***The Official Univ, of Maryland Class of 2017 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

What do you mean the numbers they have accepted vs. the numbers they have interviewed? Have they interviewed a lot of people and not given out many acceptances?

At the beginning of the process I was under the impression that UMB was somewhat like Tufts and gave acceptances to 80% of those interviewed. I also assumed that they accepted/filled most of their class very early on. Both of these assumptions are obviously incorrect, but in a way it's a good thing! It seems that they strive to give everyone a chance to interview for a seat before they start making the wait-list. Seems like they try to be as fair as possible.

Based of the numbers of the previous post, about 25% of those getting interviews end up getting accepted. Not too sure how this compares with the national average, but seems about right; not too low, but not high either.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone started looking for apartments yet? If so, which ones have you looked at and what are your opinions about them?

Also, is anyone doing HPSP also looking for a roommate?

At the beginning of the process I was under the impression that UMB was somewhat like Tufts and gave acceptances to 80% of those interviewed. I also assumed that they accepted/filled most of their class very early on. Both of these assumptions are obviously incorrect, but in a way it's a good thing! It seems that they strive to give everyone a chance to interview for a seat before they start making the wait-list. Seems like they try to be as fair as possible.

Based of the numbers of the previous post, about 25% of those getting interviews end up getting accepted. Not too sure how this compares with the national average, but seems about right; not too low, but not high either.

Their selection committee is very selective. I was really lucky to hear back in a week after my interview. I love their program and everything about the school.

Does anyone know about how many people are on this wait list, since it seems that the people who have been put on Wait list have been notified by now?

Does anyone know about how many people are on this wait list, since it seems that the people who have been put on Wait list have been notified by now?

Not all people get waitlisted that were interviewed. My friend last cycle did not get waitlisted and was rejected in summer after she finished her interview in November.

53x11tooth did you hear today? when did you interview? Thanks

No, I heard on Friday. Interviewed on Dec. 11th.

Members don't see this ad :)
heard on Friday?
Do the notifications always given out on Fridays?

Today was the last interview day. We were told our interviews were for a waitlist position and that UMD is pretty selective about who they put on their waitlist. I was very impressed by UMD and hope to hear favorably- good luck to everyone :)

Waitlisted. At my state school. At least I it into some other top programs.

When did you interview?

Nevermind found previous post.

Last edited:
Has anyone who interviewed last week heard back yet?

is the last interview date for sure only to be on the waitlist? seems like such a big waste of my day that i went but i love the school so much

i interviewd w/ you guys NYDano,O2ShootTheJ. No news for me either.

Their selection committee is very selective. I was really lucky to hear back in a week after my interview. I love their program and everything about the school.

In the same boat, definitely couldn't be happier with my decision to attend UMB.

I was also there and have been checking my email all day but nothing yet.

I also interviewed 3/5 and we were told that their waitlist is selective. Since it's the only option at this point, I would say a WL is a good thing.

Just received an waitlist email.

Man.. interview at 3 places. all waitlisted.

interviewed on 3/5 and just received a wait list email as well

i guess i am just a waitlist material haha!

Me too, guys! I guess they must have read our cries of desperation on sdn haha. :)

then i cry for acceptance now!!!!
PLEASE?

Sorry NYDano :(

does anyone know how large their waitlist is? Seems like a good number from here got on it today

waitlisted as well. Does anyone know how fast the waitlist move after Apr. 1st?

then i cry for acceptance now!!!!
PLEASE?

Lol yes, please dental gods hear our cry. Seriously though... I hope they can hear us.

Interviewed 2/27. Waitlisted.

Emory, we interviewed together at Penn on 2/28 (I think). I sat next to you. We had the same interviewer... :X

Sorry NYDano :(

does anyone know how large their waitlist is? Seems like a good number from here got on it today

Not too sure but could also be that a disproportionate number of us wl'ed are also on here skewing the statistics... although yes the number wl'ed on here does seem to be high.

waitlisted as well. Does anyone know how fast the waitlist move after Apr. 1st?

No clue but hopefully fast.

Do you think they'll continue sending out waitlist emails because Dr. Meehan said to expect our emails next week.

Dude when are you moving to MD? We gotta hang out.

Hopefully will be there for the beginning of July so that I can settle in and a get a good feel for the city. I've been considering the summer research experience, but not too sure since I've got some family obligations in June. How about you?

Hopefully will be there for the beginning of July so that I can settle in and a get a good feel for the city. I've been considering the summer research experience, but not too sure since I've got some family obligations in June. How about you?

I am moving to the city in June and planning to meet some of the classmates around summer. I am not thinking about doing summer research because I don't like research.

I am moving to the city in June and planning to meet some of the classmates around summer. I am not thinking about doing summer research because I don't like research.

I'm with you on the whole research thing; definitely not my passion that's for sure. I can't remember if it was paid or not (via a stipend), which could be huge as loans won't kick in until August and would help out with the summer expenses. That's the only really motivation for considering it, but it probably won't happen.

I'll be moving down in June as well, hopefully I can find some random job to get me by until August :D

Ugh sorry if this has been asked before but how quickly does UMD's waitlist move? Any speculations?

I'm not entirely too sure, but I speculate that only a few ~5 will get off the waitlist. It seems as if they notify applicants on Fridays, possibly because that is when the committee meets? Just based on this application cycle it seems like the people on the waitlist were notified either on 3/1/2013 or 3/8/2013. I would guess that if you were added to the waitlist on 3/1 you have a better chance of gaining acceptance? I would also assume that if you interviewed recently (in February) and were put on the waitlist, you are more likely to get in. My guess is that if you interviewed in 2012, the committee has had enough time to go over your application and choose not to give you a spot yet, compared to the recent interviews where only waitlist spots were available.
This is just pure speculation; does anyone else have any ideas? How many people do you think are on the waitlist?

Just got my letter for acceptance into the summer research program at maryland! Anyone else doing it??

Has anyone heard from the university? I just called and they didn't say much about offers made to people on the wait list. ugh this wait is killing me.

I had a post in a thread I made about d.5 vs UMD OOS and someone said their friend had been accepted off of the WL on the 2nd? I'm still kinda banking on Fridays though since I think that is when adcom meets

Hi guys. Is there anyone out there who heard anything from the admissions committee today? Just curious as the trend has been the friday seems to be the day when people hear of updates in their status.