*** The Official Meharry College of Dentistry Class of 2023 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone good luck on your applications!! I’m currently in the MHS program so I’m one of those guaranteed seats so I look forward to meeting my future classmates! I wanted to tell people that freaking out about Meharry’s late response is typical. When I applied last year, I interviewed for the dental school, got rejected, but I was offered a seat in the MHS program.

I interviewed early February and I heard back about my rejection late February. Then in early April I was offered a seat in the MHS program. So if you are passionate about going to Meharry be patient. Their admission office is INSANELY slow for some reason, but once you get on campus you will be so happy that you ignored their lack of professionalism because the people on this campus are like family and its crazy how much support I feel from the most random people... like the ladies in the Cafe and even the security guard at the front doors. Reach out to me if y’all have any questions. I joined one of the 2023 FB pages where Oscar is the Admin... For some reason there is like 3 pages. Find me on that page if you’d like. Good luck! I hope y’all hear back soon.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hey everyone good luck on your applications!! I’m currently in the MHS program so I’m one of those guaranteed seats so I look forward to meeting my future classmates! I wanted to tell people that freaking out about Meharry’s late response is typical. When I applied last year, I interviewed for the dental school, got rejected, but I was offered a seat in the MHS program.

I interviewed early February and I heard back about my rejection late February. Then in early April I was offered a seat in the MHS program. So if you are passionate about going to Meharry be patient. Their admission office is INSANELY slow for some reason, but once you get on campus you will be so happy that you ignored their lack of professionalism because the people on this campus are like family and its crazy how much support I feel from the most random people... like the ladies in the Cafe and even the security guard at the front doors. Reach out to me if y’all have any questions. I joined one of the 2023 FB pages where Oscar is the Admin... For some reason there is like 3 pages. Find me on that page if you’d like. Good luck! I hope y’all hear back soon.
Ok I’m just going to ask. About how many people are here in the group? Wondering how many seats are left.

Reactions: 1 user
Ok I’m just going to ask. About how many people are here in the group? Wondering how many seats are left.
There’s 3 groups with a total of 16 people in them. Plus the 20 dental MHS students. So you can do the math on that.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
There’s 3 groups with a total of 16 people in them. Plus the 20 dental MHS students. So you can do the math on that.
Thanks for the encouraging words. I had an interview a while back. Is there anything you would recommend us doing while we wait? I plan to volunteer for Oral Health Day

What are the names of the groups. I would like to join them.

Just go to Facebook and search Meharry School of Dentistry 2023. All 3 groups should pop up. At least that’s what I did. I don’t know which is the best one to join, but hopefully we can get then consolidated into one

Thanks for the encouraging words. I had an interview a while back. Is there anything you would recommend us doing while we wait? I plan to volunteer for Oral Health Day

You can. I honestly think that you should do whatever makes you happy as you wait. As you know Meharry is really big on volunteering and serving the underserved communities, but I dont see it as a plus or a minus for your application. It just makes you a great person. Lol. Just know that they definitely don’t have the class nearly full by now. A very strong percentage of the current D1 class was accepted in late February/early March. So hopefully you hear something very soon.

Last edited:
Just go to Facebook and search Meharry School of Dentistry 2023. All 3 groups should pop up. At least that’s what I did. I don’t know which is the best one to join, but hopefully we can get then consolidated into one
Found them thanks!!

Does anyone have any advice for Meharry's interview?

Yes, Be calm and relaxed. Also prepare to talk about any shortcomings you may have on your GPA or DAT. My interview was mostly just a easy going hangout and chat with the interviewers, but they grilled me pretty hard about my GPA and proving that I was worthy of acceptance for about a total of 10 minutes. Other than that the interview seemed pretty laid back to me.

Reactions: 2 users
@ToothFairy8091 be ready to answer any questions about your DAT and gpa because they most likely will ask. Answer the common questions, why Meharry, why dentistry, etc. There aren’t any crazy or trick questions. It’s pretty straight forward. It always helps to review your resume and what got you on the path to dentistry before going on interviews. I don’t get nervous on interviews but it’s ok if you do. Just remember, no one can tell your story like you. Just be yourself!

Did anybody got accepted from the waitlist yet? I’m still waiting. It will be one month next week since I got waitlisted. The wait is frustrating. Do y’all think I have a chance of acceptance?

Did anybody got accepted from the waitlist yet? I’m still waiting. It will be one month next week since I got waitlisted. The wait is frustrating. Do y’all think I have a chance of acceptance?
Im thinking we probably won’t hear anything until after the next set of interviews which are on March 8th. Anything is possible so yes, you do have a chance!! Until then stay positive and busy!

Members don't see this ad :)
@ToothFairy8091 be ready to answer any questions about your DAT and gpa because they most likely will ask. Answer the common questions, why Meharry, why dentistry, etc. There aren’t any crazy or trick questions. It’s pretty straight forward. It always helps to review your resume and what got you on the path to dentistry before going on interviews. I don’t get nervous on interviews but it’s ok if you do. Just remember, no one can tell your story like you. Just be yourself!
Thank you!

Yes, Be calm and relaxed. Also prepare to talk about any shortcomings you may have on your GPA or DAT. My interview was mostly just a easy going hangout and chat with the interviewers, but they grilled me pretty hard about my GPA and proving that I was worthy of acceptance for about a total of 10 minutes. Other than that the interview seemed pretty laid back to me.
Thank you!

I have to agree with some of the other posts with the class being barely full. I got an interview invite on 2/28. My interview date is March 15th.

I have to agree with some of the other posts with the class being barely full. I got an interview invite on 2/28. My interview date is March 15th.
When was the last available date for interviews?

When was the last available date for interviews?
I don’t know exactly they gave me three interview dates to choose from 3 Friday’s in March. The last one was March 22nd I could choose

Just a heads up to those of going on interviews. Brush up on the history of the school. During my interview I was asked “What do you know about the school?” And also, “tell me the history of the school?”

I submitted my application on June 23rd and my supplemental August 20th. I have an 18AA and 3.75 GPA and 3.70 sGPA. Meharry is my dream school so I am getting worried that I haven't heard back yet. Do ya'll think I have a chance with 60 hours of shadowing and 40 hours of volunteering?

Is anybody pursuing the hpsp schloroship with the military?
If so which branch?
And do you know when we will hear back on a decision?

I submitted my application on June 23rd and my supplemental August 20th. I have an 18AA and 3.75 GPA and 3.70 sGPA. Meharry is my dream school so I am getting worried that I haven't heard back yet. Do ya'll think I have a chance with 60 hours of shadowing and 40 hours of volunteering?
I think you have a solid shot man, hold the faith

Is anybody pursuing the hpsp schloroship with the military?
If so which branch?
And do you know when we will hear back on a decision?

I was told by my NAVY recruiter that the deadline for this year is over. I also spoke with the ARMY recuiters.They said the last review committee made decisions in February. I had my packet ready for submission, but still awaiting an admission letter from the dental schools I interviewed with. Pretty much I missed the deadline for the 4-year scholarship, so now I will be applying for the 3-year scholarship, which takes effect during D2 year.

Does anybody know or knows someone that was accepted from their waitlist. The wait is agonizing. I don’t even know if I should start studying for the DAT again to reapply for next cycle or just wait to hear what they say. It’s been a while since I was on the waitlist. And the class isn’t full either. Plus I know a couple of people that are already accepted to Meharry and not taking their offer of admission too.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anybody know or knows someone that was accepted from their waitlist. The wait is agonizing. I don’t even know if I should start studying for the DAT again to reapply for next cycle or just wait to hear what they say. It’s been a while since I was on the waitlist. And the class isn’t full either. Plus I know a couple of people that are already accepted to Meharry and not taking their offer of admission too.
I was interviewed in January and still have not heard anything yet. The wait is agonizing, especially when they tell you that the admission committee meet every week. Everytime I head out for an interview has cost me an additional $1k. I would dread doing another cycle also.

I was interviewed in January and still have not heard anything yet. The wait is agonizing, especially when they tell you that the admission committee meet every week. Everytime I head out for an interview has cost me an additional $1k. I would dread doing another cycle also.

Same. I interviewed in January as well. The wait is brutal; especially with family/coworkers/friends asking me if I got in everyday...

What has helped with expenses was having a travel rewards credit card. That knocked $800 off my trip.

Reactions: 4 users
Same. I interviewed in January as well. The wait is brutal; especially with family/coworkers/friends asking me if I got in everyday...

What has helped with expenses was having a travel rewards credit card. That knocked $800 off my trip.
Everyone asks me as well. I keep saying, “You will be one of the first to know when I find out.” (Please stop asking me lol)

Reactions: 4 users
I understand what y’all are going through. I’ve been waiting since November. All my coworkers keep asking, all the ppl I kickbox with keep asking, my big boss keeps asking, ppl asking my family...

I started reading and it gave me peace of mind. It’s a Book on PDF called Empowering Yourself. If any of you want to read it just dm me and I’ll forward it to y’all.

Keep the faith

I understand what y’all are going through. I’ve been waiting since November. All my coworkers keep asking, all the ppl I kickbox with keep asking, my big boss keeps asking, ppl asking my family...

I started reading and it gave me peace of mind. It’s a Book on PDF called Empowering Yourself. If any of you want to read it just dm me and I’ll forward it to y’all.

Keep the faith

Working and staying busy helps a lot too. I keep reminding myself that they interviewed me for a reason. It's NOT by mistake that they wanted to talk to me and they are well aware of the sacrifices (financially and otherwise) to travel to Nashville. You are right my brother, keep the faith.

If you are accepted and committed please join the Meharry SOD 2023 Facebook page. There are currently three pages but we are trying to consolidate them to one.

I finally got accepted from the waitlist yesterday aswell. I’m accepting the offer. See you all Meharrians in June. I’m also overwhelmed by the moving process. I don’t know when I’m suppose to look and rent for an apartment and all the good stuff. I hope they will send me some guidance packet in the mail with the acceptance letter. If there are Meharry dental students in this trend please DM me and give me some advice on apartments.

Reactions: 5 users
I finally got accepted from the waitlist yesterday aswell. I’m accepting the offer. See you all Meharrians in June. I’m also overwhelmed by the moving process. I don’t know when I’m suppose to look and rent for an apartment and all the good stuff. I hope they will send me some guidance packet in the mail with the acceptance letter. If there are Meharry dental students in this trend please DM me and give me some advice on apartments.
Hey I would love to talk to you more about apartments but I can’t DM you. It won’t let me start a conversation.

Hey, I am a current student at Meharry I will be happy to talk to you about living situations as well. I got the same error message when I tried to DM you. I will tell you this: every student gets a parking pass, so you can decide if you want to live on campus and walk to class, or drive to class from an arguably better place off campus.

On campus Housing Options (You only pay electric, water and internet provided):
Dorthy Brown Hall (the worst, but cheapest option)
Royal Towers (Not terrible, mid priced ~$800+ for single bedroom apt)
Morena Place (New building. Very nice. Very expensive. Think its abt $1000)

Most people who live off campus end up living at:
Bellevue Apartments (this is where most people live and this is also where pool parties are typically held if you care to go to those with people on campus)
The Parc at Metro Center ( a little quieter, really nice apartments though)
Just know that if you find a place to live you want to live either on campus, or at least a 10 min drive away from campus. The immediate surrounding apartments are either in the hood or super expensive because of Vanderbilt (which is a couple blocks away).

Reactions: 3 users
Approximately how long after the interview did it take the school to send out a decision? I dont remember them saying anything about it.

I got my acceptance today! I interviewed on 2/15.

Any more admissions news? MHS invites? Deny/ acceptances? Im not waitlisted so I don't know how to feel...
It is very nerve wrecking. I'm trying to bask in the fact that no news is good news.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone!

Long time reader, first time poster. I have an interview coming up and I'm trying to get a feel for how long between interviews and decisions. I also want to know when you're expected to be on campus once you get accepted. I don't live in Tennessee so I'm trying to get a feel for how quickly I'd have to potentially uproot if I was blessed with an acceptance.

Hi Everyone!

Long time reader, first time poster. I have an interview coming up and I'm trying to get a feel for how long between interviews and decisions. I also want to know when you're expected to be on campus once you get accepted. I don't live in Tennessee so I'm trying to get a feel for how quickly I'd have to potentially uproot if I was blessed with an acceptance.

Good luck with your application! I know for a fact that the dental class will be wrapped up soon. So all accepted applicants for the Dental class will be informed by early April. However, there is also the possibility that any interviewed applicants may be considered for the MHS program, and those individuals will be informed by early May (as the conduct MHS interviews in April).

If you are accepted into the Dental class, Orientation week is the week of June 17th, and classes begin that following Monday June 24th. So I would strongly recommend moving in early June to get accustomed to Nashville a little bit before starting the program.

However, if you are accepted into the MHS program, Orientation and classes won’t begin until early August, so you can look into housing for the end of the summer.

Hope this helps at all.

Good luck with your application! I know for a fact that the dental class will be wrapped up soon. So all accepted applicants for the Dental class will be informed by early April. However, there is also the possibility that any interviewed applicants may be considered for the MHS program, and those individuals will be informed by early May (as the conduct MHS interviews in April).

If you are accepted into the Dental class, Orientation week is the week of June 17th, and classes begin that following Monday June 24th. So I would strongly recommend moving in early June to get accustomed to Nashville a little bit before starting the program.

However, if you are accepted into the MHS program, Orientation and classes won’t begin until early August, so you can look into housing for the end of the summer.

Hope this helps at all.

This helps a ton, thank you! I'm a little nervous about the dental class getting wrapped up soon. It makes me feel like I don't have a chance with the 2019 class but i'll try to stay positive.

This helps a ton, thank you! I'm a little nervous about the dental class getting wrapped up soon. It makes me feel like I don't have a chance with the 2019 class but i'll try to stay positive.

Give it your best shot regardless of circumstances. If they invited you for an interview then there must be something in your application that they liked about you. They had over 3600 people to choose from and they chose you! Be grateful and kill the interview. To answer your question some people hear back immediately and others (like me) don't. I interviewed back in January and still haven't heard a peep. I just try to pray and keep busy. It's not easy but Im trusting in the Lord. This has been a 7 year journey after getting my bachelors. Do your best and let God do the rest.

Give it your best shot regardless of circumstances. If they invited you for an interview then there must be something in your application that they liked about you. They had over 3600 people to choose from and they chose you! Be grateful and kill the interview. To answer your question some people hear back immediately and others (like me) don't. I interviewed back in January and still haven't heard a peep. I just try to pray and keep busy. It's not easy but Im trusting in the Lord. This has been a 7 year journey after getting my bachelors. Do your best and let God do the rest.

I interviewed in February and haven't heard anything yet either. I'm also not a traditional student so I know exactly how you feel!

Hope this helps at all.

Just curious. About how many students do they interview for the dental class?

Status
Not open for further replies.