*** The OFFICIAL USMC-TO-DOC thread ***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Happy New Year, Devil Dogs! How was everyone's holiday?

We start the grind on Monday, round these parts. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

This thread needs a bump!
Intern year almost friggin over and lovin' it.

3rd Recon Battalion
2d Force Recon Company
Sgt

Heading to whatever school will accept me...

I'm in Georgia, so either MCG, Mercer, Ga-PCOM...

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh yeah, did the 31st MEU on the Essex, then the 26th MEU out of the Iwo Jima...

Iraq, Liberia, East Timor, and a bunch of other **** holes too...

Any of you devils got myspace pages?

DeepSeaCorpsman said:
Not officially a marine, though I have a lot of marine brothers. I am a hospital corpsman who served with 5th Force Recon Company and 3rd Recon Battalion in Okinawa, Japan. I owe the Marine Corps and a crusty master diver for my current situation as an officer who is about to begin medical school at the USUHS.

Who are you? I probably know you...

I was part of 5th Force when we switched to being 3rd Recon Battalion. Were you there for that mini eco challenge that ended with a bonfire on the beach?

Which master diver are you referring to? Is it Senior Chief Allred? I was there when he got promoted to senior...

Oorah. Proud to say that I'm a plankowner of the 31st MEU. I was with the reactivation in '92. (it was the Belleau Wood then) :thumbup:

Obdeli, glad to see you man.

PM me for my myspace page......

Hey fellow devil dogs! I just read Shooter, the autobiography of a sniper through Iraq and it was friggin motivating! While on long call taking crappy pages I flew through it. I highly recommend it!

Hey Marines.
My name is Daniel.. Im currently in the Marines and am set to EAS next month (honorably). I plan to pursue Medicine, Allopathic. Im still kinda unsure if Ill be able to maintain the 3.5+ i need in school due to my high school performance but i plan on giving it EVERYTHING i got.

-MAY 02 Parris Island
-DEC 02 3rd Amphibious Assault Battalion
-AUG 03-MAR 04 13th MEU SOC (Bahrain, Guam, Hawaii, Singapore, Kenya, Djbouti, Iraq)
-MAY 04-OCT 04 Iraq 3/7
-AUG 05-APR 06 Iraq 3/6

Sempre Fi.
Ruy, Daniel

ONYX4000GT said:
Hey Marines.
My name is Daniel.. Im currently in the Marines and am set to EAS next month (honorably). I plan to pursue Medicine, Allopathic. Im still kinda unsure if Ill be able to maintain the 3.5+ i need in school due to my high school performance but i plan on giving it EVERYTHING i got.

-MAY 02 Parris Island
-DEC 02 3rd Amphibious Assault Battalion
-AUG 03-MAR 04 13th MEU SOC (Bahrain, Guam, Hawaii, Singapore, Kenya, Djbouti, Iraq)
-MAY 04-OCT 04 Iraq 3/7
-AUG 05-APR 06 Iraq 3/6

Sempre Fi.
Ruy, Daniel
Welcome aboard, Marine. Glad to have another of Uncle Sam's Misbegotten Children getting ready to undergo this process.

:thumbup:

Obedeli said:
Hey fellow devil dogs! I just read Shooter, the autobiography of a sniper through Iraq and it was friggin motivating! While on long call taking crappy pages I flew through it. I highly recommend it!
Cool! Since I'm currently on summer break, I'm finally catching up with all the books I wanted to read. And I always like excellent recommendations.

BTW, has anyone seen "Jarhead"? I read the book and liked it but haven't heard good things regarding the movie. Wanna know if I should add it to my Netflix queue.

JARHEAD the movie isnt all its cracked out to be. Ive read the book and the book is much better then the movie. JARHEAD is catching ALOT of **** from high ranking Marine Corp Officials. I agree that somethings in the movie and book are kind of exaggerated but none the less they can be related to... Thats why I thought it was good reading material.

-Semper Fi

Sup Moto Dawgs!

Where's everyone at these days? Where are we celebrating our beloved Corps' bday this year? Evo's crib? How bout Panda's new spot in MI?

I'll even see if my size 52" chest will fit into my dress blues (40") -- old waist 36" --> new waist 40"...I don't think its gonna happen though.

What's that saying? "Not quite as lean, not quite as green..."

Oh man...its sad.

Welcome aboard, Marine. Glad to have another of Uncle Sam's Misbegotten Children getting ready to undergo this process.

:thumbup:

You can certainly do it. My high school GPA 2.69. College 3.6. Now in my 2nd year of residency. Good luck and stay motivated recruit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sup Moto Dawgs!

Where's everyone at these days? Where are we celebrating our beloved Corps' bday this year? Evo's crib? How bout Panda's new spot in MI?

I'll even see if my size 52" chest will fit into my dress blues (40") -- old waist 36" --> new waist 40"...I don't think its gonna happen though.

What's that saying? "Not quite as lean, not quite as green..."

Oh man...its sad.
Hey Dog,

I'm actually ass-deep in second year. Life as a MS2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> MS1. I am good with patients and only slightly dumber than I'd feared. :thumbup:

Hell, I even started running again and will be participating in my first marathon in January. Hoorah!

Hey Dog,

I'm actually ass-deep in second year. Life as a MS2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> MS1. I am good with patients and only slightly dumber than I'd feared. :thumbup:

Hell, I even started running again and will be participating in my first marathon in January. Hoorah!

Hey man, it gets better every year.

Glad to see you're training at least....I did this one last year (1st and only time so far) and didn't train at all and it hurt real bad. I'd love to see how that goes for you. Moto!

Hey anybody got a myspace account? I just made one...inspired by the folks in the EM forum...ala Dr. Quinn et. al.

Attachments

• DSC03682.jpg
    DSC03682.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 348
Hey man, it gets better every year.

Glad to see you're training at least....I did this one last year (1st and only time so far) and didn't train at all and it hurt real bad. I'd love to see how that goes for you. Moto!

Hey anybody got a myspace account? I just made one...inspired by the folks in the EM forum...ala Dr. Quinn et. al.
I've got one: PM for the address.

And holy crap! What an awesome ride! :D Was that taken at the MCM???? In any case, congrats on doing the marathon, dude. That's what I'm talking about. :thumbup: I promise to keep you updated on my progress.

EM, huh? :laugh: Why does that seem to be the specialty of choice for a lotta ex-Jarheads???

Thank GOD my intern year is over! I worked with fun people but it was demanding work. Life is good now.
Nice. Still glad you made the specialty and other choices you made? IIRC, you were a bit unhappy about that at one point...

In any case, congrats on finishing Hell Year. What's next for you?

Nice. Still glad you made the specialty and other choices you made? IIRC, you were a bit unhappy about that at one point...

In any case, congrats on finishing Hell Year. What's next for you?

Oh, yeah! There was a point in the spring where I felt like I would be an intern forever. It didn't help that I had the worst resident for the month. She demonstrated every attribute of leadership to be avoided by a good leader. Also, my jarhead mouth couldn't keep quiet and I let her know in very loud terms many times (yelling, sounding off). Anyhow, I am very happy in my specialty and glad my prelim year is over. If you have the choice, do a cush transitional year.

Oh, yeah! There was a point in the spring where I felt like I would be an intern forever. It didn't help that I had the worst resident for the month. She demonstrated every attribute of leadership to be avoided by a good leader. Also, my jarhead mouth couldn't keep quiet and I let her know in very loud terms many times (yelling, sounding off). Anyhow, I am very happy in my specialty and glad my prelim year is over. If you have the choice, do a cush transitional year.

Obedeli...what did you go into? Rads?

Rads all the way.
You're going to be living the sweet life. Congrats, bro. :thumbup:

I hear you on the poor leadership thing. It scares me to know that my residents and attendings in the years to come will very likely have little life experience, let alone leadership time. I've just got to learn to keep my head low and not sound off. :laugh:

Key leadership point that most non-military, egghead, micromanager leaders cannot understand.
MISSION OBJECTIVES
1.) Mission Accomplishment
2.) Troop Welfare

You will not see this very often in your leaders.

Key leadership point that most non-military, egghead, micromanager leaders cannot understand.
MISSION OBJECTIVES
1.) Mission Accomplishment
2.) Troop Welfare

You will not see this very often in your leaders.
a depressing thought, sir.

Semper Fi DevilDogs,

Camp Pendelton '97
6th Engr Spt BN H&S Company
1361 (Engineer)
Left school became a tech sector entreprenuer, did okay, and am now returning to school with about 2-3years of undergrad work ahead of me before I can take the MCAT.

I'm excited and motivated to enter into and succeed in med school.

Semper Fi DevilDogs,

Camp Pendelton '97
6th Engr Spt BN H&S Company
1361 (Engineer)
Left school became a tech sector entreprenuer, did okay, and am now returning to school with about 2-3years of undergrad work ahead of me before I can take the MCAT.

I'm excited and motivated to enter into and succeed in med school.

Welcome Moto!

Now get in formation....

<clearing throat>

Ahem...

To all who shall see these presents, greetings:

Know Ye, that reposing special trust and confidence in the fidelity and abilities of JMC_MarineCorps, I do appoint this junior medical student a full-fledged 3rd year medical student to rank as such from the fifth day of September, two thousand and six.

This appointee will therefore carefully and diligently discharge the duties of the grade to which appointed by doing and performing all manner of things thereunto pertaining. And I do strictly charge and require all personnel of lesser grade to render obedience to appropriate orders. And this appointee is to observe and follow such orders and directions as may be given from time to time by Superiors acting according to the rules and articles governing the disipline of Managed Health Care.

Given under my hand at Western University of Health Scinces, College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific this Fifth day of September, in the year of our Lord two thousand and six.

I dug up my Corporal citation!

MARINE FRIENDS v.s CIVILIAN FRIENDS

CIVILIAN FRIENDS: Tell you not to do something stupid when drunk
MARINE FRIENDS: Will post 360 security so you dont get caught

CIVILIAN FRIENDS: Call your parents Mr. and Mrs
MARINE FRIENDS: Call your parents Drunk as hell and tell them about the fat chick you tried to pick up

CIVILIAN FRIENDS: Bail you out of jail and tell you what you did was wrong.
MARINE FRIENDS: Will be sitting next to you saying, Damn...we ****ed up...but hey, that **** was fun as ****!"

CIVILIAN FRIENDS: Cry with you.
MARINE FRIENDS: laugh at you and tell you to put some vagasil on your *****.

CIVILIAN FRIENDS: Borrow your stuff for a few days then give it back.
MARINE FRIENDS: Keep your stuff untill they PCS.

CIVILIAN FRIENDS: know a few things about you.
MARINE FRIENDS: Could write a book with direct quotes from you.

CIVILIAN FRIENDS: Will leave you behind if that's what the crowd is doing.
MARINE FRIENDS: Will kick the whole crowds ass that left you.

CIVILIAN FRIENDS: Would knock on your door.
MARINE FRIENDS: Walk right in and say, "I'm home!"

CIVILIAN FRIENDS: Will take your drink away when they think you've had enough.
MARINE FRIENDS: Will look at you stumbling all over the place and say, "Bitch, you better drink the rest of that ****, you know we don't waste.. That's alcohol abuse!!!"

CIVILIAN FRIENDS: Will say "I can't handle Tequila anymore".
MARINE FRIENDS: Will say "okay just one more" 2 minutes later "okay just one more".

CIVILIAN FRIENDS: Will talk **** to the person who talks **** about you.
MARINE FRIENDS: Will knock them the **** out!!

CIVILIAN FRIENDS: Will tell you "They'd take a bullet for you."
MARINE FRIENDS: Will actually take a bullet for you.

Hey fellow Marines..
I thought that friends v friends was funny.. Update on me.. I EAS'd this summer and was unsure about college (especially pre-med.) On top of that, my HS gpa was a whopping 2.3(with an F in chem!!.) Well Ive been in college now full-time for about 1 1/2 months (1st semester.) I dont want to jinx myself so Ill just say that a 4.0 is NOT out of the question. Im surprised what a bit of effort can do in the academic atmosphere. Credit is going to the Marines for whatever I accomplish. Semper Fi fellas..

--Ill keep you guys posted

--JMC, LOL nice warrant for your 3rd year..

Hey brothers, how are you guy's? Here is my run-down
-1996-2000 USMC
-Parris Island
- New River MCAS MWSS 272 - 97-00 (3533)
- 22nd MEU Mediterranean Float 1999-2000 USS Bataan
- 2002 recalled for a year (5811)
- 2003 Kent State to present
- Taking MCAT in spring

Semper Fi Brothers

That's also the difference between Family Medicine and Emergency Medicine.

Boy, I hope you're right about that...that's one of the things I miss most of all.

How's life in MI treating you during these cold, winter days?

And this thread has sputtered out quite a bit...I was hoping that we could move it to MySpace (see my link above) where we can get to know each other a bit more. I understand though if its not quite professional enough for the likes of interns and residents, but its just a way for former-Jarheads- turned-physicians to keep in touch with some of their own. The MS group forum is by invite only so if you have a MS just add me to your friends and I'll invite you to the group. I would like for everyone who posted on this thread to join the MS USMC2DOC group.

Anyway, today was my first day on my psych rotation and I already saw the remnants of a shattered window s/p a successful escape attempt. This is gonna be a fun month!

Semper,

JMC

I will be there just as soon as I get back to a computer on a regular basis. :thumbup:

Devil Dogs!

1990 Parris Island Platoon 3090, then Camp Johnson 3043 school
1991 Camp 15 in the Sandbox
1992 MCAS El Toro
1993 4th MARDIV (Belle Chase)
1994 Fort McClellan 5711 school
1994-97 Tampa, FL 4th Tracks NBC NCOIC

YATYAS!

Boy, I hope you're right about that...that's one of the things I miss most of all.

How's life in MI treating you during these cold, winter days?

And this thread has sputtered out quite a bit...I was hoping that we could move it to MySpace (see my link above) where we can get to know each other a bit more. I understand though if its not quite professional enough for the likes of interns and residents, but its just a way for former-Jarheads- turned-physicians to keep in touch with some of their own. The MS group forum is by invite only so if you have a MS just add me to your friends and I'll invite you to the group. I would like for everyone who posted on this thread to join the MS USMC2DOC group.

Anyway, today was my first day on my psych rotation and I already saw the remnants of a shattered window s/p a successful escape attempt. This is gonna be a fun month!

Semper,

JMC

I like Michigan just fine. And my new program and hospitals are fantastic, especially compared to that scut-happy egomaniacal ****-hole (Duke) where I was last year.

Hey, I have an article on my blog about my psych rotation. Check it out. Also feel free to rebuke the occasional panty-waisted, mealy-mouthed, humorless girly-men who occaisionally open up their metaphorical cake-holes and spew thier vitriol as if anybody give a rat's ass about their pathetic feminine hygiene issues.

Holy crap! I just came across this thread for the first time!

I'm a former enlisted Marine turned Navy submarine officer (I know, I know :oops: ) turned med school applicant.

Here's my Marine Corps history:
12/1992 - Enlisted in CA
02/1993 - Graduated from MCRD San Diego (yes, I'm one of those Hollywood types) - Plt. 2103
04/1993 - Graduated from Phase IV of boot camp (aka Marine Combat Training at Camp Pendleton)
12/1993 - Completed 2841 (Ground Radio Repairman) MOS training in 29 Palms, CA (gotta love that place!)
12/1993 to 12/1994 - Overseas tour at Electronics Maintenance Company (ELMACO), 3D Maintenance Battalion, 3D FSSG on Okinawa
01/1995 to 08/1995 - H&S Company, 2D Amphibious Assault Battalion, 2D Marine Division on Camp Lejeune, NC
08/1995 to 05/1996 - Naval Academy Preparatory School in Newport, RI

Glad to see there are other jarheads pursuing careers in medicine. :thumbup:

Holy crap! I just came across this thread for the first time!

I'm a former enlisted Marine turned Navy submarine officer (I know, I know :oops: ) turned med school applicant.

Here's my Marine Corps history:
12/1992 - Enlisted in CA
02/1993 - Graduated from MCRD San Diego (yes, I'm one of those Hollywood types) - Plt. 2103
04/1993 - Graduated from Phase IV of boot camp (aka Marine Combat Training at Camp Pendleton)
12/1993 - Completed 2841 (Ground Radio Repairman) MOS training in 29 Palms, CA (gotta love that place!)
12/1993 to 12/1994 - Overseas tour at Electronics Maintenance Company (ELMACO), 3D Maintenance Battalion, 3D FSSG on Okinawa
01/1995 to 08/1995 - H&S Company, 2D Amphibious Assault Battalion, 2D Marine Division on Camp Lejeune, NC
08/1995 to 05/1996 - Naval Academy Preparatory School in Newport, RI

Glad to see there are other jarheads pursuing careers in medicine. :thumbup:

Sup moto, welcome to the thread...I just checked your MDapplicant profile...could you possibly be a bigger nerd if you tried? Well, I'm impressed by your stats and interview profile. Congrats on the multiple acceptances - you earned it.

ForcedEntry, glad you chimed in as well...I really am stoked when I see you guys so keep the updates coming.

Panda, I haven't been on your blog in a while, but I'll hit it up soon. Its a great read for any of you who haven't stumbled across it. The Panda-Man is quite the H. W. Longfellow of our time - a true poet.

Sup moto, welcome to the thread...I just checked your MDapplicant profile...could you possibly be a bigger nerd if you tried? Well, I'm impressed by your stats and interview profile. Congrats on the multiple acceptances - you earned it.

ForcedEntry, glad you chimed in as well...I really am stoked when I see you guys so keep the updates coming.

Panda, I haven't been on your blog in a while, but I'll hit it up soon. Its a great read for any of you who haven't stumbled across it. The Panda-Man is quite the H. W. Longfellow of our time - a true poet.

Thanks for the welcome! Yeah, I think I might have outdone myself with that GPA in Aerospace Engineering. I am a nerd. What can I say?

Diggin' the Panda Bear's blog. Great stuff on there!

Great to see so many motivated people centered on a common goal.

My bio-
Platoon 2101 Parris Island 1997
MCAS Yuma VMA-214 (Avionics technician) 1998-2002
13th MEU U.S.S. Tarawa

Grossmont Community College -2006
Transferred to UC Berkeley for fall 2006
Major- Rhetoric
Over half-way finished with med. pre-req.s
GPA- 3.4

Because of my difficulties with chem., my gpa has fallen to 3.4 so I'm beginning to consider podiatry. Anyone with a similar situation?

Keep working hard and thanks for the thread!!!!

Hey guys,

Do we have to put the courses that we took while in the Marines in our primary app? I'm looking over my SMART transcript and hoping that I don't have to enter this crap in.

Semper Fi,
Wil

Hey guys,

Do we have to put the courses that we took while in the Marines in our primary app? I'm looking over my SMART transcript and hoping that I don't have to enter this crap in.

Semper Fi,
Wil

Were you able to receive credit for these courses towards an undergraduate degree? If you were, how is that reflected on your undergraduate transcript?

I would think that these would not be required to be included in AMCAS. I would just go with your undergraduate, post-baccalaureate (if applicable), and graduate (if applicable) coursework.

Because of my difficulties with chem., my gpa has fallen to 3.4 so I'm beginning to consider podiatry. Anyone with a similar situation?

My gpa was a 3.3 and my MCAT was eh...I would seriously consider being a PA if you're not set on medical school. You can finish training in 2years, get a gig workin' in orthopedics and make 6 figures in no time. Beats 4 and 4 and long ass hours as an intern as resident. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

JMC

Good morning teufelheunden,

JAG pogue-in-training checking in; considering making the switch to Navy medicine (crazy, I know). Much thanks and respect to all of you for your service (especially you crazy combat arms mofos).

USMCR (IRR) 2005-present
- OCS (4th Plt, Charlie Co, PLC-C/OCC-189) at lovely Quantico
- in law school now (PLC Law contract)
- active duty (TBS, NJS, etc) expected in 2008 (this may change if I go to med school)

PERSONAL
- graduated college in 2003
- worked for the Arlington Red Cross
- started law school in 2005
- GPA 3.03/MCAT 35-T

V/R,

Last edited:
Good morning teufelheunden,

JAG pogue-in-training checking in; considering making the switch to Navy medicine (crazy, I know). Much thanks and respect to all of you for your service (especially you crazy combat arms mofos).

USMCR (IRR) 2005-present
- OCS (4th Plt, Charlie Co, PLC-C/OCC-189) at lovely Quantico
- in law school now (PLC Law contract)
- active duty (TBS, NJS, etc) expected in 2008 (this may change if I go to med school)

PERSONAL
- graduated college in 2003
- worked for the Arlington Red Cross
- started law school in 2005
- GPA 3.03/MCAT 35-T

respectfully,
S/F,

Yut, yut!

Well done on your MCAT 4401, but imho, I think you're far better off staying focused on the whole law thing, but I know you didn't ask me. So on that note...welcome aboard and thanks for introducing yourself moto.

JMC

Got out of the marines in 96' didnt think that there were this many of us going into medicine... guess they taught us to put up with anything... lol

mcrd
pendelton MCT
29 palms mcagcs mcces
29 palms 2/7 electronics tech
wiu microbiology/zoology
MBA
3.7gpa/ 23 O mcat
LMU/DCOM medschool 2007 finally

mcrd
pendelton MCT
29 palms mcagcs mcces
29 palms 2/7 electronics tech
wiu microbiology/zoology
MBA
3.7gpa/ 23 O mcat
LMU/DCOM medschool 2007 finally

Welcome Slinkeyooo,

Congrats on your acceptance! Its a long freakin' road man so just standby for some serious downtime mixed in with a lot of exams and sleepless nights.

Semper,

JMC

Just ran across this thread. To echo the sentiments of others, I did not expect to run across many Marine brothers in here. In fact, I just changed my user name to something a little more "inside" from SemperFi because I discovered a couple Marines on the forums. I didn't want to give the impression that I was "one of those." You know, the 10% that just want to go around and holler about being a Marine, but all the Marines knew them as big pieces of $**t. I conclude with a salty ERRRR.

MCRD Parris Island, SC Aug 1999 Platoon Honor Man
MOS 2311 Redstone Arsenal Distinguished Graduate
OIF Kuwait and Iraq Jan 2003-Aug 2003 "Tip of the spear"
with CSSB-18 in support of 1stMarDiv laying waste.
Honorably discharged June 2006 from SMCR
Staff Seargent of Marines

I just ran across this forum as well. A little about myself:

Parris Island, 3046, L Co
School of Infantry,
3d Bn 5th Marines
- TF Wildfire
- 31st MEU (2002)
- Iraq, OIF I (Jan - May 2003)
1st Bn 1st Marines
- Iraq, OIF 3-7, with another deployment on the horizon.

My family and I are at a major crossroads in our lives. I've decided that I would like to pursue medicine. My wife is a bit apprehensive, as I am the sole provider. We have a baby on the way. My EAS is in June of 2009 and I will be 29 years old. At that point, I will probably have to do some post-bac studies to boost my GPA as well as help out on the MCAT. Some of my peers think I'm crazy as I have "missed my window" and I am "too old" but I tend to believe if there is the will, you can take the hill. My only concern is, I plan on going through the military (Navy) to get my M.D. and will most likely go until retirement, however, I'm trying to wargame how to provide a living, tackle school, and keep my family insured medically for those post-bac semesters. Any takers?

I apologize if these questions are answered in another thread or forum. I am still researching. I tell my wife that there are plenty of grants, scholarships and loans for us military types, especially OIF veterans. A penny for your thoughts.