schools for the 2011 MD cycle but received no interviews (mostly low-mid tier schools). I graduated from UC-Irvine in 2009 with a 3.5 and a MCAT score of 31M (7V 10PS 14BS).

I had 1 year of research experience working as an undergrad in a muscle physiology lab (mostly taking tissue samples), around 80 hours of shadowing and 100 hours of volunteering at a hospital in Taiwan. I'm completely lost at this point because I feel like my GPA, skewed MCAT and ECs all could have contributed to not getting in this year. I would really really appreciate it if you guys could tell me if you think an SMP program is the best route for me. Thank you so much in advance!
 
when did you apply?

Hi guys,
So I've been reading these forums for some time now trying to decide if an SMP would be the best route for me. I was really hoping if any of you could give me some advice on this matter. I applied to around 25 schools for the 2011 MD cycle but received no interviews (mostly low-mid tier schools). I graduated from UC-Irvine in 2009 with a 3.5 and a MCAT score of 31M (7V 10PS 14BS).

I had 1 year of research experience working as an undergrad in a muscle physiology lab (mostly taking tissue samples), around 80 hours of shadowing and 100 hours of volunteering at a hospital in Taiwan. I'm completely lost at this point because I feel like my GPA, skewed MCAT and ECs all could have contributed to not getting in this year. I would really really appreciate it if you guys could tell me if you think an SMP program is the best route for me. Thank you so much in advance!
 
SoundGood - you applied too late in the cycle. Not sure you need an SMP, an MPH might be a better, more cost effective solution AND apply earlier!
 
Thank you for the input robflanker. If you don't mind me asking why would a MPH be better suited in this situation? (sorry I haven't looked much into that route) Also, I have read from various posters that a 3.5 is considered on the low side of GPAs and my 7 on the verbal score is too low to be considered into almost all med schools. Would you recommend my time better spent on just strengthening my ECs and retaking the MCAT instead of taking the SMP/MPH route?

Thanks again!
 
An MPH is better suited in this environment whose grades are on the cusp of being good enough for med school, and the MPH serves as a good EC essentially by making you stand out a bit more. It also gives you an opportunity to demonstrate some graduate school academic skills. Its not as translatable to med school as an SMP is in the sense of "if i prove myself in the SMP, i'll prove to med schools i can do there curriculum".

3.5 cGPA is a little low for med school but plenty of people get in with it. A 7 on the verbal on the hand is bad.

You should definitely re-take the MCAT, strengthen your ECs, and maybe consider an MPH if you have an interest in it
 
Thanks for the words of encouragement bluv. i was actually thinking of retaking those classes since I know I can do better in them, ill be taking your advice and try to figure out a way to retake them. I live in socal, between ucla and uci, do i just call one of them and try to re-enroll or do people typically do that through grad school?

Are you sure you want to do an SMP? it wouldn't be a horrible idea, but your GPA isn't crazy bad. maybe retake o chem, and see if you can bump those grades up because the Amcas averages those numbers (A+C/2 = B); it would certainly help your BCPM. however if you've retaken classes before, already know what your GPA is on the AMCAS, and you are certain that you can't get over the GPA hump, maybe try an SMP or a post-bacc.
A third route, and potentially the cheapest, is to apply, and to apply broadly to schools that are in your range. you may get lucky, and get a little extra respect by an adcom because of your MCAT. I don't know about georgetown, but you may have a chance at the next lower tier of schools, or your state school depending on where you live. I know a kid who got into USC off the waiting list with around your GPA and a lower MCAT. Maybe talk to the admissions counselor at a particular school and see if you can get some specific guidance because you're right on the border there credential-wise, and an SMP is risky unless you can devote that amount of time and resources into insuring you are successful. you may wanna look into UMDNJ's SMP - It's more affordable than other programs, the curriculum is tough but doable, and you can give yourself credibility by taking classes alongside medstudents, however few they may be. Plus, many ppl finish in 1-1.5 years.

I know i was all over the place, but with a 35 MCAT, i think you need to stick with this if it is truly your goal. these stats are certainly reparable, just do your research. Who knows you may get into a school off of what you have already. stay encouraged! good luck!
 
Hey Everyone,

I posted my situation yesterday in another area of SDN, but thought I may get a different variety of responses from right here. Last week I was rejected at my state school and landed myself in a place where I don't really know the best thing to do. This past cycle I received 3 interviews, which have led to two waitlists. I have been more or less rejected from nearly all fifteen schools that I applied to.

This past season I applied only to MD schools that I felt I was competitive for, so I thought I'd have had better luck. I wasn't marked complete until the middle of September though, which may be my only real problem. I have a current GPA of 3.7 (3.62 when I applied last year), an sGPA of 3.5 and an MCAT of 30.

I have spent the last month or so trying to plan what to do in the case that I don't get accepted this season, and with my recent in-state rejection, this all feels a bit more urgent. Up until very recently, I had for the most part settled on the notion of staying where I'm at, working full-time, and trying to get a job at the hospital (actual hospital based clinical exposure being a weak point of mine). However, lately I've been kinda thinking that I might be someone that would benefit from an SMP program (I have my eyes on Georgetown).

Obviously, a big concern with the SMP is the cost associated with tuition, coupled with being unable to work. However, I feel that through taking this type of course, I'd definately start medical school in August 2012 with a significant advantage over others in my class having taken the SMP. Is this a good reason to opt for such a program?

Also, do I seem like someone who would benefit from an SMP, or does it seem that I'd be better served staying where I'm at, building clinical experience like I had planned, and maybe pursuing a new research endeavor?

Thanks in advance for your responses 🙂
 
You dont need a smp, you neec to apply early.

Hey Everyone,

I posted my situation yesterday in another area of SDN, but thought I may get a different variety of responses from right here. Last week I was rejected at my state school and landed myself in a place where I don't really know the best thing to do. This past cycle I received 3 interviews, which have led to two waitlists. I have been more or less rejected from nearly all fifteen schools that I applied to.

This past season I applied only to MD schools that I felt I was competitive for, so I thought I'd have had better luck. I wasn't marked complete until the middle of September though, which may be my only real problem. I have a current GPA of 3.7 (3.62 when I applied last year), an sGPA of 3.5 and an MCAT of 30.

I have spent the last month or so trying to plan what to do in the case that I don't get accepted this season, and with my recent in-state rejection, this all feels a bit more urgent. Up until very recently, I had for the most part settled on the notion of staying where I'm at, working full-time, and trying to get a job at the hospital (actual hospital based clinical exposure being a weak point of mine). However, lately I've been kinda thinking that I might be someone that would benefit from an SMP program (I have my eyes on Georgetown).

Obviously, a big concern with the SMP is the cost associated with tuition, coupled with being unable to work. However, I feel that through taking this type of course, I'd definately start medical school in August 2012 with a significant advantage over others in my class having taken the SMP. Is this a good reason to opt for such a program?

Also, do I seem like someone who would benefit from an SMP, or does it seem that I'd be better served staying where I'm at, building clinical experience like I had planned, and maybe pursuing a new research endeavor?

Thanks in advance for your responses 🙂
 
I have to give the OP thumbs up for this post. Very helpful, and very useful. 👍 👍

Besides that, I wanted to pick some brains and find out if anyone has had any experiences with NY SMPs or any in the Tri-NY-state area.

I've only heard amazing things about TouroCOM's SMP which guarantees admission into their DO Program after the 1 year program is completed. I'm actually going hard for this one since no others have crossed my path. I want to go the Do route anyway, so I guess it works out.

Most of the NY program's I've found are really postbac programs masked as SMP. So if anyone has any ideas of anything I can look into, or anything they might have had an experience with I would love to hear about it. 🙄
 
I have to give the OP thumbs up for this post. Very helpful, and very useful. 👍 👍

Besides that, I wanted to pick some brains and find out if anyone has had any experiences with NY SMPs or any in the Tri-NY-state area.

I've only heard amazing things about TouroCOM's SMP which guarantees admission into their DO Program after the 1 year program is completed. I'm actually going hard for this one since no others have crossed my path. I want to go the Do route anyway, so I guess it works out.

Most of the NY program's I've found are really postbac programs masked as SMP. So if anyone has any ideas of anything I can look into, or anything they might have had an experience with I would love to hear about it. 🙄

NYMC and UMDNJ Newark/Stratsford/RWJ are the other MD SMPs that I know in that particular area.

I suggest you do a bit more research beyond the Touro-NY program itself and about the medical school if you haven't already so you can make the best educated choice for yourself compared to the other DO programs that have a strong linkage. If you have and you are still set on TU-NY then more power to you.

Good luck
 
So I too am trying to figure out if an SMP or formal post-bacc is right for me.

I will have around a cGPA: 3.52 and sGPA: 3.45 after this semester with a very nice trend upwards. I am a 5th year biomedical engineer graduating this may. I applied late this cycle (complete around nov. 10th at most schools), got 2 interviews and I am waiting for a waitlist at one of them (rejected at the other).

EC's:
1500+ hours shadowing orthopods and working as surgery assistant at surgery center
2 years volunteer with First tee
9 months research on forewarning of AF (engineering heavy analysis), no pubs
3 months private tutoring high school student

The only problem is I have taken the MCAT 3 times. 25Q (10-ps, 7-v, 8-bs) on 7/30/2009, 23O (8-ps, 6-v, 9-bs) on 7/16/2010, and a 28Q (10-os, 9-v,9-bs) on 9/3/2010.

My thinking is an SMP/post-bacc would accomplish the following:
1) give me time to bring up my MCAT score (mostly b/c I bombed it that one time and had to retake quickly)
2) keep me in an academic mindset, so I don't get blown away if I make it into med school
3) give my decent app more academic credentials (i.e.-doing well in a program) so I can broaden my application exposure
4) get wet lab research exposure I haven't had as an engineer

For SMPs I was looking at:
Boston MAMS, Georgetown, Drexel, Cincy

And for Post-baccs:
Michigan ms in physiology, Case Western ms in physiology, columbia nutrition, harvard hcp


Help Please!! Thanks in advance!!
 
Thanks for the words of encouragement bluv. i was actually thinking of retaking those classes since I know I can do better in them, ill be taking your advice and try to figure out a way to retake them. I live in socal, between ucla and uci, do i just call one of them and try to re-enroll or do people typically do that through grad school?


ooo- I'm not sure what the best route to go about it is. Before you put too much stock in whatever is said here, I suggest you find the pre-med advisor at your school or a medschool admissions counselor at a school u wanna go to, and get an honest critique. Everything here is speculation, so it'd be safer to get something u can build on.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
so you know you're 2 weaknesses: MCAT and research.
- An SMP will not directly enhance your MCAT - i know you're thinking that upper division courses in bio would help you score higher, and I honestly don't believe its a content issue. You were able to achieve a 9 in your BS section, which clearly tells me you know the material. The prob may be in your preparation or the amount of time you're spending in your prep; as you'll find on SDN, many applicants spend upwards of 3 months studying. Also what materials are you using? are u using TBR? how many tests do you take? are u spending too much time reviewing content in those dense kaplan/PR books (thumbs down).
- research; kind of an unspoken requirement at most schools right? 9 months, unpub is not gonna cut it. But again, you don't necessarily need an SMP to address this. Although it would make it easier. The better fiscal option would to email a bunch of professors at your school, or local institutions and see if you can get a lab manager position, or offer to do some free research.
- Your GPA is not great and prob below the norm, but passable; apply broadly, and early. Get your secondaries done ASAP -honestly.
-IMO, don't do the SMP; however if you do choose to pursue it, it would be a productive way to spend your gap year if you can be successful. An SMP is very demanding, and one year programs may be difficult to get into.



So I too am trying to figure out if an SMP or formal post-bacc is right for me.

I will have around a cGPA: 3.52 and sGPA: 3.45 after this semester with a very nice trend upwards. I am a 5th year biomedical engineer graduating this may. I applied late this cycle (complete around nov. 10th at most schools), got 2 interviews and I am waiting for a waitlist at one of them (rejected at the other).

EC's:
1500+ hours shadowing orthopods and working as surgery assistant at surgery center
2 years volunteer with First tee
9 months research on forewarning of AF (engineering heavy analysis), no pubs
3 months private tutoring high school student

The only problem is I have taken the MCAT 3 times. 25Q (10-ps, 7-v, 8-bs) on 7/30/2009, 23O (8-ps, 6-v, 9-bs) on 7/16/2010, and a 28Q (10-os, 9-v,9-bs) on 9/3/2010.

My thinking is an SMP/post-bacc would accomplish the following:
1) give me time to bring up my MCAT score (mostly b/c I bombed it that one time and had to retake quickly)
2) keep me in an academic mindset, so I don't get blown away if I make it into med school
3) give my decent app more academic credentials (i.e.-doing well in a program) so I can broaden my application exposure
4) get wet lab research exposure I haven't had as an engineer

For SMPs I was looking at:
Boston MAMS, Georgetown, Drexel, Cincy

And for Post-baccs:
Michigan ms in physiology, Case Western ms in physiology, columbia nutrition, harvard hcp


Help Please!! Thanks in advance!!
 
so you know you're 2 weaknesses: MCAT and research.
- An SMP will not directly enhance your MCAT - i know you're thinking that upper division courses in bio would help you score higher, and I honestly don't believe its a content issue. You were able to achieve a 9 in your BS section, which clearly tells me you know the material. The prob may be in your preparation or the amount of time you're spending in your prep; as you'll find on SDN, many applicants spend upwards of 3 months studying. Also what materials are you using? are u using TBR? how many tests do you take? are u spending too much time reviewing content in those dense kaplan/PR books (thumbs down).
- research; kind of an unspoken requirement at most schools right? 9 months, unpub is not gonna cut it. But again, you don't necessarily need an SMP to address this. Although it would make it easier. The better fiscal option would to email a bunch of professors at your school, or local institutions and see if you can get a lab manager position, or offer to do some free research.
- Your GPA is not great and prob below the norm, but passable; apply broadly, and early. Get your secondaries done ASAP -honestly.
-IMO, don't do the SMP; however if you do choose to pursue it, it would be a productive way to spend your gap year if you can be successful. An SMP is very demanding, and one year programs may be difficult to get into.

To me a post-bacc/SMP would be overkill (to a degree) at this point if i can get my MCAT in a 31-33 range by the end of the summer and working in a lab; but at the same time, doing well in a post-bacc/SMP (with lab exposure) with a MCAT 31+ would make me that much better an applicant right?

I guess I'm considering the post-bacc/SMP b/c of your last point--it would be a good way to spend this upcoming year in case I don't get in with this summers application. So in essence, I am putting all my marbles into June 2012 app cycle with an SMP/post-bacc. I was only planning on applying to my 2 state schools b/c I got interviews and they said that my app was good enough to make it-just not this year...

Thanks for the advice, I really have no one else to get any kind of advice like this.
 
No prob. I know the feeling of being lost in this process and it sucks. if you talked to admissions ppl in ur state and they say your on the cusp, i think you can find some solace in that. With that said, there are not guarantees in that game. I still suggest you talk to some more admissions people so they can better point out things to walk on - It's already clear the MCAT is the first priority.

There are a lot of resources here on SDN regarding studying techniques of MCAT, particularly TBR. In my experience, exam krackers were a great review tool, TBR was great to enhance my weaknesses, and i was fortunate enough to get my hands on some online Kaplan exams. The key is to not kill yourself so much on knowing every little detail, but to focus on strategy and conceptualization which is the premise of the TBR books and also, something u can gain through taking copious amounts of practice exams. I think the second most important thing is discipline and commitment in studying.

Goodluck. you got this.


To me a post-bacc/SMP would be overkill (to a degree) at this point if i can get my MCAT in a 31-33 range by the end of the summer and working in a lab; but at the same time, doing well in a post-bacc/SMP (with lab exposure) with a MCAT 31+ would make me that much better an applicant right?

I guess I'm considering the post-bacc/SMP b/c of your last point--it would be a good way to spend this upcoming year in case I don't get in with this summers application. So in essence, I am putting all my marbles into June 2012 app cycle with an SMP/post-bacc. I was only planning on applying to my 2 state schools b/c I got interviews and they said that my app was good enough to make it-just not this year...

Thanks for the advice, I really have no one else to get any kind of advice like this.
 
Hey all, I was wondering if I could bring my situation before you guys for one last opinion. Right now I am on the waitlist at 2 MD schools and am waiting to hear from one more, so I am looking into alternative options.

My science gpa (3.33) is probably the biggest weakness on my application. MCAT is 32 (10-10-12) and volunteer experience is pretty strong. I have been told 2 different things by different people and want to know which is best. Some say that an SMP is best for me because I am borderline as it is now and it could help put me over the edge, but others say that an unofficial post-bac (like just taking the upper level sciences at Harvard or Penn) are preferable because it will actually help my undergrad science gpa.

From what I gather here are the pros and cons

SMP
+ if you succeed, good shot at the "home" med school of the place you attend
- risky -- must do well and substantially above class average
- doesn't really help you with other med schools (at least this data isnt documented)

Unofficial post bac
+ less structure, more time to volunteer, etc
+ less pressure
- it seems as if you have to wait another year to reapply so that those grades are included in your application

Thanks for any help if you can offer it!
 
SMP
+ if you succeed, good shot at the "home" med school of the place you attend
- risky -- must do well and substantially above class average
- doesn't really help you with other med schools (at least this data isnt documented)

Unofficial post bac
+ less structure, more time to volunteer, etc
+ less pressure
- it seems as if you have to wait another year to reapply so that those grades are included in your application

Thanks for any help if you can offer it!

for an SMP, it DOES help you tremendously with other medical schools - i mean it is basically the entire point of the program. It helps you especially for your state schools or even to state schools you dont have residents in.