*** The Official Meharry College of Dentistry Class of 2024 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Do you mind sharing details about the school mission and history. I did read a lot on their website and I know they value community service and serving underserved communities specifically, anything more that is good to know. I don't have an interview yet but just planning ahead and hoping for the best. Meharry is my top choice!

When I say the know the history, I'm referencing the Salt Wagon Clinic. Below is the link:

Just read over the mission and try to remember the general idea. Below is the link:

I hope you get an interview!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
i sent them a letter of interest a a few days ago so at least I didn't get a rejection
Hey I got the same email.. does anyone know if this is a good sign or the likeliness of moving to the next step from this point? When I applied last year I heard nothing until end of May which was a denial. TIA

Hey I got the same email.. does anyone know if this is a good sign or the likeliness of moving to the next step from this point? When I applied last year I heard nothing until end of May which was a denial. TIA

Also wondering if anyone knows anything about this? Wonder if anyone who got accepted ever got this email prior to their acceptance...

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I also got the email that said continuing to review file and would like to know the same thing...

Also wondering if anyone knows anything about this? Wonder if anyone who got accepted ever got this email prior to their acceptance...
Same here. I received same email I just hope that it’s a good sign.

Same here. I received same email I just hope that it’s a good sign.
I also got the same email and wanted to know if anyone else got this email before getting an interview?

Reactions: 1 user
Good evening all,

I’ve been getting questions regarding what to expect for school and how to prepare so I decided to post about.

1. What should you do beforehand to prepare for dental school?
Relax and take a vacation. At Meharry we start school in June for MAPS while other schools start in August. MAPS is a 6 week program that includes: Dental anatomy and occlusion, microbiology, anatomy, biochemistry and embryology. At the end you will take a comprehensive final exam but it does not count towards a real grade. About half of the class failed the MAPS final exam including yours truly. Don’t freak out about it! Lol 1st semester of 1st year is the longest and arguably hardest semester of all four years of dental school.

2. What should I purchase?
Do yourself a favor and buy an apple iPad Pro and apple pen. It’s the primary way we take notes and exchange notes amongst classmates. Almost everyone has a iPad Pro trust me it’s worth the money.

3. Be humble. Professors can’t stand know it alls. You are a 1st year therefore you know nothing. They will make sure you know that you are at the bottom of the pecking order.

4. Know that you will be hazed as you go “up the hill”. “Up the hill“ refers to all of the dental school classes. You are to never ever be late. Guys, don’t wear earrings and don’t wear ankle socks. Ladies don’t wear clothes that are too tight or revealing. This was a problem initially for our class.

5. You CANT go it alone. Form a strong study group, I learned this the hard way.

6. Stay on top of financial aid for housing. If you are admitted start working on it now!

7. Start a groupme for accepted students and stay social. You never know what goodies can come through there.

8. For anatomy do a ton of practice questions. Anatomy can have a steep learning curve.

9. Take advantage of your “big sib”. They will provide tons of valuable information

I’ll have more to post later but this is a good start. If there are anymore questions that aren’t personal please ask them in this public forum so that others may benefit. I’m only a first year but I hope I can help y’all make as smooth a transition as possible.

Reactions: 13 users
Soooo has anyone been accepted for c/o 2024 yet? Lol

Is anyone else interviewing this weekend? I would love to know someone there :) I'm sure I'll get to meeting people once I'm there though.

Does anyone know when the admissions office will send out anymore interview? What is the average GPA/DAT they look for to be accepted?

• Hmm
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know when the admissions office will send out anymore interview? What is the average GPA/DAT they look for to be accepted?
I'm not sure when they will send out more interviews, but when I interviewed this weekend they said that they are not even close to filling their class. We were only the first interview group of 2020 so it seems that there are still a good amount left to go. For their DAT I know the minimum AA they are looking for is a 17/18 and I assume like most schools they are looking for at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA, but there are plenty of people with interviews who are way above or even a bit below that mark. Meharry really likes to look at your application holistically from what I know. While their acceptance averages may be lower than other dental schools they are doing something right because their national boards first time pass rate is between 94-95%. I had a great time on interview day so I wish all of you luck in getting there!

Reactions: 6 users
Also for anyone with upcoming interviews the admissions staff told us that they meet every week and that best case scenario we will know of an acceptance within a week but that we will most likely hear back in about 2-4 weeks.

Just received an invite omg brb crying

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Just received an interview invite. I will be declining since I have already committed to a school already. Good luck to everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
I received an interview invite at 2:00 pm EST :)

• Love
Did you write a letter of interest if you do not mind me asking?
No I didn't. I called every other week at the beginning of the application cycle because I was afraid they'll reject me. The last time I called I was told that they are taking their time so be patient. I was sent an email on 12/19 stating that they will no longer be accepting LOI after that and my application was still under review.

I’ll be there 1/31 can’t wait to meet some of you guys!

Congrats to everyone who received interview invites today! I hope it works out for all of us

Yes. 18AA 18TS
Would you mind sharing your stats? I really want to go to meharry but I havent heard back.
I have the same stats as you and havent gotten one single interview...

Would you mind sharing your stats? I really want to go to meharry but I havent heard back.
Sure, I’ll pm you!

hey guys i have an interview here? what did you like about meharry!
What I liked the most during my interview day was how much service Meharry does! It was incredible how much they do to give back. I also loved the family aspect of the students. Everyone knew each other and was willing to help someone out.

What I liked the most during my interview day was how much service Meharry does! It was incredible how much they do to give back. I also loved the family aspect of the students. Everyone knew each other and was willing to help someone out.
During the interview, were you asked if you knew the history of Meharry Medical College or the Saltwagon story?

During the interview, were you asked if you knew the history of Meharry Medical College or the Saltwagon story?
They talked about it before we even did the interviews, and I wasn’t asked about it directly but the topic did come up during the interview in conversation about another question.

hey guys i have an interview here? what did you like about meharry!
Seemed like everyone was close, focus on community service, and the fact that they try to help you as much as possible which is seen in the percent of people that pass their boards and match for residencies.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm still waiting to find out about my status. The wait is killing me, but I understand that they have so much to do and a lot of decisions to make. I LOVED Meharry on my interview day so I'm keeping my fingers crossed and praying. Sending positive vibes to everyone waiting to hear about a decision or waiting for an interview.

Keep your head up and keep working! This is my second year applying, my first year applying to Meharry. The first time I applied I honestly did not have good enough stats and had no idea what I was doing application wise. My masters and a lot of learning about the application cycle has helped. I've had two interviews so far, and just got offered another interview for next month. Some schools send out spring interview invites, including Meharry, so do not worry yet!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know if they're sending out anymore interview invites?