**The Official Guide to Special Masters Programs**

Started by braluk
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

My science gpa (3.33) is probably the biggest weakness on my application. MCAT is 32 (10-10-12) and volunteer experience is pretty strong. I have been told 2 different things by different people and want to know which is best. Some say that an SMP is best for me because I am borderline as it is now and it could help put me over the edge, but others say that an unofficial post-bac (like just taking the upper level sciences at Harvard or Penn) are preferable because it will actually help my undergrad science gpa.

From what I gather here are the pros and cons

SMP
+ if you succeed, good shot at the "home" med school of the place you attend
- risky -- must do well and substantially above class average
- doesn't really help you with other med schools (at least this data isnt documented)

Unofficial post bac
+ less structure, more time to volunteer, etc
+ less pressure
- it seems as if you have to wait another year to reapply so that those grades are included in your application

Thanks for any help if you can offer it!

I'd take an SMP over the post-bacc. Your gpa isn't borderline, imo, it is low. An SMP would definitely help because you're taking science courses and showing medical schools that you can handle the curriculum. In addition, the gpa you get from that masters program will look favorably on the adcoms. I've never been a fan of post-baccs unless your gpa is actually borderline, wherein your case I'd say it's lower than that. If you think you have the ability to handle/excel in an SMP, then definitely go ahead and do that!

And SMPs DO help with Medical Schools. I don't know who told you that it didn't. 😕
 
I'd take an SMP over the post-bacc. Your gpa isn't borderline, imo, it is low. An SMP would definitely help because you're taking science courses and showing medical schools that you can handle the curriculum. In addition, the gpa you get from that masters program will look favorably on the adcoms. I've never been a fan of post-baccs unless your gpa is actually borderline, wherein your case I'd say it's lower than that. If you think you have the ability to handle/excel in an SMP, then definitely go ahead and do that!

And SMPs DO help with Medical Schools. I don't know who told you that it didn't. 😕


How about if you already have a regular master's in like cell bio? Would an SMP really matter?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
catinthehat- How many credits do you have?

before choosing between SMP and informal post-bac, you need to calculate how much you could change your undergrad GPA. If you have more than 200 credits, an additional 40 may not change it that much, and could swing the balance of your situation in favor of an SMP.
 
How about if you already have a regular master's in like cell bio? Would an SMP really matter?

Are you saying you did a masters in cell bio and still have a low gpa? The way I always looked at it is that SMPs are like the last shot at proving your previous gpa isn't a true reflection of your academic capabilities. So, if you did a masters in cell bio and still have a low gpa, then the SMP is tailored for you. Realize that SMPs are made specifically for what I'm saying - basically boot camp to prove you've got what it takes for med school. Also, a masters in cell bio might not help because medical schools may not recognize it as a suitable proof that you can handle med school. Grad programs vary A LOT so a good grade in one masters might not mean **** to a medical school because the program isn't good and throws out As like candy. I'm not saying your masters is crap, but you need to check with your local university medical school to see how they'd weigh your grades obtained in that masters. SMPs, on the other hand, are more recognized by majority medical schools as this rigorous course-load meant to prove to adcoms that you can/can't handle medical school.

0.02
 
Are you saying you did a masters in cell bio and still have a low gpa? The way I always looked at it is that SMPs are like the last shot at proving your previous gpa isn't a true reflection of your academic capabilities. So, if you did a masters in cell bio and still have a low gpa, then the SMP is tailored for you. Realize that SMPs are made specifically for what I'm saying - basically boot camp to prove you've got what it takes for med school. Also, a masters in cell bio might not help because medical schools may not recognize it as a suitable proof that you can handle med school. Grad programs vary A LOT so a good grade in one masters might not mean **** to a medical school because the program isn't good and throws out As like candy. I'm not saying your masters is crap, but you need to check with your local university medical school to see how they'd weigh your grades obtained in that masters. SMPs, on the other hand, are more recognized by majority medical schools as this rigorous course-load meant to prove to adcoms that you can/can't handle medical school.

0.02

Of course. I wanted to do research but am now warming up to the idea of becoming a doctor. I will still need to raise my uGPA of a 2.87 to at least a 3.0 to get looked at by any SMP prog. If grade inflation is a problem it makes sense that they do not weigh the regular masters as being no more than an EC.

How would you view going back to a post-bacc after recieving this masters?
 
Of course. I wanted to do research but am now warming up to the idea of becoming a doctor. I will still need to raise my uGPA of a 2.87 to at least a 3.0 to get looked at by any SMP prog. If grade inflation is a problem it makes sense that they do not weigh the regular masters as being no more than an EC.

How would you view going back to a post-bacc after recieving this masters?


If money/time isn't a concern and you're okay with another year of studying like crazy then I'd recommend it. I would recommend an SMP over a post-bacc. SMP, as I've stated a lot and will continue to reinforce :laugh:, are a better choice for people in your situation. You get the chance to prove yourself moreso than a post-bacc. I wasn't optimistic about doing it, but the SMP I did definitely helped as I have the acceptance I want to Med School.

Also, as a sidenote, I'm coming from the same background as yourself with being in cancer research for years before being 100% sure medicine is what I wanted. My undergrad gpa was low and being out of school for a while meant an SMP was the best choice. A post-bacc wouldn't of helped because it didn't tailor to what I wanted to get - a chance to prove I can succeed academically.
 
Hello!

Since I did not get accepted to a medical school the first round, I debated long and hard if I should attend a regular master's program or look towards special masters programs. Eventually I decided that a SMP was the best route for me. I applied and was was recently accepted to the SMP at Indiana University.

They have a required summer MCAT course which helps me out because that is one aspect of my application that was lacking. Also, out of the 25 or so students in the program, almost all have acceptances after their first year. However, some can continue on if not accepted after the first year and a masters degree is awarded after the second year.

Is anyone a current student or a past student of the SMP at IU?

-Jess (Illinois)
 
If money/time isn't a concern and you're okay with another year of studying like crazy then I'd recommend it. I would recommend an SMP over a post-bacc. SMP, as I've stated a lot and will continue to reinforce :laugh:, are a better choice for people in your situation. You get the chance to prove yourself moreso than a post-bacc. I wasn't optimistic about doing it, but the SMP I did definitely helped as I have the acceptance I want to Med School.

Also, as a sidenote, I'm coming from the same background as yourself with being in cancer research for years before being 100% sure medicine is what I wanted. My undergrad gpa was low and being out of school for a while meant an SMP was the best choice. A post-bacc wouldn't of helped because it didn't tailor to what I wanted to get - a chance to prove I can succeed academically.


I actually am a research assistant at Karmanos Cancer Institute(Wayne State), so essentially get free tuition. Thanks for you consistent responses these are burning questions that I need answers to.

So basically I will still have to do a little bit of post bacc to get my gpa to 3 then apply for SMP. And as you say you dont think it's too risky to go do this even after recieving a 'regular' master's lol just making sure I got it.

So what is your take on retaking classes that are old and/or like C's? Also here at Wayne some upper level bio courses ARE graduate courses that I can take as a post bacc is this a problem?
 
Are you saying you got into an SMP with lower than a 3.0 GPA??

Nah, My undergrad gpa was a 3.2 so I guess I had a better opportunity. Is your gpa that low even with your Masters or without? If it's that low and restricting you from being accepted to SMPs, then yes, taking some post-bacc courses might be more benefitial at this point. Though you'd have to take at least a semester to get the GPA above a 3.0 to be considered.


So basically I will still have to do a little bit of post bacc to get my gpa to 3 then apply for SMP. And as you say you dont think it's too risky to go do this even after recieving a 'regular' master's lol just making sure I got it.

So what is your take on retaking classes that are old and/or like C's? Also here at Wayne some upper level bio courses ARE graduate courses that I can take as a post bacc is this a problem?

No, it's not risky. It's more beneficial for you to do the SMP at this point than try to apply wtih just the post-bacc just to get your gpa up to above a 3.0. An SMP helped me out a lot and my interviewers definitely mentioned of my academic improvement.

Okay, retaking classes might help but it'd only bring it up to a B. I honestly wouldn't deal with retaking but that's my take. I'd focus on a post-bacc and getting into an SMP and get that taken care of.
 
Hello!

Since I did not get accepted to a medical school the first round, I debated long and hard if I should attend a regular master's program or look towards special masters programs. Eventually I decided that a SMP was the best route for me. I applied and was was recently accepted to the SMP at Indiana University.

They have a required summer MCAT course which helps me out because that is one aspect of my application that was lacking. Also, out of the 25 or so students in the program, almost all have acceptances after their first year. However, some can continue on if not accepted after the first year and a masters degree is awarded after the second year.

Is anyone a current student or a past student of the SMP at IU?

-Jess (Illinois)


Read this

And PM me if you have any questions 🙂
 
Hullo, everyone. This is my first post, but I have read the thread almost in its entirety over the last few days. It seems to be the trend to post numbers and prospects of acceptance to programmes, so I thought I would do the same. Further, I have a few general questions, which, due to oversight on my part might have previously been answered. My apologies for any redundancies. Numbers: 3.1 overall gpa MCAT 24P (10 Verbal, 06 Pys Sci, 08 Bio Sci) I applied to several medical schools far too late in the application cycle (regardless that my naivete actually thought I had some sort of prospect with these numbers), and obviously have not received acceptance. What would anyone/everyone suggest as my next move? However, I must state that a D.O. is not an option (I want to practise abroad in the future, and many countries still apply unjustifiable prejudices to this degree). Shall I persue the UK? Do I have a prospect with the SMP? Should I just retake the MCAT? What would be my best route this Summer? Please, help! Is there a complete list of Special Master's Programs? I am in the process of investigation, but it seems to be a tedious effort. Sorry for so many inqueries at once, but I had no prior knowledge of The Special Master's until just last week, and I do not want to miss the opportunity to apply if that is my best route. I have no advisor, so this thread is all that I have for recommendations, and I've no idea what I should persue.
 
Re-take the MCAT, do an SMP, consider the Carib.

Forget the UK, you won't get in - its hard to go to the UK as an american student for medicine
 
Re-take the MCAT, do an SMP, consider the Carib.

Forget the UK, you won't get in - its hard to go to the UK as an american student for medicine

Thank you for your input. Does anyone else have suggestions? I have taken the MCAT prep course, but I was not fully committed (I do not want to go into detail, but, I broke my neck and was not focused last Summer while I was prepping.). Thanks.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you for your input. Does anyone else have suggestions? I have taken the MCAT prep course, but I was not fully committed (I do not want to go into detail, but, I broke my neck and was not focused last Summer while I was prepping.). Thanks.

There's no harm in applying to SMPs this year (aside from the hassle and application fees), but I certainly wouldn't expect much success this cycle.

Your best bet would be to retake the MCAT whenever you feel comfortable getting as far north of 30 as possible, and apply this fall/spring for SMPs starting in the fall of 2012. Depending on your final MCAT and your first semester SMP performance, it could be worth applying to US allopathic schools for a fall 2013 start.
 
catinthehat- How many credits do you have?

before choosing between SMP and informal post-bac, you need to calculate how much you could change your undergrad GPA. If you have more than 200 credits, an additional 40 may not change it that much, and could swing the balance of your situation in favor of an SMP.

I have just under 170 math/science credits to date because I am a humanities major undergrad...does that swing things in favor of any side? I calculated it out, and if I do 6 4-credit courses next year in post-bac, pulling all A's, I could get that BCMP GPA over the 3.5 hump...

I only ask because I have 2 hesitations about SMP's: (1) risk and (2) $$$....though if it is the best bet, I can put it all on the table.
 
Last edited:
I have just under 170 math/science credits to date because I am a humanities major undergrad...does that swing things in favor of any side? I calculated it out, and if I do 6 4-credit courses next year in post-bac, pulling all A's, I could get that BCMP GPA over the 3.5 hump...

I only ask because I have 2 hesitations about SMP's: (1) risk and (2) $$$....though if it is the best bet, I can put it all on the table.

The risk is there for a reason. If medicine is really what you want to do and you strongly believe your undergrad gpa wasn't a proper reflection of your academic prowess and a post-bacc wouldn't bring your gpa that much further/into competitive territory; then do an SMP. If you really want to do medicine, then the cost shouldn't really negate you doing it.

Going by what you said, 6 4 credit hour courses could be good. But if I were in your shoes, I'd see if you can get into 3.6 territory. A 3.5 is in an area I'd hate to be in, imo, when applying to med school. But the choice is yours at this point. If time is on your side and you're not all concerned about applying immediately, then do a post-bacc and see how it works out. If that doesn't work out to your liking, then I'd definitely 100% recommend an SMP.
 
The risk is there for a reason. If medicine is really what you want to do and you strongly believe your undergrad gpa wasn't a proper reflection of your academic prowess and a post-bacc wouldn't bring your gpa that much further/into competitive territory; then do an SMP. If you really want to do medicine, then the cost shouldn't really negate you doing it.

Going by what you said, 6 4 credit hour courses could be good. But if I were in your shoes, I'd see if you can get into 3.6 territory. A 3.5 is in an area I'd hate to be in, imo, when applying to med school. But the choice is yours at this point. If time is on your side and you're not all concerned about applying immediately, then do a post-bacc and see how it works out. If that doesn't work out to your liking, then I'd definitely 100% recommend an SMP.

Great advice. Thank you.
 
Hi all,

I just got my MCAT score back. I knew that it wasn't stellar when I was taking it and have been confused ever since.

I'm thinking about applying to an SMP. I've read this thread, and it seems that many are implying that SMP's are for people with low GPAs. But I feel like my application could only benefit from an SMP right?

I graduated undergrad in May 2010 with a 3.68 cGPA and 3.5sGPA. I took the MCAT May 2010 and got a 28R. I just took the MCAT again March and got a 29S (grr).
May 2010 8PS 11V 9BS
Mar 2011 8PS 10V 11BS

Here's my big thing, though, I want to stay in Massachusetts/New England. I'm planning on calling Tufts SMP to see if I can apply for this fall.

I think I have a strong application, other than the MCAT. I have a lot of clinical experience after 3 years as an EMT and now working in a clinic in a homeless shelter. I am in Americorps/Community HealthCorps now. I also have a ton of leadership experience, but no research experience. I want to eventually work with underserved populations.

I think it would actually be really cool to be able to take 1st year medical school classes before getting in. I didn't get a chance to take biochem and a lot of upper level science courses in undergrad because I was taking some health policy classes and Spanish. So, basically, I want to prove that I can do the science even if I somehow still got another freaking 8 in PS.

So, what's the downside of doing an SMP before applying? Other than the $$$$ of course, I realize that one's big. But shouldn't it only help me get in?

Unless I do poorly, right? Since these are med classes, if I do poorly, doesn't that mean I would have just done poorly in med school?
 
Thanks gujuDoc for replying.
I think I'm leaning towards on apply for an SMP now after a whole 48 hours of looking into them. My big question now is if I should put my application in on June 1 this year or if I should do the program and then apply next year. Whether or not I do the lab thesis or the literature review depends on whether or not I apply this cycle or next cycle.

Believe me, if I felt like I could bounce up 4 points, I would be so happy. I was scoring 30-34 on my practice tests. I think, perhaps understandably, I'm scared to take the 3rd MCAT because I so strongly thought I was going to break 30 this time.

Does it make sense for me to put the application in this June or should I just hold off until next year?

Plan A: Apply June 1 with a 29S and tell schools I'm doing and SMP and send my SMP scores to med schools for as long as they'll listen. Do the SMP in one year if I get in. Do it in 2 years if I don't.
Plan B: Apply June 1 with a 29S and retake the MCAT in Julyish (really not prepared because I don't want to take it a THIRD time feeling lousy about myself)
Plan C: Start an SMP this fall 2011, don't retake MCAT, apply to schools next June after having done stellar in SMP courses but not retaken the MCAT, do SMP in 2 years and get the MPH or do lab thesis while I wait
Plan D: Start an SMP this fall 2011, retake MCAT next spring, apply to schools next June, do SMP in 2 years and get the MPH or do lab thesis

Thanks so much. I really appreciate your advice.
 
Does it make sense for me to put the application in this June or should I just hold off until next year?

Plan A: Apply June 1 with a 29S and tell schools I'm doing and SMP and send my SMP scores to med schools for as long as they'll listen. Do the SMP in one year if I get in. Do it in 2 years if I don't.
Plan B: Apply June 1 with a 29S and retake the MCAT in Julyish (really not prepared because I don't want to take it a THIRD time feeling lousy about myself)
Plan C: Start an SMP this fall 2011, don't retake MCAT, apply to schools next June after having done stellar in SMP courses but not retaken the MCAT, do SMP in 2 years and get the MPH or do lab thesis while I wait
Plan D: Start an SMP this fall 2011, retake MCAT next spring, apply to schools next June, do SMP in 2 years and get the MPH or do lab thesis

Thanks so much. I really appreciate your advice.

Looking at your post, it seems that the PS is what's holding you back at this point for the MCAT. So, it all comes down to building up the confidence in that portion of the MCAT. I wouldn't continuously hammer away at taking MCATs but I would strongly consider re-evaluating your weakness and working on THAT aspect.

Regarding your options, I'd say try to do the SMP first for 2 years and also work on the weakness on your MCAT. Quite honestly, those stats you have now could get you into Med School easily, especially with your EC/Volunteer. So, the only thing really holding you back is your MCAT. I'd say Plan D is what you're really looking for, imo.
 
Background info:

There are no excuses here... just regrets and foolishness.

I graduated from a top tier liberal arts college in '07 with a BS in Business Administration. I am in a unique position, however, as I had always been interested in science so I also majored (BA level) in Chemistry. So I have all the medical pre-reqs completed. Here I am 4 years and two jobs later and I have found my current career path unsatisfactory. Things that mattered to me previously (more money, less effort, more "fun") no longer have an appeal. I want a more fulfilling career and I've had a few medical problems recently that have brought me into contact with several doctors. My experiences with them changed my opinion on medical school which I had scoffed at most of my life as a life of hard work and debt made little sense to me when you can make more money doing other things without those sacrifices. Now, the debt, the work, don't matter to me and being a doctor does.

You can probably tell with the mindset I had, that my college career from a standpoint of wanting to get into medical school was a disaster. Grades held no meaning to me. I aimed for straight B's and would settle for a C in extremely difficult classes. A's came rarely, and literally were by accident. Many of my classes I took because I was interested, or because some of my pre-med friends were taking the and hence were exceedingly difficult and had no relation to my major (e.g. Neuroscience). I even took Organic Chemistry abroad at St. Andrews with medical students for the experience, even though I had absolutely no interest in medical school at that point.

As you can imagine, my GPA is now my worst nightmare.

The situation:

I finished with a 2.815 in college. I have a 147 college credits, but luckily only 117 are calculated in GPA (the abroad courses don't factor, and neither did my 9 AP classes from high school).

My science GPA is an even more dismal 2.65.

While I have worked ever since high school, I have no extra curriculars useful to medical school. I have already begun volunteering at two hospitals. I plan on reaching out to a doctor that offered me a spot on his research staff after graduating from college that I had declined at the time, and offering to work their for free. I know a couple doctors that will allow me to shadow them at their office. Hopefully, 1 year is sufficient to build up my resume for an SMP.

I have no recommendations from college, as I don't even remember my professors any longer. Even if I did, I doubt my attitude in college would inspire any letters I want circulating around. I do know doctors that would be willing to write on my behalf, but hopefully the above EC's are what will garner me glowing letters.

Course of action:

My current path of action is to take the MCAT in a couple months... when I am consistently scoring in the high 30's on practice exams. Standardized testing has always been kind to me, so hopefully that trend will continue.

I will enroll at a local university offering post-bacc courses for 2011 Fall and Winter courses in upper level science classes. A couple semesters worth of 4.0's should be able to push me out of the sub 3.0 death zone. If I cannot accomplish this, then there is no reason to believe I would be able to succeed in the next part of my plan anyway... and it would be time to go to plan B as a Nurse Practitioner or PA.

In early 2012, I will begin to apply to local SMP courses. As I live in Chicago... Loyola and Rosalind Franklin are both good options. I would then apply for 2013 entry to medical school at the host school, both programs seem to have very good percentages should I do this. I feel that once I get in the door this way and am granted my second chance, I won't waste it and can take care of the rest.

Does this sound reasonable to any of you? Or is my shoddy GPA simply too much of an obstacle to overcome?

Thanks in advance to any and all that reply with their thoughts.
 
consider an SMP. It may not be enough to just raise your cGPA, you may do more by completing upper level courses/ compete against medical students. Also, consult a medschool admissions person to weigh your options.
 
Background info:

There are no excuses here... just regrets and foolishness.

I graduated from a top tier liberal arts college in '07 with a BS in Business Administration. I am in a unique position, however, as I had always been interested in science so I also majored (BA level) in Chemistry. So I have all the medical pre-reqs completed. Here I am 4 years and two jobs later and I have found my current career path unsatisfactory. Things that mattered to me previously (more money, less effort, more "fun") no longer have an appeal. I want a more fulfilling career and I've had a few medical problems recently that have brought me into contact with several doctors. My experiences with them changed my opinion on medical school which I had scoffed at most of my life as a life of hard work and debt made little sense to me when you can make more money doing other things without those sacrifices. Now, the debt, the work, don't matter to me and being a doctor does.

It happens to everyone. Brush it off for now and focus on what you want. I thought the path of money first was what I wanted and I found out I didn't enjoy that, either. :laugh:

You can probably tell with the mindset I had, that my college career from a standpoint of wanting to get into medical school was a disaster. Grades held no meaning to me. I aimed for straight B's and would settle for a C in extremely difficult classes. A's came rarely, and literally were by accident. Many of my classes I took because I was interested, or because some of my pre-med friends were taking the and hence were exceedingly difficult and had no relation to my major (e.g. Neuroscience). I even took Organic Chemistry abroad at St. Andrews with medical students for the experience, even though I had absolutely no interest in medical school at that point.

As you can imagine, my GPA is now my worst nightmare.

The situation:

I finished with a 2.815 in college. I have a 147 college credits, but luckily only 117 are calculated in GPA (the abroad courses don't factor, and neither did my 9 AP classes from high school).

My science GPA is an even more dismal 2.65.

This will be your battle. You've gotta focus on getting your gpa up to/close to a 3.0 as best as you can. Post-baccs are exactly what you want to do for the timebeing in order to focus on getting that gpa up there.

While I have worked ever since high school, I have no extra curriculars useful to medical school. I have already begun volunteering at two hospitals. I plan on reaching out to a doctor that offered me a spot on his research staff after graduating from college that I had declined at the time, and offering to work their for free. I know a couple doctors that will allow me to shadow them at their office. Hopefully, 1 year is sufficient to build up my resume for an SMP.

That's a very common misconception amongst pre-meds; you have to have some ridiculous amount of work relating only to clinical/hospital settings which is completely false. It's good to have some volunteering/shadowing, but if you've worked in customer service and talked with people; that goes a long way.

I have no recommendations from college, as I don't even remember my professors any longer. Even if I did, I doubt my attitude in college would inspire any letters I want circulating around. I do know doctors that would be willing to write on my behalf, but hopefully the above EC's are what will garner me glowing letters.

Your post-bacc/SMP will garner those LORs for Med School. If you're worried about LORs for post-baccs, then look to your employer/physicians. At this point, try getting LORs for post baccs and then focus on getting LOR for med school from the SMP/Post-bacc courses.

Course of action:

My current path of action is to take the MCAT in a couple months... when I am consistently scoring in the high 30's on practice exams. Standardized testing has always been kind to me, so hopefully that trend will continue.

I will enroll at a local university offering post-bacc courses for 2011 Fall and Winter courses in upper level science classes. A couple semesters worth of 4.0's should be able to push me out of the sub 3.0 death zone. If I cannot accomplish this, then there is no reason to believe I would be able to succeed in the next part of my plan anyway... and it would be time to go to plan B as a Nurse Practitioner or PA.

In early 2012, I will begin to apply to local SMP courses. As I live in Chicago... Loyola and Rosalind Franklin are both good options. I would then apply for 2013 entry to medical school at the host school, both programs seem to have very good percentages should I do this. I feel that once I get in the door this way and am granted my second chance, I won't waste it and can take care of the rest.

Does this sound reasonable to any of you? Or is my shoddy GPA simply too much of an obstacle to overcome?

Thanks in advance to any and all that reply with their thoughts.

Your course of action is what you should strive to do. Aim to get your post-bacc courses done and get into an SMP. Have your MCAT done by the time you're ready to go into your SMP so that when you're finished with that, you can apply to Medical School. You need to do a post-bacc so adcoms for SMPs know you're serious about their program. A strong upward trend and a great MCAT score will definitely earn you admissions to their SMPs. Knock the SMP out and Med School is in your path. Also, consider both DO and MD schools. There is no difference, it's just playing this game smart. I wouldn't consider PA schools if you're deadset on being a physician because a strong upward trend with an SMP/good MCAT score will land you somewhere in MD/DO med schools 👍
 
Hello!

Since I did not get accepted to a medical school the first round, I debated long and hard if I should attend a regular master's program or look towards special masters programs. Eventually I decided that a SMP was the best route for me. I applied and was was recently accepted to the SMP at Indiana University.

They have a required summer MCAT course which helps me out because that is one aspect of my application that was lacking. Also, out of the 25 or so students in the program, almost all have acceptances after their first year. However, some can continue on if not accepted after the first year and a masters degree is awarded after the second year.

Is anyone a current student or a past student of the SMP at IU?

-Jess (Illinois)
Which program is this? I thought it was the IUPUI PPNT masters one, but you say there is no masters degree awarded after one year and that there's a summer MCAT course (I wasn't aware the Indiana one had one).
 
Hi there, I just had a question about SMPs for anybody who was willing to answer. In applying to Caribbean medical schools, I am taking the MCAT this summer and considering enrolling in a second bachelor's program at a nearby state university to redo prerequisities. Basically, would me enrolling in a second bachelor's program hurt my chances if I wanted to apply for an SMP program (for example, if I'm in a second bachelor's program, would the SMP program require me to finish it)? Also, I was just wondering about my general chances of getting into a SMP program, what I would have to do at this point, and which are the best (as far as getting you into medical school)?


I graduated from Rutgers in 2006 with a BA in Molecular Biology and Biochemistry and have been working part time jobs since because of home/financial problems. I was just wondering about what I should be doing for the next fall.

General Physics A 3 credits
General Physics A 3 credits
General Physics Lab A 1 credit
General Physics Lab A 1 credit
General Biology B 4 credits
General Biology B 4 credits
General Chemistry B 4 credits
General Chemistry C 4 credits
General Chemistry Lab C+ 1 credit
Organic Chemistry B 4 credits
Organic Chemistry B 4 credits
Organic Chemistry Lab B+ 2 credits
Calculus I B+ 4 credits
Expository Writing B 3 credits
Genetics A 4 credits
Genetics Lab A 1 credit
General Microbiology B 4 credits
Systems Physiology B 3 credits
Molecular Bio Biochem Lab A 3 credits
Molecular Bio Biochem Lab C+ 3 credits
Molecular Bio Biochem C+ 3 credits
Physical Chemistry C 3 credits
Physical Chemistry C+ 3 credits
Molecular Pathways B 3 credits
Adv Undergrad Lab Research B 3 credits
Seminar in MBB B 1 credit
Proteonomics and Func Genomics B 3 credits
Adv Undergraduated Lab Research A 3 credits
Seminar in MBB B 1 credit
Gene Reg Cancer Development C 3 credits

cumulative GPA: 3.085 (Psych Courses, etc., what is probably pulling this down is an F in one sociology class (I got an A on the first exam and a B on the Final, I missed an exam and policy for just this class of requiring that you take all the exams instead of just averaging)

with upper electives total sGPA: 2.8139

All of my B's and C' are generally due to me goofing off or studying the last day before an exam.

My previous clinical volunteer experience is a summer internship at Garden State Cancer Center for the whole summer roughly from 9 to 5 but aside from that I have 20 hours of volunteer work at a hospital.

I definitely plan on taking the MCAT and doing well and will get more clinical experience. I attended various clubs sporadically (Premed, Biology, etc.).

Any advice is appreciated.
 
Last edited:
Hey guys, not sure if i should do an smp. I got a 3.72 and 3.67 bcpm, but I've tried over and over trying to beat that D*mn mcat to no avail. i'm 1.5 years removed from school now, so I'm not sure how much that'll work against me. Also, part of me feels like i need to get back into the thick of a studying environment instead of wasting away at home. Any advice would be much appreciated!
 
Hey guys, not sure if i should do an smp. I got a 3.72 and 3.67 bcpm, but I've tried over and over trying to beat that D*mn mcat to no avail. i'm 1.5 years removed from school now, so I'm not sure how much that'll work against me. Also, part of me feels like i need to get back into the thick of a studying environment instead of wasting away at home. Any advice would be much appreciated!
An SMP isn't for you - sounds like MCAT is your problem. An SMP isnt a good solution to overcome that problem unfortunately.
 
it happens to everyone. Brush it off for now and focus on what you want. I thought the path of money first was what i wanted and i found out i didn't enjoy that, either. :laugh:



This will be your battle. You've gotta focus on getting your gpa up to/close to a 3.0 as best as you can. Post-baccs are exactly what you want to do for the timebeing in order to focus on getting that gpa up there.



that's a very common misconception amongst pre-meds; you have to have some ridiculous amount of work relating only to clinical/hospital settings which is completely false. It's good to have some volunteering/shadowing, but if you've worked in customer service and talked with people; that goes a long way.




your post-bacc/smp will garner those lors for med school. If you're worried about lors for post-baccs, then look to your employer/physicians. At this point, try getting lors for post baccs and then focus on getting lor for med school from the smp/post-bacc courses.



Your course of action is what you should strive to do. Aim to get your post-bacc courses done and get into an smp. Have your mcat done by the time you're ready to go into your smp so that when you're finished with that, you can apply to medical school. You need to do a post-bacc so adcoms for smps know you're serious about their program. A strong upward trend and a great mcat score will definitely earn you admissions to their smps. Knock the smp out and med school is in your path. Also, consider both do and md schools. There is no difference, it's just playing this game smart. I wouldn't consider pa schools if you're deadset on being a physician because a strong upward trend with an smp/good mcat score will land you somewhere in md/do med schools 👍


really??
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad

Yes, really. I worked construction/bestbuy and pharmacy tech. You need clinical experience, but don't say no to a job for the $$$. You can volunteer your time to get the clinical experience, if need be, but people really overplay how many "hours" you need of clinical work/etc.
 
Yes, really. I worked construction/bestbuy and pharmacy tech. You need clinical experience, but don't say no to a job for the $$$. You can volunteer your time to get the clinical experience, if need be, but people really overplay how many "hours" you need of clinical work/etc.


YOU my friend are the truth!

So in addition to my stats above I worked at Target for 10 yrs(15 yrs overall in retail) and taught for 4.5 years(TA and community college). I am not saying I will turn my back on volunteering but is this reasonable for Adcomms? Also how much would you say I would have to volunteer if there is such a thing as predicting hours that you may need?
 
Hi, does anyone have any type of information about the biomedical sciences program at Barry University?? Im from Florida so I would really like to stick close to home but I don't really know much about the Barry program. Has anyone completed it and been accepted to med school??
 
YOU my friend are the truth!

So in addition to my stats above I worked at Target for 10 yrs(15 yrs overall in retail) and taught for 4.5 years(TA and community college). I am not saying I will turn my back on volunteering but is this reasonable for Adcomms? Also how much would you say I would have to volunteer if there is such a thing as predicting hours that you may need?

Here's the thing (and I apologize for the late reply) but the economy does suck and getting a job is painfully hard. Adcoms know this and are open to that. If you're still volunteering in a clinic and trying to shadow, then I don't see how keeping a job outside of clinic is bad. You have bills to pay.... :laugh:
 
Here's the thing (and I apologize for the late reply) but the economy does suck and getting a job is painfully hard. Adcoms know this and are open to that. If you're still volunteering in a clinic and trying to shadow, then I don't see how keeping a job outside of clinic is bad. You have bills to pay.... :laugh:


I have a burning question since this is the SMP thread. What do you consider a CREDIBLE course load during an SMP.(Wayne BMS) There is no way I am not working during it and when the time comes to take it I wan to take like 6cr a semester. It is set up as a 2 yr prog. Should I do it in a yr? I actually am talking about this in another thread in the non trad forum.

Here is the prog.

Office of Graduate Scholars - Basic Medical Science
 
I have a burning question since this is the SMP thread. What do you consider a CREDIBLE course load during an SMP.(Wayne BMS) There is no way I am not working during it and when the time comes to take it I wan to take like 6cr a semester. It is set up as a 2 yr prog. Should I do it in a yr? I actually am talking about this in another thread in the non trad forum.

Here is the prog.

Office of Graduate Scholars - Basic Medical Science

12 credits a semester is a credible course load for an SMP because its a graduate program and 12 credits is considered full time for graduate school.
 
I just PM'd you.

I responded but didn't see a response back.

I don't buy the I have to work argument. Doing SMP and then med school is like the 5 year plan to med school. Most people who can't afford it out of pocket get gradplus and stafford loans but subsidized and unsubsidized. There's enough to live off of if u live frugally.

Also, no adcom buys that argument and no legit SMP buys that argument.
 
I responded but didn't see a response back.

I don't buy the I have to work argument. Doing SMP and then med school is like the 5 year plan to med school. Most people who can't afford it out of pocket get gradplus and stafford loans but subsidized and unsubsidized. There's enough to live off of if u live frugally.

Also, no adcom buys that argument and no legit SMP buys that argument.


What is there to "buy" ???
 
What is there to "buy" ???

I already made my argument in PM and on here. You are a grad student given full extent of stafford plus gradplus loans. There's no reason you should be working. GRAD SCHOOL = FULL TIME!!!!!!!!!!!

Not yelling, just capsing for emphasis.

FULL TIME for a reason. Med school is full time for a reason. You are expected to make it your full and soul priority. And that means quitting work and getting loans if necessary.

This is especially true in the real SMPs.
 
I already made my argument in PM and on here. You are a grad student given full extent of stafford plus gradplus loans. There's no reason you should be working. GRAD SCHOOL = FULL TIME!!!!!!!!!!!

Not yelling, just capsing for emphasis.

FULL TIME for a reason. Med school is full time for a reason. You are expected to make it your full and soul priority. And that means quitting work and getting loans if necessary.

This is especially true in the real SMPs.

Of course there is. Also it sure seems like you are yelling. I am simply mining facts to see what my best course of action is. besides neither of us are in med school. So it is really just a bunch of guessing. Besides the coordinator I have spoken too told me that there were people that worked. I will seek further understanding from the proper representatives. In the meanwhile we should just agree to disagree, I am quite aware by now of your stance.
 
...the coordinator I have spoken too told me that there were people that worked...
...and their GPAs were what? Their MCATs were what?

Please feel free to continue to seek advice that lets you do whatever you want. Let us know how that goes for you.

Best of luck to you.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
agree with Guju and Midlife.

if you get in to med school you will not have time to work.

SMP = for all intents and purposes a graduate program as a medical student

I did the Navy Reserves once a month, but let me tell you there was some weekends I was praying about tests the next morning and it turned out favorable me. but this was only 16 hours a month...nowhere close to a regular job.

I really don't know of anyone that attended a full-time SMP that has been able to work and successfully pull off admission into medical school...if you want that risk then go for it. I personally see it as shooting yourself in the foot.

good luck.
 
I appreciate all your advice here. I haven't decided on anything yet. Nor was I saying that I would. I will keep what you all told me in mind when I talk to Wayne some more.
 
I responded but didn't see a response back.

I don't buy the I have to work argument. Doing SMP and then med school is like the 5 year plan to med school. Most people who can't afford it out of pocket get gradplus and stafford loans but subsidized and unsubsidized. There's enough to live off of if u live frugally.

Also, no adcom buys that argument and no legit SMP buys that argument.

There comes a price you have to pay for working while doing an SMP, yes. I never recommend doing it, but the fact that you present the argument of having to work while doing it as ridiculous (or however you want to phrase it) is ignorant because I don't think you've even set foot in peoples shoes who have done it. There are situations that come out where you do have to work.

And, honestly, I would love to hear your source of info where adcoms/SMPs straight up don't buy any argument for working while in these situations.
 
There comes a price you have to pay for working while doing an SMP, yes. I never recommend doing it, but the fact that you present the argument of having to work while doing it as ridiculous (or however you want to phrase it) is ignorant because I don't think you've even set foot in peoples shoes who have done it. There are situations that come out where you do have to work.

And, honestly, I would love to hear your source of info where adcoms/SMPs straight up don't buy any argument for working while in these situations.

This is EXACTLY my point!! Saying that someone doesn't or shouldn't work as if it is an optional thing is not relatable at all. We all intuitively know why one needs to work. Also I still think that there are people out there that did work while doing these programs. Honestly, I don't have any stats on that but I think its more realistic to assume that it has happened than not.
Also, I do understand that there is a price to pay as well. I just would like to know in terms of THIS PROGRAM is there a stipulation for part time vs. full time. There doesent seem to be alot of info on it.
 
And, honestly, I would love to hear your source of info where adcoms/SMPs straight up don't buy any argument for working while in these situations.

I know this wasn't directed at me but we had to sign a form agreeing that we would not work while school was in session at our SMP. I'm guessing because someone used the "well I didn't do as well because I had to work" line.

I don't know if any other SMP's do this but I imagine we're not the only ones discouraged to this degree.