Not open for further replies.

DDSbound17

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
**UTHSCSA Class of 2022**

Good luck to everyone!! :highfive:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Any OOS students hear anything? Or in state for that matter..

Members don't see this ad :)
Got offered an interview yesterday for October 2 here!.
Thats amazing! if you don't mind, could you say when you submitted your application and when TMDSAS transmitted it to the schools? Thank you so much!

Thats amazing! if you don't mind, could you say when you submitted your application and when TMDSAS transmitted it to the schools? Thank you so much! .
I submitted my application on July 11th, and it was processed on August 18th.

OOS student that got an interview invite today!

Reactions: 1 users
OOS student that got an interview invite today!
Huge congrats to you!!! I'm really hoping to get an invite there as OOS! May I ask stats and date you received the confirmation email that your app was complete? Any special connections to the school or state of Texas?

Huge congrats to you!!! I'm really hoping to get an invite there as OOS! May I ask stats and date you received the confirmation email that your app was complete? Any special connections to the school or state of Texas?
Thanks! I am over the moon!This is hands down my dream school :3
I had a 4.0 GPA, 20AA, work in an nonprofit dental clinic, research done in undergrad, study abroad, and active in pre dental clubs/ honors college. My whole family lives in Texas (except for my immediate family unfortunately!) but its where my parents originally were from. I don't believe I mentioned that my relatives all lived in Texas, however. I received my application confirmation on August 16! Good luck with everything!

Thanks! I am over the moon!This is hands down my dream school :3
I had a 4.0 GPA, 20AA, work in an nonprofit dental clinic, research done in undergrad, study abroad, and active in pre dental clubs/ honors college. My whole family lives in Texas (except for my immediate family unfortunately!) but its where my parents originally were from. I don't believe I mentioned that my relatives all lived in Texas, however. I received my application confirmation on August 16! Good luck with everything!
That's awesome! And ahh yeah I am really hoping for the best here, I received my app confirmation on August 7th so hopefully they are still inviting OOS (3.99 oGPA, 4.00 sGPA, 24 AA/24TS, and no significant ties to Texas but I am a Spanish major and want to work with Hispanic populations in the future)

May I ask, what's your interview date? Did they give you multiple dates to choose from?

That's awesome! And ahh yeah I am really hoping for the best here, I received my app confirmation on August 7th so hopefully they are still inviting OOS (3.99 oGPA, 4.00 sGPA, 24 AA/24TS, and no significant ties to Texas but I am a Spanish major and want to work with Hispanic populations in the future)

May I ask, what's your interview date? Did they give you multiple dates to choose from?

No they simply told me my interview date was October 30th, and that if I wanted to reschedule they couldn't guarantee I would get an interview. You have great stats I think you'll be fine!!! tbh I think what helped the most was the additional application you send in to all Tx schools (aside from the AADSAS one). They give you a chance to explain why you want to attend a Texas school, and I poured my heart out in that essay. I tried to make it as heartfelt and sincere as I could possibly communicate through paper and I think that is what did it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone who has interviewed already share their input on the interview process? Anything you recommend to prepare for?

Yes anyone want to give a quick rundown on how the day goes?

Should OOS bother to go to the interview?

Should OOS bother to go to the interview?
You're chances might be slight but you never know, you might be one of the few ones they pick! If you got an interview I would definitely take my chances and go!

You're chances might be slight but you never know, you might be one of the few ones they pick! If you got an interview I would definitely take my chances and go!
Do you think so? I almost was gonna retract my app b/c I think the chance is so low. They did offer me an interview, and I am wondering whether to go b/c airfare is so expensive.

Do you think so? I almost was gonna retract my app b/c I think the chance is so low. They did offer me an interview, and I am wondering whether to go b/c airfare is so expensive.
I had an OOS interview who also only accepts very few OOS but I went to it anyways because even though your chances are slight, you never know you could be that one person that gets in! I would say take your chances, yes fares are high but if you get in you'd be saving a good amount of money! What state are you from if you don't mind me asking?

I had an OOS interview who also only accepts very few OOS but I went to it anyways because even though your chances are slight, you never know you could be that one person that gets in! I would say take your chances, yes fares are high but if you get in you'd be saving a good amount of money! What state are you from if you don't mind me asking?
Ahh, that makes lots of sense. I am from CA!

mine too!
They allowed me to reschedule!!! I am so blessed b/c I am almost going to tell them that I cannot make it. They give me an alternative date for 12/4!

Question for all please.
I am Texas resident and i applied to all 3 TX schools and about 15 OOS. i have had 5 interviews from OOS but none in TX. However, TX schools are my #1 choice. Should i be worried? Also i heard they may just pass over my application because i applied OOS to many school and assume i will get into one of those. Could his be true? Did i hurt my self by applying to many schools OOS?

I applied to 10 OOS schools and I heard from 2 TX schools. They're still reviewing apps so don't lose hope!

They allowed me to reschedule!!! I am so blessed b/c I am almost going to tell them that I cannot make it. They give me an alternative date for 12/4!

Are you going to the Dec 4th one? I'm scheduled for that day!!

doesn't look like it! should we start a groupme chat in the meantime?

Reactions: 1 users
I’m going to start a GroupMe chat with another friend also accepted! If anyone wants to join send me your numbers through message so we can’t start meeting our future classmates!!

Did you all see that they finally made a FB page for C/O 2022

I have my interview in few days, any advice and tips please? :)

I’m going to start a GroupMe chat with another friend also accepted! If anyone wants to join send me your numbers through message so we can’t start meeting our future classmates!!
2nd round came out today!

Anyone who had an interview Dec 11th- onwards hear back 2nd round??

I'm interviewing there on Monday morning. Anybody have any tips?

Does anybody know wether to be panicked at this moment, this is my first choice and really hoping to get in.
Just curious, why is it your first choice? Are you wanting to do research? Don't panic yet. I have a friend who was accepted to SA late February a couple years ago.

Interview coming up, for those who interviewed how was the interview? any questions I should brush up on? and what about this school did yall like the most

Interview coming up, for those who interviewed how was the interview? any questions I should brush up on? and what about this school did yall like the most
The interview was very laid back. You will meet in a room, introduce yourself (they asked us to say name, major, where we're from, and one interesting thing we did in the past year), and then listen to a few people talk about the school and the new curriculum. You will have lunch with students and then interview with one faculty and one student. The questions I was asked included: Why San Antonio? What do you think of volunteering? What do you see yourself doing after you graduate dental school? What is your biggest strength? What made you interested in pursuing dentistry?

I guess I liked the new clinic building the most and the fact that they are updating their curriculum. However, THREE students at UT Health San Antonio strongly advised that if I was accepted to Houston or Dallas, to choose one of those over San Antonio (I took that as a major red flag and decided to choose Dallas). Ask the students questions that are really important to you and your education. In the end, we will all be dentists! Best of luck at your interview.

The interview was very laid back. You will meet in a room, introduce yourself (they asked us to say name, major, where we're from, and one interesting thing we did in the past year), and then listen to a few people talk about the school and the new curriculum. You will have lunch with students and then interview with one faculty and one student. The questions I was asked included: Why San Antonio? What do you think of volunteering? What do you see yourself doing after you graduate dental school? What is your biggest strength? What made you interested in pursuing dentistry?

I guess I liked the new clinic building the most and the fact that they are updating their curriculum. However, THREE students at UT Health San Antonio strongly advised that if I was accepted to Houston or Dallas, to choose one of those over San Antonio (I took that as a major red flag and decided to choose Dallas). Ask the students questions that are really important to you and your education. In the end, we will all be dentists! Best of luck at your interview.
Thank you my friend! I wonder why they said choose the other that is so odd. Sounds straightforward this will be my 5th interview so I think I will do fine just worried about some of my friends said they were grilled but looking forward to it

Thank you my friend! I wonder why they said choose the other that is so odd. Sounds straightforward this will be my 5th interview so I think I will do fine just worried about some of my friends said they were grilled but looking forward to it
I can tell you exactly why the students I spoke to suggested I choose another school. This is summarizing a few points made by current students:

Many of the professors are ex-military and have arrogant and “I’m better than you” demeanors. They do not care about how you are doing in the class.

The school is focused on research. Personally, I enjoy research, but I was looking for a strong clinical school rather than a research school. Students told me they receive very little guidance in lab, so they never know what is expected. They could spend a whole day on a project and then turn it in just to find out they did it all wrong. I get that learning from your mistakes can be a good thing, but I value clear guidelines and quality teaching.

If you want to teach yourself the majority of dentistry, go to San Antonio. With the new curriculum, DS1 and DS2 are getting less lab time because of the new schedule.

This one is the worst: I was told some professors will sign off on projects done incorrectly instead of actually giving valuable feedback. So, your “success” depends on who is grading your assignment rather than actual skills and performance. Subjectivity will be everywhere, but again I value feedback and constructive criticism.

These are honest things I was told by students at San Antonio, and of course if somebody can refute these statements, please do! I think it’s important to gather facts before making such a big decision. I asked the same questions to students in Dallas, and received much more comforting responses about how they do things in Dallas compared to San Antonio.

Smaller things I personally didn’t like about San Antonio:
The school and clinic are far away from each other as opposed to in the same building. The atmosphere was clearly very competitive and it seemed like the students didn’t really like each other. The person giving the tour said San Antonio was not her first choice, but it was the only school that accepted her. You have to purchase a new computer from the school (even if you have a brand new computer). I just didn’t get a good, genuine vibe here.

As for your friends getting grilled, it all depends on the student and faculty you are interviewing with, so I guess be prepared for anything! My faculty interviewer didn't smile at all throughout the interview, but I stayed calm and answered the questions with my great big smile, full of enthusiasm.

Status
Not open for further replies.