**The Official Guide to Special Masters Programs**

Started by braluk
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know this wasn't directed at me but we had to sign a form agreeing that we would not work while school was in session at our SMP. I'm guessing because someone used the "well I didn't do as well because I had to work" line.

I don't know if any other SMP's do this but I imagine we're not the only ones discouraged to this degree.

Okay. This is the type of thing I want to know. However it seems not to be the case everywhere. I guess it depends on where you go.
 
I know this wasn't directed at me but we had to sign a form agreeing that we would not work while school was in session at our SMP. I'm guessing because someone used the "well I didn't do as well because I had to work" line.

I don't know if any other SMP's do this but I imagine we're not the only ones discouraged to this degree.

Then that makes sense.
 
There comes a price you have to pay for working while doing an SMP, yes. I never recommend doing it, but the fact that you present the argument of having to work while doing it as ridiculous (or however you want to phrase it) is ignorant because I don't think you've even set foot in peoples shoes who have done it. There are situations that come out where you do have to work.

And, honestly, I would love to hear your source of info where adcoms/SMPs straight up don't buy any argument for working while in these situations.

My SMP made it very clear that part time wasn't really an option and that your soul priority is school. Almost every SMP I know is like this. EVERY REAL SMP!!!

The program that Msc wants is not even a REAL SMP!!! Its in a category of its own. But the main real SMPs don't do the whole 6 credits an hour deal.

And most adcoms I've talked to and most people at my own SMP who serve on BU's adcom as well as at USF'S IMS program and GTown SMP have made it clear in the past that when you are in SMP you are full time and expected to commit the classes on the schedule given. In the real SMPs, they assign you your schedule, and you don't create it yourself. And if you choose not to take some elective courses you have to replace it with other credits. This was the case at BU when I was there.

I was told repeatedly by the old director of USF IMS, by EVMS students, and by Gtown Students that your schedule is assigned to you the same that medical school classes are assigned to you in med school. And you don't get to take it at another time just cuz you want to do 6 credits an hour especially considering that in most REAL SMPs you are often competing against med students and taking classes on their schedule.

The big problem here that Msc keeps failing to mention to everyone is that the program he wants to do is not even an SMP by any real standards. i looked at the link he showed me to it. Its Wayne state's BMS program and it doesn't involve being in first year med courses and competing with med students. it is just a graduate program like the Molecular med program that I did at USF Health prior to BU's SMP. That is not even viewed on the same level at many other schools as an SMP. But it might help at wayne state as wayne state is much more favorable towards people who did grad school or postbac of any sort as long as they've had above a 3.6 or so from what I once read on their website. And I also read on their website this was for 20 credits or more.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My SMP made it very clear that part time wasn't really an option and that your soul priority is school. Almost every SMP I know is like this. EVERY REAL SMP!!!

The program that Msc wants is not even a REAL SMP!!! Its in a category of its own. But the main real SMPs don't do the whole 6 credits an hour deal.

And most adcoms I've talked to and most people at my own SMP who serve on BU's adcom as well as at USF'S IMS program and GTown SMP have made it clear in the past that when you are in SMP you are full time and expected to commit the classes on the schedule given. In the real SMPs, they assign you your schedule, and you don't create it yourself. And if you choose not to take some elective courses you have to replace it with other credits. This was the case at BU when I was there.

I was told repeatedly by the old director of USF IMS, by EVMS students, and by Gtown Students that your schedule is assigned to you the same that medical school classes are assigned to you in med school. And you don't get to take it at another time just cuz you want to do 6 credits an hour especially considering that in most REAL SMPs you are often competing against med students and taking classes on their schedule.

The big problem here that Msc keeps failing to mention to everyone is that the program he wants to do is not even an SMP by any real standards. i looked at the link he showed me to it. Its Wayne state's BMS program and it doesn't involve being in first year med courses and competing with med students. it is just a graduate program like the Molecular med program that I did at USF Health prior to BU's SMP. That is not even viewed on the same level at many other schools as an SMP. But it might help at wayne state as wayne state is much more favorable towards people who did grad school or postbac of any sort as long as they've had above a 3.6 or so from what I once read on their website. And I also read on their website this was for 20 credits or more.

I havent clue as to where all this umbrage is coming from. Especially since there are people that are getting into med school after taking this program. The reason "I am not mentioning" those thing you mention is because I simply dont or didnt know the difference and am actually on here to find things out about this program. Not engage in a flame war. It is one thing to disagree with the notion of working while in a program. But it is another to lodge thinly veiled attacks against someone who is simply asking a question. I hope though that this thread gets back on track.
 
I havent clue as to where all this umbrage is coming from. Especially since there are people that are getting into med school after taking this program. The reason "I am not mentioning" those thing you mention is because I simply dont or didnt know the difference and am actually on here to find things out about this program. Not engage in a flame war. It is one thing to disagree with the notion of working while in a program. But it is another to lodge thinly veiled attacks against someone who is simply asking a question. I hope though that this thread gets back on track.
This isn't umbrage. It isn't an attack. I think frustration is about as far as I would go. Everybody who is interacting with you is trying to help you.

You now have 4 SMP grads advising you. I think 3 of us have MD acceptances, and the 4th is just a matter of time. It's very frustrating to share our hard-won experience with you and have you respond "we'll see." We're trying to save you from investing time & money down the wrong path.

Quite frankly, based on my real life experience and SDN exposure, the following is unfortunately likely to happen:
1. You'll ignore what we're telling you.
2. You'll get advice from Wayne State that doesn't apply to you. For example, you won't make it clear that you have a sub-3.0 in undergrad. Or you won't make it clear that you can't do full time study. Or the person you talk to won't have exposure to actual med school admissions. Or they won't put enough effort into doing good work with you.
3. You'll choose a schedule that works for you but doesn't improve your med school chances or your academic capabilities.
4. But because you're URM, you'll get a med school acceptance somewhere.
5. You won't be ready to succeed where you get accepted.
6. You'll have to remediate a year, which adds another $50k to your student debt. That's if you're allowed to continue.
7. Your grades and board scores and debt and options for residency will result in med school not having been worth the opportunity cost.

I've see this first hand with people in 3 different states now, and that's why I'm motivated to advise you.

Best of luck to you.
 
This isn't umbrage. It isn't an attack. I think frustration is about as far as I would go. Everybody who is interacting with you is trying to help you.

You now have 4 SMP grads advising you. I think 3 of us have MD acceptances, and the 4th is just a matter of time. It's very frustrating to share our hard-won experience with you and have you respond "we'll see." We're trying to save you from investing time & money down the wrong path.

Quite frankly, based on my real life experience and SDN exposure, the following is unfortunately likely to happen:
1. You'll ignore what we're telling you.
2. You'll get advice from Wayne State that doesn't apply to you. For example, you won't make it clear that you have a sub-3.0 in undergrad. Or you won't make it clear that you can't do full time study. Or the person you talk to won't have exposure to actual med school admissions. Or they won't put enough effort into doing good work with you.
3. You'll choose a schedule that works for you but doesn't improve your med school chances or your academic capabilities.
4. But because you're URM, you'll get a med school acceptance somewhere.
5. You won't be ready to succeed where you get accepted.
6. You'll have to remediate a year, which adds another $50k to your student debt. That's if you're allowed to continue.
7. Your grades and board scores and debt and options for residency will result in med school not having been worth the opportunity cost.

I've see this first hand with people in 3 different states now, and that's why I'm motivated to advise you.

Best of luck to you.


I'll say this again, I absolutely appreciate the help.

By saying I want to work I am not attempting to diminish any anyones experience. I am simply presenting what I was informed from a person in the department about a program I am STILL learning about. Also I am not impying that I want to half step through the program by taking such diminished credits. If anything it shows I am ready to work my tail off. If it is not a true SMP I can accept that. I also have gave them my credentials in the spirit of having an honest conversation.

In terms of steps 4 and 5 while I see what you are saying, because I do have subpar stats, but I think you should be careful with this language. It implies or taps into the idea that African-American's are simply brought into these places not neccesarily because they are ready or able but because of quota's that are in place. Again just a little friendly advice.
 
Last edited:
This isn't umbrage. It isn't an attack. I think frustration is about as far as I would go. Everybody who is interacting with you is trying to help you.

You now have 4 SMP grads advising you. I think 3 of us have MD acceptances, and the 4th is just a matter of time. It's very frustrating to share our hard-won experience with you and have you respond "we'll see." We're trying to save you from investing time & money down the wrong path.

Quite frankly, based on my real life experience and SDN exposure, the following is unfortunately likely to happen:
1. You'll ignore what we're telling you.
2. You'll get advice from Wayne State that doesn't apply to you. For example, you won't make it clear that you have a sub-3.0 in undergrad. Or you won't make it clear that you can't do full time study. Or the person you talk to won't have exposure to actual med school admissions. Or they won't put enough effort into doing good work with you.
3. You'll choose a schedule that works for you but doesn't improve your med school chances or your academic capabilities.
4. But because you're URM, you'll get a med school acceptance somewhere.
5. You won't be ready to succeed where you get accepted.
6. You'll have to remediate a year, which adds another $50k to your student debt. That's if you're allowed to continue.
7. Your grades and board scores and debt and options for residency will result in med school not having been worth the opportunity cost.

I've see this first hand with people in 3 different states now, and that's why I'm motivated to advise you.

Best of luck to you.

So what happened with these three people? That sounds unfortunate.
 
Hi everyone,

I have a cum GPA of 3.1, with a 3.7 grad GPA that I will finish up this year (hard science) I am thinking about applying to a SMP, hopefully Drexel IMS. I have a 32 MCAT. What do you think are my chances at the Drexel IMS, or a SMP in general? Thank you!
 
Hi everyone,

I have a cum GPA of 3.1, with a 3.7 grad GPA that I will finish up this year (hard science) I am thinking about applying to a SMP, hopefully Drexel IMS. I have a 32 MCAT. What do you think are my chances at the Drexel IMS, or a SMP in general? Thank you!

You should be a shoe-in at Drexel with those stats, and I imagine at other SMPs too. Adcoms always like it when there's recent coursework and an MCAT that suggest you'll do well in the program, even if the cGPA is the reason you're there in the first place.
 
You should be a shoe-in at Drexel with those stats, and I imagine at other SMPs too. Adcoms always like it when there's recent coursework and an MCAT that suggest you'll do well in the program, even if the cGPA is the reason you're there in the first place.

agreed. Overall GPA is 3.1 and thus above 3.0, 3.7 in grad and 32 MCAT. Seems like you could even get into Gtown SMP with that.

But you would stand a high shot at any of the major SMPs with that. GOOD LUCK
 
Last edited:
Thank you deuces and miss gujudoc! Here's hoping! I guess I just have to send in the app and see haha.
 
Last edited:
Thank you deuces and miss gujudoc! Here's hoping! I guess I just have to send in the app and see haha.

BTW I'd not go to Drexel IMS if you can get into either BU MAMS, Tufts MBS, Gtown SMP, EVMS BMS, or UCincy MS in Physio. Or even if you can get into RFU BMS.

Drexel IMS is not one of the best.
 
ah really? Yea, I plan to look into those other programs before I actually apply to SMP. I just really like the fact that you can take 6 med school courses and they have a guaranteed interview with Drexel medical school.
 
Last edited:
ah really? Yea, I plan to look into those other programs before I actually apply to SMP. I just really like the fact that you can take 6 med school courses and they have a guaranteed interview with Drexel medical school.
I'd do a bit more research on SDN about the "guaranteed interview" part...
 
I'd do a bit more research on SDN about the "guaranteed interview" part...

You have the option of dropping two of the classes (nutrition, immunology) and still getting the IMS certificate, but you have to stay in them to get the interview. Also, you need a B or above in all the courses, not simply a 3.0+ average. I think those are the the issues that rob is referring to.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ah, yea I heard about that. Those are pretty stringent requirements and I heard immuno is pretty tough haha. I def think I can do it, but obv I have no clue since they are actual med classes lol. It doesnt help that they are two extra classes on the workload either.
​
 
I do have one more question though. Do you think med schools care about the fact that the lectures in Drexel's IMS are simulcast and not live lectures?
 
I do have one more question though. Do you think med schools care about the fact that the lectures in Drexel's IMS are simulcast and not live lectures?

No they don't care. That's not why its a disadvantage to me. I think its a disadvantage because you can't just go up to a professor and ask questions and as you will find out med classes are hard as hell. You don't get to go visit professors to get to know them so you can get good letters and so you can ask face to face questions if you want.

You can't raise your hand and ask questions as they pop in your head in the middle of a lecture and the professor says "any questions?" to the class because you are stuck watching from miles away on another campus via the video lectures.

These are disadvantages to the student for the learning process and has nothing to do with the actual getting into med school part.
 
ARGHHHHHHHHH. I just realized something -___- I was calculating my undergrad sci GPA wrong. with the new calc, its under 3. Does Drexel, or any of the good SMP need above a 3.0 or above for sci, or just cum? Even if I can get in, will med schools be able to look past my terribly low sci GPA if I do well in the SMP, or will the GPA either screen me out or make them no even look at my app? Right now, all I'm really concerned about is getting into a SMP though.
 
ARGHHHHHHHHH. I just realized something -___- I was calculating my undergrad sci GPA wrong. with the new calc, its under 3. Does Drexel, or any of the good SMP need above a 3.0 or above for sci, or just cum? Even if I can get in, will med schools be able to look past my terribly low sci GPA if I do well in the SMP, or will the GPA either screen me out or make them no even look at my app? Right now, all I'm really concerned about is getting into a SMP though.
Getting in might not be the hard part. Doing well is probably going to be the hard part. The classic mistake here is to assume you can start doing well in science classes just because you want to. An SMP is a horrible place to find out that this kind of magic doesn't work out.

With a sub-3.0 science GPA, I recommend doing some additional undergrad before you take on an SMP. A good SMP is basically designed to crush you with a triple load of hard science. And you have to do really, really well. So if at all possible, take a few math/science classes and get A's, such as after work, before you take on an SMP. Take on the struggle to master study skills & test taking etc. in a lower pressure environment, and use that success to propel you through an SMP and beyond.

Now, if you got A's in your last several science classes, and that science GPA is sunk by old coursework, then you're fine.

Best of luck to you.
 
Thanks for the advice DrMidlife. I have taken a few undergrad classes while doing my masters, and I did pretty well, so I believe I have what it takes to survive a SMP. Miss gujudoc and dueces, do you have any advice and have you seen people in this situation make it to med school in your SMPs? Thank you!
 
Thanks for the advice DrMidlife. I have taken a few undergrad classes while doing my masters, and I did pretty well, so I believe I have what it takes to survive a SMP. Miss gujudoc and dueces, do you have any advice and have you seen people in this situation make it to med school in your SMPs? Thank you!

There are absolutely people who make it to med school from a SMP with a <3.0 undergraduate GPA, including myself. However, the onus is on you to not only survive the SMP, but to thrive in it -- you need to show med schools that you're a sure bet.
 
no doubt no doubt. I gotta aim high in the SMP. Just curious, what is considered doing awesome in a SMP? Is it like a 3.6 or a 3.7?
 
no doubt no doubt. I gotta aim high in the SMP. Just curious, what is considered doing awesome in a SMP? Is it like a 3.6 or a 3.7?
Depends on the SMP. Beat the med student average and you can reasonably claim you're ready for med school. Keep in mind that every med student, and every SMP student, expects to be at the top of the class, deeply motivated by fear of failure.

Look, it's June 10, and you haven't applied yet, right? You're roughly 6 months late in applying to good SMPs. So why not use the next year to get some more undergrad science A's, and apply early (like November) to good programs?

Best of luck to you.
 
Ah, I understand. I plan on finishing up my masters this year, so I'm thinking of taking a few undergrad courses as well, to bump up my GPA a bit. So, I plan on applying prob this Fall to some programs. Hopefully with my grad work, undergrad work and my MCAT, I could get into a good SMP like Drexel, Cincy, and Georgetown.
 
Hi,

I just got accepted into Regis University's Biomedical Sciences program in Colorado, their first year doing this. I also got into UMDNJ's BMS program. I am waiting for George Mason University since they connect with Georgetown University. I am also waiting for Rosalind Franklin University in North Chicago.

My question is, it's worth to go to any of these programs, for those of you who have experience in this? I am very new to this, I applied before the June 1 deadline, literally sent my apps the day before and got replies two weeks later.

I am an Anthropology major, minor in Biological Sciences from UCI 2008. My MCAT was 27R, taking again in July 6.
3.287 cGPA (failed at biomedical engineering), 94 of 177 units taken were science courses-- 3.4 sGPA.

I am trying to boost my status, but am still applying this summer to medical colleges in order to not waste another year.

Thank you for any help. One thing I learned for sure, guidance is important, but has to come from the right people.
 
Last edited:
My definition of SMP: do the first year of med school, at a med school with med school students, as an audition for med school, for applicants who have everything tidy in their app except for a low undergrad GPA.

There are tons of biomedical sciences or other terminal masters or cert or postbac programs that don't meet "my" definition. If you do a program that is really easy to get into with a low GPA (or, particularly, with a low MCAT), and/or that program doesn't publish its results, and/or if that program can't put you in touch with recent grads who are now starting med school, I suggest you are not being a smart consumer.

Of the 4 programs, RFU and UMDNJ are what I'd call an SMP. [edited]

I would not pursue the Regis program because it's not hosted at a med school, and because it's new. Let somebody else be the guinea pig to test it out.

I suggest that you need to read the fine print on George Mason. It looks to me like there's only GW linkage if you're a traditional student. I do not think you are eligible for linkage if you do a postbac. Note that there are only 2 students listed as having done the linkage...

Best of luck to you.
 
Last edited:
My definition of SMP: do the first year of med school, at a med school with med school students, as an audition for med school, for applicants who have everything tidy in their app except for a low undergrad GPA.

...Of the 3 programs, RFU is the only one I'd call an SMP....
UMDNJ BMS also counts in your definition provided you are one of the students to take the med school classes. Not everyone is selected but it would hit the same criteria
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hello all,

Would like to first thank the contributes to this discussion, it has helped me a great deal.

I had a quick question about the situation I currently find myself in.

I recently graduated from the university of Illinois with a degree in MCB. I applied last cycle, and am currently waitlisted at a couple schools.

I feel as my science gpa was my apps biggest weakness (3.2something) (overall gpa 3.47) Therefore I decided an SMP would be apt.

I got into Drexel IMS and Tuffts MBS, and am currently waiting for other replys.

After looking at past forums etc etc... I still cannot decided which program would be ideal. I feel as if could excel in both of them but there seems to advantages and disadvantages to both.
 
Hi Guys

Here are my stats:

GPA overall 3.35
sGPA 3.25

I am a TX resident, and hoping to apply to DO/MD schools in TX. I graduated May 2011, have 2 years research background, currently a Scribe, have not taken my MCAT (will do so in September).

Question 1: Do you guys think I have a chance at an SMP

Question 2: When do you guys think is the best time for me to apply for SMP and assuming I do get into an SMP, when is a good time for me to apply for MD/DO school.

Thanks guys
Best luck to all of you
 
I got into Drexel IMS and Tuffts MBS, and am currently waiting for other replys.

After looking at past forums etc etc... I still cannot decided which program would be ideal. I feel as if could excel in both of them but there seems to advantages and disadvantages to both.
Agreed on the pro/cons - I personally would do Tufts

Question 1: Do you guys think I have a chance at an SMP

Question 2: When do you guys think is the best time for me to apply for SMP and assuming I do get into an SMP, when is a good time for me to apply for MD/DO school.
1) Yes
2) Apply for the SMPs when you get your MCAT in the fall and then depending on your MCAT and how you do in the SMP you can apply next summer (summer before you start SMP) or wait until after the summer after to apply. Unless you rock the MCAT, i'd say wait the year and apply with a full year of SMP grades under your belt.
 
What should I do if I don't know yet which SMP program I will be attending next year (I know I will be doing one for sure) and don't have it finalized by the time I am ready to submit my AMCAS?

Looking at my last year's AMCAS and through their FAQ, it seems like I won't be able to add another school to the 'Schools Attended' section once it has been submitted and verified. Anyone know of a way to get around this or a person/ phone number @ AAMC that can fix this? Any suggestions? Should I wait (this would entail maybe waiting another month to submit until I know for sure where I'll be going ; I would like to avoid that if I can since last year my AMCAS was submitted around 7/27 and verified on 8/20 = later than I would have liked), or just submit without it and later update all of my schools as to which program I'm in and the courses I am taking/grades, etc.?

Any suggestions or pieces of advice would be greatly appreciated!
 
The GPA requirements for the SMP, is that your actual current GPA, or that aamc cumulative/standardized GPA?
If you're trying to get into med school, than your "actual" GPA is what AMCAS/AACOMAS/TMDSAS say it is. A GPA listed on a transcript doesn't play any role in admissions.

Best of luck to you.
 
What should I do if I don't know yet which SMP program I will be attending next year (I know I will be doing one for sure) and don't have it finalized by the time I am ready to submit my AMCAS?
If your last app didn't get you into med school, then you need to improve it before you reapply. Right? I suggest that you need:
1. one major new asset (such as an SMP)
2. at least one new LOR
3. all essays and activity descriptions rewritten

If you submit AMCAS without listing your SMP in progress, then what's your major new asset since your last app? What are you going to get by applying early this year that you didn't get last year?

Generally, doing a same-year-as-SMP app means you're applying late no matter when you submit AMCAS. SMP grades and letters won't be available until January, and on average med schools will put your app in a hold pile until then.

If you submit without listing your SMP, then you're on your own to advise schools what you're doing. I personally don't view this as a compelling way to present yourself. The alternative of applying later with your SMP listed is not optimal, but imho it's better - it makes you easier to understand as a candidate.

Best of luck to you.
 
If your last app didn't get you into med school, then you need to improve it before you reapply. Right? I suggest that you need:
1. one major new asset (such as an SMP)
2. at least one new LOR
3. all essays and activity descriptions rewritten

If you submit AMCAS without listing your SMP in progress, then what's your major new asset since your last app? What are you going to get by applying early this year that you didn't get last year?

Generally, doing a same-year-as-SMP app means you're applying late no matter when you submit AMCAS. SMP grades and letters won't be available until January, and on average med schools will put your app in a hold pile until then.

If you submit without listing your SMP, then you're on your own to advise schools what you're doing. I personally don't view this as a compelling way to present yourself. The alternative of applying later with your SMP listed is not optimal, but imho it's better - it makes you easier to understand as a candidate.

Best of luck to you.

Thanks for the advice. I guess you're right -- its better to present a clear picture from the get-go. I'm on a couple of wait lists this year so I hope this will be the "push" I need for a successful second attempt.

Who would you recommend the LOR come from? A Prof. or Advisor @ the SMP, or someone else (prof. from Undergrad, physician whom I've shadowed, volunteer coordinator, etc.) ?
 
Who would you recommend the LOR come from? A Prof. or Advisor @ the SMP, or someone else (prof. from Undergrad, physician whom I've shadowed, volunteer coordinator, etc.) ?
I like the SMP faculty best. Pick the most likely professor (really, one who is organized & can form a coherent sentence) and work them up after you get your 1st A on an exam, set expectations so that they'll have a letter ready for you at the same time as your 1st semester grades. Then med schools will get this big stunning package of awesomeness in January.
 
DeucesHigh3 I'm a predental who need SMP for sure.

Drexel told me they will place me in 1 of their 4 tracks.
which track is best for predental ? All lectures are simulcasted ?
 
DeucesHigh3 I'm a predental who need SMP for sure.

Drexel told me they will place me in 1 of their 4 tracks.
which track is best for predental ? All lectures are simulcasted ?

I'm actually not sure what you're referring to, but the "tracks" part sort of sounds like the IHS program. If that's the case, do the concentration in Medical Sciences (or whatever it's called), which involves the telecast DUCoM classes. Sorry I can't be more specific -- I don't know much about IHS, and they've changed the website in the last year such that I don't see any mention of tracks/concentrations anymore.

In any case, the *only* programs at Drexel that are SMP-like are the ones that allow you to take medical school classes and are thus simulcast: IMS, MBS (in which you do the IMS year after the MSP year), DPMS (for disadvantaged/URM), and possibly IHS (though I don't see the med class aspect of it online anymore).
 
I'm trying to decide between BU MAMS and Gtown SMP (accepted into both).

My uGPA and sGPA are 3.5 & my MCAT was a 30M (straight 10's)

Gtown is older, 1 year, and thus, less expensive. I haven't started my AMCAS for this cycle and feel as though I am a month behind with an application that hasn't improved from last year's save for my acceptance into Gtown.

BU is two years. I want to do research in the future, so the lab thesis is actually a plus—assuming I find the right PI and topic. I would have time to secure multiple rec letters from a couple Profs, as well as my PI. I would also have an opportunity to retake the MCAT. I could have a more polished and improved reapplication between the two years.

In my research into SMPs I have found that many of the students stay with the med schools of their respective SMP programs. If that were the case I would find myself in at the end of 1 or 2 years I would rather be in Boston and at BU for med school.

I'm leaning BU as you can see. I'm I leaning rightfully so?
 
Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum so I'm really sorry if this is the wrong place to post a question like this.

I have recently graduated from the University of California, Davis with a Neurobiology, Physiology and Behavior major. My overall GPA is a 3.2 and my science GPA is a 3.1. However, my GPA my first year was a 2.9 and I steadily improved and was on the dean's list during my junior year and maintained a 3.5+ in most quarters during jr/sr year. I was able to do well in all my upper div science courses for my major, but it was classes such as gen chem and ochem during my earlier years I struggled with. I recently took the MCAT and got a 26R (V:10 P:10 B:6-probably due to ochem). I plan on retaking them in January. I have a lot of good clinical and research experience and have secured a job in the emergency room at UCSF.

Since I am not a competitive applicant, I was looking into applying to a SMP with good linkage for the 2012 year. I've been browsing the forums and have seen that schools such as EVMS generally have high chances of people getting into the medical school.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what schools I would be considered "competitive" for. Is there a website that has general info for all these programs with deadlines? I would plan to apply as early as possible which for some schools is as early as October of this year, so would I still be able to take my MCAT in January and be considered for August 2012?

Thank you and sorry for the super long post!
 
Hi I have a quick question. I am a Canadian citizen (no green card, no US citizenship) going to a college in US. I was wondering if the SMPs are open to Canadians also and if I will face tougher competition/admission requirements. Thanks.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This might be a really dumb question so I apologize in advance but when you guys are posting your GPAs are they AAMCAS GPAs ? or just the GPAs given by your universities.
 
It should be your AMCAS GPA

You can use your cGPA from your univ if you havent taken classes at any other place (CC or 4-yr). If you have, you'll need to calculate your AMCAS GPA
 
Hello All
I am already a masters student in a research based neuroscience program, My undergrad GPA is 3.7 and Grad GPA: 4.0 MCAT:28 R. I am a little confused about the SPM and could not find an answer from the thread, my question is after graduating from SPM do students need to apply through AMCAS again or that the they will automatically be considered by the school, if not do they have to re - write the MCAT for the next AMCAS cycle? Thanks a lot.
 
Hello All
I am already a masters student in a research based neuroscience program, My undergrad GPA is 3.7 and Grad GPA: 4.0 MCAT:28 R. I am a little confused about the SPM and could not find an answer from the thread, my question is after graduating from SPM do students need to apply through AMCAS again or that the they will automatically be considered by the school, if not do they have to re - write the MCAT for the next AMCAS cycle? Thanks a lot.
It's SMP, special masters program. With your GPA you would be exceedingly foolish to do one.

Want to share a bit about why you think you need an SMP? Are you trying to avoid retaking the MCAT? Because spending $50k on an SMP is a wicked expensive detour.

Best of luck to you.
 
It's SMP, special masters program. With your GPA you would be exceedingly foolish to do one.

Want to share a bit about why you think you need an SMP? Are you trying to avoid retaking the MCAT? Because spending $50k on an SMP is a wicked expensive detour.

Best of luck to you.

Hi
Thanks for your reply, yes I got 7 on verbal and have about 35 days to re write and I am not sure how much I could improve my verbal by then, I thought SMP could be a back up. But please share any suggestions you might have. Thanks again!