Status
Not open for further replies.
I just received my interview, In-state
Stats:
4.00 GPA
24 TS, 24 AA, 24 PAT

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Received an interview invite via email at 7:02 PM CST. This is one of my dream schools!!! Still in shock :eek:

OOS
3.89 GPA-o, 3.85 GPA-s
24 AA, 24 TS, 21 PAT
App submitted 7/1, verified 7/7

Best of luck to all you future dentists!

Reactions: 2 users
Got an interview invite 5:02pm PST!
In-state | 3.9x oGPA | 3.8x sGPA | 22 AA | 22 TS | 20 PAT

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Were the interview invites for the "highly competitive" group only sent out yesterday for pre-December interview opportunities? Last year, it looked as if all the interview invites were sent on October 5th, exactly one week following the release of the "highly competitive" email.

Last edited:
Were the interview invites for the "highly competitive" group only sent out yesterday for pre-December interview opportunities? Last year, it looked as if all the interview invites were sent on October 5th, exactly one week following the release of the "highly competitive" email.
People that got the "highly competitive" email got interview invites all through the year. The people that get pre-december interviews generally had really good grades and DAT scores.

FWIW to whoever's stressing/wondering/lurking, I received the highly competitive email but not an interview!

I feel confident in interview chances, but I am from Iowa...so I feel slightly disadvantaged.
oGPA: 3.86, sGPA: 3.83 DAT: 22 AA, 22 TS, 25 PAT.

FWIW to whoever's stressing/wondering/lurking, I received the highly competitive email but not an interview!
You received an email saying you won't receive an interview, or did this happen last year?

You received an email saying you won't receive an interview, or did this happen last year?
Neither, just saying that I received the email saying I was highly competitive, but have (so far) not received an interview. So I'm throwing out there that this email seems like it was more sent automatically... it's not necessarily saying we're going to get an interview or that we're being considered at all. Or at least right off the bat.

Members don't see this ad :)
They do give preference to WICHE states that do not have dental schools (Alaska, Arizona, Idaho, Wyoming, North & South Dakota, and New Mexico).

Here is the OOS composition of the 33 enrolled students: AZ-7, CA-3, CO-1, HI-3, ID-1, MI-1, MN-1, MT-1, ND-1, SC-1, SD-1, TX-1, UT-5, VA-1, WA-4, WI-1

Screenshot 2017-10-04 at 1.59.35 PM.png

I got the highly competitive email and i JUST got my interview invite...if that helps anyone!

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone who scheduled an interview, did they send you any sort of confirmation? I scheduled it over the phone, but they never sent me a confirmation email or anything.

Anyone who scheduled an interview, did they send you any sort of confirmation? I scheduled it over the phone, but they never sent me a confirmation email or anything.
I didn't get a confirmation email, the guy just said "See you on October 17th at 8am" lol

Just got this email: "Your application to the Oregon Health & Science University School of Dentistry has completed its initial assessment and has progressed to the next phase of review. Your application is amongst a highly competitive pool, which we typically select from to participate in the interview process. You will be notified in writing should you be selected as an interview candidate. Interviews are by invitation only."
Anyone else? Anyone get something different? It's kinda weird...? So did they go through and reject people today? Cool to know they like me, but feels odd to say that but still tell me I don't have an interview
yes received the same email hope that is good news

I asked the woman who took my call if we would receive any sort of confirmation email and she replied with a confident "no" so don't worry! Just make sure you wrote it down correctly lol

Anyone have must do recommendations on what to do in Portland? I'm going to spend 2 days after my interview to explore the city! :)

Anyone have must do recommendations on what to do in Portland? I'm going to spend 2 days after my interview to explore the city! :)
Hit up all the good places to eat! Even the "hyped up" restaurants and food carts are pretty good (except Voodoo Donuts. Never go there). My favorites are Blue Star donuts, Grassa, Salt & Straw, Por Que No, Little Big Burger, and Saburo's. There's like ten billion other places to eat so if anyone wants any cuisine-specific recommendations just shoot me a PM :p We're also popular for craft brews, but I just turned 21 so I can't really recommend any to you!

Hit up all the good places to eat! Even the "hyped up" restaurants and food carts are pretty good (except Voodoo Donuts. Never go there). My favorites are Blue Star donuts, Grassa, Salt & Straw, Por Que No, Little Big Burger, and Saburo's. There's like ten billion other places to eat so if anyone wants any cuisine-specific recommendations just shoot me a PM :p We're also popular for craft brews, but I just turned 21 so I can't really recommend any to you!
No Voodoo donuts?? Everyone where I’m from always hyped it up whenever they go to Portland. I guess I’ll cross that off. Lol

No Voodoo donuts?? Everyone where I’m from always hyped it up whenever they go to Portland. I guess I’ll cross that off. Lol
Honestly, you could buy the same quality at Safeway and sprinkle some Fruity Pebbles on it haha. Plus there's always a huge line! Take my word for it and go to Blue Star donuts instead, their donuts are heavenly and their flavors more refined. They sell out early afternoon though, so it's best to stop by in the morning for better flavor options. If you really want Voodoo, you could go there on your down time since Blue Star always has a shop inside PDX airport!

Yes! Go to The Waffle House, they have AMAZING chicken and waffles. Get the one with gravy. Also, Portland is known for its food carts, definitely check those out, they're fairly cheap and delicious.

Lastly, I'd highly recommend the Portland Japanese Garden for a peaceful and relaxing stroll through nature.

Honestly, you could buy the same quality at Safeway and sprinkle some Fruity Pebbles on it haha. Plus there's always a huge line! Take my word for it and go to Blue Star donuts instead, their donuts are heavenly and their flavors more refined. They sell out early afternoon though, so it's best to stop by in the morning for better flavor options. If you really want Voodoo, you could go there on your down time since Blue Star always has a shop inside PDX airport!
Hahaha nah I'm going to save my money and not go there then if I'll be getting safeway quality donuts. Blue star donuts here I come!
Yes! Go to The Waffle House, they have AMAZING chicken and waffles. Get the one with gravy. Also, Portland is known for its food carts, definitely check those out, they're fairly cheap and delicious.

Lastly, I'd highly recommend the Portland Japanese Garden for a peaceful and relaxing stroll through nature.
Yayy thanks for the food suggestions! I'll definitely look into the Japanese Garden :)

Saburo's if u like sushi

For those of you who've interviewed, how did it go? Who'd you get for your interviewers and what'd they talk about? How did you like the school? How was your upperclassman tourguide?

Haven't interviewed yet, but I'm SUPER excited! I've never been to Oregon :)
Dude when are you interviewing? I'm so excited for this one as well. I've been waiting patiently if it all cycle!

Do y'all think I have a legitimate chance at acceptance?

3.7 overall gpa & science gpa (bio/chem major/minor).
19 AA 19 PAT 19 QR 24 RC 18 TS.
65 hours shadowing multiple dentists (general & orthos).
350 hours research.
100 hours volunteering.
NCAA student athlete all 4 years.
Excellent LOR's.
Planned service trip to Nepal in the spring to volunteer with dental group.
App submitted September 29.

So nervous!

Do y'all think I have a legitimate chance at acceptance?

3.7 overall gpa & science gpa (bio/chem major/minor).
19 AA 19 PAT 19 QR 24 RC 18 TS.
65 hours shadowing multiple dentists (general & orthos).
350 hours research.
100 hours volunteering.
NCAA student athlete all 4 years.
Excellent LOR's.
Planned service trip to Nepal in the spring to volunteer with dental group.
App submitted September 29.

So nervous!
You have really great stats! What state are you from?

You have really great stats! What state are you from?
I feel like my DAT could be better... that's what worries me. My GPA will go up a little bit after this semester so that's good.
AZ, to answer your question.
I am seriously checking my app status every 20 freakin' minutes! I'm so dang nervous - I just want more interviews!

I feel like my DAT could be better... that's what worries me. My GPA will go up a little bit after this semester so that's good.
AZ, to answer your question.
I am seriously checking my app status every 20 freakin' minutes! I'm so dang nervous - I just want more interviews!
Then definitely yes I think it is worth it! They go instate> WICHE (AZ is part off)> Regular OOS! Plus I know they do lots of post december interviews.

Didn't see the 18TS I read 19AA and 19TS...hmm that's tough but I still say go for it. You have nothing to lose.

Then definitely yes I think it is worth it! They go instate> WICHE (AZ is part off)> Regular OOS! Plus I know they do lots of post december interviews.

Didn't see the 18TS I read 19AA and 19TS...hmm that's tough but I still say go for it. You have nothing to lose.

Ah the 18 TS is what is totally freaking me out. Ugh I'm so nervous.

Is OHSU's curriculum Pass/Fail? I think I read that in previous threads but I'm not completely sure.
Yes. Most classes are 70% = passing, some are a bit higher, like we have one that's 80%, but its not super bad so NBD. You get commendations in each class @93% or better

I got a couple of private messages and they pertain to you guys so I figured I'd post them here after removing the names of the individuals and any particularities of the questions to keep their anonymity:
  • Hey, I am interviewing at OHSU. I just wanted to know what you think of the faculty, curriculum, and overall experience so far at OHSU. Do most students live near the school or do a lot of students live farther away, like in Hillsboro/Beaverton?
So, I like the school and faculty and curriculum so far, have only had a couple issues where instructors were disorganized but things worked out fine. Faculty have been 99% super nice, only 1 instructor so far that I've met has been a hard-ass, but their assessments were fair, just... stern. I would rate my experience as being excellent so far, and am happy with my choice, the facilities are fantastic. I would say its 50/50 for where students live distance wise. Half live within 5-10m biking/walking distances, the rest live outside that. I would suggest looking for places closer personally. I live in lake oswego and while it's a nice place to live, the distance is expensive or time consuming to deal with. If i want to drive (10-13mins) its fast, but parking isnt cheap. If I bus, its an hour and a half of my day spent JUST on the bus (not including waiting for some of them sometimes, and it forces me to go home earlier than I'd like since buses stop coming often around 7-8pm, and I like to study at the school with my study group mates.

I know a few people that live in Hillsboro and Beaverton and they're surviving but you just have to remember that time spent commuting could be spent studying or with family/friends. Take into account the fact that parking at school is essentially equal to increasing your monthly payments when looking for apartments
  • Since OHSU is p/f, is there a class ranking or not? Do you think it makes it more difficult if you want to specialize? This is the first P/F school ive been invited to, so I'm really not sure how to feel about the P/F system. If you just want to be a GP then its great, but i want to be able to keep the possibility of specializing on the table. Thanks for the help. and, again, congrats on getting into OHSU!
As far as I know its the same essentially or better if you want to specialize. I dont remember if there is a class ranking, just commendations based on individual courses if you score high enough(= or above 93%, otherwise you either just pass or fail at the grade cutoff). As long as you get a decent number of commendations and do well on your residency placement exams you can specialize relatively well. OHSU has most specialities too, so makes getting into one a bit of an elbow rubbing bonus if you get to know some of the faculty in them.

Reactions: 2 users
Neither, just saying that I received the email saying I was highly competitive, but have (so far) not received an interview. So I'm throwing out there that this email seems like it was more sent automatically... it's not necessarily saying we're going to get an interview or that we're being considered at all. Or at least right off the bat.
Have you heard anything yet? I received the competitive too and haven’t heard anything since.

Received the competitive email a
few weeks ago (whenever they initially sent them out), and haven't received an interview yet.

Received the competitive email a
few weeks ago (whenever they initially sent them out), and haven't received an interview yet.
This is normal. You guys will likely get them later. I got the competitive email last year and didnt interview till way late in the cycle (April)

Anyone have an idea when the next set of interview invites will be sent out?

This is normal. You guys will likely get them later. I got the competitive email last year and didnt interview till way late in the cycle (April)

Thanks, I'm OOS but OHSU is my top choice. Would love to live in Portland.

Those that have already interviewed, how late did everything go? Do you think it would be possible to catch a flight that leaves at 3:30PM or should I aim for later?

Those that have already interviewed, how late did everything go? Do you think it would be possible to catch a flight that leaves at 3:30PM or should I aim for later?
My flight leaves at 3:50 pm. I called to ask to leave at 1:30 pm (around 30 mins early), and they were able to accommodate me.

Status
Not open for further replies.