**The Official July 2015 MCAT Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medaholic Dr

Houston, we've a problem !
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Forum,
This is the official thread I've created for all the July test takers. I know its kinda early to start preparing for the July MCAT, but I know some who may have already begun the marathon since the new MCAT requires more than 3 months of study prep. Let's fill the thread with rich MCAT related discussions and be helpful to one another. The white coat down the lane is awaiting us ! Let's go....

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes I have been studying for the MCAT since February. Looking into taking my test in July or early August. Either way I'm excited to take it and breathe again. Good luck to everyone studying. Let's motivate each other, because it can be a pretty rough road at times.

Members don't see this ad :)
What resources are you all studying from?

I'm using the Princeton review for my biology, chemistry and organic. I find the biology part pretty detailed and useful. I've tried other resources such as Kaplan and other MCAT study guides, but it just didn't help me much. Online Khan academy videos are good for review. Also I use www.mcat-review.org which has a study guide for each subject. You just have to find which resource works for you. Relating and conceptualizing information helps me better retain the information.

I'm using the Princeton review for my biology, chemistry and organic. I find the biology part pretty detailed and useful. I've tried other resources such as Kaplan and other MCAT study guides, but it just didn't help me much. Online Khan academy videos are good for review. Also I use www.mcat-review.org which has a study guide for each subject. You just have to find which resource works for you. Relating and conceptualizing information helps me better retain the information.
Did you get the new 2015 books or are you using the old versions?

Did you get the new 2015 books or are you using the old versions?
I have the version from last year, but when I reviewed the current version there wasn't much of a difference. Since sociology and psychology are now included on the new exam, I'm reviewing subjects from that as well.

Im in the same shoes, dont you guys think taking mcat in July will be late to apply to DO schools?

It's not late for DO. I know it's just personal experience, but I know individuals who applied much later with average stats and have gotten into DO schools. They were well rounded though, had a good interview, etc. Their numbers weren't anything special though and they applied very late. You should be fine for DO.

I don't know about MD, and that's why I'd like more opinions/advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just rescheduled my June to July. Hoping this doesn't set me back too late. I'll be reapplying this cycle (currently on two waitlists) so planning on submitting application early and updating with my new scores--good strategy? (My first MCAT was 26; aiming mostly for DOs unless I do much better on second score).

Just rescheduled my June to July. Hoping this doesn't set me back too late. I'll be reapplying this cycle (currently on two waitlists) so planning on submitting application early and updating with my new scores--good strategy? (My first MCAT was 26; aiming mostly for DOs unless I do much better on second score).

How are you studying differently this time? How far are you with your material?

Seems like there's not very many July takers :(

For me, I finished content review a couple weeks ago and have been doing passages. About to start weekly FLs soon.

What did you use for the new sections aka Biochem, Psych/Soc?

I just took 2 quarters of biochem, so I just used EK as quick refresher. For psych, TPR and EK. But I'll probably go over khan videos to find gaps in knowledge that those two didn't cover.

Do yall think that taking it in July will set us back in submitting our applications to medical schools?

Took my first Kaplan FL today. Got a 497.
7.5 hours is a very long time for a test and significantly drained my mental ability, especially at the end. Definitely going to be working on that mental stamina.
Still have some conceptual holes that need to be filled.

July 17th here. My last final is Tuesday morning, I'll probably hit the MCAT books on Wednesday or Thursday, I need a break! How far along is everyone in their studies?

July 17th here. My last final is Tuesday morning, I'll probably hit the MCAT books on Wednesday or Thursday, I need a break! How far along is everyone in their studies?
I started yesterday at noon. Planning on studying 12 hrs a day till July 18th. I think this is more than enough to get a good score.

In.

I've been going through Khan Academy vids in order. I'm only 18% through biomolecules right now lol. Anyway, I supplement content review w/ TBR. Another helpful video source I found is the channel "moof university". He does intro biochem stuff, and is a little more clear about certain topics (replication, transcription, translation).

I work 7 days on, 7 days off. So on my days on I just try to get whatever time in I can, usually 2-3 hours. On my days off I can generally get in around 8 solid hours. I don't know how some of you dudes pull 12 hour days this far out.

I started yesterday at noon. Planning on studying 12 hrs a day till July 18th. I think this is more than enough to get a good score.

Please don't do this, I tried this for the old MCAT and burned out within 2 months.

Hey I rescheduled mine to July 17th too. Been feeling so dread to study for this test. How far is everyone on the content review?

I am a retaker, I just finished finals and graduated I am planning to take it July 18th. Planning to start on Monday May 18th. Anyone following a specific plan? I have the Kaplan 2015 set as pdfs, I took a PR course for the old one but did not help me that much so I am planning on buying access to PR online content or Kaplan, there is also gold standards? any advice? And as always best of luck to everyone

My CARs is all over the place every night. Some nights, I score 80%+ overall on the 2-3 passages I do. Last night I scored about 40% on 3 passages. Did poorly on the first, did well on the second, and mediocre on the 3rd, I kind of second guessed myself out of getting 4/5 instead of 2/5 on the 3rd which really bothered me because I was stuck between 2 answer choices that sounded good. Similar thing happened with my first passage, I should have gotten 2 more right at least. The passage I got destroyed by, I literally chose the 2nd best answer every time... Although I have also been doing CARs after 6 hours of exhaustive study very late at night (into the morning too). I do personally feel this past Saturday and yesterday scores were due to exhaustion. Two nights ago, I felt fresh and got 5/6 and 4/5 on two passages, one was considered a later by TPR and the other one felt like a now. I did 5 passages on Saturday, plan was to only do 3 but I got rocked by the first passage so I worked through 4 more and got decent scores. They were all ranked later/killer by TPR. I scored 60% right which I was OK with.

I really hope I can figure out a way to eliminate all the 2nd best answers. I do that way too often for inference questions.:unsure:

Even for the old MCAT, I was very sporadic with my verbal. Some EK and AAMC tests, I would get 10+ and some would be between 6-8. My inconsistency with CARs is what's really bothering me.

Haven't had much time to review psych/sociology despite it being the best section on my two practice tests.
Scoring in the mid 490s on TPR FLs which I have been told are fine. People in April were scoring sub 499-500 and got 81-91%. I thought the Chem/Phys section was brutal in FL 2.

That's pretty frustrating. Have you tried doing it first thing in the morning? Brain will be a lot clearer and you wouldn't be facing constant exhaustion. Either way, seems like something needs to be switched up.

Hey guyss! I took my first Kaplan FL and got a 486...very disappointed by this score. I haven't gone through all of the material yet and have a little bit more to go for each section. I hope I can get it by July 17th...

That's pretty frustrating. Have you tried doing it first thing in the morning? Brain will be a lot clearer and you wouldn't be facing constant exhaustion. Either way, seems like something needs to be switched up.

Agreed, the exhaustion was a huge factor last night and I felt it.

I feel like I have gotten better at reading experimental bio passages with the practice passages I have done with TPR. Felt I did slightly better on the 2nd FL on that even though my score was slightly lower.

Had a very heavy bio/physics review last night, I feel my bio has gotten better from the old MCAT by a good amount. My former weak topics are now becoming my strengths.

Hey I rescheduled mine to July 17th too. Been feeling so dread to study for this test. How far is everyone on the content review?

A little over a month in and I have covered may 50% of the content review. Been doing a ton of questions (about ~2500 by now).

Hey guyss! I took my first Kaplan FL and got a 486...very disappointed by this score. I haven't gone through all of the material yet and have a little bit more to go for each section. I hope I can get it by July 17th...

Not covering all the material affects your score a lot, so don't worry about it.
Psych score went from 123 to 127 after doing some quality psych focus.

hey, are anyone of you guys applying MD this cycle? I am trying to figure out if I should switch from June to July but worried it will be too late for this cycle. My scores are fluctuating too much so I kinda want to push it

I'm applying MD this cycle! I'm plan on having everything done before I take the MCAT and to just submit it when the scores come. Do you have to have your MCAT score to submit the aamcas application?

Scored about 20% better today. Man... I need to pick up the pace on these passages. I spend about 11 mins on 6 question passages. 12 mins at most on 7 question passages. Most 5 question passages are within the 6 question passage range. Looking over all three passages I did (one 6 question passage and 2 7 question passages), I should have gotten 70%-80% right instead of 60%.

I did not feel exhausted today when I did this even though it was late at night. Two passages were on the harder end.

I used to plan to do only 2 passages a night. I think I'm going to keep it at 3-5 passages a night. Seems to help me recognize my weaknesses.

What are you guys using as practice after content? What full lengths do you guys plan on taking/have taken? The only material that I know for sure must be done is the official FL and the other practice questions for purchase from the AAMC. Would those old Mcat tests (which I have) be useful?

The only practice I've used so far has been TBR.

Based on the feedback from the April testers, I plan on sitting only 4 practice FLs - 3 from Examkrackers and the 1 official AAMC FL. From what I've read the AAMC practice is most representative of the real thing, but EK is harder (as in, those who did well on EK FLs did well on the real thing). I might revise depending on the May administration feedback.

I just started doing 3-5 random practice passages/day to help increase my speed and "test literacy".
Materials:
2013 Kaplan set - a few passages at the end of the book
EK older content review set - passages at the end of each chapter
AAMC question bundle for 2015
Khan Academy section discretes for content practice
Khan Academy practice passages (most of the April testers said KA passages were helpful)
EK 101 VR passages
Old AAMCs (3-9), which I'll somehow work into the rotation.
TBR Bio section practices

It's all pretty fluid --- this plan is not set in stone!! I've gotten to a point where I have way more materials than time!! :help:

May administration feedback.

I think it'll be very interesting to see what they say, especially in comparison to April's thoughts.

My materials:
2 TPR FL
2 Kaplan FL
1 NS FL
2 EK FL
NS Strategy Books and making it into 3 FLs
TBR Bio II (Need that extra Biochem practice)
KA Passages
EK 30 minute exams
EK 101 Verbal and TPRH Verbal workbook for daily CARS

I've done 1 TPR, 1 Kaplan, and most of the EK 30s so far.

If you haven't taken a FL yet, I would recommend doing so. For the old MCAT, the general advice is to start practice tests a month before your real MCAT with the AAMC tests. I personally feel practice tests should be spread out during prep and the most representative ones should be saved for last.

how do you guys get access to kaplan FLs? i tried but they only offer it through the kaplan course which i have not take.

Based on the feedback from the April testers, I plan on sitting only 4 practice FLs - 3 from Examkrackers and the 1 official AAMC FL. From what I've read the AAMC practice is most representative of the real thing, but EK is harder (as in, those who did well on EK FLs did well on the real thing). I might revise depending on the May administration feedback.

I just started doing 3-5 random practice passages/day to help increase my speed and "test literacy".
Materials:
2013 Kaplan set - a few passages at the end of the book
EK older content review set - passages at the end of each chapter
AAMC question bundle for 2015
Khan Academy section discretes for content practice
Khan Academy practice passages (most of the April testers said KA passages were helpful)
EK 101 VR passage
Old AAMCs (3-9), which I'll somehow work into the rotation.
TBR Bio section practices

It's all pretty fluid --- this plan is not set in stone!! I've gotten to a point where I have way more materials than time!! :help:

I had planned to use all of 8 TPR exams. Will have 5 done by mid June. Thinking of giving an EK test a shot too since they are considered the most representative atm.

Lack of emphasis of biochem in TPR course really bothers me. They have us focused heavily on the rest of bio. Everything else is amazing including psych/soc considered the limited knowledge circulating around about the new MCAT.

The transition to the new MCAT was quickly done by TPR and they admit it. I have found a solid share of typos. Doesn't also help to know a measly 500 with 62-63% right overall on a TPR exam is what people got who received percentiles in the 80s-100s on April's MCAT.

Then I know two individuals who averaged between 495-500 on Kaplan, one studied for many months one studied for less than a month and the one who studied less did better by a good amount. It really doesn't make sense how to judge where you stand. At least on the old MCAT test it was usually +/- 2 or 3 points of your AAMC average if all were done under test conditions.

Last edited: