The Ohio State - defer and reapply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toitoitoi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Ohio State allows you to defer for a year and reapply at other schools without losing your spot?

Members don't see this ad.

I've seen posted on other threads that some (select) schools allow this.

I've been accepted at The Ohio State, but I'd rather attend my state school (family ties and all that). I applied late to my state school and haven't yet gotten in (my stats are good, I just submitted my app late). I want to go to my state school, but I'm not willing to give up an acceptance and start from scratch.

Members don't see this ad :)

I've been accepted at The Ohio State, but I'd rather attend my state school (family ties and all that). I applied late to my state school and haven't yet gotten in (my stats are good, I just submitted my app late). I want to go to my state school, but I'm not willing to give up an acceptance and start from scratch.

So why don't you write a letter of intent to your state school by saying that you have been accepted elsewhere but you will decline the acceptance if you are given an acceptance at your state school.

ohio state is great school. i would love to go there. if they don't let you defer and reapply, stick with osu rather than turning them down to reapply. there's always residency to return home!

ohio state is great school. i would love to go there. if they don't let you defer and reapply, stick with osu rather than turning them down to reapply. there's always residency to return home!

:thumbup: This is very good advice. OP, I really hope that you get into your state school, but if you don't, remember that OSU lets you pay in-state tuition after the first year. Also, as aspiring med mentions, you can always return home for residency. Just think of med school as a 4 year... um... "vacation." ;)

I have the same probelem. Same school too. Let me know what you find out!

I think it would be absolutely silly for a school to let you do this, even if you have a decent reason. I agree with the person who said to write the letter of intent to the school you would like to go to. If that doesn't work I think you have to make the decision of whether or not you can stick it out.

um wouldn't you have to mark on next cycle's amcas that you have matriculated into a med school previously? i thought that was a big red flag for schools.

1 of these need to be stickied