The Official May 22, 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fenderboi930

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think many of you will agree that today is a great day to officially prepare for the May 22nd MCAT!!!

I was against the April 2015 MCAT because a typical 3 month schedule doesn't seem to work for
students and/or working test takers. With a little over 4 months of preparation we can go in with confidence!
It's all new and really scary--so let's kick MCAT butt together!!

I was also wondering, wouldn't many professional MCAT test takers and tutors want to take the MCAT 2015 as soon
as possible (April MCAT) so they can better they're material or teaching? Wouldn't that just destroy the curve?

Members don't see this ad.

Can confirm, my biochem professor said it was 30-32 as well lol... Maybe that's just for oxidative respiration only? So 2 ATP from glycolysis + 2(x2) ATP from Krebs would mean 36-38?

38 ATP is the maximum possible produced from 1 glucose, but this number does not reflect biological reality. Quote from the most reliable of sources (Wikipedia):

"Biology textbooks often state that 38 ATP molecules can be made per oxidised glucose molecule during cellular respiration (2 from glycolysis, 2 from the Krebs cycle, and about 34 from the electron transport system).[2] However, this maximum yield is never quite reached due to losses (leaky membranes) as well as the cost of moving pyruvate and ADP into the mitochondrial matrix, and current estimates range around 29 to 30 ATP per glucose.[2]"

I just checked my testing center out, it's really big. Got in my hotel, trying to figure out where I'm getting pizza from. I'm super excited, I want this over with!

Reactions: 1 user
So it looks like this is really going to happen tomorrow. I was sort of hoping for a meteor or the plague or something. Does anyone have any ideas/guesses for when we'll see our percentiles?

I think the preliminary percentiles will be out in 3 weeks, so June 12th. Then we get our official scores on June 30th.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just checked my testing center out, it's really big. Got in my hotel, trying to figure out where I'm getting pizza from. I'm super excited, I want this over with!
What do you consider really big? Mine was about the size of a small bedroom for the actual testing area. Not what I was expecting at all.

When they called me they said there were "at least 30 more people besides you taking the same test tomorrow". They called asking if I could arrive around 7am.

Could someone help flesh out the different ATP and NADH yields from the various cycles? I was reviewing Kaplan and they had the numbers the correlate to 30-32 ATP:bored:

I hope my testing center is small. It's a Sylvan Learning Center so I feel like it might be. And they called me and told me they have a fridge that I can keep my lunch in :D

Could someone help flesh out the different ATP and NADH yields from the various cycles? I was reviewing Kaplan and they had the numbers the correlate to 30-32 ATP:bored:
Nevermind, it looks like the difference in ATP produced is because of the discrepancies of how many ATP come from every NADH or FADH2

According to Khan Academy, 38 is the maximum possible, but in reality it's more like 30-32. 2 from glycolysis, 2 from TCA, 34 from oxidative phosphorylation.

That is literally all I know about metabolism.

Glycolysis
2 atp (4 total, need to to complete stage)
2 nadh (making 4 atp in etc for euk. & 6 atp for prok.)

Fermentation
0 atp; main purpose to reoxidize nadh produced in glycolysis

Pyruvate decarboxylation
0 atp
2 nadh produced (making 6 atp in etc)

Krebs
2 atp
6 nadh (18 atp in etc)
2 fadh2 (4 atp in etc)

36 net atp prok.
38 net atp euk.
-nadh produced in pyruvate decarboxylation has to be transported across mitochondrial memebrane, this causes loss of 2 atp

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Well good thing for the dry run, I got lost going to mine. They said I could get there at 6:45 as well, so probably going to be a lot of people there. Good luck to everyone, let's kill this.

Ok I took the AAMC FL today and got
PS: 81%
CR: 85%
Bio: 78% ....don't know what happened here, I usually do best in this section by far
Psych: 81%

Looks like a lot of the things I missed were stupid mistakes and definitions...should I cram or just void? :nailbiting:

How did you study!? Because I ran into one question for P/S and was like WTF WHERE DID THIS TOPIC COME FROM!?

Depending on how I feel, I might void. baaaaah. Do you think there'll be june dates opened? I'm doing well on Bio/biochem but the p/s is where I am failing, so I think a month will be enough practice.

Last edited:
I don't think its hit me yet that this is happening tomorrow. Can we actually have like a hurricane or something

Reactions: 1 users
Question about my AAMC FL please!

47%
89%
73%
75%

I know my PS sucks, but I had just learned some bad news and was trying to read through my tears lol, so hopefully it won't be that bad tomorrow.

Thoughts??

Also I just wanted to say, I've been mostly observing this board and haven't posted anything, but you guys are awesome.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Hope you're in a better mood now. When you went over it, were the mistakes foolish or did you feel you didn't know the content? If it's the former then just go over it and you will ace the test tomorrow. Good luck!

38 ATP is the maximum possible produced from 1 glucose, but this number does not reflect biological reality. Quote from the most reliable of sources (Wikipedia):

"Biology textbooks often state that 38 ATP molecules can be made per oxidised glucose molecule during cellular respiration (2 from glycolysis, 2 from the Krebs cycle, and about 34 from the electron transport system).[2] However, this maximum yield is never quite reached due to losses (leaky membranes) as well as the cost of moving pyruvate and ADP into the mitochondrial matrix, and current estimates range around 29 to 30 ATP per glucose.[2]"
Totally right, but there are a LOT of things that skew that number. Another thing is that NADH and FADH2 produced in respiration may also be used in other metabolic pathways, depending on the state of the cell. This causes the discrepancy about whether its 3 ATP per NADH or 2.5 or some other number. An NADH that reacts with complex I WILL theoretically generate enough of a proton gradient via the ETC for 3.3 ATP (10 protons, 3 protons per ATP=3.3 ATP) but theres no way to track exactly how many electron carriers are reacting with the ETC.

The most obvious example, glycolysis (which produces 2 NADH per glucose) and gluconeogenesis (which uses 2 NADH per glucose) are countering pathways that are reciprocally regulated. In reality, both pathways are occurring in all cells at the same time, but typically one of the cycles is dominant and running at a much higher rate compared to the other, in order to prevent waste of energy that results if they are both running at comparable rates (futile cycle). We actually do utilize it to some degree to maintain body heat.

Bottom line is there are endless side reactions in biochemistry that make it hard to put a finger on this number, and some of us here are guilty of spending too much time worrying about it than we should lol. 38 it is, because thats the theoretical yield shall we say :)

Source: Fresh out of a biochemistry class where the professor emphasized big picture stuff like this, so I couldn't resist lol

been following this thread for a while. slay the crap out of this bitch, guys. just don't doubt yourself.

Reactions: 6 users
That's why I mentioned it at the beginning. There is no real answer! It ranges from 30-38. Just know you create 2 NADH and 2 ATP during glycolysis, 2 NADH during PDH cycle, 6 NADH and 2 FADH2 and 2 ATP during TCA cycle

Getting ready to head to the town Im testing in. Just figured I would leave you all with a good daily affirmation before test day. Good luck!

I packed a veggie sandwich, two bananas, an apple, popcorn, protein bar, and water. Worst fear is getting hungry during a section, I eat a lot :unsure:.

Hope you're in a better mood now. When you went over it, were the mistakes foolish or did you feel you didn't know the content? If it's the former then just go over it and you will ace the test tomorrow. Good luck!
Thank you :) Foolish mistakes, definitely. I've also been doing TPR exams which were more problem-solving centered rather than concept-centered, so I took the test from that approach. Good to know the AAMC one is more geared towards concepts and formulas :)

Seriously though, I don't WANT to think of about voiding, BUT if I do, what are the chances of me finding a spot close by in june?

Thank you :) Foolish mistakes, definitely. I've also been doing TPR exams which were more problem-solving centered rather than concept-centered, so I took the test from that approach. Good to know the AAMC one is more geared towards concepts and formulas :)

Based on the old AAMC FLs old and new, it's all "concept" based. Unless they're the discretes, which are content specific. None of the tests are preparing us correctly it feels. Kaplan is very content heavy but doesn't get you to think like MCAT and EK doesn't have enough content. BUT GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!! WE can do it...i hope

CAN IT BE TOMORROW ALREADY! I'm like trying to study but haven't actually done anything. But I cant stop staring at my notes. -_-

Just wanted to stop by to wish everyone luck! I'm not taking until June 20th, but I've been following your thread, since a lot of you started studying around the same time as me. Hope you guys all kill it!

Reactions: 5 users
Currently in the every 10 minutes switch from "extremely confident" to "what the fuk I'm so not ready for this" mood back and forth.

Reactions: 12 users
Ah. Just took a nice hour nap.

Going to sleep at 10:30. Stayed up all night deliberately because what is a sleep schedule even.

Mine's at a community college. The room literally just got changed today. I'm not getting there before 7:30, that's nonsense.

"hey could you come at 6:45? You'll only be here until 3 pm :D". Suddenly the MCAT is over 8 hours. Nope.

Last edited:
Practice questions + all content listed in one place. That was all I used it for

If there's some secrets in there, well, it's too late now.

Just curious what's in that guide that's actually important besides the practice questions. And you're right, nothing left but to pray to the gods, old and new.

Stuff about registering for the exam, about the format, about medical school applications. A lot of filler.

I don't think the actual content guide started until...chapter 7?

Regardless, it was like $30 so I'm not complaining. Highlighted everywhere, utterly destroyed it.

Stuff about registering for the exam, about the format, about medical school applications. A lot of filler.

I don't think the actual content guide started until...chapter 7?

Regardless, it was like $30 so I'm not complaining. Highlighted everywhere, utterly destroyed it.

Thanks, I am sitting here regretting ONLY getting the 120 questions from the guide, but now feel relieved that I prepared as much as I could. GOOD LUCK!!!!

This is definitely torture all the valuable information is seeping out of ears from the anxiety of being a first time test taker and reading through everyone's comments!

...If I pee myself from fear during the exam, will they let me continue taking the exam in boxer shorts? It's the only other pants I brought. This is a serious question...

I'm totally terrified right now. I'm trying to watch Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban to comfort myself. I also have the NHL app open on my phone and I'm watching the live updates for the Blackhawks game. I know I shouldn't be doing that because it's making me even more stressed but I can't stop myself x.x

Reactions: 3 users
Alright. Well. Here we go everyone. Let's go do this. It is what it is at this point, go out and do your best. We have got this!

Reactions: 5 users
"Note: Each of the four scored multiple-choice sections includes some experimental items that do not count toward your score."

From the overview of the MCAT. Is this because it's a new test?

"Note: Each of the four scored multiple-choice sections includes some experimental items that do not count toward your score."

Wait what? So will there be like more than 59 questions? Or will some of the 59 just not count towards our score?

Oh? There's a passage that's hard?

That's the experimental one then, surely!

:hilarious: