*** The OFFICIAL USMC-TO-DOC thread ***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JMC_MarineCorps

Primum non nocere
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm calling you out MARINES.

I'm trying to to keep tabs on all the Marines-turned-docs that post on SDN. There aren't many of us, thus it shouldn't be too hard to keep up with one another. Please post here or PM with your story and progress. This includes residency folks and beyond as well, if ya'll don't mind.

I'll go first:

-Parris Island, 0311/8152 (Security Forces)
-North Island, San Diego (MCSFCo)
-Pendleton 2/1, WestPac '97, 15th MEU, USS Boxer (LHD-4)
-'93-'97, E-4
-Married 10 years
-2 kids, 7 and 3
-Biochem major/Occidental College
-2 years cancer clinical trials research/radioimmunotherapy

1st year student at COMP in Pomona, CA. So far so good. Want to match Ortho ot EM three years from now. (Whoops! -- edited 8 years later after I matched and nearly completed psychiatry residency!)

So I know we got Evo (by the way Evo, like the new avatar) and there is an old salt dog named Teufel around here. Panda Bear too.

Let's go gents, fall-in! If you're the quiet type...PM please. That'll work just as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey JMC, I ran across this funny avatar that had USMC in it and I did a double take. Im a former Marine too------>MWSS 371 MTOPS drove the LVS (dragon wagons)
West Coast Marine, went to boot camp in 96, got out in 00, did the comm. college thing, and am gonna graduate from UCLA this spring. So far I have acceptances from KCUMB (my first choice as of now), Nova, and LECOM.
I have a daughter also. Good to see other Marines doing well. I know too many who arent.

I just had to drop into this thread and say a huge THANK YOU for everything that you all have done and continue to do. I admire you for having the strength and the courage to do what you have done. I wish you all the best success and happiness in your future.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mr. E said:
Hey JMC, I ran across this funny avatar that had USMC in it and I did a double take. Im a former Marine too------>MWSS 371 MTOPS drove the LVS (dragon wagons)
West Coast Marine, went to boot camp in 96, got out in 00, did the comm. college thing, and am gonna graduate from UCLA this spring. So far I have acceptances from KCUMB (my first choice as of now), Nova, and LECOM.
I have a daughter also. Good to see other Marines doing well. I know too many who arent.

Semper Mr. E,

Glad you took the time to write. I was a community college transfer too, was actually suppossed to go to UCLA, but Oxy snatched me up at the last minute with their summer research program...and the rest is history. I'm a Bruin at heart though.

I'm definitely glad to see that you a few acceptances under your belt...that's the best position to be in. Feel free to drop a line anytime, PM or otherwise, if you have any questions about anything.

I lived in Missouri for 8 months right after my EAS -- took two semesters at Mizzou (Columbia), but my wife hated it out there so I brought the family back to SoCal.

All the best and stay in touch,

JMC

Let's go...any others? This is great! Evo, how bout you introduce yourself officially on this MOTIVATING thread :cool:

Can I get an "Ooo-rah!!" ??

-San Diego - "Hollywood" Marine
- MOS @ Dam Neck, Norfolk, VA --> 0231 (Intel).
-31st MEU Okinawa, Japan. (deployments all over the place), USS Belleau Wood (aka "The Death Star")
-III MEF G2, Okinawa. (deployments all over the place)
-Pendleton I MEF G2, (more deployments)
-Pendleton, MWSS 371 (Yo Mr. E!).

-Reserve work: JIATF-E, Key West, FL. :D
I MEF G2 --> "Deployment" to Hawaii for the summer. :D :D
-'91-'96 (AD), '97-'98 (Reserve), Sgt.

Just wrapped up my MS this month. Have already been accepted to DMU and waiting on (hopefully) a TX school to come through on 1 Feb. Wished I'd ditched my pride when I started college and asked for help with how to study. :oops: Damn pride got in the way. :oops:

Hey JMC, I never got to ride in the LHD class boat. Nice ride?

Mr. E, it looks like we were in the same unit for a while. Cool. Small world.

Oh, and JMC, I'll respond to that PM either today or tomorrow. Hope everyone had an outstanding Turkey day.

Oh, and does anyone play Halo or Halo 2? They have Marines of the future (+500 years) as non-player characters, and some of the things that they say are just so dead on. For example, there's one level where one Marine is freaking out about not having enough firepower to take on the enemy (aliens). The SMaj starts yelling about how, back in the day, the Corps didn't have sufficient firepower and each platoon had sticks.....and they had to share the sticks. :laugh: Of course, he then drops off the future's version of armor support.

Funny, but I really loved that part. And I realize that I won't have much time for this stuff once school starts. Gotta get it in now. :D

Oh! My!
There's lot's of testosterone floating around this thread. :D :D You go gents!
njbmd
(daughter of Army Air Corps sergeant)

njbmd said:
Oh! My!
There's lot's of testosterone floating around this thread. :D :D You go gents!
njbmd
(daughter of Army Air Corps sergeant)

Thrash yourself for polluting my thread. Mountain climbers now...push-ups, do it now move...side-straddle-hops...too slow get back.

Yah, well NJBMD is saltier than you and I put together, my man. :smuggrin:

Sir, yes sir,
I am dropping off my unopened toy at our local drop off. This is one of the highlights of my holiday season and one of the most wonderful things that you gentleman do for the community.

Gentlemen, the smoking lantern is lit!
njbmd :)

Any devildog who has spent a day under fire will not have a problem with my presence here.

US Navy Bootcamp Feb 90-April 90
US Navy Hospital Corps School Apr-July 90
Field Medical Service School Camp Johnson, Lejeune Graduation Nov 90
Operation Desert Shield/Storm 1st CEB and 7th ESB 90-91
Quantico Marine Base, The Basic School, Weapon's Training Btn 91-94

I've humped that f-in mortar plate, and walked the line while you guys sat on your asses swabbing your blisters. But I wouldn't trade those days for anything.

I know a lot of Marines who are docs now and many are in medical school as well.

Good luck guys.

PACtoDOC said:
Any devildog who has spent a day under fire will not have a problem with my presence here.

US Navy Bootcamp Feb 90-April 90
US Navy Hospital Corps School Apr-July 90
Field Medical Service School Camp Johnson, Lejeune Graduation Nov 90
Operation Desert Shield/Storm 1st CEB and 7th ESB 90-91
Quantico Marine Base, The Basic School, Weapon's Training Btn 91-94

I've humped that f-in mortar plate, and walked the line while you guys sat on your asses swabbing your blisters. But I wouldn't trade those days for anything.

I know a lot of Marines who are docs now and many are in medical school as well.

Good luck guys.

Don't forget that the Marines are a department of the Navy -- granted, they are the "MEN'S" department, but a department nonetheless :laugh: I love that one.

Of course you're welcome around these parts. Anyone Corpsman that has served with the Marines, and humped a mortar plate, has certainly payed his dues. There was a Corpsman in my infantry unit that was so mean and green that he wore "Charlies" with the Marines instead of whites everytime we had to man the rails.

If your Marine-turned-doc buds are on SDN, would you mind having them stop by and post. Thanks.

P.S. you didn't give any of your current info...what's your story now?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am currently a 3rd year medical student at TCOM in Texas. I am also a PA and still work as such. I took the long path

Corpsman->EMT-B->EMT-P->PA-C-->DO

My buddy Irish on here should be stopping by, as he is an MS4 and ex-DOC as well.

Parris Island: Graduated December 17 1983 MOS 1811 (Tanker)

Fort Knox, Kentucky: Armor Crewman Training Course, Graduated in March of 1984.

Okinawa, Japan: "C" Company, 1st Tracked Vehicle Battalion.

Camp Pendleton, California: "C" Company, 1st Tank Battalion.

Reenlisted in 1987 for MOS 0331 (Infantry Machine Gunner)

Camp Lejueune, North Carolina: "K" Company, 3rd Battalion, 8th Marines. Various positions including machine gunner, Squad Leader, Rifle Platoon Sergeant, Mortar Section Leader, and Weapons Platoon Sergeant. (I was OJT for the infantry MOS except that I was sent to SOI for two weeks of Mortar training and Infantry Squad Leader School.

Honorably discharged in the Spring of 1991.

Currently a fourth year medical student.

PACtoDOC said:
I am currently a 3rd year medical student at TCOM in Texas. I am also a PA and still work as such. I took the long path

Corpsman->EMT-B->EMT-P->PA-C-->DO

My buddy Irish on here should be stopping by, as he is an MS4 and ex-DOC as well.

Damn, that's along ass way to go about it, but better late than never I always say! That is good stuff though, thanks for sharing. I'l lbe looking up to you old salt dogs come boards and match time. Speaking of which, how did the COMLEX I go? Aslo, did you decide to take the USMLE? Just curious - I feel like I will have to in order to match for EM (at an allo facility obviously).

Panda Bear said:

Camp Lejueune, North Carolina: "K" Company, 3rd Battalion, 8th Marines. Various positions including machine gunner, Squad Leader, Rifle Platoon Sergeant, Mortar Section Leader, and Weapons Platoon Sergeant. (I was OJT for the infantry MOS except that I was sent to SOI for two weeks of Mortar training and Infantry Squad Leader School.

I love seeing enlisted guys (especially infantrymen!) get on the med school track...the senior guys would always say, "you'll be flippin' burgers when you get out!" Maybe they were just projecting their own fear/insecurity onto us. I don't know, but whatever it was, I always had to laugh at that one.

Thanks for sharing Panda Man. I have seen a few of your 'political' posts and they were rather eloquent for a former grunt -- I actually thought you might have been an officer.

So they had you for 8 years. I think you have the most time in service out of this distinguished group here. And anyone crazy enough to re-enlist in the infantry has my utmost respect! However, I think it is fair to say that as a tanker for the first go around, you didn't know what you were getting yourself into...or did you? :eek: Either way, you're hardcore in my book.

Hey so where are you in school? Damn, 4th year...we have some salt dogs around here. This is better than I expected.

JMC_MarineCorps said:
Damn, that's along ass way to go about it, but better late than never I always say! That is good stuff though, thanks for sharing. I'l lbe looking up to you old salt dogs come boards and match time. Speaking of which, how did the COMLEX I go? Aslo, did you decide to take the USMLE? Just curious - I feel like I will have to in order to match for EM (at an allo facility obviously).

Hey now JMC, check yourself!! :smuggrin: I am only 33, and I have been legally writing scripts as a PA since I was 27. And it really was not the long road at all. The only delay in my education came in my 4 years of military service, and my 4 years of practicing as a PA before I decided to go back and get the full monty. But in truth, in terms of practical ability as a clinician, I have been practicing medicine for years. This med school thing with the exception of the constant barrage of stress has been a vacation for the most part. I have enjoyed watching the younger guys get up to speed and its pretty amazing how quickly it happens for them.

Well, back to the beach to enjoy my Christmas break!!

JMC_MarineCorps said:
I love seeing enlisted guys (especially infantrymen!) get on the med school track...the senior guys would always say, "you'll be flippin' burgers when you get out!" Maybe they were just projecting their own fear/insecurity onto us. I don't know, but whatever it was, I always had to laugh at that one.

Thanks for sharing Panda Man. I have seen a few of your 'political' posts and they were rather eloquent for a former grunt -- I actually thought you might have been an officer.

So they had you for 8 years. I think you have the most time in service out of this distinguished group here. And anyone crazy enough to re-enlist in the infantry has my utmost respect! However, I think it is fair to say that as a tanker for the first go around, you didn't know what you were getting yourself into...or did you? :eek: Either way, you're hardcore in my book.

Hey so where are you in school? Damn, 4th year...we have some salt dogs around here. This is better than I expected.

I am a fourth year at LSU Shreveport. The time has passed quickly. It seems like only yesterday that I was picking through my cadaver thinking, "Chicken, it looks like chicken."

I had always wanted to be an infantryman but was put into tanks because my recruiter talked me into enlisting "open contract."

Ah, my recruiter. I remember him well. His office was in one of those multi-service recruiter stations. I had already talked to the Army and the Navy and both services has promised me College, job skills, and benefits. The Marine recruiter however looked me up and down contemptuously and said, "Son, I don't think you have what it takes to be a Marine."

Naturally I was hooked. I only learned later that as a rule, recruiters are desperate to enlist their quota lest they be sent back to the Fleet in disgrace.

You and I both know that it is only a myth that Marine Infantrymen are stupid(Although Lord knows I have known a few rocks in my time). An effective infantryman has to be mentally agile, a problem solver, and able to step into higher billets at a moments notice. The days when the infantry was just cheap canon fodder are long gone.

I liked the infantry. Four years as a grunt teaches you not to be a *****. A very important lesson which is undertaught nowadays. If you can hack the infantry then nothing much else in life is really that difficult. That's why I have had such a low stress medical school career. I may have had to study hard but other than the boredom studying is really quite easy. You are usually in a comfortable chair in an air-conditioned environment from which you may take as many breaks of however long duration as you desire. Nobody is yelling, there is no mission to accomplish, and you are not repsonsible for anyone but yourself.

May - July 2003 : Great Lakes, IL Navy RTC. Division 932
July - October 2003: Great Lakes, IL Hospital Corps School. Accelerated Pace
January - February 2004: Camp Pendleton, CA Field Medical Service School
March - May 2004: 1st Battalion, 4th Marines Battalion Aid Station
May 2004 - July 2004: 11th MEU, Battalion Landing Team 1/4. USS Belleau Wood, Expeditionary Strike Group Three.
July 2004 - Present: 11th MEU, Battalion Landing Team 1/4. Forward Operating Base Hotel, An Najaf, Iraq.

Putting in my application for the US Naval Academy when I return to CONUS and I will be accepted and graduate as one of the 2% selected for the Medical Corps. :luck:

USNavy HM said:
May 2004 - July 2004: 11th MEU, Battalion Landing Team 1/4. USS Belleau Wood, Expeditionary Strike Group Three.
July 2004 - Present: 11th MEU, Battalion Landing Team 1/4. Forward Operating Base Hotel, An Najaf, Iraq.

Putting in my application for the US Naval Academy when I return to CONUS and I will be accepted and graduate as one of the 2% selected for the Medical Corps. :luck:

Go for it Doc. Your resume is already Shi* Hot!! Stay safe over there and keep us all informed of what is going on over there and if you need anything. I was in that part of the world not all that long ago and can relate well. Later.

Matt

EvoDevo said:
Oh, and does anyone play Halo or Halo 2? They have Marines of the future (+500 years) as non-player characters, and some of the things that they say are just so dead on. For example, there's one level where one Marine is freaking out about not having enough firepower to take on the enemy (aliens). The SMaj starts yelling about how, back in the day, the Corps didn't have sufficient firepower and each platoon had sticks.....and they had to share the sticks. :laugh: Of course, he then drops off the future's version of armor support.

Funny, but I really loved that part. And I realize that I won't have much time for this stuff once school starts. Gotta get it in now. :D

Just picked up Halo 2...still haven't beat the original Halo, but I am close. I like it when they talk smack..."if you ask me nicely, I'll just kill you a little bit."

Was playing Halo earlier tonight with my girls in co-op mode. The three-year-old really likes killing the aliens...the seven-year-old likes shooting me. Hey, its all about the quality time. They get all excited because they are Marines and my girls already do the attention and salute thing when I go drill instructor on them or if they hear the Hymn.

I don't get to play too much during the semester, but that's because I have other family responsibilities; but if you are single, there should be no shortage of opps to keep up on your close quarter combat tactics once school starts.

Its a good way to unwind.

USNavy HM said:

Way to go HM. You know all about those humps up Iron Mike, The Reaper, and Sheep ****. Stay safe and stay motivated.

Sounds like you still have undergrad work to take care of first. Keep your head up...its a long road, but cake compared to the ish that you are dealing with right now in Iraq.

God speed Marines (and Corpsman...and all of our servicemen and women for that matter).

Boot Camp, Great Mistakes, Aug 1996
HM "A" School, San Diego, Nov 1996
FMSS Camp Pendleton, Jan 1997
Naval Hospital San Diego, Feb 1997
1st Battalion 5th Marines, Camp Pendleton, Dec 1998
U.S.S. Constellation, Apr 2000
EAOS, Aug 2001
First undergrad semester, Hendrix College, Conway Arkansas
Reserve Callup, 2nd Battalion 23rd Marines, Jan 2002
Inactivation Jan 2003 (E5)
Return to undergrad work at Hendrix College
Set to graduate in May, Bachelor degree in Biochemistry/Molecular Biology
Applied to UAMS (local medical school) and 5 DO schools
Married for three years now to a Navy Nurse (just made O3 in the reserve)
Expecting first daughter on 31MAR05

Great Lakes-1999
Camp Johnson-2001
8th Tank Bn.-2002
Good Luck with the Academy.I'm a reservist on active duty serving with my Marines here in Djibouti.Had a little time in between posts to check the threads.After this I will finish my last year and make applications to med schools in Fl.Well gotta get to post. :smuggrin:

Alright, I must admit, this is the first time I have felt utterly compelled to reply to a thread. It is damn good to see all these great things happening to Jarheads, and hardcore corpmans types. Good luck to all of you, esp HM.

CV:

Texas for 18 yrs then out of the nest to USNA 1992 BS, Pol Sci, Japanese minor
Swing'n with the wing in Aviation Supply. Sorry, not very dramatic, but at least it was SoCal.
Hon Disch 1997. Moved overseas to Sweden.
Class 2006 Gothenburg U. Medical School. (six year program)
Working on PhD, scheduled to be done 2008.
Currently dying in the dark, cold Scandinavium hell that is winter. I must be working off some serious karma.

ciao

Max_Berry said:
Alright, I must admit, this is the first time I have felt utterly compelled to reply to a thread. It is damn good to see all these great things happening to Jarheads, and hardcore corpmans types. Good luck to all of you, esp HM.

CV:

Texas for 18 yrs then out of the nest to USNA 1992 BS, Pol Sci, Japanese minor
Swing'n with the wing in Aviation Supply. Sorry, not very dramatic, but at least it was SoCal.
Hon Disch 1997. Moved overseas to Sweden.
Class 2006 Gothenburg U. Medical School. (six year program)
Working on PhD, scheduled to be done 2008.
Currently dying in the dark, cold Scandinavium hell that is winter. I must be working off some serious karma.

ciao

Sweet mother of Jesus, what do we have here? A motivated Sweed? :laugh:

JMC_MarineCorps said:
Sweet mother of Jesus, what do we have here? A motivated Sweed? :laugh:

Enough with these damn HM's...where are the rest of my brothers at?

JMC_MarineCorps said:
Enough with these damn HM's...where are the rest of my brothers at?
Right here, my man. I got into the University of Texas, San Antonio med school yesterday! :thumbup: Hoorah! to 1/3d the debt load!

Enlisted in the Navy, 1991 and went to Great Lakes for boot camp and A school. Went to Camp Pendleton for FMSS and was attached to 11th Marines in First MarDiv. Rotated to Okinawa and lived at Camp Foster.
Discharged as second class petty officer in 1995.

Got my BS in chemistry and MS in biology and my Phd in Biomedical Sciences. Now I begin med school in August.

doc tom

EvoDevo said:
Right here, my man. I got into the University of Texas, San Antonio med school yesterday! :thumbup: Hoorah! to 1/3d the debt load!

Very glad to hear it! Congrats to you my friend. That's all Texas needs is more Jarheads...as if the place isn't crawling with them already.

Great news Moto.

Any other moto dawgs finally get their shot?

Doc Tom said:
Enlisted in the Navy, 1991 and went to Great Lakes for boot camp and A school. Went to Camp Pendleton for FMSS and was attached to 11th Marines in First MarDiv. Rotated to Okinawa and lived at Camp Foster.
Discharged as second class petty officer in 1995.

Got my BS in chemistry and MS in biology and my Phd in Biomedical Sciences. Now I begin med school in August.

doc tom

Good stuff Doc Tom, where will you end up? MD, PhD....that's hardcore.

Navy bootcamp(Great Lakes): July 1989
Corpsmen school: OCT 1989
FMF school(Camp Johnson): Spring 1990
Desert Shield/ Storm w/ HMLA 169 USS Tarawa LHA-1
Resp Therapist school Fort Sam Houston/Balboa SanDiego 1993-1994
Bosnia w/ fleet surgical team as Respiratory Therapist(USS Wasp LHD-1
2002-2003 Kandahar Afghanistan w/ Engineers attached to 82nd Air( sorry Marines.. Louisiana National Guard paid college)
2001-present LSU
2005 LSU School of Medicine class of 2009 in New Orleans
HAte the Army...Go Navy/Marine Corps Team.

Military/ combat medic experience helped w/ essay and interview/acceptence

MCRD San Diego: Jun-Sept 91 Plt 3050, Be Like “Mike” Co
Camp Pendleton SOI: Sept 91 MCT: Marine Combat Training/Massive Consumption of Time
NATTC Millington: Oct 91-Jan 92 MOS 7051 training—CrashFireRescue “Grunts of the Wing”
MCAS El Toro, 3rd MAW HQ: Jan 92-Dec 93 “Swinging with the Wing” as CFR
MCCDC Quantico: Jan-Mar 94, Embassy Guard School MOS 8151
MSGDET Frankfurt, Germany: Mar 94-April 94
MSGDET St. Petersburg, Russia: April 94-April 95
MSGDET Ottawa, Canada: April 95-Aug 96
MCAS Yuma: Reserves 96-98 HQ Squadron, more Crash Crew

E-5 in 4 (gotta love embassy duty), out from reserves as E-6.

A little less lean, not quite as mean, but still a US MARINE!

Semper Fieldayus

dry dre said:
MCRD San Diego: Jun-Sept 91 Plt 3050, Be Like “Mike” Co
Camp Pendleton SOI: Sept 91 MCT: Marine Combat Training/Massive Consumption of Time
NATTC Millington: Oct 91-Jan 92 MOS 7051 training—CrashFireRescue “Grunts of the Wing”
MCAS El Toro, 3rd MAW HQ: Jan 92-Dec 93 “Swinging with the Wing” as CFR
MCCDC Quantico: Jan-Mar 94, Embassy Guard School MOS 8151
MSGDET Frankfurt, Germany: Mar 94-April 94
MSGDET St. Petersburg, Russia: April 94-April 95
MSGDET Ottawa, Canada: April 95-Aug 96
MCAS Yuma: Reserves 96-98 HQ Squadron, more Crash Crew

E-5 in 4 (gotta love embassy duty), out from reserves as E-6.

A little less lean, not quite as mean, but still a US MARINE!

Semper Fieldayus

Nice...very freakin' NICE!

Hey, thanks for posting...sounds like an awesome tour if you asked me. Embassy duty was alwasy attractive, but had I stayed in it would have been drill instructor school all the way!

So you got your rocker and you got out...not bad at all. I have a friend that got E-5 in 4 with the grunts in 2-7, but he was smokin' hot...most squared away individual you would ever meet. He's a lawyer now in Manhattan -- go figure.

So where are you in this application/school process?

Great to see there are other Marines doing well in the medical field and enlisted Marines as MD's. I'm a Sgt, still on AD, going to school at night getting pre-req's and EMT. Planning on PA school, but curious about MD. I am married with two small sons so would like to hear what it was like for other former enlisted Marines with families, who made it through medical school. Semper Fi.

MARINE said:
Great to see there are other Marines doing well in the medical field and enlisted Marines as MD's. I'm a Sgt, still on AD, going to school at night getting pre-req's and EMT. Planning on PA school, but curious about MD. I am married with two small sons so would like to hear what it was like for other former enlisted Marines with families, who made it through medical school. Semper Fi.

School at night? That must be some sweet-arse admin job...very plush! Seriously though, I think that is great that you are going to school while in (and while juggling the family thing). I could tell you all about my experience, but I don't want to bore you with the details. Bottom line is just keep doing your thing...little by little.

Going to school with a family is not very hard (let me rephrase: undergrad is not that hard with a family). Having to work (15-20hrs/wk) in addition to fulfilling biochem major reqs while splitting baby-duty with a spouse that also works and still getting >3.33 gpa is a bit harder :laugh:

The nice thing is that Marines have a special place in all of our hearts (I am speaking for the general public now), thus we have the heavy guns on standby - in a manner of speaking.

Once you are in PA school or med school...well, things change a bit, but for the most part it is still pretty doable. Last semester, my wife was also working 3 days/week and taking 12 semester units (anatom/microbio and something else) and I was taking 31 units in my first semester in med school. Add two kids in the mix there and you can guess how crazy last semester was.

This semester is different. No more school for the wife and I am coaching basketball at the YMCA, my oldest is on my team :)

MARINE said:
Welcome to the forum, Devil Dog! Glad to have you aboard.

Obedeli said:
Semper Fi
1st bat Parris Island
platoon 1088 Ssgt Blumenhauer
Swing with the Wing!
4th year med student, still having nightmares I am back at the Island.

Glad you all are here!

Hey, thanks for posting. How many years in? What school do you attend now? What are you trying to match?

Semper

Devil Dogs, 1st bat 1056 series graduated boot aug 11. PI, I still have a picture of the bank temp gauge set at 107. ouch. It has been awhile since I been in. i was just thinking the other day about boot and how in shape I was. Just a little sad note, here in Richmond we just lost two marines in Al anbar province. That sucks. Semper Fi

1989 Parris Island, "Thumpin" Third Battalion
1990 MCT @ Gieger, Engineer School @ Courthouse Bay
2nd Combat Engineer Btln, Co A, 1st Plt (M60 Gunner - OohRah!)
Deployed to Gulf on USS Gunston Hall w/ 2nd LAI, 4th MEB
1993 2nd FSSG, H&S Btln, HQ Co
1994 Met a Navy Corpsman who became my future wife!
1995 Discharged
2001 Graduated from U. North Florida (B.S. Biology)
Matriculated at OUCOM - Navy HPSP
2005 Will graduate in June, followed by Navy Psych Internship at NMCP

I'm strongly considering doing a GMO internship, even though my chances of going straight-through in psych are pretty decent. My wife is, of course, opposed to that idea as she doesn't want me going to Iraq. It's hard to explain, but I still have this unshakable desire to be a part of the 'operational' military, i.e. GMO tour. Maybe I'll compromise and take a ship-board GMO tour. We'll see. I'm excited to be going back on active duty (while simultaneously dreading becoming an intern).

Teufelhunden said:
1989 Parris Island, "Thumpin" Third Battalion
1990 MCT @ Gieger, Engineer School @ Courthouse Bay
2nd Combat Engineer Btln, Co A, 1st Plt (M60 Gunner - OohRah!)
Deployed to Gulf on USS Gunston Hall w/ 2nd LAI, 4th MEB
1993 2nd FSSG, H&S Btln, HQ Co
1994 Met a Navy Corpsman who became my future wife!
1995 Discharged
2001 Graduated from U. North Florida (B.S. Biology)
Matriculated at OUCOM - Navy HPSP
2005 Will graduate in June, followed by Navy Psych Internship at NMCP

I'm strongly considering doing a GMO internship, even though my chances of going straight-through in psych are pretty decent. My wife is, of course, opposed to that idea as she doesn't want me going to Iraq. It's hard to explain, but I still have this unshakable desire to be a part of the 'operational' military, i.e. GMO tour. Maybe I'll compromise and take a ship-board GMO tour. We'll see. I'm excited to be going back on active duty (while simultaneously dreading becoming an intern).

Nice Teufel! Thanks for that and congrats on matching psych...that's pretty sweet. I thought about psych, but recalled that everytime I felt 'down and out' in the Marines, I was told to SUCK IT UP! Figured that if I were to do psych I would end up telling all my patients to SUCK IT UP!

I am not doing the HPSP, although I did apply to USUHS last year and was offered a post-bac then matriculate sort of deal, which I respectfully declined. I do, however, think about serving with the Mean Green Machine again via Navy HPSP, but so far it has been just that...thinking.

You still pushing up like 550 on bench? Why don' you post one of those motivating pics on this thread.

Anyway, good luck and stay in touch on this thread. By the way, I am from Cleveland originally...South Euclid, Mayfield Hts. area -- don't miss it at all! Also see you were in FL...I enlisted out of Tampa (went to H.S. there).

I miss boot camp right now and the friends I had in the fleet. I just finished reading Making the Corps and I must say, I am at a loss for words. I miss the camaraderie. I look at my medical school classmates (not all of them of course) and think to myself.. nasty:) I mean seriously, do you SEE how much complaining goes on in medical school. Holy freaking crap, you would think they are the only individuals in the class who are going through it! I mean "yes" there are times I hate driving across the city for a lecture, but the feelings are fleeting. Others in the class, will spit fire for days after being corrected or having to do something mundane. Petty inconviences quickly become big grudges. What medical students need is Parris Island.

ANNNNNNNNNNNNNND another thing (here I am about to complain :D) If I must make ONE VALID complaint against the medical school curriculum is this..... I can't TELL you how many sensitivity training lectures I have attended on gays, other cultures, whatever. When was the last time ANYONE was trained on what our veterans have been through. For many med schools, vets make up half of the patient population, YET when a student is asked by a sharp attending to state what the patient did in the service in the social history component of their presentation, they are speechless!!! " I dunno.... held a gun."
INSANITY! Where is the vet sensitivity training? Answer: nowhere, because they are deemed by intelligentsia to NOT be a protected group (probably because most of them vote republican).

Great to see so many marines turning into Doctors. Although, I am surprised that no one here is going to USUHS... Anyway, here's my story:

1998: Parris Island
1999: Marine Corps Comm & Electronics School, 29 Palms, CA
Then: MWSS 272, MCAS New River
After: 3/8 Lima Co (4th MEB) << went to Afghanistan with these guys

I went to CCCC and after leaving the corps, went to UNC-Greensboro, NC, graduated with BS in Biology, did research in genetics.

Got accepted into VCOM, NYCOM, UMDNJ and USUHS.

I will be hopefully be going to USUHS (http://www.usuhs.mil) starting Fall of 2005, as a 2ndLT in the Army.

Semper Fi
Sgt/USMC

Attachments

• untitled.bmp
    52.4 KB · Views: 461
Ooorah!! Glad to see Devil Dogs makin' it! :D

JMC, where you at?

Panda Bear said:

I also served with 3/8 Kilo. I was temp. assigned to Kilo as their linguist in Afghanistan for a few months.
RA/Sgt/USMC

agoodguy said:
Great to see so many marines turning into Doctors. Although, I am surprised that no one here is going to USUHS.

Isn't it awesome? I am glad to see it too. Just when it seems that every former Marine is now a cop or highway patrol officer...it is refreshing to think that there are some of The Few and The Proud donning scrubs.

I interviewed at USUHS...tell me that one hard d!ck from the Army (his name totally escapes me now, but his office is immediately to the right as you enter the the admissions office) is not one of the most squared away guys you'll ever meet. He definitely got me excited about serving again.

It just wasn't in the cards. They offered me a post-bac spot with an opp to matriculate the following year. I respectfully declined and stayed in So. Cal. @ COMP (for you there Mr. Devo).

Stay motivated and keep in touch on this thread. Maybe one day we'll all get togther at Evo's place on the Marine Corps Birthday!

JMC_MarineCorps said:
I'm calling you out MARINES.

I'm trying to to keep tabs on all the Marines-turned-docs that post on SDN. There aren't many of us, thus it shouldn't be too hard to keep up with one another. Please post here or PM with your story and progress. This includes residency folks and beyond as well, if ya'll don't mind.

I'll go first:

-Parris Island, 0311/8152 (Security Forces)
-North Island, San Diego (MCSFCo)
-Pendleton 2/1, WestPac '97, 15th MEU, USS Boxer (LHD-4)
-'93-'97, E-4
-Married 10 years
-2 kids, 7 and 3
-Biochem major/Occidental College
-2 years cancer clinical trials research/radioimmunotherapy

1st year student at COMP in Pomona, CA. So far so good. Want to match Ortho ot EM three years from now.

So I know we got Evo (by the way Evo, like the new avatar) and there is an old salt dog named Teufel around here. Panda Bear too.

Let's go gents, fall-in! If you're the quiet type...PM please. That'll work just as well.
Parris Island plt 2142
Camp Pendleton 5/11 1st mardiv HQ battery
GITMO marine barracks windward H and S company
1996-2000
I was just a supply clerk, but spent my time in the corps as support for arty and grunts.

As of right now I'm just finishing up my general ed. reqs. at Community college and will be attending USF (south florida) in the fall. Majoring in Exercise Science. Hope to one day work as an exercise physiologist.

Even after I got of the corps I didnt know what I was going to do. I had some different jobs, even a short stint as a deputy in tampa. I soon found out that wasn't for me. I think most Marines consider a career in law enforcment after they get out...anyway I started as a crim major but that major went out the window when I actually started working in Law enforcement (I hated that damn job, getting into fights every other night, people spitting on you, who wants to deal with that?) I figured why waste my money and time on a degree that will be useless. Keep in mind that I've always been into exercise and lifting weights so while looking into a new major I came across USF's exercise science program. A perfect fit.
Now I know what I want. I'm focused and driven to get my college degree under my belt... the 1st in my family. That gives me a bit of motivation too.

I'm a hiiighly motivated truuuly dedicated United States Marine Sir.

Stay Motivated Marines.

mlcl4 said:
Parris Island plt 2142
Camp Pendleton 5/11 1st mardiv HQ battery
GITMO marine barracks windward H and S company
1996-2000
I was just a supply clerk, but spent my time in the corps as support for arty and grunts.

when were you in Camp FLores?

mike