The Official July 12, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HinduHammer

Righteous in Wrath
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
2.5 months away, let's get started. Time to study and motivate each other!!

Me so far: Taking Kaplan online. 23 diagnostic (8,12,3). Applying for class entering Fall 2015.

My studying so far has been minimal, though I am halfway through the kaplan online course. I was planning to take June 5 but decided to push it back. After my final exams next week, I will be studying mostly full-time from May 12-July 12. My biggest weakness is bio content and timing - I cannot read the passages fast enough.

What are your stories/plans/goals??

Let's do this!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
that boat isn't THAT bad to sail in. id be totally down with a 36, that's still impressive as hell. 3 years ago when I took it I got a 7 the first time. I knew right after I took it that I bombed the verbal, so I immediately signed up to retake it, and got a 10 the second time. I honestly have no idea how I did it. but right now im sort of trying to go with your friend and KILL the science sections and hope for like a 9 in the verbal... which isn't THAT hard to get... I think all you need is like 27-28 correct out of 40... that's manageable. I have a lot of trouble finishing on time... when I got that 10, I straight up guessed on all the questions in the last passage. I think a lot of it comes down to just getting 4 questions on each passage that you KNOW are probably right... then just saying screw it and throwing down a quick answer on the others and move on. acknowledging the fact that you're not going to get them all right and instead finishing the test on time. but it's tough when you have a passage like the one mentioned and ALL the questions are rough... and unfortunately, every section of every test is gonna have one like that.

Yeah he spent 4 months doing nothing but verbal. I think he did every verbal book on the market, twice. He got up to a 9 I think, but others dropped to 11-12. Got in with a much lower score.

It is with great ambivalence that I announce I have changed my registration to August 2. I have not been scoring where I want. I am already late in the cycle and figure pushing it to August 2 is about as late as I can go this cycle while not totally kill my chances. If I submit next week as planned and verified before September 2, schools get my primary first week of September - not great, but not terrible.

I encourage everyone here who does not feel ready to consider pushing their test back. Early is good, error-free is better. This applies to amcas submission but also to mcat imo. If you are consistently scoring where you want then you're in a good spot, if not, like me, you may want to change. Not sure how much just an extra 2-3 weeks will give me, but its something.

By way of progress update, I took AAMC4 and did not do as well as the above poster, like almost ten points less in fact. Still have to finish content review (I know, I know..), finish the AAMC SA, do all the AAMC tests, and Kaplan tests. Thank you all for your help and encouragement over the past weeks. I will continue to monitor this thread and wish everyone here great luck in a week's time!

Members don't see this ad :)
It is with great ambivalence that I announce I have changed my registration to August 2. I have not been scoring where I want. I am already late in the cycle and figure pushing it to August 2 is about as late as I can go this cycle while not totally kill my chances. If I submit next week as planned and verified before September 2, schools get my primary first week of September - not great, but not terrible.

I encourage everyone here who does not feel ready to consider pushing their test back. Early is good, error-free is better. This applies to amcas submission but also to mcat imo. If you are consistently scoring where you want then you're in a good spot, if not, like me, you may want to change. Not sure how much just an extra 2-3 weeks will give me, but its something.

By way of progress update, I took AAMC4 and did not do as well as the above poster, like almost ten points less in fact. Still have to finish content review (I know, I know..), finish the AAMC SA, do all the AAMC tests, and Kaplan tests. Thank you all for your help and encouragement over the past weeks. I will continue to monitor this thread and wish everyone here great luck in a week's time!

good luck to you. Wish you all the best for the exam and the upcoming cycle. And take my scores with a grain of salt, I did these last summer. Kudos to @SwedishMD2B for the actual, "untainted" AAMC 4 score. Keep up the good work.

On that note, did AAMC 9 41 (13,14,13). I think a big thing for verbal for me is predicting the answers before I look at the choices. I actively did that today and I think I felt better about my answers (and it showed).

On that note, did AAMC 9 41 (13,14,13). I think a big thing for verbal for me is predicting the answers before I look at the choices. I actively did that today and I think I felt better about my answers (and it showed).

You're doing the real AAMC practice tests now, and continuing to do fabulous. Good luck!

I try to do that with all of the verbal questions, but only succeed in less than like half lol

Wow, everyone's scores are amazing. I hope we all do great next Saturday! I personally only have AAMC 11 left, so I'm debating on whether or not I should buy one more GS.

@HinduHammer Sad to see you go, but I agree that it's better to feel ready. Good luck on your August test date!

@aimingforthat45 Great scores! Just a note though - 13 + 14 + 13 = 40, not 41. Still an awesome score!

I wrote Kaplan 8 a few days ago and it absolutely crushed me. I scored a 35, which is lower than my AAMC 3 score pre-content review, and my only sub-forty score post-content review. I'm not sure if it was particularly difficult, or if I was just off that day, but it killed my confidence.

Wrote Kaplan 9 yesterday though, and scored a 43... This week I'm going to write AAMC 10 and 11, and those are the ones that are supposedly good predictors of actual score.

@HinduHammer Sad to see you go, but I agree that it's better to feel ready. Good luck on your August test date!

@aimingforthat45 Great scores! Just a note though - 13 + 14 + 13 = 40, not 41. Still an awesome score!

I wrote Kaplan 8 a few days ago and it absolutely crushed me. I scored a 35, which is lower than my AAMC 3 score pre-content review, and my only sub-forty score post-content review. I'm not sure if it was particularly difficult, or if I was just off that day, but it killed my confidence.

Wrote Kaplan 9 yesterday though, and scored a 43... This week I'm going to write AAMC 10 and 11, and those are the ones that are supposedly good predictors of actual score.

ah, you know what, I completely reversed my scores on that. I did get a 41 (14, 13, 14), just flipped around the science and verbal scores. My bad. Thanks for the pointing that out. Also @beatlemaniac on the Kaplan tests, are you referring to Kaplan's CBTs? I have their FL, their R tests. Are they the same or did they completely write a new one for CBTs? I was thinking the CBTs were just the R tests scaled down to 52 instead of 77 questions.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/kaplan-9-bs-question-19.1083180/
whats everyone doing for this last week? any 'high yield' stuff to focus on?
I'm writing AAMC 10 and 11, and doing the AAMC self-assessments. Other than that, trying not to go crazy with stress!

@aimingforthat45 Ahhh that makes sense. Yeah I have the Kaplan online course, so the CBTs. I'm not sure if they're just shorter or completely new tests...

Also, if anyone wants to check out the thread I just made about an orgo question, it would be much appreciated :) It's in the Kaplan MCAT forum and titled "Kaplan 9 BS Question 19"

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wrote AAMC 10 this morning, and I'm thrilled! I got a perfect score in PS and VR, and two wrong in BS, for a composite score of 44.

Even if I score 5 points below that next Saturday, I'll be pleased.

Just wrote AAMC 10 this morning, and I'm thrilled! I got a perfect score in PS and VR, and two wrong in BS, for a composite score of 44.

I'm setting the over/under on your score next Saturday at 41 and I'm taking the over. No pressure though. Holy mother of God that's a great score. Keep up the good work. I took GS10 with decent results 36 (12,12,12). Idk how comparable these GS tests are to the actual thing, but supposedly they are harder. Who knows.

I'm setting the over/under on your score next Saturday at 41 and I'm taking the over. No pressure though. Holy mother of God that's a great score. Keep up the good work. I took GS10 with decent results 36 (12,12,12). Idk how comparable these GS tests are to the actual thing, but supposedly they are harder. Who knows.

I hope so! You never know though, so I'm trying to keep my expectations low. Thanks for your vote of confidence!

I've heard that GS is harder, yeah, so you might get a couple more points on the MCAT. How are your AAMC scores so far?

How would you all rate the difficulty/predictive value of Kaplan 3? I did significantly better than I have on other practice exams, so I'm wondering if it's known to be a bit inflated.

Sorry if this has been asked before! I just signed up for the July 12 MCAT, so I haven't looked through all the old posts yet.

How would you all rate the difficulty/predictive value of Kaplan 3? I did significantly better than I have on other practice exams, so I'm wondering if it's known to be a bit inflated.

Sorry if this has been asked before! I just signed up for the July 12 MCAT, so I haven't looked through all the old posts yet.
I noticed the curve to be very inflated. I took this test a few days after taking AAMC and scored 8 points higher on Kaplan 3 even though my raw percentage was about the same on the 2 tests. Kaplan 2 and 3 seems to have somewhat inflated scales. That was about 3 weeks ago, and since then my Kaplan and AAMC scores have become more similar, although it seems the Kaplan scores are still a few points higher due to scale. Just be aware of that. The scale is supposedly due to the increased difficulty of the Kaplan tests, however once you get to the later AAMC's I wouldn't say the Kaplan tests are that much tougher.

I score an average of two points higher on all my Kaplan exams, so I'd take the scores with a grain of salt. They are more detailed/tougher exams but the curve is much more lenient than AAMC.

I hope so! You never know though, so I'm trying to keep my expectations low. Thanks for your vote of confidence!

I've heard that GS is harder, yeah, so you might get a couple more points on the MCAT. How are your AAMC scores so far?

I've been averaging 40s on AAMCs so far (n=4). Still have 4 left so we'll see how it goes. Goal is to finish those up and finish SA assessments this week.

I've been averaging 40s on AAMCs so far (n=4). Still have 4 left so we'll see how it goes. Goal is to finish those up and finish SA assessments this week.

how the hey did you guys prepare for the science sections?

Honestly. Do a ton of passages. I mean, maybe @beatlemaniac did it differently, and everyone has their own way of studying and understanding the science concepts, but for me it was just doing a TON of passages (and obviously taking the time to correct them and understanding them). My goal has been to do as many passages and see/experience as many problems before the exam. the more you do, the better of. For the sciences, especially, it's all about the reasoning. Obviously, one must have a strong grasp of the fundamentals. For that, I used my original Biology textbooks and used BR for Gen chem, orgo, and physics.

Yup, I agree with @aimingforthat45 . Lots of passages, lots of practice.

However, I truly think a significant factor for me is that I took the time to really understand the material while taking the courses, so studying has been mainly a review for me, rather than learning new material. But practice definitely helps with learning to apply your knowledge.

Wowee! Looks like we're in the same boat then. Fingers crossed for 40+ this Saturday!

This week I'm doing the self-assessments and AAMC 11 (as well as a bit of Qbank, and reviewing the notebook Ive been keeping all along)

I'm getting suuuuper nervous now! Can't shake the feeling that Saturday won't be at all like the practice exams. :scared:

Me too! I'm comforting myself with the fact that if the exam is a lot harder, it'll be a more lenient curve... But still, worrisome!

Are there any specific GS exams that you guys would recommend buying? Or can they only be bought as a full set?

Okay. Finished AAMC 11 yesterday, which was my last practice test. Here are my overall results going into the test on Saturday:

AAMC 3 (pre-review) = 36
AAMC 4 = 41
AAMC 5 = 39
AAMC 7 = 43
AAMC 8 = 40
AAMC 9 = 41
AAMC 10 = 44
AAMC 11 = 43
AAMC average = 40.9
Kaplan average = 41.4

As long as the test doesn't throw too many curveballs, I'm feeling fairly confident. I can't wait to be done this test and have my life back!

Reactions: 1 user
Okay. Finished AAMC 11 yesterday, which was my last practice test. Here are my overall results going into the test on Saturday:

AAMC 3 (pre-review) = 36
AAMC 4 = 41
AAMC 5 = 39
AAMC 7 = 43
AAMC 8 = 40
AAMC 9 = 41
AAMC 10 = 44
AAMC 11 = 43
AAMC average = 40.9
Kaplan average = 41.4

As long as the test doesn't throw too many curveballs, I'm feeling fairly confident. I can't wait to be done this test and have my life back!
Wow! You're definitely ready for this. Yup, let's hope there are no curveballs on Saturday. I'm hoping that it will go relatively smooth and then we can actually have a summer.
Are there any specific GS exams that you guys would recommend buying? Or can they only be bought as a full set?
It depends on when you're taking the MCAT. If you are testing soon, then maybe get the more difficult GS exams. You get the first one free if you want to test it out. If you have a while until the exam, then doing all or most of them would be better.

Wow, look at all those 40+ scores!! Hopefully we all score 40+ on the real thing this Saturday! :) Good Luck everyone, it's the home stretch... A few more days and we can enjoy our lives again

Reactions: 1 users
We've got this! I hear they're giving us the easiest exam with the best curve, so no worries friends! ;) But seriously, best of luck to you all..

To represent the not 40 crowd, here's me! ;) I know there must be some other not 40's out there somewhere...

So I retook the AAMC's- and in case you're wondering, no, I really didn't remember them from a year ago so the content was all new again to me. Some of the Verbal passages sounded a little familiar but that was about it.

Jun 13 AAMC 8 (PS 10, VR 10, BS 11) 31
(Break in studies- thanks Army!)
Jun 30 AAMC 4 (11, 8, 11) 30
Jun 29 AAMC 5 (10, 10, 11) 31
Jul 4 AAMC 9 (11, 9, 12) 32
Jul 7 AAMC 10 (10, 10, 12) 32
Jul 9 AAMC 11 (11, 11, 12) 34

I'd be more than happy to replicate last year's trend and get the same score as my AAMC 11. 34 is fine by me!
Anywho, just a few more days guys! I just need to do some electrochemistry review and I think I'll be set!

ugh i wrote aamc 11 yesterday and got a 34 (12/12/10). i am freaking out, should i consider voiding on saturday and rescheduling since the real exam is so much worse than the aamcs? it feels like all the mistakes i made were stupid ones that could be rectified after a few weeks of studying. one thing to consider - i will only have aamc 10 and the kaplan full lengths to practice with if i extend.

i really want at least a 36 on the mcat since i'm interested in md/phd.

ugh i wrote aamc 11 yesterday and got a 34 (12/12/10). i am freaking out, should i consider voiding on saturday and rescheduling since the real exam is so much worse than the aamcs? it feels like all the mistakes i made were stupid ones that could be rectified after a few weeks of studying. one thing to consider - i will only have aamc 10 and the kaplan full lengths to practice with if i extend.

i really want at least a 36 on the mcat since i'm interested in md/phd.

I don't think you should void. You might be more focused on the real thing. And if you get a 34 it's still a good score. If you really aren't happy with it then you could retake it.

To represent the not 40 crowd, here's me! ;) I know there must be some other not 40's out there somewhere...

So I retook the AAMC's- and in case you're wondering, no, I really didn't remember them from a year ago so the content was all new again to me. Some of the Verbal passages sounded a little familiar but that was about it.

Jun 13 AAMC 8 (PS 10, VR 10, BS 11) 31
(Break in studies- thanks Army!)
Jun 30 AAMC 4 (11, 8, 11) 30
Jun 29 AAMC 5 (10, 10, 11) 31
Jul 4 AAMC 9 (11, 9, 12) 32
Jul 7 AAMC 10 (10, 10, 12) 32
Jul 9 AAMC 11 (11, 11, 12) 34

I'd be more than happy to replicate last year's trend and get the same score as my AAMC 11. 34 is fine by me!
Anywho, just a few more days guys! I just need to do some electrochemistry review and I think I'll be set!

I am not in the 40+ club either, mainly because of verbal, I put so much damn effort into verbal and never got any results. All my scores are 34-35, except AAMC5 where I got a 38 and AAMC4 where I got a 43. I have no idea how I pulled a 14 on the verbal on that exam. I think the passages were really straightforward. I get 12-14's on the sciences and 9-10 on verbal. If I could get my verbal up to at least 11 I would be ecstatic.

But, from what I have been told by admissions people most schools don't really care about what your score is once you get above like 36. So 37+ is all the same to them, because once you are at that high of a score a difference between a 37 and 43 might only be like 5% more correct questions.

Nice work Ginred!
I can rep the under 40 crowd as well ha!
6/16: #3 (9/9/9) 27
6/21: #4 (9/11/10) 30
6/25: #5 (9/9/10) 28
6/28: #7 (8/9/10) 27
7/1: #8 (8/11/11) 30
7/3: #9 (10/10/10) 30
7/8: #10(10/11/11) 32
Taking #11 today!
Obviously it'd be a stretch to hope for a mid 30's score (can't hurt to shoot for the starts though right?) but 30+ would be a relief since I really struggle with TIME the most, rather than actual understanding of the material. Good luck everyone! 1 mo. from now I hope we all feel a glorious sense of relief!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Completed AAMC 11 today. Here are my stats:

PS-VR-BS

AAMC 3R 12 11 9 32
AAMC 4R 10 7 9 26
AAMC 5R 12 9 11 32
AAMC 6R 11 9 12 32
AAMC 7CBT 10 11 12 33
AAMC 8CBT 12 8 9 29
AAMC 9CBT 12 9 13 34
AAMC 10CBT 12 9 13 34
AAMC 11CBT 12 9 10 31

Past MCAT exams (last year): 29 (8-10-11) & 29 (11-8-10)
Average AAMC 7-11: 32.2 (11.6-9.2-11.4)
Prediction: 32 (12-9-11)
Dream score: 36 (13-10-13)

Good luck to everyone on Saturday!

you're a third timer? Same here. Good luck!

So I feel like I'm actually forgetting stuff now (I'm just reviewing today). How are you both staying so calm?! I'm a first timer lol.

Well guys, it all comes down to this! I feel like there isn't a whole lot left to do, and for some reason, I am feeling pretty unmotivated. I've been flipping through note cards, and I took AAMC 11 at 8 this morning (P13 V9 B13)... Hopefully the verbal improves, but I can't do much between now and Saturday. I wish everyone the best of luck, and I will definitely post my thoughts and predictions after the test.

What are everyone's plans for tomorrow? I'm hardly going to study at all...just trying to keep calm.

I've been feeling suuuuper unmotivated the past few days. After I wrote AAMC 11 and didn't have any more practice tests, I couldn't bring myself to study more than 3-4 ish hours a day (and not very focused at that!). The way I see it though, nothing much is going to change in my knowledge between now and Saturday.

Well guys, it all comes down to this! I feel like there isn't a whole lot left to do, and for some reason, I am feeling pretty unmotivated. I've been flipping through note cards, and I took AAMC 11 at 8 this morning (P13 V9 B13)... Hopefully the verbal improves, but I can't do much between now and Saturday. I wish everyone the best of luck, and I will definitely post my thoughts and predictions after the test.

I see you've been taking GS tests. How did you do on them? How do you feel they stack up compared to AAMC? I've taken them too.

What are everyone's plans for tomorrow? I'm hardly going to study at all...just trying to keep calm.

I've been feeling suuuuper unmotivated the past few days. After I wrote AAMC 11 and didn't have any more practice tests, I couldn't bring myself to study more than 3-4 ish hours a day (and not very focused at that!). The way I see it though, nothing much is going to change in my knowledge between now and Saturday.

It's easy to be unmotivated after you average 43.5 on the last two AAMC tests:))))) Literally just wrap yourself in a bubble until Saturday morning, and you will be on your way to a 40 plus come game day.

Last edited:
Plan for tomorrow- do more passages. Stop at 6 pm. Review. Go to bed early. AAMC test tomorrow. Also, here are my practice test scores

GS Exams:

GS1- 33
GS2-34
GS3-37
GS4-33
GS5-31
GS6-35
GS7-33
GS8-35
GS10-36
GS Average: 34.1*
*Probably more accurate of my level, because I hadn't seen these until this time around.

AAMC Exams:
AAMC 3- 39 (13,13,13)
AAMC 4- 41 (13,13,15)
AAAMC 5- 41 (14,13, 14)
AAMC 8- 40 (15, 11, 14)
AAMC 9- 41 (14,13,14)
AAMC 10 40 (14,12,14)
AAMC 11 39 (13,11,15)
AAMC Average: 40.1*
*Note: I'm a retaker (3rd time), so these may be/probably inflated. Took these last summer as well.

I see you've been taking GS tests. How did you do on them? How do you feel they stack up compared to AAMC? I've taken them too.

Yeah, I did them up until GS9. When I took that PS section I decided to use the last 2 for practice problems because the time constraints were too tight due to the amount of Difficult/Intense problems on them (posted a bit on this in the GS subsection of this forum). I definitely feel like they were a good preparation and helped me get quicker with the mental math and coming up with the formulas. I did AAMC 3-5 before I really took things seriously enough, and that's when I decided to switch to doing only GS tests before doing AAMC 7-11. I copy and pasted this from my excel file so I am not sure if it will format correctly:

Physical Sciences Verbal Biological Sciences MCAT Score
Gold Standard #1 11 10 11 32
Gold Standard #2 11 11 11 33
Gold Standard #3 12 11 14 37
Gold Standard #4 12 11 11 34
Gold Standard #5 12 8 12 32
Gold Standard #6 12 10 12 34
Gold Standard #7 11 11 12 34
Gold Standard #8 11 9 12 32
Gold Standard Average 11.5 10.125 11.875 33.5
AAMC #3 10 10 13 33
AAMC #4 10 10 11 31
AAMC #5 10 11 12 33
AAMC #7 13 7 14 34
AAMC #8 13 13 15 41
AAMC #9 14 9 13 36
AAMC #10 14 9 13 36
AAMC #11 13 9 13 35
Pre GS AAMC Average 10.0 10.3 12.0 32.3
Post GS AAMC Average 13.4 9.4 13.6 36.4

Kaplan Diagnostic 11 12 11 34

Plan for tomorrow- do more passages. Stop at 6 pm. Review. Go to bed early. AAMC test tomorrow. Also, here are my practice test scores

GS Exams:

GS1- 33
GS2-34
GS3-37
GS4-33
GS5-31
GS6-35
GS7-33
GS8-35
GS10-36
GS Average: 34.1*
*Probably more accurate of my level, because I hadn't seen these until this time around.

AAMC Exams:
AAMC 3- 39 (13,13,13)
AAMC 4- 41 (13,13,15)
AAAMC 5- 41 (14,13, 14)
AAMC 8- 40 (15, 11, 14)
AAMC 9- 41 (14,13,14)
AAMC 10 40 (14,12,14)
AAMC 11 39 (13,11,15)
AAMC Average: 40.1*
*Note: I'm a retaker (3rd time), so these may be/probably inflated. Took these last summer as well.

Dude, those are awesome scores! I am extremely jealous about the verbal reasoning, and they are probably not inflated at all from your previous experience with the test. As you can see, I have a wildly fluctuating verbal (7-13) which has been on a downward trend (ugh), but I am confident that I will be more focused this Saturday. We have eerily similar GS scores! haha

I don't think you should void. You might be more focused on the real thing. And if you get a 34 it's still a good score. If you really aren't happy with it then you could retake it.

hmmm but i feel like a 36 first try would be much more impressive than a 34 and then a 38 for instance. i just have such a wide range for my aamcs from 34 to 39 and i don't know where i'll fall. theres also lotsa little things that i just dont know which i could learn in a few weeks? AAAH I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DOOOO