*The Official MCAT January 2018 Thread*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mariposas905

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! Now that the new test dates are out, I figured I'd start a thread for all the January 2018 test-takers prepping for (and most definitely, slaying) this beast! ;) This is a retake for me, but I'm aiming high! Who else is taking it in January?

I'm sure that sharing insights and support on SDN will make this journey all the more worth it. I have a feeling 2018 is off to a great start! Good luck everyone and may the odds be ever in our favor.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
DS sitting on FL3 psych/soc 129, FL2 126 (yesterday).

Have not gone through Khan p/s notes yet. Want to burn through that last week.

How much time realistically does it take to burn through those 90 pages notes?
How much time does it take to burn through UWorld MCAT psy/soci section? (a few guys swear by it)

If you have to choose one for last days, which one of the two paths?
The Khan P/S notes are pretty good. I'm at about page 200 of the longer one but I've also heard good things about the 90 page one.
How was FL #3?

Just got a 513 on AAMC Sample: 128/129/128/128. Might move my goal up from 510 to 515

Idk though because the Sample is supposedly easier, but then again I did average out the score predictors, didn't just take the highest one. My percentages on the sample were 73%/89%/76%/81%

Reactions: 1 user
Just got a 513 on AAMC Sample: 128/129/128/128. Might move my goal up from 510 to 515

Idk though because the Sample is supposedly easier, but then again I did average out the score predictors, didn't just take the highest one. My percentages on the sample were 73%/89%/76%/81%
I thought the sample doesn't have scoring? How did you predict your score?

Members don't see this ad :)
How are you guys gonna study the week before your exam?
I'm trying to get a feel for what I should do.

I basically have an extra week to study and I'm not sure how to use it. If I take my remaining FLs starting tomorrow and then next week, I have a week before my exam without any FLs left, or should I review more topics and push the FLs back a week?

I basically have an extra week to study and I'm not sure how to use it. If I take my remaining FLs starting tomorrow and then next week, I have a week before my exam without any FLs left, or should I review more topics and push the FLs back a week?
I would definitely push the FLs back a week. Maybe do the SB's with the Kaplan Quicksheets?

Reactions: 1 users
Update: Took AAMC FL 3 yesterday and scored 513 (129/127/128/129). Overall happy with the results. Especially given the fact that my diagnostic in May was 489. Really thought my ceiling score was around 508 but I'm really happy with the progress that I've made the past couple of months jumping from 505 on AAMC Sample to 510 and 513 on AAMC FL 1 & 3 respectively. In regards to the test, the passages (especially for C/P) were short to me which I'm not complaining about but just thought it was interesting. I'm not sure if AAMC FL 3 is a representation of changes to be made to this year's tests but if so, I'm glad I got some exposure to it. Really happy with my improvement on P/S especially because it was all I focused on this past week since AAMC FL 1 where I scored 126. I plan to review the test today and formulate my schedule for this week. However, I'm in this mindset right now of coasting into test day because I don't feel like there is much else I can do other than continue to practice CARS and review notecards. But if anyone has any insight, it'd be much appreciated. Best of luck y'all!

When is your test date? If it's the 19th or 20th, I would recommend taking a FL this weekend, review, and formulate what you need to do based on that. If it's content review, then quickly brush up on it and practice only with SB passages. Even if you've done all of them. Then take your last FL next weekend, rinse and repeat. Make sure you have your strategy down and make adjustments if you need to (while practicing on SB passages) I've found that these passages are really close to the FL tests in regards to how they read, what they're asking etc. I've done all SB 2x now and found myself yesterday on AAMC FL 3 predicting what would come next in the passage just because the 'ebb and flow' of the passage was very similar to what I had seen on the SB passages.

Thank you both for the advice!
@georgia_boy1 my exam is the week after, the 25th. I've done the SB about a monthish ago, and I'm planning on doing both the SB this week and redoing the some of the old qpack to find weak spots in C/P.
Not sure what I should do to work on P/S, I'm planning on doing KA passages at this point, but there are still a couple of terms that still surprise me during FLs that I don't recall learning via kapaln.

@georgia_boy1 my exam is the week after, the 25th. I've done the SB about a monthish ago, and I'm planning on doing both the SB this week and redoing the some of the old qpack to find weak spots in C/P.
Not sure what I should do to work on P/S, I'm planning on doing KA passages at this point, but there are still a couple of terms that still surprise me during FLs that I don't recall learning via kapaln.

I recall recently that @aldol16 did well on the MCAT (520+) and I believe he recommended doing SB and KA passages for P/S...

That's interesting. I wonder if the FL3 will actually be the closest representation since that was released after all other mcats and before ours

That's interesting. I wonder if the FL3 will actually be the closest representation since that was released after all other mcats and before ours

I wonder that too! I've seen people say that FL2 is more predictive than FL1, so we'll find out if that pattern holds once we get our scores back. How's everyone feeling today?

I would just make notecards out of those terms and then review the KA notes on Reddit while practicing with SB passages. Since you have a few extra days, I would definitely go through the SBs again this week but save some for after the FLs so you have some left to practice.

Members don't see this ad :)
DS taking MCAT in two weeks. He is in a BS/MD program that requires 512 to advance. He is very laissez-faire in his studying. Waking up at 10am every day during the break. Putting in a 3-4 hours study by my anxious observation. FL3 513, FL2 511. Section scores all over the place. Don't know which way it is going to break on test day, could be perfect storm or super planet alignment. Don't know.

Can't push an elephant. But did give him a road guide for last two weeks. Find out where the testing center is. If more than 25 minutes driving away, don't take chances on testing day, rent a hotel next to testing center. School starts tomorrow, don't have much time to be focused. Just go over Question pack CARS and SB x2, blast through EK contents quickly, blast through Khan P/S notes quickly. Go through UWorld P/S Section (free trial). Go through FL 1 2 3 wrongs.

Get into exam biorhythm. Go to sleep by 10:30, up at 6:45 . Mind is sharpest 1 1/2 hour after waking up, washing out all melatonin/ body stress hormones. Prepare your mind AND body.

Last day prior, please review Kaplan Quick Sheet and AAMC Flashcards. Bound to pick up one or two questions from that quick sheet review.

Can't push an elephant. Just hoping his laissez-faire is adequate.

Could be. I think FL 2 and FL 3 will be most representative but who knows. As long as the breakdown of content is similar to the tests then I will be happy.

DS taking MCAT in two weeks. He is in a BS/MD program that requires 512 to advance. He is very laissez-faire in his studying. Waking up at 10am every day during the break. Putting in a 3-4 hours study by my anxious observation. FL3 513, FL2 511. Section scores all over the place. Don't know which way it is going to break on test day, could be perfect storm or super planet alignment. Don't know.

Can't push an elephant. But did give him a road guide for last two weeks. Find out where the testing center is. If more than 25 minutes driving away, don't take chances on testing day, rent a hotel next to testing center. School starts tomorrow, don't have much time to be focused. Just go over Question pack CARS and SB x2, blast through EK contents quickly, blast through Khan P/S notes quickly. Go through UWorld P/S Section (free trial). Go through FL 1 2 3 wrongs.

Get into exam biorhythm. Go to sleep by 10:30, up at 6:45 . Mind is sharpest 1 1/2 hour after waking up, washing out all melatonin/ body stress hormones. Prepare your mind AND body.

Last day prior, please review Kaplan Quick Sheet and AAMC Flashcards. Bound to pick up one or two questions from that quick sheet review.

Can't push an elephant. Just hoping his laissez-faire is adequate.

Sorry, are you talking about your child? Did he ask you to post for him?

Reactions: 1 users
hmmm kind of surprised about my FL3 score, didnt perform as well as I nearly had expected....lots of work to be done :/

Is it just me or is AAMC FL3 harder than FL1 and FL2? I got the lowest score on FL3 for some reason
Took it today and got the same score as FL2. Definitely thought it was harder (I think I got a lower raw number questions correct score) but scaled score ended up being the same so graded a little easier I guess.

Update: Took AAMC FL 3 yesterday and scored 513 (129/127/128/129). Overall happy with the results. Especially given the fact that my diagnostic in May was 489. Really thought my ceiling score was around 508 but I'm really happy with the progress that I've made the past couple of months jumping from 505 on AAMC Sample to 510 and 513 on AAMC FL 1 & 3 respectively. In regards to the test, the passages (especially for C/P) were short to me which I'm not complaining about but just thought it was interesting. I'm not sure if AAMC FL 3 is a representation of changes to be made to this year's tests but if so, I'm glad I got some exposure to it. Really happy with my improvement on P/S especially because it was all I focused on this past week since AAMC FL 1 where I scored 126. I plan to review the test today and formulate my schedule for this week. However, I'm in this mindset right now of coasting into test day because I don't feel like there is much else I can do other than continue to practice CARS and review notecards. But if anyone has any insight, it'd be much appreciated. Best of luck y'all!
Nice! I hope to do as well on FL 3 which is my next exam to take!

Hey guys, I could really use some advice for them B/B section. I took FL3 yesterday and I did good (514) but I feel it was very flukey. I got 127 in C/P when it’s by far my worst subject, and 126 in B/B when I thought that section would be reliable for me...

In fact, my B/B scores have dropped from 128 on the sample to 127 on AAMC FL1 to 126 on FL3 yesterday. I’m kinda freakin out because I was going to devote these last 2 weeks to the C/P section but B/B is really calling for attention.

I don’t have an issue with the passage interpretation, but more understanding of concepts for example how promoters/primers work, does osmotic pressure cause diarrhea or constipation, how the digestive process flow, etc.

I was planning on slamming TBR passages for C/P all week but I need to pull B/B up too. Advice is greatly appreciated!

Hey guys, I could really use some advice for them B/B section. I took FL3 yesterday and I did good (514) but I feel it was very flukey. I got 127 in C/P when it’s by far my worst subject, and 126 in B/B when I thought that section would be reliable for me...

In fact, my B/B scores have dropped from 128 on the sample to 127 on AAMC FL1 to 126 on FL3 yesterday. I’m kinda freakin out because I was going to devote these last 2 weeks to the C/P section but B/B is really calling for attention.

I don’t have an issue with the passage interpretation, but more understanding of concepts for example how promoters/primers work, does osmotic pressure cause diarrhea or constipation, how the digestive process flow, etc.

I was planning on slamming TBR passages for C/P all week but I need to pull B/B up too. Advice is greatly appreciated!

Sounds to me like you need to change your approach to content review for B/B. What have you been doing so far?

I've noticed there's really no replacement for a solid understanding of the material when you're actually taking the courses.

I've noticed there's really no replacement for a solid understanding of the material when you're actually taking the courses.

Idk, for me it's a problem of jogging my memory because I learned some of this content back in high school (6 years ago now!) and haven't covered the same territory since then - e.g. my college's intro bio class doesn't really cover physiology but my high school one did. It's possible that others are in the same boat.

Sounds to me like you need to change your approach to content review for B/B. What have you been doing so far?

To be honest I haven't done too much for B/B other than just reviewing things I get wrong in the practice material. But going through this last practice test, nearly all of my wrong answers are due to content. Just not knowing things, especially in molecular biology. I'm trying to figure out how to best utilize the time I have left...given that I need more knowledge, should I just watch tons of Youtube videos on B/B topics I'm weak on? Or should I blow through the EK bio books in the next week? I need to seriously work on C/P too and was hoping I'd be pretty set in the other sections by now so I could devote myself to it.

Idk, for me it's a problem of jogging my memory because I learned some of this content back in high school (6 years ago now!) and haven't covered the same territory since then - e.g. my college's intro bio class doesn't really cover physiology but my high school one did. It's possible that others are in the same boat.

Interesting you say that cause I think you're right in that taking physiology really helps. I took upper division physiology about 2 years ago (I'm a senior) and it really helps because MCAT ties all questions to the human body

Dec. 27th: AAMC FL 1: 501 (126/123/128/124)
Today: AAMC FL 2: 501 (125/126/125/125)

Goal 508. Testing 19th.

*Audible gulp*

Dec. 27th: AAMC FL 1: 501 (126/123/128/124)
Today: AAMC FL 2: 501 (125/126/125/125)

Goal 508. Testing 19th.

*Audible gulp*

The good news is if you superscore that it's a 505, so you have the potential to achieve the score you want. There's a lot of variation here though - you brought CARS up by 3 points in a week and a half, which is incredible. Not sure why you had the score drop in B/B - are you having content issues or testing issues? You could bring P/S up by a few points by using the Reddit KA notes from what I've seen elsewhere, but you'll have to really buckle down these two weeks. It's possible!

WOW. Are you going for 528?
Originally, my goal was to beat my (now expired) 34 from the old exam and score ~516. But with the way my practice test are going I think it's reasonable to expect a score in the neighborhood of 518-520. Anything >520 would be amazing

I took FL3 on 12/20 and scored 512 (129/128/130/125). Still really annoyed I scored so low on P/S compared to normal, and that my score dropped from my 514 on FL1. but I think it was a fluke, and I think I’ll reach my 514+ goal by the 19th

Still have FL2 to finish next week. Plan is to go through the AAMC outline and continue drilling P/S

The good news is if you superscore that it's a 505, so you have the potential to achieve the score you want. There's a lot of variation here though - you brought CARS up by 3 points in a week and a half, which is incredible. Not sure why you had the score drop in B/B - are you having content issues or testing issues? You could bring P/S up by a few points by using the Reddit KA notes from what I've seen elsewhere, but you'll have to really buckle down these two weeks. It's possible!

Last edited:
Bruh. Set goal above 520, push the limits, you clearly are capable
Regardless of what my "goal score" is, I'm going to continue working as hard as I can until test day arrives, so in my opinion the concept is moot anyways. But I think getting 520+ would be an achievable score, and I would be psyched to do so well.

Regardless of what my "goal score" is, I'm going to continue working as hard as I can until test day arrives, so in my opinion the concept is moot anyways. But I think getting 520+ would be an achievable score, and I would be psyched to do so well.

I'm expecting at least a 530 from you based on your scores already

Just finished AAMC Sample (58%/92%/63%/88%) which from the various converters is around a 510? I'm getting a range from 507-513. If it's 513 I'm ecstatic but if it's 507 I'm pretty upset with myself so like... not sure how to feel right now.

Just finished AAMC Sample (58%/92%/63%/88%) which from the various converters is around a 510? I'm getting a range from 507-513. If it's 513 I'm ecstatic but if it's 507 I'm pretty upset with myself so like... not sure how to feel right now.

I had a very similar sample score and just averaged it to the middle of the converter scores, and on my first scored I got 509, which was right where my average was.

I had a very similar sample score and just averaged it to the middle of the converter scores, and on my first scored I got 509, which was right where my average was.

Yeah I got a 510 on FL3 a week and a half ago and was hoping to get higher this time :/

For the sample AAMC I use the AAMC FL raw scores 1-3 for the scaled conversion which seems to hold up pretty well. For you, the low end score from your data is a 124/130/124/129 (507), the high end is a 125/130/125/130 (510) and the averages amongst the data is 124/130/125/130 (509). I'd imagine you are somewhere within that score by a few points give or take for what its worth. Its a little lower than the other conversions you have but regardless your results certainly give you a good indication as to what you need to work on. Luckily you have a strong CARS score; a bit of work in the sciences could bring pretty quick improvements as opposed to moving the other scores up any.

For the sample AAMC I use the AAMC FL raw scores 1-3 for the scaled conversion which seems to hold up pretty well. For you, the low end score from your data is a 124/130/124/129 (507), the high end is a 125/130/125/130 (510) and the averages amongst the data is 124/130/125/130 (509). I'd imagine you are somewhere within that score by a few points give or take for what its worth. Its a little lower than the other conversions you have but regardless your results certainly give you a good indication as to what you need to work on. Luckily you have a strong CARS score; a bit of work in the sciences could bring pretty quick improvements as opposed to moving the other scores up any.

Yeah I realllly need to get my sciences up. I haven't completely memorized formulas or amino acids yet, hopefully that will pull me up some.

From what I've noticed, memorizing the amino acids will get you a lot further than memorizing formulas. Just knowing the amino acids seems to get one about an average of 5 more questions right each for C/P and B/B