***The Official UNLV Class of 2017 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Rejected from UNLV today, without interview. Good luck to everyone else, seems like a great school!

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations to all those that have been accepted to the UNLV SDM C/o 2017!!

I am a current student (Class of 2015) and I know how exciting it is to finally get that acceptance letter. I was constantly searching for what things I could do to hurry up the process of actually being in dental school, and was genuinely excited about them--even if that meant getting an eye exam.
I know that you are all very proud and happy to be accepted and probably would like to share your excitedment with those around you. This year the Class of 2015 is selling sweatshirts as a class fundraiser. You can purchase online at http://unlv-sdm.xilostech.com and have them shipped to you in March. Now that is way more exciting then a puff of air in your eye!

Congratulations again and remember to enjoy the free time with friends and family before school starts.

Cheers and thanks for your support!

Colleen

For those of you who are OOS, had pre-Demember interviews, and are still waiting for an answer, what do you think the chances of getting accepted now are? I called and was told to call back after March 10th when the admissions committee meets again. Any insight by anyone is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else interviewing tomorrow? I was told that it was the last interview of the application cycle this year.

For those of you who are OOS, had pre-Demember interviews, and are still waiting for an answer, what do you think the chances of getting accepted now are? I called and was told to call back after March 10th when the admissions committee meets again. Any insight by anyone is appreciated!

Thanks for the heads up about when the committee meets again!

Here are some things I wrote down from the interview presentations last week for anyone interested. This info is for the 2013 application cycle and is current as of Feb 15 (final interview day), which was provided by Dr. Capurro:

2084 applicants; 80 in-state and 2004 out-of-state.
451 applicants invited for interview, 150 of those interviewed (plus those that interviewed last Friday) are still under consideration.
66 applicants have placed a deposit ($750 first round deposit due within 15 days of offer, May 1st is second round deposit of $1000); 23 in-state and 43 out-of-state out of the 66 holding spots, there are 13 acceptance offers that the committee is still waiting on.

The admissions committee meets second week of March; the class is expected to be full by late April / early May.

Here are some things I wrote down from the interview presentations last week for anyone interested. This info is for the 2013 application cycle and is current as of Feb 15 (final interview day), which was provided by Dr. Capurro:

2084 applicants; 80 in-state and 2004 out-of-state.
451 applicants invited for interview, 150 of those interviewed (plus those that interviewed last Friday) are still under consideration.
66 applicants have placed a deposit ($750 first round deposit due within 15 days of offer, May 1st is second round deposit of $1000); 23 in-state and 43 out-of-state out of the 66 holding spots, there are 13 acceptance offers that the committee is still waiting on.

The admissions committee meets second week of March; the class is expected to be full by late April / early May.

Thanks for the info! Do you mean that they have sent out 13 acceptances that they are waiting to hear back from, or do they have 13 more acceptances to give out? I ask because I think they admit 80 students, which means if they have sent out 13 other acceptances, that the class will be just about full if those 13 accept.

Thanks for the info! Do you mean that they have sent out 13 acceptances that they are waiting to hear back from, or do they have 13 more acceptances to give out? I ask because I think they admit 80 students, which means if they have sent out 13 other acceptances, that the class will be just about full if those 13 accept.

Hey JP,

Yes, there are 13 acceptances that they're waiting to hear from (confirmation of enrollment is 15 days to submit $750 deposit). Whatever is left from that round will be available again to the admissions committee in the second week of March. If all 13 accept then that would mean the class is pretty much full but looking at the last two cycles there is a healthy amount of movement on the wait list. 17 out of 37 on the wait list matriculated last year and even more in the 2011 cycle.

Are you in-state or out-of-state?

I'm OOS, hoping for a miracle lol

Miracles happen! I'm OOS and out of the 17 schools I applied to, UNLV is the only school that I received an interview invite from (interviewed in November), and I was accepted on Dec. 3rd! Don't lose hope!!

Just interviewed at UNLV yesterday and Dr. Ancajas wanted us to post the correct formula to predict if your getting in or not. It is made up of two parts, part on is your DAT scores and GPA:

PART 1
((CUM GPA + SCI GPA)/8)x(RC/30)x((BIO+QR+OCHEM)/90)x75=A

PART 2
This is your interview performance: Student and faculty interview you and give you a 1-5 with 5 being the best applicant possible.

((Student interview)/5) x (Faculty interview/5) x 25 = B

A+B = 100 max

Those that have a 50-55 are competitive and those with a 55+ are pretty much in...

Here is the admissions formula above for anyone interested. I quoted it from a post in 2007 bu the formula is still the same.

Does that mean the admissions committee is meeting this week and that we could call on Monday, Mar 11, to check our status?

I don't know exactly when they are meeting but I figure if we call after the 10th we should get an answer (accept, reject, or waitlist).

Members don't see this ad :)
I was told by Dr. Ancajas that the admissions committee will meet March 12th and that we can call in the afternoon or anytime on the 13th.

I don't know exactly when they are meeting but I figure if we call after the 10th we should get an answer (accept, reject, or waitlist).

I was told by Dr. Ancajas that the admissions committee will meet March 12th and that we can call in the afternoon or anytime on the 13th.

Appreciate the heads up from both of you!

Good luck everyone! I am crossing my fingers for you!

Did anyone hear anything from UNLV today? Do we know if the adcom met again this week?

Did anyone hear anything from UNLV today? Do we know if the adcom met again this week?

They met on Tuesday, you can call and they will tell you your status. I called and they told me no decision has been made for my status but I was told 10 applicants were accepted on Tuesday.

i called to check my status and i was told im waitlisted...

anyone else on the waitlist??

Hi everyone, congrats to those who are accepted and good luck to those who are still waiting :) I will be attending UNLV this fall and would like to rent out 2 spare rooms in my house. It's a good-sized house (very cute and clean!) about 18 minutes from our dental school in a safe neighborhood with brand new paints, carpets and furniture. Only 3 minutes from shopping centers (McDonald's, Smith's, gym, etc) The rent would be 425 (water, high-speed wireless internet, gas, sewer and security system included) plus electricity. The house is also secured with alarm system. You will have your own room (bed & desk provided) and share the bathroom with another roommate. Common areas include kitchen, living room, study room, laundry room and patio. All appliances are free for use. Message me if you're interested. I have uploaded pictures of my house to my facebook and the album is visible to the public (no need to add me first). Feel free to contact me through FB message as well. Thank you!
Here's the link:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152740777385287.1073741825.571740286

so there is going to be a tuition increase..can any future or current UNLV dental students find out how much it is going to increase by each year? Thanks so much.

does anyone know when the admissions committee meets again?

I was told early April/the second week of April. So hopefully by the end of next week we can have some good news.

I declined my spot so someone should be getting a phone call soon! It's a really great school and I wish you all luck!

GOOD LUCK to those of you who are still waiting for the decision! I can't wait to meet my new classmates!! Don't forget to join our facebook group :thumbup:

Just called 20 min ago and they told me that no decision has been made, I interviewed the beginning of NOV... does anyone know if they are making an actual waitlist? or do they just keep giving everyone "no decision"?

Just called them, I got waitlisted. I'll know by the end of the month if I'm in or not. Anyone else got news from UNLV??

Hey guys! I called this morning and found out I was accepted today. During the last admissions meeting I was "no decision" and I interviewed in February. I wish you all luck!:thumbup:

Just called them, I got waitlisted. I'll know by the end of the month if I'm in or not. Anyone else got news from UNLV??
I also found out I am waitlisted today! She said that they have to wait until the 26th to hear back from the people who had been accepted in the latest round, so the waitlist likely won't move until then. Anybody have any ideas on how fast the UNLV waitlist usually moves??

Also, they sent out wait list letters in the mail today

I was waitlisted in March... then I called today and found out that I am accepted! Aadsas was updated last night. I wish everyone the best of luck!

I was waitlisted in March... then I called today and found out that I am accepted! Aadsas was updated last night. I wish everyone the best of luck!
Nice, congrats. That's weird though that they alter the waitlist at different stages along the way instead of accepting everyone they want, making a complete ranked waitlist, and rejecting everyone else

Yes, I agree. It sounds like the waitlist is a sure thing as long as a spot is open. And seeing as how we are coming to the end, no response is a soft reject, unless they clear the entire waitlist...magic 8 ball says unlikely.

I called today, and the next meeting has been pushed back to June 11th. It is also against their policy to reveal your rank on the waitlist, so if you are on the waitlist it is still a mystery as to whether or not an acceptance call might be on its way in mid-June. If I am #1 I would feel comfortable, although since I have to assume I'm at the bottom, being comfortable is not in the plans lol. Since the already went through the initial waitlist, it is a mystery as to how much this current waitlist will also move.

Is there a difference between alternate list and wait list? Did anyone else receive a letter in the mail saying you are on the alternate list and inquire whether you still want to be considered for admission?

Is there a difference between alternate list and wait list? Did anyone else receive a letter in the mail saying you are on the alternate list and inquire whether you still want to be considered for admission?
Its the same list

I called today, and the next meeting has been pushed back to June 11th. It is also against their policy to reveal your rank on the waitlist, so if you are on the waitlist it is still a mystery as to whether or not an acceptance call might be on its way in mid-June. If I am #1 I would feel comfortable, although since I have to assume I'm at the bottom, being comfortable is not in the plans lol. Since the already went through the initial waitlist, it is a mystery as to how much this current waitlist will also move.

why is there another meeting!?... if you are waitlisted, doesn't that mean they already reviewed your application and decided that you qualify and its just a matter of available spots. Maybe that june 11th meeting is for potential spots that might open up if some early admitted people decide to go somewhere else even though they've paid all their deposits and everything. Its not uncommon for people to get late acceptances from a more preferred school.

why is there another meeting!?... if you are waitlisted, doesn't that mean they already reviewed your application and decided that you qualify and its just a matter of available spots. Maybe that june 11th meeting is for potential spots that might open up if some early admitted people decide to go somewhere else even though they've paid all their deposits and everything. Its not uncommon for people to get late acceptances from a more preferred school.
From what I understand this is how it works. They have meetings every month or so. Their last few meetings have been to form the waitlist, accept people who recently interviewed, and accept other people from the early waitlists depending on how many people dropped. At this next meeting they will look at how many people dropped, and then accept the corresponding number from the waitlist. Unlike other schools, they don't send out acceptances to people on the waitlist immediately when a spot opens up. They wait until the meeting to send out those acceptances. So if you are #1 on the waitlist and somebody drops, you won't find out until after the next meeting.

If I were you, I wouldn't choose UNLV. I just finished my first year and I regret choosing this school over others. The curriculum system is HORRIBLE. Instructors don't treat you as a professional student; they treat you like a 15 yr old kid, such as walking around the class and checking your laptop to make sure if you are paying attention and then go to the Dean and complain for no reason. I never forget my orientation day that they scared the sh***t out of everyone and all of us were so depressed for weeks instead of being excited that "hey we finally made it".
There is something about curriculum that makes the students really stressed out. The grading system for practical courses are so subjective and they fail you easily. Even though my undergrad gpa is 3.71, I have had a hard year to deal with.
Do some research before choosing your school. and choose the right school.

at least u made it thru the first year, u must realize there are people that are way worse than those faculty members, ie patients. It makes u stronger overall so be glad u have experience with these "difficult" people.

If I were you, I wouldn't choose UNLV. I just finished my first year and I regret choosing this school over others. The curriculum system is HORRIBLE. Instructors don't treat you as a professional student; they treat you like a 15 yr old kid, such as walking around the class and checking your laptop to make sure if you are paying attention and then go to the Dean and complain for no reason. I never forget my orientation day that they scared the sh***t out of everyone and all of us were so depressed for weeks instead of being excited that "hey we finally made it".
There is something about curriculum that makes the students really stressed out. The grading system for practical courses are so subjective and they fail you easily. Even though my undergrad gpa is 3.71, I have had a hard year to deal with.

I remember at my interview the guy that seems to get involved in a little bit of everything (the very outgoing one) said this: "The biggest motivation to learning is fear." This was after he praised the teaching style of a clinic faculty member that essentially humiliated students publicly for their mistakes. That wouldn't keep me from going to the school, but it did raise a red flag.

bad finals week?

finals week? First of all you will have more than 12 courses per semester. So the finals would take more than three weeks in a row. :laugh: and if we count midterms, you will start taking exams from the first week of school through the end of 4 months. :p...One week of dental school is equal to two or three months of undergrad.

I remember at my interview the guy that seems to get involved in a little bit of everything (the very outgoing one) said this: "The biggest motivation to learning is fear." This was after he praised the teaching style of a clinic faculty member that essentially humiliated students publicly for their mistakes. That wouldn't keep me from going to the school, but it did raise a red flag.

Yes. He is right. Clinic faculty members humiliate upper students easily if they make mistakes -in front of patients or first-year students.

finals week? First of all you will have more than 12 courses per semester. So the finals would take more than three weeks in a row. :laugh: and if we count midterms, you will start taking exams from the first week of school through the end of 4 months. :p...One week of dental school is equal to two or three months of undergrad.

I mean, no one said it was going to be easy. If it were, then everyone would be doing it.