The Official July 12, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HinduHammer

Righteous in Wrath
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
2.5 months away, let's get started. Time to study and motivate each other!!

Me so far: Taking Kaplan online. 23 diagnostic (8,12,3). Applying for class entering Fall 2015.

My studying so far has been minimal, though I am halfway through the kaplan online course. I was planning to take June 5 but decided to push it back. After my final exams next week, I will be studying mostly full-time from May 12-July 12. My biggest weakness is bio content and timing - I cannot read the passages fast enough.

What are your stories/plans/goals??

Let's do this!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
also, I have some of the old Kaplan tests (the longer ones). Anyone know how hard they are? Also, what about Kaplan verbal?

I don't know about the old longer ones, but I have the newer Kaplan material. The general consensus is that they are harder/more detail oriented than AAMC, but have an easier curve than AAMC (so it somewhat balances out). I find Kaplan verbal harder than AAMC (whereas I find EK easier), but I've heard people say the opposite as well. Some people think Kaplan VR is too detail oriented and not conceptual enough.

Members don't see this ad :)
just took AAMC 5 got a 36 - 11/14/11. although i'm happy about that total score, i'm worried my highest section is verbal because it's so possible to get a few wrong in that section. any tips on how to raise my sciences by a few points? do you think i can do it by july 12th?

@aimingforthat45 how have you been doing on the AAMC FL tests so far?

haven't taken one yet. I'm not putting much stock into them though. not going to use them for predictive value, but still will obviously use them to get practice and get a feel for the types of questions AAMCs ask. I'm a second time retaker so although I don't remember them (it's been a year), there will be some element of familiarity.

just took AAMC 5 got a 36 - 11/14/11. although i'm happy about that total score, i'm worried my highest section is verbal because it's so possible to get a few wrong in that section. any tips on how to raise my sciences by a few points? do you think i can do it by july 12th?

i think it's easier to up your science if anything. what's your trick haha? Just learn to critically analyze and utilize the passage for sciences. Also, note your weak areas and do a **** ton passages in those weak areas unit they are a strength.

i think it's easier to up your science if anything. what's your trick haha? Just learn to critically analyze and utilize the passage for sciences. Also, note your weak areas and do a **** ton passages in those weak areas unit they are a strength.

honestly have no trick for verbal. i started with a 12 and have not gotten below that on the aamcs so far. i read like a lot of books all the time so i don't feel a time crunch during it which i think is one of the biggest factors. but stay away from extreme answers and make sure that you always find justification for your answers in the passage so that you're not reading into it.

if i could just up my sciences by a few points each that would be awesome. one problem also is that i tend to lose points on the discretes not the passages, because i think the passages are more like verbal anyway. july 12th is so close!

Anyone else starting to feel reallllly nervous??
Been nervous for most of the time haha. As for myself, I'm just tackling my weakest points now and finishing up the books that I have. After this week, next week will be mostly practice exams and the official AAMC green book.

haven't taken one yet. I'm not putting much stock into them though. not going to use them for predictive value, but still will obviously use them to get practice and get a feel for the types of questions AAMCs ask. I'm a second time retaker so although I don't remember them (it's been a year), there will be some element of familiarity.
I think that if it's been a year since you last took the AAMCs, or any other practice test and you a haven't looked over them in that time they're still good for practice and predicting scores, as you're likely not going to remember any of the passages or questions. But yeah, I'm just freaking out since I can't find a good way of evaluating where I stand in terms of the actual test.

And for verbal, I know that everyone that I've heard does well on it is an avid reader. Too bad it's a little late to just start speed reading every day haha

Quick question - I've been going through the Kaplan bio high yield problems this morning, and one of them asked "If blood enters the superior vena cava, what is the last structure it enters before exiting the heart?"

The answer was the left ventricle, but I thought the right ventricle would be more correct, considering that the blood leaves the heart to go to the lungs and then comes back... Thoughts?

Quick question - I've been going through the Kaplan bio high yield problems this morning, and one of them asked "If blood enters the superior vena cava, what is the last structure it enters before exiting the heart?"

The answer was the left ventricle, but I thought the right ventricle would be more correct, considering that the blood leaves the heart to go to the lungs and then comes back... Thoughts?

Let's see...DeOxy blood comes from IVC and SVC and goes to R atrium --> R ventricle --> pulmonary arteries --> oxy blood goes to haert via pulmonary veins --> L atrium --> Left ventricle --> Aorta

So, I guess they are considering blood that becomes oxygenated...I see where you're coming from though. The blood leaves the heart, gets oxygenated, then comes back to the heart before it "leaves" for real.

Reactions: 1 user

Yeah. It's kind of an ambiguous question. I think they mean that what is the last structure it leaves before it leaves the heart to the systemic circuit (ala oxygenated blood). Because the oxygenate of the SVC and PA are both deoxygenated, so maybe they mean oxygenated blood.

I'm with you on this one. Should be right ventricle.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm with you on this one. Should be right ventricle.

Hey I think they are talking about circulation because I believe that once it enters leaves the superior/inferior vena cava the deoxygenated blood enters the pulmonary circulation (heart and lungs) and then it leaves the heart for good in the left ventricle for the systemic circulation.

Yeah. It's kind of an ambiguous question. I think they mean that what is the last structure it leaves before it leaves the heart to the systemic circuit (ala oxygenated blood). Because the oxygenate of the SVC and PA are both deoxygenated, so maybe they mean oxygenated blood.
It's ambiguous as to the writer's intent, but as written the answer is unarguably right ventricle.

Yeah, seems like it was just a poorly written question. Hopefully things are clearer on test day!

Are you guys planning on memorizing the cleavage sites of trypsin, chymotrysin, etc? Or would you say it's not worthwhile?

Just took AAMC 4 and got a 31 - 10,11,10. I feel...ambivalent. Poor sleep last few nights and feeling less than stellar but wanted to take it because time is approaching! Overall I felt more comfortable with the pacing. Started implementing the Kaplan strategy of "triaging" where I quickly go through every passage noting the amount of questions and difficulty per passage while doing the discretes. This led to me at least finishing most every question, though I did guess on a few of PS (incorrectly it looks like). I felt this exam tested my weak points, the parts where I haven't done rigorous content review yet, aka excretory and endocrine system, orgo in general (lol), fluids, microbiology, etc. I feel "OK" with my progress in that I am still only about 66% done with content review, but very poorly given that I am registered for July 12. I'll be honest foks, I am thinking of pushing back my MCAT a few weeks. Unlike some other people on this thread, I am not where I want to be yet in terms of scores or preparedness (not to mention this world cup action is throwing a severe wrench in my works).

I was shooting for a 35 on this test, hoping for something like a 12,12,12, and I guess wasn't TOO far off the mark with a 10,11,10. I think if I finish my content review (or as its close as its gonna be to being finished) in the next 3-5 days and shift all focus to AAMC SAs and FLs I might be in striking range of where I want to be. Otherwise I may decide to push back for a few weeks. We shall see. Now time to fully debrief this bad boy!

Just took AAMC 4 and got a 31 - 10,11,10. I feel...ambivalent. Poor sleep last few nights and feeling less than stellar but wanted to take it because time is approaching! Overall I felt more comfortable with the pacing. Started implementing the Kaplan strategy of "triaging" where I quickly go through every passage noting the amount of questions and difficulty per passage while doing the discretes. This led to me at least finishing most every question, though I did guess on a few of PS (incorrectly it looks like). I felt this exam tested my weak points, the parts where I haven't done rigorous content review yet, aka excretory and endocrine system, orgo in general (lol), fluids, microbiology, etc. I feel "OK" with my progress in that I am still only about 66% done with content review, but very poorly given that I am registered for July 12. I'll be honest foks, I am thinking of pushing back my MCAT a few weeks. Unlike some other people on this thread, I am not where I want to be yet in terms of scores or preparedness (not to mention this world cup action is throwing a severe wrench in my works).

I was shooting for a 35 on this test, hoping for something like a 12,12,12, and I guess wasn't TOO far off the mark with a 10,11,10. I think if I finish my content review (or as its close as its gonna be to being finished) in the next 3-5 days and shift all focus to AAMC SAs and FLs I might be in striking range of where I want to be. Otherwise I may decide to push back for a few weeks. We shall see. Now time to fully debrief this bad boy!
Sounds like you're making progress! Just watch out for the law of diminishing returns... case in point I've been stuck at a 33 for the last 6 practice tests I've taken. Finally got a 12 on the PS section of AAMC 9 today, but ran out of time on verbal and got a 10 on it as a result, so I'm back at 33.

I haven't done any triaging, but I think if you're having trouble with pacing the best way to improve on that is just to do a lot of tests. Also don't let yourself get bogged down in certain questions that you know are going to take a long time for you to work through. If you think there's one that requires a lot of thinking, just take your best guess, mark it, and move on. If you do this you should have a little time at the end to go back to the questions you skipped.

Quick question though, I ran into a few problems on AAMC 9 that had to do with the molecular weight and general position of Al on the periodic table. I know for Gold Standard FLs they give you a periodic table. Is that something we will be allowed to use on the real test? I missed 2 of my physics questions because of that. Might have even had a 13 if I had had a table.

Sounds like you're making progress! Just watch out for the law of diminishing returns... case in point I've been stuck at a 33 for the last 6 practice tests I've taken. Finally got a 12 on the PS section of AAMC 9 today, but ran out of time on verbal and got a 10 on it as a result, so I'm back at 33.

I haven't done any triaging, but I think if you're having trouble with pacing the best way to improve on that is just to do a lot of tests. Also don't let yourself get bogged down in certain questions that you know are going to take a long time for you to work through. If you think there's one that requires a lot of thinking, just take your best guess, mark it, and move on. If you do this you should have a little time at the end to go back to the questions you skipped.

Quick question though, I ran into a few problems on AAMC 9 that had to do with the molecular weight and general position of Al on the periodic table. I know for Gold Standard FLs they give you a periodic table. Is that something we will be allowed to use on the real test? I missed 2 of my physics questions because of that. Might have even had a 13 if I had had a table.

Hey thanks for the tip. Yes sometimes I get a question that is on the tip of my tongue (brain) so I spend way too much time on it. For example, open ended pipe, what is the wavelength if the pip is 1m long and d=.1m, is the equation L=lambda*n/2 or L=lambda*n/4 .. Grr let me just spend 5 minutes trying to figure that out and as a result rush through an entire passage in 5 minutes at the end! :bang:

Re periodic table. Yes, you will have a button that says "exhibit" and that will open a popup of the periodic table. This table will have the symbols, atomic numbers, and weights but no other info like full element name, family labels, etc.

Re getting stuck, if you take AAMC tests they give you a breakdown of what type of questions you get wrong which might help you. For ex on VR today I got 13/13 on comprehension questions but only 3/6 on "incorporation of ideas" questions.

yeah I'm going through my tests now for that kind of thing. My problem is that most of my errors are either stupid mistakes or scattered across different categories and subjects, so it's harder to work on my weaknesses. Haven't done much in the way of trying to improve my VR, but I might go through my EK VR book tomorrow, since it looks like I could use some help with VR.

About the periodic table: wow, I feel dumb. I just assumed that was the button to show the answers to a problem. This was also the first time I have seen problems where I had to do calculations with yields etc. where the molecules involved were uncommon (ie. not O, N, C, H, or the other ones that everyone knows). But I guess it's better I figure this out now.

Something I've found helpful when reviewing the Verbal portion of my FLs: When you actually take the FL, make sure to use the marking tool to cross off answers that you KNOW are not it, this way when you go to review the answers you can focus in on which answers you thought had potential at the time of taking the test and zero in on why one was wrong and one was right (assuming you crossed off two others). I found this helps reinforce my thinking patterns on the questions I got right because I am able to almost go back to the way of thinking I was using during the test. It also obviously helps you figure out why you got certain ones wrong as well.

Reactions: 1 users
Took GS 7 today. Did a "meh" 33 (11,10,12). However, for physics I definitely rushed. There were two passages that I did in under 7 mins, so that was probably a reason why I got the score I got. There were definitely a decent amount of calculations on this one, so it's definitely something I can learn from in terms of budgeting my time. Normally I'm good with time for PS, finish with about 10 mins, but this one I think i didn't budget my time as well. Post game and on to the next one!

Took GS 7 today. Did a "meh" 33 (11,10,12). However, for physics I definitely rushed. There were two passages that I did in under 7 mins, so that was probably a reason why I got the score I got. There were definitely a decent amount of calculations on this one, so it's definitely something I can learn from in terms of budgeting my time. Normally I'm good with time for PS, finish with about 10 mins, but this one I think i didn't budget my time as well. Post game and on to the next one!
How are the later GS exams? I have taken GS1 and GS2 and I only have GS3, AAMC 10 and 11 to go. Would you recommend buying any more GS exams?

How are the later GS exams? I have taken GS1 and GS2 and I only have GS3, AAMC 10 and 11 to go. Would you recommend buying any more GS exams?

The later ones I would say are much tougher. I got a 37 in GS3 and then from then on, I haven't been able to match up. Maybe that's also me, and maybe the tests have hit my weaknesses, so it's definitely relative. But i just feel like there are more calculations. Also, in general, some of the GS questions are vague. As well as some of their diagrams. All in all, good practice. If you can't fit them in as complete exams, I would do them as sectionals. At least the PS and BS sections, their verbal is so so.

Less than two weeks left now!!

I wrote AAMC 9 yesterday - scored a 41 (14 PS, 13 VR, 14 BS). I'm really hoping everything doesn't go to **** on the real thing haha

Took GS 8 today- 35 (12,11,12). It looks like everything as been around that score for me on these GS tests. I'm going to do AAMC tests from now on, so we'll see how they translate.

Also, took AAMC 3 a few days ago, but forgot to post it up on here. I think someone was asking me how I did on them. I'm not putting any predictive value because I did them last year. Regardless, I don't remember them/I didn't remember stuff when I took the test. But I got a 39 (13, 13, 13). Definitely a change in the types of questions from GS. Going to really critically review this and focus on techniques, rather than results.

Having a rough few days....my FL scores are down, I'm just really struggling with TIME in the PS section!! I understand most of the questions I end up getting wrong, but the time barrier just keeps me rushed constantly (I have never been a fast test taker). Canceling most of my plans for this holiday weekend was a heartbreaker too =/ This test is soul crushing!

Having a rough few days....my FL scores are down, I'm just really struggling with TIME in the PS section!! I understand most of the questions I end up getting wrong, but the time barrier just keeps me rushed constantly (I have never been a fast test taker). Canceling most of my plans for this holiday weekend was a heartbreaker too =/ This test is soul crushing!

Keep up the good work!! One thing that helps me for PS passages is looking at the questions before looking at the passage. Sometimes you don't even have to fully understand the nuances of the passage to get all the questions right. I used to waste alot of time reading the passage and mapping it before doing any of the problems, now I glance at the passage for big picture and tables and then answer the questions first. Also, answer all the discretes first before tacking the passage! (These things have helped me). Only a few more weeks and you will be done!!

Reactions: 1 users
The later ones I would say are much tougher. I got a 37 in GS3 and then from then on, I haven't been able to match up. Maybe that's also me, and maybe the tests have hit my weaknesses, so it's definitely relative. But i just feel like there are more calculations. Also, in general, some of the GS questions are vague. As well as some of their diagrams. All in all, good practice. If you can't fit them in as complete exams, I would do them as sectionals. At least the PS and BS sections, their verbal is so so.

took GS 3 today, ALSO got a 37... coming off BR 1, GS 1, and GS 2... with 32, 33, 34 respectively. I cant tell if im in good shape or if their tests are just a joke. the physical sciences had wayy too many calculations, the verbal questions weren't hard enough. the bio though I felt was fair, if not a little too easy with the orgo. the emphasis on molecular bio was good. but asking what nerve innervates the bladder was kinda stupid

took GS 3 today, ALSO got a 37... coming off BR 1, GS 1, and GS 2... with 32, 33, 34 respectively. I cant tell if im in good shape or if their tests are just a joke. the physical sciences had wayy too many calculations, the verbal questions weren't hard enough. the bio though I felt was fair, if not a little too easy with the orgo. the emphasis on molecular bio was good. but asking what nerve innervates the bladder was kinda stupid

yeah, some of the questions you kind of scratch your head. Gotta take the good with the bad though. The later tests are much tougher IMO. Their PS sections get really calculation heavy, which is good, because I think one of the May examinations had a lot of calculations. I've had trouble finishing the later GS tests and I would consider myself decently strong at doing calculations fast (and accurately). If you go through their 10 tests though, it should expose your underlying weaknesses. Also, you and I both have the same GS tests through 3 tests. I got 33,34,37 on GS 1,2,3 haha

yeah, I don't know about them. for some reason I don't think im ever gonna feel FULLY prepared because the real thing is so much different from every practice test out there, even the aamcs which are sorta getting outdated. for some reason I feel like the real thing is gonna have SUPER long, dense passages, and the questions are gonna be hard as hell, especially the verbal and bio. the physical is really the only section I think is fair- mostly because calculations are, for the most part, straightforward and don't require intense thinking.

Can someone concisely explain the functions and differences between the ductus venosus, ductus ateriosus, and foramen ovale? If I'm not mistaken, the foramen ovale just connects the left and right atria to avoid both oxy/deoxy blood going into the ventricles, right? I'm having trouble finding a clear, concise explanation of their functions and differences between them. Thanks!

update - took AAMC 7 got a 38 (13/15/10). that bio score is crushing me, can i get that up in like A WEEK???

Can someone concisely explain the functions and differences between the ductus venosus, ductus ateriosus, and foramen ovale? If I'm not mistaken, the foramen ovale just connects the left and right atria to avoid both oxy/deoxy blood going into the ventricles, right? I'm having trouble finding a clear, concise explanation of their functions and differences between them. Thanks!

I am not there yet in my revision but I have something for you, hope it helps
search

https://www.inkling.com/read/before...8th/chapter-14/fetal-and-neonatal-circulation

What are everyone's plans for the remaining week and a half? :)

I am planning on taking GS 10 and AAMC 9, 10, and 11 (The only GS and AAMC I have left). Then doing as any problems as humanly possible! Haha I am getting very nervous now. This next week is going to go by in a flash.

foramen ovale connects the atria, ductus venosus shunts fetal blood away from the liver, and ductus arteriosus shunts blood away from the lungs.

haha thanks but i think i would rather have your distribution. how did you prep for bio? any way to pull it up to a 12-13 in a week?

I'm a retaker. I've taken these AAMCs last summer, so I'm taking my scores with a grain of salt. For bio, what I did was go back to the originals source. Idk if you have time, but for both genetics and physiology, I read my original textbooks (twice) and made notes. If you're having problem with critical thinking on bio though, do more passages. TPRH SW advanced passages are great for these.

What are everyone's plans for the remaining week and a half? :)

Doing K8 and 9, and AAMC 10 and 11... Other than that, just going over some notes, etc, nothing too drastic. At this point, I feel like it's gonna come down to whether I get tested on all my weaknesses or not haha.

Nice score improvement everyone!!

finished GS 4, 35. as much as I hate Kaplan and their whole "passage map" crap (which by the way is the dumbest thing ever, don't use it), id say their practice tests are actually a lot better. the passages are much more creative, they don't recycle anything, there aren't as many spelling or grammatical errors, the explanations are more thorough, and i at least feel like they put in the EFFORT to write a decent test. and the verbal makes you think. GS is straight up reading comprehension- all of it. the answers to almost all the questions are verbatim in the passage... and the EXACT wording is in the answers. that will NEVER happen on the real thing. I don't know about them. I feel like they're kind of a lazy test prep company.

update - took AAMC 7 got a 38 (13/15/10). that bio score is crushing me, can i get that up in like A WEEK???

Ugh I took AAMC 7 yesterday. I got crushed by verbal. 14/8/12. I even went back and did the verbal again, only got up to a 9. I reviewed the answers I just don't understand where I am going wrong with verbal. I can't even fathom getting a 15 on verbal.

Ugh I took AAMC 7 yesterday. I got crushed by verbal. 14/8/12. I even went back and did the verbal again, only got up to a 9. I reviewed the answers I just don't understand where I am going wrong with verbal. I can't even fathom getting a 15 on verbal.

i actually did that one yesterday. i did it from aamc 7R, when the test was longer. so it was 9 passages in 85 minutes, 60 questions. there were some rough passages in that one. the one about the economy and the three different roads was hell.

i actually did that one yesterday. i did it from aamc 7R, when the test was longer. so it was 9 passages in 85 minutes, 60 questions. there were some rough passages in that one. the one about the economy and the three different roads was hell.

Yes I totally disagreed with the question on "If I train my workers, competitors who save money by not providing training will be able to attract my trained workers..." What solution would the author agree with? The picked the answer about supporting regulatory practices. The answer was about repaying tuition. That made no sense. When I checked the answers it was like, well its not regulatory practices because he only mentioned regulatory practices once...well he didn't talk about repaying tuition even once, but that's the answer. The answer wants you to stretch something else he said into meaning repaying tuition, I just thought that answer was ridiculous and it actually made me quite mad.

Yes I totally disagreed with the question on "If I train my workers, competitors who save money by not providing training will be able to attract my trained workers..." What solution would the author agree with? The picked the answer about supporting regulatory practices. The answer was about repaying tuition. That made no sense. When I checked the answers it was like, well its not regulatory practices because he only mentioned regulatory practices once...well he didn't talk about repaying tuition even once, but that's the answer. The answer wants you to stretch something else he said into meaning repaying tuition, I just thought that answer was ridiculous and it actually made me quite mad.

I don't mean to sound like a bitch, but sometimes I want to cry a little bit in the middle of the verbal section... especially when I see questions like that. I did get that one right though... and I was actually able to eliminate regulatory policies right away. here's the way I look at it: the guy training his workers wants a guarantee that hes not gonna lose money or time in case they decide to go somewhere else. the supporting regulatory policies would penalize OTHER people if they tried any crap to recruit his guys. but it doesn't directly HELP him, it just hurts them. the author mentions that high road people don't want to cut costs, so that's out right away. and recruiting workers who have been trained by others, again, doesn't REALLY guarantee a solution to the guy's problem. hes getting some other company's workers and potentially losing his own, along with time and money. by forcing them to repay tuition, he has a GUARANTEE that there will be no significant loss in case anything happens.

the verbal section single handedly crushes dreams for medical school.

I don't mean to sound like a bitch, but sometimes I want to cry a little bit in the middle of the verbal section... especially when I see questions like that. I did get that one right though... and I was actually able to eliminate regulatory policies right away. here's the way I look at it: the guy training his workers wants a guarantee that hes not gonna lose money or time in case they decide to go somewhere else. the supporting regulatory policies would penalize OTHER people if they tried any crap to recruit his guys. but it doesn't directly HELP him, it just hurts them. the author mentions that high road people don't want to cut costs, so that's out right away. and recruiting workers who have been trained by others, again, doesn't REALLY guarantee a solution to the guy's problem. hes getting some other company's workers and potentially losing his own, along with time and money. by forcing them to repay tuition, he has a GUARANTEE that there will be no significant loss in case anything happens.

the verbal section single handedly crushes dreams for medical school.

OOh ok. hmm. I see what you are saying, but still, meh.

I know you are mean, I have the same fear. I had a friend who had a 15/7/14, and couldn't get into med school because of the 7. I'm so scared I'll end up in that boat.

OOh ok. hmm. I see what you are saying, but still, meh.

I know you are mean, I have the same fear. I had a friend who had a 15/7/14, and couldn't get into med school because of the 7. I'm so scared I'll end up in that boat.

that boat isn't THAT bad to sail in. id be totally down with a 36, that's still impressive as hell. 3 years ago when I took it I got a 7 the first time. I knew right after I took it that I bombed the verbal, so I immediately signed up to retake it, and got a 10 the second time. I honestly have no idea how I did it. but right now im sort of trying to go with your friend and KILL the science sections and hope for like a 9 in the verbal... which isn't THAT hard to get... I think all you need is like 27-28 correct out of 40... that's manageable. I have a lot of trouble finishing on time... when I got that 10, I straight up guessed on all the questions in the last passage. I think a lot of it comes down to just getting 4 questions on each passage that you KNOW are probably right... then just saying screw it and throwing down a quick answer on the others and move on. acknowledging the fact that you're not going to get them all right and instead finishing the test on time. but it's tough when you have a passage like the one mentioned and ALL the questions are rough... and unfortunately, every section of every test is gonna have one like that.