The Path to Zoo Vet - Winding or No?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WhenTheFireNationAttacked

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a specific dilemma I need help with. First off, I am about to enter my final year at Vet School. My long-term goal is to enter the zoo vet med field. But, I was recently offered a position at a really GREAT small animal clinic.

I understand that the path to ZooVet involves an internship and then a residency. But, I am curious if taking a few years and working in a small animal clinic right after graduation is a good idea? Would using that time to solidify my skills make me a better candidate for zoo internships? Or will it be seen as a sidetrack/waste of time? Is getting a zoo internship right out of school even possible??

xoxo

Members don't see this ad.

I have a specific dilemma I need help with. First off, I am about to enter my final year at Vet School. My long-term goal is to enter the zoo vet med field. But, I was recently offered a position at a really GREAT small animal clinic.

I understand that the path to ZooVet involves an internship and then a residency. But, I am curious if taking a few years and working in a small animal clinic right after graduation is a good idea? Would using that time to solidify my skills make me a better candidate for zoo internships? Or will it be seen as a sidetrack/waste of time? Is getting a zoo internship right out of school even possible??

xoxo
My mentor (a zoo vet) is strongly pushing me to get a few years out in GP to get my loans down a little before trying to get an internship/residency. Words I've been told:

Getting a zoo internship immediately after graduation is highly unlikely, if not impossible. You won't do well as a new grad at a zoo (per a zoo internship that I've talked to, anyways). They want (need) you to have experience first, whether that be a rotating internship or a few years in GP. There are a lot of conflicting opinions regarding one year of rotating vs. a few years in GP when it comes to being a better candidate for a zoo internship.

Once you sidetrack off your 'path,' it can be hard to get back in your original lane. People are getting publications out as second year students, going to conference yearly, etc. You do have to try to stay relevant while you'd be in GP, as zoo med is fiercely competitive. You can't really 'decide to be a zoo vet' later in life anymore. Maintain your connections, take relevant CE, try to see exotics/wildlife at your job if at all possible (I've been told to try to start up my own exotics service in an existing clinic).

Also, zoo med doesn't have to be an internship/residency. You can theoretically get into a zoo with the right background, you just won't be on the fast track to board certification. I knew a vet who finally got hired into a big zoo after spending a good length of time volunteering as a backup vet. There are ways, they just are becoming few and far in between. There's a general movement towards zoos wanting to hire/contract board certified vets.

Edit: Wanted to add that there are rotating/ER/etc internships that do see exotics as well, they just aren't 100% zoo/exotics gigs. They're a good way to work your way into a full zoo internship. MECA in Wisconsin comes to mind, and I know one of their current interns and several alumni of that program. Everyone seems to love it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hi. I'm the Director of a large AZA-accredited zoo. We employ three full-time veterinarians, three RVTs, and other hospital support staff.
You're correct that it is challenging to find a job at an accredited zoo. In addition to that, zoo vet salaries tend to run a bit lower than in private practice. Of course, there are many advantages as well, from the conservation missions of today's best zoos to the "unlimited resource" attitude the best zoos bring to animal care (resources are never withheld when the best interests of an animal calls for something; economics simply don't enter the picture). And the combination of an outstanding network of colleagues with a broad variety of species means that zoo vets are never bored!
However, there are only about 230 accredited zoos and aquariums, and probably under 400 full-time veterinarian jobs. I'd guess that there are fewer than 20 positions a year available, and, of course, those tend to go to candidates with experience: internships, residencies, volunteer work, and actual zoo work history.
Many small zoos use part-time veterinarians, as do many unaccredited zoos. If you are willing to pay your dues, you might think about working in private practice but volunteering or working part-time at an exotic animal rescue center or unaccredited zoo. You'll have to pay attention to ethical issues and never compromise your own, but it can help get you the experience you'll need.
Today's best zoos aren't about "exhibiting" animals. They're about presenting animal ambassadors that help create change in the public and get them to care about conservation, all while providing a superbly enriching life for the animals in their care. Zoo vets play a major role in that process.

Reactions: 1 user