The Republic of Texas XLII: You Don't Just Move Into Texas, It Moves Into You

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the yearly discussion thread we call "The Republic of Texas." for 2023-2024

The Republic of Texas XLII: "You Don't Just Move Into Texas, It Moves Into You"
Manny Fernandez

texas-flag-gate-field-wildflowers-1536x995.jpg copy.jpg

This quote is not from a native Texan, but from the talented New York Times Houston Bureau Chief Manny Fernandez.
Mr. Fernandez was born in California, and when asked what he does:
What I Do
"I try to explain Texas to non-Texans."

You don't have to be a Texan to apply to Texas schools. Once you're here, Texas just might move into you, too.

This is a general talk and support thread for Texas school applicants, where we can:
check in with each other
share our news
see where various schools are with their interview process
and just post those things we don't want to put on a school-specific thread.

Go here for the first Texas Roundup posts: Texas Roundup

I'll answer questions here if I know the answers, but keep the technical questions about TMDSAS process over on the thread we have for that:

*~*~*~* Official TMDSAS Questions Thread 2023-2024 *~*~*~*

cVoQXac-2-2-2-2.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
I'll be sharing things with you as I hear them and as our cycle unfolds.
Some of the schools have sent out their first interview invitations in July.
Some schools don't start inviting until late August, so "no news" is not bad news, and there are months of invitations to come.

I'll come back to this thread to edit and add dates of the invites that I hear about, and update as more schools take action.

~*~*~Interview Invitations~*~*~
UT Tyler: July 3, 20, 25, Aug 21, Sept 28, Oct 16, 19, 23, Nov ?, Nov 28, Dec 13//
Texas Tech Lubbock: July 11,17, 20, 21, 26, 27, Aug 4, 14, 20, 22, 31, Sept 1, 6, 7, 8, 16, 19, 25, 26, Oct 4, 7, 16, 18, Nov 8, 10, Dec 5, 29, Jan 4//
Texas Tech El Paso: July 12, 19, 22, Aug 1, 4, 11, 28, Sept 5, 20, Oct 3, 30, Nov 9, Dec 21, Jan 5//
McGovern: July 13, 19, Aug 1, 3, 9, 17, 23, 31, Sept 6, 12, 19, 20, 27, Oct 5, 10, 12, 16, 18, 25, Nov 1, 8, 28, Dec 12//
U of H Fertitta: July 17, Aug 4, 22, 25, 28, Sept 11, Oct 6, 24, 31, Nov 14, Dec 4//
EnMed (A&M): July 18, Aug 24, +?//
Texas A&M: July 19, 24, Aug 2, 8, 14, 16, 23, Sept 12, Oct 19, Nov 9, 16, Jan 8//
Dell: July 19, 24, 26, 27, Aug 7, 16, Sept 17, 25, Oct 11, 30, Nov 3, 7, 8, 14, 15, 16, Dec 19, Jan 10, 18//
Baylor: July 21, 25, Aug 1, 8, 14, 15, 22, 29, 30, Sept 12, 19, 26, Oct 3, 9, 31, Nov 8, Dec 4//
UTMB: July 24, Aug 11, 12, Sept 7, 8, 20, Oct 27, Nov 17, 21, 22//
UTSW: July 31, Aug 1, 4, 23, Sept 22, Oct 16, Nov 13, 14, 24//
Long: July 31, Aug 8, Sept 12, 19, 28, Oct 6, 13, 17, 31, Nov 8, 10, 13, 14, 17, 28, Dec 6, Jan 8, 9//
UTRGV: Aug 9, 18, 23, 24, 29, Sept 1, 8, 13, 19, 22, 25, 26, Oct 2, 4, 11, Nov 13//
TCU: Aug 17, 30, Sept 7, Oct 4, 17, Nov 8, Jan 19

SHSU (DO): July 3, 6, 11, 27, Aug 4, 21, 22, 29, 30, Sept 7, 27, Oct 5, 6, Nov 17, 21, Jan 4//
UNTHSC (TCOM) (DO): July 28, 31, Aug 2, 16, 31, Sept 11, 14, 20, 29, Oct 3, 11, 12, Nov 7, 13, 22, 26, Dec 8//
UIWSOM (DO): Aug 7, 17, Sept 10, 19, Oct 5, 6, 18, Nov 16, 28, Dec 20, Jan 20, Feb 5, 11,

Go Here to see when the first pre-match offers for this year came out! #228

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users
Wanted to share this thread for anyone else like me who is admittedly a bit neurotic about II orders. Going to make sure I have other goals this year that do not involve medical school.

Hoping the best for us all!

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Random question but do Texas schools do post-II R before the match, or is it that every school you interview at you're eligible to rank during the match?

Random question but do Texas schools do post-II R before the match, or is it that every school you interview at you're eligible to rank during the match?
It is pretty uncommon but it has happened.
If a school does happen to reject you after an interview, don't rank them for the match because they won't have you on their possible match list.

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone have a list of TX schools that specifically call for II/acceptances/pre-matches rather than email, or alternatively, do schools who call for II leave voicemails? I work so I can't always pick up the phone and I get a lot of spam calls, so picking up the phone is always a roulette game.

Does anyone have a list of TX schools that specifically call for II/acceptances/pre-matches rather than email, or alternatively, do schools who call for II leave voicemails? I work so I can't always pick up the phone and I get a lot of spam calls, so picking up the phone is always a roulette game.
They will always leave a voicemail message if it’s important.
Offers of acceptance pre-match come by email and on Match Day you will see the Match in your TMDSAS portal
The only one that previously liked to call for interview invitations is Dell, (edited to add yes, Dell is still calling for interview invitations)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
UTSW does email for II, acceptance, and scholarships. At least, they did for me. Same for Baylor and McGovern.

I don't remember 100%, but I think Dell, UTMB, and Long emailed me for interview as well.

Can anyone else confirm? I was an OOS applicant, so no match for me.

Does anyone know if CASPER scores are required to be received by texas schools in order for them to send you an II or do they allow scores to come in up until the day of the interview?

Does anyone know if CASPER scores are required to be received by texas schools in order for them to send you an II or do they allow scores to come in up until the day of the interview?
The schools that want to see CASPer scores before they decide on interview invitations are:
UTMB
UTSW
Texas Tech El Paso

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I cant imagine a school REQUIRING them would invite people without them since many schools need a file to be complete before passing it to reviewers. It is possible to be ignored for highstats or other attractive candidates but wont be a norm.

Just stopping by to say hi, y'all! I'm a former Texan of 7 years and a current OOS applicant hoping to be lassoed back into the state by the good grace of an admissions committee. I'm a little behind on my apps; I submitted 7/1 (the earliest I could) and will likely be waiting 2-3 more weeks before my TMDSAS verification. At that point, I hope to turn around my secondaries pretty quickly and get on the interview train. Good luck everyone!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Just stopping by to say hi, y'all! I'm a former Texan of 7 years and a current OOS applicant hoping to be lassoed back into the state by the good grace of an admissions committee. I'm a little behind on my apps; I submitted 7/1 (the earliest I could) and will likely be waiting 2-3 more weeks before my TMDSAS verification. At that point, I hope to turn around my secondaries pretty quickly and get on the interview train. Good luck everyone!
Grab a cowboy hat!

Members don't see this ad :)
As a traditional applicant, it's great to have you here!

Grab a cowboy hat!
I still have my cowboy boots, belt, and wranglers!

One of my friends, a surgery resident in Dallas, actually wears his boots at work every day. Apparently, that flies there. A madman, if you ask me.

I still have my cowboy boots, belt, and wranglers!

One of my friends, a surgery resident in Dallas, actually wears his boots at work every day. Apparently, that flies there. A madman, if you ask me.
Haha, plenty of docs and nurses around here wear their boots with their scrubs.

Dell called me for II. They did leave a voicemail but it was a "I'm X from Dell Medical School, please call me back." They did not send the email until after I verbally confirmed via phone. N=1 though.

Haha, plenty of docs and nurses around here wear their boots with their scrubs.

All day, standing during surgery though? Those Ariats better have a special type of cushion in 'em.

I wonder how many interviews TMDSAS applicants usually get. :unsure:

• Hmm
I wonder how many interviews TMDSAS applicants usually get. :unsure:
They used to have a data page that showed stats (not sure if it showed interviews to acceptances) but I can’t seem to find it.

They used to have a data page that showed stats (not sure if it showed interviews to acceptances) but I can’t seem to find it.
The website for this tool still exists, but for the past couple weeks it has just displayed a white screen with an error message. I have been wondering if it is because they are updating it for the new cycle.

Reactions: 2 users
The website for this tool still exists, but for the past couple weeks it has just displayed a white screen with an error message. I have been wondering if it is because they are updating it for the new cycle.
That tool does show how many IS vs OOS applicants get interviews & acceptances, but it does not break it down into how many interviews per student.

Honestly incredibly grateful for the 2 II I have now! Very surreal. I came into this app cycle thinking I would be DOA for texas schools due to my low gpa. Any extra interviews would just be a cherry on top haha

• Love
Honestly incredibly grateful for the 2 II I have now! Very surreal. I came into this app cycle thinking I would be DOA for texas schools due to my low gpa. Any extra interviews would just be a cherry on top haha
You're doing amazing❤️

• Care

Same. I’m extremely happy with the 3 IIs I have gotten so far. I thought that my low ECs would have doomed my application. Any more would be amazing!

TCOM has openly reported their number of II to acceptances. Are there any other Texas schools that report this information?

TCOM has openly reported their number of II to acceptances. Are there any other Texas schools that report this information?
All schools report this information on the MSAR database.
If you don't have a subscription to it, getting one is the best $28.00 you will spend all year.
It's useful for a lot of reasons, and posting its info widely isn't allowed under the terms of the subscription.

If you don't have a subscription to it, getting one is the best $28.00 you will spend all year.
It's useful for a lot of reasons, and posting its info widely isn't allowed under the terms of the subscription.
I do. I didn’t realize they posted the number of acceptances offered. Thanks!

MSAR unfortunately just has II-to-matriculation, not the total number of acceptances. What I've seen is that for most schools, a rule of thumb is you can multiply the number of matriculants by 1.5 to 2x to get the number of acceptances, though at some schools that number is closer to 3x. (Let me know if I'm wrong there)

@purkinjekitty
There's also this helpful spreadsheet, which is from a few years ago, so it is a little outdated but is still the best source of information I've found about this. It's based on USNWR data

• Love
MSAR unfortunately just has II-to-matriculation, not the total number of acceptances. What I've seen is that for most schools, a rule of thumb is you can multiply the number of matriculants by 1.5 to 2x to get the number of acceptances, though at some schools that number is closer to 3x. (Let me know if I'm wrong there)

@purkinjekitty
There's also this helpful spreadsheet, which is from a few years ago, so it is a little outdated but is still the best source of information I've found about this. It's based on USNWR data
you’re awesome! Thanks so much for sharing😁

It seems like last week was relatively quiet for II’s, I wonder if we will see an active week this week since it will be the first week of August. 🤔

Reactions: 4 users
It seems like last week was relatively quiet for II’s, I wonder if we will see an active week this week since it will be the first week of August. 🤔
I think so, because UTSW and Long haven’t come out with any interviews (according to the tracker) and last year they came out around this time, between last week of July and first week of August

I think so, because UTSW and Long haven’t come out with any interviews (according to the tracker) and last year they came out around this time, between last week of July and first week of August
How often do these two schools offer II’s this early to applicants in the LM low 70’s? I know they are both very high stat so I didn’t know how that played in this early.

How often do these two schools offer II’s this early to applicants in the LM low 70’s? I know they are both very high stat so I didn’t know how that played in this early.
Dont know about Long but UTSW follows group 1 and group 2 policies where their initial IIs always go to high stat students. There may be some exceptions to this where they look at institutional needs like low income first gen/URM that are exceptions.

In the past they had no reviews for high stat IS apps classified as group 1 but lately they added that step and some considered high stat dont even get called.

Dont know about Long but UTSW follows group 1 and group 2 policies where their initial IIs always go to high stat students. There may be some exceptions to this where they look at institutional needs like low income first gen/URM that are exceptions.

In the past they had no reviews for high stat IS apps classified as group 1 but lately they added that step and some considered high stat dont even get called.
That’s very interesting thanks for sharing!

What would be considered “high stat” 😭

Hi! Just out of curiosity, what year did TMDSAS start doing a match? Did they start that relatively recently or have they always done it that way?

haven’t heard back from any tx schools yet, LM 73 and complete early july. im
seeing ppl with similar stats and later completion getting IIs so should I be concerned if I don’t hear back this week?
It's really hard to watch those first few interview invitations go out, but it doesn't mean you have been turned down.
Be sure you have done everything you need to be complete, including doing the CASPer test, and settle in for this long period of waiting.

seeing ppl with similar stats and later completion getting IIs so should I be concerned if I don’t hear back this week?
this is just anecdotal, but i have two friends that are current medical students. both applied early (june/july) but did not get IIs until October or later, and both of them got a match in their respective years! My LM is similar to yours and I am also waiting, so you are not alone :)

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
Its too early to panic. There are so many rounds of interviews and not everybody gets invited at once.

Even with the match moving from March to February?
In all likelihood, the last dates going into January will disappear for interview calls.

Last year

Texas Tech El Paso: July 5, 6, 18, 21, Aug 1, 5, 11, 23, Sept 9, 16, Oct 5, 23, Dec 27, Jan 4, 10 //
Dell: July 14,19, Aug 1, 2, 18, Sept 9, 12, 13, Oct 18, Nov 8, 9, 11, Dec 19, 22, Jan 13, 18, 25, 30 //
McGovern: July 15, Aug 1, 4, 19, 23, 29, 30, Sept 7, 13, 22, 27, Oct 18, 24, 26, Nov 2, 8, 15, 29, Dec 6, 7, Jan 3//
Baylor: July 19, 27, Aug 9, 16, 25, Sept 7, 15, 22, Oct 4, 31, Nov 8, 29, Dec 12, 20 //
UTMB: July 22, 23, Aug 9, 26, Sept 23, 27, Oct 28, Nov 18 //
Long: July 25, 26, Aug 26, Sept 6, 7, 13, 20, Oct 4, 17, 18, 24, 27, Dec 1, 7, Jan 5 //
A & M: July 26, Aug 4, 15, 22, Sept 20, Oct 3, 27, Nov 2, 8, 29, Dec 5, 12, Jan 2, 3, 4, 5, 23//
Texas Tech Lubbock: July 27, 28, 29, Aug 10, 12, 23, 29, Sept 9, 13, 14, 23, 26, 27, Oct 13, 18, 19, Nov 1, 3, 7, 18, 28, 30, Dec 6, 8, 12,
Jan 10//
U of Houston Fertitta: Aug 1, 3, 11, 19, Sept 6, 30, Oct 11, 18, Nov 29, 30, Jan 2, 23, 24, Feb 1 //
UTSW: Aug 3, 22, Sept 13, Oct 4, 14, Nov 3, 18, 22 //
UT Tyler: Aug 17, 18, 22, Sept 8, 13, Oct 6, 21, Nov 17, Dec 13, 20 //
UTRGV: Sept 2, 8, 9, 16, 19, 21, Oct 5, 7, 10, 12, 27, Nov 3, 11, 23 //
TCU: Sept 7, 19, 23, Oct 31, Dec 1, 14, 20, Jan 6, 9, 26, Feb 24, March 6, 8 //

TCOM (DO): July 6, Aug 2, 10, 22, Sept 12, 26, Oct 7, 24, Nov 2, 11, 23, 30, Dec 6, Jan 4, 6, 9 //
SHSU (DO): July 8, 11,18, 20, 29, Aug 1, 10, 15, 22, Sept 6, Oct 1, 3, 10, Nov 18, 29, Jan 3 //
UIWSOM (DO): Aug 3, 10, Sept 1, 2, 19, 22, Oct 11, 12, 13, Nov 14, 28, Dec 13, 16, 17, Feb 11,
This year

UT Tyler: July 3, 20, 25,
Texas Tech Lubbock: July 11,17, 20, 21, 26, 27,
Texas Tech El Paso: July 12, 19, 22, Aug 1,
McGovern: July 13, 19, Aug 1,
U of H Fertitta: July 17,
EnMed (A&M): July 18,
Texas A&M: July 19, 24, Aug 2,
Dell: July 19, 24, 26, 27,
Baylor: July 21, 25, Aug 1,
UTMB: July 24,
UTSW: July 31, Aug 1,
Long: July 31,

SHSU (DO): July 3, 6, 11, 27,
UNTHSC (TCOM) (DO): July 28, 31,

Even with the match moving from March to February?
The match was always in February until they switched to March in 2021.
Personally, I applaud the decision to put it in February again because the last couple of cycles people were simultaneously on WLs and submitting their reapplications in May.
I hope there will be less overlap in cycles this way.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
So I know Dell and Long both say they do continuous app review where they might look at your app a 2nd time later in the cycle, but do all the Texas schools do that? Or are they just looked at once?

So I know Dell and Long both say they do continuous app review where they might look at your app a 2nd time later in the cycle, but do all the Texas schools do that? Or are they just looked at once?
I will not pretend to know what goes on behind the curtain of the great Wizard of OZ.
(do people your age still watch that? LOL)
There are lots of ways they can go about reviewing thousands of applications, but my estimation would be that they get reviewed more than once. The review process is not uniform across schools.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
I will not pretend to know what goes on behind the curtain of the great Wizard of OZ.
(do people your age still watch that? LOL)
There are lots of ways they can go about reviewing thousands of applications, but my estimation would be that they get reviewed more than once. The review process is not uniform across schools.
Agree. I am certain there are some apps being filtered out based on credentials. Very hard for Baylor to pick someone with a 3.5/500 as an example but it doesn't stop people from applying since it is a single TMDSAS app. UH wont pick someone with 4.0/525 interested in research since they are not offering that in their mission statement.

If your overall app meets the goal of the school, you are in contention until they run out of slots for interviews. The real issue is that they have only so many interview slots and there can be 2-3 times the people who can be in the ballpark of the interview even if they have 8-10 times the applicants.

Do yall prefer in person or virtual interviews in Texas? I know in person can be more difficult for schedules, but I loved my in person interview and felt very disconnected during my virtual interview.

Do yall prefer in person or virtual interviews in Texas? I know in person can be more difficult for schedules, but I loved my in person interview and felt very disconnected during my virtual interview.
Most are still virtual this year.
SHSU, UT Tyler, and EnMed are in person. Edited to add UTRGV is also in person.
UIWSOM gave a choice last year
Anyone know of any others in person?

Last edited: