****The Official Ohio State Class of 2018 Interview/Acceptance Thread****

Congrats! Just wondering, did your application say under review on AADSAS? Mine was never updated from application complete so I don't know if this mean that I'm not being considered right now or if they just don't update it.

No, mine just said "application complete."

Members don't see this ad.

I thought I read somewhere that the first two rounds of interviews at Ohio State is more out of state focused and the third is in-state? Or am I just making stuff up?

Got a call this morning. Oct. 5th interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought I read somewhere that the first two rounds of interviews at Ohio State is more out of state focused and the third is in-state? Or am I just making stuff up?

No clue on that one, I hope not because I'm out of state and haven't gotten a call yet.

I've seen people from both in-state and OOS get interviews so far. I don't know how far the percentage works in either direction (for interviews). It would make sense if most of the interviewees were in-state though, since they prefer in-state candidates. I hope you're right though - I can't help feeling a little bit dismayed at this point in time as an in-state applicant with only one interview invite left. Hope I didn't mess up something important on my application.

On a positive note, congratulations to Goodluckdoc, Kohawk1, and the other person that posted in the Interviews/Acceptances thread today. Please post here if you get an invite!

Last edited:

When I called he mentioned something along the lines of not as many OOS interviews going out during the last round...

CleverThought, this is the best answer I can give you. It seems possible that you can submit your AADSAS and do the supplemental still if you're OOS, but it is unlikely that you'll be considered this late in the process. I'd say do it anyways, just in case, but don't expect a miracle.

This is the link to their website: http://www.dent.osu.edu/admission/prospective/calendar.php .

It says: September 1--Deadline for out-of-state applicants to submit their AADSAS Application to OSU

September 15 – Deadline for in-state applicants to submit their AADSAS Application to OSU

If you submit on or just before this date, it is very unlikely that your application will be reviewed prior to the last interview invitations being sent out. Do not procrastinate!

Hope to hear lots of feedback from people getting calls in the next 24 hours!

For anyone also in the same situation, I contacted the admissions office and asked them and they said I can still submit and be considered.

I received the supplemental today and will submit ASAP.

School: Ohio State
Notification date: 9/5
Method of notification: Phone/email (On road, call was dropped)
Residency: AZ
AADSAS mail-out date: 6/28
GPA (science, overall): 3.12, 3.26
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17):22,19,18,30, bio 16

Does anyone know how many interviews they have sent out so far? How is the experience and acceptance rate?

Notification date: 9/5
Method of notification: Phone/email (On road, call was dropped)
Residency: AZ
AADSAS mail-out date: 6/28
GPA (science, overall): 3.12, 3.26
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17):22,19,18,30, bio 16

Does anyone know how many interviews they have sent out so far? How is the experience and acceptance rate?

Their website is pretty nice, being that they tell lots of info about interviews: dent.osu.edu They recently reorganized it, so if you haven't been on it lately -- check it out!!

Here's a link to a pdf that has even more info: http://www.dent.osu.edu/admission/PDF/interviewprocess.pdf
Also helpful: http://www.dent.osu.edu/admission/prospective/calendar.php

They interview 72 people each time, three times total. Interviews are 9/14, 10/4 and 11/2. So they should have 144 invites sent out. They accept 75-85% in-state. They will accept 110 students for the class of 2018. So one out of every two interviewed candidates will get acceptance calls on December 2.

They said on their FB page that almost 1100 people have applied. So that's 10% acceptance of applications.

But of course, those 1100 have also applied to several other schools, and could potentially get in there - so the 10% isn't something to be thought of as universal, thank goodness!

Excited for my interview on Sept. 14!

3.9 / 19, 19, 23, 21, none
Ohio Resident. Go Bucks!!!

Their website is pretty nice, being that they tell lots of info about interviews: dent.osu.edu They recently reorganized it, so if you haven't been on it lately -- check it out!!

Here's a link to a pdf that has even more info: http://www.dent.osu.edu/admission/PDF/interviewprocess.pdf
Also helpful: http://www.dent.osu.edu/admission/prospective/calendar.php

They interview 72 people each time, three times total. Interviews are 9/14, 10/4 and 11/2. So they should have 144 invites sent out. They accept 75-85% in-state. They will accept 110 students for the class of 2018. So one out of every two interviewed candidates will get acceptance calls on December 2.

They said on their FB page that almost 1100 people have applied. So that's 10% acceptance of applications.

But of course, those 1100 have also applied to several other schools, and could potentially get in there - so the 10% isn't something to be thought of as universal, thank goodness!

Excited for my interview on Sept. 14!

3.9 / 19, 19, 23, 21, none
Ohio Resident. Go Bucks!!!
Thanks! If you don't mind, PM me how your interview goes. And as far as your stats you listed go, probably 80% of the first group invited to interview get accepted to at least one other school, so that helps chances a lot too, if they decide to go elsewhere. I'm excited!!!

Last edited:
Many of you already know that SDN is no longer (as if it ever was) a valid place for any type of information. I used to use this site to get an idea of what to expect or to get a feeling as to how competitive my scores were or what my chances of getting into dental school are. Well OSU for example gave out 36 invites for this round and only 3 people posted anything about an interview. That is only an 8.3% representation; this site represents a very very slim percentage of overall applicants and not too much stock should be put into any info you pull from this site.

Many of you already know that SDN is no longer (as if it ever was) a valid place for any type of information. I used to use this site to get an idea of what to expect or to get a feeling as to how competitive my scores were or what my chances of getting into dental school are. Well OSU for example gave out 36 invites for this round and only 3 people posted anything about an interview. That is only an 8.3% representation; this site represents a very very slim percentage of overall applicants and not too much stock should be put into any info you pull from this site.

actually 72 people so a little over 4%, proving my point even more!

Yeah, man. They send out three sets of 72. Look it up if you want. There's still one chance for you to get an interview though so keep your head up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pretty annoyed I haven't heard anything from OSU (I'm in-state) so far, when I have interviews at UDM and NYU. Oh well, still one more round to hope for.

Sorry I'm venting

Pretty annoyed I haven't heard anything from OSU (I'm in-state) so far, when I have interviews at UDM and NYU. Oh well, still one more round to hope for.

Sorry I'm venting

It's all good, there are others (myself included) in the same boat. Sometimes it can be nice to just let off some steam.

Do u gay think I have a good chance for atleast an interview?
My dat is
AA 19
Pat 19
QR 16
RC 19
BIO 20
GC 19
OC 23
TS 21

My gpa is 3.6, and 3.7 science

I'd say likely. Have you submitted already? Residency?

I submitted in July and did the essays in late August. I am a resident of Ilinois so...

I'd say timeline you're great. I feel like OSU is fairly OOS friendly too, so I'd feel pretty confident in saying your chances are good.

The only worrisome part is we know there is only one "call" left and only 73 more people will be getting that invite.

So there's only 73 spots for interviews left .... :(((

I believe so, at least as I understand it. Each round of invite offers they call 73 individuals. They have so far done 2 or their 3 calling rounds, meaning there are only 73 spots left.

Someone please correct me if I have misunderstood!

OSU Facebook:

Last year we interviewed 60 candidates at each interview event. This year we will interview 72! Invites for our last interview will go out Oct. 2.

The Office of Admissions is BUSY getting ready for our first interview this Saturday! We are so excited to welcome our first group of candidates! Now, back to work!!!!

Let us know how it goes, group one!

Those who got interviews. What do you think they are getting at with allowing us to bring guest with us? Is it more to just have them for the food and tour of the campus or to meet not only the applicant, but also the family they are possibly accepting.

Those who got interviews. What do you think they are getting at with allowing us to bring guest with us? Is it more to just have them for the food and tour of the campus or to meet not only the applicant, but also the family they are possibly accepting.

From what I've heard from D students here, the interview is really relaxed and more of a selling the school to you than anything else so I'd say OSU is just trying to give them a tour and show them a good time.

Hi All!

I am Alicia I am in state and I am interviewing this saturday! I cannot wait to meet all of those who are also going Saturday and I will post info about it when it is done! for those that didnt, DO NOT STRESS! the road is not always easy stay passionate and you all will be great!

Ohio state thrives on being family orientated, comfortable, and laid back. They understand that most of the time, dental school is a family/partners investment so they like to help everyone out with information :)

After the intervew, I would say OSU became one of my top choices. Very friendly, polite, and lots of State/School pride. Started off with breakfast / introduction. Guests were then separated for their own tour/info session. Interviewees were gathered at different lounge; group 1 went to the interview, group 2 to student panel, where D2~4 answered questions regarding school.
Interview is MMI format, so it really feels like speed dating. There were 6 stations, 7 interviewers total each table, 3 table per room. I can't remember the exact setting but those numbers should be somewhat correct. I won't post any specific questions. In fact, all three tables had different set of questions. B/c it was so crowded, I personally had hard time understanding/listening some of the interviewers. I felt you can't really prepare for MMI but just to be yourself, since it was so fast: 10 min each interview, 2 min break.
After we had lunch, we had a tour by several dental students. 1.5 hour tour so make sure you have extra shoes that are comfy. All the dental students left contact information to us. After the tour, we had additional student panel regarding financial aid, residency and more.

Overall, I had a great experience at OSU. I forgot to mention, the 1st interview had a lot of OOS students and I can't be 100% sure, but I heard that 3rd interview are mainly for Instate.

Thanks so much for the update LaughingGas, glad to hear it went well for you! Hope things went as smoothly for everyone else.

Here is the latest from their facebook page (not too much new info here):

First interview was a GREAT success! Thank you to all of the faculty, current dental students, and staff that helped to make the day so wonderful! Now back to our regularly scheduled routine of file reading!

We have over 200 completed applicant files to review and consider for our last interview. Those are in addition to the almost 200 files that have already been reviewed! Are you one of the 400+ files?

The deadline to submit your AADSAS application has already passed and the application is closed (you can no longer access it). However, if you submitted your AADSAS application before Sept. 15 you will still receive information on completing your supplemental application. Just keep in mind, we will make interview offers for our last interview on Oct. 2. If we do not have both your completed AADSAS and Supplemental applications by Sept. 23 there is a good chance your file will NOT get considered for the last interview.

Don't delay, submit today!

Hi All!

The interview was amazing! It was very relaxed but upbeat. There was so much positive energy, it was hard not to have a great time. When I say it was relaxed, I MEAN IT! I was sitting at the breakfast table talking to another applicant saying how the anticipation of the actual interview is a killer, and it is, but once the interview started, it was literally a breeze. Very conversational, their students and faculty that interviewed were awesome, down to earth, and not intimidating. Of the six people I interviewed with, five made a point to let me take a moment because they knew our nerves would be going crazy.. I know I am telling those of you who have interviews to relax it is easy, and I know 100% of you will be like, YEAH RIGHT! But honestly, it was so great and you will all do fine. I have no idea how they are going to choose who is in and out because it is so hard to do poorly, that is the environment they create for the interviewee! Good luck!:):):):):)

They just posted on their Facebook page that the third round of interview invites will be going out on October 2nd, and make sure to have a professional voicemail message if you are unable to take the call.

Good luck to everybody! I will be waiting by my phone that day!

Well guys, tomorrow is the big day for all who are still hoping for an interview (myself included). Make sure your phones are set up properly to give voicemail with your name, or just be waiting by the phone. Wishing you all the best of luck!

Well guys, tomorrow is the big day for all who are still hoping for an interview (myself included). Make sure your phones are set up properly to give voicemail with your name, or just be waiting by the phone. Wishing you all the best of luck!

Is this the instate only batch coming up?

Good luck everyone and thanks for keeping us updated!! This is sad, I am oos so not sure I'll get a call tomorrow =(

I'm an out of stater really hoping for a call. Hopefully I can be nice and distracted tomorrow to not have to worry about it!

Phone on? 24 minutes and the calls will begin! (12 mins ago)

Last edited:
Got invited for interview!!! Yes, November 2 ...oos =)

Calls are done.

Welp, time to go die in a hole.

Congrats as an OOSer. Can I ask what batch you were in?

For those getting phone calls, if you don't mind, what are your stats/last name initial? I'm curious if they are calling alphabetically - I'm towards the end and anxiously hoping for a phone call.

Thanks, I was batch #5...this is one of the best moments , I was in class when I saw caller id ohio, I run out of class for signal when returned to class everyone looked and applauded!! Awesome, I am very low stats but many years in dental field, so I think that was my ++++ my last name M if that helps

Thanks, I was batch #5...this is one of the best moments , I was in class when I saw caller id ohio, I run out of class for signal when returned to class everyone looked and applauded!! Awesome, I am very low stats but many years in dental field, so I think that was my ++++ my last name M if that helps

Congratulations! I got an invite as well, so excited - my first interview! Looking forward to seeing you all November 2nd!

:D:D:D:D

Edit: forgot to post my stats. Current date is Nov. 29th, and I'm having difficulty studying anything at all right now - so close to Dec. 2nd! Easier to just mess around here on SDN. Here's my stats for people hoping to get an invite next year:

Notification date: 10/02/2013
Method of notification: Phone call, email
Residency: Ohio
AADSAS mail-out date: 08/09/2013*

GPA (science, overall): 3.32, 3.54
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 20/20/21/20/none

* Initially, my AADSAS was mailed on 07/12. However, I retook the DAT (got 17 AA, 17 PAT on first DAT, probably wouldn't be considered with that) on 07/19 and my scores were officially received on 08/01. My application was re-mailed the following week.

To whom it may concern, George Dean in admissions (great guy!) also said that it is a good idea to fax in unofficial scores if there is a significant improvement so they know there's going to be a change in AADSAS. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Congratulations! I got an invite as well, so excited - my first interview! Looking forward to seeing you all November 2nd!

:D:D:D:D

Yesssss, so happy for you =) I was just thinking about you...congratulations

Hope the second set of interviews went well for everyone. Please let us know what you thought!

Did anyone get room at Blackwell hotel for November 1? All sold out and I wanted to stay there, so its easier!! Where are you guys staying? Please any advice will be appreciated I am trying to spend very little on hotel since my plane ticket costs me like $1200 :(..I will be in middle of outreach mission trip so will be coming from overseas!! Please let me know if anyone wants to share hotel or something..thank you, I am just going broke, broke lol

Last edited:
soydentista,

I would recommend Varsity Inn, University Plaza Hotel or the Hilton Garden Inn. They're pretty close to campus, though you would still have to take a cab in the morning. The Blackwell has a limited number of rooms, so unfortunately quite a few people aren't going to be able to stay there overnight.

I'm not sure if OSU does this, but perhaps you could call them and see if they provide student accommodation for those invited for interviews?

Did anyone get room at Blackwell hotel for November 1? All sold out and I wanted to stay there, so its easier!! Where are you guys staying? Please any advice will be appreciated I am trying to spend very little on hotel since my plane ticket costs me like $1200 :(..I will be in middle of outreach mission trip so will be coming from overseas!! Please let me know if anyone wants to share hotel or something..thank you, I am just going broke, broke lol
Try reaching out to the two dental fraternities, Psi Omega and Delta Sigma Delta. They both have houses near the campus. It's definitely worth a shot.

Thanks, I was able to get a room at the Blackwell hotel =) anyone else staying there? I will be checking in late frid..anyone is free after interview to venture columbus?