****The Official OHSU Class of 2022 Interview/Acceptance Thread****

Discussion in 'School Specific Discussions' started by acemason, Jul 12, 2017.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Dr. Cod

Dr. Cod

Oct 2, 2017
    I just received my interview, In-state
    Stats:
    4.00 GPA
    24 TS, 24 AA, 24 PAT

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Bwaddds

Bwaddds 2+ Year Member

Sep 7, 2015
    Received an interview invite via email at 7:02 PM CST. This is one of my dream schools!!! Still in shock :eek:

OOS
    3.89 GPA-o, 3.85 GPA-s
    24 AA, 24 TS, 21 PAT
    App submitted 7/1, verified 7/7

Best of luck to all you future dentists!

Virtuoso11, Badgers2 and ThirdMolarz like this.
  4. mvijns

mvijns

Jan 30, 2016
    Got an interview invite 5:02pm PST!
    In-state | 3.9x oGPA | 3.8x sGPA | 22 AA | 22 TS | 20 PAT

Virtuoso11 and ThirdMolarz like this.
  5. Endeross

Endeross 2+ Year Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Yes

Congrats to all of you. What days you gunna interview?

6. biochemandbass

biochemandbass

Oct 3, 2017
    Were the interview invites for the "highly competitive" group only sent out yesterday for pre-December interview opportunities? Last year, it looked as if all the interview invites were sent on October 5th, exactly one week following the release of the "highly competitive" email.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  7. Endeross

Endeross 2+ Year Member

Mar 3, 2015
    People that got the "highly competitive" email got interview invites all through the year. The people that get pre-december interviews generally had really good grades and DAT scores.

8. ThirdMolarz

ThirdMolarz

Apr 22, 2017
    as evidenced above

9. Krentist_72

Krentist_72

Feb 18, 2016
    FWIW to whoever's stressing/wondering/lurking, I received the highly competitive email but not an interview!

10. Avalerdentist

Avalerdentist

Jul 14, 2017
    Same!

11. Life of Pablo

Life of Pablo SDN Gold Donor Gold Donor

Feb 18, 2016
    OHSU accepted like 85% of the OOS applicants they interviewed last cycle. However, they only interviewed 85/1137 OOS applicants.

12. biochemandbass

biochemandbass

Oct 3, 2017
    I feel confident in interview chances, but I am from Iowa...so I feel slightly disadvantaged.
    oGPA: 3.86, sGPA: 3.83 DAT: 22 AA, 22 TS, 25 PAT.

13. biochemandbass

biochemandbass

Oct 3, 2017
    You received an email saying you won't receive an interview, or did this happen last year?

14. Krentist_72

Krentist_72

Feb 18, 2016
    Neither, just saying that I received the email saying I was highly competitive, but have (so far) not received an interview. So I'm throwing out there that this email seems like it was more sent automatically... it's not necessarily saying we're going to get an interview or that we're being considered at all. Or at least right off the bat.

15. Life of Pablo

Feb 18, 2016
    They do give preference to WICHE states that do not have dental schools (Alaska, Arizona, Idaho, Wyoming, North & South Dakota, and New Mexico).

16. careerchanger09

careerchanger09

Feb 24, 2017
    Here is the OOS composition of the 33 enrolled students: AZ-7, CA-3, CO-1, HI-3, ID-1, MI-1, MN-1, MT-1, ND-1, SC-1, SD-1, TX-1, UT-5, VA-1, WA-4, WI-1

Screenshot 2017-10-04 at 1.59.35 PM.png

17. Life of Pablo

Feb 18, 2016
    Yeah, and I think they accepted something like 86% of the OOS applicants they interviewed! :)

18. yaya97

yaya97

Apr 29, 2016
    I got the highly competitive email and i JUST got my interview invite...if that helps anyone!

Life of Pablo likes this.
  19. Life of Pablo

Feb 18, 2016
    Anyone who scheduled an interview, did they send you any sort of confirmation? I scheduled it over the phone, but they never sent me a confirmation email or anything.

20. mvijns

mvijns

Jan 30, 2016
    I didn't get a confirmation email, the guy just said "See you on October 17th at 8am" lol

yaya97 likes this.
  21. Life of Pablo

Feb 18, 2016
    same! Haha

22. pre dental sooner

pre dental sooner

Jun 15, 2017
    yes received the same email hope that is good news

23. Bwaddds

Bwaddds 2+ Year Member

Sep 7, 2015
    I asked the woman who took my call if we would receive any sort of confirmation email and she replied with a confident "no" so don't worry! Just make sure you wrote it down correctly lol

24. yaya97

yaya97

Apr 29, 2016
    Anyone have must do recommendations on what to do in Portland? I'm going to spend 2 days after my interview to explore the city! :)

25. mvijns

mvijns

Jan 30, 2016
    Hit up all the good places to eat! Even the "hyped up" restaurants and food carts are pretty good (except Voodoo Donuts. Never go there). My favorites are Blue Star donuts, Grassa, Salt & Straw, Por Que No, Little Big Burger, and Saburo's. There's like ten billion other places to eat so if anyone wants any cuisine-specific recommendations just shoot me a PM :p We're also popular for craft brews, but I just turned 21 so I can't really recommend any to you!

careerchanger09 and yaya97 like this.
  26. yaya97

yaya97

Apr 29, 2016
    No Voodoo donuts?? Everyone where I’m from always hyped it up whenever they go to Portland. I guess I’ll cross that off. Lol

27. mvijns

mvijns

Jan 30, 2016
    Honestly, you could buy the same quality at Safeway and sprinkle some Fruity Pebbles on it haha. Plus there's always a huge line! Take my word for it and go to Blue Star donuts instead, their donuts are heavenly and their flavors more refined. They sell out early afternoon though, so it's best to stop by in the morning for better flavor options. If you really want Voodoo, you could go there on your down time since Blue Star always has a shop inside PDX airport!

yaya97 likes this.
  28. mariobrosdoctor

mariobrosdoctor 2+ Year Member

Dec 12, 2014
    Yes! Go to The Waffle House, they have AMAZING chicken and waffles. Get the one with gravy. Also, Portland is known for its food carts, definitely check those out, they're fairly cheap and delicious.

Lastly, I'd highly recommend the Portland Japanese Garden for a peaceful and relaxing stroll through nature.

yaya97 likes this.
  29. yaya97

yaya97

Apr 29, 2016
    Hahaha nah I'm going to save my money and not go there then if I'll be getting safeway quality donuts. Blue star donuts here I come!
    Yayy thanks for the food suggestions! I'll definitely look into the Japanese Garden :)

mariobrosdoctor likes this.
  30. ThirdMolarz

ThirdMolarz

Apr 22, 2017
    Saburo's if u like sushi

juustinkim and yaya97 like this.
  31. SaveUrEnamel

SaveUrEnamel

Sep 12, 2017
    do they send interview invites via mail or email?

32. Life of Pablo

Feb 18, 2016
    Email.

33. Endeross

Endeross 2+ Year Member

Mar 3, 2015
    For those of you who've interviewed, how did it go? Who'd you get for your interviewers and what'd they talk about? How did you like the school? How was your upperclassman tourguide?

34. Life of Pablo

Feb 18, 2016
    Haven't interviewed yet, but I'm SUPER excited! I've never been to Oregon :)

35. yaya97

yaya97

Apr 29, 2016
    Dude when are you interviewing? I'm so excited for this one as well. I've been waiting patiently if it all cycle!

36. 37dentista

37dentista

Oct 11, 2017
    Do y'all think I have a legitimate chance at acceptance?

3.7 overall gpa & science gpa (bio/chem major/minor).
    19 AA 19 PAT 19 QR 24 RC 18 TS.
    65 hours shadowing multiple dentists (general & orthos).
    350 hours research.
    100 hours volunteering.
    NCAA student athlete all 4 years.
    Excellent LOR's.
    Planned service trip to Nepal in the spring to volunteer with dental group.
    App submitted September 29.

So nervous!

37. yaya97

yaya97

Apr 29, 2016
    You have really great stats! What state are you from?

38. 37dentista

37dentista

Oct 11, 2017
    I feel like my DAT could be better... that's what worries me. My GPA will go up a little bit after this semester so that's good.
    AZ, to answer your question.
    I am seriously checking my app status every 20 freakin' minutes! I'm so dang nervous - I just want more interviews!

39. yaya97

yaya97

Apr 29, 2016
    Then definitely yes I think it is worth it! They go instate> WICHE (AZ is part off)> Regular OOS! Plus I know they do lots of post december interviews.

Didn't see the 18TS I read 19AA and 19TS...hmm that's tough but I still say go for it. You have nothing to lose.

40. 37dentista

37dentista

Oct 11, 2017
    Ah the 18 TS is what is totally freaking me out. Ugh I'm so nervous.

41. Life of Pablo

Feb 18, 2016
    Is OHSU's curriculum Pass/Fail? I think I read that in previous threads but I'm not completely sure.

42. Endeross

Endeross 2+ Year Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Yes. Most classes are 70% = passing, some are a bit higher, like we have one that's 80%, but its not super bad so NBD. You get commendations in each class @93% or better

43. Endeross

Endeross 2+ Year Member

Mar 3, 2015
    I got a couple of private messages and they pertain to you guys so I figured I'd post them here after removing the names of the individuals and any particularities of the questions to keep their anonymity:
    • Hey, I am interviewing at OHSU. I just wanted to know what you think of the faculty, curriculum, and overall experience so far at OHSU. Do most students live near the school or do a lot of students live farther away, like in Hillsboro/Beaverton?
    So, I like the school and faculty and curriculum so far, have only had a couple issues where instructors were disorganized but things worked out fine. Faculty have been 99% super nice, only 1 instructor so far that I've met has been a hard-ass, but their assessments were fair, just... stern. I would rate my experience as being excellent so far, and am happy with my choice, the facilities are fantastic. I would say its 50/50 for where students live distance wise. Half live within 5-10m biking/walking distances, the rest live outside that. I would suggest looking for places closer personally. I live in lake oswego and while it's a nice place to live, the distance is expensive or time consuming to deal with. If i want to drive (10-13mins) its fast, but parking isnt cheap. If I bus, its an hour and a half of my day spent JUST on the bus (not including waiting for some of them sometimes, and it forces me to go home earlier than I'd like since buses stop coming often around 7-8pm, and I like to study at the school with my study group mates.

I know a few people that live in Hillsboro and Beaverton and they're surviving but you just have to remember that time spent commuting could be spent studying or with family/friends. Take into account the fact that parking at school is essentially equal to increasing your monthly payments when looking for apartments
    • Since OHSU is p/f, is there a class ranking or not? Do you think it makes it more difficult if you want to specialize? This is the first P/F school ive been invited to, so I'm really not sure how to feel about the P/F system. If you just want to be a GP then its great, but i want to be able to keep the possibility of specializing on the table. Thanks for the help. and, again, congrats on getting into OHSU!
    As far as I know its the same essentially or better if you want to specialize. I dont remember if there is a class ranking, just commendations based on individual courses if you score high enough(= or above 93%, otherwise you either just pass or fail at the grade cutoff). As long as you get a decent number of commendations and do well on your residency placement exams you can specialize relatively well. OHSU has most specialities too, so makes getting into one a bit of an elbow rubbing bonus if you get to know some of the faculty in them.

juustinkim and yaya97 like this.
  44. MLC45

MLC45

Sep 15, 2017
    Have you heard anything yet? I received the competitive too and haven’t heard anything since.

45. Krentist_72

Krentist_72

Feb 18, 2016
    Nope, radio silence

46. mariobrosdoctor

mariobrosdoctor 2+ Year Member

Dec 12, 2014
    Received the competitive email a
    few weeks ago (whenever they initially sent them out), and haven't received an interview yet.