***The Official NYU College of Dentistry C/O 2024 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Dec 8, 2018
Will they send more interviews to oos students after december? Im starting to get very anxious..
Yes, even to OOS, just remember that people with multiple acceptances can hold attend 1 school, so once those seats are forfeited they'll continue interviewing until late March or something like that. Just keep your head high! You'll get invites, be confident in your application as the hard part is over, it's the waiting game now

About the Ads

jjh002

Traveler
Dec 6, 2018
Status
Pre-Dental
Yes, even to OOS, just remember that people with multiple acceptances can hold attend 1 school, so once those seats are forfeited they'll continue interviewing until late March or something like that. Just keep your head high! You'll get invites, be confident in your application as the hard part is over, it's the waiting game now
Thank you!

Punt me

Hiya!
2+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2017
Status
Dental Student
I think we have about 385 this year, if not close to 400.

Including ~25 repeating D1s from last year.

• Wow
Reactions: MyNameChef
May 7, 2019
Status
Pre-Dental
Hello everyone,

For the students that have already interviewed or are in NYUCD, which interview has more weight? The one with the professor, or the "chat" with the admissions officer? I will do my best for both, but I'm just curious if anyone knows.

OP
lifeofpaula
Aug 25, 2018
Status
Pre-Dental
Hello everyone,

For the students that have already interviewed or are in NYUCD, which interview has more weight? The one with the professor, or the "chat" with the admissions officer? I will do my best for both, but I'm just curious if anyone knows.
the one with the professor was more of a formal interview with the standard interview questions and more centered towards your application. The one with the admissions team seemed like they were just gathering stats and info on applicants. No way to know which one carries more weight. Also, get there early! They start at 8 on the dot!

Reactions: JackMasterOfAll
May 7, 2019
Status
Pre-Dental
Thank you,

In the previous threads, everyone is making it sound like everyone who receives an interview will get waitlisted but never outright rejected. Can anyone chime in?

ie6399

2+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2017
Status
Pre-Dental
Anyone have any tips for the interview? I have mine Thursday! Thanks!
1. Be there five minutes early
2. Know your application and your motivations well
3. Just be yourself, interviewers are just trying to meet and understand you... (not an interrogation)

Jul 10, 2019
Status
Pre-Dental
I applied in early September as an international student but had not yet received an interview from NYU. Do you think I still have a chance after December 1st?

AA22 TS21
sgpa 3.5 overall 3.7

Punt me

Hiya!
2+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2017
Status
Dental Student
I applied in early September as an international student but had not yet received an interview from NYU. Do you think I still have a chance after December 1st?

AA22 TS21
sgpa 3.5 overall 3.7
PLEEEEEENNNNTTTYYY of people get interviews after Dec at NYU. With those stats, and with no significant faulty issue, you should get an interview. Hell, people who applied in Jan got in.

Applying in Sept was pretty late for pre-Dec interviews, though.

About the Ads
May 7, 2019
Status
Pre-Dental
I have my interview coming up and I have my answers prepared. However, if I encounter the "Why NYU" question, which is the same question as the supplemental essay that required 5000 characters, can I summarize my essay or should I give more reasons or even different reasons?

My reasoning is that the interviewing professor might have read the supplemental essay and if I give the same answers, that might be a negative thing?

Edit:

Just had my interview. Since no one knew the answer to my question, I'll go ahead and chime in with my experience.

I was right, and it was a bad thing that I gave the same answers. They were looking for honest answers, not what sounds good on paper, and not what's on your app. So you better make it extremely believable.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2019
Status
Pre-Dental
I just got accepted too. Does anyone know when we should expect to hear about scholarships?

About the Ads
Jan 28, 2019
Status
Pre-Dental
Are we supposed to make a deposit of full amount $5,000 by Jan 3rd? I’m still waiting to hear back from my state school and nonrefundable $5,000 is no joke

About the Ads
Apr 19, 2019
Status
Pre-Dental
Are we supposed to make a deposit of full amount $5,000 by Jan 3rd? I’m still waiting to hear back from my state school and nonrefundable $5,000 is no joke
It says you can pay $1500 first and pay $3500 by March something.. I forgot. It explains it in detail when you decide to accept the offer.

Jun 1, 2019
Yeah no worries
3.3 oGPA/sGPA
AA 21, TS 20, 22 PAT
Congratulations on your acceptance :giggle: I have similar stats, but my application is still under review. Do you mind telling me when was your application at NYU completed, like when did you submit the application fees? And if you have any advice for the interview, though I didn't get an invite yet, I would really appreciate it.

One last question, do you think being invited for a post-dec interview further lessen my chances of acceptance at NYU? I realize that my stats aren't competitive, but your acceptance just gave me some hope. Congrats again, and thanks in advance!!

Reactions: DENTAL1177
Dec 8, 2018
Congratulations on your acceptance :giggle: I have similar stats, but my application is still under review. Do you mind telling me when was your application at NYU completed, like when did you submit the application fees? And if you have any advice for the interview, though I didn't get an invite yet, I would really appreciate it.

One last question, do you think being invited for a post-dec interview further lessen my chances of acceptance at NYU? I realize that my stats aren't competitive, but your acceptance just gave me some hope. Congrats again, and thanks in advance!!
Yeah of course, happy to help wherever I can
I had a rough start at the beginning of college (family-medical emergency) the first 2 semesters of college, but then i managed to pick up the slack and essentially pulled 3.6+ the following semesters. I went off on a limb and decided not to do any postbacc and masters and go straight for it. I submitted moderately early-ish (Early July) and my committee packet came in Mid-July. My application was completed and accepted by NYU by early August and I got the email to interview early September. I scheduled my Interview for mid-October (I think the interview went really well bc my interviewer related to my personal statement and experiences with himself) so that relatable quality definitely helped.
I think the main things that help bolster my application were my EC's. I was fortunate enough to be published in 2 research articles (one of which i was first-authored) and have 2 more under review (great conversation piece for my interview), as well as the dental internships I was involved in (both NYC hospitals) with recommendations, and then I was also scribed at Cornell Medicine was able to build close relationships with the doctors there (who also provided recommendation for me). I also TA'ed for organic chem lab (also got a rec from the head of Organic chemistry of my school and the senior faculty lab instructor), with also some extra volunteering experience outside of academia. Not saying you have to do all these things, but I think the point is taken greatly, where you want to show that upward trend (in terms of GPA) but more importantly show your drive.
So for my DATs, they were all pretty much 22+ besides Bio (18) and QR (20) which dampened my overall and TS. I think my relatively good scores on the DAT compensated for a select few of my science courses I didn't do so well during that time of rough transition.
As for the post-December interview, I think your chances are pretty fair-game! NYU's interview was pretty laid back and conversation, therefore I really think you have a solid chance. Once you do get that invite, the playing field is even, so make sure you mention why you want to drive the point home than for your decision on why dentistry and also why them. I was never the smartest guy of the room but I would work 2x as hard as others around me and I think that reflected well on my application! Feel free to pm me if you have further questions and I hope you do hear them soon enough!

Last edited:
Reactions: giannis
Apr 29, 2019
Status
Pre-Dental
I had a rough start at the beginning of college (family-medical emergency) the first 2 semesters of college, but then i managed to pick up the slack and essentially pulled 3.6+ the following semesters. I went off on a limb and decided not to do any postbacc and masters and go straight for it. I submitted moderately early-ish (Early July) and my committee packet came in Mid-July. My application was completed and accepted by NYU by early August and I got the email to interview early September. I scheduled my Interview for mid-October (I think the interview went really well bc my interviewer related to my personal statement and experiences with himself) so that relatable quality definitely helped.
I think the main things that help bolster my application were my EC's. I was fortunate enough to be published in 2 research articles (one of which i was first-authored) and have 2 more under review (great conversation piece for my interview), as well as the dental internships I was involved in (both NYC hospitals) with recommendations, and then I was also scribed at Cornell Medicine was able to build close relationships with the doctors there (who also provided recommendation for me). I also TA'ed for organic chem lab (also got a rec from the head of Organic chemistry of my school and the senior faculty lab instructor), with also some extra volunteering experience outside of academia. Not saying you have to do all these things, but I think the point is taken greatly, where you want to show that upward trend (in terms of GPA) but more importantly show your drive.
So for my DATs, they were all pretty much 22+ besides Bio (18) and QR (20) which dampened my overall and TS. I think my relatively good scores on the DAT compensated for a select few of my science courses I didn't do so well during that time of rough transition.
As for the post-December interview, I think your chances are pretty fair-game! NYU's interview was pretty laid back and conversation, therefore I really think you have a solid chance. Once you do get that invite, the playing field is even, so make sure you mention why you want to drive the point home than for your decision on why dentistry and also why them. I was never the smartest guy of the room but I would work 2x as hard as others around me and I think that reflected well on my application! Feel free to pm me if you have further questions and I hope you do hear them soon enough!
Congrats! well deserved

Jun 1, 2019
You really deserved that acceptance! Thank you so much for your help though !!

Punt me

Hiya!
2+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2017
Status
Dental Student
@ joshamin98

This is NOT strange at all. NYUCD adcoms probably think he will go somewhere else with stats like those
it's often based on %yield (= number of students accepted/number of students matriculating), falling in the category of yield protection
It doesn't make sense for a school to deny the interview solely due to high GPA and DAT scores. With a few points:

1. If that was true, the school should not have students with great GPA and DAT scores attending. There are plenty.

2. What if the student really wants to go to NYU? The student has obviously shown the interest in school by applying. It doesn't make sense for the school to assume that he wouldn't attend.

Reactions: Katyaf
Dec 14, 2017
Status
Dental Student
It doesn't make sense for a school to deny the interview solely due to high GPA and DAT scores. With a few points:

1. If that was true, the school should not have students with great GPA and DAT scores attending. There are plenty.

2. What if the student really wants to go to NYU? The student has obviously shown the interest in school by applying. It doesn't make sense for the school to assume that he wouldn't attend.
a few points --

Being waitlisted isn't the same as being rejected

Regarding your 2nd point:
I wouldn't say that applying to a dental school automatically shows interest ..

Yes, it could be that he interviewed poorly, but I didn't factor that in because @Invisibility thought he interviewed well
Maybe @Invisibility is an international student? There are more factors than just GPA and DAT ..

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2018
a few points --

Yes, it could be that he interviewed poorly, but I didn't factor that in because @Invisibility thought he interviewed well
Maybe @Invisibility is an international student? There are more factors than just GPA and DAT ..

Nah I'm not international. I did think my interview went well, it was quite conversational and I've had much worse interview experiences. Maybe they did choose to waitlist me because of yield protection; perhaps they didn't think I would choose NYU over my state school, which happens to be where I go to undergrad and am involved in their dental school. It's all good though, I was offered admission to my state school and am not trying to analyze NYU's decision too closely. Best of luck to all applying to NYU!

Reactions: valc
Sep 4, 2019
Status
Pre-Dental
a few points --

I heard from an admission officer at another dental school that each school chooses students based on different factors
1. Gender: Schools try to balance the genders
2. Pool of patients: If at that school a certain race makes up most of the pool of patient, the school would choose more students from that race
3. GPA/DAT score: Schools would try to bring up their score average
There are some other factors but I can only remember these 3.

Reactions: Marcos0789
Dec 14, 2017
Status
Dental Student
Nah I'm not international. I did think my interview went well, it was quite conversational and I've had much worse interview experiences. Maybe they did choose to waitlist me because of yield protection; perhaps they didn't think I would choose NYU over my state school, which happens to be where I go to undergrad and am involved in their dental school. It's all good though, I was offered admission to my state school and am not trying to analyze NYU's decision too closely. Best of luck to all applying to NYU!
Congratulations on your acceptance to your state school! Though, if NYU is your #1 school, I would highly suggest you reach out to them.
If you need help with drafting a letter of intent, feel free to message me.

many schools don't post their yield, but I found the stats for Columbia: Statistics

Reactions: Invisibility

DENTAL1177

2+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2017
Status
Pre-Dental
Congratulations on your acceptance to your state school! Though, if NYU is your #1 school, I would highly suggest you reach out to them.
If you need help with drafting a letter of intent, feel free to message me.

many schools don't post their yield, but I found the stats for Columbia: Statistics
What are the guidelines for sending a letter of intent? Is it something waitlisted applicants should absolutely be doing? I assumed admissions committees wouldn't want us to bother them during the application process, but I could see a benefit in reminding them that you're still interested in their program

About the Ads