*** The OFFICIAL USMC-TO-DOC thread ***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Okay, so I put an update on our class message board:

---------------------

Hi everyone:

Sad news. As some of you may know, Sgt. Aaron Cepeda, a Marine reservist serving in Iraq, was one of the two Marines killed 9 May as a result of terrorist action. What makes this relevant to us all is that Aaron was to be a member of the class of 2009, and his death leaves his wife and two children horribly bereft.

Well, they say that Marines are a family forever and anon, and we always take care of our own. I suggested establishing a scholarship fund for Aaron's two children, and several Marines and other military folks from SDN have pledged $$ towards a scholarship fund. Anyway, I called Aaron's widow today [:(] and told her about the plans to raise money for her kid's college money. She was obviously very upset about Aaron's passing, yet also very touched by the offer.

Here's where we come in. Since Aaron was to be a member of our class, I'd like to invite everyone to pledge some amount of money to the scholarship fund. I will be contacting the administration early next week to coordinate; Hopefully we can spread the word to the rest of the Medical School and UHTHSCSA family. In addition, I'll also be coordinating with the US Marine Corps unit to which Aaron belonged, so perhaps we can present the scholarship to her at some point. I'm totally open to suggestions.

For those of you willing to help out, I'll post the information on the address of the bank as soon as I get it.

I'm already very proud of our class as I've met and spoken with so many of you long before classes have even begun. Thanks for listening.

(The newspaper article detailing the story will be posted below)
------------------------------------

Members don't see this ad.

EvoDevo said:
Hiya Q:

That would be fabulous! I'm working on that as we speak and hopefully soon I'll have a bank account/address that we can all send out $$ to. I really, really appreciate both your attitude (viz. supporting the troops) and your generosity. :)

And btw, I'm 33. ;)

Tee hee, I know, I clicked on your link earlier and saw that. So actually you really ARE a fossil. I'm "only" 30. :smuggrin: But I do know what you mean about feeling a little out of place with a bunch of traditional aged pre-meds sometimes. The funniest thing for me is that many of the ones I interact with are my former students from lab or from Kaplan. And honestly, they are the ones who are holding my hand and getting me through this crazy process. They really have been super supportive for the most part. But the role reversal is still a little weird. :D

How would you feel about posting a new thread asking for contributions in the non-trad forum if you don't want to do it in pre-allo? I think that a lot of SDNers will want to contribute to help these kids. So many people have family members in the services even if they never were in themselves. My ex went to Kuwait for Desert Storm.

EvoDevo said:
Okay, so I put an update on our class message board:

---------------------

Hi everyone:

Sad news. As some of you may know, Sgt. Aaron Cepeda, a Marine reservist serving in Iraq, was one of the two Marines killed 9 May as a result of terrorist action. What makes this relevant to us all is that Aaron was to be a member of the class of 2009, and his death leaves his wife and two children horribly bereft.

Well, they say that Marines are a family forever and anon, and we always take care of our own. I suggested establishing a scholarship fund for Aaron's two children, and several Marines and other military folks from SDN have pledged $$ towards a scholarship fund. Anyway, I called Aaron's widow today [:(] and told her about the plans to raise money for her kid's college money. She was obviously very upset about Aaron's passing, yet also very touched by the offer.

Here's where we come in. Since Aaron was to be a member of our class, I'd like to invite everyone to pledge some amount of money to the scholarship fund. I will be contacting the administration early next week to coordinate; Hopefully we can spread the word to the rest of the Medical School and UHTHSCSA family. In addition, I'll also be coordinating with the US Marine Corps unit to which Aaron belonged, so perhaps we can present the scholarship to her at some point. I'm totally open to suggestions.

For those of you willing to help out, I'll post the information on the address of the bank as soon as I get it.

I'm already very proud of our class as I've met and spoken with so many of you long before classes have even begun. Thanks for listening.

(The newspaper article detailing the story will be posted below)
------------------------------------
I got 20 bucks saying Evo Devo will be the c/o 2009's class president. There is more to the word "president" than the name and your actions exemplify leadership . Good job dude!

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay folks. The deposit account for the scholarship fund should be good to go by the end of the week. I'll post the information here when I get it. In addition, I've gotten permission from the SDN honchos to post the info in a couple of places here on SDN.

I really appreciate the support and ideas.

Semper Fi.

fellas (and fellettes)!

what's happening? i saw a thread of fellow marines and i had to check it out. great to meet all of you and congrats on your aspirations and successes!

heartbreaking about sgt capeda - and for everyone hurt or killed out there. i think the fund is an excellent idea. unfortunately there will be more.

i have a (rather frivolous) theory about the middle east/central asia. most of you guys have been there so you'll know what i mean. the reason these people are so angry is that they live in the most miserable place on this planet. it is truly armpit of the world. so people who live there are just pissed off, some to such a degree that they'll fly planes into buildings, resort to terrorism, etc. if i grew up in saudi i'd be pretty pissed off too.

i've probably offended some arab-american marine, but it's a joke. i was just trying to get you guys to laugh.

evo - my considerable deductive reasoning skills lead to to think you're pete. if not then there are some strange coincidences happening here. this is jeremy's friend vj.

v j said:
fellas (and fellettes)!

what's happening? i saw a thread of fellow marines and i had to check it out. great to meet all of you and congrats on your aspirations and successes!

heartbreaking about sgt capeda - and for everyone hurt or killed out there. i think the fund is an excellent idea. unfortunately there will be more.

i have a (rather frivolous) theory about the middle east/central asia. most of you guys have been there so you'll know what i mean. the reason these people are so angry is that they live in the most miserable place on this planet. it is truly armpit of the world. so people who live there are just pissed off, some to such a degree that they'll fly planes into buildings, resort to terrorism, etc. if i grew up in saudi i'd be pretty pissed off too.

i've probably offended some arab-american marine, but it's a joke. i was just trying to get you guys to laugh.

evo - my considerable deductive reasoning skills lead to to think you're pete. if not then there are some strange coincidences happening here. this is jeremy's friend vj.
Yep. You're spot on, dude. :D

Drop me an email: [email protected]. I'm headed to lunch but I'll be back later. :thumbup:

Not officially a marine, though I have a lot of marine brothers. I am a hospital corpsman who served with 5th Force Recon Company and 3rd Recon Battalion in Okinawa, Japan. I owe the Marine Corps and a crusty master diver for my current situation as an officer who is about to begin medical school at the USUHS.

DeepSeaCorpsman said:
Not officially a marine, though I have a lot of marine brothers. I am a hospital corpsman who served with 5th Force Recon Company and 3rd Recon Battalion in Okinawa, Japan. I owe the Marine Corps and a crusty master diver for my current situation as an officer who is about to begin medical school at the USUHS.

Motivating stuff! Congrats!

DeepSeaCorpsman said:

Bout freaking time another devil doc got here! We are outnumbered here, but in good company nonetheless! Congrats on starting med school. I can't think of any place I would rather NOT be than starting med school, but we all have to start before we can finish. Your corpsman years will pay dividends in the next few I can promise. Nice meeting ya.

MM MSIII.999

C/O 2006

Okay folks! The deposit-only account for Aaron Cepeda's kids has been set up at Washington Mutual.

The plan is to collect the money for the next couple of months or so, and then to present the money to Aaron's widow. I was thinking sometime during orientation or shortly thereafter.

Also for the record, a letter is being sent to the Dean of Academic affairs outlining the process, and to keep them informed of what's happening. Hopefully if we can get the adminstration onboard then we can get the word out the the UTHSCSA family. :)

Finally, I'll be contacting the Veteran's of Foreign Wars (VFW), American Legion, the Marines of San Antonio, and anyone else that I can think of. Suggestions are totally welcome. I would like for us to do the right thing for Aaron's family. After all, Marines take care of their own, dammit! :)

For those interested in donating:

****** Checks may be sent to the following Washington Mutual branch in Houston, or whichever is branch is closest:

Washington Mutual Bank FA
Richmond Financial Center 1879
3759 Richmond Avenue
Houston, TX 77046

Checks (or cash if depositing in person) may be made out to:

1."Aaron and Journee Cepeda Scholarship Fund"

***OR***

2. The deposit account's number: 1812139227

If there are ANY questions about any part of the scholarship drive, please feel free to email me at: [email protected]. I may also be reached via phone. PM or email me for the number.
Thanks everyone!

P

Also, check out the announcement at the top of this (or any) forum. There's a button for paypal donations.

Thanks, guys! :)

When I Say Motivated You Say Dedicated...

I Don't Know But I've Been Told....

Give Me That Old Marine Corps Spirit....

Back In 1775...my Marine Corps Came Alive...

Just showing my peeps some love...its been a while! How's everyone doin?

Members don't see this ad :)
EvoDevo said:
Sounds like a good idea. I've been giving your idea some thought. I'll call the school tomorrow to tell them about the idea.

I can throw in $100.
PM me I can throw in on this as well

Okay found the bank stuff, missed in in my rush to reply

Just saw this post, got to add myself in as well

RTC, Corps School Great Lakes
Aerospace Medical Technician School
Field Medical Service School
MCAS Cherry Point, NC. MAG-14
VMR-1 Naval Search and Rescue Medical Technician

B.A. Liberal Arts from West Virginia University. Up in Ohio now with my wife and newborn daughter. Working and taking my pre-reqs, plus some more classes to raise up the GPA.

So, I visit this website at the request of the premed advisor at my school, and was (pleasantly) stunned to see not a few random posts, but an entire thread of Marines and occasional Corpsmen.
Terrible news about Sgt Cepeda. I had a few friends in Iraq with 3/25 that were killed by mines back in June. :( I shed more than one tear for them, let's just leave it at that.
I was in from Jul 94 to Dec 04, mostly reserves with a few recent, occasional stints at IIMEF-G3 for fun.
Bootcamp plt 2030 (Sandy Eggo) Jul-Sept 94
SOI West (0311) Sept-Dec 94
Dec 94-Jan02 F 2/23
Jan02-Dec02 IIMEF G3 (Unitas 43-02)
Jan03-Oct03 I 3/23 (MCCAGC and then Iraq)
Jan04-Aug04 IIMEF G3 (Untas 45-04, again.... :rolleyes: )
Aug04-Dec04 F 2/23
I never really did anything with myself while in the reserves, and am now kicking myself for not a) just going on active duty and/or b)why didn't I do anything useful with my time, like become an EMT-P or something? oh well, no use crying over spilt milk.
So, here I am and now I wanna be a Dr. I'm looking into the HPSP (I'd like to be a Bn Doc when I grow up, if my wife'll let me....) and USUHS.
Nice to meet you all,

NLW

Great idea of the thread and congrats to all the former Marines who are now in medical school or in the process of applying.
I am a second-year at Drexel University College of Medicine.
Here's my background:
George Washington University- BA International Affairs 1992 (NROTC Marine Option scholarship)
The Basic School, 4-92 Delta Company
1st Battalion, 12th Marines (Rein) , Communications Officer (1993-95)
2nd Battalion, 3rd Marines, S-6 Officer (K-Bay and UDP to Okinawa)(1995-96)
OIC, Marine Communications Detachment, USS Peleliu (LHA-5)(1996-98), deployed on WestPac 2-97 with 13th MEU(SOC).
Naval Postgraduate School, MS Joint C4I, (1998-2000)
Equipment Requirements, Marine Corps Combat Development Command (my payback tour for NPS) 2000-2004. Although working in the Beltway sucked, this is the only way I could have finished all my pre-reqs, study for and take the MCAT, apply, and interview while on active duty. For that, I am thankful. I did my post-bacc in the evening at American University in Washington, DC.
I did take the Navy HPSP so now I am an Ensign in the inactive reserves. I am interested in EM, IM, and FP.
There were two other officers (an F-18 NFO and a Logisitics officer) at my command who were applying to medical school, one went to USUHS. I don't where the other one went.
This is an important thread. Before I got out, I talked to a lot of Marines who were interested in medicine but didn't feel qualified enough to apply or to start their pre-reqs... hopefully some of them will stumble across this thread and see that it can be done.
Semper Fi.

For the salt dawgs...there will be a magic show at 0900.

Chaplain Charlie will tell you how the free world will conquer communism.

Seriously though...welcome all...please continue to post your accomplishments on here...this will be a way for all of us to keep tabs and maybe have a drink together on Nov. 10th of each year for those who are in the same geographical location.

Marines in medical school/Marines turned doc must be one of the rarest breeds around.

GySgt Hartman: "Your're not a doctor...you're a KILLER!"

JMC: "A killer, aye SIR!"

GySgt Hartman: "You got a war cry?"

JMC: "War cry?"

GySgt Hartman: "Arrrrrgggggghhhh....that's a war cry. Let me hear your war cry!"

JMC: "Arrrrrghhhhh!"

GySgt Hartman: "You don't scare me...work on it."

Unbelievable, I thought I was the only one!

MSgtLou here, about to retire after 21 and enter a PA school next year. I have my first interview NEXT WEEK! Here is my history:

MCRD SD 1985
MCAS El Toro VMA-214 Blacksheep
HM & S-13

MCAS Yuma VMA-311 Tomcats, VMA-214 Blacksheep, MAG-13, MALS-13

MCRD SD 1st Batt "D" Co. (Yes, I was a DI, so drop your trash and get on your stinkin faces!)

Not to mention the 31 countries, 11th, 13th, 15th, & 31st MEUs

I graduated Summa Cum Laude at NAU, surprising many because as you pointed out, people have this idea that Marines are not to sharp. Just because a man charges a machine gun, doesn't mean he's stupid; it means he has loyalty to his fellow Marines who are getting shot at, honor because he said he would, and a whole lotta guts! SF

Any Leathernecks have any advice for my PA school interview, please post them for me. And thanks for being there with me, in Kuwait, Iraq, and now the medical profession, Top

MSgtLou said:

MSgtLou here, about to retire after 21 and enter a PA school next year. I have my first interview NEXT WEEK! Here is my history:

MCRD SD 1985
HM & S-13

MCRD SD 1st Batt "D" Co. (Yes, I was a DI, so drop your trash and get on your stinkin faces!)

I graduated Summa Cum Laude at NAU, surprising many because as you pointed out, people have this idea that Marines are not to sharp. Just because a man charges a machine gun, doesn't mean he's stupid; it means he has loyalty to his fellow Marines who are getting shot at, honor because he said he would, and a whole lotta guts! SF

Any Leathernecks have any advice for my PA school interview, please post them for me. And thanks for being there with me, in Kuwait, Iraq, and now the medical profession, Top
Hi everyone! Glad to see that we have some new blood! Sorry that I haven't been around much but exams sort of got in the way.

Top!! HOLEE-****. Welcome to the club. Just an old Sgt here, trying hard tp slog my way through the first year of med school.

As for your interview, I think that you already probably know how to do it. Keep it professional, keep it light and you should be fine. You probably want to have rehearsed your "Why do you want to be in PA school?" and "What do you think are your best and worst features."

Seriously. You only get one chance to make a good impression, so rehearse your answers to the most common questions so that when/if they DO get asked, you're smooth like buttah. :)

Good luck. Where's the interview???

MSgtLou said:

MCRD SD 1985
HM & S-13

Well...what do we have here? A freakin' LIFER -- Outstanding!

Congrats on an honorable career in the Corps Top Lou. And congrats for the interview. Sounds like you are well on your way to another exciting field.

Advice for the interview...Irish Pennant your suit! Rehearse and be confident as to why you are a good fit for the job. I would say that you are a shoe-in unless you say something stupid like 'Its always been my way or the highway!'

Otherwise I say you are solid. Welcome to the thread Top.

EvoDevo said:
Hi everyone! Glad to see that we have some new blood! Sorry that I haven't been around much but exams sort of got in the way.

Top!! HOLEE-****. Welcome to the club. Just an old Sgt here, trying hard tp slog my way through the first year of med school.

As for your interview, I think that you already probably know how to do it. Keep it professional, keep it light and you should be fine. You probably want to have rehearsed your "Why do you want to be in PA school?" and "What do you think are your best and worst features."

Seriously. You only get one chance to make a good impression, so rehearse your answers to the most common questions so that when/if they DO get asked, you're smooth like buttah. :)

Good luck. Where's the interview???
Oh, and when were you with the 31st MEU? I was there when they revived the unit back in '92. :thumbup:

JMC_MarineCorps said:
How is the slogging going?
Going. Did really well on anatomy Monday, think I passed biochem/did well on phys today. Got immuno/histo, etc Friday. We'll see.

You?? How's the family?

Guess I'll add myself to the list:

TBS: Charlie Co 2002
MARCORSYSCOM: 2003
CISOC: (1-03) 2003
1st MAW G6: 2003
MWCS-18: 2003-Pres.
JTF-536 (Tsunami Relief): January 2005-April 2005 (Was on the Essex, and the Fort McHenry as the JTF S-6)

Currently stationed at Camp Foster, Okinawa. Billet: OpsO, Data Officer, Data Platoon Commander.

My EAS is July of 2006. I plan to get out and go into a good post-bac program. Good luck all!

Semper Fi!

Mr. Adventure said:
Guess I'll add myself to the list:

TBS: Charlie Co 2002
MARCORSYSCOM: 2003
CISOC: (1-03) 2003
1st MAW G6: 2003
MWCS-18: 2003-Pres.
JTF-536 (Tsunami Relief): January 2005-April 2005 (Was on the Essex, and the Fort McHenry as the JTF S-6)

Currently stationed at Camp Foster, Okinawa. Billet: OpsO, Data Officer, Data Platoon Commander.

My EAS is July of 2006. I plan to get out and go into a good post-bac program. Good luck all!

Semper Fi!
Camp Foster! You've got ourself a good billet. I was at Courtney way back when.

Welcome to the group!

FYI, a couple of my classmates are former AD AF pilots who did the post-bacc thing. You'll be here before you know it. :)

EvoDevo said:
Going. Did really well on anatomy Monday, think I passed biochem/did well on phys today. Got immuno/histo, etc Friday. We'll see.

You?? How's the family?

Sounds like an easy week to me. The family is good, thanks for asking. I am slogging my way through as well. No need to start looking into MBA programs just yet...they haven't caught on that I really know nothing.

Has anyone kept count? There must be at least a dozen Jarheads currently in med school/PA.

Personally, I don't see the giant leap from professional killer to professional healer. Service and selflessness. Pretty simple.

Good to see great things happen to the right people.

OOR Frickin RAH!

I am happy to have such a heartfelt welcome... No kidding, WHEREVER I go, I meet ex/retired Jarheads who always want to hook me up with friendship, help, and beer. God Bless em!

In answer to your questions, my PA Shool interview is at Midwestern U in Phoenix AZ., a college that is tied to Midwestern U in Ill. They have DO's, Pharmacy, etc and many other health care professional schools.

I have done 2 31st MEU's, one was in 1994 and the other was 97/98. That was the good one, we went to Bali & Brisbane. I think that the ACE was HMM-265 out of Futenma.

I am an AV-8B powerplants (Rolls-Royce) mechanic/Plane Captain (PC). I was originally an A-4 Mech/PC yet cross trained to Harriers in 1988. For that reason, I only stay at Kadena AFB when I go to the Rock

I have sailed with the New Orleans, Tarawa, Peliliu, and the Block-o-wood.

Funny you should mention the IP's, since I actually did that! I bought a new white shirt, tie etc. All of the things that I would have done to pass the Batt Com inspection, except getting new chevrons sewn on and cleaning my rifle.

"This is my stethescope, there are many like it but this one is mine..." SF

JMC_MarineCorps said:
Sounds like an easy week to me. The family is good, thanks for asking. I am slogging my way through as well. No need to start looking into MBA programs just yet...they haven't caught on that I really know nothing.
yeah man, I hear that it only gets harder from here on out. :eek:

You getting ready for boards and wards yet?

Max_Berry said:
Has anyone kept count? There must be at least a dozen Jarheads currently in med school/PA.

Personally, I don't see the giant leap from professional killer to professional healer. Service and selflessness. Pretty simple.

Good to see great things happen to the right people.
Hey Max. How's it going?

MSgtLou said:
OOR Frickin RAH!

I am happy to have such a heartfelt welcome... No kidding, WHEREVER I go, I meet ex/retired Jarheads who always want to hook me up with friendship, help, and beer. God Bless em!
Yep, that's the reality of the Corps. Best thing I ever did.

In answer to your questions, my PA Shool interview is at Midwestern U in Phoenix AZ., a college that is tied to Midwestern U in Ill. They have DO's, Pharmacy, etc and many other health care professional schools.
Hey Top, I hear good things about Midwestern. Is that where you're retiring to? 'Cause there' are some pretty good PA schools here in Texas, at Baylor College of Medicine (in Houston) and at Univ. of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio (where I'm in school).

I have done 2 31st MEU's, one was in 1994 and the other was 97/98. That was the good one, we went to Bali & Brisbane. I think that the ACE was HMM-265 out of Futenma.
I was with the MEU S2 shop for a while, then with III MEF G2. It's funny that you were there in '94 - that's when I left. ;)

I have sailed with the New Orleans, Tarawa, Peliliu, and the Block-o-wood.
:laugh: We used to call the Belleau Wood the "Death Star." That dang boat was so nasty that we expected the rats to jump ship at first opportunity.

Evo Devo,
You are correct that I am going to retire in AZ. I have 3 job offers upon graduation from PA School right here in Yuma. I see myself moving to eastern AZ. after 5-6 years though. Midwestern is a school that has some of the highest initial pass rates in the nation so it is a good choice. The cost sucks though..

What about money? How are the rest of you doing that? I plan on using my retirement, about $2,000 a month, less taxes and survivor benefits. Montgomery GI Bill which went up about $100 to 1,072. I have a house that I bought 15 years ago for $57,000 which has been appraised at $178,000 I guess a second mortgage/ refinnance is in order?

I will be a geo bachelor, just like DI duty... Won't see them anyway with my nose in a book. Anyone else doing this?

On the Peliliu, they had a mural naming the chow hall (galley) as the "GatorRock Cafe". I coined the name, "IHOCM", the International House Of Chile-Mac". I have heard that chow hall refered to it to this day! Good God, as a SSgt, I ate a lifetime supply of Chile-Mac, supplemented by an occasional plate of Chicken Adobo!

The Death Star... Why would the rats jump ship? Hell, they ran the damn thing! We were merley slaves transporting them from one of the globe to the other so that they could spread their genetic puddle!

EvoDevo said:
Camp Foster! You've got ourself a good billet. I was at Courtney way back when.

Welcome to the group!

FYI, a couple of my classmates are former AD AF pilots who did the post-bacc thing. You'll be here before you know it. :)

Thanks for the encouragement, bro! Camp Foster is definitely in the middle of everything. American Village has really grown up in the area outside the commissary gate. Camp Courtney's not that far away, though, and MEF has a great view of the ocean. It'll be wierd leaving the island. Kinda like reverse culture shock...

I just found the thread from a link in Gunny Ermy's signature.

My resume is on my website (pasted in below)...10 years worth of Naval Service in the Hospital Corps, and an FMF designator that predates the device.

http://www.ray-bernardportier.com/HHAT.JPG
http://www.ray-bernardportier.com/BULGCA.JPG

I was stationed on Camp Lejeune for 3 years. Med Battalion, 2nd FSSG; deployed with the 22nd MSSG in support of the 22nd MEU.

I'm thinking about doing a GMO tour when I graduate (20 months and counting).

Anybody else have a good time listening to rich spoiled white kids whine? Anyone else wish they could cycle the snot out of their pastey noses? :thumbup: :smuggrin:

Check out the military pics page on my website....

LEJEUNE'S MESSAGE

On November 10, 1775, a Corps of Marines was created by a resolution of the Continental Congress. Since that date, many thousand men have borne the name Marine. In memory of them, it is fitting that we who are Marines should commemorate the Birthday of our Corps by calling to mind the glories of its long and illustrious history.

The record of our Corps is one which will bear comparison with that of the most famous military organizations in the world's history. During 90 of the 146 years of it's existence the Marine Corps has been in action against the nations foes. From the battle of Trenton to the Argonne. Marines have won foremost honors in war, and in the long eras of tranquility at home. Generation after generation of Marines have grown gray in war in both hemispheres and in every corner of the seven seas that our country and its citizens might enjoy peace and security.

In every battle and skirmish since the birth of our Corps Marines have acquitted themselves with the greatest distinction, winning new honors on each occasion until the term Marine has come to signify all that is highest in military efficiency and soldierly virtue.

This high name of distinction and soldierly repute we who are Marines today have received from those who preceded us in the Corps. With it we also received from them the eternal spirit which has animated our Corps from generation to generation and has been the distinguishing mark of the Marines in every age. So long as that spirit continues to flourish Marines will be found equal to every emergency in the future as they have been in the past, and the men of our nation will regard us as worthy successors to the long line of illustrious men who have served as "Soldiers of the Sea" since the founding of the Corps.

10 November 2005
A MESSAGE FROM THE COMMANDANT OF THE MARINE CORPS
On November 10th, 1775, the Second Continental Congress resolved to raise two battalions of Continental Marines marking the birth of our United States Marine Corps. As Major General Lejeune’s message reminds us, the ensuing generations of Marines would come to signify all that is highest in warfighting excellence and military virtue. Each November as Marines the world over celebrate the birth of our Corps, we pay tribute to that long line of “Soldiers of the Sea” and the illustrious legacy they have handed down to us.
This past year has been one of continuous combat operations overseas and distinguished service here at home – a year of challenges that have brought out the very best in our Corps. In Iraq and Afghanistan, Marine courage and mastery of complex and chaotic environments have truly made a difference in the lives of millions. Marine compassion and flexibility provided humanitarian assistance to thousands in the wake of the South East Asian Tsunami, and here at home, Marines with AAVs, helicopters, and sometimes with their bare hands saved hundreds of our own fellow Americans in the wake of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita. Across the full spectrum of operations, you have showcased that Marines create stability in an unstable world, and have reinforced our Corps’ reputation for setting the standard of excellence.
The sense of honor, courage, and patriotism that epitomized those who answered that first call to arms 230 years ago is still indelibly imprinted on our ranks today. In commemorating our anniversary, let us strengthen our ties to the past by paying homage to those who have gone before us. As we honor the sacrifices of our wounded and fallen comrades, our commitment to one another remains unshakable. We take special pride in the actions of the Marines now serving in harm’s way, and rededicate ourselves to the service of our Nation and our Corps. Happy Birthday Marines, Semper Fidelis, and Keep Attacking!
M. W. Hagee General, U.S. Marine Corps

MSgtLou said:

MCRD SD 1985
HM & S-13

MSgt,

I just wanted to say that your story freaking motivated the @#$% out of me. You're the first former-DI I've seen on these forums, or anywhere for that matter, that is making the transition to the medical profession. Congratulations on an admirable career in the Corps, and I wish you the best of luck with your PA school application/interviews.

Semper Fi!

Hey teufelhunden....

I knew that I was going to be working in medicine someday, and in my all-encompassing desire to improve my bedside manner, I knew that the only way to increase my skill would be to do a few years as a DI.

I think I have an edge over other PA's and doctors because I have already had plenty of experience in dealing with malingerers and hypochondriacs... It is amazing how good everyone feels once the "O" course is taken off of the schedule.

I am currently on the alternate list at Midwestern, but I have a suspicion that I will get a letter of acceptance today or Monday since I wasn't about to accept "NO" as an answer! The lady at the admissions offfice told me, "I can really tell that you are a Marine because you never give up!"

Semper Fi Lt Nasky, I find it interesting that you are now a Sailor, but use a Marine venacular as your psuedonymn.... You are leatherneck, to the core!

Hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving. I'll be doing mtn climbers to work off the T-day festivities. :laugh:

MsgtLou, good luck with that acceptance letter. It always amazes people when they see how persistent we Jarheads are when we really want something. :smuggrin:

MSgtLou said:
Semper Fi Lt Nasky, I find it interesting that you are now a Sailor, but use a Marine venacular as your psuedonymn.... You are leatherneck, to the core!

He definitely is...the guy benches like 500lbs (why don't you post a pic right here with all those big wheels on the bar)...but more interesting than that is the guy who once played headgames with the boots will still be playing headgames in psychiatry! Man, I just noticed that Teufel....psych PGY-1....absolutely crazy (no pun intended!).

TopLou...awesome avatar...will the REAL Drill Instructor please stand up. Outstanding!

The REAL DI, hell, I was cruel like only a little guy can be! Speaking of DI, I am enclosing a photo of Lee Ermey. When I was in Kumait for the last war, he came by to visit Marines who were in the Combat Zone. I am standing behind Lee to the left. He talked with us, chewed our ass, and shook all of our hands. Oliver North came to visit us as well.

And Evo, you are so correct. Most civilians have no idea just how persistent a Marine can be! And after so many years, I have learned how to do it and not be a pest. As I hang up my hat, (cover?) I will do so knowing that I spent the best years of my life in one of the best brotherhoods a man could ever be part of. Semper Fi brothers, and I hope you said a prayer for the Devil Dogs over there in Iraq. We lost a Marine from Yuma 2 weeks ago, a MSgt. So say a prayer for MSgt Hunt. God Bless

Attachments

• Lee Ermy Kuwait.JPG
    Lee Ermy Kuwait.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 370
MSgtLou said:
The REAL DI, hell, I was cruel like only a little guy can be! Speaking of DI, I am enclosing a photo of Lee Ermey. When I was in Kumait for the last war, he came by to visit Marines who were in the Combat Zone. I am standing behind Lee to the left. He talked with us, chewed our ass, and shook all of our hands. Oliver North came to visit us as well.

And Evo, you are so correct. Most civilians have no idea just how persistent a Marine can be! And after so many years, I have learned how to do it and not be a pest. As I hang up my hat, (cover?) I will do so knowing that I spent the best years of my life in one of the best brotherhoods a man could ever be part of. Semper Fi brothers, and I hope you said a prayer for the Devil Dogs over there in Iraq. We lost a Marine from Yuma 2 weeks ago, a MSgt. So say a prayer for MSgt Hunt. God Bless
Awesome pic! :thumbup:

Oohrah devildogs! I am applying to DO schools this summer. Glad to see so many ex-military here. My brief service history:
(Prior to military)
Commercial fisherman in Alaska for two years.
Naval Training Center, Great Lakes IL. 1994
Field Medical Service School, Camp Johnson, Camp Lejeune Sep-Dec1994
Naval Hospital, Naval Air Station Jacksonville, Fl Jan1995-Jun1996
H&S Battalion, 1st FSSG, Camp Pendleton Jun1996-Nov1996
MSSG-13, 13th MEU, Camp Pendleton Nov1996-Feb1998
West-Pac: divided time between USS Pelileu and USS Comstock
Visited: Hawaii-Guam-Singapore-Phuket,Thailand-Dubai-Jebal Ali-Kuwait-Dubai-Phuket-Bali,Indonesia(SWEET!)-Darwin,Australia-Hawaii
22Area Branch Medical Clinic, Medical Battalion, Camp Pendleton Feb1998-Jul2000
I challenged the LVN(Licensed vocational nurse) boards in 1999 and got my discharge from the Navy in July 2000. I worked as an LVN part-time to full-time while I went to college at San Diego State. I graduated in 2004 with a bachelors in Microbiology with a 3.31 GPA.
I now live in Baltimore, Maryland (We moved here so my wife could attend Johns Hopkins accelerated BSN program) and am applying to DO programs this summer and I hope to attend a school in the Northeast/East coast as another coast to coast move is not in the cards! Its not the same when the military doesn't take care of the moving costs! Anyway, nice to meet all of you. Semper Fi.

Hey Gnarlydoc,

I noticed that you listed Hawaii, Phucket, and Dubai twice... Not trying to squeeze an inch in on me are ya?

I have been to all of those places, but out of all of the places I have been, I really only want to go back to Bali, Guam, and Spain. I would like to go to greater Europe, but haven't been there yet.

I was also at Jebel Ali, affectionately known by the rest of the MEU as "Gerbel Ally". I bet you can guess why.

Good luck on your DO school trials. You might also want to consider PA since you appear to be exceptionally well qualified for that. That is where I am headed. I have always liked Navy med people assigned to Marine units. They always appeared to be a cut above the rest of the Med personel. Semper Fi brother. Lou

just got accepted today, so happy, and the corps is what shaped who I am today.

JMC_MarineCorps said:
Fantastic...where to Beef Man?
NEOUCOM in Ohio, it is perfect for me logisticly b/c my wife will be able to finish up her last semester of nursing while I start med school.

by the way-any advice for some things I should do to prepare- I work full time at a research lab so I have the time (already finished undergrad) to try and work ahead