*The Official MCAT January 2018 Thread*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mariposas905

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! Now that the new test dates are out, I figured I'd start a thread for all the January 2018 test-takers prepping for (and most definitely, slaying) this beast! ;) This is a retake for me, but I'm aiming high! Who else is taking it in January?

I'm sure that sharing insights and support on SDN will make this journey all the more worth it. I have a feeling 2018 is off to a great start! Good luck everyone and may the odds be ever in our favor.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
From what I've noticed, memorizing the amino acids will get you a lot further than memorizing formulas. Just knowing the amino acids seems to get one about an average of 5 more questions right each for C/P and B/B

You absolutely need to know amino acids cold. Make Anki cards and/or do the below quizzes every single day. you're leaving a lot of points on the table by not knowing amino acid structures.

Single Letter Amino Acids Quiz
Amino Acids by Picture Quiz

Agree. Amino acids are the single highest yield thing on the mcat. Can we think of a couple others you have to have memorized? Enzyme kinetics for sure. Metabolism?

Reactions: 1 user
You absolutely need to know amino acids cold. Make Anki cards and/or do the below quizzes every single day. you're leaving a lot of points on the table by not knowing amino acid structures.

Single Letter Amino Acids Quiz
Amino Acids by Picture Quiz

Thank you for the links! I'll definitely start drilling these. I've been working on them on Quizlet and I have the standouts memorized but I still have a ways to go.

Agree. Amino acids are the single highest yield thing on the mcat. Can we think of a couple others you have to have memorized? Enzyme kinetics for sure. Metabolism?

I'm not reviewing it until tomorrow but when I do I'll let y'all know if I had mistakes where memorizing something simple would have helped me. I've improved a lot on enzyme kinetics since I started studying, I'd definitely attribute some of my improvement to that.

Do you guys think it would hurt if I did Q-pack practice problems the days before test day? I know they're supposed to be easier but would still keep the content in my working memory. Just wondering if it has potential harm because they're so different from the hard critical analysis thinking needed for the actual mcat now? Am I overthinking this lol?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys think it would hurt if I did Q-pack practice problems the days before test day? I know they're supposed to be easier but would still keep the content in my working memory. Just wondering if it has potential harm because they're so different from the hard critical analysis thinking needed for the actual mcat now? Am I overthinking this lol?
I don't see a problem with the q-packs themselves, but there are 6 of them...and they take 3 hr 30 min each, so you might need to finish some before.

I would do them ASAP. They are best for learning content, if you do them days before you might not have enough time to fill your weaknesses.

Well basically I have to do either the section banks or the question packs in the 4 days right before mcat. I only have time to do either section banks or question packs now, before I start the 3 FL cycle over 7 days. So my question is should I save the question packs until then or section bank? Feel like section banks should be done now since theyre THE most high yield things and then can just do Q packs in the last couple days to fill last minute content holes and stay in the rhythm of doing problems. Or is it an ok idea to leave the 3 section banks for the last 4 days?

Well basically I have to do either the section banks or the question packs in the 4 days right before mcat. I only have time to do either section banks or question packs now, before I start the 3 FL cycle over 7 days. So my question is should I save the question packs until then or section bank? Feel like section banks should be done now since theyre THE most high yield things and then can just do Q packs in the last couple days to fill last minute content holes and stay in the rhythm of doing problems. Or is it an ok idea to leave the 3 section banks for the last 4 days?
Didn't know that. Definitely finish section banks -> AAMC FL's -> use whatever Q packs on your weakest areas

Didn't know that. Definitely finish section banks -> AAMC FL's -> use whatever Q packs on your weakest areas

Yup thats what I was thinking. Thanks man. Yeah I drifted from my schedule and just spent time drilling content for the last couple days before getting SBs done.

Hey guys. I took the AAMC unscored this weekend and got 76%/74%/68%/80%. Definitely taking it with a grain of salt though. I'm working through the section bank for the second time right now but am planning on taking one of the scored on Thursday. I have yet to take 1/2/3. Is it best to take 1 scored before the other?

Hey guys. I took the AAMC unscored this weekend and got 76%/74%/68%/80%. Definitely taking it with a grain of salt though. I'm working through the section bank for the second time right now but am planning on taking one of the scored on Thursday. I have yet to take 1/2/3. Is it best to take 1 scored before the other?

The order we've worked out here is 3-1-2 because 2 is more predictive than 1 and we don't know how predictive 3 is.

Also keep in mind the unscored AAMC is generally thought to be easier than the real deal, whereas the FL are more predictive.

Also keep in mind the unscored AAMC is generally thought to be easier than the real deal, whereas the FL are more predictive.

yes, of course. I'm guessing that I'm around the 500-505 range if I'm being conservative based off of that unscored version

The order we've worked out here is 3-1-2 because 2 is more predictive than 1 and we don't know how predictive 3 is.
Based off of how I did on 3 I'm really hoping its like that, although it did feel a bit like the sample test IMO

Members don't see this ad :)
yes, of course. I'm guessing that I'm around the 500-505 range if I'm being conservative based off of that unscored version
Based on using your percentages matched to the raw scores of AAMC 1,2, and 3, you would've gotten a 128/125/126/127 (506).

I feel like... the Sample was harder for me than 3... am I alone

Nah lots of ppl on reddit say that sample is only easier on CARS and the rest are about equal. I agree. I personally found the Sample B/B and P/S hard.

Also everyone should consider that 3 may be the most representative. AAMC just released this and we're the first group of test takers since. I doubt they would just release something way different for giggles. 2 was more representative than 1, and I suppose they would do similar with 3.

Reactions: 1 users
So I have the opposite problem than most of these posters...
I took NS FL 1 and scored: 507(127/124/128/127)
Then did section banks and had roughly the same 508ish
But I took the AAMC Sample and scored 500 (125/125/125/125)
I reviewed C/P and realized 7 questions were horrible mistakes in what I thought was being asked...

Any input?

PS, I'm taking the MCAT Jan 25th not 19th...

Last edited:
So I have the opposite problem than most of these posters...
I took NS FL 1 and scored: 507(127/124/128/127)
Then did section banks and had roughly the same 508ish
But I took the AAMC Sample and scored 500 (125/125/125/125)
I reviewed C/P and realized 7 questions were horrible mistakes in what I thought was being asked...

Any input?

PS, I'm taking the MCAT Jan 25th not 19th...

Hmmm this is tricky. I'm not sure what to tell you given that you haven't finished reviewing. Did you have any timing issues?

Hmmm this is tricky. I'm not sure what to tell you given that you haven't finished reviewing. Did you have any timing issues?

Honestly no. I finished with ~10 minutes on C/P, CARS, and BB and finished like 30 minutes early for PS. I understand I would normally go back and double check the flagged questions.

Honestly no. I finished with ~10 minutes on C/P, CARS, and BB and finished like 30 minutes early for PS. I understand I would normally go back and double check the flagged questions.
I think it may help to slow down and focus on what the question is asking. MCAT often tries to trick testees using some minute details that are buried in either the passages or the question itself. This weekend, you might want to take a FL and delay the test if you're not ready.

upload_2018-1-10_9-12-6.png

Saw this on Reddit and it made me laugh....am I weird??

Reactions: 10 users
Well, the good news is that the vast majority of the C/P questions I missed I had right at first and then changed my answer. The bad news is that I changed my answers. Does anyone else have this problem?

Well, the good news is that the vast majority of the C/P questions I missed I had right at first and then changed my answer. The bad news is that I changed my answers. Does anyone else have this problem?
Is it because you go back through the answer choices and reconsider or what? Just like normal tests, learn to trust your gut instinct on an answer. If you have a feeling that a certain answer you're looking at is right, theres probably a reason for it.

Is it because you go back through the answer choices and reconsider or what? Just like normal tests, learn to trust your gut instinct on an answer. If you have a feeling that a certain answer you're looking at is right, theres probably a reason for it.

It happens while I'm originally doing the question - I'll have one answer and then think about it more and change it. I guess for my next FL I'll try going with my gut and not changing things...

506 FL 2 today. 126, 126, 128, 126. Not too disappointed b/c I dug my self out of major hole from FL3 lol but still want to raise it. I think I got this still! almost done everyone keep pushing hard

Reactions: 2 users
508- Fl 3. One point less than Fl1. Wondering if I can raise my score on the last Fl. Got a 126 on CARS on both FLs when I've been getting 129s on most full lengths.

508- Fl 3. One point less than Fl1. Wondering if I can raise my score on the last Fl. Got a 126 on CARS on both FLs when I've been getting 129s on most full lengths.

By most full lengths do you mean third party ones? The most representative CARS material is by AAMC, so if you're having more trouble with those than third party you might want to buckle down with the AAMC CARS QBanks or rethink your approach.

By most full lengths do you mean third party ones? The most representative CARS material is by AAMC, so if you're having more trouble with those than third party you might want to buckle down with the AAMC CARS QBanks or rethink your approach.
I did well on the Sample CARS and OG CARS(I know I know they're supposed to be the easiest ones). The CARS questions on the 2 AAMC Fls I've done have had some unnecessarily convoluted questions atleast to me.
BTW can anyone help on AAMC FL 3 #50?

I did well on the Sample CARS and OG CARS(I know I know they're supposed to be the easiest ones). The CARS questions on the 2 AAMC Fls I've done have had some unnecessarily convoluted questions atleast to me.
BTW can anyone help on AAMC FL 3 #50?
Question 50 for CARS?

oh yeah my bad. No, I wanted help on #50 for C/P on FL 3.
This one could be done using dimensional analysis. The answer is in um^3/s, you have .3mm/s in the question, and in the passage it states area is 2.5x10^4 um^2. Just knowing those units it can be inferred you should multiply them together to the units in the product. Or you can memorize that flow rate=velocity*area, whichever is easier.

Last edited:
Hey Guys mind if I ask how your timing is for CARS?

I had a pretty good control of my timing, but I noticed I was making some careless mistakes in questions ad decided to slow it down a bit, but I'm getting too close at clocking out, at my usual pace. Sometimes not even getting time to fully comprehend and answer one last question. Though I have been getting more correct though, so that's nice I suppose?

I had a pretty good control of my timing, but I noticed I was making some careless mistakes in questions ad decided to slow it down a bit, but I'm getting too close at clocking out, at my usual pace. Sometimes not even getting time to fully comprehend and answer one last question. Though I have been getting more correct though, so that's nice I suppose?
For CARS it is a good idea to go with your gut feeling and move on. #1 mistake people make is staying on a question too long so that they have a hard time finishing.

For CARS it is a good idea to go with your gut feeling and move on. #1 mistake people make is staying on a question too long so that they have a hard time finishing.
Ironically I was actually trying to avoid doing that haha. I've kept this in my mind when I was starting out, but it was leading to many careless mistakes so I tried to take it a bit slower.
How long do you take to read the passage?

I break the section down into thirds. I want to be done with 3 Passages in 30 minutes. This gives me very good indicators of how much time I have left per “third” and where I’m at in the test. If I’m really struggling I just go with my gut and move on.

Uhhhhh I tend to finish all of the sections in like half the time allotted so I am really not the person to ask about timing. If you're just running up against the time though you should be fine, especially if your current approach is helping you get more correct.

Ugh 509 (127/130/125/127) on FL1 today. Not sure what happened with Psych, usually that's better for me. I think I need to push back FL2 in favor of grinding out the Section Bank - I'll just have to take it at 6:30 am or something during the week.

Ugh 509 (127/130/125/127) on FL1 today. Not sure what happened with Psych, usually that's better for me. I think I need to push back FL2 in favor of grinding out the Section Bank - I'll just have to take it at 6:30 am or something during the week.

Damn lol its 10:30 AM where I'm at and you're already done with an FL. You on the east coast? You really do just fly through those sections huh.

Or maybe just spend longer than half the allotted time on each section...

Damn lol its 10:30 AM where I'm at and you're already done with an FL. You on the east coast? You really do just fly through those sections huh.

Or maybe just spend longer than half the allotted time on each section...

I'm in Central Time for today and then I'm going back to school on the East Coast tomorrow lol. I've tried taking longer but it just makes me really anxious and prone to more error - I end up changing answers from right to wrong. I'm just a really fast reader.

I'm in Central Time for today and then I'm going back to school on the East Coast tomorrow lol. I've tried taking longer but it just makes me really anxious and prone to more error - I end up changing answers from right to wrong. I'm just a really fast reader.

so for the 3 non CARS sections you pretty much read the passage within like 2-3 mins and then go through the questions quickly? What if you're unsure about a question..I'm assuming you don't linger and just pick what your gut says?

so for the 3 non CARS sections you pretty much read the passage within like 2-3 mins and then go through the questions quickly? What if you're unsure about a question..I'm assuming you don't linger and just pick what your gut says?

I read CARS passages in about 2-3 minutes. Non-CARS takes less time, maybe 30-45 seconds? Especially psych passages, those are a breeze. I actually do linger on questions but turns out my gut is more right than I think it is. I still have Bio volume 2 and the section banks to work through so hopefully that helps.

I read CARS passages in about 2-3 minutes. Non-CARS takes less time, maybe 30-45 seconds? Especially psych passages, those are a breeze. I actually do linger on questions but turns out my gut is more right than I think it is. I still have Bio volume 2 and the section banks to work through so hopefully that helps.

I could read that fast but then I won't actually retain or process it. Do you still retain/process the passage well? I guess it has a lot to do with not getting harped up on the few confusing as **** sentences in all the passages.

I could read that fast but then I won't actually retain or process it. Do you still retain/process the passage well? I guess it has a lot to do with not getting harped up on the few confusing as **** sentences in all the passages.

Exactly. I retain CARS pretty well and then when I'm reading if something doesn't make sense I skip over the words until it makes sense again. If a question asks about the confusing bits then I go back and work it out but more often than not it doesn't. I'm not scoring as high as I'd like so take this with a few grains of salt, but most of my mistakes on today's are content issues or second guessing myself so I think my approach itself is sound.

That CARS score looking good, jealous!

Just took FL2 today and got a 520 ^_____^ 131/129/130/130.

I now have a really wide range of FL scores and have no idea how to predict my upcoming score, but as long as I score about 514+ I'll be fine with it.

Test Date CP/CARS/BB/PS Overall
AAMC FL 1 12/12 130/127/128/129 514

AAMC FL 3 12/20 129/128/130/125 512

AAMC FL 2 1/12 131/129/130/130 520

Just took FL2 today and got a 520 ^_____^ 131/129/130/130.

I now have a really wide range of FL scores and have no idea how to predict my upcoming score, but as long as I score about 514+ I'll be fine with it.

Test Date CP/CARS/BB/PS Overall
AAMC FL 1 12/12 130/127/128/129 514

AAMC FL 3 12/20 129/128/130/125 512

AAMC FL 2 1/12 131/129/130/130 520

Have you been doing mostly content review since 12/20 or practice problems? What do you attribute to most for that score increase?