***The Official USC Class of 2021 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got accepted today via email as well! I'm debating between USC and UIC. Both have PBL learning style, so I'm not struggling with that. Can anybody comment on the general learning environment/living style/how well USC prepare you to become a dentist? Any comments are greatly appreciated!
Where are you living right now? Does location have any pull for you?

Members don't see this ad.

Where are you living right now? Does location have any pull for you?

I currently live in Chicago and staying here is a very safe and stable option. On the other hand I've always wanted to try the west coast. It's definitely exciting. It just concerns me a little in how well new graduates will be able to pay off the debt.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am currently a 4th year dental student at USC and I have had a great experience overall. Any private dental school is going to be really expensive but I think a really high-caliber institution like USC is worth the cost and ROI. I will be entering a specialty program this summer immediately after graduation as will many of my classmates so that bodes well for the school and how well it prepares it. Our NBDE I and II pass rates have been really high (like in the 95% range) so that shows that PBL is effective.

Ask me questions you have about the school, curriculum, life in LA, etc., and I will do my best to answer them. Good luck everyone.

Reactions: 3 users
Can any current USC dental students comment on the effectiveness of PBL learning style? Also note the disadvantages/advantages of this type of learning and what makes it difficult or not?

This concerns me when it comes down to having to take boards. Will students be prepared? If you know, could you please note the boards Part I passing rate for USC?

I really enjoyed the PBL process but I also understand some of the skepticism around it. A bad apple can really spoil the bunch, so part of the issue is being serious about the cases and holding your groupmates to a certain standard. Some people try to do the bare minimum and have to be called out for it... you take your own education more into your own hands. I did well with this style. I found a small study group of like minded people to discuss the cases and study for the exams and we have all done very well (dean's list, specialty interviews/acceptances, passing boards, etc.).

I must also say that I had a strong and broad background in the sciences and this put me at an advantage. I noticed that my classmates with weaker science preparation from high school and college had a more difficult time getting up to speed. That being said, people passing boards has not been an issue. The way the tests are designed and the way USC implements organized review sessions and provides materials to study for these exams makes up for it. In terms of the NBDE II, that was a breeze for me because I knew all the clinical stuff so well. USC places a really strong emphasis on clinical education like understanding materials, preparation design, lab fabrication procedures, etc.

I really like the flexibility of studying on my time, at my own pace, and with people I enjoyed studying with rather than being stuck listening to a lecturer for hours upon hours each week. That being said, we still receive classroom lectures on dental related subjects. We still had classes and lectures on removable prosthodontics, crown/bridge, anesthesia, and all of the specialties like endo, ortho, and perio.

I am going into a specialty, but I feel like I have a broad range of clinical experience and skill that I know I wouldn't have if I attended another dental school (and I have spoken to friends who attended other schools.) The outside clinics and rotations like LA County, Skid Row, Queenscare, and Mobile Clinic give you lots of clinical experience with patients outside the dental school setting and I have found this extremely helpful in balancing out my education and learning from multiple faculty.

I highly recommend USC for dental school and I am glad I came here. Yes, every school has its eccentricities and frustrations, but I have been happy overall. Yes, it is expensive and will take some time to pay off, but I honestly think it will be worth it.

Feel free to send follow-up questions and I will do my best to respond.

Reactions: 6 users
I am currently a 4th year dental student at USC and I have had a great experience overall. Any private dental school is going to be really expensive but I think a really high-caliber institution like USC is worth the cost and ROI. I will be entering a specialty program this summer immediately after graduation as will many of my classmates so that bodes well for the school and how well it prepares it. Our NBDE I and II pass rates have been really high (like in the 95% range) so that shows that PBL is effective.

Ask me questions you have about the school, curriculum, life in LA, etc., and I will do my best to answer them. Good luck everyone.

Hi! Thanks for this :D

How do grades work?
Do you have tests? Or is the majority of your grade group work?
How does ranking work if PBL?

Thanks again!

Just got the background check email. Anyone know how long it takes them to complete that?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I really enjoyed the PBL process but I also understand some of the skepticism around it. A bad apple can really spoil the bunch, so part of the issue is being serious about the cases and holding your groupmates to a certain standard. Some people try to do the bare minimum and have to be called out for it... you take your own education more into your own hands. I did well with this style. I found a small study group of like minded people to discuss the cases and study for the exams and we have all done very well (dean's list, specialty interviews/acceptances, passing boards, etc.).

I must also say that I had a strong and broad background in the sciences and this put me at an advantage. I noticed that my classmates with weaker science preparation from high school and college had a more difficult time getting up to speed. That being said, people passing boards has not been an issue. The way the tests are designed and the way USC implements organized review sessions and provides materials to study for these exams makes up for it. In terms of the NBDE II, that was a breeze for me because I knew all the clinical stuff so well. USC places a really strong emphasis on clinical education like understanding materials, preparation design, lab fabrication procedures, etc.

I really like the flexibility of studying on my time, at my own pace, and with people I enjoyed studying with rather than being stuck listening to a lecturer for hours upon hours each week. That being said, we still receive classroom lectures on dental related subjects. We still had classes and lectures on removable prosthodontics, crown/bridge, anesthesia, and all of the specialties like endo, ortho, and perio.

I am going into a specialty, but I feel like I have a broad range of clinical experience and skill that I know I wouldn't have if I attended another dental school (and I have spoken to friends who attended other schools.) The outside clinics and rotations like LA County, Skid Row, Queenscare, and Mobile Clinic give you lots of clinical experience with patients outside the dental school setting and I have found this extremely helpful in balancing out my education and learning from multiple faculty.

I highly recommend USC for dental school and I am glad I came here. Yes, every school has its eccentricities and frustrations, but I have been happy overall. Yes, it is expensive and will take some time to pay off, but I honestly think it will be worth it.

Feel free to send follow-up questions and I will do my best to respond.
Hey! Thank you so much for this info! It's so helpful!

Hi! Thanks for this :D

How do grades work?
Do you have tests? Or is the majority of your grade group work?
How does ranking work if PBL?

Thanks again!

The PBL part of the curriculum is mostly for the basic biomedical background stuff. Each case is around 4 or 5 sessions, some shorter, some longer. For these, you meet as a group with a faculty "facilitator" and you discuss the part of the case for that day and how it fits with what you know from previous sections. From that blurb, you come up with what the facts are and what ideas/hypotheses you have about what might be going on with the patient. From there, you come up with a list of "learning needs" that each member of the group has to go out and research and send out what they find to the rest of the group so that the next time you meet, you use this new info to build on what you know and the next part of the case. After each case is completed, an expert in the area will host a an hour long presentation/lecture to go over the most important topics and "take-home" messages of the case.

(FYI, we also do have a condensed Head and Neck Anatomy lecture course in the summer between 1st and 2nd year with cadaver dissection at the medical school, so you don't have to learn all of that from PBL.)

You get graded in PBL in each case by the facilitator based on your participation, quality of learning needs, and overall grasp of the case. During each trimester (USC is on a trimester, not a semester schedule), you have midterms and finals that are based on these cases. They are difficult in a sense because you have no single textbook with a set number of chapters to study, you just know which topics you need to study. I found studying in a group really helpful for this.

In addition to PBL and PBL tests, you have separate dental classes and exams. For example, second trimester of first year you take a Composite course with a lab and lecture component. There are practical exams where you get graded on your preparations and restorations as well as written exams on the concepts.

In terms of ranking, supposedly they don't rank us, or at least they don't tell us if they do. Since you do get letter grades for all the courses, you still get a GPA. This wasn't an issue for me when applying to specialty programs so don't worry about it.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 users
Do you guys think they'll still send another batch of acceptances on Feb.1, like they said they would?

Do you guys think they'll still send another batch of acceptances on Feb.1, like they said they would?

Hey, I think the acceptances they sent couple of days ago were for the feb 1st batch :/ or maybe a lot of ppl declined dec 1st offer so they had to send out another batch of acceptance sooner... who knows..
Been waiting since Nov. Hate this anxious wait!

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted on Monday as well but I have decided to decline the offer. Hope it will go to one of our fellow sdners.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey! Thank you so much for this info! It's so helpful!

A little more info that I just sent in a PM, thought it might help someone else with their decision so here it is:

I ultimately chose USC because I liked the focus on clinical education and their reputation (which I totally understand now that I am near graduation) for producing excellent clinicians. They make sure you get a handpiece in your hand right away and really focus on the technical aspects of dentistry and developing hand skills, attention to detail, and understanding the principles behind different materials and procedures. The materials, instruments, and techniques are cutting edge: we learn and actually treat patients with newer technology like CAD/CAM restorations and the placement and restoration of implants (in certain cases, DDS students actually get to place implants for their own patients.)

I also really liked the concept of PBL and small-group learning. I came from a small undergrad university and had just finished a master's degree so I was used to working in small groups to discuss research and ideas. I am really thankful that I didn't have to spend an entire year sitting in anatomy lectures with med students... we learned head and neck anatomy with cadavers and lectures, but other anatomy and physiology we learned through PBL and I think I have a good enough grasp on those subjects without having it relentlessly beaten into my skull through a brutal anatomy course. That time was much better spent (in my opinion) learning and practicing dental subjects like composite restorations, crown and bridge, and implants.

USC is a great school and I would choose it again in a second. I have definitely had rough days and weeks in the program, but I have never regretted my decision and couldn't imagine going anywhere else.

Reactions: 5 users
A little more info that I just sent in a PM, thought it might help someone else with their decision so here it is:

I ultimately chose USC because I liked the focus on clinical education and their reputation (which I totally understand now that I am near graduation) for producing excellent clinicians. They make sure you get a handpiece in your hand right away and really focus on the technical aspects of dentistry and developing hand skills, attention to detail, and understanding the principles behind different materials and procedures. The materials, instruments, and techniques are cutting edge: we learn and actually treat patients with newer technology like CAD/CAM restorations and the placement and restoration of implants (in certain cases, DDS students actually get to place implants for their own patients.)

I also really liked the concept of PBL and small-group learning. I came from a small undergrad university and had just finished a master's degree so I was used to working in small groups to discuss research and ideas. I am really thankful that I didn't have to spend an entire year sitting in anatomy lectures with med students... we learned head and neck anatomy with cadavers and lectures, but other anatomy and physiology we learned through PBL and I think I have a good enough grasp on those subjects without having it relentlessly beaten into my skull through a brutal anatomy course. That time was much better spent (in my opinion) learning and practicing dental subjects like composite restorations, crown and bridge, and implants.

USC is a great school and I would choose it again in a second. I have definitely had rough days and weeks in the program, but I have never regretted my decision and couldn't imagine going anywhere else.

Do many students choose to go for a military scholarship? How are the graduates planning to pay off their loans? I want to hear from a student :)

We started out with a presentation about the school and then broke into groups for a mock PBL session. In those groups, you go around and answer two ice breaker questions. One is more about you and the other relates more to dental school. Then you do the PBL session which was straightforward- they aren't trying to trick you with anything. Then you have a writing assignment. They give you a piece of paper and everyone has a different question and they give you time to complete it. You have lunch with students, go to a financial aid info sesh and then get a tour of the school. I was there from 9- 4:30 so it was a pretty long day but it made a lasting impression on me- loved it!
Is the writing topic on the interview day about a hot topic in dentistry or is it just personal experiences/thoughts?

Is the writing topic on the interview day about a hot topic in dentistry or is it just personal experiences/thoughts?
It's a general question about your opinion on something- much like an ice breaker question. I believe it's purpose is more to see how eloquently you write and how quickly you can think on your feet.

Does anybody know if USC is still giving out interviews?

Anyone think there will be more activity by the end of the week (we are finally entering February!) :shrug:

Round 2 of acceptances should be coming out tomorrow (assuming the last batch was just for those whose original offers were declined).

I also received an acceptance on the 23rd! Yay! :)

Reactions: 2 users
The whole day is going to be spent refreshing my email...
I think I'm upwards of 30 refreshes already. Keep going back and forth from SDN to email. *nervous laughter*
Hey guys, I just had my interview as USC today. So we were told that the timeline is that they send approximately 50 acceptances from Dec to Mar, 36 from Mar to May, and 36 from May to Jul. A lot of people think all of the acceptances come on the 1st of the month, but in reality it is more of a continuous process throughout the entirety of the span of the months. Just wanted to let you all know so you all aren't sitting impatiently refreshing your email.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Hey guys, I just had my interview as USC today. So we were told that the timeline is that they send approximately 50 acceptances from Dec to Mar, 36 from Mar to May, and 36 from May to Jul. A lot of people think all of the acceptances come on the 1st of the month, but in reality it is more of a continuous process throughout the entirety of the span of the months. Just wanted to let you all know so you all aren't sittinrg impatiently refreshing your email.
Where were you 8 hours ago!!?!??! Just kidding, bless you for this info. People were accepted on Feb 2nd last year in the class of 2020 thread so I was hoping for some good news tomorrow but I need to relax I'm going insane.

Reactions: 3 users
does anyone know if USC still gives out interviews this late?

Just called them and they said they'll be giving out more acceptances in the middle of February and will continue to do so up until March. From the way she was talking, it seemed like they do have a ranked waitlist in place, but do not let applicants applicants know their position on it.

Reactions: 1 user
Just called them and they said they'll be giving out more acceptances in the middle of February and will continue to do so up until March. From the way she was talking, it seemed like they do have a ranked waitlist in place, but do not let applicants applicants know their position on it.
Thank you for calling! I so badly want good news from them before putting down a deposit elsewhere :((

Hey all, received an interview recently... Can anyone who has had their interview already recommend a hotel close to campus? Would prefer one walking distance, but if it's a short drive/cab ride that works too. Thanks in advance! :)

Congratulations again to those of you accepted on January 23rd! Would you mind telling me how long they gave you to put down the first deposit? Is it still 30 days? Thanks so much!

For people who have already interviewed here, can you recommend how to prepare for the interview? I've only had traditional style interviews so far and I'm not sure how to go about preparing for this one because of its unique style

For people who have already interviewed here, can you recommend how to prepare for the interview? I've only had traditional style interviews so far and I'm not sure how to go about preparing for this one because of its unique style

Honestly, no preparation needed. The PBL interview style is different, but they're just looking to see if you can work well with others and will be an active participant in the learning style. Be yourself and don't stress! Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Congratulations again to those of you accepted on January 23rd! Would you mind telling me how long they gave you to put down the first deposit? Is it still 30 days? Thanks so much!

They give you one month from the day you receive your acceptance notification. At some point in February that will drop down to only 15 days from the day you receive the acceptance before the first installment is due.

Hi everyone, I just received an interview invite on 2/3 and the email said 'each session is limited to 20 to 30 participants.' For those who interviewed already, was your interview group this large? My interview dates are 2/14, 15, 21, and 22 btw. Thanks!

Hi everyone, I just received an interview invite on 2/3 and the email said 'each session is limited to 20 to 30 participants.' For those who interviewed already, was your interview group this large? My interview dates are 2/14, 15, 21, and 22 btw. Thanks!
Mine was about 20 people

What time does the group interview begin?

I was looking at the ADEA guide (which provides info for the 2013 entering class) and it states that that 114 out of state applicants were interviewed and 55 were accepted. I'm wondering if this ratio would still hold true and does this school have a good interview and acceptance ratio if anyone knows

I interviewed on 10/12 and I had 18 people total.
I was looking at the ADEA guide (which provides info for the 2013 entering class) and it states that that 114 out of state applicants were interviewed and 55 were accepted. I'm wondering if this ratio would still hold true and does this school have a good interview and acceptance ratio if anyone knows
Accepted or enrolled? I would imagine it'd be a lot more than that sinc USC puts every interviewee on the waitlist and that moves a lot as the cycle comes to an end.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.