****The Official OHSU Class of 2022 Interview/Acceptance Thread****

Status
Not open for further replies.
My flight leaves at 3:50 pm. I called to ask to leave at 1:30 pm (around 30 mins early), and they were able to accommodate me.
Sweet thanks! I'll reach out to them.

Members don't see this ad.

The interviews go till about 2:30 if you stay or ask extra questions etc. I would still try and have a later flight if it were me

Reactions: 1 user
The interviews go till about 2:30 if you stay or ask extra questions etc. I would still try and have a later flight if it were me

Oh dang I didn’t know that. Thanks for the advice!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, the website said 2 pm. The 3:50 pm flight was the very last flight out that day (without having to stay overnight) so I had to take it.
Yeah, I'm sure they CAN be done at 2, my 2nd interview though was done at 2:10 and then we had a small talk with the dean of admissions (Mark) and asked some questions and stuff, I got in my car about 2:40 (my phone history to my wife confirms it from that day). But I guarantee you they'll be accommodating, the whole interview process is really laid back and unstressful.

Day goes like this:
Be there half an hour to an hour early, seriously, if you've never been to Portland it's not worth it to miss the start due to stupid traffic if you dont know the area and the times to get out. There's starbucks downstairs and you can chill in some of the chairs down there or in some of the funky chairs in front of the admissions/student affairs office (I dont like those, no backs on them and I'm not a fan of sitting on stools without something to lean against, so I'd sit downstairs and people watch or browse reddit or something.)

Then you You go in, have a quick talk about what you're going to be doing that day. They give you a paper showing any delinquent or things that need clarifying about your classes (eg. if you still need biochem this year or something) and then you go on a tour of the facilities.

You then go shadow in clinic to see what it's like there, and/or sit in on a class with some 1st or 2nd year dental students for half an hour to an hour.

After, you get lunch and hang out with a 3rd or 4th year student and can ask whatever you want of them.

Then you meet up with your first interviewer (this is at like 12:30 or something), go to their office and have an interview.

After, you interview again with another faculty, the interviews are 1/2 hour or so if I remember correctly.

Then you go back, the student admissions/academic affairs (they're 1 in the same) team go over your delinquent courses, answer questions, and off you go.

And that's it. The interviews were pretty relaxed for me, "why dentistry? Tell me about your research? Tell me why we should pick you over x? tell me about this on your academics. Why OHSU? Tell me about yourself. What questions would you have for me? What do you know about dentistry?" You know, the usual questions. Maybe a few tailor made ones. You can look up various dental school interview questions on this site, they're all likely to be useful if you want to practice in front of a mirror and make sure you have some generic responses and aren't caught feeling stupid when they ask you to describe yourself, but be yourself and dont memorize your answers. Make sure you know your application really well. One of my interviewers had it memorized. No joke, he also read my published research and was very thorough in asking questions about it, though not intense, he was just generally interested (he does perio research) so make sure you're ready for that. Alternatively, you could also get someone that didnt even read it (my first interviewer said they wanted to get to know me first, then they read the application, they didnt want to go in with pre-biased questions)

Anyway, I need to study and stop being helpful to you guys.

Reactions: 2 users
Those that have already interviewed, how late did everything go? Do you think it would be possible to catch a flight that leaves at 3:30PM or should I aim for later?
I interviewed last week and the interviews are from 1-2pm. My second interview ran late to 2:30 (got caught up in conversation) so I would definitely suggest letting them know about your situation!

Edit: welp, Endeross totally debriefed you and I didn't see his post until after I posted this

I was able to interview from 11 am - 12 pm and be out of there by 1:15 pm. I loved the school! The facilities are the nicest I have seen by far. Good luck to everyone interviewing!! :)

Reactions: 1 users
I was able to interview from 11 am - 12 pm and be out of there by 1:15 pm. I loved the school! The facilities are the nicest I have seen by far. Good luck to everyone interviewing!! :)
Sorry if you came into our biophys class, the instructor was up all night and super out of it lol. Who'd you interview with?

I interviewed last week and the interviews are from 1-2pm. My second interview ran late to 2:30 (got caught up in conversation) so I would definitely suggest letting them know about your situation!

Edit: welp, Endeross totally debriefed you and I didn't see his post until after I posted this
Who'd you interview with?

This is normal. You guys will likely get them later. I got the competitive email last year and didnt interview till way late in the cycle (April)
Since you didn’t get an interview until April, what did they tell you on December 1st? Or were you left in the dark until April?

Since you didn’t get an interview until April, what did they tell you on December 1st? Or were you left in the dark until April?
Left in the dark. I called them a couple times during the cycle also to ask a few questions and when doing academic updates to make sure they got them, but other than that they just give you the blanket answers: "you'll know when you get an email" or "Just keep waiting, it takes time" which is understandable, they go through like 1500+ applications and they only interview people they want to accept. Just hold tight guys, keep on trucking on and work on your shadowing and grades while you wait so you can do academic update and improve for next year should you not get in.

I actually met the Dean of Admissions at the UC Davis Pre Health Conference on October 14th, and he asked me my name and pulled up my application status on his phone on the spot! It was crazy. Luckily he didn't reject me on the spot, and said that I was still in the pool and that they were still thinning it out.

Members don't see this ad :)
They send the news letter to everyone thats interviewing/at school/many of the interview candidates that are "highly competetive" I think. I remember getting it starting about halfway through the cycle and onwards

I didn’t receive anything. I also didn’t get an interview. No rejection, but no interview either.
Dont stress it. It doesnt mean you wont get an interview. If you havent been rejected then you're still in the race.

Good luck tomorrow guys, some of you will be getting acceptances. For those that dont and have interviewed, dont stress it, they'll prob send another round of accpetances beginning in january and start doing interviews again in january. For those that havent interviewed yet, keep your heads up and make sure you submit your academic updates. They really help. I know some people got interviews last year after their academic update even after they'd been given the soft rejection email.

I just passed Mark Mitchell in the hall, He said that they're interviewing 2 people today and that acceptances should be out this afternoon/evening if all goes well. The usual person (Ana) that does most of the interview day and stuff like this isn't in the office as she's on maternity leave so things may be a bit more lagging than usual.

Any in-state acceptances yet? Waiting and dying of anxiety :arghh:

Any in-state acceptances yet? Waiting and dying of anxiety :arghh:
I got accepted yesterday, in state! I had to check on AADSAS because they didn’t send me an email until later that evening.

I was accepted yesterday afternoon as well (in state). By now, accepted people should have AADSAS updated, and received an email from OHSU, as well as a personal email from Mark Mitchell.

Congrats on your acceptances guys.
Heres stuff that people always want to know when school starts or when coming to dental school and sorry for the wall of text and verbal diarrhea:
If you decide to come to oregon, I personally suggest trying to find somewhere that is within 15 minutes biking or bus distance. You get the portland bus system subsidized for $80/year and the parking of bikes at the school they pay you 20 bucks for every 20 times you park there which well pays for bike parking at the school and shower locker room etc and then a little extra. Otherwise try to live close to the school and not spend a ton. It really helps out. use google as a guide for finding apartments within range and best of luck. No matter what you get tho it'll prob be spendy. Its hard to find good places for less than 1300 a month for a 1 bedroom. Parking is 8/day at the schnitzer parking lot so if you want to live further and drive tthen make sure you account for 8$x20=$160/month in parking if you dont carpool and share expenses into your rent. I personally carpool from lake oswego so its 80/month in parking for me and I have a 1 bedroom for 1200/month (but its newer and pretty nice, yet traveling during any rush hour sucks.

Every year, people also ask, should I pre-study? IDK. I dont know that it'd really be that helpful unless you want to take like some anatomy classes and focus on nerves/arteries for gross anatomy class that you start off with in summer term. It's a pretty hard class and if you have a base in that then it'd be useful I guess but nothing can really prepare you for what is to come with it since what you have to know is class specific and theres a TON of it. Many people just take a break and enjoy some solid vacation. Be aware that a few people in my class will have to re-take gross because it's a hard class though and people failed it.

For electronics, Most people use either macbooks/ipads or microsoft surfaces. All your textbooks will be available via vitalsource texbook program (FYI, it sucks, but most people dont even use the textbooks ever since pretty much all tested material is on powerpoints) I like the microsoft surface devices personally but you can get by just fine without either and using any other windows device if you dont care about pen functionality and prefer to type. People organise their classes by printing the powerpoint PDF's into microsoft onenote (a program available on mac and PC) and then using those for note taking organization. Many in my class use anki and quizlet to make flash cards for themselves to study from. Anki has a leanring curve but can be fast for card creation whereas quizlet is a bit slower creation but much nicer interface and more shareable. There is also somtimes a benefit to being able to have your main computer for note taking and a tablet to read books to multiscreen from also for some classes so if you have that as an option I'd say go for it. Also, put your name on all your stuff because many people have similar items so its nice to have your name in a discreet place should it get lost or go to the lost and found. Everyone's pretty ethical and honest though so its not like people are gunna steal your stuff but things can get misplaced or mistaken.

You'll be given a lanyard for your ID badge near the end of the first summer term but I personally enjoy having a retractable ID badge lanyard. Find a good one on amazon or something. They sell them at the school.

Get a nice backpack that's waterproof or a waterproof bag to go around your backpack (they're like 10 bucks from amazon) cuz it rains here a good bit this time of year. Timbuk2, osprey, and ebags all have great backpacks. If you ride, a good pannier may be a better idea to avoid backsweat.

Get 5 pairs of scrubs eventually, you can start with 3x for the first couple terms but by year 3 you'll be in clininc 5 days a week so you'll want 5 pairs. I like "carhart ripstop" scrubs because they have lots of pockets and they fit me well as an overweight dude (have belt loops too which is nice) and are really durable but also thick so they get warm during summer, which sucks but is great during winter. Get matching colors, don't mismatch them and avoid baby-blue and green scrubs because those are used by surgeons and nurses. Other than that get a few different colors and enjoy. Some people in my class really like the "figs" scrubs. They're spendy but pretty designer. I've also heard OK things about dickies, cherokee, and greys anatomy but none of those fit me very well, your mileage may vary. Try checking out a scrubs store if you have one near you (portland has one just south of the school if you're local)

And now loupes. You'll be budgeted via financial aid 1500 for loupes for your summer/fall term. There are a variety of brands out there that are good and well known and here is my take. You'll hear from an "ergonomics" expert that may or may not be heavily biased toward certain brands. She has some good info but some is just her opinion based on ergonomics alone and not on enjoyability and quality of life so take that as you want. My opinions are as follows:

I prefer metal frames (Titanium and aluminum are durable and light) because I want it to last, having worn glasses a lot and knowing about plastics I know that they degrade and dont look and last as long as good.​

I dont care about brand name frames (oakley, nike etc) but some people do. I just personally wanted the glass to wrap around my head so that I dont have to have the dorky side shield attachments and there are frames that allow this

IMO go for at least 3.5x magnification. You'll be recommended 2.5x but having looked through them all I dont see the need for it as you have plenty of viewing area with 3.5, and some people prefer higher. You'll be pressured to get 2.5's when being advised by an ergonomics expert.

If you wear glasses/contacts, I suggest seeing if you can wear contacts because it's easier and cheaper on the changes, you can also get inserts with prescription or get the actual glass lenses with prescription if you want. Just be aware that they may not make your actual magnifiers with prescription and your working distance may change depending on your eyes because of that. Hence why I suggest getting used to contacts if you can help it.

Thru the lens vs flip up: if you want flip ups, buy some amazon 50 buck loupes to try them out. These work well in a pinch anyway because they still add magnification and are cheap. Otherwise I like thru the lens and most of your class will also. (you'll be advised to get flip ups by the ergonomics lady because they can have high angle of declination, but the distance from your eyes reduce field of view and the weight imo make them suck. They can however be easily adjusted which can be good or bad if you knock them or want to share with someone or something.) Trust me, thru lens is the way to go for most people.

On to brands: I think that q-optics are the the best to my preferences as they're titanium, light weight, wrap your head so you dont need the dorky side shields, and they have amazing prismatic lenses (3.5x+) that have a huge field of view, they have a lifetime frame guarantee, the rep is really responsive and they get them to you and do fixes really fast. The cons of them are tthat they're like 1800 bucks (worth it IMO tho) so they arent cheap, and the lights that q-optics sell suck. Get a lumadent light or ultralight (those are like 400 with student discounts) instead. I'll talk about lights more tho later.

Surgitel loupes are oakleys and wrap around nice but I dont like plastic and I dont like the weight of them. They arent bad, but they didnt impress me. You'll get a chance to check them out, mb they'll have newer ones next year. Their light is dope but its expensive if you dont package it with their loupes and want to buy it solo.

Oroscoptic has really cool loupes but I dont like the rep dude and they were heavy. They had some really neat available options for customizability of thier loupes though with different magnifications that can be swapped out or even one that has a switch to change the mag on the fly with the same lenses.

Designs for visions had cool loupes but they never came to our vender fair so I never tried them on (only saw through the website) and they also supposedly are difficult to get to increase the angle of declination on (to help your back pain, its nice to have a high 40+) for some reason.

Lumadent is the one that I got because they were super cheap, had a good rep and they were as light weight as the q-optics at half the cost. If I had no money issues I'd have gotten q's but lumadent are still good. They have metal and plastic types of frames, and are under 800 bucks with student discount.

As for lights: you'll see them all but my opinion is that surgitel is best (700 bucks tho lol) lumadent is 2nd (400 bucks for 2 batteries and they fit every type of lens) and ultralight is great also. These 3 have a focused beam led which is really nice to reduce over scatter of light. You can also get them with filtered out blue (helps to stop from curing composites and is easier on your eyes) Surgitel will tell you theirs is best by far and they're right its best but its not that far and tbh lumadent is nearly half the cost and the rep is in seattle and comes down whenever you want to talk to him. The other brands can be good also but are usually expensive as hell if you dont buy their loupes similar to surgitel, I just brought up surgitel because it's the "best" but prob 1/2 hour class got lumadent lights.

There you go guys, hopefully that helps prepare you a bit and gives you some info to do research on stuff for yourself. Dont even listen to me 100% anyway, things are very personal based and I just wanted to give a bit of direction but try everything out. Opinions are like dinguses the saying goes... You may think im full of **** by the time you try on some loupes that you love and work perfect for you and differ from my opinions. Check all those brands out though online and see if you can go to a vender fair (I think theres one in december in portland, idk)​

Last edited:
Does anyone know if they typically accept more people throughout December? Mark said the bulk of acceptances come in jan. My stats are OK (3.6ogpa, 3.4sgpa, 20aa, 19ts) so I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up for a Dec 1st acceptance, but it's hard not to. Dream school :love:

For electronics, Most people use either macbooks/ipads or microsoft surfaces. All your textbooks will be available via vitalsource texbook program (FYI, it sucks, but most people dont even use the textbooks ever since pretty much all tested material is on powerpoints) I like the microsoft surface devices personally but you can get by just fine without either and using any other windows device if you dont care about pen functionality and prefer to type. People organise their classes by printing the powerpoint PDF's into microsoft onenote (a program available on mac and PC) and then using those for note taking organization.

Am I the only person that had a horrible experience w the surface pros? I went through THREE of them (thankfully with the extended warranties). They'd be great for about a year before they'd unexpectedly stop working, and they're totally unrepairable! There are few things more stressful than your laptop dying right before dead week. :dead: I was obsessive about using a case and never dropped one, but I guess I'm hard on them in the sense that I bring them everywhere. Eventually I cut my losses and bought a lenovo--going on 2 years w no problems.

Does anyone know if they typically accept more people throughout December? Mark said the bulk of acceptances come in jan. My stats are OK (3.6ogpa, 3.4sgpa, 20aa, 19ts) so I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up for a Dec 1st acceptance, but it's hard not to. Dream school :love:

If you interviewed, you'll likely get an acceptance eventually. And yeah, surfaces have problems sometimes, but you could be hard on them or something. If your laptop dies, there are loaners at the schools academic affairs and theres a microsoft and apple store down the road if you have one of those. I dont have issues with my surfaces. Bummer for you, but you dont have to use one, use an HP, or a dell or in your case a Lenovo or whatever else you want that's fine too. I was just bringing it up because thats what prob 2/3 of students have is surface or macs and it gets brought up every year haha.

You're also required to buy Bitlocker encyrption which unfortunately comes with Windows Pro ($100 upgrade). Its built in with apple laptops.

You're also required to buy Bitlocker encyrption which unfortunately comes with Windows Pro ($100 upgrade). Its built in with apple laptops.
Yah you need windows pro, but many computers come with that. Also, I think as a student you can get windows 10 pro relatively cheap through the school. dunno, I'd have to check that.

If you interviewed, you'll likely get an acceptance eventually. And yeah, surfaces have problems sometimes, but you could be hard on them or something. If your laptop dies, there are loaners at the schools academic affairs and theres a microsoft and apple store down the road if you have one of those. I dont have issues with my surfaces. Bummer for you, but you dont have to use one, use an HP, or a dell or in your case a Lenovo or whatever else you want that's fine too. I was just bringing it up because thats what prob 2/3 of students have is surface or macs and it gets brought up every year haha.

I'm sorry, I was ruder than I meant to be. They are awesome devices if you're more careful than me. I appreciate the thorough advice!

I am out of state. Would OHSU change your residency after the first year so you could pay in state sutition for the rest 3 years? Heard some schools don't let their students change their residency even after completion of D1.

I am out of state. Would OHSU change your residency after the first year so you could pay in state sutition for the rest 3 years? Heard some schools don't let their students change their residency even after completion of D1.

no

Also, does anyone know if OHSU offers Microsoft Office 2016 to its students, or just Office 365?

Declined my offer. This was a hard one to turn down. I really enjoyed my interview experience and only have good things to say about the school. Good luck to everyone else :)

Can anyone talk about what it’s like for transgender people at OHSU? I know they’re at least friendly on paper—with their bathroom signs and whatnot—but what are the professors/staff like?

Can anyone talk about what it’s like for transgender people at OHSU? I know they’re at least friendly on paper—with their bathroom signs and whatnot—but what are the professors/staff like?
Portland's a pretty liberal place and they seem to attempt to accommodate as well as they can for all. There was an online required "dont harass others" thing we had to do before school started and is part of school policy. There are unisex bathrooms if that bothers you. Most people will be courteous, some will go out of their way to ensure they don't offend, most will likely not care, not want to know, and wont treat you any different than anyone else as neither they nor you should make it a big deal. No matter where you go tho you'll get treated like a weirdo by SOMEBODY at some point in your career. Everyone gets at least some form of persecution in their life, but how you handle it is the more important thing. Try not to get offended or create drama about it and life'll be easier. I will say that I don't know if anyone in my class is trans (nobody's advertising it specifically at least around me) but we've got a lot of different religions, ethnicity, and personalities in my class represented and I've not heard of anyone getting treated any differently (negative or positive) at all. There are also instructors from all different walks of life also. Best of luck no matter where/what you do.

Edit: After thinking about this a bit more, the place you'll likely get discriminated the most from will be patients, and the demographic of the area will either help or inhibit this. Consider this when making your school/work choice for the future. No matter what, some patients are dinguses. Some Patients will be racist and harass others because they don't have their job on the line unlike a school instructor, they already hate the dentist, and don't want to be there. It's something you've got to overcome and I know it sucks being an outsider. But at least if you go to Portland or some other school that is in a fairly free thinking city, you'll get LESS of it compared to some.

Last edited:
Thank you for the thoughtful reply. I'm actually asking on behalf of my gf. I posted on another thread as well and love that I'm hearing almost nothing but good things. I guess it makes sense that the patients are the hardest part.

To be honest, I was surprised how much garbage is involved even as a cis woman. :confused: It's 2018!!! In a very liberal bubble!!! From the very persistent assumptions that by dental school I must mean that I'm studying to become a hygienist/assistant, to the dentist that told my classmate to not bother with private practice b/c women make bad entrepreneurs, to all the really hard to read posts on dentaltown :(. And the creeps! No one ever mentions this stuff!! During the clinic observation part of my interview, I got stuck with an incredibly creepy patient who kept asking weird uncomfortable questions and touching my arm :grumpy:. The student I was shadowing made sure not to leave me alone with him, and even apologized on his behalf when we stepped away to grab something. Ugh, I went into my interview so rattled, and I'm still replaying it in my head analyzing how I reacted and what I should have done. I guess there will always be garbage patients :annoyed:.

Ugh, sorry to rant. I'm feeling down today :(.

Thank you for the thoughtful reply. I'm actually asking on behalf of my gf. I posted on another thread as well and love that I'm hearing almost nothing but good things. I guess it makes sense that the patients are the hardest part.

To be honest, I was surprised how much garbage is involved even as a cis woman. :confused: It's 2018!!! In a very liberal bubble!!! From the very persistent assumptions that by dental school I must mean that I'm studying to become a hygienist/assistant, to the dentist that told my classmate to not bother with private practice b/c women make bad entrepreneurs, to all the really hard to read posts on dentaltown :(. And the creeps! No one ever mentions this stuff!! During the clinic observation part of my interview, I got stuck with an incredibly creepy patient who kept asking weird uncomfortable questions and touching my arm :grumpy:. The student I was shadowing made sure not to leave me alone with him, and even apologized on his behalf when we stepped away to grab something. Ugh, I went into my interview so rattled, and I'm still replaying it in my head analyzing how I reacted and what I should have done. I guess there will always be garbage patients :annoyed:.

Ugh, sorry to rant. I'm feeling down today :(.
Yeah, sorry it's like that for you. Until recently its been a totally male dominated field to be a doctor of any kind in the USA. The graduating class 30 years ago would be like 5-10% female. It's only starting to become closer to 50:50 in the last 5-10 years, so you'll have to deal with stereotypes. Creeps are a bummer and you can call them out on it if you want so that you establish your grounds and they don't think they can do it again in the future, but also just realize that some people are anxious and they may just need a little physical attention to be calmed down and it may not be a sexual thing at all to them, same goes for some women and you may just not be used to that. I'm not saying "that's what happened" at all but it is something to be aware of. I feel bad for many women in that they have to deal with these issues when they're literally things many men dont even truly sympathize with because it happens so much less frequently for us ugly dudes, albeit it still does happen, and it can be off putting and violating.

As for the whole "women make bad entrepreneurs" thing... If you want to do it you can do it. It's not exactly a false statement, but it doesn't mean there/you aren't an exception. **** the haters, you do you! There are a ton of great women in dentistry and many are successful business women so w/e. Alternatively, I can be a devils advocate: lets be realistic, more women do work as associates longer, more do part time jobs so they can have the nurture relationship with their kids, and are perfectly happy to do so. So when people say stupid **** like that they're generalizing, stereotyping, and that sucks for the type of person that YOU are. Don't hate em tho! Brush off the stupid comments for what they are, ignorance. You can educate them to your point of view, or just brush it off and choose to not be offended that way no-one leaves angry. The world is changing, its an exciting time to be alive and fortunately you can be a part of it. Best of luck! I hope your weekend improves and you start feeling better.

Thanks guys! OHSU is my dream school and still clinging on to small hope

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Thanks guys! OHSU is my dream school and still clinging on to small hope

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I hear you, I know the feeling. My fingers are crossed for you! January is supposed to be a big month in OHSU admissions. So... no one has heard anything since Dec 1st?

On the OHSU Transportation & Parking page, it lists the Schnitzer parking lot ($10/day) and the CLSB parking lot ($22/day). Do most dental students park at Schnitzer instead (because lol wtf??? @ the parking rate for the other one...), and if so, is it difficult to find a spot? I can't decide if it's worth paying $200/month for parking for a 20-40 min commute, or commute 50-70 min via Trimet for only $80/year. I know that's such a huge difference in money, but I really can't bring myself to wake up early/on-time. My K-12 + college years were littered with tardies :oops:

If you park there, its 8/day as of a couple months ago (they changed it then). I would say MOST students live close enough for a bike ride, or street car to get there. I was riding the bus, a 40 minute ride, but found that the extra time was better spent studying or being with my spouse. I drive and park with a friend to pay. Comes to 15 minutes instead of 40+ and is 4/day since we share the cost. Its still spendy. Hope that helps. The 22/day is available if you want to pay it but I don't know anyone that does. The space is mostly there for your patients who get validated parking. Also, I know some people that live nearby that sell their yearly guest parking space @ their house for like 100+ since they just walk or ride to school. Could ask people for it in your class if you wanted.

You'll start being early or on time or you'll fall behind.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.