***The Official Personal Statement Reader List 2010***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Please move me to temporarily unavailable. If you haven't heard back from me yet, I will get your PS's back to you asap.

Members don't see this ad.

hi all...so I am new to this forum...recently decided about going to medical school so just starting the process...i was happy to see that i can actually get help here with the process...I am having a thought time with my personal statement so I thought I would ask for help
To say a little about me...I am at UPENN, have a gpa of 3.7 overall and science and taking MCATs in a month...I have always been good at taking tests so I am not worried as much about the MCATs, more with the rest of my application...I have basicallt done all science in college and have very little experience with writing decent essays ans such...i am close to finishing my personal statement and was wondering who I would contact to have it proofread...I welcome any opinions on it as eveyrhting is helpful...as I said I have a lot of problems wiht writing essays, and not being from US originally doesn't help either...and help wiht content, syntax, grammar or anything else woudl eb greatly appreciated?
so waht should i do now (lol)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Please add me to temporarily unavailable. Thanks!

Add me to the temporarily unvailable list. I have too many PSes to go through.

I have been accepted to medical school. I will be glad to read your PS and give you feedback (mostly on content). Private message me your PS.

Please move me to unavailable. Trying to get caught up on the personal statements I have now.

I have written several essays over the past few years for scholarships and grad school. I'm willing to read personal statements for content and provide feedback. PM me.

Could anyone please post a link to every reader's profile? It's inconvenient to dig out this thread to find them.....

hi all...so I am new to this forum...recently decided about going to medical school so just starting the process...i was happy to see that i can actually get help here with the process...I am having a thought time with my personal statement so I thought I would ask for help
To say a little about me...I am at UPENN, have a gpa of 3.7 overall and science and taking MCATs in a month...I have always been good at taking tests so I am not worried as much about the MCATs, more with the rest of my application...I have basicallt done all science in college and have very little experience with writing decent essays ans such...i am close to finishing my personal statement and was wondering who I would contact to have it proofread...I welcome any opinions on it as eveyrhting is helpful...as I said I have a lot of problems wiht writing essays, and not being from US originally doesn't help either...and help wiht content, syntax, grammar or anything else woudl eb greatly appreciated?
so waht should i do now (lol)?

Go ahead and PM someone on the list :) The way this works is YOU contact THEM.

Could anyone please post a link to every reader's profile? It's inconvenient to dig out this thread to find them.....

Oh boy, that's a task... I'll do it, but I'm not going to bother with the readers on the temporarily unavailable list.

There, done :) Also, to anyone still waiting to hear back from me, again I apologize for being so slow... my goal is to get all caught up today, or by the latest, tomorrow.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, could I please be removed from the reader list?
Thanks!

I emailed several ppl off of the current list last week and got no response, so I figured I'd try here. Is there anyone out there to read and edit?

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Im available to read also, just remember though that the PS readers are probably flooded at this time of year so thats maybe why none could get back :)

PM me as well. Least I can do as people read mine last year.

Hi guys, I wonder if you guys can also take a look on mine? Thank you in advance :laugh:

im free also. pm me and i'll send you my email

I emailed several ppl off of the current list last week and got no response, so I figured I'd try here. Is there anyone out there to read and edit?

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Merging with the Official PS Readers thread.

Also, because of comments like these that there are a lot of people on this list that are inactive, I'm going to send a PM to all of the readers asking if you are still interested in receiving PSs to review. Please simply respond yes or no so I can know whether I should leave you on the list. If I don't hear from you in, say, 48 hours, I'm going to remove you from the list until I do hear from you. Please don't respond in-thread, just respond to the PM :)

Of course, if anyone NEW wants to be added to the readers list, please do reply in-thread :)

Last edited:
suggestion for PS writers- when you email your personal statements to readers, put your SDN user name in the document title to make it easier :)

suggestion for PS writers- when you email your personal statements to readers, put your SDN user name in the document title to make it easier :)

Definitely. Thank you :):) (I usually save all the PSes to my computer under the username for editing, then I delete after I've edited it).

Definitely. Thank you :):) (I usually save all the PSes to my computer under the username for editing, then I delete after I've edited it).

I agree with this too :) In fact, I think I'll edit the rules in the first post so hopefully more people will do this...

I posted a thread about getting help with my personal statement and actually got a willing reader. That thread has been replaced by the readers list and lost that volunteer. I'm still getting no responses to my PMs to those available on that list.... what to do?

Thanks in advance.

I posted a thread about getting help with my personal statement and actually got a willing reader. That thread has been replaced by the readers list and lost that volunteer. I'm still getting no responses to my PMs to those available on that list.... what to do?

Thanks in advance.

PM more people who listed their usernames on the PS reader list.

You're not supposed to start a new thread to ask people to read your PS. You're supposed to contact the people on the PS reader list and wait for somebody to reply to you.

You can PM it to me, I'll take a look.

Thanks in advance.

If we let everyone have their own thread asking for people to read their Personal Statement, the whole forum would quickly be swamped by these kinds of threads; that's why we don't allow these kinds of threads. Please PM users from the Personal Statement Readers list only and don't start threads soliciting readers.

This thread is also being merged into the Personal Statement Readers List thread.

Thank guys.... I was looking for what wrote but couldn't seem to find it. LOL- I started freaking out. I PMed some of you who responded. THANK YOU very much. :)

I'm willing to help too! It was a big help having mine read over last year, and I'd be happy to return the favor to those in the process now!

Hey, I PMed a lot of you guys with my PS. Let me know if anyone else would be willing to read.

please take me off the list. I will be out of the country in a few days on vacation and will be asked to be put back on the list when I am back in mid june. Thanks!

:)

I just want to give a suggestion to people who're wanting to have their PS's read. Some of the readers might disagree with me, but you get to see my opinion anyway. :p

When I was reading statements last year, I strongly preferred that the person send me a Word document rather than paste a copy of the statement into a PM. The PM system screws up the formatting like crazy and can make editing a real chore. Emailing doc files back and forth, however, is no sweat. I had posted my gmail account in this thread, so obtaining a reader's email account may require an extra step for most. Perhaps it will be worthwhile on both ends. It's also generally more courteous to ask if someone will read your PS rather than asking with an attached copy, not that manners are really that important since attaching the PS in the first go really does save a a decent amount of effort on both people's parts. Just a thought.

I just want to give a suggestion to people who're wanting to have their PS's read. Some of the readers might disagree with me, but you get to see my opinion anyway. :p

When I was reading statements last year, I strongly preferred that the person send me a Word document rather than paste a copy of the statement into a PM. The PM system screws up the formatting like crazy and can make editing a real chore. Emailing doc files back and forth, however, is no sweat. I had posted my gmail account in this thread, so obtaining a reader's email account may require an extra step for most. Perhaps it will be worthwhile on both ends. It's also generally more courteous to ask if someone will read your PS rather than asking with an attached copy, not that manners are really that important since attaching the PS in the first go really does save a a decent amount of effort on both people's parts. Just a thought.

Definitely agreed on both counts :thumbup:

Anyone available to read? I was gonna PM mmmcdowe but it looks like they have enough on their plate! PM me or let me know!

Thanks

I am available to read personal statements for content and grammar.
Credentials:
I consider myself to be a strong writer and I have a knack for creative and sincere writing. Since these are the things I think are most important for the personal statement, you will see it a bit in my critique. I had several interviewers comment on the strength of my personal statement and gained multiple acceptances.
Good luck to those of you applying:luck:

Anyone available to read? I was gonna PM mmmcdowe but it looks like they have enough on their plate! PM me or let me know!

Thanks

Please PM users on the list rather than soliciting in-thread; in theory, everyone on the list should be willing to read, and with the current cleaning up of the list that's going on, the theory should be approaching closer to reality.

I am willing to read PS. I generally look for flow and content. PM me and I will definitely respond in a timely manner.

quick question:

when it says 5300 characters does it include spaces or not?

thanks guys.

Since we are offering smidgeons of advice in the thread, here's one for all writers.

The amount of time that your PS will be read is very minimal. Adcom members are not going to read a paragraph and then muse deeply on what you might have gotten out of this or that experience. I would recommend that when you tell a story, you finish off with an analysis that answers one or more of these questions.

How did this experience increase your interest in medicine, or how did this instill an interest (if it was your first inkling)?
How did this emotionally empact you, and what did you learn from it/ how will it make you bettter?
What did you learn from this experience?
How did this experience effect your philosophy about medicine, being a doctor, a doctor's responsibilities, the difficulty of being a doctor, dealing with patients, etc?
How will this experience make you a better doctor/applicant/medical student/community member/mentor/researcher/etc?

I'll volunteer to read and constructively critique ur PS..

As a Scientist I do a lot of technical writing, and I'll focus on grammar, logical flow, coherence and cogency...

Goodluck:luck::luck:

I'll read a few. I don't have any professional editing experience, but I have a decent eye for grammar/spelling. I'll also give my personal thoughts on the content.

I'd like to have mine read too, so I figured I'd contribute a bit :)

Status
Not open for further replies.