*** The Official Meharry College of Dentistry Class of 2023 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any news??

No, not yet. They told my interview group that we can expect to hear something 3 weeks from our interview date at the earliest. It's best to stay busy and to not let this consume you. We will all know in due time...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
The admissions director literally told me that they were going to make a decision by this week and send it to everyone by February 1st but still nothing. It’s really frustrating sometimes.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if interviews still going on?

Members don't see this ad :)
I definitely feel your frustration. Admissions told us several incorrect dates for when decisions would be made for pre-December interviews and it was incredibly upsetting gearing up all day to hear back and hearing... nothing. They gave us 2 more false alarm dates, and by the end of the process, I felt pretty bitter. I think many of us finally heard back decisions 2 weeks after December 1st, and I know a few of us never even heard back at all.

Feeling for you and rooting for you, FutureDentist. Know that it's not personal and not a problem with you as an applicant, but that their Admissions officers shouldn't make promises that they're not able to verify or keep. The frustration/unprofessionalism is so, so real-- especially when it's a great school overall and for many of us, it was/is our first choice for a variety of reasons. This sort of thing makes it hard to feel super positive about their administration.
Exactly! I was really rooting for Meharry, but decided to go somewhere else.

Reactions: 1 user
Exactly! I was really rooting for Meharry, but decided to go somewhere else.

Could that somewhere else be Howard? I saw that you got accepted! CONGRATZ on this accomplishment!!!!

I definitely feel your frustration. Admissions told us several incorrect dates for when decisions would be made for pre-December interviews and it was incredibly upsetting gearing up all day to hear back and hearing... nothing. They gave us 2 more false alarm dates, and by the end of the process, I felt pretty bitter. I think many of us finally heard back decisions 2 weeks after December 1st, and I know a few of us never even heard back at all.

Feeling for you and rooting for you, FutureDentist. Know that it's not personal and not a problem with you as an applicant, but that their Admissions officers shouldn't make promises that they're not able to verify or keep. The frustration/unprofessionalism is so, so real-- especially when it's a great school overall and for many of us, it was/is our first choice for a variety of reasons. This sort of thing makes it hard to feel super positive about their administration.
Thank you very much @struggles101.

Yeah so I’m done with work for today and thought I’d play around with some numbers and probability. We know that Meharry started interviewing candidates in late September/early October. Assuming that Meharry interviews an average of 8 candidates every Friday from October to March 8th (with the exception of campus holiday breaks) would give us roughly 168 applicants that Meharry will interview. We were told that March 8th will be the last day they plan to interview but, will keep adding to the class right up to two weeks before MAPS. Most private institutions will offer acceptances that are double the size of the projected class size because roughly half of those accepted will choose their in-state public schools or other cheaper options. The class size for Meharry is 62 this year. We also know that some will bomb their interview so to be conservative roughly 10-15 of the 168 applicants will not be offered due to having a poor interview. That leaves us with about 155ish candidates that have passed their interview and Meharry might give offers to. ~77 will accept Meharry ‘s offer with 15 going MHS and 62 going DDS. Im sure these numbers may be WAY off but the admissions director told us that they DO NOT interview a lot of candidates for the dental school. Meharry does not interview large groups of candidates multiple times a week like other schools so if you get an interview that means that you have a decent shot!

Yeah I’m bored. Thoughts? lol

Last edited:
Yeah so I’m done with work for today and thought I’d play around with some numbers and probability. We know that Meharry started interviewing candidates in late September/early October. Assuming that Meharry interviews an average of 8 candidates every Friday from October to March 8th (with the exception of campus holiday breaks) would give us roughly 168 applicants that Meharry will interview. We were told that March 8th will be the last day they plan to interview but, will keep adding to the class right up to two weeks before MAPS. Most private institutions will offer acceptances that are double the size of the projected class size because roughly half of those accepted will choose their in-state public schools or other cheaper options. The class size for Meharry is 62 this year. We also know that some will bomb their interview so to be conservative roughly 10-15 of the 168 applicants will not be offered due to having a poor interview. That leaves us with about 155ish candidates that have passed their interview and Meharry might give offers to. ~77 will accept Meharry ‘s offer with 15 going MHS and 62 going DDS. Im sure these numbers may be WAY off but the admissions director told us that they DO NOT interview a lot of candidates for the dental school. Meharry does not interview large groups of candidates multiple times a week like other schools so if you get an interview that means that you have a decent shot!

Yeah I’m bored. Thoughts? lol

Yeah boy you had time today!!! Only thing I would say is don’t forget about the current MHS students that are there now. If they get their grades then they will have a seat in this 2023 class.

I’m wishing us all the best. If you (all of us) don’t get an interview or don’t get accepted please don’t let it deter you. Relentlessly persue your dreams.

Members don't see this ad :)
A Facebook page was made for our class. If you have already accepted your acceptance please search: Meharry SOD 2023

My status changed to “Waitlisted” I have no clue what that means. Or if I’m going to get accepted or have a chance. The wait is so agonizing.

Decisions from Interview on 01/11 are IN! ACCEPTED!

Reactions: 6 users
Updated my transcript to ADEA for Fall 2018 semester. It now says, "Received/Application Complete". Huh? lol'

Im guessing 1/18 decisions are coming next week...

Does anybody know the average time it takes for the people waitlisted to be accepted? Im guessing they wait abt a month and see if anyone is not accepting their offers and give the spots for the waitlisted people.

I will not be accepting my seat here for the class of 2023. Hopefully it goes to another much deserving candidate, and I wish you all the best in your journey to becoming dentists! NEVER GIVE UP! God bless you all.

Reactions: 5 users
Are they still giving out interviews for this cycle?? Also, has anyone received an interview invite this month?

I don’t believe that the class is full because interviews extend until March 8th.

People have been messaging me about my interview experience at Meharry so I thought I should go in greater detail here so that I don't have to keep copy and pasting. lol
My stats:
GPA = Less than 3.2 (science and overall)
DAT = less than 19
Obviously black, male nontraditional - change of careers
Good statement of purpose

Pre- Interview
As mentioned in earlier posts I received an interview invite on 1/8 @ 5:32PM. In the email they offered me five interview dates. The available options started on 1/18 and went to 2/15. So basically every Friday until today. I picked the very first one that was offered which was 1/18. After you accept the invitation they will send out an email regarding travel and what to wear as well as lodging arrangements. Apparently Meharry has a partnership with one of the hotels near the campus. My hotel was literally less than two miles from campus.

Interview Day
I spent the previous day driving around campus so I could know where to park and how long it would take walk to the dental school building. There was free visitor parking on campus but I found it to be a little far so I paid the extra money for a closer parking spot on campus. The first thing you will do is go the lobby in the dental school building on the first floor. At that time you will meet with other dental school hopefuls. Once everyone arrives in the lobby the admissions manager will take you up an elevator to the classroom/auditorium. First you will get a brief welcome by the admissions committee director (Ms Thompson) and the admissions manager. After that they will call you to take you to the various faculty members that will interview you. I meet with two faculty members. It appeared as if one was open file and the other was not. The first was more laid back the second was more professional, each lasting like 15 minutes. Know your application well! The week I was there they had the MLK program so we all met back up into the auditorium after our interviews and headed to the LRC for the program. After the program we were connected with three current school students and given a tour. We later had lunch with them and then dismissed.

Post Interview
Overall a great experience I just wish I had an acceptance by now! lol There is still time but I think the admissions manager said that the last day for interviews was for 3/8 but I could have misheard. Judging by lasts years they interview into early April.

So the class is nowhere near filled and won’t be until about April. A friend of mine had an interview yesterday and received this information. Supposedly they wait this long for a reason. I’m not sure about the reason

So the class is nowhere near filled and won’t be until about April. A friend of mine had an interview yesterday and received this information. Supposedly they wait this long for a reason. I’m not sure about the reason

Interesting. How did your friend get this information? The admissions manager was extremely tight lipped about admissions procedures during the informal Q&A. We asked him a lot of questions including how full the class was and he kept saying, "We cannot disclose that information". We kept trying to squeeze information out of him but he wouldn't budge. The only thing that I know that he said was that there were around 3600 applications this year for SOD and that they do not interview a lot of people for the SOD.

Just asked him if it was full and he said no where near and it goes until about April. There wasn’t any pushback.

Whats going on guys, new to the group but Im excited to be classmates with yall. I got my acceptance late december and am very excited to start the journey. There is a fb group as well for meharry class of 2023. But I remember those stressors im reading in your posts lol. Hopefully I can be a source if yall have any other questions

Got in today! Got the email around 12! Good Luck to everyone!

Reactions: 5 users
My status went from "invite to interview or interview invite(can't remember the exact words)" back to " received/application complete" , no email yet. Nerve wrecking

Im just saying this so that everyone knows to take info on here with a grain of salt because not everyone on here is credible. I know for a fact that someone who has posted on here recently is trolling. You know who you are please leave...

Im just saying this so that everyone knows to take info on here with a grain of salt because not everyone on here is credible. I know for a fact that someone who has posted on here recently is trolling. You know who you are please leave...
I feel as if you're speaking to me because you became very passive with your reply to me. You're upset because you don't know everything and hate for someone else to know about certain information before you do. You don’t control anything around here. Your misplaced anger is not needed. So how about you leave , sir?

Hey! I was just accepted yesterday as well. I interviewed on Friday, February 15th and they did say that the class is not full yet and that they will most likely continue interviewing up until April. Wishing everyone the best of luck!

Reactions: 6 users
Hey! I was just accepted yesterday as well. I interviewed on Friday, February 15th and they did say that the class is not full yet and that they will most likely continue interviewing up until April. Wishing everyone the best of luck!
Do you mind sharing your interview experience?

When did you apply if you don’t mind me asking?

That is true I have an interview March 22

Do you mind sharing your interview experience?

My interview experience was very similar to BlackTexasDoc's comment above, but I received an interview invite via email on February 7th. At that time there were only two dates for me to select from either on Friday, February 15th (the one I chose) or Friday, March 8th. On the day of the interview, we arrived in the lobby of the dental school at 8:00 am and spoke with other interviewees until it someone from admissions came and got us. They did a brief overview of the day etc. In terms of the interview, you have 2 one-on-one interviews. I believe that they were both open file because they referenced my application once, but they were really relaxed. I didn't get "grilled" or anything like that. I really enjoyed my experience interviewing there & everyone was extremely nice. The facilities were nice as well! If you have any other questions feel free to DM on here. I know how it feels lol.

My interview experience was very similar to BlackTexasDoc's comment above, but I received an interview invite via email on February 7th. At that time there were only two dates for me to select from either on Friday, February 15th (the one I chose) or Friday, March 8th. On the day of the interview, we arrived in the lobby of the dental school at 8:00 am and spoke with other interviewees until it someone from admissions came and got us. They did a brief overview of the day etc. In terms of the interview, you have 2 one-on-one interviews. I believe that they were both open file because they referenced my application once, but they were really relaxed. I didn't get "grilled" or anything like that. I really enjoyed my experience interviewing there & everyone was extremely nice. The facilities were nice as well! If you have any other questions feel free to DM on here. I know how it feels lol.
Won’t let me message you but just wanted to know your stats so I can keep hope alive

Won’t let me message you but just wanted to know your stats so I can keep hope alive

I think I enabled messaging so you should be able to now if you want to, but I have a 3.5 overall, 3.3 science and 18AA

Does anyone know if they have started sending out rejection letters yet?

I feel as if you're speaking to me because you became very passive with your reply to me. You're upset because you don't know everything and hate for someone else to know about certain information before you do. You don’t control anything around here. Your misplaced anger is not needed. So how about you leave , sir?

Calm down ma'am. It wasn't directed towards you. Why are you so offended though?! lol. I've noticed trolls on multiple threads that I follow and can easily spot them out. Again, this wasn't directed towards you. Im trying to find out why you decided to respond so bitterly towards my general warning. Oh well. Im wishing you the best. God bless!

Last edited:
Calm down ma'am. It wasn't directed towards you. Why are you so offended though?! lol. I've noticed trolls on multiple threads that I follow and can easily spot them out. Again, this wasn't directed towards you. Im trying to find out why you decided to respond so bitterly towards my general warning. Oh well. Im wishing you the best. God bless!
Cool, if that’s the story you want to tell now that I’ve responded. Really doesn’t matter to me but don’t be passive aggressive then become shocked when you get a response.

I know you want a fight but I refuse to give it to you, God bless.
I don’t, it was clear who you were referring to. I just responded to you and you didn’t get the response you were looking for. I’m not here for this so I’m done.

Status
Not open for further replies.