***The Official NYU College of Dentistry C/O 2024 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Current D1 at NYU, just finished the Summer "semester" a week ago. Started Bench lab this past week and soon Anatomy lab this upcoming week.

Weird coming here when it felt like yesterday when I was in your shoes. Time flies my friends. My best advice while you wait for interviews, or go on interviews and then wait to start school - stay active. Get a job, do something to keep your mind off of things. This is a very stressful time and you will only do more harm to yourself if you sit around refreshing your email or SDN waiting to hear something about anything.

Can't do much seeing how I've only been here for a little over 2 months but if anyone has questions, I'll try to reply as soon as I can.

Probably not. But definitely sooner the better. I applied in July of last year and received most of my interviews in August. I didn't hear from NYU until late November. Chose to interview after Dec 1 and heard back a few days later with an acceptance.
What made you decide to go with NYU?

Members don't see this ad.

What made you decide to go with NYU?

Probably the 2 biggest things are the large patient pool and the similar CoA if I was to attend another school (they are all out of state or upstate NY). When I interviewed at some other schools, often times current students would say that they either experienced struggling to find patients to fill certain requirements or knew of some people that had to go out and scavenge for patients. That didn't really sit well with me.

Not to mention being closer to home would allow me to take care of familial business without having to be hundreds of miles away in case anything happened and I had to rush home, potentially missing exams/practicals/etc/etc.

Not sure how it is in other schools, but make-up exams are no joke. You don't want to opt for a make-up exam.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys if I haven’t applied it, does it mean I’m too late? I’m scared honestly. I’m worried I won’t get an interview invite. My stats are low.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck everyone with interviews! Current D2 here let me know if you have any questions about the school and/or the interview!
Hey Swampis, how was your interview process like? Was it a 1 on 1 with faculty/current students in the traditional sense or something different? Congrats on finishing up D1, onto D2 btw!

Hey Swampis, how was your interview process like? Was it a 1 on 1 with faculty/current students in the traditional sense or something different? Congrats on finishing up D1, onto D2 btw!
Interview for me was one interview with one faculty member and the other interview was another one on one but with admissions coordinator. It was not stressful and they just want to get know you and if you would be a fit for the program. No tricky or random questions just the general ones you be expected to know (tell me about yourself, why do you want to become a dentist etc). And the interview was open file.

Last edited:
Interview for me was one interview with a with one faculty member and the other interview was another one on one but with admissions coordinator. It was not stressful and they just want to get know you and if you would be a fit for the program. No tricky or random questions just the general ones you be expected to know (tell me about yourself, why do you want to become a dentist etc). And the interview was open file.
Thanks! Great input

Does NYU update the AADSAS portal?

Nah they don't. My understanding is that they use their own portal to communicate with applicants. Someone correct me if they know otherwise

Reactions: 2 users
I sent my application ten days ago on the AADSAS portal. Does anyone know how long it will take to get the email to submit the supplemental application fee?

I sent my application ten days ago on the AADSAS portal. Does anyone know how long it will take to get the email to submit the supplemental application fee?
Hey, it took mine roughly 1 week I wanna say, I submitted in early July but got verified July 19th (due to my committee letter), and they sent it about a week or so later afterward and then received an invite on 9/5/19

Hey, it took mine roughly 1 week I wanna say, I submitted in early July but got verified July 19th (due to my committee letter), and they sent it about a week or so later afterward and then received an invite on 9/5/19
Ohh Congratulations! My application got verified about three weeks ago but I held off on submitting my NYU application till two weeks ago because I was working on my essay. Do they only send the secondary application if they like your stats?

Ohh Congratulations! My application got verified about three weeks ago but I held off on submitting my NYU application till two weeks ago because I was working on my essay. Do they only send the secondary application if they like your stats?
Nope, they typically send it to everyone that applies. Keep in mind, the essay on ADEA AADSAS is the "secondary" application, and when they give you a link to their online portal, that is where you pay the supplement fee ($80), and most of their updates are on that portal (NOT ADEA's website). Just for your reference!

Does everyone who applies to NYU get an interview invite?

Members don't see this ad :)
Saw what I believe is the first round of interviews yesterday as I was heading to Anatomy lab. Best of luck to all of you. You're all capable, dedicated individuals that will do well wherever you decide to attend :)

They do not. They have their own portal where they request information, update your status.

Reactions: 7 users
Hey everyone, as an NYU student I feel the need to chime in about my experience here. NYUCD has gone through changes in leadership in the last year and, sadly, it's not for the better. There increasingly is an "us vs them" atmosphere between students and the administration. There is very little support or respect for students by elements of the administration, and from what I've heard, several D4s who have gone for interviews for residency programs are discovering that one of the deans has been writing negative things about them in the evaluation letter that are unprofessional and unrelated to the students' ethical or professional behavior. On the plus side, many of the faculty are great teachers and care about students. In addition, we get to do a lot of work in the clinic and you will be prepared to practice after you graduate.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 10 users
@current dental students... any advice or helpful tips for having a successful interview at NYUCD? What are some of the best ways to prepare? I have heard conflicting opinions on interview preparation. Some people suggest the "being yourself" approach to avoid sounding rehearsed, while others advocate for completing as many mock interviews as possible. Curious to hear the thoughts of the veterans. Btw, on behalf of all of the participants in this thread, I want to thank you dental students for giving us your expert support throughout this process. We appreciate it.

Reactions: 4 users
To everyone that got an interview invite, approximately how long after submitting your secondary payment did you get the invite?

Interview #3
School: NYU
Notification date: 10/08
Method of notification: Email
Residency: TX
Application complete date: August 25th
GPA (science, overall): 3.39, 3.52
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 23/23/18/20/None

I'm international + stats are in my signature

Lol do you know at NYU, we have a dr.Strange
he teaches us in the bench lab. So maybe this is a sign lol.
He is also an international.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
has anyone interviewed this cycle? what are the interviews like?

:luck::luck:
Hoping this is a good sign... :D:D

Hopefully,
Just be nice, friendly at your interview, to the other interviewees and also to the people during the tour.
Look professional and and kinda outgoing.
Answer their questions honestly and show your interest in NYU and have the reasons why you are interested.
and with your stats, I can see there is a good chance that you'll get accepted not only to NYU but to other schools as well.
Best of luck.
:luck: touch this, it has been known to bring luck :)

Does NYU email the interviewers email to you after the interview?

No, just reach out to the NYU admission email for their information, or if they don't have one (or you can't find), ask them to forward you message to them

No, just reach out to the NYU admission email for their information, or if they don't have one (or you can't find), ask them to forward you message to them

Sounds good, thanks! I asked my interviewer for his email but he said the school will email it to me so I just wanted to double check

Reactions: 1 users
Sounds good, thanks! I asked my interviewer for his email but he said the school will email it to me so I just wanted to double check
Yeah for me, they only gave me the names but not their contact info (which was odd), so they told me to just send them whatever message i wished to send to that person

Yeah for me, they only gave me the names but not their contact info (which was odd), so they told me to just send them whatever message i wished to send to that person
Yeah! You're right! They only gave us names. I found their emails on NYU website

Yep, it took them ~2 days for them to email the names of my interviewers. When I asked for their contact information, the admissions told me they preferred if I sent it to them and that they will forward my email to my interviewers.

Does anyone know if NYU is done giving out pre-December interviews?

Hi. Does anyone know if their interview is open-filed or closed-filed?

1) dress professionally/arrive early
2) review prior interview questions for NYU
3) go over your application again (esp. research/volunteering/shadowing/work experience .. )

enjoy! the interview at NYU was a great experience

Definitely arrive early. I arrived a couple of minutes late (~8:03) and a bunch of kids were already in their interview. Thankfully, my interviewer also arrived a bit late...

Does anyone have an itinerary? It seems like interviews start right at 8AM??

This is for everyone who has had hardships in their undergrad not because they didn’t have any potential, but because of bad home situations.

Interview #1
School: NYU
Notification date: 10/25
Method of notification: Email
Residency: NYC
Application complete date: 10/16/2019
GPA (science, overall): 2.9, 3.2, no masters.
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 23/22/30/23/none

Im really happy to get this interview because I had a lot of problems in my undergrad and took 6-7 years to graduate with a crappy GPA. After I graduated I spent around 2 years working at a dental office and studied hard for the DAT because I knew I had to do well.

I had decent extracurriculars but my GPA was terrible for dental school so I had to make up other areas of the app just to have a chance. I personally don’t think my application was even good but my PS and supplemental essay, I poured my heart on it and spent a lot of money to get it professionally reviewed. I also thank everyone on SDN who read it and gave feedback. I managed to get a recommendation from my hospitals dental director, maybe that plays a factor too.

Not to mention, I submitted my application so late into the cycle and was not expecting an interview from anywhere until like March, let alone a pre-Dec interview! All in all, I am grateful to NYU for giving me a chance.

If you work hard, someone somewhere will take notice.
Congrats!

Will they send more interviews to oos students after december? Im starting to get very anxious..

Will they send more interviews to oos students after december? Im starting to get very anxious..
Yes, even to OOS, just remember that people with multiple acceptances can hold attend 1 school, so once those seats are forfeited they'll continue interviewing until late March or something like that. Just keep your head high! You'll get invites, be confident in your application as the hard part is over, it's the waiting game now

Reactions: 2 users