*** The OFFICIAL USMC-TO-DOC thread ***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
mlcl4 said:
Parris Island plt 2142
Camp Pendleton 5/11 1st mardiv HQ battery
GITMO marine barracks windward H and S company
1996-2000
I was just a supply clerk, but spent my time in the corps as support for arty and grunts.

As of right now I'm just finishing up my general ed. reqs. at Community college and will be attending USF (south florida) in the fall. Majoring in Exercise Science. Hope to one day work as an exercise physiologist.

Even after I got of the corps I didnt know what I was going to do. I had some different jobs, even a short stint as a deputy in tampa. I soon found out that wasn't for me. I think most Marines consider a career in law enforcment after they get out...anyway I started as a crim major but that major went out the window when I actually started working in Law enforcement (I hated that damn job, getting into fights every other night, people spitting on you, who wants to deal with that?) I figured why waste my money and time on a degree that will be useless. Keep in mind that I've always been into exercise and lifting weights so while looking into a new major I came across USF's exercise science program. A perfect fit.
Now I know what I want. I'm focused and driven to get my college degree under my belt... the 1st in my family. That gives me a bit of motivation too.

I'm a hiiighly motivated truuuly dedicated United States Marine Sir.

Stay Motivated Marines.
Welcome aboard, Marine! Hoo-rah!

That you'll be the first in your fam to earn a college degree is downright motivating. I was in the same boat myself. It feels good, man. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

JMC_MarineCorps said:
Isn't it awesome? I am glad to see it too. Just when it seems that every former Marine is now a cop or highway patrol officer...it is refreshing to think that there are some of The Few and The Proud donning scrubs.
Yeah, no kidding. I think I've only met one other Devil Dog that was actually in med school. I gotta wonder, though: Y'all know the clinical rotation pimping that all the students are worried about in third year? It just doesn't seem like it'll bother me all that much after having dealt with Cpl Jones in MCT kicking my ass for letting go of my rifle for a millisecond. :oops: You know?

I interviewed at USUHS...tell me that one hard d!ck from the Army (his name totally escapes me now, but his office is immediately to the right as you enter the the admissions office) is not one of the most squared away guys you'll ever meet. He definitely got me excited about serving again.
Heh. Yeah. I know the type. Best to stay away from 'em or else I'll be singing the hymn someday on a Gator Freightor in the Med. ;)

...stayed in So. Cal. @ COMP (for you there Mr. Devo).
I know, man, I know. I was just wondering where you'd been lately. :)

Maybe one day we'll all get togther at Evo's place on the Marine Corps Birthday!
Absolutely! Come on down to TX and y'all can stay at my pad. :D

-Parris Island, 1999 (2671 Cryptologic Linguist)
-MCT, 99
-Monterey, Ca 99-02 Arabic Language Basic Course
-Goodfellow AFB, 2002
-Ft. Meade, MD (NSA) 2002-03
-Germany w/ contractor 2003
-Ft. Gordon, GA currently working as an Arab linguist supporting our Marines (and others) forward
-Married 4 years
-2 kids, 3yr-old Daughter and 1.5yr-old Son

Just a sophmore working towards B.S. Biology and busting my a** trying to get into med school. Just starting out and everything is still overwhelming (although I don't see that changing.) It's awesome to see some people that were in the same boat at some time or another.
Working fulltime, w/ the 2 kids, and class fulltime is rough, but I'm getting so freakin motivated about what's in store for me that I'm ready to dive in head first.

Awesome thread! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Publius said:
-Parris Island, 1999 (2671 Cryptologic Linguist):
2671? Heh. Freak-geek.

*Said the former "Know's nothing 'bout lots of things" 0231*

Glad to have you aboard!
FYI, I've been out since before Jesus was a private (Panda Bear was in before Moses went to boot camp) and even now I still wonder if I'm not missing out by being a Navy doc after med school.

EvoDevo said:
I still wonder if I'm not missing out by being a Navy doc after med school.

Yea, I wonder the same thing, I have a few buds doing the Navy HPSP at my school and I know they are gonna have a blast and sometimes I think about doing it all over again too.

Evo, I must say that your new avatar, the salty-war-frog sipping a hot cup of Joe from a Marine Corps mug, FREAKING ROCKS! NICE!

Hey, I read your story too, for the first time I must admit, that was nice, thanks for sharing. Congrats again on sealing the deal - you are in control of everything from here. :thumbup:

Publius said:
-Parris Island, 1999 (2671 Cryptologic Linguist)
-MCT, 99
-Monterey, Ca 99-02 Arabic Language Basic Course
-Goodfellow AFB, 2002
-Ft. Meade, MD (NSA) 2002-03
-Germany w/ contractor 2003
-Ft. Gordon, GA currently working as an Arab linguist supporting our Marines (and others) forward
-Married 4 years
-2 kids, 3yr-old Daughter and 1.5yr-old Son

Just a sophmore working towards B.S. Biology and busting my a** trying to get into med school. Just starting out and everything is still overwhelming (although I don't see that changing.) It's awesome to see some people that were in the same boat at some time or another.
Working fulltime, w/ the 2 kids, and class fulltime is rough, but I'm getting so freakin motivated about what's in store for me that I'm ready to dive in head first.

Awesome thread! :thumbup:

Publius, thanks for sharing and good luck with everything. Stay in touch here and get advice from the salt dogs who have laid it down before you.

One word of caution: I worked 1/2 time with a full-time biochem load (while simultaneously baby-swapping with the wife who also worked full-time). I did well in my classes, that is to say that I graduated with a 3.33, but my MCAT's weren't so hot. I believe this is because I learned enough to get by on my exams, but the concepts weren't making it into long-term memory. I didn't spend enough time with the material overall; I spread myself too thin at times. Just be cautious about how much you spread yourself between work/school/family. You want to make the application process as easy as possible.

All the best.

JMC_MarineCorps said:
Yea, I wonder the same thing, I have a few buds doing the Navy HPSP at my school and I know they are gonna have a blast and sometimes I think about doing it all over again too.

Evo, I must say that your new avatar, the salty-war-frog sipping a hot cup of Joe from a Marine Corps mug, FREAKING ROCKS! NICE!

Hey, I read your story too, for the first time I must admit, that was nice, thanks for sharing. Congrats again on sealing the deal - you are in control of everything from here. :thumbup:
Thanks a lot man. I appreciate it. :thumbup:

EvoDevo, JMC,

Appreciate the replies and advise. SDN looks like a great sight. The university I'm attending is rather small and there are not that many pre-med, so having somewhere like SDN will really help out, I'm sure.

JMC, My workload is something that I've been working to straighten out for some time.. looks like I may be getting on a contract w/ less hours. Can't go down too low being the single income for the family, but I definitely feel where you're coming.

EvoDevo said:
Yeah, no kidding. I think I've only met one other Devil Dog that was actually in med school. I gotta wonder, though: Y'all know the clinical rotation pimping that all the students are worried about in third year? It just doesn't seem like it'll bother me all that much after having dealt with Cpl Jones in MCT kicking my ass for letting go of my rifle for a millisecond. :oops: You know?

LOL! I can't tell you how many times I've thought the same thing. A lot of med students sh|t their pants during an agressive pimp session - I just laugh - I'm thinking: You people have no idea how bad it can be?

WHAT'S YOUR SEVENTH GENERAL ORDER, RECRUIT?

Obedeli said:
I miss boot camp right now and the friends I had in the fleet. I just finished reading Making the Corps and I must say, I am at a loss for words. I miss the camaraderie. I look at my medical school classmates (not all of them of course) and think to myself.. nasty:) I mean seriously, do you SEE how much complaining goes on in medical school. Holy freaking crap, you would think they are the only individuals in the class who are going through it! I mean "yes" there are times I hate driving across the city for a lecture, but the feelings are fleeting. Others in the class, will spit fire for days after being corrected or having to do something mundane. Petty inconviences quickly become big grudges. What medical students need is Parris Island.

Amen, brother. It's so nice to see that I'm not the only one who feels this way. I swear, I have these identical thoughts at least once per week. I do love medicine, but sometimes I wish I would've just got my degree and went to Quantico (I came very close to signing on the line for Platoon Leaders' Course back in 1999).

Anyway, I miss the Corps so damn much. As supportive as my wife is (she was a green-side Corpsman when we met), she does not want me doing a GMO tour w/ the Marines cuz she doesn't want me getting shot up/blown up over in Iraq.

You can see how I'm conflicted, because I feel I was born to be a GMO for a Marine Btln. And if I was going to do it, I would want to be where I was needed the most, i.e. Iraq. Anyway, good luck to you and Semper Fi!

Teufelhunden said:
LOL! I can't tell you how many times I've thought the same thing. A lot of med students sh|t their pants during an agressive pimp session - I just laugh - I'm thinking: You people have no idea how bad it can be?

WHAT'S YOUR SEVENTH GENERAL ORDER, RECRUIT?
Marine Corps said:
GENERAL ORDER #7:
To talk to no one except on the line of duty.
:laugh:

I dunno how you did it, but I plan on preparing for my rotations just like boot camp/infantry school: practicing the ability to repeat information whilst being yelled at. There's no way that an attending can be as bad as Sgt. Jones.

Hey man, I haven't seen you online in a while. You're the guy who's like a massive powerlifter, right? :thumbup: What specialty did you finally decide on?

Teufelhunden said:
Amen, brother. It's so nice to see that I'm not the only one who feels this way. I swear, I have these identical thoughts at least once per week. I do love medicine, but sometimes I wish I would've just got my degree and went to Quantico (I came very close to signing on the line for Platoon Leaders' Course back in 1999).

Anyway, I miss the Corps so damn much. As supportive as my wife is (she was a green-side Corpsman when we met), she does not want me doing a GMO tour w/ the Marines cuz she doesn't want me getting shot up/blown up over in Iraq.

You can see how I'm conflicted, because I feel I was born to be a GMO for a Marine Btln. And if I was going to do it, I would want to be where I was needed the most, i.e. Iraq. Anyway, good luck to you and Semper Fi!
I feel the same way. Absolutely. But you know, I have a feeling that my distance from active service (7 years) means that I'm probably forgetting all the heart-wrenching, bile-producing BS I had to endure.

eh. Who knows? I may change my mind in a year or two.

I have been reading books on the Corps and looking at my yearbook in order to prepare myself for residency. I need to remember I was once able to handle worse crap than this!

GMO tour would be fun and what a different perspective dressed as a squid.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wanted to check with you guys and see if any of you ran into the same problem.

After graduation from my MOS training (2671 Arabic linguist), I found that our school was accredited and that the course was subdivided to grant basic foreign language credit hours, humanities, etc.

My problem is that it ended up being 45 credit hours with a GPA of roughly 2.6
We were unaware of the course being accredited (not that it would have changed anything if we would have know.)

Now with my undergrad studies, 18 of the credits transferred over (pulling my GPA down considerably.) Our registrar has said that I could not refuse the transferred credits, even though they do not fall under my degree program (I don't know if this is a state issue or not)

My institutional GPA now is 4.0 (just now completing 2nd semester) and the transferred credits are weighing heavily on my cumulative GPA.

I am wondering what all is covered on the AMCAS app and how/if it breaks down the GPA by institution, or by degree, etc. I know I have a lot of time to pick this GPA up, but I am just curious.

Will admission committees look further into the GPA's, or could this get me set aside before they get a chance to find out the details?

EvoDevo said:
I feel the same way. Absolutely. But you know, I have a feeling that my distance from active service (7 years) means that I'm probably forgetting all the heart-wrenching, bile-producing BS I had to endure.

eh. Who knows? I may change my mind in a year or two.

I have been out for almost fourteen years and I have pretty much forgotten all of the BS. I think we all love the Corps but we love it a lot more now that we're out.

Things I Could Not Stand About Being A Marine:

1. Field Day. Good Lord. Is it that hard to clean the Barracks? Grab one squad, cut everybody else loose on liberty, and git-R-done. Never happened like that, of course. It usally ended up with the whole Company standing around waiting for somebody to inspect.

2. IG inspections. I understand the purpose of these things and I approve but I just never thought lining up socks and boxers on the top shelf of a wall locker was a productive use of time.

3. Waiting around for liberty. If I were the commanding officer I would never leave my Marines standing around with nothing to do late in the afternoon on the start of a three-day weekend. If there's something to be done then again, pick a "duty squad" and let everybody else go, fer' chrissakes. Sometimes our leaders (and I think everybody will agree that we have excellent officers in the Marines) don't realize that many Marines have girlfriends who live at the end of a thirteen hour drive.

I'm sure I can think of a lot more.

How well I remember my discharge day. It was around this time in April in 1991. It was one of the finest days of my life. I was honorably discharged, dating a good-looking chick (who is now Mrs. Panda) and on my way to College starting in June. The sense of freedom when I drove out of the main gate at Camp Lejeune cannot be described or understood by anybody who has never been a Marine. Don't get me wrong, I loved the Corps and enjoyed my seven years of active duty service but as many of you know Marine Corps life is pretty demanding. As I left the base for the last time I realized that I was done with it.

Publius said:

After graduation from my MOS training (2671 Arabic linguist), I found that our school was accredited and that the course was subdivided to grant basic foreign language credit hours, humanities, etc.

We were unaware of the course being accredited (not that it would have changed anything if we would have know.)

Now with my undergrad studies, 18 of the credits transferred over (pulling my GPA down considerably.) Our registrar has said that I could not refuse the transferred credits, even though they do not fall under my degree program (I don't know if this is a state issue or not)

My institutional GPA now is 4.0 (just now completing 2nd semester) and the transferred credits are weighing heavily on my cumulative GPA.

I am wondering what all is covered on the AMCAS app and how/if it breaks down the GPA by institution, or by degree, etc. I know I have a lot of time to pick this GPA up, but I am just curious.

Will admission committees look further into the GPA's, or could this get me set aside before they get a chance to find out the details?

I was kicked out of college in 1983 for bad grades and those grades dragged my cumulative GPA to around a 2.6 by the time I applied to medical school. Additionally, when I majored in Civil Engineering I had no idea that six years later I would be applying to medical school so I didn't exactly push the studying envelope.

When I went back to take the medical school prerequisites I aced them all and did fairly well on the MCAT. My BPCM GPA (Biolgy,Physics, Chemistry, and Math) GPA which is (or was) broken out in the AMCAS application was around a 3.8 because of this.

Just use some of your essay to explain your situation. My medical school was obviously sympathetic. I am graduating next month. As long as you get the interviews you will do fine. On the other hand there are some schools, and I don't know which ones, that get so many applications that they have automatic "cut-offs" for GPA and MCAT scores. They have to start somewhere in thinning the herd and score cut-offs are the easiest way. My point is don't count on getting interviews at Harvard. Your state school, on the other hand, will probably give you an interview just based on your interesting CV and GPA be damned.

I too, have laughed out loud at a young resident as he tried to chew me out. It was pathetic. Other than laughing I was perfectly polite and other than suggesting that he'd look kind of foolish standing in front of his attending explaining why he was cursing at his medical students I don't let the varous ego dysfunctions I have encountered bother me.

On the other hand most Attendings and residents are pretty good people and interested in teaching students. I have no problem taking orders from anybody in authority and I will take the occasional well-deserved chastisement without comment and without an attitude problem. A little good-natured ribbing or sharp criticism is not the same as abuse.

The medical student/resident relationship is nothing like you see in the popular culture and nowhere near as bad as you imagine...at least in my experience.

Maybe it was malignant "back in the day" but this is not the case anymore.

Remember all the horror stories they told you about boot-camp? When you got there you quicky found out that most of them were sea-tales and that boot-camp was indeed difficult but in ways you couldn't have anticipated.

Same thing.

Publius said:

That is a strange problem. I remember my transfer stuff from the Corps was all pass/fail. There were no grades recorded. I would fight to see if they won't have to be transferred over. A 4.0 should be preserved if possible. If all else fails, I would schedule an appointment with your local medical school admissions coordinator and discuss your problem with them. That way, they will look further into your application. Unfortunately, some schools may automatically dismiss your application based on GP cut offs. The only way around that is by communicating your situation to the schools you apply to. There are always exceptions to cut offs.

Panda Bear said:
How well I remember my discharge day. It was around this time in April in 1991. It was one of the finest days of my life. I was honorably discharged, dating a good-looking chick (who is now Mrs. Panda) and on my way to College starting in June. The sense of freedom when I drove out of the main gate at Camp Lejeune cannot be described or understood by anybody who has never been a Marine. Don't get me wrong, I loved the Corps and enjoyed my seven years of active duty service but as many of you know Marine Corps life is pretty demanding. As I left the base for the last time I realized that I was done with it.

I remember that drive as well. I never felt so free. I could not believe Thursdays were no longer field days. No friday morning inspections. I was just FREEEE! I remember driving home with no idea what I was going to do. I knew I wanted to go to college, but for what I had no clue. All I knew was that a college degree led to a much better lifestyle in the corps and it probably would be important in the civilian world.
Now, it is nine years later and I am graduating from medical school. I could have never predicted this.

Obedeli said:
I remember that drive as well. I never felt so free. I could not believe Thursdays were no longer field days. No friday morning inspections. I was just FREEEE! I remember driving home with no idea what I was going to do. I knew I wanted to go to college, but for what I had no clue. All I knew was that a college degree led to a much better lifestyle in the corps and it probably would be important in the civilian world.
Now, it is nine years later and I am graduating from medical school. I could have never predicted this.

That's it exactly. Freedom. When I got out I still had six weeks of pay (terminal leave), money in the bank, and nothing to do for the three months before college but relax and enjoy sleeping late and being responsible for nobody but myself.

Today, I have a wife, three kids, five dogs, a mortage, $170,000 in student loans, and (starting in July) the responsibilty of being a real doctor. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't trade any of this for anything in the world. I am just commenting that there are very few times in life when you are, within the boundaries of reality, absolutely free and my discharge from the Marines sure felt like one of them.

Obedeli said:

Brings a tear to my eye! Obedeli, I relate to this sentiment to the T.

Panda Bear said:
Today, I have a wife, three kids, five dogs, a mortage, $170,000 in student loans, and (starting in July) the responsibilty of being a real doctor. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't trade any of this for anything in the world. I am just commenting that there are very few times in life when you are, within the boundaries of reality, absolutely free and my discharge from the Marines sure felt like one of them.

This one too.

Surely I wasn't the only one looking in the rear view mirror at the jungle boots caught up in and around the telephone wire shouting out loud in a motivated voice, "FREE AT LAST, FREE AT LAST...GOD ALMIGHTY, FREE AT LAST!"

Panda Bear, Obedeli - appreciate the input.

I've seen some of the cut-offs that you two were mentioning, I guess I was hoping that they would be separated somehow in regards to the degree requirements (will be getting an A.A. in Arabic Lang/Culture from Defense Lang Institute.) Seems as the BPCM and non-science GPAs are the only distinctions on the AMCAS app.

I've got a long way to go -- I'll just bust my a$$ and try and do well on the MCAT.

Besides, it's too cold in Boston -- who needs Haavard anyways :D

EvoDevo said:
:laugh:

I dunno how you did it, but I plan on preparing for my rotations just like boot camp/infantry school: practicing the ability to repeat information whilst being yelled at. There's no way that an attending can be as bad as Sgt. Jones.

Hey man, I haven't seen you online in a while. You're the guy who's like a massive powerlifter, right? :thumbup: What specialty did you finally decide on?

My 500 bench press and 700+ squat days are over with. My knees and shoulders have been going downhill for years. Everytime I start going heavy - it's fun for a few weeks - then I'm in a world of pain. My goal it this point is to stay in shape and avoid the orthopod's office. I can still squat 400+ for reps and bench 315 for 8-10 reps, but that's as heavy as I go. I know that seems like a lot to most people, but in the back of my mind I know it's only a fraction of what I used to lift. We can't help but to always compare ourselves with our past performances. Hell, I can't even study like I used to!

Believe it or not, I chose psychiatry. People are shocked and in disbelief. I definitely dont look or act like your typical psychiatrist. However, I think that's a good thing. I like breaking stereotypes. I think all fields could use a little more variety. Hell, just being AMERICAN in psychiatry is breaking the mold, let alone being a 220 lb weightlifter, former jarhead.

My future may still hold some ooh-rah days, though, as I'm strongly considering doing a GMO tour with the Marines. It just seems so....appropriate. I know it would defer my training (and in psych I could probably go straight through residency if I wanted to), but you only live once, and I think it would be an awesome experience. They probably don't get many former Marine NCO's as Batallion docs....I think it would be a blast.

Teufelhunden said:
Believe it or not, I chose psychiatry. People are shocked and in disbelief. I definitely dont look or act like your typical psychiatrist. However, I think that's a good thing. I like breaking stereotypes. I think all fields could use a little more variety. Hell, just being AMERICAN in psychiatry is breaking the mold, let alone being a 220 lb weightlifter, former jarhead.

They probably don't get many former Marine NCO's as Batallion docs....I think it would be a blast.

You freakin' motivate me! I think I am gonna go put on 3 plates on each side and get some myself! Can I get an Ohh Rah?>

JMC_MarineCorps said:
I'm calling you out MARINES.

I'm trying to to keep tabs on all the Marines-turned-docs that post on SDN. There aren't many of us, thus it shouldn't be too hard to keep up with one another. Please post here or PM with your story and progress. This includes residency folks and beyond as well, if ya'll don't mind.

I'll go first:

-Parris Island, 0311/8152 (Security Forces)
-North Island, San Diego (MCSFCo)
-Pendleton 2/1, WestPac '97, 15th MEU, USS Boxer (LHD-4)
-'93-'97, E-4
-Married 10 years
-2 kids, 7 and 3
-Biochem major/Occidental College
-2 years cancer clinical trials research/radioimmunotherapy

1st year student at COMP in Pomona, CA. So far so good. Want to match Ortho ot EM three years from now.

So I know we got Evo (by the way Evo, like the new avatar) and there is an old salt dog named Teufel around here. Panda Bear too.

Let's go gents, fall-in! If you're the quiet type...PM please. That'll work just as well.

6/97 San Diego MCRD
3/7 Kilo mos 0311
last year with1/7 bravo (EAS non deployable)
got out 6/01 as E-5
currently senior at Ohio State
took MCAT 2 weeks ago, taking glide year to do research & get married
applications go out in a few weeks, hope to join you hard-chargers in med school

Panda Bear said:
I have been out for almost fourteen years and I have pretty much forgotten all of the BS. I think we all love the Corps but we love it a lot more now that we're out.

Things I Could Not Stand About Being A Marine:

1. Field Day. Good Lord. Is it that hard to clean the Barracks? Grab one squad, cut everybody else loose on liberty, and git-R-done. Never happened like that, of course. It usally ended up with the whole Company standing around waiting for somebody to inspect.

2. IG inspections. I understand the purpose of these things and I approve but I just never thought lining up socks and boxers on the top shelf of a wall locker was a productive use of time.

3. Waiting around for liberty. If I were the commanding officer I would never leave my Marines standing around with nothing to do late in the afternoon on the start of a three-day weekend. If there's something to be done then again, pick a "duty squad" and let everybody else go, fer' chrissakes. Sometimes our leaders (and I think everybody will agree that we have excellent officers in the Marines) don't realize that many Marines have girlfriends who live at the end of a thirteen hour drive.

I'm sure I can think of a lot more.

Okay, you just reminded me of the things which I *hated* about the Corps. Ugh. It always drove me crazy that people's lives were often ruled by stupid crap:

"Cpl. EvoDevo, a dustbunny was found underneath your rack." :rolleyes:

Similar feelings about liberty call. Again, hours wasted due to lack of foresight, miscommunication, etc. :thumbdown:

So I had my very very very last active duty time in the summer of '98. As I drove out of the Camp Pendleton gates I remember feeling both relieved and sad. Relieved that I could now go back to my life (in college) and learning things that really interested me, sad that I wouldn't have the chance to lead Marines anymore.

But let me tell you, the realization that I could take time for a nap in the middle of the day (and didn't have duty that night) was perhaps the best thing EVER! :thumbup:

Publius said:
Panda Bear, Obedeli - appreciate the input.

I've seen some of the cut-offs that you two were mentioning, I guess I was hoping that they would be separated somehow in regards to the degree requirements (will be getting an A.A. in Arabic Lang/Culture from Defense Lang Institute.) Seems as the BPCM and non-science GPAs are the only distinctions on the AMCAS app.

I've got a long way to go -- I'll just bust my a$$ and try and do well on the MCAT.

Besides, it's too cold in Boston -- who needs Haavard anyways :D
Way to go, Marine. Why don't you apply to Texas? It's nice and warm down here..... :D

Funny. I took the DLAB at enlistment and scored pretty well. Anyway, six months went by and I finally shipped out to boot camp @ SD. Turned out that my score was pretty old so I had to re-take....at the END of the three days of inprocessing. Needless to say, lack of sleep brought my score down a bit.

Still, I'm glad that I ended up being a 0231. Gave me a great perspective on the overall intel cycle.

Glad to have another intel geek aboard. :thumbup:

Teufelhunden said:
My 500 bench press and 700+ squat days are over with. My knees and shoulders have been going downhill for years. Everytime I start going heavy - it's fun for a few weeks - then I'm in a world of pain. My goal it this point is to stay in shape and avoid the orthopod's office. I can still squat 400+ for reps and bench 315 for 8-10 reps, but that's as heavy as I go. I know that seems like a lot to most people, but in the back of my mind I know it's only a fraction of what I used to lift. We can't help but to always compare ourselves with our past performances. Hell, I can't even study like I used to!
Heh. You are a strong man. I can do 315 for (at most) 2 reps. :laugh: Strangely, though I work out much less these days my strength has increased something like 30%.

Teufelhunden said:
Outstanding. :thumbup: You should do what you like and what you're good at, despite what other people think. You know? And with psych finally being based more and more in neuroscience, we're set for a golden age in the field.

You know, I have a MS3 friend keeps asking me what she should do (keep in mind that I'm a MS0)...she likes Family but her Opthamalogist father insists on her doing rads/optho/derm etc. Big struggle for her. I always say: "Do what you'll be happy at for the next 20-30 years." It's hard for me to fathom letting others make that kind of decision.

Teufelhunden said:
My future may still hold some ooh-rah days, though, as I'm strongly considering doing a GMO tour with the Marines. It just seems so....appropriate. I know it would defer my training (and in psych I could probably go straight through residency if I wanted to), but you only live once, and I think it would be an awesome experience. They probably don't get many former Marine NCO's as Batallion docs....I think it would be a blast.
So do I. Are you HPSP? Do you have a choice?

EvoDevo said:
Are you HPSP? Do you have a choice?

Yeah, Navy HPSP. As far as having a choice or not, the answer to that is "maybe." I mached into the Psych internship, but will have to reapply in the GME2 match to continue straight through. GMOs returning from the fleet back in to Navy residency have priority over those of us coming straight from internship. Therefore, it all depends on how many returning GMOs apply for the PGY2 psych spot at my program this year.

beefballs said:
6/97 San Diego MCRD
3/7 Kilo mos 0311
last year with1/7 bravo (EAS non deployable)
got out 6/01 as E-5
currently senior at Ohio State
took MCAT 2 weeks ago, taking glide year to do research & get married
applications go out in a few weeks, hope to join you hard-chargers in med school

E-5 in 4 years with the grunts....NICE! :cool:

Welcome BEEFBALLS, glad you stopped by and introduced yourself.

Make sure you don't procrastinate with the apps...get that thing out IMMEDIATELY! Good luck and let us know how it goes.

DVLDOC said:
Boot Camp, Great Mistakes, Aug 1996
HM "A" School, San Diego, Nov 1996
FMSS Camp Pendleton, Jan 1997
Naval Hospital San Diego, Feb 1997
1st Battalion 5th Marines, Camp Pendleton, Dec 1998
U.S.S. Constellation, Apr 2000
EAOS, Aug 2001
First undergrad semester, Hendrix College, Conway Arkansas
Reserve Callup, 2nd Battalion 23rd Marines, Jan 2002
Inactivation Jan 2003 (E5)
Return to undergrad work at Hendrix College
Set to graduate in May, Bachelor degree in Biochemistry/Molecular Biology
Applied to UAMS (local medical school) and 5 DO schools
Married for three years now to a Navy Nurse (just made O3 in the reserve)
Expecting first daughter on 31MAR05

Just got my acceptance from the waitlist this morning.

Sad news today, Devil Dogs:

I just found out that a Marine reservist serving in Iraq, who was just pulled off our class waitlist Monday, was one of the two Marines killed Sunday/Monday in the car bombing.

Here's the text of that article.

---------------------

Scott Huddleston
Express-News Staff Writer

On Mother's Day, at about 6 a.m., Marine Sgt. Aaron Cepeda Sr.'s wife got a call on her cell phone.

The caller identified himself as a member of the Marine Corps, Ella Cepeda recalled. He said there had been an accident but couldn't tell her the details over the phone. He asked her to come to the front door.

Two Marines in full dress uniforms were standing there, on the same 10-acre spread in Elmendorf where Aaron Cepeda had helped build his family's two-story house, swam in their pool and gone fishing with his son at a stocked pond.

It was supposed to be where he'd raise his children while chasing his dream of becoming a cardiovascular surgeon.

The Marines had news that put those plans to rest. Cepeda, 22, was one of two San Antonio Marine reservists killed late Saturday by a suicide bomber in a car in Anbar province, Iraq.

The other, Lance Cpl. Lance T. Graham, 26, had kidded with Cepeda when they visited Las Vegas before deploying that he was too young to be giving orders.

"So I'm being pushed around by a 22-year-old?" Graham quipped, Cepeda's wife recalled.

Playful taunting was at the core of their bond. Graham was a Madison High School graduate and Texas Longhorns fan. Cepeda had gone to Health Careers High School and was an Aggie, with a pre-med degree from Texas A&M University at Corpus Christi.

In Iraq, however, in the 3rd Battalion, 25th Regiment, 4th Marine Division, they were like family. Cepeda's parents would send $60 worth of jerky in a care package, and it would be gone in a day, since he'd share it with Graham and others in his unit.

They ate together, and on Saturday they died together.

Cepeda's son, Aaron Jr., turns 5 Thursday. Hearing him say "my daddy's dead" or "he says he's going to come back" was tough enough for relatives.

But when he said, "Mom, I told Daddy not to get on the bus, but he did," recalling that day in January at San Antonio's Marine Reserve center, that might have been the hardest.

"What I hate is that it'll be a closed coffin," said the Marine's father, Michael Cepeda Sr.

As a former helicopter pilot in Vietnam, Michael Cepeda Sr. knows a person in uniform doesn't question a government's reasons for a war. Yet he had urged his son to come home a few weeks ago after a mortar round threw him 10 feet, injuring his back and leaving him deaf in one ear.

His son could have returned, Michael Cepeda said, and had the church wedding he'd longed for. He could've studied at the University of Texas Health Science Center, which called his wife Monday to say he'd been accepted at the medical school. He could have raised little "A.J." and Journee, his 16-month-old daughter, on the wooded acreage he would've inherited, where he'd lived all his life.

But the Marines' motto is semper fidelis —always faithful. He stayed in Iraq and hoped to return to San Antonio with his buddies in the fall.

"I told him to be careful about cars, to shoot and ask questions later," his father said. "But he didn't want to get into trouble. If he saw a car zig-zagging and could sense danger, he didn't know if he should shoot or not."

Funeral arrangements are pending with Angelus Funeral Home. A service and burial are planned at St. Anthony's Church in Elmendorf.

Aaron Cepeda also is survived by his mother, Diana Cepeda, and an older brother, Michael Jr.

Though Aaron was fit and athletic, he was preceded in death in recent years by two younger brothers who were disabled and in poor health. His father long has suspected the effects of his exposure to the defoliant Agent Orange in Vietnam.

Aaron's strength, intellect and drive always defied that notion.

"He was my pride and joy," Michael Cepeda Sr. said.

Ella Cepeda, who recently turned 24, received a birthday card from her husband over the weekend.

Now, the family will have to prepare for Aaron Jr.'s birthday, just a few days before they bury his daddy.

EvoDevo said:
Sad news today, Devil Dogs:

I just found out that a Marine reservist serving in Iraq, who was just pulled off our class waitlist Monday, was one of the two Marines killed Sunday/Monday in the car bombing.

Here's the text of that article.

---------------------

Scott Huddleston
Express-News Staff Writer

On Mother's Day, at about 6 a.m., Marine Sgt. Aaron Cepeda Sr.'s wife got a call on her cell phone.

The caller identified himself as a member of the Marine Corps, Ella Cepeda recalled. He said there had been an accident but couldn't tell her the details over the phone. He asked her to come to the front door.

Two Marines in full dress uniforms were standing there, on the same 10-acre spread in Elmendorf where Aaron Cepeda had helped build his family's two-story house, swam in their pool and gone fishing with his son at a stocked pond.

It was supposed to be where he'd raise his children while chasing his dream of becoming a cardiovascular surgeon.

The Marines had news that put those plans to rest. Cepeda, 22, was one of two San Antonio Marine reservists killed late Saturday by a suicide bomber in a car in Anbar province, Iraq.

The other, Lance Cpl. Lance T. Graham, 26, had kidded with Cepeda when they visited Las Vegas before deploying that he was too young to be giving orders.

"So I'm being pushed around by a 22-year-old?" Graham quipped, Cepeda's wife recalled.

Playful taunting was at the core of their bond. Graham was a Madison High School graduate and Texas Longhorns fan. Cepeda had gone to Health Careers High School and was an Aggie, with a pre-med degree from Texas A&M University at Corpus Christi.

In Iraq, however, in the 3rd Battalion, 25th Regiment, 4th Marine Division, they were like family. Cepeda's parents would send $60 worth of jerky in a care package, and it would be gone in a day, since he'd share it with Graham and others in his unit.

They ate together, and on Saturday they died together.

Cepeda's son, Aaron Jr., turns 5 Thursday. Hearing him say "my daddy's dead" or "he says he's going to come back" was tough enough for relatives.

But when he said, "Mom, I told Daddy not to get on the bus, but he did," recalling that day in January at San Antonio's Marine Reserve center, that might have been the hardest.

"What I hate is that it'll be a closed coffin," said the Marine's father, Michael Cepeda Sr.

As a former helicopter pilot in Vietnam, Michael Cepeda Sr. knows a person in uniform doesn't question a government's reasons for a war. Yet he had urged his son to come home a few weeks ago after a mortar round threw him 10 feet, injuring his back and leaving him deaf in one ear.

His son could have returned, Michael Cepeda said, and had the church wedding he'd longed for. He could've studied at the University of Texas Health Science Center, which called his wife Monday to say he'd been accepted at the medical school. He could have raised little "A.J." and Journee, his 16-month-old daughter, on the wooded acreage he would've inherited, where he'd lived all his life.

But the Marines' motto is semper fidelis —always faithful. He stayed in Iraq and hoped to return to San Antonio with his buddies in the fall.

"I told him to be careful about cars, to shoot and ask questions later," his father said. "But he didn't want to get into trouble. If he saw a car zig-zagging and could sense danger, he didn't know if he should shoot or not."

Funeral arrangements are pending with Angelus Funeral Home. A service and burial are planned at St. Anthony's Church in Elmendorf.

Aaron Cepeda also is survived by his mother, Diana Cepeda, and an older brother, Michael Jr.

Though Aaron was fit and athletic, he was preceded in death in recent years by two younger brothers who were disabled and in poor health. His father long has suspected the effects of his exposure to the defoliant Agent Orange in Vietnam.

Aaron's strength, intellect and drive always defied that notion.

"He was my pride and joy," Michael Cepeda Sr. said.

Ella Cepeda, who recently turned 24, received a birthday card from her husband over the weekend.

Now, the family will have to prepare for Aaron Jr.'s birthday, just a few days before they bury his daddy.

:( Dude, that was a tough one to read....what a ****ty story. I would save a seat at your school for him in his honor. Sounds like going there would have been a dream come true.

DAMN!

JMC_MarineCorps said:
:( Dude, that was a tough one to read....what a ****ty story. I would save a seat at your school for him in his honor. Sounds like going there would have been a dream come true.

DAMN!
Yeah, I'm trying to figure what we can do. Maybe a scholarship? Holding the seat open's not really an option.

EvoDevo said:
Yeah, I'm trying to figure what we can do. Maybe a scholarship? Holding the seat open's not really an option.

Don't hold a true seat for him, but an honorary seat. I don't know what to say. Poor family....

I orignally considered posting this in the premed forum but there are some nasty folks there who would turn his death into a giant political argument thread :mad: so I quickly and wisely changed my mind. Also, there are gunners who would joke that a spot was still open. My rage would know no limits if any of these things happened. His story should remain here honored by his brothers in the Corps.

Obedeli said:
Don't hold a true seat for him, but an honorary seat. I don't know what to say. Poor family....
Right, honorary seat. I wonder if the local Marine Corps cadre (or his unit when they get back?) would be willing to help us set something up at orientation. Maybe a scholarship for his kid or something. Ideas would be welcome.

Obedeli said:
I orignally considered posting this in the premed forum but there are some nasty folks there who would turn his death into a giant political argument thread :mad: so I quickly and wisely changed my mind. Also, there are gunners who would joke that a spot was still open. My rage would know no limits if any of these things happened. His story should remain here honored by his brothers in the Corps.
You know what? I had the very same thoughts. I'd want to reach through the web and choke some douchenozzles.

Evo,
It kills me to think but he WOULD have been your friend. There aren't many marines in medical school and he would have been your buddy. In August, please let this thread know how he was recognized.

Obedeli said:
Evo,
It kills me to think but he WOULD have been your friend. There aren't many marines in medical school and he would have been your buddy. In August, please let this thread know how he was recognized.
You're probably right.

*sigh*

I will let y'all know, I promise.

I was hardly able to finish reading this thread. I say we start a scholarship fund for the Marine's kid, and have Evo present it at orientation to the Marine's family. I'll give a hundred bucks if you can get 9 more of us to do the same. A minimum of 1,000 bucks placed in some government bond or other fund could mature to be of some use when the kid is of age. I think the school and the UT system is responsible now to do something in this kid's honor as well. I am just amazed at how young this kid was and how capable he was of getting into medical school in addition to being a Marine. Most guys from the Marine's who go to medical school do it around age 26 or later. This shows he was on the ball, and all while being a father. This deserves some credit.

PACtoDOC said:
I was hardly able to finish reading this thread. I say we start a scholarship fund for the Marine's kid, and have Evo present it at orientation to the Marine's family. I'll give a hundred bucks if you can get 9 more of us to do the same. A minimum of 1,000 bucks placed in some government bond or other fund could mature to be of some use when the kid is of age. I think the school and the UT system is responsible now to do something in this kid's honor as well. I am just amazed at how young this kid was and how capable he was of getting into medical school in addition to being a Marine. Most guys from the Marine's who go to medical school do it around age 26 or later. This shows he was on the ball, and all while being a father. This deserves some credit.
Sounds like a good idea. I've been giving your idea some thought. I'll call the school tomorrow to tell them about the idea.

I can throw in $100.

UAMS in Little Rock, my first choice.

EvoDevo said:
Sounds like a good idea. I've been giving your idea some thought. I'll call the school tomorrow to tell them about the idea.

I can throw in $100.
Did you get some info? I'd be willing to contribute as well.

MCRD SanDiego 1/86 (2531)
SJSU BA Political Science 93
Pittsburgh MD 03
UMass EM resident

Semper Fi

DrYo12 said:
Did you get some info? I'd be willing to contribute as well.
Not yet. I need to prod folks again. I'll keep everyone updated.

tonem said:
MCRD SanDiego 1/86 (2531)
SJSU BA Political Science 93
Pittsburgh MD 03
UMass EM resident

Semper Fi
Hey, welcome to the thread. Though I can see from your join date that you've been with us for quite a while. :thumbup:

Update:

I spoke with Sgt. Cepeda's widow this afternoon [:(], and I've gotten the okay. I'm going to contact her bank today, and when I get the info I'll post it up.

Semper Fi.

Obedeli said:

That would be the epitome of bad taste, but it wouldn't surprise me, either. :thumbdown: :rolleyes: Anyway, even people who oppose the war have no reason for not supporting their countrymen (and women!) over there in harm's way. What a sad story. Evo, I would like to contribute some money also. I'm not a former service member, and I had never even read this thread before today (I just did now because I noticed your name as the most recent poster ;) ) but I am touched and would like to help. Aren't there two kids, the boy and also an infant daughter? If enough people want to contribute, maybe you could set something up for her, too.

QofQuimica said:
That would be the epitome of bad taste, but it wouldn't surprise me, either. :thumbdown: :rolleyes: Anyway, even people who oppose the war have no reason for not supporting their countrymen (and women!) over there in harm's way. What a sad story. Evo, I would like to contribute some money also. I'm not a former service member, and I had never even read this thread before today (I just did now because I noticed your name as the most recent poster ;) ) but I am touched and would like to help. Aren't there two kids, the boy and also an infant daughter? If enough people want to contribute, maybe you could set something up for her, too.
Hiya Q:

That would be fabulous! I'm working on that as we speak and hopefully soon I'll have a bank account/address that we can all send out $$ to. I really, really appreciate both your attitude (viz. supporting the troops) and your generosity. :)

And btw, I'm 33. ;)