Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sweet thanks! I'll reach out to them.My flight leaves at 3:50 pm. I called to ask to leave at 1:30 pm (around 30 mins early), and they were able to accommodate me.
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Sweet thanks! I'll reach out to them.My flight leaves at 3:50 pm. I called to ask to leave at 1:30 pm (around 30 mins early), and they were able to accommodate me.
The interviews go till about 2:30 if you stay or ask extra questions etc. I would still try and have a later flight if it were me
Oh, the website said 2 pm. The 3:50 pm flight was the very last flight out that day (without having to stay overnight) so I had to take it.The interviews go till about 2:30 if you stay or ask extra questions etc. I would still try and have a later flight if it were me
Yeah, I'm sure they CAN be done at 2, my 2nd interview though was done at 2:10 and then we had a small talk with the dean of admissions (Mark) and asked some questions and stuff, I got in my car about 2:40 (my phone history to my wife confirms it from that day). But I guarantee you they'll be accommodating, the whole interview process is really laid back and unstressful.Oh, the website said 2 pm. The 3:50 pm flight was the very last flight out that day (without having to stay overnight) so I had to take it.
I interviewed last week and the interviews are from 1-2pm. My second interview ran late to 2:30 (got caught up in conversation) so I would definitely suggest letting them know about your situation!Those that have already interviewed, how late did everything go? Do you think it would be possible to catch a flight that leaves at 3:30PM or should I aim for later?
Sorry if you came into our biophys class, the instructor was up all night and super out of it lol. Who'd you interview with?I was able to interview from 11 am - 12 pm and be out of there by 1:15 pm. I loved the school! The facilities are the nicest I have seen by far. Good luck to everyone interviewing!! 🙂
Who'd you interview with?I interviewed last week and the interviews are from 1-2pm. My second interview ran late to 2:30 (got caught up in conversation) so I would definitely suggest letting them know about your situation!
Edit: welp, Endeross totally debriefed you and I didn't see his post until after I posted this
Since you didn’t get an interview until April, what did they tell you on December 1st? Or were you left in the dark until April?This is normal. You guys will likely get them later. I got the competitive email last year and didnt interview till way late in the cycle (April)
Left in the dark. I called them a couple times during the cycle also to ask a few questions and when doing academic updates to make sure they got them, but other than that they just give you the blanket answers: "you'll know when you get an email" or "Just keep waiting, it takes time" which is understandable, they go through like 1500+ applications and they only interview people they want to accept. Just hold tight guys, keep on trucking on and work on your shadowing and grades while you wait so you can do academic update and improve for next year should you not get in.Since you didn’t get an interview until April, what did they tell you on December 1st? Or were you left in the dark until April?
Dr. da Costa and Dr. Finn! They were both very lovely people and I actually had a great time interviewing with them.Who'd you interview with?
I didn’t receive anything. I also didn’t get an interview. No rejection, but no interview either.Did everyone receive the news letter?
Dont stress it. It doesnt mean you wont get an interview. If you havent been rejected then you're still in the race.I didn’t receive anything. I also didn’t get an interview. No rejection, but no interview either.
CongratulationsAlso accepted OOS 🙂
I got accepted yesterday, in state! I had to check on AADSAS because they didn’t send me an email until later that evening.Any in-state acceptances yet? Waiting and dying of anxiety![]()
For electronics, Most people use either macbooks/ipads or microsoft surfaces. All your textbooks will be available via vitalsource texbook program (FYI, it sucks, but most people dont even use the textbooks ever since pretty much all tested material is on powerpoints) I like the microsoft surface devices personally but you can get by just fine without either and using any other windows device if you dont care about pen functionality and prefer to type. People organise their classes by printing the powerpoint PDF's into microsoft onenote (a program available on mac and PC) and then using those for note taking organization.
Does anyone know if they typically accept more people throughout December? Mark said the bulk of acceptances come in jan. My stats are OK (3.6ogpa, 3.4sgpa, 20aa, 19ts) so I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up for a Dec 1st acceptance, but it's hard not to. Dream school 😍
Yah you need windows pro, but many computers come with that. Also, I think as a student you can get windows 10 pro relatively cheap through the school. dunno, I'd have to check that.You're also required to buy Bitlocker encyrption which unfortunately comes with Windows Pro ($100 upgrade). Its built in with apple laptops.
If you interviewed, you'll likely get an acceptance eventually. And yeah, surfaces have problems sometimes, but you could be hard on them or something. If your laptop dies, there are loaners at the schools academic affairs and theres a microsoft and apple store down the road if you have one of those. I dont have issues with my surfaces. Bummer for you, but you dont have to use one, use an HP, or a dell or in your case a Lenovo or whatever else you want that's fine too. I was just bringing it up because thats what prob 2/3 of students have is surface or macs and it gets brought up every year haha.
I am out of state. Would OHSU change your residency after the first year so you could pay in state sutition for the rest 3 years? Heard some schools don't let their students change their residency even after completion of D1.
Also, does anyone know if OHSU offers Microsoft Office 2016 to its students, or just Office 365?
Portland's a pretty liberal place and they seem to attempt to accommodate as well as they can for all. There was an online required "dont harass others" thing we had to do before school started and is part of school policy. There are unisex bathrooms if that bothers you. Most people will be courteous, some will go out of their way to ensure they don't offend, most will likely not care, not want to know, and wont treat you any different than anyone else as neither they nor you should make it a big deal. No matter where you go tho you'll get treated like a weirdo by SOMEBODY at some point in your career. Everyone gets at least some form of persecution in their life, but how you handle it is the more important thing. Try not to get offended or create drama about it and life'll be easier. I will say that I don't know if anyone in my class is trans (nobody's advertising it specifically at least around me) but we've got a lot of different religions, ethnicity, and personalities in my class represented and I've not heard of anyone getting treated any differently (negative or positive) at all. There are also instructors from all different walks of life also. Best of luck no matter where/what you do.Can anyone talk about what it’s like for transgender people at OHSU? I know they’re at least friendly on paper—with their bathroom signs and whatnot—but what are the professors/staff like?
. Yeah, sorry it's like that for you. Until recently its been a totally male dominated field to be a doctor of any kind in the USA. The graduating class 30 years ago would be like 5-10% female. It's only starting to become closer to 50:50 in the last 5-10 years, so you'll have to deal with stereotypes. Creeps are a bummer and you can call them out on it if you want so that you establish your grounds and they don't think they can do it again in the future, but also just realize that some people are anxious and they may just need a little physical attention to be calmed down and it may not be a sexual thing at all to them, same goes for some women and you may just not be used to that. I'm not saying "that's what happened" at all but it is something to be aware of. I feel bad for many women in that they have to deal with these issues when they're literally things many men dont even truly sympathize with because it happens so much less frequently for us ugly dudes, albeit it still does happen, and it can be off putting and violating.Thank you for the thoughtful reply. I'm actually asking on behalf of my gf. I posted on another thread as well and love that I'm hearing almost nothing but good things. I guess it makes sense that the patients are the hardest part.
To be honest, I was surprised how much garbage is involved even as a cis woman. 😕 It's 2018!!! In a very liberal bubble!!! From the very persistent assumptions that by dental school I must mean that I'm studying to become a hygienist/assistant, to the dentist that told my classmate to not bother with private practice b/c women make bad entrepreneurs, to all the really hard to read posts on dentaltown 🙁. And the creeps! No one ever mentions this stuff!! During the clinic observation part of my interview, I got stuck with an incredibly creepy patient who kept asking weird uncomfortable questions and touching my arm. The student I was shadowing made sure not to leave me alone with him, and even apologized on his behalf when we stepped away to grab something. Ugh, I went into my interview so rattled, and I'm still replaying it in my head analyzing how I reacted and what I should have done. I guess there will always be garbage patients
.
Ugh, sorry to rant. I'm feeling down today 🙁.
Does anyone know if OHSU interviews post-dec?
Into April last year.Does anyone know if OHSU interviews post-dec?
Thanks guys! OHSU is my dream school and still clinging on to small hope
Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Our mission is to provide students with free, unbiased information, resources, and advising for careers in the health professions. We believe every student deserves access to trustworthy guidance, regardless of background or ability to pay.