The Phrase That You Find Most Annoying In Your Rejection Letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Most Annoying Phrase In Your Rejection Letter...

• Although you are a highly qualified....

Votes: 44 32.1%
  • We regret to inform you...

Votes: 20 14.6%
  • We wish you good luck in your dream of pursuing a career....

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • Over 6,000 applicants for 135 spots (numbers vary)....

Votes: 20 14.6%
  • In no way reflects.....

Votes: 22 16.1%
  • You will receive no further communication from our office....

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • Why Not Just Say it like it is: "YOU ARE A BIG FAT LOSER"

Votes: 8 5.8%

• Total voters

rachel711

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hmm....

Members don't see this ad.

I think they should have 2 diff rejection letters; one for those people who arent good enough to attend the school and another for those people who are too good for that school. it's so annoying when ur reading a rejection letter and the school wants to be all like "ur good, but not good enough" and ur like "no, ur not even top 50, X school of medicine; i'm too good FOR YOU "

Members don't see this ad :)
at first i felt that words like "unfortunately, regret to inform you, unable" were bad.

but words like "congratulations on making it this far... remarkable applicant... qualified etc" i feel would be worse in the context of a rejection.

--

"we looked at your grades, and if we could, we would have shed a tear for you."

I really hate, "We are unable to advance your application...". The "unable" is what gets to me, because if they are NOT able, who is? It's linguistic dodginess and avoids taking responsibility for making choices.

How about:

Sincerely,
(No signature)

:mad: :mad: Case!!

"We hope your potential will be fully realized in another school."

:mad: :mad: :mad:

true blue said:
"We hope your potential will be fully realized in another school."

:mad: :mad: :mad:
thas prolly one of the worst ones....

i dont mind the other stuff cause its probably true (lots of qualified applicants, their regret to inform you, etc), but when they say that the rejection "In no way reflects....." -- its a total lie.

what? are they just randomly rejecting people then?

How about the truely patronizing: "Please do not construe our decision to mean that you are unqualified for a career in medicine." Thanks Univ. of Rochester.

I am a big fan of Dartmouth's:

"We are about to deliver news you are sure to find disappointing...."

You assume too much, Dartmouth.

after careful consideration...

please, you have completely defaced the word careful by opting for that definition (i.e. Attentive to potential danger, error, or harm, cautious), and if you were to mean the more positive and courageous interpertation of the word (i.e. full of cares or anxieties), as if you're somehow loosing sleep over this decision, then that's just an insult.

med schools actually hire firms to draft rejection letters with interesting phrases.

jk....haha

melimi said:
I think they should have 2 diff rejection letters; one for those people who arent good enough to attend the school and another for those people who are too good for that school. it's so annoying when ur reading a rejection letter and the school wants to be all like "ur good, but not good enough" and ur like "no, ur not even top 50, X school of medicine; i'm too good FOR YOU "

rock on :laugh:

AStudent said:
How about:

Sincerely,
(No signature)

:mad: :mad: Case!!

this one's funny....like no one wants to take blame for rejecting you...how big of them

i think the worst is the first choice--"although you are highly qualified..."

its a blatant lie. you know they're sending the same damn letter to everyone with a 2.8 and a 17 MCAT. highly qualified for what? sending a check for a secondary fee? tossers.

I once got a letter like that from Cold Spring Harbor's summer undergraduate research program:

"We cannot accept your application...

I like the fake part where they say "We wish you all the best in your future endeavors..."

:mad: :mad: :mad: :laugh: