The Republic of Texas XLIII: "Never Eat Mexican Food East of the Mississippi or North of Dallas"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
3.86 cGPA, 3.75 sGPA, and 501 MCAT. 2nd Q Casper. ORM. No II invites so far. I guess I am just hoping for a later invite but it’s hard. Looking for some success stories about late invites or words of encouragement. My stats aren’t the best but maybe it is possible?

Members don't see this ad.

3.86 cGPA, 3.75 sGPA, and 501 MCAT. 2nd Q Casper. ORM. No II invites so far. I guess I am just hoping for a later invite but it’s hard. Looking for some success stories about late invites or words of encouragement. My stats aren’t the best but maybe it is possible?
Pretty soon (November 1) is the deadline for TMDSAS primary submission so the schools will then know what their total applicant pool looks like.

That’s when they will look over all the apps again and invite some of you who have been waiting.
Your MCAT of 501 probably is a factor in not getting an earlier interview but there are some accepted with that score every year.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No just wanted to stay in TX for family reasons and i only applied MD. I’m a TX resident
It's fine to want to stay in Texas, but you really should have applied DO. I don't really know how late the DO cycle is or how it's going, but if you can add those schools on TMDSAS I would immediately. It's fine to hope for miracles and I hope you get into an MD school as well, but you're going to want to apply DO to improve your chances.

Did I commit a blunder? TX resident 3.92 cGPA, 3.96 sGPA, 507 MCAT, ORM with a unique backstory (according to my advisor). I completed all my secondaries in mid-August but did not realize that Casper would take weeks to verify and that it was needed for schools to even look at my app. I took Casper on 9/17, and scores were sent to schools on 10/01. Does that mean my official complete date is 10/01, and would that significantly hurt my chances?

Did I commit a blunder? TX resident 3.92 cGPA, 3.96 sGPA, 507 MCAT, ORM with a unique backstory (according to my advisor). I completed all my secondaries in mid-August but did not realize that Casper would take weeks to verify and that it was needed for schools to even look at my app. I took Casper on 9/17, and scores were sent to schools on 10/01. Does that mean my official complete date is 10/01, and would that significantly hurt my chances?
Most likely, yes your complete date would be 10/1 because the Casper is required for a complete file at most of the Texas schools.

When TMDSAS presentations stress “apply early”, they mean in terms of submitting your primary app.
However your application has only been considered complete, up until now, at the TMDSAS schools which do not require CASPer. (These 4: UTRGV, TCOM, Dell, and UH Fertitta).
The others have not considered you for interviews yet because the score was missing from your file.
You still have a chance for full consideration at all the schools now.
The main harm you have done is to your own peace of mind- you have probably been very worried since August that no interviews were coming your way.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
This is the only blunder I can see. Acuity Insights spells out that it takes 2-3 weeks for scores to be released to your designated schools, and this schedule only affects the schools that require it for screening. If there are any errors, it's your understanding of the process or a mistake in score processing (if it took longer than 4 weeks), but that is not a mistake contributing to your file review or issuing interview invitations.

TL/DR: you assumed incorrectly. This is not a catastrophe. Stop embracing assumptions that cause you more anxiety than necessary.

Last edited:
What the heck is a prematch and what does it mean?
A pre-match offer is a true offer of admission, and gives you an early clue that the school really likes you and wants you to attend. If you get a prematch offer, you can take the pressure off yourself and know you are going to med school next year. Pre-match offers are only for Texans applying in the TMDSAS system. Schools MAY begin making pre-match offers on October 15, but they don't HAVE TO.
In fact, UTMB let y'all know that they will hold off on making prematch offers until December. Other schools may also delay until their interviews are over.

Can I keep on attending more interviews after I get a pre-match offer?
Yes, you can, especially if you would like to give yourself more options or a chance at the school you "think" is your favorite. Sometimes your opinion of a school can get better or worse after your interview day, so your ranking of the schools where you interview can change with time.
But hey, what if the pre-match is to your dream school? Up to you: go to further interviews, or stop here.

How many applicants get a Pre-match offer?
For the first time, in the 2020-2021 cycle, TMDSAS published the data on how many applicants got prematch offers.
Here is the link to the data from my post in 2021: #46 (No, I don't have more current graphs & I'm not sure TMDSAS will publish this regularly)
Prematch offers go to a minority of eligible applicants (1 in 7, or 14%).
Don't let this small part of TMDSAS Match system affect your self-worth!
Most Texas matriculants match on Match Day (this year it's February 14, 2025), having had no prematch offers at all.

Can I rank a school I didn't Pre-match with higher than a Pre-matched school? Will I lose everything if it doesn't work out?
You can rank your favorite schools in any order you wish. If you rank a non-Prematched school as #1 and they don't choose you, you still have your Pre-Match school to fall back on. Remember, your Pre-match is a true offer of admission, and you can't gamble it away by taking a risk with your ranking list. If you happen to have more than one pre-match school, the one you ranked highest is the one you'll be going to.

If I accept or respond to a school that made me a Pre-Match offer, is it binding?
No, you are allowed to accept and hold more than one TMDSAS offer up until Match Day. You will come out of Match Day with one school only.
All the TMDSAS schools know the system, nobody will be offended if you wait until Match Day for your final determination.

This is my informational post about pre-match offers for the 2024-2025 cycle.

I will talk about the TMDSAS Match in detail later, closer to Match Day.
You should all take time to watch the TMDSAS video discussing the TMDSAS Match, here: Medical Acceptances, Pre-Match Offers, and Ranking
Sign up for the TMDSAS mailing list for updates so you can know if they are going to host a live Q&A about TMDSAS Match this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
What the heck is a prematch and what does it mean?
A pre-match offer is a true offer of admission, and gives you an early clue that the school really likes you and wants you to attend. If you get a prematch offer, you can take the pressure off yourself and know you are going to med school next year. Pre-match offers are only for Texans applying in the TMDSAS system. Schools MAY begin making pre-match offers on October 15, but they don't HAVE TO.
In fact, UTMB let y'all know that they will hold off on making prematch offers until December. Other schools may also delay until their interviews are over.

Can I keep on attending more interviews after I get a pre-match offer?
Yes, you can, especially if you would like to give yourself more options or a chance at the school you "think" is your favorite. Sometimes your opinion of a school can get better or worse after your interview day, so your ranking of the schools where you interview can change with time.
But hey, what if the pre-match is to your dream school? Up to you: go to further interviews, or stop here.

How many applicants get a Pre-match offer?
For the first time, in the 2020-2021 cycle, TMDSAS published the data on how many applicants got prematch offers.
Here is the link to the data from my post in 2021: #46 (No, I don't have more current graphs & I'm not sure TMDSAS will publish this regularly)
Prematch offers go to a minority of applicants (1 in 7, or 14%).
Don't let this small part of TMDSAS Match system affect your self-worth!
Most Texas matriculants match on Match Day (this year it's February 14, 2025), having had no prematch offers at all.

Can I rank a school I didn't Pre-match with higher than a Pre-matched school? Will I lose everything if it doesn't work out?
You can rank your favorite schools in any order you wish. If you rank a non-Prematched school as #1 and they don't choose you, you still have your Pre-Match school to fall back on. Remember, your Pre-match is a true offer of admission, and you can't gamble it away by taking a risk with your ranking list. If you happen to have more than one pre-match school, the one you ranked highest is the one you'll be going to.

If I accept or respond to a school that made me a Pre-Match offer, is it binding?
No, you are allowed to accept and hold more than one TMDSAS offer up until Match Day. You will come out of Match Day with one school only.
All the TMDSAS schools know the system, nobody will be offended if you wait until Match Day for your final determination.

This is my informational post about pre-match offers for the 2024-2025 cycle.

I will talk about the TMDSAS Match in detail later, closer to Match Day.
You should all take time to watch the TMDSAS video discussing the TMDSAS Match, here: Medical Acceptances, Pre-Match Offers, and Ranking
Sign up for the TMDSAS mailing list for updates so you can know if they are going to host a live Q&A about TMDSAS Match this year.
1/7 applicants, or 1/7 of those with interviews?

1/7 applicants, or 1/7 of those with interviews?
of those with interviews
In the most recent year with complete data available (EY2023)
4814 Texans applied
3309 interviewed
2339 were accepted
2077 matriculated to a TMDSAS school.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
of those with interviews
In the most recent year with complete data available (EY2023)
4814 Texans applied
3309 interviewed
2339 were accepted
2077 matriculated to a TMDSAS school.
"Prematch offers go to a minority of applicants (1 in 7, or 14%)."

I was referring to this :D ^

• Okay...
"Prematch offers go to a minority of applicants (1 in 7, or 14%)."

I was referring to this :D ^
They can’t go to anybody with no interviews, so….
Were you one of those toddlers who asked “why” just to ask why? Don’t do this to your med school profs.

They can’t go to anybody with no interviews, so….
Were you one of those toddlers who asked “why” just to ask why? Don’t do this to your med school profs.
Wait ur right that was an omega brain fart lol

Edit: wait I’m not as dumb as I look, I was just asking if 14% of total applicants prematch or if 14% of only those who interview 🫣

Last edited:
Wait ur right that was an omega brain fart lol

Edit: wait I’m not as dumb as I look, I was just asking if 14% of total applicants prematch or if 14% of only those who interview 🫣
The post @wysdoc is referencing from 2021 clearly states 14% of those that are interviewed.

"3508 people were interviewed (56% of applicants)
502 people got a pre-match offer (1 out of 7 who interviewed got a pre-match offer, or 14%)"

I'm not holding my breath when it comes to the pre-match. I'll be stunned and elated to receive anything before 2/14.

The prematch process favors some candidates who end up getting a prematch at many of the places they interview thus having the problem many of the same candidates admitted to most schools in Texas. At least this explains why only 500 received a prematch and most others get matched on match day.

The match process exists so they strip away all the additional admissions early on. i.e., in February by forcing people to rank and keep only one while releasing the additional seats to other deserving applicants so they may not need to wait until late April to see if they can go to medical school.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 3 users
As much as I’m not expecting to hear anything until match day, it is exciting that some of us could potentially have some peace of mind in a couple weeks! Good luck everyone, I hope you all pre match

• Care
515 MCAT, 3.95 GPA, good clinical and research ECs. App was complete by July 25th.

However, only got one interview invite from McGovern? Been p much complete radio silence for me this cycle

Am I right in thinking this is weird and probably not very promising? Is it time to self-reflect and figure out how to improve the app for next year?

Don't mind brutal honesty

515 MCAT, 3.95 GPA, good clinical and research ECs. App was complete by July 25th.

However, only got one interview invite from McGovern? Been p much complete radio silence for me this cycle

Am I right in thinking this is weird and probably not very promising? Is it time to self-reflect and figure out how to improve the app for next year?

in state or oos?

After schools see their total pool of applicants for the year (deadline for TMDSAS primary soon Nov 1) they will review people they haven’t interviewed yet & send out a bunch more invitations

It’s not uncommon at this point to have 1 or zero interviews

After schools see their total pool of applicants for the year (deadline for TMDSAS primary soon Nov 1) they will review people they haven’t interviewed yet & send out a bunch more invitations

It’s not uncommon at this point to have 1 or zero interviews
appreciate u broseph. I think I'ma shoot for an update letter and see if it shakes the boat. Been hungry this app cycle so I tried meaningfully buffing my resume these last few months.

Any advice on how TX update letters should be phrased/strategized? I'll def google around too.

appreciate u broseph. I think I'ma shoot for an update letter and see if it shakes the boat. Been hungry this app cycle so I tried meaningfully buffing my resume these last few months.

Any advice on how TX update letters should be phrased/strategized? I'll def google around too.
Tell what you have been doing that's new since you turned in your application.
If there's nothing new, just say one or two things that stand out to you about the school and why you would like to be part of it.