*The Official MCAT January 2018 Thread*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mariposas905

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! Now that the new test dates are out, I figured I'd start a thread for all the January 2018 test-takers prepping for (and most definitely, slaying) this beast! ;) This is a retake for me, but I'm aiming high! Who else is taking it in January?

I'm sure that sharing insights and support on SDN will make this journey all the more worth it. I have a feeling 2018 is off to a great start! Good luck everyone and may the odds be ever in our favor.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Update: Took FL 2 today and scored 513 (130/127/129/127). Fairly happy with the score overall. I didn't feel "in the zone" with this test. Just felt sort of distracted for some reason. Maybe didn't get enough sleep the night before. Highly doubt it will be the same on test day. I also felt iffy on some of the discrete questions but felt good on most of the passage based questions so I feel like I just need to refresh my memory with Anki cards and I'll be good to go. Crazy that its almost here!

Reactions: 2 users
good job to everyone, those are some amazing scores! No kidding its so close. Hopefully I can break that 510 mark when I take FL1 tomorrow...

Reactions: 1 users
I havn't posted in this thread yet but I have been following for the past few weeks. My MCAT is scheduled for the 25th. I am taking AAMC FL2 today, I didnt sleep well last night (around 4hrs) but I figured I wont sleep well the night before the exam either so....more realistic right? lol. AAMC FL1 was 512 hoping to match it today.

Reactions: 1 user
I havn't posted in this thread yet but I have been following for the past few weeks. My MCAT is scheduled for the 25th. I am taking AAMC FL2 today, I didnt sleep well last night (around 4hrs) but I figured I wont sleep well the night before the exam either so....more realistic right? lol. AAMC FL1 was 512 hoping to match it today.

Good luck!!!! You got this!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Found out that I converted the AAMC Sample I took last week wrong. SO..its actually a 509 not 513. Thats nice lol. Taking FL1 today in about 30 min, will update this evening!

Reactions: 2 users
Took FL2 today and got a 511. Pretty disappointed as I scored 514 on FL3 last week and wanted to match it or ideally score higher.

FL1 - 511 (125/130/127/129)

FL3 - 514 (127/132/126/129)

FL2 - 511 (126/130/128/127)

It seems on each exam I have a surprisingly bad section (C/P for FL1, B/B for FL3, and P/S for FL2).

I really hope P/S was an outlier for me today because I'd be dismayed with a score like that on that section, which I was counting on to make up for my lower sciences. I haven't watched all the KA videos or gone through the 300 page notes yet, so hopefully there's gains to be made. I have limited time left...I assume at this point going through the notes will be more time efficient.

Here's my plan for the home stretch.

Tomorrow: FL2 review, KA P/S notes
Monday: OG questions + review, KA P/S notes
Tuesday: Second half of C/P SB, KA P/S notes
Wednesday: Final review of all topics and questions I missed from all AAMC material
Thursday/Friday: Rest
Saturday: *gulp*

I'm definitely feeling less confident than I did after the 514 :( Open to any suggestions!

Took FL2 today and got a 511. Pretty disappointed as I scored 514 on FL3 last week and wanted to match it or ideally score higher.

It seems on each exam I have a surprisingly bad section (C/P for FL1, B/B for FL3, and P/S for FL2).

I really hope P/S was an outlier for me today because I'd be dismayed with a score like that on that section, which I was counting on to make up for my lower sciences. I haven't watched all the KA videos or gone through the 300 page notes yet, so hopefully there's gains to be made. I have limited time left...I assume at this point going through the notes will be more time efficient.

Wednesday: Final review of all topics and questions I missed from all AAMC material

I'm definitely feeling less confident than I did after the 514 :( Open to any suggestions!

You've gotta keep the post-514 feeling alive. That 132 on FL3 is incredible, congrats! The OG questions might shake your confidence a little so look out for that. Honestly your plan looks solid to me but I'm no expert.

That interesting....

I also just finished AAMC FL2 and scored the exact same as FL 1
AAMC FL 1 (129/127/130/126)
AAMC FL 2 (129/128/128/127)

Ill trade you my c/p score for your cars score lol

Members don't see this ad :)

Welcome! How did it go today?

Have you done the AAMC Sample? If I were you I'd do that over the OG questions, your call of course

That interesting....

I also just finished AAMC FL2 and scored the exact same as FL 1
AAMC FL 1 (129/127/130/126)
AAMC FL 2 (129/128/128/127)

Ill trade you my c/p score for your cars score lol

That's a nice even score though, you should be proud! Looks like you're in good shape.

That's a nice even score though, you should be proud! Looks like you're in good shape.

Thanks! Im happy kind of lol. Would have been nice to have made more improvement but a the same time consistency is a good. I need to figure out something to do for B/B and P/S im finishing those sections with a ridiculously large amount of time (25-30minutes).

Thanks! Im happy kind of lol. Would have been nice to have made more improvement but a the same time consistency is a good. I need to figure out something to do for B/B and P/S im finishing those sections with a ridiculously large amount of time (25-30minutes).

Omg finally someone who understands. Honestly just click end section and move on with your life, unless reviewing helps you get more right.

Took FL2 this morning at 8 AM sharp (which I should have been doing earlier) despite a lingering cold and got a 519 (130/130/130/129). My average from the three scored exams is 521 now, so I'm pretty confident I can score 520. Ready to take it and be done with this.

Omg finally someone who understands. Honestly just click end section and move on with your life, unless reviewing helps you get more right.

I think im going to make an attempt to really really slow down when reading the passages. 30 minutes is enough for 3 extra minutes per passage, I feel like being more thorough in reading will only help.....

Taking Fl 2 either monday/tuesday. Hopefully I'm heading in the right path. READY FOR THIS TO BE OVER THOUGH!

I think im going to make an attempt to really really slow down when reading the passages. 30 minutes is enough for 3 extra minutes per passage, I feel like being more thorough in reading will only help.....

YMMV but I've found that I just overthink and change to the wrong answer. Try it and let us know how it goes?

Any CARS tips?

1. When reading the passage, summarize each paragraph with just one sentence in your head. Keep it short and sweet, no matter how complex the paragraph is or what the author is throwing at you. I think this is the #1 tip and will get you most of the questions.

2. When practicing, articulate a reason for why each answer choice is right/wrong, especially for answers you get wrong, guessed on, or are 50/50 on. This is the only way to train your CARS skills. See the 7Sage Blind Review method on YouTube for more detail.

3. ALWAYS choose the answer choice that is DIRECTLY supported by the passage. No matter how fancy or appealing an answer may sound, DON'T choose it unless you can defend the answer using a specific sentence/paragraph/example from the passage. Never use your own reasoning or justification. The simpler answer that is directly supported by the passage is always right over the flashier answer that sounds right.

4. When it comes to those 50/50 questions, think really hard about them but then let it go. Let go of all the thoughts, connections, intuitions, etc you've just made and look at the question again with "fresh eyes", as if it's your first time reading the question. Then choose whatever your gut tells you. Sometimes you might even get the "aha" or "duh" answer. DON'T overthink it. This works great when coming back to flagged questions. I think this works because it's easy to get tangled up in our thought processes, and sometimes those thought processes can go astray or lead to overthinking, or if you think too hard you'll be able to justify all four answer choices. Letting go for a second can clear your mind and give you the fresh clarity you need.
Thanks so much!! I youtubed what you said and just saw LSAT stuff, is that right?

Just got a 506 (127/125/127/127) on FL1. Im ****ed. Worst CARS performance ive had. Gonna do the section banks and FL 2 and FL 3 this week and send it on test day. I just need a 510 man

How long does it take you all to review an FL? Do you take notes? On every question or just missed ones? How extensive?

Sorry, just have to do 2 more FLs after reviewing mine today and I wanna get the most efficient result since I have a week

How long does it take you all to review an FL? Do you take notes? On every question or just missed ones? How extensive?

Sorry, just have to do 2 more FLs after reviewing mine today and I wanna get the most efficient result since I have a week
So I have a google spreadsheet with a tab for every full length I've taken plus things like section banks and question packs. And then I have a bunch of columns: section, question, whether I got it wrong or right, and topics to review for that question. I include every question I got wrong (even if it was a careless mistake) and then also any questions I got right but wasn't 110% sure about or saw terms or names in the other answer choices that I didn't know. I think doing a thorough review like this is really helpful, especially when you don't just ignore everything you technically got right!

Yeah at this point, depending when your test is, dont spend too much time on your review FL. Just go through and write down the major topic/vocab words down, focus on those for a little bit, but then you gotta keep grinding away and move on. Also agree with the poster above.

Just got a 506 (127/125/127/127) on FL1. Im ****ed. Worst CARS performance ive had. Gonna do the section banks and FL 2 and FL 3 this week and send it on test day. I just need a 510 man

The cars question bank is freaking tough, I tried to do the first one yesterday and missed ALL 7 QUESTIONS for the first passage about Picasso.... wildcherry seems to be onto something with his tactics. I plan to watch some 7sage videos in the am....

I'm very envious of the scores above.
I just finished taking FL #3
and got a 505 (126,124,128,127) CARS is killllllllllllllling me. :help:

The cars question bank is freaking tough, I tried to do the first one yesterday and missed ALL 7 QUESTIONS for the first passage about Picasso.... wildcherry seems to be onto something with his tactics. I plan to watch some 7sage videos in the am....
Yeah totally agreed. The first Qpack def gets easier towards the middle, so I wouldn't freak out too much about the first few passages.

What are people’s strategy this week? I don’t have anything left to do other than review Notecards. But I want to stay in the groove of things because I feel good based on my practice test scores.

What are people’s strategy this week? I don’t have anything left to do other than review Notecards. But I want to stay in the groove of things because I feel good based on my practice test scores.
I have one more FL to take but I'm thinking of just relaxing and doing P/S KA intermittently and going over the AAMC stuff I've taken. I'm really over this exam and I haven't even worked as hard as some of you people. On that note, when should I take this last FL?(I write on Saturday)

I have one more FL to take but I'm thinking of just relaxing and doing P/S KA intermittently and going over the AAMC stuff I've taken. I'm really over this exam and I haven't even worked as hard as some of you people. On that note, when should I take this last FL?(I write on Saturday)
I'd try to take it as soon as possible! More time to review any weak areas that come up, plus better not to sit for a full length too soon before you have to do it for real.

I would say tomorrow if you can. I would give yourself a couple days of review and adjustments and then a couple days to relax/prepare for Saturday.

Hey guys,
i have a question... when i took my AAMC FL3 today the passages were not numbered and it did not tell me how many questions each passage had. it kind of threw me off. did you guys had the same display of the test? thanks

Hey guys,
i have a question... when i took my AAMC FL3 today the passages were not numbered and it did not tell me how many questions each passage had. it kind of threw me off. did you guys had the same display of the test? thanks
I read somewhere that this is the new format and that it will be like this on test day. I'm definitely not a fan.

Hey guys,
Somebody on Reddit said they contacted the AAMC, and they said that it is an error in FL3 and the real MCAT will have passage numbers. But I've also heard conflicting statements that said that there will be no passage numbers starting this year.