**The Official Guide to Special Masters Programs**

Started by braluk
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi
Thanks for your reply, yes I got 7 on verbal and have about 35 days to re write and I am not sure how much I could improve my verbal by then, I thought SMP could be a back up. But please share any suggestions you might have. Thanks again!
Hmm, now I have to ask what you have 35 days for. Because if you're thinking that gets your MCAT score before an AMCAS "deadline" for applying, unfortunately that's not good planning.

With your fantastic GPA, you don't necessarily have to apply on the day AMCAS opens (June 1), but in general, an app that is complete at the end of the summer is a very late app, pretty much a waste of time and money.

I suggest that with a 7 on verbal, and we're in late July, you should sit this app year out. You now know that you need to invest more time (ie months) in MCAT prep.

That's my only suggestion, really, that you should honor the achievement your GPA shows with a comparably impressive MCAT score, and unfortunately (in my view) verbal is the hardest score to improve. I don't see a reasonable way to speed things up. There is no tragedy whatsoever in taking another year before you start med school. The tragedy would be doing Caribbean or wasting app fees because you're in a hurry.

Best of luck to you.
 
Hey guys:
Congratulations on everyone's acceptance and here's to keeping hope alive for us who are still trying to apply.

Do you guys think I would be a good candidate for an SMP?

Stats:
UG GPA 3.3
Grad GPA: 3.4
Self-made post bacc GPA (upper level mainly biology classes): 3.8
BCPM: 3.5
Overall GPA (UG + Grad + PB): 3.5

MCAT: 31R

any advice is most appreciated!
 
Last edited:
Indicate on the AMCAS or AACOMAS all the classes you are going to take, and list it as "blank School of Medicine Special Masters Program". You'll get it verified and will catch the eyes of admissions committees. Wordsmithing can go a long way. Most likely, unless your GPA and MCAT can carry you far, you'll most likely be asked to submit grades (along with recommendations from your program). Submit them as soon as possible, and as often as possible. Many submit after their first exam, which also includes a handful of small groups quiz grades. I submitted after my second exam (both medical physio and medical biochem). That way, you keep adcoms up to date, and give them an idea of the trends you are on. Funny how doing well on one medical school exam can determine if you get an interview or not.

My program is listed as a "Pre-professional Masters Program" which encompasses people applying to medical, dental, opt, etc. It's also on the campus of the medical school, but not through the medical school (different University). Should I still list my post-bacc as "xx School of Medicine"?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know anything about the Cornell Post-bac/ has anyone completed or know someone who has completed the program? Any information would be appreciated!
 
So do most adcoms think that SMP students are graded on the same curve as the med students? Cuz in my program, we attended med school lectures, then took our own tests that were created from the same question bank used for the med students. We were graded on percentage correct, not against med students, so will adcoms be concerned if they see that I got a B in the med school class, which corresponded to getting 85% of questions correct on my exams? Cuz I feel like that is actually a very solid performance, and I hope that adcoms don't think that a B in the course was bad! Thanks!
 
If you're trying to get into med school, than your "actual" GPA is what AMCAS/AACOMAS/TMDSAS say it is. A GPA listed on a transcript doesn't play any role in admissions.

Best of luck to you.

Sorry for the late read, must have lost this somewhere...

Mind elaborating on this? It sounds like the admission for a smp program is almost as difficult as admission to medical school. Why does adcom still get to judge the gpa even here? I thought the smp was suppose to be an "alternative" route.

Ugh, hopefully I am just misunderstanding this, but currently what is making me reconsider med is the standardization of the gpa as oppose to just using my transcript gpa. But if the gpa gets standardized for smp is it worth even bothering applying the program?

Thanks.
 
Mind elaborating on this?
Things that are true:
1. More than 70,000 people per year take the MCAT.
2. More than 45,000 people per year apply to MD schools.
3. Fewer than 20,000 people per year get into MD schools.
4. DO schools are almost as competitive as MD schools, with nearly 5,000 seats.
5. Partially because there are so many more applicants than seats, med schools can do pretty much whatever they want when evaluating applicants.
6. Usually med schools start the decision process by looking at the most standardized credentials: your cumulative undergrad GPA and MCAT. Nothing else is standardized, thus everything else is subjective.
7. Sometimes med schools are willing to consider an SMP performance as indicative of your med school performance.
8. It doesn't matter what SMP you go to, or how well you do, you still have to list every undergrad or grad course you ever took, the grade you got, the credit hours, and against what transcript the app service can verify your reported coursework. The app service delivers this info to med schools, with the app service GPA calcs. Med schools can do whatever they like with the raw data or with the GPA calcs.
9. Three parties are free to calculate your undergrad GPA any way they like: your college, the med school app service, and the med school. Only two of these parties get a vote in med school admissions: the app service and the med school. How your college calculates GPA makes no difference at all. You can find out how an app service does GPA calcs by reading its instructions and by looking at its report after your transcripts are verified. You can usually find out how a med school does its GPA calcs by reading its admissions web pages.
10. It is a total waste of time to protest any of the above.

Best of luck to you.
 
Things that are true:
1. More than 70,000 people per year take the MCAT.
2. More than 45,000 people per year apply to MD schools.
3. Fewer than 20,000 people per year get into MD schools.
4. DO schools are almost as competitive as MD schools, with nearly 5,000 seats.
5. Partially because there are so many more applicants than seats, med schools can do pretty much whatever they want when evaluating applicants.
6. Usually med schools start the decision process by looking at the most standardized credentials: your cumulative undergrad GPA and MCAT. Nothing else is standardized, thus everything else is subjective.
7. Sometimes med schools are willing to consider an SMP performance as indicative of your med school performance.
8. It doesn't matter what SMP you go to, or how well you do, you still have to list every undergrad or grad course you ever took, the grade you got, the credit hours, and against what transcript the app service can verify your reported coursework. The app service delivers this info to med schools, with the app service GPA calcs. Med schools can do whatever they like with the raw data or with the GPA calcs.
9. Three parties are free to calculate your undergrad GPA any way they like: your college, the med school app service, and the med school. Only two of these parties get a vote in med school admissions: the app service and the med school. How your college calculates GPA makes no difference at all. You can find out how an app service does GPA calcs by reading its instructions and by looking at its report after your transcripts are verified. You can usually find out how a med school does its GPA calcs by reading its admissions web pages.
10. It is a total waste of time to protest any of the above.

Best of luck to you.

Haha, thank you. I think I just have an unconditional fear of the app service. I blame SDN... :laugh:
 
I completed the SMP at UMDNJ-GSBS on the Stratford Campus. Any questions feel feel to shoot me a message!
 
Hi everyone,
I'm just wondering if you all think I may benefit from doing an SMP program for the 2012-13 school year. I graduated from undergrad this past May with degrees in Music and Biology with a cGPA of 3.81 and sGPA of 3.50. Unfortunately I got my MCAT scores back today and did about 6 points lower than my practice average; I choked big time. If I have more time to study this fall I plan to retake in Jan or wait until next spring. I have an internship set up to start in a few weeks but am not sure what to do once it is over in. I guess I am just trying to evaluate my options for the next two years. I hope to re-apply next spring.
 
Hi everyone,
I'm just wondering if you all think I may benefit from doing an SMP program for the 2012-13 school year. I graduated from undergrad this past May with degrees in Music and Biology with a cGPA of 3.81 and sGPA of 3.50. Unfortunately I got my MCAT scores back today and did about 6 points lower than my practice average; I choked big time. If I have more time to study this fall I plan to retake in Jan or wait until next spring. I have an internship set up to start in a few weeks but am not sure what to do once it is over in. I guess I am just trying to evaluate my options for the next two years. I hope to re-apply next spring.
An SMP is a waste of time and $$ for you - re-taking the MCAT is an awful lot cheaper
 
Hmm, now I have to ask what you have 35 days for. Because if you're thinking that gets your MCAT score before an AMCAS "deadline" for applying, unfortunately that's not good planning.

With your fantastic GPA, you don't necessarily have to apply on the day AMCAS opens (June 1), but in general, an app that is complete at the end of the summer is a very late app, pretty much a waste of time and money.

I suggest that with a 7 on verbal, and we're in late July, you should sit this app year out. You now know that you need to invest more time (ie months) in MCAT prep.

That's my only suggestion, really, that you should honor the achievement your GPA shows with a comparably impressive MCAT score, and unfortunately (in my view) verbal is the hardest score to improve. I don't see a reasonable way to speed things up. There is no tragedy whatsoever in taking another year before you start med school. The tragedy would be doing Caribbean or wasting app fees because you're in a hurry.

Best of luck to you.
Hello
May I ask you which schools you think I have a better chance with my stats? Thanks for your help!
 
Hello
May I ask you which schools you think I have a better chance with my stats? Thanks for your help!
Your state's public schools will be your best option, and DO schools may be a reasonable option.

Have you already completed an app through AMCAS/AACOMAS/TMDSAS? If not, it's very late to start.

If you do apply with your current stats, then I suggest planning an MCAT retake for January. A 7 on verbal is like a GPA below 3.0. If you can send an update to schools in February/March with a better MCAT score, that might help your case. But if you can't get a better verbal score, than you might as well not do a retake until April or later.

Best of luck to you.
 
Thanks for your reply, yes I have submitted and also submitted a couple of secondaries for GWU and NYMC what do you think about those? will i be able to submit a new MCAT after my secondary? Thanks again.
 
Last accepted MCAT for this cycle is typically September 1st.

I personally wouldnt have applied with a 7 - thats ridic low in that section, and i'm not sure if its overcomeable
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
what about a standard science MS in neuroscience, for example? I see where Mt. Sinai's program even indicates a focus for premeds, but is there a wee bit of prestige added to a med app by earning a MS at say, Case Western or UMich?

PS - sry, this should have been posted on the GPA Improvement thread.
 
what about a standard science MS in neuroscience, for example? I see where Mt. Sinai's program even indicates a focus for premeds, but is there a wee bit of prestige added to a med app by earning a MS at say, Case Western or UMich?

PS - sry, this should have been posted on the GPA Improvement thread.
Personally, I think it's a generally good idea to take a detour from the path to med school if there's something you really want to do. If you really want to have a go at being an actor or professional athlete or working in the Peace Corps or studying molecular biomechanics, and you're afraid you'll never have another chance, then by golly go do it.

One year in a terminal masters, for the sole purpose of buffing a med school app, when you could do something else to get into med school or stabilize your goals, that doesn't cost about $50k, would be a grad school plan that I'm not excited about. Look into what something else might be for you, before you sign up for another year of student debt.

That said, the Mt. Sinai program I would do just to be across the street from Central Park. The Case or UMich program I would do if I had a decent shot at those med schools and wanted to get into a lab there early. There are terminal masters at Johns Hopkins and Dartmouth that I would do instead of an MPH.

My point is that I think a borderline candidate (ie 3.4/30 ish) might get more mileage out of pursuing an interest than from looking for another cookie cutter EC.

Best of luck to you.
 
Hi,

I have done my masters with major in Molecular biology and Biotechnology from India and currently resides in US on H4 visa status. This visa status does not allow to have paid job. I am just wondering that will SMP courses be helpful in getting OPT to work in USA?
 
Hi,

I have done my masters with major in Molecular biology and Biotechnology from India and currently resides in US on H4 visa status. This visa status does not allow to have paid job. I am just wondering that will SMP courses be helpful in getting OPT to work in USA?
I doubt it
 
Hey everyone, I was looking through the MSAR and looking at the bottom 10th percentile of most schools. My undergrad GPA is a 3.38 and a LOT of schools have a 3.4 as their bottom 10th percentile. I am currently in an SMP where I take 8 units of M1 classes which actually represent the entire first half of the M1 curriculum. I know this holds weight when applying, but I don't know how much.

My question is: Should I plan on taking more undergrad classes AFTER my SMP in the summer or something?
 
Hey everyone, I was looking through the MSAR and looking at the bottom 10th percentile of most schools. My undergrad GPA is a 3.38 and a LOT of schools have a 3.4 as their bottom 10th percentile. I am currently in an SMP where I take 8 units of M1 classes which actually represent the entire first half of the M1 curriculum. I know this holds weight when applying, but I don't know how much.

My question is: Should I plan on taking more undergrad classes AFTER my SMP in the summer or something?
Your details are critical for this question, because you're in California, and because you're at a new SMP (USC Global Health) that hasn't put a low-GPA candidate into a UC (that we know of) yet. You're a guinea pig for this SMP, for better or worse. Also: in any other state, 3.38 plus a good MCAT plus a strong SMP performance would be all but a lock on an MD acceptance. So the answer to your question is: who knows?

Before you worry about what to do next June, worry a LOT about having these things tidy by next June:
1. get an MCAT score above the California average. That means a 35+. It might not be possible for you to get a 35+, which shouldn't make you feel inadequate so much as it should motivate you to change your state of residence.
2. kill your SMP, particularly the med school classes.

If you get a high MCAT and you do well in your SMP, by all means apply early and broadly next June. It would be a smart thing to open up an AMCAS app for the current cycle (don't submit it) and use that as a template for what you need to have ready. Get crotchety mean unfriendly faculty or physicians (preferably both) to give you negative feedback on your personal statement as early as possible - positive feedback is a lot easier to get. If you don't have a weekly clinical volunteering gig, start one now.

IMHO USC will be your best bet for med school, so do anything and everything to make yourself known to the admissions office. The UCs should be your second choice, and you should apply to 20+ OOS schools.

As for what happens after June 1, 2012, I suggest considering this after you have your first term's grades at USC.

Best of luck to you.
 
Your details are critical for this question, because you're in California, and because you're at a new SMP (USC Global Health) that hasn't put a low-GPA candidate into a UC (that we know of) yet. You're a guinea pig for this SMP, for better or worse. Also: in any other state, 3.38 plus a good MCAT plus a strong SMP performance would be all but a lock on an MD acceptance. So the answer to your question is: who knows?

Before you worry about what to do next June, worry a LOT about having these things tidy by next June:
1. get an MCAT score above the California average. That means a 35+. It might not be possible for you to get a 35+, which shouldn't make you feel inadequate so much as it should motivate you to change your state of residence.
2. kill your SMP, particularly the med school classes.

If you get a high MCAT and you do well in your SMP, by all means apply early and broadly next June. It would be a smart thing to open up an AMCAS app for the current cycle (don't submit it) and use that as a template for what you need to have ready. Get crotchety mean unfriendly faculty or physicians (preferably both) to give you negative feedback on your personal statement as early as possible - positive feedback is a lot easier to get. If you don't have a weekly clinical volunteering gig, start one now.

IMHO USC will be your best bet for med school, so do anything and everything to make yourself known to the admissions office. The UCs should be your second choice, and you should apply to 20+ OOS schools.

As for what happens after June 1, 2012, I suggest considering this after you have your first term's grades at USC.

Best of luck to you.

Thank you! It seems like I'm on the right track by what you said with everything except the weekly volunteering. You think I should volunteer at the same time I'm doing my medical school classes? It's a pretty heavy load as I'm sure you know and I did clinical volunteer work 8 hours per week throughout undergrad. I would love to volunteer if I had the time, but it just doesn't seem very feasible. You think it's necessary?
 
Thank you! It seems like I'm on the right track by what you said with everything except the weekly volunteering. You think I should volunteer at the same time I'm doing my medical school classes? It's a pretty heavy load as I'm sure you know and I did clinical volunteer work 8 hours per week throughout undergrad. I would love to volunteer if I had the time, but it just doesn't seem very feasible. You think it's necessary?
Look for ad hoc opportunities, like a free clinic doing screening or vaccinations or whatnot on the weekend etc.

Generally it's good, imho, to demonstrate that when you're taking a full load of heavy science that you have something left over. Because in med school, under a ridiculous load of heavy science, you're expected to be involved in free clinics or research or whatnot.

Not required, but a good thing if it doesn't hurt your academics.
 
Greetings All,

After perusing these various forms, I decided to sign-up and ask some questions since you all seem very knowledgable and helpful on these topics.

Let's get right into it.

Firstly, I am a semi-traditional applicant to medical school (ooking for US MD school admission). I studied electrical and electronics engineering for two years and then switched to biomechanics engineering after my second year because I realized I wanted to be a physician. I am completing my 5th year of undergrad (the switch put me back a bit) and will graduate in May.

I have a 3.55 cGPA and ~3.7 BCPM (*haven't exactly calucluated using AMCAS guidelines, have B/C in physics 1 (idk...young), A in physics 2, and A's in Bio 1,2,bio lab, gen chem 1, gen chem2, AB in ochem 1 and 2, A in biochem, A in physiology,)...I didn't do well my first 2 years (3.0 average) because I wasn't that interested in what I was studying and was dis-enchanted with my chosen future profession...but I have 3.7 - 3.9's every semester since I decided to go premed (does the fact that it is engineering mean anything? I feel like engineering can be quite hard at times).

I have a 32R MCAT...I just took it in spring 2011. I couldn't apply this summer because I was volunteering in East Africa (Tanzania) for 3 months (repairing medical equipment at various hospitals and learning swahili, watched some surgeries) - and internet was either spotty or non-existent. Moreover, I want to learn more before I go into medical school - so I was thinking about doing a biochemistry or physiology masters before medical school.

However...after my experience in Africa, I want to get my MD faster so I can help people sooner. I still want to take the year off (and at this point I have to), so I was thinking about doing this accelerated masters since it is only 1 year, that way I won't need to take two. I want a year to grow, mature some more, and learn more before I have to do the medical school 4 year marathon.

1. Do you guys think SMP will be a good fit for me? (I think it could really help my application for some of the good medical schools, but I am worried that they (admissions) will think it was un-needed (but my goal isn't to just help my application, it is to learn more). I mean, my choices are SMP, go back to Africa for a year, or get EMT certified...I think the master's will be harder, but I think in the long run, will make me a better doctor.)


2&3.)I was thinking Georgetown SMP (I like the East Coast). You think I could get in there? If not, what is another really good SMP program?

Sorry for the long post. I really am looking for as many honest responses about what I should do as possible.

Best,
Your Favorite Dairy, Cottage Cheese
 
Hi Everyone,

I'm interested in learning more about the IU Master of Science in Medical Science. I want to hear about different experiences, likes/dislikes, Med school success, MCAT success, etc.

Can anyone help me?!

Thanks!
 
Hi Everyone,

I'm interested in learning more about the IU Master of Science in Medical Science. I want to hear about different experiences, likes/dislikes, Med school success, MCAT success, etc.

Can anyone help me?!

Thanks!
iupui.jpg
 
When you sign up to do an SMP you're effectively signing up to do med school in 5 years. All 5 years can be done with federal loans, which make it possible to defer and/or base payment amounts (during residency etc.) on income. Same thing happens when somebody does poorly in M1 or M2 and has to remediate.

Generally if you need an SMP to get into med school, you are off the reservation, as far as financially prudent life plans go. The assumption is that you'll make it up during practice.

Best of luck to you.
 
Unless you got $50k lying around - yes

Jeez. Well the SMP at Drexel is my top choice and it costs around $30k instead of Georgetown and other private schools which are averaging around $50k.

Still a ton of money, no doubt going to add to my loan. 😱😱
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Jeez. Well the SMP at Drexel is my top choice and it costs around $30k instead of Georgetown and other private schools which are averaging around $50k.

Still a ton of money, no doubt going to add to my loan. 😱😱
Its prob $30k plus living expenses (which is about $1500-$2k per mo in Philly, which I based on having lived there for 2yrs)

So its about $45k for a year there after everything is said and done.
 
Yeah I guess so..

On another note, if I take these courses with the med students and then get accepted at Drexel Med, do I have to take them again? That would seem like a waste of time.
 
Yeah I guess so..

On another note, if I take these courses with the med students and then get accepted at Drexel Med, do I have to take them again? That would seem like a waste of time.

The short answer is no, you don't have to retake classes.

The long answer is that you probably want to take most of them again anyway (especially the more important ones), you have to take the IMS-optional finals for any you want to skip, and you're still paying the full MS1 tuition regardless. Most people end up opting out of Microanatomy and Nutrition.
 
On another note, if I take these courses with the med students and then get accepted at Drexel Med, do I have to take them again? That would seem like a waste of time.
If Drexel makes you retake classes, shut up, you got into med school. Also: you'll be better situated for grades & boards.

Spending time and money, in ways you'd rather not, is just what happens with a GPA comeback. If you can get into med school in a more optimal way, go for it, otherwise you're just whining.

I suggest you will want to read up on the Drexel program's pros and cons. There are a lot of other choices that might be a better story for you.

Best of luck to you.
 
May as well ask here...

Canadian here, graduating with Honors Biochemistry in June, 2012. Despite the honors title, my GPA is not stellar 🙁 I'm not quite sure in the conversions from my school to the 4.0 scale, but I've calculated it to be a 3.1-3.4...I've seen a few conversions and the lowest one puts me at 3.1, highest at 3.4. I have 1 F that I've already retaken and gotten an A, but still a couple other low marks.

Taking my MCAT in January, got a good study schedule lined up for 3 months that I've already started.

ECs are nothing spectacular, so I'm looking for volunteer opportunities right now, but realistically I'd start volunteering after my MCAT in January.

Currently taking Physics 2 and English, on track for As. Next semester I have a 4th Biochemistry course.

My plan is to apply to a number of SMPs, as I think I can do fairly decent on the MCAT. Aiming for 34+.

Georgetown SMP is number 1 choice right now, followed by the BU SMP, and then a few others. Even after doing a 1-2 year SMP, I'll still be considered a Canadian when applying to med schools.

What do you all (DrMidlife!) think my chances are at med school if I apply early in the cycle and I apply broadly? (I'm thinking 20-40 schools). If anyone also knows of a specific SMP that has shown success for Canadians, then by all means please post!

And how about chances at a DO? I know my GPA is weak in all regards, but I'm hoping an SMP will help greatly with that and improve my odds at a MD program. What I'm really concerned about is my lack of ECs. I've been volunteering at 2 Optometry clinics for about 1-1.5 years. I really wanted patient contact, and unfortunately hospitals usually just make me clear garbage from rooms or change bed sheets. Lots of standing around doing nothing.

And I'll be honest, I really don't like research. I know it looks good and all on an application, and I am willing to find a clinical study or something next semester and over next summer IF it will improve my chances a lot more than volunteering will. I've read up a lot on researching and I think the gist is that research will help on an application but doing something interesting and/or something I like would be equally good.

If anyone has any other tips, I'd appreciate them too! With regards to SMPs specifically...will a SMP help my low GPA even though I'm a Canadian?

I'm quite lucky in that I have some savings from tutoring every summer since high school. I'm also super lucky in that my parents said they would loan me all the money I need for medical school and SMPs etc. and that I can pay them back after I'm earning my own salary. I know I am lucky in this regard!

Last thing I want to say is...I'd really, really rather avoid the Caribbeans. Please, if you really do recommend them and think it would be best for me, please state why. I sincerely can't see any situation where I see myself having an easier path there than putting all my effort into an SMP and trying for a US MD program.

EDIT: I applied to Optometry last year and did get accepted, but I really want a shot at a MD and try my best at it before I choose to devote my career to Optometry. Anyways, I checked my Optometry app and I do have a few other ECs that I haven't added, and some minor, some significant. I should also add that I have no particular state in mind to attend medical school in, I'll go to any of them.

I also have 2 more questions: what are committee letters and committee interviews? I've been reading people have them ready when submitting their AMCAS application. Sorry I'm not sure what they are, I've never heard of them at any Canadian University. Personally, I only have 4 LORs right now; 2 from professors and 2 from the doctors at the Optometry clinics. I can maybe get a 3rd letter if I start volunteering soon.

And my other question is...I know BU SMP is 2 years and that after the 1st year in the program, you'll start getting letters from your SMP profs and committees and all that...all of which you can use when you apply to medical school after 1st year in the program. Isn't this better than the 1 year programs like Georgetown? If you apply before coming to Georgetown, then you won't be able to get letters from your SMP profs. Won't LORs from profs in the SMP program hold a lot of weight, like enough weight to say that a 2 year program is better than 1 year?

Ok last question! I've also read that a large amount of students first finish their SMP and then apply to medical school. What do most people do in this 1 year gap and what do you all recommend to do in that time space?

Thanks and sorry if the answers to my questions seem really obvious!
 
Last edited:
If Drexel makes you retake classes, shut up, you got into med school. Also: you'll be better situated for grades & boards.

Spending time and money, in ways you'd rather not, is just what happens with a GPA comeback. If you can get into med school in a more optimal way, go for it, otherwise you're just whining.

I suggest you will want to read up on the Drexel program's pros and cons. There are a lot of other choices that might be a better story for you.

Best of luck to you.

:poke:
Yeah I guess I am whining but I just wanted to know if I would make all these contacts/friends and then have to be "held back" because I have to retake all the classes again. Yeah I'll be better at boards etc, but I just wanted to know.

What do you suggest I read up on that could be a "better story" for me?
 
What do you suggest I read up on that could be a "better story" for me?
I suggest a school like Cincy or EVMS, where most of the SMP class stays at the host school, and where the M1s who stay are already known by faculty and staff, and have TA opportunities for the classes where they got honors during the SMP, could be a better story.

Or Georgetown or Loyola, where the program directors bend over backwards to make sure you get into med school (assuming you do well in the SMP).

Other reading would educate you about the learning environment at Drexel, which may or may not be a good story for you.

Best of luck to you.
 
:poke:
Yeah I guess I am whining but I just wanted to know if I would make all these contacts/friends and then have to be "held back" because I have to retake all the classes again. Yeah I'll be better at boards etc, but I just wanted to know.

That wouldn't really be a concern because you won't make any contacts or friends in the MS1 class due to the geographical separation. You can certainly tutor for classes you did well in during the IMS year, however, which is a good way to stay fresh for the boards if you decide not to retake something.

Other reading would educate you about the learning environment at Drexel, which may or may not be a good story for you.

Some people have issues w/ the Center City administration, and the IMS-->DUCOM "linkage" is only about 50/50 for people who get the guaranteed interview. That said, the "learning environment" was perfectly fine, and even so by the end of 1st semester you'll probably be watching lectures the exact same way the MS1 students are (i.e. on your living room couch at 2x speed).
 
Hi, everyone!

I am new here, so I am very sorry if this question was already asked. So when I'm calculating my GPA to apply to these programs, do they do the academic forgiveness thing like how the undergrad universities do it (16 units of retaken classes can be replaced)? Or is it like amcas where every grade is counted separately? Thanks for your time!
 
Hi, everyone!

I am new here, so I am very sorry if this question was already asked. So when I'm calculating my GPA to apply to these programs, do they do the academic forgiveness thing like how the undergrad universities do it (16 units of retaken classes can be replaced)? Or is it like amcas where every grade is counted separately? Thanks for your time!
They don't state which formula they use - you don't have to enter your grades into an AMCAS system for post-bacs/SMPs so I doubt they do it on their end.

I would recommend getting used to the AMCAS and AACOMAS way of calculating GPAs and forget how your undergrad calculated it.
 
I suggest a school like Cincy or EVMS, where most of the SMP class stays at the host school, and where the M1s who stay are already known by faculty and staff, and have TA opportunities for the classes where they got honors during the SMP, could be a better story.

Or Georgetown or Loyola, where the program directors bend over backwards to make sure you get into med school (assuming you do well in the SMP).

Other reading would educate you about the learning environment at Drexel, which may or may not be a good story for you.

Best of luck to you.

Oh alright. Hmm yes I haven't done a ton of research into the many programs out there. I will be applying next year though, so I should get on it. Georgetown would be a tough SMP to consider since for its cost.
 
I completed the SMP at UMDNJ-GSBS on the Stratford Campus. Any questions feel feel to shoot me a message!
Hey (and also to everyone here)
I need help getting started. I have read the forums about low gpa and taking a special master's program to help with that problem. The thing is these admissions to these programs require a minimum of 3.0 gpa.
My story:
I graduated in 2009 with BS Biochemistry/BS chemsitry with a below 3.0 GPA. my BCMP GPA 2.7-2.8. I took 2 years to work in pharmaceuticals and now am going for medical school. I quit my job to study full time to take the mcat soon in january. got princetonr review books and everything. I know taking the mcat is 1 of my important steps to take first for entry into SMP's. But with these admissions of min 3.0 gpa how am I supposed to get into these programs? I saw from these threads people do their own post bac work. So should I just go to a school and start taking classes to up my gpa till I get entry to an smp? and exactly what classes would I be taking to up my gpa? I have taken tons of science classes bc of my double major so do i just retake them (the pre reqs for med school)?

I would really appreciate any insite help from anyone, especially those in the same boat as me. Thanks guys. 🙂
 
Hey (and also to everyone here)
I need help getting started. I have read the forums about low gpa and taking a special master's program to help with that problem. The thing is these admissions to these programs require a minimum of 3.0 gpa.
My story:
I graduated in 2009 with BS Biochemistry/BS chemsitry with a below 3.0 GPA. my BCMP GPA 2.7-2.8. I took 2 years to work in pharmaceuticals and now am going for medical school. I quit my job to study full time to take the mcat soon in january. got princetonr review books and everything. I know taking the mcat is 1 of my important steps to take first for entry into SMP's. But with these admissions of min 3.0 gpa how am I supposed to get into these programs? I saw from these threads people do their own post bac work. So should I just go to a school and start taking classes to up my gpa till I get entry to an smp? and exactly what classes would I be taking to up my gpa? I have taken tons of science classes bc of my double major so do i just retake them (the pre reqs for med school)?

I would really appreciate any insite help from anyone, especially those in the same boat as me. Thanks guys. 🙂

A post-bacc with upper-division science classes would be most helpful. Retake science classes where you have gotten bad grades (those C's or lower). And even with a double major, I am sure a decent post-bacc college can offer upper-division science classes that you have not taken. Take a look at their catalogs and class schedules before applying.

After you get that minimum GPA to 3.0, you can start thinking about doing more post-bacc work or an SMP.

Good luck.
 
Hey guys, I need some guidance with what to do with my life and I need some unbiased responses please!

I'm a senior undergrad pre-med student currently with a 3.8 GPA, 2+ years experience with a medical internship in a private medical office, 1.5 years of research with my university in the microbiology department, 2 years of being a student tutor with my university, and bunch of other extra curriculars and clubs that I am involved with. I am also an honors student.

Now, my dilemmna is this....I took my MCAT and completely bombed it with a score in the high teens. My dream is to get into Med school of course. I don't think that retaking the beast will help me at all and I have not applied to med schools for the 2012 fall cycle...

I am looking at alternative routes to get into med school like a BMS (masters in biomedical sciences) program in some of the universities around me in the Chicago area.

Do you guys recommend applying to these BMS programs and other masters programs with this horrible mcat score or should I take the GRE and try to get in with that??????

I've talked to plenty of admissions recruiters for these schools and they all said to apply to their masters programs with my low MCAT score since I have such a strong application overall (minus the MCAT of course).

Is anyone else in the same boat here??? PLEASE ADVISE!!! 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Now, my dilemmna is this....I took my MCAT and completely bombed it with a score in the high teens. My dream is to get into Med school of course. I don't think that retaking the beast will help me at all and I have not applied to med schools for the 2012 fall cycle...
You aren't getting out of taking the MCAT again. If you get into a program like an SMP or BMS, you still have to have a minimum MCAT score (usually high 20's) to get into med school.

What MCAT prep did you do? Why do you think you got a low score? Are you aware that you have to take hours-to-days-long structured multiple choice exams throughout a medical career, particularly once or twice a week during med school? You really do have to be good at structured exams.
I am looking at alternative routes to get into med school like a BMS (masters in biomedical sciences) program in some of the universities around me in the Chicago area.
An SMP or BMS or MBS would be entirely inappropriate for you. The only good reason to drop $50k to $75k on a medical masters is: GPA damage that can't be improved by doing more undergrad. You don't get out of the MCAT by doing a medical masters.
Do you guys recommend applying to these BMS programs
No.
and other masters programs
A program that includes MCAT prep might be appropriate, such as Tufts.
or should I take the GRE and try to get in with that??????
Programs that accept GRE scores do so as a placeholder for an MCAT score. You're not getting out of the MCAT.
I've talked to plenty of admissions recruiters for these schools and they all said to apply to their masters programs with my low MCAT score since I have such a strong application overall (minus the MCAT of course).
These are salespeople. Know where they'll be after your tuition is paid? Nowhere to be found.
Is anyone else in the same boat here??? PLEASE ADVISE!!! 🙂
The MCAT forum has a ton of info on how to approach the test.

Best of luck to you.
 
Dr. M:

What is the fine gpa line between needing an SMP or just a grade-enhancer/booster? Yes, I realize it's a whole lotta grey, but would a 3.4/3.5 sgpa (3.8+ all other) senior be better off seeking a second undergrad science major, a science Masters or SMP (with its inherent do-or-die risk)?
 
Dr. M:

What is the fine gpa line between needing an SMP or just a grade-enhancer/booster? Yes, I realize it's a whole lotta grey, but would a 3.4/3.5 sgpa (3.8+ all other) senior be better off seeking a second undergrad science major, a science Masters or SMP (with its inherent do-or-die risk)?
Sounds like your cGPA is going to be in the 3.5-3.6 range which is fine for medical school admissions. And an SMP is definitely not appropriate.

If you have the MCAT/DAT then go ahead and apply; no need for an additional coursework if you dont want it (unless you tanked a pre-req and then u might wanna repeat it, but even that is debatable)
 
science gpa is hovering around a ~3.4/3.5 (generally B/B+ first semester and A/A- second semester -- lousy HS science background). All other courses are 4.0 (so far). Lit major, so more non-science courses than science courses. cgpa 3.7+. Calif resident.

That low a sgpa is doable with a decent mcat (32+)?
 
science gpa is hovering around a ~3.4/3.5 (generally B/B+ first semester and A/A- second semester -- lousy HS science background). All other courses are 4.0 (so far). Lit major, so more non-science courses than science courses. cgpa 3.7+. Calif resident.

That low a sgpa is doable with a decent mcat (32+)?

3.4 is not a low sGPA at all (below a 3.0 is low...); did you do all the pre-reqs?